Little Cup CCAT (Poll now up!): Please see post 142!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we use Exeggcute, we have to use mine (sorry Raseri). Substitute allows it to get to Harvest without risking the OHKO. Exeggcute with Substitute abuses its infinite health with Toxic Spikes to great success (it's best to pair it with Diglett in order to beat out the fucker that is Croagunk). Likewise, Substitute lets it get a heavy hit on something that would try and break its sub, but would otherwise kill it (Taillow, Gastly, switch in from Mienfoo's U-Turn, Scraggy, Doduo, Shelmet, Larvesta, Darumaka, etc etc). It just provides a lot more utility. HP Fire isn't needed at all.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think that Eggy is my top pick for right now, as I prefer balance teams, but a hyper offense team with Omanyte would also be fun. Which leads me to my question: is it possible to use Omanyte on a balanced team? I feel like we're limiting our options to hyper offense if we pick Omanyte but that could just be me.

Edit: What do you guys think of Larvitar with Ddance?

One enormously underrated threat in the metagame I've used is Eviolite Shell Smash Shellder. It's a multipurpose pokemon that fills several roles and is just allround awesome. Eviolite lets it tank hits and strike back with icicle spear for breaking subs. When you're in the mood to sweep, don't fret about the lost defense. You basically have gained a free +2 in all relevant offensive stats because Eviolite "negates" the defense drops (you go back to your original defensive stats which are pretty good for handling priority, tbh). I've managed to sweep so many teams with it back in the Gligar metagame (he was my primary set up fodder...). I don't know how well it would do now, but it still seems like a very powerful underrated threat. Here's the set. I tried to make a team around this guy with cosmicexplorer, but forgot all about it....

Shellder (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard
- Shell Smash
Ice shard is mainly filler and to bypass croagunk's sucker punch. It can be replaced with a water attack for stab and the steels, though.

I use that Shellder set, it's pretty awesome. Even if you don't have a chance to set up a shell smash, you'd still be surprised how much damage this guy can dish out.

Horsea (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I've never tested this set myself, but I think it would be interesting to use a Rain Sweeper instead of using Drilbur. I'm not really sure how easily Horsea can set up RD on its own, but I think it can find many opportunities to set up thanks to her great defensive typing and decent Physical bulk (Its SpD is very lacking, though...). Hydro Pump just murders under rain and a boost from LO, or at least I imagine it does since I've never tested this set. Ice Beam and HP Grass give great coverage along side Hydro Pump. The only problems I see with this set is the setting up of RD, and Horsea's inability to KO Pokemon who resist Hydro Pump. Especially since Eviolite was introduced in this Gen.

But I think it would be fun to try a rain team in LC :D

I'm supporting blarajan's Exeggcute too. With infinite Subs and Toxic Spikes support, it can destroy almost anything slower than it that's not immune to poison.

All credit to the Exeggcute goes to whoever wrote the analysis.

Though it's a fucking monster. Why doesn't anyone use it...TOXIC SPIKES + EXEGGCUTE + OMANYTE TEAM GOOGOO.

Why would you use Toxic Spikes and Sleep Powder at the same time? You lose to Steel-types either way. Just use Spikes or Stealth Rock instead.

Trust me, I've tested Toxic Spikes and it doesn't work as well as you think. The Pokemon that Exeggcute normally beats are the only ones getting hit by Toxic Spikes, and Toxic Spikes isn't helping against what normally beats Exeggcute. It also means stuff can switch in easier, as they don't have to fear Sleep Powder.

SAY NO TO TOXIC SPIKES

source: I wrote the set

Toxic Spikes aren't a necessity, as it's fucking effective regardless. I probably just was luckier in my use of Toxic Spikes, because I didn't test it extensively.

Damaging hazards alone is also excellent.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why would you use Toxic Spikes and Sleep Powder at the same time? You lose to Steel-types either way. Just use Spikes or Stealth Rock instead.

Trust me, I've tested Toxic Spikes and it doesn't work as well as you think. The Pokemon that Exeggcute normally beats are the only ones getting hit by Toxic Spikes, and Toxic Spikes isn't helping against what normally beats Exeggcute. It also means stuff can switch in easier, as they don't have to fear Sleep Powder.

SAY NO TO TOXIC SPIKES

source: I wrote the set
You can't deny that Substitute and Toxic Spikes allow Eggy to keep a Substitute up while faster opponents die though (assuming they take damage from tspikes). Simply sub every turn yeah it works ok

Crux

Banned deucer.
So it seems that discussion as to what we want to base our first fifth generation CCAT around has just about died out. So it is time to decide who made the best suggestion, and the best set for our team. Here are your options!

1. Offensive Dratini
  2. Shedrest Dratini
  3. SD Teddiursa
  4. Scarf Growlithe
  5. Scarf Machop
  6. Belly Drum Zigzagoon
  7. Harvest Exeggcute
  8. Scarf Mienfoo
  9. Agility Chinchou
  10. Shell Smash Omanyte
  11. Swords Dance Drillbur
  12. Shell Smash Dwebble
  13. Scarf Scraggy
  14. Cottonee
  15. Shell Smash Shellder
  16. Rain Dance Horsea
In order to vote you must post the name of the set you are voting for in bold like this or it will not be counted.

Example said:
Shell Smash Omanyte
I would really appreciate it if you guys posted reasoning behind your votes, as it helps to make the process more worthwhile and better in the longterm.

With all that being said, this poll will be closed in around a week, so the 20th of October or around there.

Let's start voting!

Harvest Exeggcute (Leaf Storm/Psychic/Sleep Powder/Substitute)

It can be splashed onto a lot of teams and can fit a lot of different styles, allowing an effective set for any team type that we decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)