Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Thanks. I must admit I was surprised it got as far as it did (I would have loled if I actually broke my personal best with it).

Anyway I've been theorymonning again and I think I've come up with something cool for doubles:

Illumise @ focus sash
Sweet Scent
Substitute
Bug Buzz
Thunderbolt

+

Smeargle @ choice scarf
Dark Void
Taunt
Fake Out
Switcheroo

The idea is to have Illumise use a Prankster-boosted Sweet Scent to give Dark Void 100% accuracy (allowing Smeargle to put both opponents to sleep instantly). Fake Out and Lum Berry will screw it up though, and sleep isn't as good as it used to be. Meh...

2. Second time was actually battle #98. I knew a fast Taunt was going to be a problem, but yah, I didn't really have a good way around it.
Turn 1. Gengar Taunt. Arbok cannot use Scary Face.
Turn 2. Switch to Smeargle. Gengar Shadow Ball no damage.
Turn 3. Switch to Arbok. Focus Blast.
Turn 4. Gengar Taunt. Arbok cannot use Scary Face.
Turn 5. Switch to Smeargle. Shadow Ball no damage.
Turn 6. Switch to Arbok. Focus Blast.
Turn 7. Shadow Ball KO. (Does not look good...)
Turn 8. Focus Blast MISS. Spore.
Turn 9. Sleep. Sub.
Turn 10. Wakes up Focus Blast. Acupressure (forgot what boost I got, not Evasion).
Turn 11. Focus Blast miss. Spore.
Turn 12. Sleep. Sub.
Turn 13. Wakes Up Focus Blast miss. Acupressure (forgot what boost).
Turn 14. Taunt. Cannot use Spore.
Turn 15. Struggle. Counter (did not break sub).
Turn 16. Struggle. Counter (did not break sub). Taunt ends.
Turn 17. Taunt. Cannot Spore.
Turn 18. Switch to Espeon. Counter.
Turn 19. Switch to Smeargle. Shadow Ball.
Turn 20. Switch to Espeon. Taunt bounced back to Gengar.
Turn 21. Switch to Smeargle. Shadow Ball.
Turn 22. Smeargle Spore. Sleep.
Turn 23. Sleep Acupressure (not speed or evasion boost)
Turn 24. Wake up Taunt. Cannot Acupressure.
Turn 25. Switch to Espeon. Counter.
Turn 26. Switch to Smeargle. Shadow Ball.
Turn 27. Switch to Espeon. Taunt Bounce back.
... Repeat 21 to 27 until no more Shadow Balls.
Turn N minus 8. Espeon Sub. Taunt Bounce Back.
Turn N minus 7. Espeon Calm Mind. Counter.
Turn N minus 6. Espeon Calm Mind. Counter.
Turn N minus 5. Espeon Calm Mind. Counter.
Turn N minus 4. Espeon Calm Mind. Counter.
Turn N minus 3. Espeon Calm Mind. Struggle.
Turn N minus 2. Espeon Stored Power KO.
Turn N minus 1. Espeon Stored Power KO.
Turn N. Espeon Stored Power KO.

Other than taunt, I was thinking priority moves might prevent Smeargle from setting up too, if it's low enough in health from Subs. That has not happened yet.
I just saw this now, but this team as awesome. Just one thought: it seems like, after the first cycle of Taunt -> Shadow Ball -> Focus Blast, you could have predicted the Taunt, switched to Espeon, and bounced it back. In general, it seems like you could deal with fast Taunt leads just by recognizing them and switching appropriately. So when you see Gengar, if you know it has Taunt, switch straight to Espeon then back to Smeargle, and if you don't know for sure, switch to Smeargle to take the possible Shadow Ball and switch to Arbok if it uses Taunt on Smeargle (since it'll hit with a resisted Focus Blast), then back to Espeon to reflect Taunt, then back to Smeargle. Other fast Taunters can still cause you problems (Weavile, Zoroark!, Electrode, Froslass), but at least it deals with one potential problem, and a number of faster Taunters would probably rather just try to kill you (Haxorus, anyone?).

I'm guessing you're not using Moody on Smeargle so you avoid stupid hax like dropping your own Speed or Accuracy, but it would still be awesome if it worked. I mean, +4 every turn you use Acupressure is insane.

Thanks. I must admit I was surprised it got as far as it did (I would have loled if I actually broke my personal best with it).

Anyway I've been theorymonning again and I think I've come up with something cool for doubles:

Illumise @ focus sash
Sweet Scent
Substitute
Bug Buzz
Thunderbolt

+

Smeargle @ choice scarf
Dark Void
Taunt
Fake Out
Switcheroo

The idea is to have Illumise use a Prankster-boosted Sweet Scent to give Dark Void 100% accuracy (allowing Smeargle to put both opponents to sleep instantly). Fake Out and Lum Berry will screw it up though, and sleep isn't as good as it used to be. Meh...

Interesting idea, few weeks ago i was concidering something similar. I looked into using Lilligant with Teeter Dance and Quiver Dance, partnered with an own temp smeargle (similar set to yours) or a prankster sub/set up poke (sub to avoid confusion then set up while they hopefully HTSIC) but never got round to it.

Interesting idea, few weeks ago i was concidering something similar. I looked into using Lilligant with Teeter Dance and Quiver Dance, partnered with an own temp smeargle (similar set to yours) or a prankster sub/set up poke (sub to avoid confusion then set up while they hopefully HTSIC) but never got round to it.
Once in every four battles, the opponent would hit you through confusion with both Pokemon on turn 1, and that's assuming you actually manage to confuse both of them before they move (meaning they can't be faster, have a Lum or Persim Berry, or have Own Tempo themselves). It's not like Lilligant is exactly built to survive two attacks either (70/75/75 isn't going to take two attacks, particularly when it's weak to Bug, Flying, Ice, Fire, and Poison). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that strategy isn't worth using a full two Pokemon to pull off.

a fairy

I’ll be at PAX East! Will you?
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Good morning, Subway enthusiasts! I rarely enter this thread due to my views that the Battle Subway is for fun, and you guys like it competitive, but either way, we are all in the same position: for whatever reason, we like the Battle Subway. A thread has been posted in the Suggestion Box, asking for a subforum for the Battle Subway! However, it was asked if there would be enough people to keep the place active and put work into it. If you feel that you could help, post in the thread saying you could help with that: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457118

Super Doubles Train
Win Streak: 140 199

Mienshao | Jolly | Regenerator
31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
141 | 177 | 80 | 103 | 80 | 172
Fake Out | U-Turn | Hi Jump Kick | Wide Guard

Togekiss | Modest | Serene Grace
31 / x / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
161 | 55 | 115 | 189 | 135 | 198*
Air Slash | Aura Sphere | Heat Wave | Trick
*Speed is 132 without the Choice Scarf boost

Latios | Timid | Levitate
31 / 28 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
156 | 98 | 100 | 182 | 130 | 178
Dragon Pulse | Psyshock | Thunderbolt | Draco Meteor

Metagross | Adamant | Clear Body
31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
76 HP | 252 Atk | 180 Spe
165 | 205 | 150 | 103 | 110 | 113
Meteor Mash | Earthquake | Ice Punch | Bullet Punch

Team Nejiki ver 1.2
  • Mienshao - Bait-and-Switch Lead, the idea is to Fake Out on Turn 1 and U-Turn out on Turn 2. Hi Jump Kick is there if I know that I can grab the KO, Wide Guard is rarely used, but is handy for predicted Rock Slides and Blizzards. Almost useless against faster leads after Turn 1, Crobat is his worst nightmare as it can outspeed him, laugh at Fake Out, and OHKO back with STAB Brave Bird.
  • Togekiss - 85% of the time I lead with Air Slash because of the somewhat reliable 60% Flinch rate courtesy of Serene Grace. 10% of the time I use Aura Sphere when both leads resist Flying-type, and 5% of the time I use Heat Wave when both opponents are weak to Fire (ie. Hail teams). I've never found a situation for using Trick, maybe I'm a bad battler for not using it, but I'd rather Flinch my opponents to death. I may replace with Hidden Power Ice or Tri Attack in the future.
  • Latios - Hit hard and fast is his motto. Specs Draco Meteor is nothing to scoff at as it can easily OHKO a lot of stuff that isn't Steel-type. Dragon Pulse is the most used move for being reliable, Psyshock for STAB and hitting Special Walls, and Thunderbolt for bulky Waters and Steel-types who would otherwise laugh at this set. Normally, Life Orb would be the item of choice for coverage but by the time Latios enters battle, the opponent is usually down to half of their team anyways, allowing me to pick a move that can hit both targets for at least neutral damage.
  • Metagross - This guy is awesome and has saved me from losing my streak on many occasions. Buller Punch is my lifeline when the opponents gets up Trick Room or is faster than 'Gross. I orginally ran Air Balloon, but after the suggestions of R Inanimate and Chinese Dood, I gave him a Steel Gem to power up Bullet Punch enough so that it can score OHKOs on threats such as Archeops and Froslass assuming they're not Sashed. Meteor Mash hasn't Meteor Missed enough for me to consider using Iron Head; the Attack boost has helped me on a few occasions.

Hit List (Shit that gives me trouble)

• Weather - I almost lost to a Worker with a Sand team and Sand Veil hax. God help me if there's a Scarfchomp or Sand Rush Excadrill. Hail is more annoying since they almost always pack 100% Blizzards. Wide Guard is my insurance, but if Mienshao's down, Latios and Togekiss will take a hell of a lot of damage if they miss.
  • Legendary Trainers - Goddamn cheaters. The most annoying ones to take down are the Genies, especially Thundurus with its priority Thunder Wave.
  • Bulky Waters - Especially Water/Ground variants.
  • Sucker Punch in general. That's how I lost my streak.

How I Lost
I got a bit careless and ended up losing to Kangaskhan 2 and Lilligant 3 of all things. Forgot to save the video in my fit of rage, oh well. I was 4 battles away from that Starf Berry too...​

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there a reason for Metagross to have an Air Balloon? Earthquakes don't do very much to it, and Earth Power is a pretty rare move.You might be better off having something like a Choice Band, Occa Berry or Wide Lens (if you are really worried about missing or BrightPowder hax).

Is there a reason for Metagross to have an Air Balloon? Earthquakes don't do very much to it, and Earth Power is a pretty rare move.You might be better off having something like a Choice Band, Occa Berry or Wide Lens (if you are really worried about missing or BrightPowder hax).
I guess I'll try Wide Lens then, as Meteor Mash hasn't Meteor Missed yet and I'd like to keep it that way. I had it for EQ resist, but after some playing I've found switching breaks the Balloon anyways so I'll replace it. Thanks for catching that.

Steel Gem is worth a consideration too for one time attack boost on either Bullet Punch or Meteor Mash. Gem boosted Bullet Punch OHKOs Aerodactyl, Froslass, and Weavile 100% of the times - assuming no sash obviously. Unboosted never OHKOs, and Iron Plate/Metal Coat boost has low chance to OHKO.

I've put hundreds of hours into this and cannot get past 48 wins, which I got to only once. I just keep getting haxed to death! It's so frustrating.

My latest loss was in doubles. I had a full-health Registeel with five Curses and Leftovers left against a Ferrothorn and Escavalier. Escavalier was almost knocked out from my other Pokemon and its Life Orb. The only way for me lose was if Escavalier got two critical hit Swarm boosted Megahorns in a row... which is exactly what happened.

I don't know how you guys do it. ._.

I've put hundreds of hours into this and cannot get past 48 wins, which I got to only once. I just keep getting haxed to death! It's so frustrating.

My latest loss was in doubles. I had a full-health Registeel with five Curses and Leftovers left against a Ferrothorn and Escavalier. Escavalier was almost knocked out from my other Pokemon and its Life Orb. The only way for me lose was if Escavalier got two critical hit Swarm boosted Megahorns in a row... which is exactly what happened.

I don't know how you guys do it. ._.
Stuff like that can happen, which tends to ruin great streaks. Be sure to have good team synergy as you can still win even in the worst situations.

Speaking of streaks, I took Chinese Dood's advice for Steel Gem and now I'm sitting at 112 wins for Super Doubles. (and can still keep going)

I'm at 105 wins now on Super Double Battles.

Early on, I was mostly just testing out my Trick Room team, but after I passed the Subway Boss, I decided I better put up a better team and went with Sand Storm.

@ Ground Gem
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 60 HP/ 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Nature: Adamant
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
- Protect

@ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect

@ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Force
Nature: Jolly
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance

@ Dragon Gem
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Adamant
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

This team was very designed to play together, but has worked out well for me with just its pure power running over teams. Order of the day is to spam Earthquake with Excadrill, and back it up with Tyranitar taking out a bulky Pokemon that survives.. or whatever is top priority. I have been worried about Fake Out leads popping his Balloon before Excadrill uses Earthquake, but thus far it hasn't been an issue (and I continue to Protect if I suspect a priority attack first turn).

I did carry Swords Dance over X-Scissor for a while, but Excadrill so rarely has time to set up and X-Scissor adds some welcomed coverage. Tyranitar was originally a terribly designed Rock Polish variant from Gen IV, but has worked out well enough for me. With max speed, he actually out paces quite a bit and can land a strong Crunch, or Rock Slide.

Landorus and Garchomp are simply there for power, even if their coverage doesn't add much. They usually muscle through and outspeed everything. I've kept setup moves on both, although either rarely has time to dance, Garchomp does find Substitute to be pretty useful.

Obviously my one huge weakness are the Ice teams the Subway continues to throw at me. So far I've been lucky enough to avoid a lot of Froslass Blizzard spam and haven't encountered a single Abomasnow yet even though I've had a lot of 4 Ice Pokemon teams. Another weakness is simply type coverage; no Fire moves, no Electric, a lot of Rock and Ground. But for the most part, I just muscle through everything regardless. And everything on the team is bulky enough to usually take a hit.

It's been a pretty easy to play team. The one reason I switched from Trick Room was TR just requires one wrong move, a flinch one turn, or a surprise Protect, to ruin the sweep. TR is very entertaining though, and I want to go back to refining the team at some point.

Since I can't get Cobalion without restarting my game...and RNG is super confusing...I'm going to try this time once I get them bred and trained:

Conkelldur @ Flame Orb
Adamant - Guts
4 Def/252 Att/252 Spe
- Payback
- Bulk-Up
- Mach Punch
- Superpower

Bulk-Up first turn to activate Guts, than start to pound through things with Mach Punch/Superpower. I was debating on using Machamp instead with Bullet Punch/Close Combat/Thunderpunch/Protect with the same idea, but since MP get STAB I figured it would work better.

Whimsiscott @ Focus Sash
Jolly - Prankster
252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Light Screen
- Flash

I don't have access to Memento/Worry Seed Whimsi yet so I went with this build just to help Conk out and let him setup afterwards. I figure Taunt first, if Sash breaks start Flashing, if it simply cancels one of their moves hit the Light Screen/Thunderwave and than Flash.

Porygon 2 @ Evolite
Bold - Trace
252 HP/42 Def/210 SpD
- Substitute
- Recover
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

If the other 2 go down, Pory2 is my last line of defense (get it, lol) since he can stall long enough to hopefully win. I went with Ice Beam for his last slot incase Taunt hits before I can get a sub up, and it hits so many things for neutral damage.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Whimsiscott @ Focus Sash
Jolly - Prankster
252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Light Screen
- Flash

I don't have access to Memento/Worry Seed Whimsi yet so I went with this build just to help Conk out and let him setup afterwards. I figure Taunt first, if Sash breaks start Flashing, if it simply cancels one of their moves hit the Light Screen/Thunderwave and than Flash.
Whimsicott doesn't learn Thunder Wave. Use Stun Spore instead.

So it doesn't. lol. I must have been looking at another pokes TM list when I was looking up moves.

Do u guys think Drain Punch would work better than Mach Punch? Although after 2 BU he can practically OHKO everything with MP...the Drain Punch can help with longevity especially with the Burn every turn.

Dragon madness. YES.

Latios @light clay
Levitate/timid
252hp 4def 252 speed
-reflect
-light screen
-memento
-draco meteor

Haxorus @lum berry
Mold Breaker/adamant
4hp 252atk 252spd
-dragon dance
-outrage
-earthquake
-brick break

Salamence @yache berry
Moxie(ftw)/naive
252atk 4sp.atk 252 speed
-dragon dance
-dragon claw
-fire blast
-earthquake.

I will get to a high record with this without blizzard hax. i promise you. :naughty:

@BeastMode2010: Mach Punch and Drain Punch are both useful. It's actually just sort of difficult to have Conkeldurr as a set up pokemon, especially with Flame Orb. Sometimes the best it can probably do is set up one Bulk Up and then attack if it is holding Flame Orb. With Drain Punch it might be able to afford to set up twice and attack to gain back health if it's faster than opponent, but without Mach Punch it will probably just faint to the next incoming pokemon.

So, either way, it'll be sort of hard with Flame Orb. With Flame Orb, you are probably better off with both Drain Punch and Mach Punch and just aiming to set up once. Of course there may be plenty of times where it will be able to set up two or 3 times, but you always have to prepare for the worst.

ohmygosh.
just thought of a brilliant idea.

fake out spinda.
now how does it work?

heres the gist of the team:

spinda/contrary
-fake out
-wish
-protect
-filler

latias/levitate
-role play
-draco meteor
-sub
-recover

chansey
-healer
-toxic
-softboiled
-seismic toss

-filler poke.

this is a doubles strategy.
what you do is you copy contrary with latias and spam draco meteor. GG

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As cool as Contrary Role Play sounds, there are always issues to deal with for these teams:

-Faster Fake Outs
-CB Dragonite, Quick Claw Druddigon, etc.
-90% accuracy of Draco Meteor
-status/flinch hax from faster pokemon
-etc.

I honestly can't remember the last time throwing all your offensive force into one basket has ever worked for much more than say 100 battles.

Seems decently viable. First couple turns will be very crucial though. I.e. First turn Latias Role Plays while taking a hit, and 2nd turn unboosted Draco Meteor may not KO. After that, it would be at +2 SpA, but Draco Meteor can still only target one opponent. Might potentially be better to have a Dry Skin Toxicroak in the back to fake out after Spinda faints or switches as Latias uses Surf.

Latias needs a wide Lens or something. Sash for Spinda obviously.

EDIT: Maybe Spinda can Flash Latias to boost its Accuracy lol :P Of course.... Latias would have to move first still so the first DM will still be at 90%.

youre right about the first couple of turns being very crucial.

maybe i could try dragon gem to get that extra power to get the first kill?

and maybe an offensive spread with latias?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)