Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

@RiggityRob: No need for choice scarf. Ninjask should be able to pass multiple +Speed which should be sufficient for Rampardos. That said, the hone claws boosts will be difficult as Ninjask cannot survive anything. So it's most likely sashed to "ensure" one hone claws with protect for the speed boosts, assuming no priority moves. Hope you can see that that's not so amazing. Rampardos at +1 can do plentiful damage to things, but it has to take a hit switching in from the baton pass, and then it's "only" at +1 which most certainly does not OHKO everything.

Oh yeah, sash doesn't go very well with sub either. So if we're going the sub @ leftovers route... Once you sub and your opponent attacks you with anything (since basically anything will break its sub), Ninjask can't even baton pass any hone claws with reliability.

Alright, thanks for the feedback - my original idea was passing Speed + Hone Claw boosts to Metagross for Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt, since it's fairly bulky, just a bit slow, but then I remembered Rampardos has the highest non-Uber Attack stat in the game, plus it gets Head Smash.

150 x 1.5 coming off a 165 base stat should KO anything that doesn't resist Rock, since it has a similar power to Darmanitan's Sheer Force boosted Flare Blitz, and with Mold Breaker, Earthquake gets rid of the levitating Steels - the only problems I could see were a) Head Smash's 80% accuracy and b) Rampardos' 58 base Speed stat, so Speed Boost + Hone Claws should fix that, and the Choice Scarf was for cases where Taunt is used against Ninjask so it can't pass more than one boost.

I just like the idea of smashing through teams with brute force tbh.

Yeah, Ninjask just doesn't really work if you're going to pass to Rampardos... that said though, maybe it can work if you have 2 choices to pass to ... I dunno. Like, if somehow you have two different pokemon that covers each others' weaknesses that can benefit a lot from speed boost... maybe that can work (I can't think of much though... like, maybe Breloom + water type/thick fat/dragon pokemon or something resisting ice and fire... a fast spore breloom is nearly unstoppable other than Insomnia pokemon.)

EDIT:
O yeah, so I was just randomly trying out pokemon in Double... Working decently but definitely not amazingly with these leads:

Sableye / Careful or Calm (I forgot) / Prankster @ Lum
- Will-o-wisp / Leer / Recover / Rain Dance

Qwilfish / Adamant / Swift Swim @ Life Orb
- Protect / Waterfall / Poison Jab / Explosion

... Usually this can get me to a 3 to 2 advantage after exploding (and then back pokemon to take advantage of rain), but yeah, plenty of room for lots of unexpected things to happen. I was thinking probably I should just use Normal Gem on Qwilfish since probably 70% of the time It's just going to Protect + Explode or just explode, so I won't have to use Expert Belt for the Latios/Starmie in the back ... or whatever else it might be.

I was meaning to try something like this back in HGSS, using sash Gengar instead of Sableye (and obviously having 3 attacks + rain dance instead of no attacks). Actually... I did try it with Rain Dance Mismagius before, but it didn't get very far. The other thing was to use sun instead (and of course Shiftry instead of Qwilfish). Anyway... I'll see if I can develop this into something good, or just scrap it and try something else entirely.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I like that idea. Qwilfish + rain is probably equivalent to Shiftry + sun anyway. Qwilfish has the advantage of getting a STAB that is actually boosted by rain, but by the sounds of it you rarely use them so it hardly matters.

Shiftry does get a STAB that is super effective against most of the Ghosts though, and it's grass STAB is super effective against the pokemon with Damp (Quagsire, Poliwrath and Politoed). If you have back-ups that deal with these it probably doesn't matter though.

On the topic of Baton Pass teams, I tried this one out in singles a while ago:

Venomoth @Focus Sash
Tinted Lens
Timid 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass

Hydreigon @Lum Berry
Levitate
Modest 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
- Flamethrower

Magnezone @Expert Belt
Sturdy
Modest 64 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- HP: Ice
- Substitute

I originally had a MM/Zen Headbutt/EQ/Hammer Arm Metagross instead of Magnezone, but its damage output was poor since I felt like I had to run wide lens.

The team was ok, it only peaked at 50-something wins. The idea was to have two receivers who resist Venomoth's weaknesses and pass to the appropriate one. The biggest problem I had was that the CPU tended to use weaker moves when Venomoth was a low health, making prediction a lot more difficult than I imagined. For example, a fighting type might use Stone Edge on Venomoth and knock it down to its sash. I BP to Magnezone hoping to take a rock move, but instead it CCs my face.

Often times it would work really well though with clean 3-0 sweeps. I might give it another go. Maybe try and fit sub on Venomoth, though that wouldn't go well with sash.

I like that idea. Qwilfish + rain is probably equivalent to Shiftry + sun anyway. Qwilfish has the advantage of getting a STAB that is actually boosted by rain, but by the sounds of it you rarely use them so it hardly matters.

Shiftry does get a STAB that is super effective against most of the Ghosts though, and it's grass STAB is super effective against the pokemon with Damp (Quagsire, Poliwrath and Politoed). If you have back-ups that deal with these it probably doesn't matter though.
Basically waterfall used on rock and/or steel types that resist Explosion (or bulky ground types that I figured might survive the Explosion). Poison Jab basically for grass types (and Damp pokemon I guess). Shiftry certainly has better coverage on the things that Explosion can't hit (or hit well) aside from steel types. The thing is that I don't think I even have a Shiftry right now hehe.

The main thing with the Sableye team was that Sableye has prankster rain dance and leer, while being immune to explosion, so can usually do Leer + Explosion 2nd turn (assuming rain first turn) for damage that is nearly as powerful as what explosion was back in Gen IV. But other than that Sableye is sort of a sitting duck, which is too bad.

... then of course, if I'm just going that explosion route, I can try using Trick Room Leer Dusclops (or even Duskull if team mates require Earthquake) + Self Destruct Snorlax for a similar effect (except way too prone to first turn taunt ruining the set up).

@flavor0: I think Venomoth is better off with Shield Dust instead of Tinted Lens in this case, because you don't want a random burn/flinch/freeze/paralysis/lowered speed (or, less likely, confusion) ruining Venomoth's ability to baton pass. Seeing how Venomoth is weak to fire and rock, first turn flinch or burn will probably come up more often than needing to take advantage of tinted lens bug buzz I think.

Super Doubles
Streak: 214

Leads:
Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
IVs: 31/x/31/30/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Electric)
-Ice Beam
-Psychic

Toxicroak @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Fake Out
-Cross Chop
-Sucker Punch
-Helping Hand

Backup:

Ludicolo @ Life orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/30
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Surf
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power (Psychic)

Dragonite @ Choice band
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Outrage
-ExtremeSpeed
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake

Lead Strategy: Use Fake Out against the Pokemon that poses the highest threat to Politoed meanwhile Politoed fires off a Surf. Occasionally Politoed will use Ice Beam to take out grass type threats. Toxicroak's Cross Chop is mostly for Ferrothorn and hail teams/specially bulky Ice types like Regice and Cryogonal. Sucker Punch is mostly for Slowking/Slowbro, to finish off weakened Pokemon or to break Sturdy/Focus Sash.

Backup Strategy: Ludicolo takes care of Ground/Water or pure Water type Pokemon and Dragons. Dragonite is usually my last resort and it's mostly there to take a hit (thanks to Multiscale) and wreck the opponent or to faint weakened foes with ExtremeSpeed.

Problems: -Curse Ferrothorn can setup and sweep my team if Cross Chop misses twice or if I can't safely switch Dragonite in.
-If the opponent lead with 2 Faster Pokemon that can both OHKO Politoed it's probably game over.
-Abomasnow/Hail Teams (Freeze/Misses)

Loss: Video no.: 62-87645-69425

I wasn't paying attention. My Ludicolo used Surf on a weakened Porygon2 which had traced Toxicroak's Dry Skin and Porygon2 paralyzed Ludicolo with Thunderwave. From there it was all downhill.

atsync

Ok so I finally got myself a Uxie and I'm now using this:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash

Taunt
Memento
Worry Seed
Charm

Uxie @ Choice Scarf

Trick
Memento
Thunder Wave
Flash

Dragonite @ Leftovers

Dragon Claw
Dragon Dance
Roost
Substitute

This is obviously almost identical to what Jumpman used. Not sure if Uxie is better or worse than Mesprit, though I RNGed one of those as well for good measure so maybe I'll try it out. Uxie is statistically better and has Memento, but misses out on Charm. Either way, the addition of Trick is helpful as long as I'm careful not to lock something into a low PP move or something.

Thunder Wave also frees me up to use Worry Seed on Whimsicott, which helps with Clear Body. Another thing that surprised me (and I found this out by accident) is that Worry Seed helps with Curse-Resters! I simply give them Insomnia, and when they are weakened enough they will spam Rest to try and recover, only to have it fail repeatedly!

Also, I'm amazed that I'm not bored with Dragonite yet.

Anyway hopefully I can a long streak with this.

Another thing that surprised me (and I found this out by accident) is that Worry Seed helps with Curse-Resters! I simply give them Insomnia, and when they are weakened enough they will spam Rest to try and recover, only to have it fail repeatedly!
This is hilarious. Love the idea of Curse/Sleep Talk-Rest pokes getting punked by this - those are some of the most annoying pokes in the Subway. You must have laughed your ass off watching this!

It goes to show that the AI has a real blind spot with certain abilities. The AI regularly targets Dry Skin Toxicroak with Water attacks, like it doesn't know that it's immune to them (presumably Storm Drainers and Water Absorbers as well, and probably Lightningrod too (not on Ground-types though)).

And if a hacked Durant Entrains Truant onto something, you can alternate Protect and setup with impunity. Changing the AI's ability does not cause it to switch in the same way as a Choice lock into a non-damaging move now can, I guess because it doesn't 'know' it's happened.

atsync

Well I was certainly relieved when I saw it happen. Normally Dragonite dislikes Curse-Resters, because they boost their attack and defence at the same time as Dragonite boosts his attack and speed (so they can hit Dragonite harder than Dragonite can hit them). When I faced that Steelix, I Charmed it to -6 and then threw Worry Seed randomly in there to remove the potential Sturdy, and then it just kept trying to Rest when I got it to about 60% HP. At least I know what to do against things with Rest now (assuming all Rest users act like this; I'll test this out some more as I face them).

But yeah, the AI is clueless about many abilities, though to what extent ultimately depends on the ability. I think with Flash Fire, if they activate it, the opponent won't try a fire move again. On the other hand, I have experienced how dumb they are against Dry Skin.

And then there's Fling Iron Ball Golurk with Klutz. That thing just turns itself into set-up bait...

Entrainment Durant is just going to make Singles so trivial. I'm not surprised that they don't switch after being given Truant since Slaking sure as hell doesn't, but I'm amazed that Truant Durant could actually be legal at some point. Oh well, it should be amusing to try out, and I'll probably still use other teams anyway.

@atsync:
I ran a team almost exactly like yours: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4033908#1179

Only difference is Uxie had Stealth Rock (for sash and sturdy pokemon) instead of Flash. I just tried it once (or maybe twice? Not very many runs anyway) but yah, it was too similar to Jumpman's team for me haha. Just be careful with U-Turn/Volt-Switch/Explosion leads.

Also, I think you should have taunted Steelix and then trick scarf, unless I'm missing something.

atsync

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Meh whatever, it's fun so screw being completely original :)

Not sure whether I'll use Stealth Rock though. Flash is more broadly useful for me so far. We'll see.

With the Steelix, yes I did Taunt it (yeah I didn't fully explain the situation sorry). It was Taunt, Charm, Charm, Taunt, Charm, Worry Seed, Taunt, switch to Dragonite, set up and sweep. It still set up +6 defence anyway because Taunt only lasts so long, but thanks to Worry Seed it ended up just using Rest repeatedly for no effect. I didn't Trick with Uxie because Steelix's only attack was Earthquake and I didn't want it to switch out before I was fully set up (that's how they act, right?). Obviously, I didn't need to Trick anyway. Note that I wasn't aware that it only had Earthquake before I Charmed it, which is why it ended up getting Charmed. As you can tell, the Steelix was hardly threatening to Dragonite offensively, but it could potentially stall me out of PP if I didn't get a crit (Dragon Claw was like a 7-8HKO, which would easily be rested away).

Anyway, a win is a win regardless of how I get there, so on my streak goes.

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I'm still playing doubles subway, but this time the strategy is a bit different...basically I'm just brute forcing my way through the opposition, and I have to say what I've picked out is doing quite well. Here's the team:

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
IVs: 31/31/31/21/31/31
EVs: 0/252/0/0/6/252
Jolly Nature
~Earthquake
~Dragon Claw
~Rock Slide
~Protect

Basically, garchomp is a mon that can be very versatile given any situation (and it's fast to boot) Yache berry is used to take random ice attacks (I believe it has survived a walrein blizzard [at 75% power, obviously] with yache + full health, though I can't say with 100% certainty that it was from that particular mon), and because sitrus berry is on rotom. I choose my moves with chomp depending on the foe, so what I choose depends on who my opponent is.

Hydreigon @ White Herb
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: 6/0/0/252/0/252
Modest Nature
~Draco Meteor
~Dark Pulse
~Flamethrower
~Protect

Hydreigon. The second dragon of my double-dragon-double-water brute force strategy. I run modest over timid, because I still hit 150 speed, which is more than enough to outpace yanmega(who is a threat to 'gon with bug buzz), and +spe base 80s. Besides, I have garchomp's dragon claw if haxorus proves to be a problem (or basically any dragon besides lati@s for that matter). White Herb is used so I have 2 full power Draco Meteors (which is enough to 2hko basically anything that doesn't resist it, excluding blissey) without having to switch. I run two dragons in the lead slot, because rarely will I face both latis at once, so I can sac one of my dragons and take out the offending lati with the other. I run hydreigon > latios, because 'gon gets access to flamethrower, which helps out A TON when VSing Ice types.

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
IVs: 31/2/31/30/31/31
EVs: 250/0/4/248/4/4
Modest Nature
~Hydro Pump
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power [Grass]
~Protect

Rotom-W, the only staple on the many doubles teams I've tried in the subway. Seriously, this mon is absolute gold. It's bulky, moderately fast, and hits like a truck with the right moves. Add in Hydro Pump getting boosted by Drizzle and you have a fun mon to use. Hidden power grass is used over shadow ball because I have nothing else that hits Water Absorb quagsire and storm drain gastrodon hard enough for a 2hko. Besides, ghost/psychic mons are already taken care of by hydreigon dark pulse. Protect, like on my two dragons, is used to both stall + avoid damage from my own rain boosted surfs for at least one turn. The other two moves should be obvious.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
IVs: 31/x/31/28/31/31
EVs: 6/0/0/252/0/252
Timid Nature
~Scald
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Focus Blast

Drizzletoed! How I love thee. Especially in conjunction with rotom-w. This guy has saved me from tight spots in quite a few battles. this guy acts as my hail remover to de-accuratize blizzards. Scald/surf are staple stab moves, one for single targets, the other for spreads. More often than not I choose surf over scald, just because it hits two targets, but if it were vs blissey I probably would go with scald for the burn chance. Not much else to say here other than this little guy is a powerful mon in a tiny cage.

Currently I'm sitting at 77 wins with this team, and I know I can go farther. Gotten to 119 wins, edited because this beats my old record :) Will edit in stuff again (like proof/my final streak) when I lose.
---
edit2: just had an interesting match at #118 (still won, though), here's the battle video # if anyone wants to see this team in action: 94-50102-62878

I'm on a 120+ win streak with various teams having been cycled in and out. I decided yesterday to mess around with a Ninetales/Charizard/Venusaur sun squad and I've been running train. I've encountered some difficulty when slipping up against a Rain Dance Bronzong, Tyranitar and Garchomp, but I've pulled out the wins. And Blissey was a challenge: +6 evasion and Softboiled versus three special attackers...My Venusaur's +6 Energy Ball crit might have saved my streak.

Super Singles:

Ninetales@Wise Glasses
Drought
Timid
252 SpA/252 Spe
Fire Blast
Energy Ball
Hidden Power Fighting
Hypnosis

Charizard@Leftovers
Solar Power
Timid
252 SpA/252 Spe
Sunny Day
Fire Blast
Air Slash
SolarBeam

Venusaur@Life Orb
Chlorophyll
Modest
252 SpA/252 Spe
Growth
Energy Ball
Hidden Power Fire
Sludge Bomb

I'm pretty much a Pokenoob, so I essentially just copied some sets I found on this site, but it's a lot of fun. It is definitely a lot of fun.

Hi, 1st post here but long-time lurker.
I've been playing the Subway a lot (reached the 999:59 hour mark) but I was never able to get a decent streak. I don't use RNG so it's just breeding until I get something good.
I tried several teams listed here but always failed. Two days ago I finally started a streak worth mentioning in the Super Single Line. So far I'm at 91 wins.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
IVs: 31/31/14/X/7/31
EVs: 6/252/0/0/0/252
Adamant Nature
Snow Cloak
~Ice Shard
~Icicle Spear
~Rock Slide
~Earthquake

He has terrible defense IV's but I decided to give it a go. Ice Shard and Rock Slide are not used often. Ice Shard helped me a few times when I had to switch Mamoswine out. I don't have acces to 4th Gen (yet) so Superpower is not an option. I used Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash for Focus Sash. Despite his low defenses he survives most neutral hits. When Thick Fat is released (a female one to breed), he would work even better. Snow Cloak is ok, but very rarely useful in the Subway.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
IVs: 31/X/27/4/31/31
EVs: 252/0/0/100/0/158
Timid Nature
Serene Grace
~Nasty Plot
~Aura Sphere
~Flamethrower
~Air Slash

Well, first things first: I just realized I messed up with vitamins. The speed stat should be 252. Despite that mistake, he has worked wonders so far thanks to Serene Grace and Air Slash. When I change the EV's, It'll work even better. The Sp. Att IV is rubbish but I have Nasty Plot anyway and I couldn't resist using those great defensive IV's.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
IVs: 25/31/21/X/6/31
EVs: 6/252/0/0/0/252
Jolly Nature
Sand Veil
~Outrage
~Rock Slide
~Earthquake
~Protect

Rock Slide and Protect are rarely used. In fact, Garchomp is rarely used. Mamoswine and Togekiss are mostly getting the job done (Is this even good English?) It's again raw power that does it. Focus Sash is crucial to fire off at least one hit. Rock Slide is only used when I really need to rely on flinchhax to win the match.

Problems so far:

Trick Room Bronzong: not really a problem problem but an annoyance nonetheless. When he's the first Poké, it's guessing wheter he has Levitate or Heatproof. Togekiss can handle him when Trick Room is up but it takes time and patience.

Quick Claw Glaceon: He's just a bitch. Period.

Ice/Water types in General: If there's a powerful Ice or Water type. I usually sack Mamoswine by just attacking and do as much damage as possible. Togekiss can handle it afterwards.

Until now I haven't come across Choice Scarf Guillotine Pinsir or Choice Scarf Entei. I don't know how this team will do against those.

I'm well aware I've been extremely lucky up to now. Not having a Grass, Water or Electric move on the team is somewhat risky. Tips are always welcome.

Edit: and it ended at exact at 100 Wins against Wailord, Rapidash and Whiscash.

Mamoswine Earthquake, Wailord Hydro Pump. Mamo KO
Togekiss Air Slash. Wailord KO
Rapidash Flare Blitz, Togekiss Air Slash
Rapidash Flare Blitz and survives with 1 HP, Togekiss KO
Rapidash Iron Tail, Garchomp Earthquake. Rapidash KO
Garchomp Earthquake. Whiscash Fissure. Garchomp KO

I will try this team again, losing to Fissure is just lousy. I thought I had a webcam to prove it, but computer says no. I'll add a picture as soon as possible.

Nice job getting to the leaderboard PeterT but I'm confused about your team. It seems like you just took 3 Pokémon that you like or wanted to use and gave them independent sets. Maybe I just missed something in the teambuilding process but I don't get it.

And to lxeoylte, I'm not sure if you can post your record if you swapped out to multiple teams or Pokés, the current leaderboards is 3 set Pokés for the whole run

atsync

Dammit. Lost at 161 wins using the team I posted above:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash

Taunt
Memento
Worry Seed
Charm

Uxie @ Choice Scarf

Trick
Memento
Thunder Wave
Flash

Dragonite @ Leftovers

Dragon Claw
Dragon Dance
Roost
Substitute

Doesn't really need much explaining as it has already been shown to work.

Total hax loss against Worker Quinn (probably could have played better though):

Quinn sends out Tyranitar, go Whimsicott, sandstream

Whimsicott Taunts, Tyranitar Stone Edges (crit to 1 HP), Whimsicott dies to sandstorm damage.

Go Uxie

Uxie Tricks, I recieve Chople Berry, Tyranitar recieves Choice Scarf, Tyranitar Crunchs (crit), Uxie dead

Go Dragonite

Tyranitar Crunchs (153 HP), I Dragon Dance
Tyranitar Crunchs (80 HP), I Substitute (32 HP)
Tyranitar Crunchs (sub broken), I Dragon Dance
I Roost (128 HP), Tyranitar Crunchs (53 HP)
I Roost (149 HP), Tyranitar Crunchs (62 HP, defence drop)
I Roost (158 HP), Tyranitar Crunchs (38 HP)
I Roost (134 HP), Tyranitar Crunchs (16 HP)
I Roost (112 HP), Tyranitar Crunchs (dead)

0-3 (lol)

Those consecutive crits... That left Tyranitar completely uncrippled! I Taunted first turn just in case of Dragon Dance but it decides to Stone Edge instead. This was actually the second time I faced this Tyranitar and the first time it tried to boost. Yet this time it Stone Edges and just happens to get a crit. Don't try and tell me that the AI wasn't aware that this would happen.

I'll admit that the Trick against Crunch was a bit reckless and it was foolish to Substitute after 1 Dragon Dance (don't know if it would have changed much but I have this annoying habit of forgetting about the speed boost given by Choice Scarf because I end up paralysing the opponents anyway), but those crits... bleh. The defence drop was the icing on the cake because it made it so Tyranitar was outdamaging my Roost recovery, but a crit/defence drop was inevitable I suppose.

For some reason I'm still motivated to use this though because it is actually a better team than my current personal best and it's more fun than it looks. In my experience, this is the sort or insane hax required to stop this team because I made many misplays along the way and yet I was still able to pull through the battle comfortably, so I know I can better myself eventually. Still, losing a longish streak is lame.

Nice job getting to the leaderboard PeterT but I'm confused about your team. It seems like you just took 3 Pokémon that you like or wanted to use and gave them independent sets. Maybe I just missed something in the teambuilding process but I don't get it.
That's exactly what I did. It's the first time I took 3 completely Random Pokés instead of a team that covers eachothers weaknesses. I'm quite surprised myself that it got this far.
My first try was Mamo + Gyarados and Garchomp to clean up but it failed at 30 wins or so. Togekiss is far more reliable I guess.

Hi atsync! I believe the correct first move for any Tyranitar is Charm.

Even after 1DD, you can taunt 2nd turn and Uxie will still outspeed Tyranitar to Twave. So Tyranitar would be at -1 at least. I think generally you should Charm on physical attackers that are potential DD/Cursers. For a lot of them it's even safe to just keep Charming.

Well, with my Stoutland lead, I'd just Twave first turn, then Charm a few, then alternate between Charm and Sand-Attack to keep it consistently at -5 and -6 Attack while lowering accuracy every turn. Most DDers and Cursers are at -6 Attack -6 Accuracy after going through Stoutland. Hmmmm... I kind of want to go back to use my puppy again.

atsync

Hi atsync! I believe the correct first move for any Tyranitar is Charm.

Even after 1DD, you can taunt 2nd turn and Uxie will still outspeed Tyranitar to Twave. So Tyranitar would be at -1 at least. I think generally you should Charm on physical attackers that are potential DD/Cursers. For a lot of them it's even safe to just keep Charming.

Well, with my Stoutland lead, I'd just Twave first turn, then Charm a few, then alternate between Charm and Sand-Attack to keep it consistently at -5 and -6 Attack while lowering accuracy every turn. Most DDers and Cursers are at -6 Attack -6 Accuracy after going through Stoutland. Hmmmm... I kind of want to go back to use my puppy again.
Actually I was thinking about that after I posted my streak and kind of came to the same conclusion.

But at the time I thought that Taunt would be safer. I had no idea which Tyranitar set I was facing because that trainer can use any of them. From my point of view I figured that the chances of Tyranitar using a status/set up move were high if they had it (Tyranitar 1 likes to Thunder Wave me, and 2* and 3 have Dragon Dance). Tyranitar 4 would obviously try to attack but I figured that wouldn't be difficult to cripple (it doesn't even have Crunch so Uxie laughs at it). Also consider that I had faced that Tyranitar already and had observed it Dragon Dance so it never occurred to me that it would attack (and it probably wouldn't have if it wasn't a crit) so I probably would have Taunted anyway if I knew it was that one.

*Tyranitar 2 has Ice Beam though, which would be tempting against Whimsicott.

But yeah Charm is definitely the safer move against Tyranitar. As for other physical boosters I'm still undecided. Remember that the main reason why Tyranitar screwed Whimsicott was the sandstorm it brought with it. Had that sand not been present, Whimsicott would survive with Focus Sash to Memento later, so even if Crunch critted Uxie it would be at -2 attack against Dragonite (which I would have set up against easily - it only beat me at 0 attack boosts because of that defence drop). With most of the other physical attackers weather isn't an issue so I will survive the first turn and not have to worry about passive damage (so even if they get a crit I'm fine to Memento to Uxie anyway which is sufficient for Dragonite almost every time).

Of course, using Charm first turn would still work out anyway so maybe I'll try that more often.

It's just a shame I lost when I did though as I was confident that I would at least get back to top 10 (or at least beat my own record). Guess I'll try again and again until I get bored with the team.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
7th longest Singles streak overall: 275

Black Battle Subway Super Singles streaks: 49, 172, 169, 179, 275
Team: Cloyster, Garchomp, Suicune

Battle #276 vs Backpacker Felton - Tyranitar, Gyarados, Beartic:

1. Switch out Cloy, Chomp in, Tyranitar T-Wave, Chomp unaffected.
2. Chomp Quake, 75% dmg, Tyranitar Stealth Rock.
3. Chomp Quake, Tyranitar fainted.
- foe Gyarados
4. Switch out Chomp, Cloy in, Stealth Rock dmg 95/126 HP, Gyarados DD1.
5. Gyara DD2, Cloy Shell Smash, sand dmg, Cloy 81/126 HP.
6. Gyara Aqua Tail 1, Cloy fainted.
- my Cune
7. Gyara T-Wave, Cune Sub.
8. Gyara DD3, Cune Rest.
9. Gyara DD4, Cune fast asleep.
10. Gyara Aqua Tail 2-3, Sub faded, Cune fast asleep.
11. Gyara DD5, Cune woke up, Cune Sub
12. Gyara DD6, Cune Sub, already has Sub.
13. Gyara Aqua Tail 4-5, Sub faded, Cune Sub, 103/205 HP.
14. Gyara Aqua Tail 6-7, Sub faded, Cune Sub, 52/205 HP.
15. Gyara Ice Fang 1-2, Sub faded, Cune Rest.
16. Gyara Aqua Tail 8-9, Cune 94/205, Cune fast asleep.
17. Gyara Aqua Tail 10, Cune fainted.
18. Gyara Ice Fang, Chomp fainted.
0-2

Basically, I misplayed and let Gyarados fully set up and play with me instead of just attacking it with Cloyster.

Gyarados 1 Muscle Band 191 182 89 80 120 122 Ice Fang Aqua Tail Thunder Wave Dragon Dance

161 attack Cloyster Icicle Spear vs 89 def Gyarados = 5 x (25-31) = 125-155 dmg / 191 HP = 65-81%
161 attack Cloyster Rock Blast vs 89 def Gyarados = 5 x (34-42) = 170-210 dmg / 191 HP = 89-100%

1. I thought it would Aqua Tail instead of the second DD turn 5, even though I knew it wouldn´t KO. Plus there was the % of Thunder Wave which would screw Cloy...not attacking turn 5 was the game deciding mistake. Now I remember that I had almost the exact same situation before when Chomp was locked into Quake and I chose Rock Blast after the switch if I remember correctly...oh well.
2. Turn 6 was a Speed Tie (I noticed 122 just after clicking Smash) that I obviously lost, I´ve only won 1 speed tie so far against the 163 speed DD Haxorus set 4 in like 5-6 tries.
3. I should´ve probably risked a Scald turn 8, more likely turn 12, turn 15 would´ve been too late, I guess. Scald only does 21-25 dmg / 191 HP = 11-13% though, I would have to pray for a Burn.

I´ve faced all of the stuff that ended my previous streaks including Starmie 4, Gardevoir 4, Trick Latias, Drifblim and dealt with them properly.

The most recent scare I got was from Cobalion that Psych Upped 2 Shell Smashes but it only has Iron Head so Suicune finished it off.

At #265 lead Durant began with a CH flinching Hustle Rock Slide, missed Shadow Claw turn 2 and Razor Shell lowered its defense, Chomp finished with Quake only to face ScarfSkarm Brave Birding, Cune stalled it.

I´ve had a close battle around 190 where I misclicked Aerial Ace to finish off a 35% health Empoleon, only to give it Torrent + Petaya boosts (oops). Won because the first Blizzard missed and Chomp got in another AA, leaving Empo at like 8% in KO range of Scald...Suicune was only at 50 health or so because it stalled something else at the start of the battle to give Cloy a chance to set up.

Don´t remember much of the battles up to 200, because I played 28 or 35 battles per day, 42 yesterday...the last couple of days were 92-119, 120-154, 154-182, 183-210, 211-252, 253-276...

Finally got my hands on a Drizzletoad and just lost at #183 with a variation of R Inanimates Politoad,Ludiculo,Kingdra,Scizor team against a legendary trainer, missed one surf which cost me the match... so close to breaking my record :(
I´ll try it again this team is just awesome.

Currently trying out this team:

Stoutland / Intimidate / Jolly - Twave / Sand-Attack / Charm / Snarl
Dragonite / Multi-scale / Adamant - DD / Dragon Claw / Sub / Roost
Tentacruel / Clear Body / Bold - Acupressure / Sub / Scald / Acid Spray

Basically same as my Stoutland-Volcarona-Dragonite team except now with Tentacruel replacing Volcarona, just testing it out. I might try rest over Acid Spray... Acid Spray lets me get past basically anything when set up , but Rest lets me set up with much more ease and also means paralysis / burn is not an issue.

Just at 84 for now.

O yeah, Tentacruel lets me have double leftovers (black sludge), so that's cool.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... using Tentatcruel instead of Drapion because of 1) Ice resistance and 2) STAB that isn't screwed over by Justified Pokemon like Cobalion. If I were to use Drapion it'd probably want to be Acu/Sub/Crunch/EQ, which is probably awesome enough, but Drapion is more prone to burn and freeze, etc (Tent has scald for freeze at least), so might want rest more. Tentacruel doesn't have Battle Armor, but Clear Body isn't bad at all still, and with the ability to Acupressure under sub, Battle Armor isn't "as" necessary. Using Tentacruel instead of Suicune because 1) a bit bored of using Suicune, 2) novelty, 3)Black Sludge, as mentioned.

I just created a team alongside navy823 and I created 2 teams of my own, I just have to create them all now. My team with navy823 I suspect will get to around 50 without too much difficulty, my test team 1 will probably fall flat around 30 :( but...

Watch out for my test team 2, I borrowed a high-ranking idea and took it to a whole new level that this leaderboard has not yet seen. Time to get some new Pokés

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)