CAP 2 Pre-evo - Part 6 - Name submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Seedeath
Seed (It looks like one)+Death (since it\'s part Ghost-type) It flows nicely, if I may say so myself.

Asylum_Rhapsody

Final Submission:

Xylittle

Xylitol + Little.

With so many cuter-looking art submissions, we decided not to go with any of them in favor of the creepier-looking submissions, so I don't think that any of these cute-sounding names fit the art. I think something crazier-sounding like Xylittle would fit the artwork a lot better. It only has a hint of cute, the same way that the artwork only has a hint of cute.

I wanted to do something in theme with Necturna's name, but I very much dislike the approach of taking something that's clearly just derivative of its name, like for example the submissions of Nectot or Nectelle. The main component of Necturna's name is Nectar, so I went to go find some similarly-themed plant words. I tried to work with Sap, Fructose, and Pulp as base words, but ended up deciding to go a little more obscure with Xylitol because it sounds less cute.

Of the other submissions, the only one that I'm really into so far is Botiny. It's clever, and the scientific sound of "Botany" makes it less cute, which is good, but it still keeps a hint of cuteness with the "Tiny" part.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Final Submission:

Nectiny

I'm not really expecting to win with such a simple choice (Nectar + Tiny), but Nectiny flows too well with Necturna to be ignored IMO. Furthermore, it sounds cute as hell.

Final Submission

Name: Nectite
Etymology: Nectar + Petite
Enunciation: NEK - TEET

The trick with names for this is that it's nearly always going to sound like another Pokemon. Countless pre-evos have been made, and so there's always going to be overlap in what we come up with because there are only so many synonyms for "small" or "baby" or whatever. That point made, I firmly believe that CAP 2 should follow the style of "Nect.... >> Necturna" in evolution. Why? I think it's fitting, really, and is something I sort of hoped for long before we even had a pre-evo. This means that anything which deviates too far from that isn't fitting, in my opinion. In addition, the name should be shorter than Necturna's. There's lots of precedent for this, and it makes sense because shorter names show a lack of maturity in many ways. That means that the only other name I really like right now is Deck's Nectot, but of course it suffers from there being a Seedot. I initially wanted to use the name Nectini, but ultimately decided that sharing 5 of 7 letters with Victini was pushing it too far. I also felt that Nectiny sounded awkward spoken aloud and didn't roll off the tongue, and so was inferior. In lieu of that, I came up with Nectite, which while being only close to Meditite, is still different in its enunciation, length, and general feel. I think that this name is very fitting for the Pokemon in all of the ways I described above, and sounds great next to Necturna.

Good luck to all entrants!

I think that Noctrine is a good name because it is a cross between nocturnal/nocturne, which both relate well to ghost types because it is to do with night-time, and neutrino which is an extremely small particle of matter which links to this Pokemon being small. This is my final Submission.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I honestly can't decide which of my two names to use. I quite like both Berreave and Duskeyes. Yes, the name very easily could be Necta, Nectite, Nect...

But I don't think it has to. There are plenty of evolutionary lines where the names completely change. Especially in B/W. Think Lillipup to Herdier to Stoutland. Joltik to Galvantula. Pidove to Tranquill to Unfezant. Boldore to Gigalith. Yamask to Cofagrigus. No resemblance anywhere in those names. The matchy-matchy naming was much more common in earlier generations.

I'm more than happy to give one of those names to someone else and I enter the other? Or if people don't like one of the names, please let me know in C&C.

Not sure which i should go for, got about even support for both. Any further comments on Botiny vs Necta? I quite like both and could see either fitting the mon, so if someone wants to claim one i'd be fine with that too.

@srk: I'm not sold on Duskeyes, seems a little too literal to me and sounds like a Dusclops alt evo. The other one seems a lot more fitting.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Minacturne
not too complicated, just miniature + necturna.

Final Submission

Nectaca

Coming from:

Nect -> Necturna
Aca -> Baca=Latin for berry

Latin is used frequently in pokemon names. Take a look at Audino and Spiritomb. Audire=To hear/listen and Spiritum is a ghost. Although they may come from Audio and Spirit, it does have some Latin! Of course the Nect is added, because I like evolution names like that, such as Tangela & Tangrowth and the Charmander line.

By the way, if you want a Latin word in your pokemon name, don't use the translate machines. Latin is a very tricky language to translate and many words are translated in the wrong way. For now, Google translate does best but it makes horrible mistakes too! How do I know this? I stuby Latin. It's very hard.

Meloncholy, maybe?

I'm also trying to work something with dole.

Dole meanings:
Brand of fruit products
Grief or sorrow; lamentation
One's fate or destiny

Eidole, from dole and idol or eidolon?

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
From the reception that I've got, I'll go with Minature as my Final Submission.

Reason:
It's a corruption of 'Miniature', referring to the design's status as a little, maybe baby, pokemon, and 'nature', as it's a berry. :P
Comments:

• MLaRF: The 'nocturne' part of the name doesn't stick out to me--I see it as 'no' and 'nature', unfortunately. Nocture might bring out the 'nocturnal' part better.
  • Umbreon Dan: Heh... well, I think you know where I stand with the name. :P Change it.
  • Deck Knight: Nice! Why didn't I think of using 'tot' as a diminutive? Maybe it's similar to Chatot? But it blends well and in that pokemon-like way.
  • Engineer Pikachu: I think that if it was one of the more humanoid designs that won, I'd prefer that name, but Mos-Quitoxe's design is not, so 'elle' doesn't convey the same idea of being a young lady.
  • gamerdna223: It's okay as the name goes, but you lose where the 'turna' part stems from. Necturna stems from a blend of nectar, nocturnal, and a feminine ending, and cutting it loses its meaning.
  • srk1214: Neither fit too well with me, if only because the tertiary meaning is lost under the not-too-keen blends. I do like multiple-meaning-ed words, but only if they all fit. To answer your question, I pronounce the name 'Mih-nay-tsure'.
  • The Wanderer: I've thought of that name, but then I found out a nectary is a flowering plant's gland. If you want to continue that name with that discovery in mind, I won't stop you. :P
  • EspyOwner: Personally, I dislike the names which have a feminine ending, mostly because Mos's design doesn't invoke that. Botany is the study of plants, too, which is not so much a plant-y word in of itself.
  • Demist: It sounds like you're trying a bit hard to conjure names up; they're more blended than the portmanteaux of pokemon names. 'Spookerry' is the one of the three that is simpler, but I don't like how it blends. Can you think of other words that can blend better?
  • Master of the Six Kings: Botiny works, even if botany's the actual study of plants rather than plants themselves. XD
  • Destiny Warrior: I saw the dual meaning in the 'pol' part quite quickly, but as mentioned before, the 'terna' part is not clear unless you look at its evolution. Necturna's name incorporates both parts of 'nectar' and 'nocturnal', but 'terna' just loses them.
  • milo v3: If you're using that, then don't stuff it too much with references to its evolution. Can the name stand by itself? is the question. The 'nectur' part of the name does not convey 'nocturnal' well.
  • erisia: For some reason, the name doesn't resonate too well with me. It feels a bit... contrived? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any personality traits detailed in any pokemon's name; that's what a pokedex entry does.
  • Toa Tahu: I see 'see-death'. :/
  • Vader*: Well... hmm. Nectarine has 'nectar' in it already, and the 'nocturnal' part is the cause of the misspelling. Don't know if you should make the 'nocturnal' part of it more prominent or not--Nocturine? This is one of my favorite entries.
  • Agent Gibbs: I miss the 'ium' with my mind thinking it's some new element, The name's not too clear, but Game Freak might make something like that.
  • Quickster: Oh, my names. I'm not too sure what the moon has to do with our design, but then again, I'm not sure what nectar had to do with Necturna. Lunecta would be good if I wasn't familiar with Lunesta, a sleeping pill. XD The backwards 'lunas'... Well, that worked a few generations ago, but I'm less confident in it now.
  • Asylum_Rhapsody: One of my favorites so far, because it's science-y, starts with 'x', and specifies of a baby pokemon.
  • Pearl.: Simple and efficient. Nectiny, Necturna.
  • Rising_Dusk: I read the 'tite' part of it like 'tight', or maybe as it flows to 'light'. That aside, another good name that befits a small Necturna.
  • Tortferngatr: Hmm, interesting. I would approve of it more if our design was more humanoid, and not a seed, unfortunately. That's the downfall of that name's origins.
  • bugmaniacbob: Funnily enough, you made me think of using 'she' as a word to mix in certain names. 'Squashee', though, is not one of them. :P
  • Imanalt: Aha, a competitor for similar etymologies as my submission! But for yours, where's the first 'a' from, nAture? Neither 'nocturnal' nor 'nectar' have an 'a' in there, so I have my suspicions.
  • MikaDo: Well, lots of English words have Latin roots. :/ That's a difference between taking a Latin word without a similar English equivalent. I do admit the name sounds feminine enough while still retaining the 'berry' part of it, so that's a plus.
  • Midnight Show: Creative, but maybe a bit too much so. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but personality traits don't normally get incorporated into a pokemon's name, right? If I'm wrong, the name is okay.
  • the dead mans oddysey: The name doesn't sound all that clear; as mentioned before for other people, Necturna's name stems from three origins, and sectioning it makes it lose its meaning. If anything, preserve the 'nect'/'noct' part of it or create something new.

Midnight Show: Creative, but maybe a bit too much so. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but personality traits don't normally get incorporated into a pokemon's name, right? If I'm wrong, the name is okay.

Gloom, Vileplume, Tranquill, Unfezant, Houndour, Grumpig, Blissey, and Happiny come to mind. Certainly a minority, but still a good showing for personality-influenced names!

Is yours pronounced Minnachoor or My-nature?

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All right, so I'm proven wrong. So for you and erisia, the name is fine.

I prefer 'mih-nay-tsure' as a pronunciation.

Caputo!
"head grab" in latin is "caput capto"
So I just combined the two words.

Or...

Tenebaca = tenebris baca = dark berry

Vermiculo = spíritum vermiculo = ghost grub

Hermblum = malum herba = evil plant

Bellipsinutrum = ipsa bellus sinu monstrum = very cute pocket monster

Orwena = nec turn a = or when a

Phantaseed

You know you like it. Phantom+seed.

Also thinking of Wraithorn again, but it feels too...adult for this thing. Also a slight worry with Phantoseed.

Criticism for Sprivy is also liked. Distortion of spirit and ivy.

Midnight Show, while Eidole is clever, it's also kind of obscure. I like Meloncholy though.

Fireworks, yours feels a bit too similar to Victini.

chuckeroo, I have the same concern that I do with Eidole: they're all kind of obscure, and also kind of big. Ten character limit.

Aerodactyl Legend: It doesn't invoke the ghost very much, but it's still not bad.

I would like to repeat the question "When does this poll end?"

Final submission: Whisberry.

It has ghostly connotations in "whisper" and even "wisp", but of course also has the "berry" part - which is fairly crucial to Mos' design. It's also got the pun on "whispery", which I think is very Pokemon.

Final submission

FINAL SUBMISSION:
Tierry
tick+berry
I thought it made sense for it since it immates a berry and it kinda reminds me of a tick, plus its a cute name for a cute pokemon

Final submission

Final Submission:

Meloncholy

This is punning on melancholy, which is defined as: a deep, pensive, and long-lasting sadness; sad, gloomy or, depressed. This accurately captures the ghostliness and darker nature of the Necturna line. Melon is a nod to its Grass-typing. Melons are berries, which this pre-evo seems to be modeled after.

To address some conerns that have been brought up:

There were comments about the rarity of personality-related names. There are actually several examples of such names; these include: Gloom, Vileplume, Tranquill, Unfezant, Houndour, Grumpig, Blissey, and Happiny.

Rising_Dusk commented that pre-evo names should not be longer than the names of their final evolutions. However, I have included three (of the many) examples of pre-evo name lengths exceeding those of their final evolutions to show that it is precedented within Pokemon:

Charmander (10) - Charizard (9)
Hippopotas (10) - Hippowdon (9)
Roggenrola (10)- Gigalith (8)

Let's keep up the submissions! :)

Final Submission Berrosia

It's a mix between berry and ambrosia which is sometimes used as a synonym for nectar
And I think it's fairly easy to pronounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)