Just for fun, possibly a nats team

Ok, guys, as the title says, this is just for fun. I just put some stuff on there, and it seems pretty good. But I don't how good it is.

Hitmontop item: fighting gem
trait: intimidate
nature: adamant
evs: 236 hp, 252 atk, 20 spd
moves:
close combat
wide guard
fake out
sucker punch​

As you can see, this is one of the most common sets. But one thing, I put more spd evs to outspeed the other tops. STAB cc with fighting gem, that is one heck of a attack. Wide guard is used to prevent spread moves. Fake out is for flinching pokemon that might be a threat to my team. Sucker punch is to dish out pokemon that is at red.

Volcarona item: charti berry
trait: flame body
nature: modest
evs: 168 hp, 252 sp. atk, 160 spd
moves:
Heat wave
Bug buzz
Quiver dance
Protect​

I put in hp evs because charti won't be enough to survive a rock slide. Quiver helps volc for a boost and to outspeed base 110s. He will be a partner with top. Heat wave is a great spread move. Bug buzz is for threats that is weak to it.

Hydreigon item: chople berry
trait: levitate
nature: timid
evs: 4 hp, 252 sp. atk, 252 spd
moves:
Dragon pulse
Flamethrower
Dark pulse
protect​

Hydreigon doesn't seem to work for this team, any suggestions on what should I replace with. Anyway, Dragon pulse is for dragon threats that is slower than him. Flamethrower is for the popular pokemon in this year's vgc, excluding scarf aboma. Dark pulse for threats that is weak to it.

Abomasnow item: focus sash
trait: snow warning
nature: quiet
evs: 252 hp, 4 atk, 252 sp. atk
moves:
blizzard
ice shard
grass knot
protect​

Sash aboma is just pretty good, but doesn't work out for the team. Blizzard is great with aboma, especially with his ability. Ice shard is for low hp pokemon and for last damage before he faints. Grass knot is great against gastros and rotom-w.

Chandelure item: choice scarf
trait: flash fire
nature: modest
evs: 252 sp. atk, 4 sp. def, 252 spd
moves:
Heat wave
Hidden power {ice}
Shadow ball
Energy ball​

Scarf chan seems pretty good, try it out a couple times. It was successful on several occasions. Heat wave, once again, a great spread move. Hp ice is to dish out some threats, such garchomp and latios. Shadow ball is for pokemon that are weak to it. Energy ball is to eliminate those annoying threats, such as gastrodons.

Breloom item: toxic orb
trait: poison heal
nature: adamant
evs: 252 hp, 252 atk, 4 spd
moves:
Spore
Drain punch (or mach punch)
Protect
Seed bomb​

Poison heal breloom is great, since he can heal and put threats to sleep. But there is two problems, a flying weakness and he is too slow. I been thinking if I can replace it with something else, possibly cress? Anyway, Spore is a great move and threat to most pokemon. Drain punch or mach punch, are both great but can't decide. Seed bomb is the same thing with chan's energy ball, it's for gastrodons.

Sorry if the descriptions aren't long enough, I will be editing that soon. Hope this team is good!

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Yeah, it's my boy pokemaster649! I'll do my very best rate; I want you to win it for me at Nats!

Threats
Trick Room -

You don't really have any significant checks or counters to TR. Fake Out leads such as Jellicent/Scrafty and Cresselia/Scrafty will guarantee Trick Room teams, such as this one, to set up. Let's run this scenario; say you lead Hitmontop/Hydreigon against Jellicent/Scrafty. Hitmontop cannot Fake Out Jellicent because of its Ghost-typing. You might go for the CC + Fighting Gem on Scrafty, but thanks to his base 115 Def stat w/ Chople Berry, Scrafty won't get OHKO'ed. Scrafty will Fake Out threats on your team, such as Hydreigon with STAB Dark Pulse against Jellicent. Once Trick Room is set up, Scrafty will OHKO (or 2HKO if it has Chople Berry) Hydreigon with Drain Punch to regain HP, while Jellicent will use Scald or Will-O-Wisp on Hitmontop to get the burn and cut his Attack stat in half. You can lead with any Pokémon on your team, but Scrafty can use Fake Out to stop the threat from preventing Trick Room. Chandelure cannot get Faked Out, but Shadow Ball will not OHKO Jellicent or Cresselia, and Scrafty will go for the STAB Crunch OHKO (94.8% - 112.6%: 62% chance to KO). Scrafty also has amazing defensive typing with both 115 SpD and Def stats. He won't go down easily.

Solutions

Cresselia is pretty much a boss in TR, so why not use it yourself? We all know that Trick Room teams focus on setting up the very first turn, which is very predictable. Give Cress Trick Room, so whenever opposing Trick Room setters (Cresselia or Jellicent) use TR, you'll revert the dimensions back to normal by using Trick Room, also. Fake Out leads, such as Scrafty, won't think of using Fake Out on Cresselia. No one expects Cresselia to use Trick Room on a Goodstuffs team, most Cresselias usually have Icy Wind or Thunder Wave, which will benefit Trick Room teams with lowered speed. Instead, surprise them with a Trick Room set on Cress. If TR doesn't go up the first turn, you have the advantage against Trick Room teams. Here's a good set for Cress against Trick Room:

Cresselia @ Chesto Berry | Levitate
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk) | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Trick Room / Psychic / Rest / Helping Hand

I personally love using ChestoRest, it lets Cresselia last longer to fufill its job as a supporter. Helping Hand gives your Pokémon a 50% boost in either the SpA or Attack stat with +5 priority, and Psychic is useful for taking out opposing Hitmontop, Meinshao or Terrakion with STAB, and it helps when Cress gets Taunted (which is uncommon).

Additional Comments

Hydreigon doesn't really work with this team like you said, and it's outsped by Jolly Garchomp and Timid Latios or Latias. As a result, Hydreigon is OHKO'ed by Dragon Claw from Garchomp, and a Dragon Gem + Dragon Pulse from Latios. You can consider Latios with Tailwind over Hydreigon, if you want. I don't want to change your team too much, it's up to you. Give Abomasnow 84 Speed EV's because it can outspeed the genies in Tailwind, and strike with Blizzard. I don't like Breloom either; it has so many weaknesses, including a x4 Flying weakness. The Cresselia I mentioned can replace him, if you choose.

Nice team, bro, keep it up! Thou shall win Nationals!

I could've try Breloom and top as a strategy to prevent trick room (but if breloom faints and the pokemon wakes up and used tr, big trouble for my team). I even used chestorest on my cress in my regs team, it's pretty good. I might as well try trick room on her. I know gar and latios are way faster than hydreigon, I just want try something else other than those two pokemon.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
I could've try Breloom and top as a strategy to prevent trick room (but if breloom faints and the pokemon wakes up and used tr, big trouble for my team). I even used chestorest on my cress in my regs team, it's pretty good. I might as well try trick room on her. I know gar latios are way faster than hydreigon, I just want try something else other than those two pokemon.
The only way Hydreigon can outspeed is with Choice Scarf, but I've found that unreliable in most cases. :/

I'd swap Hydregion for Salamence.

Gives you another intimidate as well as beating out garchomp, all while doing the same thing as Hydregion.

Dragon gem @ modest

Draco meteor
Heat Wave
Protect
~filler~

You could also run a badass Scarf Haxorus, but only cool people do that.

Nice, forgot that you used scarf haxorus, I will be considering that as well. Salamence seems pretty good, I will try that as well.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
I like Ravix's suggestion, but if you're going to replace Hydreigon with Salamence, make him a Physical Attacker. His base 135 Attack stat dominates over his base 110 SpA stat, making it a better choice for him to be Physical-based. Plus, it adds another Physical Attacker next to Hitmontop; you have enough Special Attackers.

Salamence @ Life Orb | Intimidate
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA) | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Claw / Earthquake or Fire Fang / Crunch / Tailwind

STAB Dragon Claw + Life Orb OHKO's the likes of Latios (139.7% - 166.7%: 100% chance to KO) and Garchomp (104.3% - 123.9%: 100% chance to KO). Earthquake is for coverage against Metagross, Excadrill, Tyranitar, etc. Fire Fang is also a good choice for coverage against Ice-type threats such as Max HP Abomasnow and Glaceon. Crunch OHKO's Gengar (135.3% - 160.3%: 100% chance to KO) and 2HKO's Max HP Cresselia (45.8% - 54.6%: 4% chance to KO). Tailwind lets you outspeed any other Pokémon not in Tailwind, which is a great advantage to its Dragon-type rivals. Here's an easy list to read of all the calcs I did:

Salamence w/ Life Orb vs. Threats

Latios: Dragon Claw - (139.7% - 166.7%: 100% chance to KO) OHKO
Garchomp: Dragon Claw - (104.3% - 123.9%: 100% chance to KO) OHKO
Abomasnow: Fire Fang - (127.9% - 152.3%: 100% chance to KO) OHKO
Glaceon: Fire Fang - (65.7% - 78.6%: 6% chance to KO) 2HKO
Gengar: Crunch - (135.3% - 160.3%: 100% chance to KO) OHKO
Cresselia: Crunch - (45.8% - 54.6%: 4% chance to KO) 2HKO

As you can see, with his amazing movepool, Salamence can either OHKO or 2HKO most threats. But you have to make sure he doesn't get OHKO'ed the first turn against these threats. This set can be effective, but you have to know how to use it. Maybe a Fake Out Attacker + Salamence will help. Most preferably Hitmontop + Salamence for that double Intimidate combo. Or give Salamence a Focus Sash to guarantee Tailwind setup. Hope I helped, bro!

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
I like Ravix's suggestion, but if you're going to replace Hydreigon with Salamence, make him a Physical Attacker. His base 135 Attack stat dominates over his base 110 SpA stat, making it a better choice for him to be Physical-based. Plus, it adds another Physical Attacker next to Hitmontop; you have enough Special Attackers.

Salamence @ Life Orb | Intimidate
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA) | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Claw / Earthquake or Fire Fang / Crunch / Tailwind

STAB Dragon Claw + Life Orb OHKO's the likes of Latios (139.7% - 166.7%: 100% chance to KO) and Garchomp (104.3% - 123.9%: 100% chance to KO). Earthquake is for coverage against Metagross, Excadrill, Tyranitar, etc. Fire Fang is also a good choice for coverage against Ice-type threats such as Max HP Abomasnow and Glaceon. Crunch OHKO's Gengar (135.3% - 160.3%: 100% chance to KO) and 2HKO's Max HP Cresselia (45.8% - 54.6%: 4% chance to KO). Tailwind lets you outspeed any other Pokémon not in Tailwind, which is a great advantage to its Dragon-type rivals. Here's an easy list to read of all the calcs I did:

Salamence w/ Life Orb vs. Threats

Latios: Dragon Claw - (139.7% - 166.7%: 100% chance to KO) OHKO
Garchomp: Dragon Claw - (104.3% - 123.9%: 100% chance to KO) OHKO
Abomasnow: Fire Fang - (127.9% - 152.3%: 100% chance to KO) OHKO
Glaceon: Fire Fang - (65.7% - 78.6%: 6% chance to KO) 2HKO
Gengar: Crunch - (135.3% - 160.3%: 100% chance to KO) OHKO
Cresselia: Crunch - (45.8% - 54.6%: 4% chance to KO) 2HKO

As you can see, with his amazing movepool, Salamence can either OHKO or 2HKO most threats. Hope I helped, bro!
wait, how is Salamence going to outspeed latios and scarf abomasnow, not to mention gengar?

Dimsun

Tailwind, didn't I mention that in my previous post?
How will you set up tailwind when salamence is dead? -.- It's probably better to run calcs on stuff that doesn't OHKO salamence. Oh well.
If you still want those to matter, why not run a Focus Sash on the salamence? It should still OHKO many of the threats you listed.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
How will you set up tailwind when salamence is dead? -.- It's probably better to run calcs on stuff that doesn't OHKO salamence. Oh well.
True, that's why you have to make sure he doesn't get OHKO'ed the first turn. This set can be effective, but you have to know how to use it. Maybe a Fake Out Attacker + Salamence will help. Most preferably Hitmontop + Salamence for that double Intimidate combo. Or give Salamence a Focus Sash to guarantee Tailwind setup.

Dimsun

True, that's why you have to make sure he doesn't get OHKO'ed the first turn. This set can be effective, but you have to know how to use it. Maybe a Fake Out Attacker + Salamence will help. Most preferably Hitmontop + Salamence for that double Intimidate combo. Or give Salamence a Focus Sash to guarantee Tailwind setup.
Sorry for editing my post and stealing your thunder! Pokemaster, I hope that this whole mini-conversation helps you out, although I'm not sure how much I want to help competition :P

Scarf hax is a funny mon, he switches with Terakion from time to time on my roster. Gotta check which works better vs. the most teams.

But anyway, the salamance was special because it was replacing hydregion, it was just a better choice for what he wanted to do. I would never play him versus latios or gengar. (Have another plan to take out those two)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)