The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Oh my god, that episode was fucking amazing. I really thought Asami would betray Korra & co and there would be a scene with her and Hiroshi at the end talking about their plans, but I guess not!

Also I think I win, Smith

Can't wait for somebody to make a .gif of Bolin using Pabu as a puppet. XD

And I totally called it to myself that Asami would shock her dad with the glove. But it was suspenseful!

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, yeah, just watched the episodes.

Asami contributed to the badassery of the show by doing her own things on her own agenda (shocking her father), which makes her pretty cool in my book. Bei Fong doing things her way gives her a few brownie points too. I'm glad she's prepared for all the things she's about to do.

People cannot seriously like Mako after everything's he's done in the last few episodes.

Actually, this has got to be my favorite episode due to the amount of confusion it's done to the fandom (as far as the Makorra or Mako fangirls on Tumblr are concerned). Seriously.

"We have reason to believe there's a secret factory under your house."
"The lies you people come up with..."
"Where's your father?"
"In his workshop behind the house."

That was almost as funny as baby bending for me

People cannot seriously like Mako after everything's he's done in the last few episodes.
I thought about posting something like that, but looks like you beat me to it. Yeah, I didn't really like Mako from the beginning, but I thought he would grow on me. Instead, his recent actions have made me wonder if he's really Korra's friend at all. He doesn't support her, assumes that her actions stem from a jealousy of Asami, and doesn't seem to have any personality at all. The only thing I've seen him do recently that suggests he isn't a robot is dunk Bolin in the swimming pool.

And once again, Benders are surprisingly helpless against the Equalists. At least they put up a better fight than they usually do (and against Big Daddies, too!), but seriously, Team Korra needs to get a win at SOME point. (I guess rescuing Bolin counts, but they couldn't fight them ultimately.) So far, Korra's only victory was when she was part of Tarrlok's task force, better known as legitimate justification for the whole "Benders are oppressing the Non-Benders" campaign Amon is on about (a.k.a. being dicks).
This.

Why can't benders (specifically Tenzin) ever win? This is such a change from AtLA where the gang almost always messed people even when outnumbered. In the beginning, Katara and Sokka could barely fight too!

I thought about posting something like that, but looks like you beat me to it. Yeah, I didn't really like Mako from the beginning, but I thought he would grow on me. Instead, his recent actions have made me wonder if he's really Korra's friend at all. He doesn't support her, assumes that her actions stem from a jealousy of Asami, and doesn't seem to have any personality at all. The only thing I've seen him do recently that suggests he isn't a robot is dunk Bolin in the swimming pool.
This as well. What kind of 'friend' gives an ultimatum like that?

Am I the only one who's not really into Mako's character? Totally digging the triumvirate of powerful women, and I've found something to like about pretty much every character. Even the characters you love to hate (Tarrlok) have a certain something about them. But Mako's just a bit boring tbh

just out of curiosity, how does the chakra theory hold now? I believe that if the theory held true, then this episode was supposed to be about the Air Chakra, which deals with love, and blocked by grief. The only thing I see about this episode that pertains to this chakra is that Hiroshi's grief for his murdered wife led him to Amon, but that almost feels like grasping at straws honestly. This episode didn't really focus on Korra much at all--not that I'm complaining, it was a nice change to see Asami get the spotlight this time.

I still think Asami is equalist. Based on her fighting skills when she took out her father and the random equalist grunt, she could be hiding something. Unless there is anymore backstory as to why Asami can fight, I still think she is equalist and that the finding out about the factory was planned by Amon from the beginning as well as the defeat of Hiroshi (?). Asami also knew right away how to use the electric glove.

Asami acts as someone on the inside, and can report back to the equalists at most times about what the Avatar and the council are planning. She also has a motive to get rid of all benders and dating a fire bender is the perfect coverup.

AccidentalGreed

Although I mostly agree with all the Mako hate around, the guys upstairs did name Mako after a beloved one: Iroh's previous voice actor. I'm sure they won't screw Mako up in the end.

Aaaaand since you guys asked so nicely for Pabu-puppet GIFs:

Bonus:

I'm going to slap a bitch if the creators actually decide to make Asami's cool scene all an act ("Oh, don't worry honey, I can handle electricity!").

I still think Asami is equalist. Based on her fighting skills when she took out her father and the random equalist grunt, she could be hiding something. Unless there is anymore backstory as to why Asami can fight, I still think she is equalist and that the finding out about the factory was planned by Amon from the beginning as well as the defeat of Hiroshi (?). Asami also knew right away how to use the electric glove.

Asami acts as someone on the inside, and can report back to the equalists at most times about what the Avatar and the council are planning. She also has a motive to get rid of all benders and dating a fire bender is the perfect coverup.
I don't think so. In her character description it says she has the best self-defense training that money can buy. People are saying that she's an equalist because she knew how to use that chi-blocking glove but honestly, those things look to be made for idiots. It really seems like anyone could put it on and just use it. It's not like trying to operate one of those mechs...

I think at this point it would be really lame to have her come out as evil. Especially since a big part of this episode seemed like the writers were trying to make it clear that Asami isn't evil. The "ally" in the episode description turned out to be Hiroshi Sato, but the entire fanbase wanted to know if Asami was good or evil. This episode seemed like closure to me.

Reminded me a bit of Toph running away from home + Zuko having to choose sides at the end of Crossroads of Destiny.

I think it was more of a way to finalize bringing Asami into the group. This episode had her bonding with Korra some, even tho Korra is still butthurt about the whole Mako thing. If anything, I think this just cements Asami as the 4th member of the group, filling the role of "clever non-bender who can still fight," just like Sokka (also they're both sexy, AND both lost their parents to fire benders :O)

As for the glove use, I can't imagine they're all THAT complicated to use.

It's looking like Korra's story is all going to be about restoring bending to a non-threatening state, like it was before the Fire Nation so effectively weaponized it (the repercussions of which are still felt 70 years later). So Asami, who lost her parents because of bending but doesn't hate benders because of it, can be sort of an immediate version of the rehabilitation Korra needs to pass on to the rest of the world.

Or something like that, anyway.

tl;dr Asami is Sokka in drag

just out of curiosity, how does the chakra theory hold now? I believe that if the theory held true, then this episode was supposed to be about the Air Chakra, which deals with love, and blocked by grief. The only thing I see about this episode that pertains to this chakra is that Hiroshi's grief for his murdered wife led him to Amon, but that almost feels like grasping at straws honestly. This episode didn't really focus on Korra much at all--not that I'm complaining, it was a nice change to see Asami get the spotlight this time.
I think that the Love / Grief Chakra still holds up for this episode, but oddly, it seems to apply more to Asami in this case than to Korra. Asami was living in the lap of luxury due to her father's success, and she loved him for it. But now she's sad that she had to leave her father by betraying him. He's not dead (I don't think), but she has lost him.

Probably a little bit of a stretch, but it's SOMETHING to apply here. And Korra witnessed all of this.

What I thought was weird was looking at the summary of the episode before it aired on the cable service's guide. I thought there was something in there about Korra being suspicious of something Tenzin tells her, but that didn't really come up here at all in the episode.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I call foul on the whole Asami being equalist undercover. She had the opportunity to hand Amon the avatar, Tenzin, Lin, and didn't pull through on it. I really don't think she'd have to fight Mako, who'd still be realing from the betrayal.

Speaking of Mako, I would of really preferred if they ended up with Korra down and Tenzin and Lin backs to the wall until they get a little lightning intervention, but they have this weird motif of benders not being able to do anything to the equalists (I maintain that Toph would of broken the platinum in half, shattering statements to the contrary, as well as Sato's body).

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
people really want asami to be evil, don't they?

give it up, she's the 4th member of the korra team
and she is a badass

AccidentalGreed

I find it amusing the the Equalists, unlike other villainous groups or individuals, are so prepared for everything their enemies throw at them. All the way down to their Chi-blockers and the gloves...and the platinum. Seriously, the guy makes a whole great wall of freaking platinum just so Earthbenders don't catch him. This screams over-prepared.

It sort of makes me wonder if they're so prepared for Airbenders as well.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think airbending in and of itself will be able to defeat the equalists, they seem to not have a big problem with Tenzin after all. Sure they could lock Korra in a place where she can't bend anything but Katara has shown a bit of sweat can go a long way.

I think airbending will be a result of Korra ability to be calm and spiritual which could allow for an avatar with the insight to appease the equalists and create a balance. In the episode where Korra is bullied by the press to joining the task force there is that idea present that she is living in Aang's shadow, and somehow he would be able to solve the anti-bending problem.

Also: Can everyone please admit there is 0 reason to believe Asami is an enemy at this point. Any turn by her at this point is unnecessary.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

I thought the same thing, but I really do think it's very far-fetched and I like Asami as part of the team, nevertheless the producers know how to fuck with us so it's not entirely impossible.

Does ayone knows what those crow-things were?
(the ones outside cabbage corp)

PS:
If your wife was murdered by benders I think you would do everything on your power to make sure your daughter has a way to protect herself from them, I wouldn't be surprised of she even knew some basic chi-blocking techniques, also she's her daughter which mean she's been around that king of technology for years and you wouldn't make a weapon really complicated if you want to actually use it before a brander gets to murder you

Does ayone knows what those crow-things were?
(the ones outside cabbage corp)
they're called lizard crows. if you play the interactive game on nick's website, it tells you a bit about them. but i think the wiki page will probably have a blurb about them

Yay for being half right, Asami not evil, but daddy turned out to be. Oh well, at least the mechs were really neat, Big Daddy from Bioshock was pretty much my first reaction when seeing them.

I still agree it's kinda pathetic how the benders keep losing essentially, especially when we're talking about 3 masters and earthbenders being able to bend metal (which itself can't be too easy given Toph had to discover it, and likely not everyone can sense the impurities in metal that easily). I was also annoyed how they still used little metal wire bending against giant mechs, seriously just crush the fuckers with good ol fashion earth bending, yeesh...you're in the enemy lair, who cares what flooring you might destroy. And how is it that platinum can't be bent either, that kinda got lost on me...and who cares where Asami learned to fight? May as well ask why she's able to drive a racecar expertly (even though she did explain), she's a rich girl and probably has had plenty of time to pick up plenty of moves.

I will agree though, Pabu is pure awesomeness. And Bolin is growing on me as well despite initially not caring for him (while conversely I'm caring less about Mako now).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)