Calm Before The Storm (Peaked #7 on PS!)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
CALM BEFORE THE STORM

Neviriru: subtatute is gay

TEAM AT A GLANCE

Hello everyone, and welcome to my first BW2 OU RMT! I've been playing for the past... I would say 2-3 weeks (it really hasn't been that long), and I must say the metagame is quite different from what I remember way back when I played BW1. Granted, the new Therian formes have been released and move tutors have shown their presence, but I do quite enjoy the metagame for the most part. Today's RMT is a little different from a lot of RMTs because it holds a Pokemon that many would question why the fuck I would use it and a Pokemon that has, for some reason, been placed in the shadows when it comes to team building. Hopefully with this RMT people will realize the menacing threat Gyarados still is despite Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, and other nasty Pokemon's appearances.

The first Pokemon to start with was obviously Gyarados. How I actually came across it was funny - I was playing around with a Conkeldurr team PKGaming and I made, and for the last slot we decided to run SubDD Gyarados. Despite being on a sand team, it usually wrecked more than Conkeldurr could, which was rather unusual to me (then again Conkeldurr's presence has been shadowed due to the new threats in general). I decided that I would take the reigns of trying out a full-fledged team supporting Gyarados.

This is where Politoed comes into the action. Granted, there are many sets I can choose from when it comes to this, but I decided that Scarf might be the best route for Gyarados. It could at least revenge kill threats such as Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T while being able to hit Pokemon that don't resist Water hard with STAB Hydro Pump in the rain. The rain is the biggest boon for Gyarados, as it helps make Waterfall all the more threatening to the opponent.

Having faced Tornadus-T in a couple of matches and knowing how awesome STAB Flying was before even using this set, I decided to slap Tornadus-T into the team. It actually has some interesting synergy with Gyarados because it stomps most Grass-types and a couple of faster threats such as Alakazam and Starmie into the ground. Furthermore, having U-turn for synergy and Superpower to troll Blissey and Tyranitar made it all the more appealing to me. Outspeeding Tyranitar, whether Scarf or not, is also significant.

Latias was next on my list, and for many good reasons. For one, she was able to take some of the more threatening attacks that were commonly faced against Politoed, Tornadus-T, and Gyarados. In particular to this, it would be Thunders and Thunderbolts. Furthermore, its typing provides awesome defensive synergy alongside many Pokemon, and its natural bulk was awesome. I decided that I still could use a little extra raw power to help Latias purge through some of the bulky Water-types, so slotting in Thunder was a good choice. Being Pursuit-bait isn't terrible, either, since it gives way to a free Substitute and possible Dragon Dance for Gyarados.

As bog standard as Scizor is (despite being one of my favorite Pokemon), it seemed like glue to this team. Scizor provides multitude of tasks that can only be delivered by Scizor itself. For one, it is probably my best answer to Ferrothorn. This alone makes me consider Scizor a primary Pokemon to use. For another, STAB U-turn is pretty significant to help aid predictions and switch-ins for my Pokemon. Bullet Punch nukes a lot of the frail sweepers with Pursuit being a key player against the Lati twins and Gengars that aren't SubDisable. In general - Scizor was a pivotal Pokemon both offensively and defensively, just like Latias.

Of course the only thing missing was Stealth Rock, at least it seemed. Being weak to Jolteon also kind of sucked, since it can be a menace on Rain teams. Mamoswine seemed like a good slot-in at the time since it could do both. Furthermore, it made revenge killing Dragons easy as sin and using Icicle Spear to beat Gliscor was hilarious as hell. Eventually, though, I found Mamoswine's mediocre bulk and some of its nasty weaknesses to be a major detriment to my team. Furthermore, my only reliable "counter" to Starmie was Latias, and she didn't particularly care for Ice Beams.

I remember joking around that I wanted Gastrodon on the team... until it couldn't learn Stealth Rock. So I looked at my options that could take Starmie, Jolteon, and lay Stealth Rock at the same time. The results? Well as funny as it sounds... it was Seismitoad. Yeah. Go fucking figure that one out. Even I barely can.

But it really did fit pretty well. For one thing, it trolled SubCM Jirachi - another threat I was weak to. For another, it also could check Metagross and was a safe switch-in to CM Raikou (granted Aura Sphere / HP Grass is a possibility and can hurt) and could take Thunders like a champ. Rotom-W was also less of a pain with this thing added.

IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS

Bastian (Politoed) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Scald / Perish Song / Sleep Talk​

Geoffrey
Today's the happy day the princess returns, yet the goddess sees fit to bring rain...

Bastian
Calm rain is like a kiss upon the face. A scent and feel unparalleled in kind. Reunions in the rain are most heartfelt.

Ah, Bastian. My weather. My Shakespeare. My frog. My friend. And, much like Bastian - sometimes crippling. Politoed is a rich noble because he obtained what is often seen the most absurd ability that almost any Water-type Pokemon could dream of - Drizzle. Drizzle is the crux of my entire team, and whether that is fortunate or not is another isshu.

Aside from summoning rain, Politoed's job is to wash up Pokemon that are normally faster than Gyarados with STAB Hydro Pump or STAB Scald in the rain. Scald's purpose is to (hopefully) catch Ferrothorn switch-ins and burn them in the process. Focus Blast is a necessary evil to knock out Hydreigon as well as catching Tyranitar on the switch. Ice Beam is useful for non-Scarf Salamence, +1 Adamant Dragonite, and Breloom if it hasn't set up Swords Dance.

Scald's slot has been the most tossed option in this entire team, though Focus Blast could also be argued in the same vein. Perish Song seems like something I could use. I find that SmashPass is annoying as sin to face, and Perish Song at least puts a minor stop to it (though in most cases people are stupid and lead with it). Furthermore, being able to cripple last minute Cursers such as Quagsire and Umbreon have made this option even more of a reason to consider. Sleep Talk seems odd, but I usually will throw in Politoed to take the Spore if Politoed's services aren't deemed that necessary.

POSSIBLE CONSIDERATIONS

Aside from what's been mentioned above, I have thought a little bit about going to Specs or even Defensive Politoed. I think Scarf is kind of necessary, though, despite being a point slower than Jolteon. Hidden Power Electric also could be useful to stop +1 Gyarados.

Wendy (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic​

Asthor: Whoo, scary... You're even more serious than your brother. And you're even built like him. What a shame for a girl of your age to be so f-

Wendy: I'm not fat! This is my armor!

A fitting name for a fitting Pokemon. Most people look at Wendy and think that anyone using her is a complete joke. Well, the same goes with Seismitoad. The differences between the two? Seismitoad isn't as dead-weight as Wendy is in FE6. I still can't believe dumbfucks use her - 4-5 Mov unit that has shitty bases and mediocre growths? COME THE HELL ON!

Seismitoad seemed like a joke to me at first, too. I figured, "damn it, I really don't want to add it in". After getting thrashed by CM Jirachi 3 times on Aunt Dora, I decided that it was time to give it a try. At first, I wanted Gastrodon. Access to Recover, having STAB Earthquake, and Scald to just be that much more annoying. Unfortunately, Gastrodon lacked one thing I needed that Mamoswine kind of provided - Stealth Rock. With Seismitoad's immunity to Water-type attacks like Gastrodon as well as access to Stealth Rock, it just screamed more reason to be used.

What's really nice about Seismitoad is that it scares spinners. No, seriously, think about it for a moment. You have Donphan and Forretress who hate repeated Scalds. You have Starmie which usually can't do jack shit to Seismitoad unless it has Psyshock or Grass Knot, which are rare. By the way, the Def EVs are to prevent Seismitoad from being 3HKOed by Life Orb Psyshock. Scary, isn't it? Finally, you have Tentacruel which rarely carry Toxic and can't take too many repeated Earthquakes. For an added bonus, Scald can 2HKO Skarmory in the rain provided that burn comes into play and Scald burning Ferrothorn is an easy way to get Gyarados into SubDD Rampage Mode.

Furthermore, it is an interesting way to lure in bulky Water-types because of its "capabilities". Everyone seems to want to get at it and use Toxic on Seismitoad. But hey, that's fine by me since I want to intoxicate Bulky Waters myself. Crippling Vaporeon and Politoed are two big things, too, because they are two Pokemon that can threaten Gyarados's rampage.

It may not be the most "effective" teammate, per se, but it really fills the needs that this team would suffer from otherwise. Having an Electric- and Water-type immunity is huge. Rock resist is another big one.

POSSIBLE CONSIDERATIONS

Honestly, there isn't much that can be done without possibly revamping the team a lot. Seismitoad provides a lot of things that the team requires, such as Stealth Rock and stops to certain threatening Pokemon, and using Gastrodon in place of Seismitoad leaves me without Stealth Rock or possibly swapping a teammate out for it. Trust me when I say - if Gastrodon could learn it, or fuck if Swampert had a Water immunity, I would rather use them. Still, for what Seismitoad provides... it's good.

Niime (Latias) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Recover
- Thunder​

Hugh: You're kidding! My good looks couldn't have come from your wrinkled old face.

Niime: I was a stunning beauty when I was your age. I would date men like you and dump them after they had spent all of their money on me.

Niime practically sacrificed her entire life to devote herself to Dark Magic. As for Latias, she's kind of sacrificing her life to... well hit harder. The main catch is, though, is that she can Recover the damage and keep the flow going.

Now I know what you're thinking. The first thing is "why max HP Latias and not max SpA?" For one thing, using max SpA makes Latias look like a much weaker, yet slightly bulkier Latios. For example, Latias takes 61.25 - 71.52% from LO Starmie's Ice Beam. Latios takes 69.86 - 81.78%. Now that's roughly a 10% difference on the SpD side. Now, instead of maximizing SpA, let's maximize HP. 50.82 - 59.34%. While that is definitely a 2HKO, that is a difference of roughly 10% increase in taking special attacks from min HP Latias. As for Latios, that's roughly a 20% increase.

So why Life Orb?

The next thing is needing power. Let's face it - while 110 SpA is by no means "bad", maximizing HP and using Leftovers makes Latias kind of a pushover in some cases. With Life Orb, Latias may take an extra 10% of health per turn, but she's going to dent or kill a lot of things in return. For example, a lot of people love switching Scizor into Latias. Surf in the rain 2HKOes Scizor with Life Orb. Unless Brelooms go Careful again nowadays, its OHKOed by Draco Meteor. Let's also recall that Latias has access to Recover, which, combined with Latias's bulk, makes Life Orb's recoil a little less intimidating.

So we have Draco Meteor, Surf, and Recover. So now comes the oddball - Thunder. Thunder may seem like the weird choice out of the set, but it's something that is necessary for the team. Let's recall what bulky Water-types trouble Gyarados. We can eliminate Tentacruel (though SubToxic sucks), Gastrodon that hasn't received a Storm Drain boost, Jellicent, and Milotic from the list since they're usually setup bait for Gyarados. This leaves Slowbro with Psychic or Psyshock, Vaporeon, and Politoed as the prime suspects of being able to rattle SubDD Gyarados's sweep. Now recall that we also have Seisimtoad who is likely intoxicating these Pokemon to help Gyarados and Latias's jobs. Thunder does 75.12 - 88.32% to Slowbro, Vaporeon and Suicune take over 50%, and Politoed takes 63-75%. The unfortunate news? Lack of Psyshock can get annoying against Calm Mind Keldeo and Virizion as well as Ninetales, who Latias can sort of manage without relying on the weather.

POSSIBLE CONSIDERATIONS

A lot, actually.

Latias is pretty great in practice, but I always ask myself "should I go back to Calm Mind variants or use Latios instead despite the loss of bulk?" Part of me honestly thinks that this Latias is probably the best for the team, though, so I doubt that I would change it. Though I do have to say - the damage on CroCune is disappointing as hell - probably another good reason to put Perish Song on Politoed.

Levin (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Taunt​

Lahna:
I'll be fine, Levin.
You, as a descendant of the Wind Crusader, must guide the world onto the proper path.
I believe the time has come for me to entrust you with the Sacred Wind Tome, Holsety.
Here you go. It's yours now.

Levin:
So this is our family's Book of Holsety! Eraagh... What power! Where's this heat coming from?

Lahna:
Levin, please remember the Wind Crusader flows like a cool breeze guiding all living beings to the path of peace.
His way is never to be confused with violence.

Levin:
Yes, I understand now. That is the only way I could hope to live my life.

Lahna:
Hmm... You are without a doubt a child of the wind.
Levin, you need to get going. Take care and use sound judgement out there.

Levin the Tornadus-Therian. See, Tornadus was kind of just Levin without Holsety. Therian is what happens when Holsety is handed to Tornadus - he becomes faster and still hits like a truck.

Honestly, I remember way back in Generation 4 how I thought STAB Flying was awesome. Hell, it was even an awesome thing for Ubers - just look at Ho-oh and what Brave Bird could do! A lot of people underrate it as a STAB, and they did for quite a while in Generation 5 up until around Thundurus's ban. And yet, even though Thundurus-T exists, Tornadus-T has shown the world just how menacing STAB Hurricane alone is, and just how trolly 121 base Speed is. In short - Tornadus-T is fucking awesome.

While Gyarados's main issues involve Ferrothorn, Tyranitar is a big enough threat to the team to invoke a problem with its Sandstream. This makes Superpower look very appealing. Remember what was mentioned earlier in the RMT - it outspeeds even Scarf Tyranitar, so that leaves Chople Tyranitar as probably the only stop for it. Being able to troll Chansey and Blissey is also a huge advantage. U-turn should be obvious - it's a great way to scout and it eases prediction.

Taunt is very interesting on Tornadus-T, and something that I find underrated on it as well. I often look to Tornadus-T to lead the team; especially when Mew is around. Being able to Taunt and stop menacing things such as Baton Pass chains alone is pretty big. Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes are also halted with it. Chansey and Blissey hate it the most. For an added bonus, I almost don't care if Tornadus-T takes a hit - so long as SR isn't up yet, Tornadus-T can recover some of the health lost, and possibly then some.

Tornadus-T's job is simple - put some dents on the opponents team, scout a little bit, and maybe Taunt to fuck things up. Tornadus-T is one fun Pokemon to use in the rain.

Brighton (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Mekkah's Review on Brighton:

Brighton's bases are mediocre, his growths are mediocre, his only support partner is mediocre, his face is medio...oh, he has Wrath? Stop the presses.

Seriously, look at what they did. They gave Wrath to a unit whose forte is defense, but whose main problem is offense, and they make him join as early as Ch4. Ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to hype the hell out of this one.

Brighton's access to Wrath and Scizor's access to Bullet Punch is a pretty common trait that is shared between them. Furthermore, Scizor and Brighton are durable fuckers, and U-turn acts like Canto for Brighton. As for Pursuit being paired with Brighton, think if Wrath + Ambush was available on Brighton. You get Scizor in general.

Scizor is pretty much a utility Pokemon that can harm things all-in-one. Being able to take some of the most menacing Pokemon such as Dragon-types with its typing and access to Bullet Punch alone is a huge feat that most Pokemon are unable to brag about. U-turn being able to leave dents on Pokemon that switch into Scizor or stay in on Scizor is also a great thing to have. Let's not forget how I mentioned that Scizor is a good switch-in to Ferrothorn, too, and can slam it hard with Superpower. In general, Scizor is just a great Pokemon for me to have on the team, and being able to check a lot of offensive threats such as Terrakion and Virizion is just another huge plus for it to stay.

POSSIBLE CONSIDERATIONS

Uh...

...Can't really think of one aside from maybe trying Genesect? Then again, Bullet Punch is kind of a lifesaver. Pursuit is great too for Lati twins if Magnezone and Magneton aren't around.

Haar (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 120 Atk / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute​

A Support

Makalov: Oh, there you are! Hey, Haar!
Haar: Zzzzzzzz...
Makalov: HAAR!!! Wake up! Oh, no! Look! Here comes General Ike!
Haar: Zzzzzzzz...
Makalov: Nothing will wake him up! He has a lot of guts sleeping before a battle like this. You have to respect that! Even debt collectors would be intimidated... I need to be more like him! Then I'll never have to pay anyone back! All right! I need to get training! The first thing I need to learn is how to sleep anywhere.... Zzzzzz...
Haar: ...Quiet down! Who's interrupting my nap?!
Makalov: ...Zzzzzz... Phew... Grrrr... I was wrong... Sorry, Marcia! ...Zzzzzz...
Haar: ...
Makalov: Let me...zzzz...borrow some money...zzz...
Haar: Look at him, sleeping before a big battle. It's a miracle he's survived in his state. He must be really lucky. I hope he pulls through!

Finally, the finishing touch for the team. The threat that is seen as durable, fast, and as powerful as none other than the man who took FE10 and snapped it in half with flight to boot - Gyarados. This thing holds a lot of the reason why I was able to take teams and decimate them to pieces and take situations that would seem like doom and gloom and tilt the scales in my favor. Gyarados, the threat that is oft overlooked. Especially by shitty users like Eo.

(I'm just kidding Eo. But seriously stop using Amoonguss.)

So why use the Bulky Gyarados EV spread? Let's think about this for a moment - the goal with Gyarados is obviously obtaining as many Dragon Dances and sweeping. With using Substitute, we want to be able to take two hits minimum so Gyarados can use Dragon Dance on the one turn the Substitute is still up. Let's look at this calculation:

Jellicent Shadow Ball - 20.26 - 24%

Now with the old EV spread:

Jellicent Shadow Ball - 22.02 - 26.08%

While that may not seem like a huge difference, being able to guarantee a Substitute staying up (barring a critical hit) is more than significant enough reason to use it.

Bounce is chosen as the last attack. Yes, this does make Gyarados a little bit liable to some tactics such as Protect and Substitute. Still, we can cover many of those threats with the power of Toxic from Seismitoad, Thunder from Latias, and Hurricanes from Tornadus-T.

==========​

And that's the team. Thank you very much for taking the time out of your life to rate this team (or bash it I guess...). Hopefully people will see how threatening Gyarados can be in the wrong places of opportunity.

IMPORTABLE VERSION

Code:
Bastian (Politoed) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Scald

Wendy (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic

Niime (Latias) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Recover
- Thunder

Levin (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Taunt

Brighton (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Haar (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 120 Atk / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Standard OU Offensive Threats

Tyranitar:
  • Choice Band - Honestly the best way to handle this thing is Seismitoad and Scizor... Choice Band Tyranitar can be a little intimidating to switch into. The good news is that it's slow, so it's easy to revenge kill.
  • Choice Scarf - See Choice Band, but a little easier to switch into attacks.
  • Dragon Dance - Why is this still listed as a threat?

...Okay fine. Scizor and Seismitoad. Tornadus-T and Politoed can revenge it at +1. Sheesh. Please don't use Dragon Dance Tyranitar.
Rotom-W:
  • Choice Scarf / Specs - Seismitoad is the best option. Latias can act as back-up.
  • Support - In this scenario, Latias might be slightly better to switch into Rotom-W due to Will-O-Wisp screwing up Seismitoad. If no Jirachi or EQ-prone Pokemon are present, Seismitoad is fine.
Scizor:
  • Choice Band - In most cases, Gyarados is probably the best switch-in. Just have to be careful about Quick Attack.
  • Swords Dance - To be honest I don't like switching Gyarados into this one because it stings a lot harder, but it's a necessary tactic as otherwise it could lead to trouble. Politoed can revenge kill rather easily thanks to Choice Scarf.

I would also like to point out that Swords Dance Scizor is a reason why running Speed on Specs Politoed isn't always a bad thing, either. Though Jolly can outspeed you, Adamant is usually more common.
  • Bulky Swords Dance - This one lacks a bit of a bite (heh), so Gyarados and Politoed can manage it.
Dragonite: I want to begin stating that Dragonite is a rather problematic Pokemon to face for this team, and a lot of the reasons come back to the multitude of sets that it can run. Stealth Rock is the main key to taking this monster down.
  • Choice Band - Probably the easiest of them - while it hits hard, its locked onto one attack. Once its locked onto Outrage, it's easier to handle.
  • Dragon Dance - Politoed can revenge kill +1 Adamant Dragonite with Ice Beam provided that it hasn't Roosted yet. Once its locked onto Outrage, hit to Scizor.
  • Mixed - This includes both Rain and the so-called new Mixed Sweeper Dragonite. Ugh. Let's just say there's no real safe switch-in, but like Choice Band the lack of Speed can help me out a little.
  • Parashuffler - ...Taunt Tornadus-T. It stops like 75% of the set.
  • Rain Abuse - Well Rain Abuse is like Mixed... so...

...Seismitoad is close to being a good way to handle it but man does Hurricane hurt.
Politoed:
  • Choice Specs / Scarf - Politoed is probably the best switch-in for these, followed by Latias. If its locked onto Hidden Power Grass, Gyarados can possibly take advantage of it and set up. Ice Beam / Hidden Power locks usually spell doom to Scizor Pursuit.
  • 3 Attacks - Seismitoad. Though HP Grass can suck. Latias comes next.
Heatran:
  • Standard -Is this supposed to cover all Heatran?

Well it's a rain team...

...With a lot of Water-types... 3 to be exact... and a Dragon-type to boot...

...Yeah...
Jirachi:
  • Substitute + Calm Mind / Wish + Calm Mind - Seismitoad. It's practically THE only answer, sadly.
  • Expert Belt - Seismitoad.
  • Choice Scarf -Seismitoad. Gyarados can also work.
Latios: I'm not going to list counters and checks because I'm going to explain it here. The best method for non-Calm Mind versions is to let Draco Meteor spill itself all over a sacrifice, get Scizor in, and Pursuit it.

Calm Mind can actually be a problem since Politoed and Tornadus-T are special attackers... Scizor kind of works best here.
Reuniclus:
  • Calm Mind - Scizor. Watch out for Burn Orb!
  • Offensive Trick Room - Scizor. At worst I've had Latias take a Shadow Ball and dent it with Draco Meteor.
Haxorus: Honestly the best way is this:

- Wait for Outrage
- Get Scizor in
- ???
- Hope for no crit.

You expected profit, didn't you?

Slower variants are easier to pick off with Latias at least, so usually I just hope its Choice Band Haxorus.
Ninetales:
  • Nasty Plot - Latias is technically one of my better switch-ins to this thing, but +2 Fire Blast can hurt (~61.53 - 72.25%). Politoed can go on the revenge.
  • Choice Specs - I haven't seen this one often, and Energy Ball / Solarbeam can be punished via Scizor.
  • Special Attacker - This one can be annoying because it cancels out my rain if I send in Politoed. Latias is the best answer for it.
Conkeldurr:
  • Bulk Up - Usually what happens is they won't preemptively use Ice Punch, so switching into Tornadus-T is usually fine. Politoed and Latias can also revenge it.
  • Flame Orb + 3 Attacks - Slightly easier to revenge with the others, but man can Mach Punch hurt Politoed.
Celebi:
  • Nasty Plot Sweeper - Technically the best answer to this is Latias.
  • Tinkerbell - Uhhh... if it lacks HP Fire or if rain is up, Scizor is good?
  • Choice Specs / Choice Scarf - Wait for the right moment... or go to Latias. That works too.
Terrakion:
  • Double Dance - Scizor
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Band - Seek hel- I mean Scizor. Seismitoad and Latias can play on its STABs.
  • Substitute + Swords Dance - Scizo-

Okay it can be revenged via Politoed, Tornadus-T, and Latias too.
Gyarados:
  • Offensive / Bulky Dragon Dance - Ironically, I am kind of weak to Gyarados. Best method is usually switching into Latias and spamming Thunder.
  • Choice Band / Choice Scarf - Seismitoad can switch into a lot of the attacks Gyarados throws. Just watch out for Choice Band Returns, EQs, and Outrages (or Scarf Outrage I guess). Gyarados can take the opportunity on EQ and set up.
Gengar:
  • Substitute + Disable / Pain Split - Nasty foe, but luckily I have Scizor, Tornadus-T, and Politoed who can work around it. Usually what happens is I'll keep a Pokemon in to bust the Sub, then switch since Gengar will likely Disable.
Starmie:
  • Life Orb - Lacks Grass Knot? Seismitoad. Latias can work in emergencies.
  • Rapid Spin - See above.
  • Choice Specs - See above. Watch out for Trick! Scizor can Pursuit on Ice Beam lock.
Landorus:
  • Rock Polish / Swords Dance - This one can be nasty to face. If rain is up, it helps. If its only Swords Danced; Politoed, Latias, and Tornadus-T can revenge it. Scizor also works and can handle Rock Polish a bit. If it somehow gets both... I'm in trouble.
  • Choice Scarf - Seismitoad is kind of a good switch-in. Scizor can revenge. EQ is punished via Gyarados and Latias.
  • Substitute + 3 Attacks - Menacing, but outsped by the Pokemon listed above and can be BP-ed with Scizor.
Infernape:
  • Mixed Attacker - Latias. Seismitoad can work in emergencies. Politoed can revenge kill as well as Tornadus-T.
  • Nasty Plot / Swords Dance Booster - See above. Politoed has to be careful about +2 Mach Punch.
  • Choice Band - See above, but +1 Mach Punch.
Volcarona: Getting Stealth Rock down is very important here. And praying it isn't bulky...
  • Offensive Quiver Dance - Seismitoad... can... yeah it doesn't really work. Gyarados can be used as a last-ditch effort. Same with Scizor.
  • Bulky Quiver Dance - IIRC, +1 Volcarona are usually slower than Tornadus-T. That could change with BW2, though. Politoed could revenge it since I doubt it would Speed creep much higher.
  • Chesto Rest - I pray to never face this set.
  • Substitute - See above.
Magnezone:
  • Substitute - Seismitoad. Watch out for HP Grass, though Latias can sort of function in an emergency.
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Specs - See above, though HP Grass shouldn't be an issue with these.
Espeon:
  • Calm Mind - Scizor. Watch out for HP Fire...
  • Bulky Sun Attacker / Passer - If it lacks HP Fire, Scizor is g2g.
Salamence: Stealth Rock is obviously important here, and making sure that the opponent isn't using Choice Scarf. If it is, Scizor will have to be relied on to revenge Salamence. The best strategy to this thing is sacking.
Hydreigon: See above, though less emphasis on Outrage's threat. Draco Meteor hurts, but it can be punished.
Breloom:
  • Swords Dance - Tornadus-T and Latias are my best answers to it. Scizor in dire emergencies.
  • Sub Seed - See above.
  • Sub Punch - See above.
Latias: See Latios.
Toxicroak:
  • Swords Dance - Scizor can usually revenge these pretty easily.
  • Bulk Up - This one is trickier to handle, though the best method I found was Tornadus-T using Taunt, then Hurricaning or going to Scizor if it hasn't BUed yet.
Lucario: Lucario can actually be a pain in the ass, but it's so rare that I really forget its presence. Most of the time my Pokemon have moves that threaten it from sweeping. Obviously it has come in on Scizor locked into a bad move before, though, so...

IIRC, Latias can survive +2 ES. I think Politoed can, too. Gyarados can usually survive +1.
Virizion: The best ways to handle Virizion is Tornadus-T, then Scizor, then Latias in that order.
Scrafty: Haven't seen this thing often, but...
  • Dragon Dance - Tornadus-T and Politoed can revenge it at +1.
  • Bulk Up - Tornadus-T.
Venusaur: Ugh, Venusaur. This thing can suck under Sun.
  • Special Growth - Latias can usually handle it. If it lacks HP Fire, Scizor.
  • Mixed Growth - See above, though EQ can hurt with Scizor.
  • SubSeed - Haven't seen this one often, but Scizor is probably the better bet if it lacks HP Fire. If it doesn't... get rain quickly!
Metagross: Seismitoad is probably my best answer. If it hasn't used Agility at all, it can be revenged by Politoed and Latias. Gyarados too, usually.
Mienshao:
  • All-Out Attacker - Usually these things lead, so I just have Politoed lead and HPump them.
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Band - If it's Scarf, it can really suck if its locked into the right move at the right time. Choice Band is slow, though. Scizor can Bullet Punch at least, but Regenerator usually keeps these sets at fully health. Usually.
Cloyster: I want to point out that I'm aware this team is pretty Cloyster-weak, and it can suck to handle it. Best way is usually having Gyarados (if it isn't out) switch into Cloyster to Intimidate. This removes White Herb. From there... it's hard to dance around really. This set makes me really think about defensive Politoed to an extent. Don't forget the trusty Stealth Rock!
Mamoswine:
  • Physical Attacker - Honestly, the best way to handle it is through revenge. Seismitoad and Gyarados can kind of work, but not to be relied on.
  • Focus Sash + Endeavor - Get it into Sash, then Bullet Punch. Usually if I see Mamo I'll lead with Politoed so it has to make a painful choice.
Darmanitan: Get Stealth Rock up quickly for this one.
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Band - Usually these things have to deal with rain, or so I found out, so Seismitoad can switch into a lot of the moves Darmanitan has. It can suck in the sun, though, and I pray that its usually Choice Band.
Tornadus: I'll also address Tornadus-T here. And the best way is through revenge and with Stealth Rock out on the field.
Abomasnow:
  • Choice Scarf - Wood Hammer lock usually means Tornadus-T can go in as well as Latias. Blizzard can suck, though, as well as Ice Shard. Scizor is probably the best one here.
  • SubSeed - Ugh. I hate this set with a passion. Scizor is probably my biggest friend here as well.
  • Mixed Attacker - See above, though watch out for HP Fire.
Alakazam:
  • Substitute + 3 Attacks - Tornadus-T and Politoed can outspeed Alakazam. Also, Scizor can throw Alakazam into either checkmate via Pursuit or Bullet Punch it.
  • Offensive Calm Mind - See above.
  • Focus Sash - See above.
Azelf:
  • Dual Screens - Since it usually leads, just Taunt.
  • Lead - See above.
  • Nasty Plot - Best method is to revenge it. Tornadus-T, Politoed, Scizor.
  • Choice Band - Haven't seen this one often... see above.
Azumarill:
  • Choice Band - Aside from Superpower and Return, Seismitoad can work. This thing can hurt to switch into. Aqua Jet locks, IIRC, can be setup bait for Gyarados.
Deoxys-D:
  • Fast Spiker - Usually its a lead, so Taunt will work. Though Psycho Boost can kind of hurt... I haven't had much of a situation like this one before, but usually they try to Spike first. Scizor also can work if it lacks HP Fire. Latias isn't really phazed by either of its moves. Gyarados can usually set up after Psycho Boost has expired.
Dugtrio: Since Dugtrio is Dugtrio, I'll put it like this - get Stealth Rock out ASAP to take out Focus Sash. After that, Scizor can Bullet Punch it all day every day.
Empoleon:
  • Agility - Seismitoad, though Grass Knot sucks. SubPetaya w/Ice Beam might be used though since its released, so... Latias can work in an emergency.
  • Choice Specs - Seismitoad can handle everything but Grass Knot. Latias can take anything but Ice Beams.
Gorebyss:
  • SmashPass - Fucking hate this thing. I don't have many answers to it really aside from "fuck who the receiver is." Facing SmashPass sucks. Seriously. Usually I will go to Gyarados to cancel White Herb, then set up Substitute and dance or bust their Sub. This is why I think I should incorporate Perish Song Politoed.
  • Shell Smash Sweeper - See above. Honestly, I think the best way is probably Seismitoad, though I think they usually pack HP Grass.
Kingdra: This thing can be annoying because the first thing I -won't- do is give it the opportunity to run Swift Swim. Thankfully their team sometimes supplies me with short bursts of rain, and I can make use of it.
  • Dragon Dance - Seismitoad forces Kingdra into Outrage - which might be a good thing. The problem is ChestoRest can suck to face.
  • Rain Dance - Seismitoad. Draco Meteor can hurt, though.
  • Choice Specs - Seismitoad takes the Water attacks - Scizor for Dragon.
Kyurem: This one definitely requires Stealth Rock down on the field.
  • Choice - You know what's really depressing? Specs Draco Meteor can still break Gyarados's Substitutes. If it's Scarfed, it's harder to revenge kill. Scizor is pretty much the only way. If it's Specs, sack and kill.
  • Substitute + 3 Attacks -This one can be tricky to take on... see above.
  • Substitute + Roost - Scizor is usually the best bet here.
Victini: Another reason to get SR down.
  • Choice Band / Scarf - Usually I have rain up, but Seismitoad is the best answer. If I don't have rain, V-Create can kind of hurt.
  • Physical Attacker - See above.
Stoutland:
  • Choice Band - Revenge the puppy via Hydro Pump. Scizor also isn't a terrible switch-in. If it locks onto Pursuit, get Gyarados in and get cracking.
Smeargle: Thank God they're usually leads, so I Taunt and get out. Probably another reason to use Perish Song.
Sharpedo:
  • Speed Boost - Non-HP Grass variants get stopped by Seismitoad. Last minute fiascos Scizor can revenge it.
Rotom-C:
  • Choice Scarf / Choice Specs - Latias. After Leaf Storm and assuming Trick hasn't gone through yet, Scizor can Pursuit it.
  • Support - Latias.
Genesect: Stealth Rock is VERY crucial for this one, and Download can be tricky to "counter" it.
  • Choice - Usually Seismitoad or Scizor are a big help here. Latias also can too, but she has to watch out for SE U-turn. I definitely appreciate slower sets!
  • Rock Polish - pending on the move choice really. Without Flamethrower - Scizor, though Thunderbolt and Thunder can hurt. Without Ice Beam - Nothing really. Seismitoad I guess. Without Thunder(bolt) - Politoed can sort of work as can Gyarados. Killing it ASAP is the best method.
  • Expert Belt - Slower, so easier to revenge kill. The issue? Bluffing is really easy to do. Usually they give it away pretty quickly, though.
Thundurs-T (Just pretend its Thundurus-T): Another reason to get SR up quickly.
  • Choice - So long as it lacks Grass Knot, Seismitoad.
  • Nasty Plot - usually have to sack something, but easy to revenge kill.
  • Agility - It can suck, but Seismitoad and Latias can sort of deter it. Scizor too.
Defensive coming soon.

Standard OU Defensive Threats

Tyranitar:
  • Specially Defensive -
Rotom-W:
  • Standard -
Ferrothorn:
  • Standard -
Politoed:
  • Defensive -
Gliscor:
  • Swords Dance -
  • Substitute + Protect -
  • AcroBat -
  • Defensive -
Heatran:
  • Specially Defensive -
Jirachi:
  • Specially Defensive -
Skarmory:
  • Physically Defensive Spiker -
  • Specially Defensive Spiker -
Ninetales:
  • Specially Defensive -
Celebi:
  • Physically Defensive -
Forretress:
  • Physically Defensive Spiker -
  • Specially Defensive Spiker -
Gyarados:
  • RestTalk -
Jellicent:
  • Utility Counter -
Tentacruel:
  • Toxic Spikes -
Gastrodon:
  • Tank -
Espeon:
  • Dual Screens -
  • Baton Pass -
Blissey:
  • Support -
Vaporeon:
  • Wish Support -
Latias:
  • Support -
Bronzong:
  • Tank -
  • Dual Screens -
Swampert:
  • Defensive -
Mew:
  • Stallbreaker -
Slowbro:
  • Tank -
Quagsire:
  • Curse -
  • Specially Defensive -
  • Physically Defensive -
Cresselia:
  • Support -
  • Dual Screens -
Deoxys-D:
  • Bulky Spiker -
  • Toxic Staller -
Empoleon:
  • Specially Defensive -
Hippowdon:
  • Physical Tank -
Xatu:
  • Standard -
  • Dual Screens -
Wobbuffet:
  • Bulky -
Whimsicott:
  • Prankster -
Tangrowth:
  • Physically Defensive -
Sableye:
  • Prankster -
Porygon2:
  • Defensive -
Chansey:
  • Support -

How does Cradily sound over Seismitoad? I mean, you still get that water immunity, Stealth Rock's, Toxic and even Recover which is great. It also shares still provides some nice resistances (rock + electric especially) whilst functioning really well against sand teams. I'm pretty sure it has better bulk that Seismitoad, but I haven't really looked. A set like Stealth Rock | Recover | Toxic/Earthquake | Energy Ball/Earthquake with some random ass EV spread sounds cool. It still scares of those spinners you mentioned (it's even less worried about them IMO). Plus it's an even bigger counter to bulky waters thanks to Storm Drain + Energy Ball.

GL

Hi, I remember battling this team on PS!, and was quite annoyed by it (mainly because my team didn't really have an answer for Gyarados at that point). Anyway this is a very solid team.
As for Dezza Laa, Cradily actually doesn't resist rock, one of the main reasons why Seismitoad is on this team as nothing else resists it. Alternatively, I recommend replacing Seismitoad with either a Ferrothorn or a Jirachi. These steel types benefit from rain, and can take Rock-type moves which would otherwise score at least a neutral hit on your entire team. They also provide a very important resistance- Dragon. Since Scizor is not the epitome of bulkiness, it is easily worn down or taken out. Scizor is also not really a solid answer to Latios since they sometimes carry HP Fire. After that, Draco Meteors and Outrages will quickly devastate your team. (Which is actually what I did)

Ferrothorn@Rocky Helmet
Evs: 252Hp/168Def/88SpD Impish
Stealth Rock|Leech Seed|Power Whip|Thunder Wave
This Ferrothorn takes Water, Rock, and Electric moves very well, and really helps against Kingdra users. It also fares decently against sand teams. The Rocky Helmet combined with Iron Barbs really puts the hurt on U-turn and Outrage users. Thunder Wave prevents Ferrothorn from being total set-up bait, and the Fighting-type weakness is also perfect for allowing Gyarados to come in and set up. This does leave you somewhat vulnerable to Thunderus-T's NP and Agility sets, they're rather uncommon and can be revenged/played around easily with the rest of your team. You can change the Ev spread if you want (actually you probably should).
Jirachi is similar, only it takes Hurricanes better, another huge threat to your team.
Standard LO Latios (with the same moves as Latias if you want) is also a great choice-the Draco Meteors just smash opposing teams and his bulk is actually really quite good-with Recovery, my Latios is usually one of the last pokes to fall on my team.
As for Sub+Cm Jirachi, you can run Encore on Politoed as the 4th moveslot, which will lock Jirachi into Substitute or Cm, allowing you to set up with Gyarados. You can also run Roar on Lati@s, but encore is probably better. Encore also just as good as perish song against baton pass teams.
Good luck and hope I helped!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, this is a pretty solid team. You talked to me about it before, I have given you advice and shit and there is not much else to say. Its a great team, and yea, well done man, good job with your success with it.

Hello Colonel M! Your team is really good, not much I can say right now! It's really cool seeing someone show an NU Pokemon like Seismitoad can be effective in OU if used properly.

I just want to suggest you use Perish Song in your last slot for Politoed rather than the other moves. Like you said, bulky variants of Volcarona and Suicune can give your team trouble, and you can completely shut down Smeargle leads by using Perish Song. Given that your Politoed is offensive, I imagine Scald wouldn't be used often, as most of the time you're just going to want to hit hard with the rain boosted Hydro Pump. Sleep Talk is only useful against Breloom, who shouldn't be much trouble anyway as he can only safely come in on Seismitoad.

Overall, great team dude :)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wow, I don't even know where to start man.

Congratulations on peaking that high on the PS ladder (and with an incredible record to boot). I'd say "I knew you had it in ya" but I honestly didn't think you'd get that high. The team itself? Brilliant, and i'm not just saying that. I was with you since the original teams inception and you actually stuck with one thing (Gyarados; RIP Conkeldurr) and made it work. I remember when your team reached a "it's almost there" point and you were looking for a Pokemon that would help this team reach nirvana. I have no idea how you landed on Seismitoed, but I remember constantly bitching about "shitty" that Pokemon was, or how much of a "crutch" Seismitoed is, but you know what? Its actually kind of decent. It takes the best qualities of every existing bulky ground/water and meshes into a "kind of jack of all trades" type defensive Pokemon. Anyway i'm rabbling, great team and I love the little things about your team (usingLO Latias over Latios? CHOICE)

I also loved the writing / FE references. In fact, the references were completely spot on.

5 stars

You might want a Rapid Spinner since your main member (Gyarados) is weak to Stealth Rock.

But I like your team. I thought I was the only one who used the Bulky DD EV's on the Sub set.

Ok so two things:
  1. Congratz on peak, dude.
  2. Seismitoad is definitely the worst 'mon ever, but you've definitely made it work beautifully on this team.
  3. Ok so I lied -- three things. LO Latias is definitely more similar Amelia / Nino than shitty Niime. Plz change her nick asap =(

Regarding the team itself, I can't see any immediate weaknesses. Rain Volc might be able to give you trouble if Tornadus, Gyarados, and Toed have been weakened a bit. You could (kinda) remedy this by using Rock Slide Seismitoad; however, playing around it shouldn't be too difficult. Other than that, this team is certainly a solid and legit one. So, reiterating what I said before: Congratz on the success.

Having fought this team myself, I can definitely say that this team is effective and is very difficult to counter. Colonel M has clearly put a lot of effort and thought into this team and it's impressive he was able to write up a list of all the threats possible to his team and everything he can do to counter them.

However:
1. Change Tornadus-Therian's name to Janaff. Janaff is badass enough to tell Tibarn to stfu and get away with it. Levin is just some spoony bard with terrible fashion sense.
2. I thought Scizor was Mia and you gave her approximately ten kilomias worth of favoritism.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Thanks for the rates and compliments guys! It's greatly appreciated! Also the Luvdiscs too!
How does Cradily sound over Seismitoad? I mean, you still get that water immunity, Stealth Rock's, Toxic and even Recover which is great. It also shares still provides some nice resistances (rock + electric especially) whilst functioning really well against sand teams. I'm pretty sure it has better bulk that Seismitoad, but I haven't really looked. A set like Stealth Rock | Recover | Toxic/Earthquake | Energy Ball/Earthquake with some random ass EV spread sounds cool. It still scares of those spinners you mentioned (it's even less worried about them IMO). Plus it's an even bigger counter to bulky waters thanks to Storm Drain + Energy Ball.

GL
Well one problem is that Cradily doesn't resist Rock.

The other issue that comes with Cradily comes down to adding a lot more annoying weaknesses - for one, Ice Beam from Starmie hurts, so I don't know how it's exactly "scaring" Starmie. EQ does pitiful damage to Forretress and is practically an invitation to keep setting up their entry hazards. It's only really effective on Donphan and, to an extent, Tentacruel. Tentacruel is still getting its Toxic Spikes fill in, though, and there's always the rare Liquid Ooze that can create some havoc if Cradily is using Giga Drain.

It also doesn't quite solve walling SubCM Jirachi (Psyshock / Flash Cannon variants both make through it while Seismitoad only has to worry about Psyshock and repeatedly boosted Flash Cannons) and adds greater weaknesses to Genesect and, to an extent, Scizor (while Choice Band U-turn can hurt, it's not getting a free switch-in thanks to Scald). Sorry, it just doesn't seem like a good fit IMO.
Hi, I remember battling this team on PS!, and was quite annoyed by it (mainly because my team didn't really have an answer for Gyarados at that point). Anyway this is a very solid team.
As for Dezza Laa, Cradily actually doesn't resist rock, one of the main reasons why Seismitoad is on this team as nothing else resists it. Alternatively, I recommend replacing Seismitoad with either a Ferrothorn or a Jirachi. These steel types benefit from rain, and can take Rock-type moves which would otherwise score at least a neutral hit on your entire team. They also provide a very important resistance- Dragon. Since Scizor is not the epitome of bulkiness, it is easily worn down or taken out. Scizor is also not really a solid answer to Latios since they sometimes carry HP Fire. After that, Draco Meteors and Outrages will quickly devastate your team. (Which is actually what I did)

Ferrothorn@Rocky Helmet
Evs: 252Hp/168Def/88SpD Impish
Stealth Rock|Leech Seed|Power Whip|Thunder Wave
This Ferrothorn takes Water, Rock, and Electric moves very well, and really helps against Kingdra users. It also fares decently against sand teams. The Rocky Helmet combined with Iron Barbs really puts the hurt on U-turn and Outrage users. Thunder Wave prevents Ferrothorn from being total set-up bait, and the Fighting-type weakness is also perfect for allowing Gyarados to come in and set up. This does leave you somewhat vulnerable to Thunderus-T's NP and Agility sets, they're rather uncommon and can be revenged/played around easily with the rest of your team. You can change the Ev spread if you want (actually you probably should).
Jirachi is similar, only it takes Hurricanes better, another huge threat to your team.
Standard LO Latios (with the same moves as Latias if you want) is also a great choice-the Draco Meteors just smash opposing teams and his bulk is actually really quite good-with Recovery, my Latios is usually one of the last pokes to fall on my team.
As for Sub+Cm Jirachi, you can run Encore on Politoed as the 4th moveslot, which will lock Jirachi into Substitute or Cm, allowing you to set up with Gyarados. You can also run Roar on Lati@s, but encore is probably better. Encore also just as good as perish song against baton pass teams.
Good luck and hope I helped!
I'm trying to remember what you used on the ladder. Were you the one with DD + Outrage Gyarados?

Anyway, Ferrothorn is probably a better replacement than Cradily. For starters, it boasts the resistances that I want. It does lay Spikes, and Leech Seed support can actually be very sexy. Thunder Wave support is also a huge boon, too. I think the only thing that kind of makes me annoyed about using it is how easy it is to trap Ferrothorn with SubCharge Magnezone. Though, it does have the added bonus of making U-turn Scizor and Genesect really miserable with the added damage. I'll actually think about this one. Eo suggested Support Celebi, but I don't like how it can't really do much to bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon and it makes U-turn that much more threatening (at least Seismitoad is neutral to U-turn).

Jirachi also can work mainly because Wish-passing was something I was thinking about lately, and at least Genesect isn't going to get too far with Flamethrowers in the rain. Maybe I'll give this a try too. Thunder / HP Ice / Wish / Stealth Rock seems okay (fuck Iron Head IMO, then again fucking Tyranitar...).

WRT Latios - while the extra power sounds very appealing, I have to say the bulk has saved me too many times to really care for the boost in power. Bulky Water-types are hilarious since their Ice Beams do about 20% to Latias.
Hello Colonel M! Your team is really good, not much I can say right now! It's really cool seeing someone show an NU Pokemon like Seismitoad can be effective in OU if used properly.

I just want to suggest you use Perish Song in your last slot for Politoed rather than the other moves. Like you said, bulky variants of Volcarona and Suicune can give your team trouble, and you can completely shut down Smeargle leads by using Perish Song. Given that your Politoed is offensive, I imagine Scald wouldn't be used often, as most of the time you're just going to want to hit hard with the rain boosted Hydro Pump. Sleep Talk is only useful against Breloom, who shouldn't be much trouble anyway as he can only safely come in on Seismitoad.

Overall, great team dude :)
Yeah, I definitely agree with you here - in fact I just made the change of Perish Song > Scald. At the end of the day, these threats are too hard to keep out of check.
You might want a Rapid Spinner since your main member (Gyarados) is weak to Stealth Rock.

But I like your team. I thought I was the only one who used the Bulky DD EV's on the Sub set.
Stealth Rock can be annoying, but the issue is and always will be the only spinner I could maybe stand for this team is Starmie or Forretress - pending on the needs here. The issue is really being able to fit them in, unfortunately. Stealth Rock can be very annoying, but usually it can be "managed" to an extent.

Also, yeah, I swapped to bulky EVs after Jellicent Shadow Ball kept breaking my Substitute (annoying as hell). I really think that Sub Gyarados should use an EV spread similar to it myself, but that's probably just you and me. Who knows?
Ok so two things:
Congratz on peak, dude.
Seismitoad is definitely the worst 'mon ever, but you've definitely made it work beautifully on this team.
Ok so I lied -- three things. LO Latias is definitely more similar Amelia / Nino than shitty Niime. Plz change her nick asap =(

Regarding the team itself, I can't see any immediate weaknesses. Rain Volc might be able to give you trouble if Tornadus, Gyarados, and Toed have been weakened a bit. You could (kinda) remedy this by using Rock Slide Seismitoad; however, playing around it shouldn't be too difficult. Other than that, this team is certainly a solid and legit one. So, reiterating what I said before: Congratz on the success.
Niime is pretty cool, actually. She's probably the closest to S Ranking Dark on a practical scale, and her base Mag makes her ridiculous with staves. Apocalypse helps this further by adding +5 Mag. In other words - Niime is really, REALLY good for efficient play.
1. Change Tornadus-Therian's name to Janaff. Janaff is badass enough to tell Tibarn to stfu and get away with it. Levin is just some spoony bard with terrible fashion sense.
2. I thought Scizor was Mia and you gave her approximately ten kilomias worth of favoritism.
1. Hey now, Levin gets all the ladies. Janaff telling Tibarn to shut up is awesome though.
2. It was a funny concept, but Mekkah brought up how Brighton is a little closer to Scizor than Mia (which is... kind of true).

Keep it up guys, and thanks for the rates! I might give Jirachi and Ferrothorn a twirl at least. Worth a shot, right?

Well if you are planning on using Wish Jirachi, that can heal Gyarados. Jirachi tends to lure Fire and Earthquake as well.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Well if you are planning on using Wish Jirachi, that can heal Gyarados. Jirachi tends to lure Fire and Earthquake as well.
That is true. The only issue with Jirachi is that it would emphasize my Calm Mind Jirachi weak, which kind of sucks as is...

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
Very solid team I should and I am quite impressed on how Seismitoad is effective on your team´s need. From my previous experience on using Rain, I would like to suggest using Surf on Politoed and Perish Song instead of Scald/Sleep Talk. Although Hydro Pump has more power, your team is really dependant from Rain and losing Politoed because of a Hydro Pump miss if the foe managed to kept his opposing weather starter, doesn´t sounds cool at all. Surf still 2HKOs bulky SD Scizor after SR and still obtains most of the OHKOs Hydro Pump would. Also, Perish Song will definitely help you in stopping an opposing DD Gyarados set-up and specially Smash Pass who could run through your team if they manage to keep the boosts.

About your Latios issue, you could run an spread of 40 Atk / 248 HP / 220 Sp.Def on Scizor. That way, Specs Draco Meteor can´t even 2HKO after SR and you get Latios screwed up with Pursuit or U-turn while it still OHKOs Terrakion with Bullet Punch after SR; also with this EV spread, Genesect will get instead an Attack boost and will be unable to OHKO Scizor with Flamethrower on Rain. Hope this rate helps and good luck :)

Ive been using seismitoad myself, and guys, hes really a good pokemon surprisingly. Not great, but good lol. Not nearly as bad as it seems.

With that being sAid, the only thing i would change is draco meteor to dragon pulse on latias. With draco, u would obviously be switching out alot, and with life orb recoil and stealth rock, its gonna hinder her bulk a little.

nice and unique team you have here. I fought it a few days ago on PO. Though it may have just been somebody else using the importable. My only real suggestion would be to run the sub, cm, recover, d pulse latias over what you have now. I feel like the coverage it has now really it isn't helping you as much as you may think. instead of going straight for the kill on the things you listed it helping you with, you can easily just continuously set up without a problem. I specifically remembering worrying about whether or not it was a sub variant. Furthermore, most steel types are handled by either gyarados, politoed, or seismitoad. the only one who isn't is ferro, which is handled by Scizor, and if they are already weakened by Nadus. Anyways, congrats on peak and good job :]

I love you Colonel_M, this is obviously a very solid team. Although I only occasionally venture into OU much, I can see Gyarados is greatly supported by this team :)

You have Seismitoad to stop Volt Switches and more importantly Rotom-W. I like that Gyarados set because it shows how annoying Gyarados can be with its bulk and power. That Latias set is awesome and it makes a great Gyarados partner.

I honestly think Scizor is a better fit than Genesect. Genesect does not even outrun +1 Salamence and Scarf Terrakion, both can be problematic to Gyarados. Scizor hits those threats hard with Bullet Punch but Genesect can't really switch in. Also, Scizor has Superpower to OHKO some Ferrothorn which is fun.

With Double U-turn users, Gyarados can always find opportunities to switch in and wreck havoc. Tornadus-T can easily annoy Latios with U-Turn + Hurricane :)

I gave Gyarados 136 Attack EVs as it gives Gyaraods a bonus point in Attack :) 160 HP is still pretty bulky. Jellicent Shadow Ball only does 20.5% - 24.3%, so your Substitute will still survive the hit.

Tyrants rule :) Gyarados is a close second though in terms of evilness.

hi, cool team.

From playing versus this team on an alt I definitely know it's solid, but there are a few threats that seem like they can damage you. First of all, SubToxic Tentacruel is a massive bitch to your team. It can poison Latias, Seismatoed, etc. If it's a speedier Tentacruel with enough EV's to outspeed Jolly Breloom then your Gyarados is fucked as well since it can't Sub, if it does get a Sub the opposing team probably has a Gyarados counter. Another problem is how you rely so much on Scizor to check opposing Dragons-- Scarf Mence really gives you grief once Scizor is weakened since it can just plough through your team. Most Dragons trouble you whether it be Haxorus, Dragonite, etc. since Scizor is being so heavily relied on. There's really no simple way to fix this. The only solution really is to go for a Ferrothorn > that ugly frog. An offensive tank varient of Ferrothorn with Bulldoze gives your team another steel-type, the ability to check what that your frog is checking but it does it better, and well Ferrothorn is just better. It gives you a secondary check versus Dragons which currently trouble you and it also gives you a secondary check versus Gyarados since it's a problematic Mon atm as well. Ferrothorn still covers things like Raikou, Starmie, Metagross, etc. but it does it better, to be quite honest. Ferrothorn also gives you a desperate last-minute check versus SubToxic Tentacruel if lady luck is on your side and you don't get burned. 192 Attack EV's allow you to OHKO Jirachi's Subsitutes, and it also gives Power Whip and Gyro Ball a lot of fucking power. Also, one last change is to solidify your stance on using Perish Song on Politoed. Without Perish Song SubRoost Dragonite gives you a really rough time, and it also helps versus Baton Pass chains without Speed Boosts already or Mr. Mime. Here's the set for Ferrothorn:

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 SDef | IV's: 0 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Bulldoze
- Power Whip

gl hf.

There's really no simple way to fix this. The only solution really is to go for a Ferrothorn > that ugly frog.
This would be such a fantastic suggestion - but I think the team really appreciates that rain support :(((((

But no seriously I would second this, and Bri's suggested spread is very fitting. You have a pretty solid rain offense team, so all I can really do is nitpick EVs!

I realise there is an argument for running max speed timid LO Latias in this metagame (namely Keldeo and Thundurus-T), so I won't suggest the standard Modest tank set. Short of that though, I'd recommend a minimum SpA investment of 64 EVs.

This small investment allows you to guarantee the OHKO on the aforementioned Therian after one round of LO recoil - in other words, it'll never get the chance to 2HKO you after Agility. It also gets the OHKO on 0/4 Terrakion if rain is up, and ensures that Leftovers-less +1 Keldeo is always 2HKOd, even if it boosts again after the first hit. And it takes your HP to a nice LO number so that recoil rounds down.

Also, Scarf Politoed loves Encore, and it puts a more immediate stop to setup sweepers than Perish Song would. Have you considered it at all?

Congrats on your achievements so far, and good luck!

Stone RG

Megas are broke
I must say i really like the team, considering using original pokes and having success with them is quite hard these days. However when i saw it, i knew 2 big threats to your team: Sub DD Gyara, and much more importantly Scarf Moxie Mence.

Now, this two pokemon are fairly easy to deal with by Ferothorn, i see in Tornadus the best one to be replaced, since it doesn't really help you with the Electric weakness, and you have Latias to deal with TechniLoom, talking about Latias i would suggest you to change its spread to 152 HP/176 SpA/180 Spd, as well as a Modest Nature, why? because Life Orb on a defensive pokemon isnt the smartest thing to do, and it helps in the damage output.

Hope I helped (you already know Ferrothorn's set lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)