Syclar - Part 1 - Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to its typing, who says it has to be mono-Bug or mono-Ice? Using Surskit and Masquerain as an example, the unevolved pokemon does not necessarily need to have the same dual typing as the evolved pokemon. Scyther/Scizor is another example of them not sharing the same dual types (although, admittedly, that family has a good reason). Nincada and Ninjask/Shedinja.

I am not suggesting that Syclar and Syclant should have different typings. Rather, I am suggesting we should not rule it out.
Well, if they DO have different typings, Syclar would be mono-Bug. MAYBE you could fit ground in there, depending on flavor, but Bug/Ice or just Bug makes the most sense IMO.

Actually, Yanma is the only mon with 125 BST less than its evo in terms of bugs. I said the rest ranged between 150 and 200. Also, Syclants BST is 555, not 575. X Act's stats are exactly half (or near as damnit) those of Syclants.
I put a wrong number into my calculator when I was doing my totals. Since Syclant's BST is actually 555, then the difference in BSTs is 278, which is still 78 point's higher than than your highest number. After looking over the dual-stage Bug-types the BST difference averages out to about 165... again. That makes finding the average of the averages rather easy. 165 BST less than 555 is 390. That falls in my 375-400, so I stand by my numbers. Also the highest BST difference was Combee to Vespiquen, at 250, so I still say that X-Act's stats are to low.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well guys, we don't need to base everything off of individual examples, nor do we have to base everything off of bug and ice types. Using stats for an example, Syclant has a BST of 555, the same as the existing Pokemon Arcanine. Growlithe, its prevo, has a BST of 350. That is a difference of 205, which is very much a bigger drop than a lot of people were suggesting. I honestly see no problem with a Pokemon of such low, or even lower stats. Its about flavor after all. We should do whatever feels right.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well guys, we don't need to base everything off of individual examples, nor do we have to base everything off of bug and ice types. Using stats for an example, Syclant has a BST of 555, the same as the existing Pokemon Arcanine. Growlithe, its prevo, has a BST of 350. That is a difference of 205, which is very much a bigger drop than a lot of people were suggesting. I honestly see no problem with a Pokemon of such low, or even lower stats. Its about flavor after all. We should do whatever feels right.
Would also like to mention, this is not being done in the same mindset as real CAPs - there is no need to make these playable at all. These are not being tailor made to fit into the LC metagame (not that it isn't a possibility), so we can make them either little piles of junk nobody would ever play in-game, or we can make them the equivalents of Scyther and Murkrow.

Worrying about actual numbers at this point is irrelevant.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, now that I think about it more, Arcanine/Growlithe is actually a great evolutionary line to compare to, especially if we do choose to follow the Joltik/Galvantula style. Not only is the BST of the evolutions equivalent, but Arcanine, very much like Galvantula is really just a bigger badder version of its prevo. It gets a few new tools (mainly extremespeed) to work with, but for the most part is just a larger stronger dog. If we do choose to go this kind of route, I think it would be good to keep Growlithe in mind for comparison.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
There is a lot of good comparisons in this thread to other, currently existing Pokemon. There are a few that stood out; please become familiar with them, as I will be referencing them throughout the officializing of Syclar. Special ones to take note are as follows:

Joltik / Galvantula
Growlithe / Arcanine
Karrablast / Escavalier (Shelment / Accelgor)
Anorith / Armaldo​

These all have some sort of embodiment that I think would suit the relationship between Syclar / Syclant. Please note that they are all pretty unique and present different groups of thought. I don't want to say "SYCLAR MUST EMBODY x" this early on in the game. However, we do need to start thinking about which way we want to head with this. Growlithe's line would be pretty straightforward, while Karrablast's would be wildly different, for example. As a participator, think of what kind of flavor you'd like Syclar to embody (is it tough from enduring mountains? is it weak as a young bug? does it exhibit strength in its limbs and mandibles?). We need to keep this consistent throughout typing, ability, movepool, and stats, so start thinking about this right away.

Thanks for your participation; expect the next thread up shortly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)