The Sound of Madness

To celebrate 100 posts, I figured it would be great for me to post an RMT. This team was created the day (or day after) Genesect was officially released to the Pokemon public. Prior to my making of this team, I always had the mindset, "Sun is absolutely terrible." Which, it was. In BW1, using a Drought team was, in my opinion, a bad option to consider for a team. The teams would need a tremendous amount of support. (They still do). I created this after august texted me while theorymonning at work. (http://oi47.tinypic.com/10op5hl.jpg). As the screenshot shows, I do not take credit for Genesect on my Drought team. I'm still surprised Genesect sun got big as it did. It made sun a lot easier to use. Anyways, I've been using this team a bit the past month or so and it's really been my "go to" team.
Let's begin:

Ninetales -- Cry for Help
Drought | Timid | Leftovers
176 HP | 56 Def | 196 SDef | 80 Speed
Will-O-Wisp | Flamethrower | Hidden Power [Ground] | Protect

Oh man, quite possibly, THE most useless Pokemon in all of the overused tier. If its ability wasn't so damn important, I'd use it as death fodder. Oh wait, if it didn't have the ability, I would use it. Anyways, this fox is absolutely terrible. I could talk about how bad this thing is for hours. However, that is not the point. Anyways, this is Ninetales. Not much to say about the set. You're mostly Will-o-wisp'ing on switches to Tyranitar / Politoed and using Protect to scout. Flamethrower is your STAB move that doesn't miss. HP Ground is "insurance" if I don't kill Heatran with Dugtrio. The EVs allow Ninetales to reach 281 speed to outspeed Lucario (not like you're gonna take an Extremespeed very well), The 56 Defense EVs allow Ninetales to reach 200 Defense, which really don't matter since Ninetales isn't taking physical hits anyways. And the rest go into HP and Sp. Def. In case you haven't noticed, Ninetales is terrible.

Dugtrio -- Junkies for Fame
Arena Trap | Jolly | Focus Sash
252 Atk | 252 Speed | 4 Def | 21 HP IV
Earthquake | Reversal | Stealth Rock | Stone Edge

When it comes to winning weather wars, most people turn to these moles. And that's what I did. I love these guys. I use 'em on all kinds of teams in Gens III - V. Here, I'm running the standard trapper set. Nothing different here. Focus Sash to take a hit and revenge. Jolly nature to outspeed all Tyranitar. Obviously max Atk and max Speed. Earthquake to hit Heatran + Tyranitar. Stealth Rock, the most important move in the game. Reversal to hit Tyranitar (and Politoed) hard when at 1 HP. Stone Edge to hit Volcarona, Dragonite, etc. Not much to say, it's just the standard Duggy.

Venusaur -- Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide
Chlorophyll | Modest | Black Sludge
252 Sp Atk | 252 Speed | 4 Def
Sleep Powder | Sunny Day | SolarBeam | Hidden Power [Fire]

Another one of those Pokemon that got a nice little toy with Gen V. When the sun is up, this plant monster thing outspeeds over 90% of the Overused tier (including Choice Scarf users). Modest nature with 252 Sp Atk and Speed. No need to speed creep. Black Sludge so I can stay alive longer and take more hits over time. Sleep Powder for status, which is always nice. Sunny Day helps me gain momentum if my opponent thinks they can get their weather abuser in for free on Venusaur. This has saved me so many times. SolarBeam is a nice STAB move to hit when the sun is up, does a lot more than Giga Drain / Energy Ball. Hidden Power Fire to toast steels with a nice sun boost. A very good threat to any opponent.

Heatran -- Sin with a Grin
Flash Fire | Timid | Air Balloon
252 Sp Atk | 252 Speed | 4 Sp Def
Magma Storm | Sunny Day | SolarBeam | Hidden Power [Ice]

Ah, the infamous "TobesTran." Since seeing it used in World Cup of Pokemon, I was fascinated by it and decided to give it a shot. And what a shot it was. This thing is amazing. It allows me to take down any weather abuser that Dugtrio cannot. How great is that? Anyways, max Speed and Sp Atk for maximum power. Air Balloon so I can be immune to any Ground hits. In the sun, Magma Storm will do a devastating amount to anything that switches in. Plus, it traps things like Tyranitar or Politoed which helps me win the weather war. Sunny Day to hinder non-Choice Scarf Politoed from damaging me while I demolish it with SolarBeam. Hidden Power Ice to hit Dragons, really. I had to choose between Earth Power and HP Ice. Earth Power could hit an opposing Heatran, which would absolutely wall this set. HP Ice seemed like the better choice as with a Balloon, Heatran can take down Salamence and the rare Earthquaking Dragonite.

Hitmontop -- Devour
Intimidate | Impish | Leftovers
240 HP | 192 Def | 76 Sp Def
Rapid Spin | Close Combat | Mach Punch | Stone Edge

As my Rapid Spinner, I decided to use Hitmontop. Prior to Hitmontop, I used Starmie. Although Starmie worked as a decent rain check, my team was absolutely walled by the blobs. So I knew it had to go. The EV spread and Nature are to help Hitmontop take as many hits as possible. Intimidate also helps that happen. Rapid Spin is an absolute necessity for any team, in my opinion, especially for a sun team. Close Combat serves a hard hitting STAB move. Mach Punch hits for some nice priority damage and helps finish off low HP pokes. Stone Edge serves as a coverage move, hitting Flyers, Fire types, and Bug types. As I said, this guy was put on this team for one reason. To hit Blissey / Chansey with a nice STAB Close Combat because without it, Blissey / Chansey walls this team.

Genesect -- Sound of Madness
Download | Naive | Choice Scarf
92 Atk | 252 Sp Atk | 164 Speed
U-Turn | Thunderbolt | Flamethrower | Ice Beam

The star of the show. Another gem out of BW2, amongst the Therians, Keldeo, Meloetta, etc. Genesect serves as a nice revenge killer with its ability. When used correctly, Download could be quite the useful tool. Max Special Attack for maximum special damage, obviously. With Naive nature and 164 speed, Genesect reaches 302 speed. You may ask, "Funk, why not run max speed?" Good question. I found that with max speed, the only thing(s) you outspeed are opposing Genesect, with a tie, and random timid Choice Scarf Hydreigon. I don't need to outspeed opposing Genesect, so I don't try to. So I put the rest of the EVs in Atk to power up U-Turns. As for the moves, it is simple. U-Turn, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam. With these, I can revenge kill many things in the OU metagame. Since Genesect causing a lot of switches, U-Turn is great for gaining offensive momentum, which is always nice for a sun team. The other moves provide excellent coverage.

Atticus - You're shit, and I'm not Lamppost. I love you. <3
august - You've been such a bro. So glad we got to team together in wcop. So much fun. If there's another next year, I hope to team with you again. Always fun to watch you ladder on PO/PS. Thanks for the team idea, I love you. <3
BKC - I don't think I'd be where I am right now, if it wasn't for you. Haha, your tutoring actually did something! Although, you are like 120871281 miles away in Czech Land, you are a good friend and a powerful battler. Glad to have had you as my tutor. <3
Bowl Cut - I'm not sorry for the Rapid Spin crit, I love you. <3
bro fist - A good friend. Your avatar is ass. Latias. I love you. <3
CTI - We will make you talk on Skype, one day! I love you. <3
Dot - Hello Dotteh :). I love you. <3
Faint - The love of my life. I love you with all my heart. <3 OOH YOU MAKE ME LIVE~
Fiction - You noobarino. Conversations with you are amazing. I love you. <3
JabbaTheGriffin - Thanks for the opportunity in wcop, hope I didn't carry the team, too much. lol jk. I love you. <3
Jaxx - You genius. I love you. <3
kd24 - It was his hat Mr. Krabs, He was number one! Your endless array of hax is unbeatable, too much for anyone to handle. I love you. <3
L - Kill me, I'm right here. I love you. <3
Lamppost - Contrary to what atticus says, I don't sound like you. Thank you for crushing my Smogon Tour dreams by defeating me in the first Smogon Tour of week 1 of Season 14 in my "favorite tier." I love you. <3
Locopoke - Probably wouldn't know half the people on this list if it wasn't for you! You discovered me because of your keen eye for talent. Except, I was flash in the pan and now I'm all washed up http://pastebin.com/FKiUTQJ2 I love you. <3
Rudy - Wea da golf @. I love you. <3
Stone_Cold22 - Motherfuckin' Stone. Quite possibly the best of all time. It was fun "helping" East make it to finals. And one day......one day. I love you. <3
TML - My practice noob. jk. I've seen you improve since I first met you. I assume you've noticed it too. You just need to win the big one. I love you. <3
The rest of US Metro + US East - So many fun times, had a blast playing with you guys. I love you. <3
If I missed anyone/you, let me know.​

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 176 HP / 56 Def / 196 SDef / 80 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 92 Atk / 252 SAtk / 164 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal
- Stealth Rock

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 192 Def / 76 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Magma Storm
- SolarBeam
- Sunny Day
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This team is good it put me in R2 of a tour for OU and we know that never happens. Too bad you guys didn't play for me in R2. :/

[youtube]c2JSUXaY-tw[/youtube]

Hey Funkasaurus excellent sun team you have here!

I couldn't really find anything wrong with this team so i am just taking some minor nitpicks here but have you considered Hasty>Jolly on Dugtrio? This helps knock him down to his Sash easier because Hasty lowens defense and increases speed as apposed to Jolly which increases speed and lowens sp attack. Again this is a very minor nitpick also just take the 4 evs out of defense :)

awesome team luvdisc'd

Tl;dr

Hasty (0 Def Evs)--->Jolly (4 Def Evs)

~Superpowerdude

Hey man, really nice team and obviously one of the best bands out there.
One little nitpick: try using another item on your Heatran. With all the Genesects and Xatus and other U-Turns users it's really hard for Heatran to keep its baloon intact. An option would be Shed Shell to have an easier time winning against those U-Turn plus Dugtrio teams which are very common these days.

seems weak to chansey, as hitmontop is easily walled and dugtrio isnt too hard to despatch of with toxic

not really a rate, more of a suggestion,but i think landorus-t with stealth rock (and some bulk for terrakions) could replace maybe dugtrio, and venusaur could run a mixed set with eq like this:

DevinTheDude (Venusaur) @ Life Orb
EVs: 152 Atk / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- Sleep Powder
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
(evs ko 252 hp heatran i think)

this removes the reliance on dugtrio which makes you much more matchup prone and i personally really really really hate being so reliant on dugtrio, and the extra eq's mean heatran isnt getting much room to manouvre, you could also run earthpower on heatran to further pressure opposing heatran as venusaur now revenges dragons with hp ice. This leaves you weaker to hp ground volcarona and pink blobs but i personally find relying on hazards being off the field and an 80% accuracy stone edge isnt a particularly solid fallback and chansey with toxic doesnt care about dugtrio anyway.

0 Atk Hitmontop Close Combat vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Chansey (+Def) : 46.45% - 54.97% (2-3 hits to KO)

Chansey can't come in on Hitmontop, but yeah, Chansey can eventually stall it out off PPs.

Does Hitmontop learn Taunt? If it does, maybe you can replace it instead of Mach Punch or Stone Edge, to help you with that semin-weakness to Chansey.

You should drop SolarBeam for Giga Drain, that gives you a way to not lose a turn setting up the sun when you are againts Politoed and gain a great amount of health.

EDIT; Yeah ok It doesn't get taunt.

Hey Funkasaurus excellent sun team you have here!

I couldn't really find anything wrong with this team so i am just taking some minor nitpicks here but have you considered Hasty>Jolly on Dugtrio? This helps knock him down to his Sash easier because Hasty lowens defense and increases speed as apposed to Jolly which increases speed and lowens sp attack. Again this is a very minor nitpick also just take the 4 evs out of defense :)

awesome team luvdisc'd

Tl;dr

Hasty (0 Def Evs)--->Jolly (4 Def Evs)

~Superpowerdude
Hello user Superpowerdude, I'll give the Nature + IVs a shot. Thanks for the rate.

Hey man, really nice team and obviously one of the best bands out there.
One little nitpick: try using another item on your Heatran. With all the Genesects and Xatus and other U-Turns users it's really hard for Heatran to keep its baloon intact. An option would be Shed Shell to have an easier time winning against those U-Turn plus Dugtrio teams which are very common these days.
Hello user Lohgock. Shed Shell seems like a nice choice to prevent U-turners + Dugtrio from taking Heatran from me. I'll definitely consider this suggestion. Thanks for the rate and yes, Shinedown are one of the best.

seems weak to chansey, as hitmontop is easily walled and dugtrio isnt too hard to despatch of with toxic

not really a rate, more of a suggestion,but i think landorus-t with stealth rock (and some bulk for terrakions) could replace maybe dugtrio, and venusaur could run a mixed set with eq like this:

DevinTheDude (Venusaur) @ Life Orb
EVs: 152 Atk / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- Sleep Powder
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
(evs ko 252 hp heatran i think)

this removes the reliance on dugtrio which makes you much more matchup prone and i personally really really really hate being so reliant on dugtrio, and the extra eq's mean heatran isnt getting much room to manouvre, you could also run earthpower on heatran to further pressure opposing heatran as venusaur now revenges dragons with hp ice. This leaves you weaker to hp ground volcarona and pink blobs but i personally find relying on hazards being off the field and an 80% accuracy stone edge isnt a particularly solid fallback and chansey with toxic doesnt care about dugtrio anyway.
Hello user Razza. Thanks for the rate. I'll try out your changes.

0 Atk Hitmontop Close Combat vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Chansey (+Def) : 46.45% - 54.97% (2-3 hits to KO)

Chansey can't come in on Hitmontop, but yeah, Chansey can eventually stall it out off PPs.

Does Hitmontop learn Taunt? If it does, maybe you can replace it instead of Mach Punch or Stone Edge, to help you with that semin-weakness to Chansey.

You should drop SolarBeam for Giga Drain, that gives you a way to not lose a turn setting up the sun when you are againts Politoed and gain a great amount of health.

EDIT; Yeah ok It doesn't get taunt.
Hello user Zentrius. Look at the calculation you post, I'm considering testing more attack investment for Hitmontop, or making it full offensive. I'll test Giga Drain > SolarBeam and see where it goes. Thanks for the rate.

Hi Funk. :]

The BKC EV disease has infested you... :[

This is a really cool sun team, and I like the concept of it, however there are a few things I think you should change to make this team better! First of all, I see a very major weakness to the pink blobs. As shown above Hitmontop doesn't have that great of a chance of 2HKO'ing Chansey, and it can just go to work on your team with your best bet being Dugtrio, but even then it still isn't close to OHKO'ing it. A way to fix this issue is to change your Sunny Day Venusaur into a Growth Venusaur. Growth Venusaur can beat the Pink Blobs 1v1 if they lack the rare Thunder Wave and Flamethrower, and this gives you a formidable stallbreaker once you win the weather war, which you currently lack. Between Dugtrio and TobesTran I highly doubt you need Venusaur's Weather War help as well, and a Growth Varient would help out your team a lot more. Another weakness I have spotted is Sheer Force Landorus. With Earth Power alone it just goes to town on this team, and your only help is to put it to sleep with Venusaur, or revenge kill it with Genesect, both of which fail after a Rock Polish. A way to somewhat remedy this is to use an Air Balloon Ninetales with Hidden Power Ice. With this change you have a way to switch into Landorus if you haven't yet revealed your Balloon, and you can OHKO it. Since I am changing your Venusaur set, I recommend trying out a Sunny Day Ninetales to maintain momentum versus opposing weather switch-ins. Hidden Power Ice on Ninetales also prevents your Ninetales from being set-up bait versus opposing Dragonites, which is an added bonus as well. One last weakness I see is a weakness to the playstyle of Deoxys-D + a Ghost-Type, as Hitmontop currently cannot spin. A simple way to fix this would be to put on Foresight instead of Mach Punch, which seems mainly filler and Mach Punch isn't going to be hitting much hard anyways due to having no attack investment. Here are the sets:

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Ninetales (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd | 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Good luck, nice team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)