The Next Best Thing - Sawk [Voting]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen this one on the analysis page or in this thread yet, so I'll stick it here.

Charizard @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Substitute
- Roost

The EVs are pretty simple: hit hard and hit quickly. Timid nature lets you outrun Adamant Carracosta after a shell smash, but that's not really relevant unless you already have a sub up and Costa is weakened enough to die from Air Slash. (33-40%, more if they've got a SDef drop.) In addition, it outruns everything with a base speed of 95 (Haunter, Jynx, Primeape, Sawsbuck, etc) without a scarf.

Fire Blast and Air Slash are pretty good for neutral coverage, resisted only by rock types. Substitute is good for an ablative shield, usually put up on a switch. Roost, though hard to get time to use, is an excellent way to extend Charizard's lifespan. If he's behind a sub and can OHKO the enemy anyway, you can Roost before killing them.

The idea is to set up a substitute as the enemy switches to a counter. Let's say they have a Scarf Primeape. Stone Edge will always KO Charizard. But if you put up a substitute on the switch, Primeape eats an Air Slash and dies after only breaking a sub. Well, unless it switches back out, but then you have another turn or two of free damage. This set doesn't boast the raw power of a boosting or Sunny Day set, but it can deal some pretty hefty damage regardless.

I think this set was suggested by someone on the IRC, but I can't remember who. Whoever that was, feel free to claim the set as your own.

Charizard @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- ThunderPunch
- Tailwind

I made this set just a few hours ago, when I saw Zard was the Next Best Thing.

This set is a set that uses Tailwind, just like Punchshroom's. If timed correctly, you can use it, to go on a rampage later on. Using Zard's pretty high speed stat, your opponent won't be able to bypass on your Charizard anymore. Even with no speed investment, if you get your tailwind up, you will have the advantage. It's pretty self-explanatory.

The reason why I went with acrobatics, is because it will be a surprise to see that move in battle. It will hurt alot since it's stabbed, and if you use the move as a last resort, the salac berry will be gone at that moment hopefully, making it hurt alot more. The reason why I went for Acrobatics instead of Airslash, is the element of surprise. Airslash will do reasonable damage, yes, but a STAB'd Acrobatics without an item will do even more damage, making it pretty good in certain situations. This is also the reason why I went with attack investment, together with Thunderpunch and Flare Blitz.

In my honest opinion, Flare Blitz is the best option for a fire move if you're using a attack investment on your Zard. It will hurt alot, although it has some recoil. It can be replaced with another move, but the point of this set is to do alot of damage, and fast. So it's a Pokémon to switch in, and probably not switch out. The reason why I chose Thunderpunch is because it will get rid of the watertypes.

The choice to pick a Salac berry is purely mine. It will raise your speed stat when you reach low health, this way you'll be able to deal a last hard blow with Acrobatics. You could switch it out for something else if you want to.

I'm kind of new to making sets, so if this set is horrible, you can always give me feedback. ~

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't seen this one on the analysis page or in this thread yet, so I'll stick it here.

Charizard @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Substitute
- Roost

The EVs are pretty simple: hit hard and hit quickly. Timid nature lets you outrun Adamant Carracosta after a shell smash, but that's not really relevant unless you already have a sub up and Costa is weakened enough to die from Air Slash. (33-40%, more if they've got a SDef drop.) In addition, it outruns everything with a base speed of 95 (Haunter, Jynx, Primeape, Sawsbuck, etc) without a scarf.

Fire Blast and Air Slash are pretty good for neutral coverage, resisted only by rock types. Substitute is good for an ablative shield, usually put up on a switch. Roost, though hard to get time to use, is an excellent way to extend Charizard's lifespan. If he's behind a sub and can OHKO the enemy anyway, you can Roost before killing them.

The idea is to set up a substitute as the enemy switches to a counter. Let's say they have a Scarf Primeape. Stone Edge will always KO Charizard. But if you put up a substitute on the switch, Primeape eats an Air Slash and dies after only breaking a sub. Well, unless it switches back out, but then you have another turn or two of free damage. This set doesn't boast the raw power of a boosting or Sunny Day set, but it can deal some pretty hefty damage regardless.

I think this set was suggested by someone on the IRC, but I can't remember who. Whoever that was, feel free to claim the set as your own.
Yeah, that set is onsite. That's why I didn't post it. :P
But yeah it's a very good set.

Whoops-a-daisy, that was silly of me. I completely blanked on the 'offensive' set right in the middle of the page. I'll rewrite that post later.

well i havent used this set in a while but this is the best set ive used:

Charizard @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- SolarBeam
- Sunny Day

i will admit this set has some major flaws:
-rock blast
-priority
-faster mons
-sturdy users

but if you get a chance to use this set effectively it can do some serious work. if you use a spinner you could use it as a mid/late game poke but what i found to be more effective was leading with it and getting sun up first turn then sweeping a little. the only poke you probably wouldnt want to be lead off against is golem because it is a huge threat to zard. it has everything on zards threat list except out speeding it. if you switch in on a double down with no rocks up that is also a great time for a potential sweep. i suggest flamethrower over fire blast because in the sun it will still do a ton and if you are in blaze range & sun that is serious power not worth missing. he has great coverage with dual stab and solar beam. two notable walls are altaria and flareon. maybe grumpig though i have never faced that myself with charizard.

if you want a cool lead set to surprise or you carry a spinner and you want an extremely hard hitter this is where its at :D

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay I decided to start the 2 day thing from next time, so keep in mind that it'll be two day posting and two day voting with the next Pokemon! With that in mind, you now have two days to vote. Also TheQuasar requested that nobody vote for his post as it's just an idea rather than a set. Since Infernis didn't fix his set he's also not included either.

Anyway...

1. JoshuaMunoz
  2. Punchshroom
  3. Sweet Jesus
  4. LeafShield
  5. Dzi
  6. FLCL
  7. Audiosurfer
  8. LivingRhino
  9. NeverUserTier

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Since it seems unfair to vote for my own set :P, I'll pick FLCL, because surprise Solarbeam (bitches!) breaks defensive cores :)

This time around the decision is way tougher (at least for me), in the beginning I like, I mean I really liked, punchshroom set. But then NUT posted him's.

I really liked the first-turn surprise factor, on a VoltTurn team he can work perfectly. You keep momentum while putting offensive pressure to the opponent, is really nice!

(and since U-turners are becoming popular, this set have a lot of time to shine)

So my vote go for NeverUsedTier

Where is my set? I know, you've trashed :)

My vote is for LivingRhino. Because Thunderpunch is just what the opponent is not expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)