Wailord (Update)

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Wailord

|Status: Done|
|QC Approved: [badass][bluewind]|
|GP Checks: [Flora][Zystral|

So I was browsing through the NU section of the Strategy Pokedex, and I cam across Wailord's analysis. It seemed to be ancient, so I though it would need a revamp. I talked with a couple of the UU quality control members and we agreed that choice scarf and choice specs were the only sets worth keeping, so I decided to write up the update for Wailord.

Changes I Have Made:

• Removed the following sets
    • Sleep Talk
    • Curse
    • Curse + Sleep Talk
    • Choice Band
  • Revamped whole analysis to the new format
■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■​

[Overview]

<p>Wailord is one of the most underrated threats in the UU metagame. At a glance, it seems to have lackluster base defenses, even with its enormous base 170 HP, and only passable base offenses, which are further hindered by Wailord’s low base Speed stat of 60. However, if you take a closer look, it becomes clear that Wailord does actually have a niche in the UU metagame; its access to Water Spout, a powerful 150 Base Power move that is dependent on the user’s HP at the time of use, allows Wailord to act as a destructive special attacker. By simply spamming Water Spout, Wailord can become a dangerous offensive threat to any team not prepared for it.</p>

[SET]
Name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Water Spout
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Ice Beam / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Selfdestruct
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Water Veil
nature: Naive
evs: 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As one of Wailord's biggest setbacks is its mediocre base Speed stat, running a Choice Scarf set in order to remedy the aforementioned problem is a logical choice, allowing Wailord to act as a great revenge killer or even a late-game sweeper. Water Spout is Wailord's strongest attack that can dent any Pokemon bar Chansey, specially defensive Water- and Grass-types, and Pokemon immune to Water-type attacks. Hydro Pump is used as a secondary form of STAB since, if Wailord is low on HP, Water Spout's Base Power will decrease. Surf can be utilized over Hydro Pump if you value accuracy over power. The third moveslot depends on what foes you want Wailord to specifically revenge kill; Ice Beam hits Flying- and Grass-types, like Altaria and Venusaur, while Hidden Power Grass takes care of bulky Water-types, like Lanturn and Milotic. Finally, Selfdestruct allows Wailord to go out with a bang after it has served its purpose on its team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Naive nature is recommended over a Timid nature as it boosts Wailord's Speed without decreasing Selfdestruct's power. 228 Speed EVs allow Wailord to outpace Pokemon with up to base 110 Speed stat. Special Attack is maximized to peak the power of Wailord's special attacking moves, and the rest of the EVs are put into Attack in order to slightly power up Selfdestruct. If you wish, you can use Hidden Power Grass or Ice Beam over Selfdestruct for greater coverage. If you decide to go with this, then use a Timid nature with the extra EVs put into a different stat, preferably HP as it will make Wailord slightly more bulky.</p>

<p>This set appreciates Pokemon that can remove special walls, such as Clefable, Chansey, and Milotic, with ease. Although Selfdestruct is available to dent the walls, it is not a reliable tool, especially when Wailord has a Choice Scarf. Thus, Fighting-types, most notably Toxicroak, are great partners to Wailord as they can eliminate most of the special walls with their powerful physical attacks. Toxicroak is immune to Toxic, has Dry Skin to absorb Milotic's Surf, and Swords Dance to smash through the opposition. Hitmonlee can also be considered due to its immunity to Thunder Wave and high Special Defense.</p>

[SET]
Name: Choice Specs
move 2: Hidden Power Grass
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Surf / Selfdestruct
item: Choice Specs
nature: Quiet
evs: 128 Def / 252 SpA / 128 SpD
ivs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 3 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the use of Choice Specs, Wailord's special attacks will become insanely powerful. Water Spout can 2HKO even the most defensive of Pokemon, such as Clefable, as well as inflict large amounts of damage to other considerably bulky Pokemon. Hidden Power Grass allows Wailord to dent Water-types such as Milotic, Blastoise, and Lanturn, which would otherwise wall Wailord. Ice Beam further complements Wailord's moves by blasting through Grass-types like Venusaur and Leafeon. The last move comes down to personal preference; Surf (or Hydro Pump) can be used as an alternative to Water Spout if Wailord gets low on health, although Selfdestruct allows Wailord to potentially take down a foe with it after it has peaked its usefulness in a battle.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs maximize Wailord's offensive prowess while simultaneously making it significantly bulky in order to lengthen a potential sweep. Also, note that if you opt for Selfdestruct on the set, moving a couple of EVs from either defenses to Attack would be a good choice. For instance, 108 Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on Chansey. Due to Wailord's low Speed, it's highly recommended that you utilize Trick Room support, as without it, Wailord will fall before it can even attempt a sweep. Good Trick Room partners to consider include Claydol and Exeggutor, as both can use Explosion to bring in Wailord with ease. However, if you want to use Wailord outside of Trick Room support, you can run a faster EV spread with a Timid or Naive nature, although this approach is not recommended due to the fact that without it, Wailord will become more susceptible to faster attacks than it already is.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Since all forms of entry hazards will slowly diminish Wailord's most powerful attack, you will find it very useful to include a Rapid Spinner on your team. Donphan is a great choice as not only can it provide Rapid Spin support, but it also shares great type synergy with Wailord. As much as Wailord hates entry hazards set up by the opponent, it loves entry hazards set up by your teammates, since oftentimes the residual damage collected allows Wailord to more efficiently do its job. Although rarely seen, Defensive Spikes Cacturne is one of the best Spikers to use alongside Wailord due to its resistances to Electric- and Grass-type attacks. Alternatively, you can opt for Nidoqueen to set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. Also, Wish support can help preserve Wailord's health throughout a battle, which is important to keep Water Spout's Base Power as high as possible. Lastly, any Pokemon that can deal with the ever-so-troublesome Water- and Grass-types make great offensive partners to Wailord; Sceptile and Registeel are both prime examples of such Pokemon, which share great offensive synergy with Wailord.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Aside from the sets given, there aren't many other options that Wailord can effectively run, as it lacks a proper base stat distribution to run any other types of offensive or defensive roles on a team. RestTalk sets can be utilized to an extent, but as Wailord's base defenses are quite mediocre, the viability of this set is questionable. Likewise, a Curse set can be used, but it would be quite ineffective due to Wailord's poor Special Defense. Due to Wailord's 90 base Attack and access to a great physical movepool consisting of Waterfall, Earthquake, Double-Edge, Avalanche, and Selfdestruct, a physical moveset with Choice Band or Life Orb can be an option to surprise your foes. However, the damage output will be overall lower than the standard special sets. Lastly, a special Life Orb set can be utilized with Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Grass, and Selfdestruct, as well as a Naive nature. This set has the niche advantage of switching between attacks while applying pressure on your opponent, but it lacks the Speed and ability to properly use Water Spout.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Anything that can outpace Wailord and has a decent amount of offensive prowess can generally beat Wailord as long as they switch into the right attack. Examples of such Pokemon include Sceptile, Scyther, and even Blaziken. Bulky Water-types like Milotic and Lanturn have a field day when facing Choiced Wailord, as they resist half of Wailord's moveset and can wear down the whale with their own attacks. Ludicolo also spells trouble for Wailord due to its 4x resistance to Water, neutrality to Ice Beam and Hidden Power, and ability to OHKO Wailord with Energy Ball. Likewise, bulky Grass-types like Venusaur and Leafeon are great checks to Wailord due to their key resistances and immense bulk, although the aforementioned Grass-types must beware of repeated Ice Beams from Wailord. Toxicroak deserves a special mention thanks to its ability to absorb Water-type attacks, resistance to Hidden Power Grass, and access to boosting moves that can take advantage of Wailord's switch-out. Lastly, if Wailord is at low health, a large array of Pokemon can easily set up on it once Water Spout's power has been significantly reduced.</p>

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Approved. Just mention wish passers as teammates because they help with the spoutin'; and change HP Electric for Grass.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nothing about a bulky set?? Even with its seemingly crappy defenses, base 170 HP makes Wailord bulkier than he appears (A bit like Wobbuffet). I think the RestTalk set could stay, except change the last two options to Surf and Roar, making Wailord a decent phazer.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Sorry shrang, I'm going to say no to the RestTalk set myself. Even at 252/252 SpD, Wailord is taking 40.1% - 47.8% from the standard special wall Lanturn's Thunderbolt, which is a solid 3HKO, and in the meantime, Wailord does crap with Surf/Ice Beam, (there's Earthquake if using Waterfall, but whatever.)

It's simply not bulky enough, even with that massive HP stat. 45 base Defenses can only take you so far.

And, if you really, really feel that Wailord needs a RestTalk set, I'd post a separate thread seeing as how the OP has already been approved twice for what it's got.

Also, I changed the tag Aerrow.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry shrang, I'm going to say no to the RestTalk set myself. Even at 252/252 SpD, Wailord is taking 40.1% - 47.8% from the standard special wall Lanturn's Thunderbolt, which is a solid 3HKO, and in the meantime, Wailord does crap with Surf/Ice Beam, (there's Earthquake if using Waterfall, but whatever.)

It's simply not bulky enough, even with that massive HP stat. 45 base Defenses can only take you so far.

And, if you really, really feel that Wailord needs a RestTalk set, I'd post a separate thread seeing as how the OP has already been approved twice for what it's got.

Also, I changed the tag Aerrow.
Yeah I might post another thread when I feel like testing it, but *sigh*, you're saying bulky Wailord is useless because it can't tank a super effective STAB attack??

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Kind of. OK bad example, but you have to admit that's a lot of damage for having full investment and taking a Thunderbolt from a barely invested SpA stat from something with only 76 base SpA. Here's another less biased example.

Hitmonlee LO Close Combat Vs. 252/252 Relaxed Wailord = 50.7% - 59.7%

Now, while impressive for Wailord, that's kind of pathetic considering that's full investment, and if Wailord goes for full investment, it's not even ensured that it can KO Hitmonlee back with Waterfall doing 81.8% - 96.7% with the Defense drops from CC. (With LO + SR it's a KO, but without SR it can live).

IDK, I don't seeing it working too well.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Before I finish my GP check, I'm wondering about the Choice Specs set. Why is it that Timid / Naive are not suggested? 60 base Speed is pretty good for a "slow" Pokemon, as it outspeeds a majority of the walls. That would be Choice Specs's main purpose: breaking down walls. I would allocate the Trick Room nature and IVs/EVs to AC as it's only pretty decent. Choice + Trick Room is actually kinda bad, honestly. Immunities and resistances will block Wailord and waste TR turns.

edit: Modest for that fact too, but I like the Speed.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Before I finish my GP check, I'm wondering about the Choice Specs set. Why is it that Timid / Naive are not suggested? 60 base Speed is pretty good for a "slow" Pokemon, as it outspeeds a majority of the walls. That would be Choice Specs's main purpose: breaking down walls. I would allocate the Trick Room nature and IVs/EVs to AC as it's perfectly usable, but is kinda icky being the main option.
I see your point, Flora, and your reasoning seems to be quite solid, but I think the best thing to do now would be to add in an extra sentence in AC describing Timid / Naive natures on the set. If you really think it should be the way you suggest I guess consulting with badass and bluewind would be the best route at this point.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I see your point, Flora, and your reasoning seems to be quite solid, but I think the best thing to do now would be to add in an extra sentence in AC describing Timid / Naive natures on the set. If you really think it should be the way you suggest I guess consulting with badass and bluewind would be the best route at this point.
Yes, I'm not convinced at all that the TR spread should be the main option. I'd like opinions for this matter before I see this marked GP 1/2.

Aerrow

hunter
Well, I just had a conversation with Bluewind on IRC about the matter of the trick room spread versus the non-trick room spread, and Bluewind thinks that the trick room spread is the best way to go. Below is the chatlog; also, I'll edit a mention of the trick room spread in the ac section of the specs set, and lastly, I've made the change suggested by Arcticblast.

[18:47]<Bluewind>nah i like the old spread
[18:47]<Bluewind>i mean
[18:47]<Bluewind>when i looked at it
[18:47]<Bluewind>the first thing i thought of
[18:47]<Bluewind>is that it's extremely unlikely that wailord will pull of
[18:47]<Bluewind>off*
[18:47]<Bluewind>a specs water spout
[18:47]<Bluewind>outside of tr
[18:48]<Bluewind>when under tr it can pretty much sweep unharmed
[18:48]<Bluewind>the fast spread can be mentioned in ac
[18:48]<Bluewind>but imo that's it

Edit: I mean a mention in the AC section.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
Okay, I'm fine with the reverse happening. Just as long as we get somewhere. =)

edit: you mean a mention of the fast spread in ac section of the specs set, right? Or, did you mean clarifying the TR spread? That's fine.

Anyways, here you go.

GP Check 1/2:
additions/changes in blue
removals in red
comments in navy

[Overview]

<p>Wailord is one of the most underrated threats in the UU metagame. (period) as at Within a first glance, it seems to be have mediocre both offensively and defensively as it has lackluster base defenses, (comma) even with its enormous base 170 HP, (comma) (45 and 45) as well as and only passable base offenses, (comma) (90 and 90) which are further hindered by Wailord’s low base Speed stat of 60. However, if you take a closer look, it becomes clear that Wailord does unexpectedly, (remove comma) actually have a niche in the UU metagame which is tied to Wailord’s enormous base 170 HP stat; its access to Water Spout, a powerful base 150 Base Power move that is dependent on the user’s HP at the time of use, (comma) allows Wailord to act as a destructive special attacker. With said move By simply spamming Water Spout, Wailord becomes can become a huge dangerous offensive threat to any team not prepared for it as it can make large holes into the opposing team by simply spamming the aforementioned attack.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As one of Wailord’s biggest setbacks is its mediocre base Speed stat, it makes sense for the Pokemon to running a Choice Scarf set which remedies in order to remedy the aforementioned problem is a logical choice, allowing Wailord to act as a great revenge killer or even, (remove comma) to an extent, (remove comma) a late-game sweeper. Water Spout is a staple on this set (as with other Wailord sets) as it’s the float whale’s Wailord's strongest attack, (remove comma) that can even being able to heavily dent any Pokemon bar Chansey, specially defensive Water- and Grass-types, and Pokemon immune to Water-type attacks who resist said move. Hydro Pump is also used on this set as it acts as a secondary form of STAB for Wailord since if its Wailord is low on HP, (comma) which will make Water Spout’s Base Power will decrease. (period) Surf can be used utilized over Hydro Pump if you value the accuracy over power the higher base power Hydro Pump boasts. The third moveslot depends on what foes you want Wailord to specifically revenge kill; Ice Beam hits Flying- and Grass-types like Altaria and Venusaur Flying-types, as well as Grass-types (which will inevitably try to switch in on Wailord) while Hidden Power Grass takes care of bulky Water-types like Lanturn and Milotic that may try to switch in on a resisted Water Spout or Hydro Pump. The final moveslot is given to Finally, (comma) Selfdestruct as this allows Wailord to go out with a bang after it has served its purpose on a its team or if it’s really low on HP and will not be able to continue to revenge kill furthermore in a battle.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Naive nature is recommended over a Timid nature (which is arguably the best on a special attacking Pokemon) as it boosts Wailord’s Speed without decreasing the Selfdestruct’s power, something that Timid would have done. Water Veil is on the set for self explanatory reasons (Wailord’s other ability, Oblivious, pretty much has no value in competitive play). 228 Speed EVs allow Wailord to outpace Pokemon with up to a base 110 Speed stat. (period) Special Attack has been is maximized to peak the power of Wailord’s special attacking moves, and the rest of the EVs have been are put into Attack in order to slightly power up Selfdestruct. If you wish, you can use a move coverage option (Hidden Power or Ice Beam) over Selfdestruct as this will allow Wailord to revenge kill a larger array of opposing Pokemon for greater coverage. If you decide to go with this, a Naive Nature and Attack EVs are not needed so you will be better off running then use a Timid nature with the extra EVs put into a different stat, preferably HP as it will make Wailord slightly more bulky.</p>

<p>This set appreciates Pokemon that can remove special walls, such as Clefable, Chansey, and Milotic, with ease. Although Selfdestruct is available to dent the walls, it is not a reliable tool, especially when Wailord has a Choice Scarf. Thus, Fighting-types, most notably Toxicroak, are great partners to Wailord as they can eliminate most of the special walls with their powerful physical attacks. Toxicroak is immune to Toxic, has Dry Skin to absorb Milotic's Surf, and has Swords Dance to smash through the opposition. Hitmonlee can also be considered due to its immunity to Thunder Wave and high Special Defense.</p>

[SET]
Ivs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 3 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the use of Choice Specs, Wailord’s special attacks, most notably, Water Spout will become insanely powerful. (period) Water Spout can being able to 2HKO even the most defensive of Pokemon like Gastrodon Clefable, as well as being able inflict large amounts of damage to other considerably bulky Pokemon. Hidden Power Electric Grass is used on the set alongside Water Spout as this allows Wailord to defeat Mantine dent Water-types such as Milotic, Blastoise, and Lanturn, which would otherwise wall Wailord its number one counter (Mantine... is pretty irrelevant.). Ice Beam furthermore complements Wailord’s moves by blasting Grass-types like Venusaur and Leafeon, (remove) perfecting the attacking coverage given by the suggested attacking options. The last move choice comes down to one’s your personal preference; Surf (or even Hydro Pump) can be used as an alternative to Water Spout if Wailord gets low on health, although Selfdestruct allows Wailord to out in a boom potentially take down a foe with it (Mostly changed because you basically used that same line for the first set.) after it has peaked its usefulness in a battle.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs suggested are self-explanatory; the maximize Wailord’s offensive prowess while simultaneously making it significantly bulky in order to lengthen a potential sweep. Also, note that if you should opt for Selfdestruct on the set, moving a couple of EVs from either defenses to Attack would be a good choice. For instance, 108 Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on Chansey. Although Wailord’s attacks become quite powerful through the use of this set, unlike the previous set, Wailord still remains susceptible to any opponent faster than it as without the Speed boost from a choice scarf, Wailord’s Speed stat remains really low. So to help remedy this problem Due to this Wailord's low Speed, it’s highly recommended that you utilize Trick Room support as without it, Wailord be supported with trick room support, as without said support, Wailord will fall before it can even attempt a sweep. Good Trick Room partners to consider include Claydol and Exeggutor, as both can use Explosion to bring in Wailord with ease. However, if you want to use a choice specs Wailord outside of Trick Room support, you can run a faster EV spread with a Timid or Naive nature, although this approach is not recommended due to the fact that without Trick Room support, Wailord will become more susceptible to faster attacks than it already is.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Since all forms of entry hazards of any sort will slowly diminish Wailord’s most powerful attack, Water Spout, (comma)’s powerful, you may find it useful to include a Rapid Spinner in your team. (period) Donphan would be is a great choice as not only can it provide Rapid Spin support (as well as Stealth Rock support), but it also shares great type synergy with Wailord. As much as Wailord hates entry hazards set up by the opponent, it loves entry hazards set up by your teammates since oftentimes the residual damage collected by said support allows Wailord to more efficiently do its job of revenge killing, among other things. Although rarely seen, Defensive Spikes Cacturne is one of the best Spikers to use alongside Wailord due to its resistances to Electric and Grass attacks. Alternatively, you can opt for Nidoqueen to set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. Also, Wish support would prove to be invaluable to can help preserve Wailord's health throughout a battle, which is important to keep Water Spout's Base Power as high as possible as it keeps the floating whale Pokemon in high health throughout a battle, making sure that Water Spout’s attacking power stays considerably high. Lastly, any Pokemon that can deal with the ever so troublesome Water- and Grass-types make great offensive partners to Wailord; Sceptile and Registeel are both prime examples of such Pokemon, which share great offensive synergy with Wailord.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Aside from the sets given, there aren’t many else other options that Wailord can effectively run as it lacks a proper movepool and (Actually, its movepool is pretty nice.) base stat distribution to run any other types of offensive or defensive roles on a team. RestTalk sets can be utilized, (remove comma) to an extent, but as Wailord’s base defenses are quite mediocre, the viability of this set is questionable. Likewise, a Curse set can be used but just like the RestTalk sets, a Curse set it would be quite ineffective due to Wailord's poor Special Defense the lack of a proper base stat layout and the efficiency being highly situational. Lastly, corresponding the Choice Scarf and Choice Specs sets, a Choice Band set can be utilized but due to Wailord’s average base Attack stat and mediocre physical movepool, this option is not recommended to be used. (Actually, I disagree. This can be pretty decent but it should stay in OC since it's of course not Wailord's best option. I'll write it here with another addition as well.) Due to Wailord's 90 base Attack and access to a great physical movepool consisting of Waterfall, Earthquake, Double-Edge, Avalanche, and Selfdestruct, a physical moveset with Choice Band or Life Orb can be an option to surprise your foes. However, the damage output will be overall lower than the standard special sets. Lastly, a special Life Orb set can be utilized with Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Grass, and Selfdestruct, as well as a Naive nature. This set has the niche advantage of switching between attacks while applying pressure on your opponent, but it lacks the Speed and ability to properly use Water Spout.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Really Anything that can outpace Wailord and has a decent amount of offensive prowess can generally beat Wailord as long as they switch into the right attack be called a counter (I don't think so. Something like Mesprit can outpace Wailord and OHKO it with Grass Knot, but it can't safely switch in on Water Spout.) as it can outspeed and easily KO Wailord given that the counter has a decent amount of offensive prowess. Examples of such Pokemon include Sceptile, Scyther, and even Blaziken. Bulky Water-types like Milotic and Lanturn all have a field day when facing Choiced Wailord, as they resist half of Wailord's moveset Wailord’s STAB attack, Water Spout and can wear down away at the whale through with their own attacks. Ludicolo also spells trouble for Wailord due to its 4x resistance to Water, neutrality to Ice Beam and Hidden Power, and ability to OHKO Wailord with Energy Ball. Likewise, bulky Grass-types like Venusaur and Leafeon are great checks to Wailord due to their key resistances and immense bulk, although the aforementioned Grass-types must beware of repeated Ice Beams from Wailord. Toxicroak deserves a special mention thanks to its ability to absorb Water-type attacks, resistance to Hidden Power Grass, and access to boosting moves that can take advantage of Wailord's switch-out. Lastly, (comma) if Wailord is at low health, a large array of Pokemon can easily set up on it once Water Spout’s power has been significantly reduced.</p>

(Maybe Ludicolo can be mentioned? Toxicroak could too. Actually, I put them in for you.)

Very fluffy. Like cotton. Looks like a Mareep. Hope it turns out to be an Ampharos after this. The fluff wasn't so bad a bit later on though, but it was still there.

Also, I was... expecting a little bit more information that is relevant. I added in more myself but feel free to change them to your liking.

Moreover, I advise you to read over your analysis carefully and fix any careless and simple mistakes in the future. Feel free to always read the link in my sig for the Rules and Grammar Standards links. They will help for sure.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you decide to go with this, then use a Timid nature with the extra EVs put into a different stat, preferably HP as it will make Wailord slightly more bulky.
28/0/0 Wailord = 61,488 / 61,488
0/12/12 Wailord = 62,049 / 62,049

62,049 > 61,488

Not to mention, 28 EVs give a bad residual damage number (488).. and you still have one more EV with the second spread. So you should change it to:

If you decide to go with this, then use a Timid nature with the extra EVs put into a different stat, preferably divided over or in one defensive stat(s) as it will make Wailord slightly more bulky than if you simply place them in HP.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Wailord is one of the most underrated threats in the UU metagame. Within a glance, it seems to have lackluster base defenses, even with its enormous base 170 HP, and only passable base offenses, which are further hindered by Wailord’s low base Speed stat of 60. However, if you take a closer look, it becomes clear that Wailord does actually have a niche in the UU metagame; its access to Water Spout, a powerful, 150 Base Power move that is dependent on the user’s HP at the time of use, allows Wailord to act as a destructive special attacker. By simply spamming Water Spout, Wailord can become a dangerous offensive threat to any team not prepared for it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As one of Wailord’s biggest setbacks is its mediocre base Speed stat, running a Choice Scarf set in order to remedy the aforementioned problem is a logical choice, allowing Wailord to act as a great revenge killer or even a late-game sweeper. Water Spout is Wailord's strongest attack that can dent any Pokemon bar Chansey, specially defensive Water- and Grass-types, and Pokemon immune to Water-type attacks. Hydro Pump is used as a secondary form of STAB since if Wailord is low on HP, Water Spout’s Base Power will decrease. Surf can be utilized over Hydro Pump if you value accuracy over power. The third moveslot depends on what foes you want Wailord to specifically revenge kill; Ice Beam hits Flying- and Grass-types like Altaria and Venusaur while Hidden Power Grass takes care of bulky Water-types like Lanturn and Milotic. Finally, Selfdestruct allows Wailord to go out with a bang after it has served its purpose on its team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Naive nature is recommended over a Timid nature as it boosts Wailord’s Speed without decreasing Selfdestruct’s power. 228 Speed EVs allow Wailord to outpace Pokemon with up to base 110 Speed stat. Special Attack is maximized to peak the power of Wailord’s special attacking moves, and the rest of the EVs are put into Attack in order to slightly power up Selfdestruct. If you wish, you can use Hidden Power or Ice Beam over Selfdestruct for greater coverage. If you decide to go with this, then use a Timid nature with the extra EVs put into a different stat, preferably HP as it will make Wailord slightly more bulky.</p>

<p>This set appreciates Pokemon that can remove special walls, such as Clefable, Chansey, and Milotic, with ease. Although Selfdestruct is available to dent the walls, it is not a reliable tool, especially when Wailord has a Choice Scarf. Thus, Fighting-types, most notably Toxicroak, are great partners to Wailord as they can eliminate most of the special walls with their powerful physical attacks. Toxicroak is immune to Toxic, has Dry Skin to absorb Milotic's Surf, and has Swords Dance to smash through the opposition. Hitmonlee can also be considered due to its immunity to Thunder Wave and high Special Defense.</p>

[SET]
Ivs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 3 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the use of Choice Specs, Wailord’s special attacks will become insanely powerful. Water Spout can 2HKO even the most defensive of Pokemon, such as Clefable, as well as inflict large amounts of damage to other considerably bulky Pokemon. Hidden Power Grass allows Wailord to dent Water-types such as Milotic, Blastoise, and Lanturn, which would otherwise wall Wailord. Ice Beam further complements Wailord’s moves by blasting Grass-types like Venusaur and Leafeon. The last move comes down to your personal preference; Surf (or Hydro Pump) can be used as an alternative to Water Spout if Wailord gets low on health, although Selfdestruct allows Wailord to potentially take down a foe with it after it has peaked its usefulness in a battle.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs maximize Wailord’s offensive prowess while simultaneously making it significantly bulky in order to lengthen a potential sweep. Also, note that if you opt for Selfdestruct on the set, moving a couple of EVs from either defenses to Attack would be a good choice. For instance, 108 Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on Chansey. Due to this Wailord's low Speed, it’s highly recommended that you utilize Trick Room support as without it, Wailord will fall before it can even attempt a sweep. Good Trick Room partners to consider include Claydol and Exeggutor, as both can use Explosion to bring in Wailord with ease. However, if you want to use Wailord outside of Trick Room support, you can run a faster EV spread with a Timid or Naive nature, although this approach is not recommended due to the fact that without Trick Room support, Wailord will become more susceptible to faster attacks than it already is.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Since all forms of entry hazards will slowly diminish Wailord’s most powerful attack, Water Spout, you may find it useful to include a Rapid Spinner on your team. Donphan is a great choice as not only can it provide Rapid Spin support, but it also shares great type synergy with Wailord. As much as Wailord hates entry hazards set up by the opponent, it loves entry hazards set up by your teammates, since oftentimes the residual damage collected allows Wailord to more efficiently do its job. Although rarely seen, Defensive Spikes Cacturne is one of the best Spikers to use alongside Wailord due to its resistances to Electric- and GrassB]-type[/B] attacks. Alternatively, you can opt for Nidoqueen to set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. Also, Wish support can help preserve Wailord's health throughout a battle, which is important to keep Water Spout's Base Power as high as possible. Lastly, any Pokemon that can deal with the ever-so-troublesome Water- and Grass-types make great offensive partners to Wailord; Sceptile and Registeel are both prime examples of such Pokemon, which share great offensive synergy with Wailord.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Aside from the sets given, there aren’t many other options that Wailord can effectively run, as it lacks a proper base stat distribution to run any other types of offensive or defensive roles on a team. RestTalk sets can be utilized to an extent, but as Wailord’s base defenses are quite mediocre, the viability of this set is questionable. Likewise, a Curse set can be used, but it would be quite ineffective due to Wailord's poor Special Defense. Due to Wailord's 90 base Attack and access to a great physical movepool consisting of Waterfall, Earthquake, Double-Edge, Avalanche, and Selfdestruct, a physical moveset with Choice Band or Life Orb can be an option to surprise your foes. However, the damage output will be overall lower than the standard special sets. Lastly, a special Life Orb set can be utilized with Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Grass, and Selfdestruct, as well as a Naive nature. This set has the niche advantage of switching between attacks while applying pressure on your opponent, but it lacks the Speed and ability to properly use Water Spout.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Anything that can outpace Wailord and has a decent amount of offensive prowess can generally beat Wailord as long as they switch into the right attack. Examples of such Pokemon include Sceptile, Scyther, and even Blaziken. Bulky Water-types like Milotic and Lanturn have a field day when facing Choiced Wailord, as they resist half of Wailord's moveset and can wear down the whale with their own attacks. Ludicolo also spells trouble for Wailord due to its 4x resistance to Water, neutrality to Ice Beam and Hidden Power, and ability to OHKO Wailord with Energy Ball. Likewise, bulky Grass-types like Venusaur and Leafeon are great checks to Wailord due to their key resistances and immense bulk, although the aforementioned Grass-types must beware of repeated Ice Beams from Wailord. Toxicroak deserves a special mention thanks to its ability to absorb Water-type attacks, resistance to Hidden Power Grass, and access to boosting moves that can take advantage of Wailord's switch-out. Lastly, if Wailord is at low health, a large array of Pokemon can easily set up on it once Water Spout’s power has been significantly reduced.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)