Mudkip (Analysis) [QC 0/2]

Did this three times... I hate auto log off ._.

Quality Control Stamps [0/2]

Mudkip

Water-type

[Overview]
  • Great Attack stat
  • Good defenses and SpA
  • Mediocre Speed
  • Small movepool but good moves
  • Mirror Coat and Counter
  • Curse
  • Can work as a bulky Pokemon, setup sweeper or fully offensive
  • For all around use
[Set]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Aqua Tail / Waterfall
move 2: Double-Edge / Return
move 3: Superpower / Iron Tail
move 4: Rock Slide / Bite
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Aqua Tail is main STAB hitting very hard
  • Waterfall is another option if you prefer reliablilty over power
  • Double Edge is strong move that gets neutral coverage on many Pokemon while Return acts the same but is weaker and does not add recoil
  • Superpower is great for revenge killing many Pokemon while Iron Tail is another strong option but has less coverage and accuracy but also no drawbacks like minus one Defense and Attack
  • Rock Slide hits Ice and Flying-types for super effective damage which is useful while Bite hits Ghost-types such as Gastly
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Mudkip hits the 21 Speed mark that allows it too outspeed every unboosted Pokemon in the metagame
  • Torrent despite being the only ability is useful in many situations giving Aqua Tail or Waterfall a boost when HP is below one third
  • Jolly nature is required sadly to hit the 21 Speed essential to Choice Scarf users
  • EVs are too maximize Speed and Attack stat while HP invest is leftover
  • A Special set is also viable on the Choice Scarf using moves such as Surf, Ice Beam, Ancientpower and Hidden Power Fire just switch the EVs around and nature to benefit the offensive Pokemon, with Mudkip sporting a lower Special Attack stat this may be unappealing but the coverage helps a bit
[Other Options]

• A annoying set can be made consisting of both Counter and Mirror Coat, Toxic and Rest
[Checks and Counters]
  • Water Absorb Pokemon will gladly take a health boost from Waterfall and force Curse Mudkip to switch out
  • Chinchou resists STAB Waterfall and can retaliate with it's own STAB Thunderbolt
  • Snover resists STAB Waterfall, sets up permantent Hail then to top it off can KO with Seed Bomb or Wood Hammer
  • Bronzor and Slowpoke do formidably on the Choice Scarf set, with a great defense stats and resisting many of the moves, it makes it hard for Mudkip to hit a team when these are easy switch ins

Eh, honestly, I don't think either sets are viable. There's no Eviolite in the 4th gen, making stat upping hard, especially for a slow Pokemon like Mudkip. The Annoyer set gets hurt badly or KOed by many things, so much that it isn't worth it.

Mudkip hits 14 Speed with a + Speed nature, so a Choice Scarf set can be utilized, and I think that's the only set it can use well.

Eh, honestly, I don't think either sets are viable. There's no Eviolite in the 4th gen, making stat upping hard, especially for a slow Pokemon like Mudkip. The Annoyer set gets hurt badly or KOed by many things, so much that it isn't worth it.
Well the fact that theres no Eviolite in gen4 is also a bonus cuz easier yo kill things ;) The Curse set is actually pre good I tested it a bit. Annoyer set well WELL, W-E-L-L its not very good so ill move it to OO =D

Mudkip hits 14 Speed with a + Speed nature, so a Choice Scarf set can be utilized, and I think that's the only set it can use well.
I thought about it but I'm not sure if it can really run that effectively either but I guess it is better than nothing. I'll see what I can make of it
EDIT: I'd also liek to say how you couldn't mention Eviolite had Gen5 not been released therefore this Curse set would have been viable back in Gen4

Added chocie scarf set to a real set, Annoyer to OO, A physical variant of Choice Scarf is in AC

<ShinyAzelf> Interrupts convo: Is a Curse Mudkip viable in 4th gen?

<Vader> no

<ShinyAzelf> Yeah thought so

I asked Vader, and he agrees with me. Mudkip is way too frail for Curse. Even if it does pull it off, Special sweepers will still have an easy time against Mudkip.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah ok, the curse set just isn't viable especially with it being a restalk set. I'd just rather you take it away completely, I mean there isn't really anything at all that is viable with curse in LC this generation and mudkip is nothing special

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Remove Curse and RestTalk, and stop wasting QC's time with obviously untested and awful stuff like Curse RestTalk Mudkip, kindly.

Scarf is pushing it, but I guess if you're really after "whatever it can do", go for it. There's really no incentive to use Mudkip over Totodile or Mantyke or Chinchou or really any other Water-type.

I don't really understand why you mention a great attack stat yet its scarf set is special based.
Yeah maybe I shoulda explained why I did that. I did it because the Physical set is pretty limited along with the special set so I thought since the special set got better coverage it would be better as a full set. I do have a physical version mentioned in AC and it talks about coverage and yeah. If you think I should switch the sets around and mention a special set in AC and full Physical set I will it's just my opinion for how I did it.

If you're going to use a Choice set, make it physical. base 20 higher attack with a nice base 70 Atk (which beats Elekid IIRC), along with Aqua Tail, Double Edge / Return, Bite, and Rock Slide / Superpower actually looks very powerful. Set:

[Set]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Aqua Tail / Waterfall
move 2: Double-Edge / Return
move 3: Superpower / Iron Tail
move 4: Rock Slide / Bite
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe

Let QC get to change the moves accordingly, but Mudkip has a lot of Attack and hi-powered moves.

Isn't that a little too many slashes? Unless Aqua Tail gets a OHKO / 2HKO on something that Waterfall doesn't, Waterfall should be used, due to its perfect accuracy and 20% flinch rate. If that is the case, move Aqua Tail to AC. I'd say take out Bite, Bite only has 60 BP (120 if super effective), and Waterfall is also 120 (with STAB), so Bite can go. Other than that, it looks all right.

EDIT: Yeah, agreeing with Oglemi that Iron Tail should be removed as well.

He must, he is the Mudkip master.
Mudkip sadly cannot do much, because of how frail it is. It isn't too bad of a revenge killer with some good type coverage though, so this is obviously the best set.
Sadly, it really is outclassed by many of the other water pokes in LC. So, maybe aside from just an Oran Berry set with the same kind of set really in Other Options, there isn't much it can do.

I'd also recommend using Ice Beam to KO Gligar or Paras as more of a mixed scarf set. No reason to limited it.

Get rid of Iron Tail and Bite like macle said, and I guess consider mentioning Ice Beam/Naive in AC.

maybe mention Yawn in OO as well too

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
If its okay with the staff, I can takeover this one and make the changes, etc.

EDIT: Got permission from SDS to takeover. New thread can be found here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)