Dragon Arceus (AF 3/3, GP 3/2)

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yay, "my" first analysis. Originally by drcossack, taken over by calm pokemaster for GP, who then left. So, I'm getting this done.

[Overview]
<p>The Creator assumes the guise of the mythical dragon of yore upon donning the Draco Plate. Writhe in horror as the Original One reveals the true power of the dragon, and dare not incur His divine wrath unless you are imbued with the power of cold steel, lest ye be squashed by His Outrage. Dragon Arceus absorbs fiery blasts and the torrential downpours in His draconian guise with His wonderful bulk and scaly hide, but shudders when confronted with the frigid blasts of Ice-types and the powerful blows of his fellow Dragons. Despite these flaws, dare not confront Dragon Arceus unless you are fully prepared for it, or all you hold dear will be obliterated in an instant.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: ExtremeSpeed
item: Draco Plate
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Dragon Arceus may not look like much when compared to more threatening Arceus formes such as the Extreme Killer, its STAB Outrage poses a major threat, and its own ExtremeSpeed still deals respectable amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. With its fantastic offensive stats, Dragon Arceus has no difficulty pulling off a Swords Dance set, hitting a mind-boggling 678 Attack stat after just one turn of setup. What sets it apart from other Arceus formes utilizing Swords Dance (Normal Arceus in particular) is the incredible power of its STAB Outrage, which blasts common Dragon-types as well as anything that doesn't resist it into oblivion. Earthquake pairs wonderfully with Outrage, smashing the Steel-types that resist Outrage. Finally, ExtremeSpeed finishes off weakened threats in addition to severely hurting healthy Choice Scarf users who wish to revenge kill Dragon Arceus. However, it must be noted that Steel-types immune to Earthquake, such as Bronzong and Skarmory, will completely wall Dragon Arceus, the latter phazing Arceus with ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is straightforward; it allows Dragon Arceus to hit as hard as possible while still outspeeding positive-natured Thundurus, Latios, and Choice Band Terrakion, as well as potentially winning the Speed tie with opposing Steel Arceus to KO with Earthquake. Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp and Zekrom can survive a +2 ExtremeSpeed and give Dragon Arceus a taste of its own medicine by revenge killing it with Outrage. Thus, walls such as Lugia and Groudon are great teammates for Dragon Arceus, as they can check these threats with ease. Ferrothorn does a fantastic job as well, KOing or severely hurting Garchomp and Zekrom with Gyro Ball and Iron Barbs, even though the latter has a Steel-type resistance. Specially-based Choice Scarf users such as Dialga and Palkia are also a headache for Dragon Arceus, so special walls such as Chansey and Blissey make good teammates for Dragon Arceus. Chansey and Blissey, in addition to sponging special attacks, can support Dragon Arceus very well with Wish and Heal Bell, and cripple the opponent with Thunder Wave. Skarmory will also wall this set, making Magnezone a great partner for Dragon Arceus, as it can trap and eliminate Steel-types with ease. As usual, Encore support from Wobbuffet is extremely valuable, as it all but guarantees Dragon Arceus a Swords Dance boost.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Judgment
move 3: Fire Blast / Substitute / Refresh
move 4: Recover
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As only Steel-types resist Dragon-type attacks, Dragon Arceus can run a very effective Calm Mind set. While not providing a large offensive boost, Calm Mind also raises Dragon Arceus's already-immense special bulk to massive levels, letting it set up fearlessly on special attackers. This is made easier by the fact that Dragon Arceus packs useful resistances to Fire- and Grass-type attacks, allowing it to set up on Choice-locked Pokemon such as Kyogre. After a Calm Mind, STAB Judgment will dish out a massive amount of damage to anything that doesn't resist it, OHKOing or 2HKOing every neutral target in Ubers. Fire Blast complements Judgment well by finishing off Steel-types that hope to switch in, allowing Dragon Arceus to roast both Ferrothorn and Skarmory, which is very useful considering the fact that the latter completely walls Dragon Arceus otherwise. However, Substitute can be used to protect Dragon Arceus from status, allowing it to survive powerful attacks from the likes of Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp and KO with super effective Judgment.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs are fairly straightforward, maximizing Dragon Arceus's Speed while boosting its overall bulk considerably. An alternate spread of 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe can be used with Substitute to bolster its offenses, while allowing it to create 101 HP substitutes in order to set up on Blissey and Chansey, who cannot hope to break them with one Seismic Toss. Alternatively, Dragon Arceus can run a fully offensive spread of 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe, allowing it to hit much harder with less set-up. Refresh is used to eliminate status if Substitute is not an option. Finally, Flamethrower can be used instead of Fire Blast if you are worried about accuracy, but it is significantly weaker.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dragon Arceus has a few alternative options it can use. Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple physical Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp and Zekrom, but Dragon Arceus has trouble finding a moveslot on all of its sets. Overheat can provide coverage on the Swords Dance set to hit Steel-types immune to Earthquake, but it can't even 2HKO Careful Skarmory and Sassy Bronzong, nor can it OHKO Sassy Ferrothorn without sun support; in rain, it does pathetic damage even to Ferrothorn, and is definitely not worth the moveslot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Physical Choice Scarf users such as Zekrom and Garchomp are the best checks to Dragon Arceus, as they will outspeed and OHKO it with Outrage while surviving a boosted ExtremeSpeed. Special attacking Choice Scarf users such as Palkia revenge kill the Swords Dance set, but will fall to the Calm Mind sets. None of them can switch into Dragon Arceus, though, as Judgment or Outrage will lay the smack down upon them. Steel-types neutral or immune to Earthquake, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, can take Dragon Arceus's boosted attacks with ease, and phaze it or smack it hard with Gyro Ball, respectively; however, they do need to watch out for Fire Blast, which will smash them to bits. Chansey and Blissey wall the Calm Mind set and can stall out Dragon Arceus with Toxic and Wish. Lugia survives a boosted Outrage or Judgment and can phaze Dragon Arceus with Whirlwind or Dragon Tail.</p>

"However, it must be noted that Steel-types immune to Earthquake, such as Skarmory and Bronzong, will completely wall Dragon Arceus and phaze it with ease."

I don't think Bronzong even gets a phazing move

No mention of Rayquaza as a teammate? This is like Double Dragon with Rayquaza and Mence, only Arceus is faster and bulkier.

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
I think the Jolly nature should be slashed, you can speed tie StallCeus (Ghost mainly who is used with a lot of Speed) and Outrage him before he can use wow. Also, you should mention that Arceus can avoid being KOed by Spacial Rend's Palkia even with SR (81-96), pretty important IMO if you only rely on Palkia to revenge kill him.

I know this has passed QC and all, so sorry if this is not the place to ask for this. On the offensive Calm Mind set, I don't get why Earth Power gets the primary slash.

Earth Power hits Dialga for the same amount than plate-boosted Judgement (180 BP) and Heatran is rare to say the least. Even on Rain teams i'd rather use Focus Blast instead of Earth Power, Ferrothorn is just THAT common.
Imo the 4rth slot should be : Fire Blast / Focus Blast. With Earth Power and Flamethrower in AC

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know this has passed QC and all, so sorry if this is not the place to ask for this. On the offensive Calm Mind set, I don't get why Earth Power gets the primary slash.

Earth Power hits Dialga for the same amount than plate-boosted Judgement (180 BP) and Heatran is rare to say the least. Even on Rain teams i'd rather use Focus Blast instead of Earth Power, Ferrothorn is just THAT common.
Imo the 4rth slot should be : Fire Blast / Focus Blast. With Earth Power and Flamethrower in AC
Yeah, he's correct. Since Judgment hits Dialga just as strong as Earth Power, I'd rather hit Ferrothorn super effectively than Heatran any day since Heatran is hardly ever seen. So yeah change the slashes to Fire Blast / Focus Blast. He's right Ferrothorn is just that much of a pest.

Ctr+F Overheat --> No mentions....

Also, you absolutely need to mention Overheat SOMEWHERE in the SD set. I'd much rather use Overheat than ExtremeSpeed anyway since ES is quite weak. I'd personally say make the last slot Overheat / ExtremeSpeed. Also, you need to mention Wobbuffet since it gives Arceus a foolproof +2 with Encore and makes it incredibly deadly. Wobbuffet also deals with any Scarfers who can be troublesome to Dragon Arceus.

So, I'll be going through this analysis again to make sure its ok.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for taking so long to get back to this.

I did some calculations with Adamant 0 SpA Overheat vs. Specially Defensive Skarm, Bronzong, and standard Ferrothorn (this is using doug's calculator but it should still be pretty accurate).

adamant arceus overheat vs. careful 252/252 skarm
57.5% - 67.7%
followed by +2 outrage: 36.2% - 42.5%
(guaranteed 3hko)
(guaranteed 2hko, possible ohko in sun)

adamant arceus overheat vs. sassy 252/252 bronzong
40.8% - 48.5%
20.7% - 24.9% (-2)
followed by +2 Outrage: 42% - 49.7%
(guaranteed 3HKO)
(guaranteed 2HKO in sun [followed by outrage])

adamant arceus overheat vs. sassy 252/208 ferrothorn
80.7% - 95.5%
40.9% - 48.9%
(guaranteed 2hko)
(guaranteed OHKO in sun)

Should I include these calcs in the analysis? They seem pretty useful.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, mention Overheat somewhere in the SD set, maybe even give it a slash. You don't really have to put the calcs in, but make you say what it does (2HKOs Skarm, Ferrothorn, etc). Do this and I'll approve.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Instead of mentionining Refresh in the SubCM set, you need to mention it in the Calm Mind set imo since while using Sub you're anyway immune to status.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Dragon Arc should use Jolly IMO - outrunning Terrakion, genies (watch out for TWave/Tailwind), and possibly speedtying with opposing +Speed Arceus. It'll also outrun the rare Latios.

Take off Earth Power from the CM set, merge SubCM and CM sets into one because they play a bit too similarly to deserve different sets.

[SET]

The EV spread grants it a good amount of bulk for setting up CMs. Can survive a Garchomp and Zekrom Outrage at full health. 248 HP to minimize three-layer Spikes damage. Mention 92/164/252 and 4/252/252 as an alternative for a more offensive approach

Swords Dance said:
Specially-based Choice Scarf users such as Dialga and Palkia are also a headache for Dragon Arceus, so special walls such as Chansey, Blissey, and Kyogre make good teammates for Dragon Arceus
I don't know about this. Chansey and Blissey don't quite fit in the team archetype that Dragon Arceus should be operating in. Also Kyogre isn't a special wall and is not going to swap into Dialga/Palkia

Agreeing with Jibaku about using Jolly nature as the main nature and shift Adamant to AC. Arceus needs the extra Speed which can sometimes help you take out opposing Arceus forms such as Steel Arceus with +2 Earthquake or Ghost Arceus with +2 Outrage before they get a chance to burn you.

Using Adamant also makes you vulnerable to revenge kills by Choice Band Terrakion and Timid Lugia gets a chance to set up a Reflect ahead of you.

Overheat is also rather weak on the Swords Dance set, it doesn't even 2HKO standard Ubers Careful Skarmory in neutral weather and in rain it tickles even Ferrothorn. Jibaku agreed it shouldn't be slashed in.

Change the spread to Jibaku's one which is more efficient.

With that spread, Jolly Scarf Zekrom's Outrage does 84% - 99.3%, so you can survive can KO it.
Adamant does 92.1% - 108.8%, so you still have some chance to survive it while Garchomp's Earthquake does not not stand a chance to OHKO you at full health.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
Okay, I fixed up the Swords Dance set according to shrang's post, and merged the Calm Mind sets with EVs and moves recommended by Jibaku and trickroom. I believe this is ready, so if I can get the heads up I'll have perhaps another GP member check my fixes if that's even necessary.

AF APPROVED 1/3

Change the 744 Attack stat, with Jolly, you no longer reach 744 after one Swords Dance.
339 x 2 = 678, is still pretty fearsome. STAB Outrage + Draco Plate makes it way more powerful than Extremekiller Arceus's ExtremeSpeed.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As per request, I am re-GPing this, following some major edits.

I may or may not ask for a second check, depending on how this goes.

[Overview]
<p>The Creator assumes the guise of the mythical dragon of yore upon donning the Draco Plate. Writhe in horror as the Original One reveals the true power of the dragon, and dare not incur his divine wrath unless you are imbued with the power of cold steel, lest ye be squashed by his Outrage. Dragon Arceus absorbs the fiery blasts and the torrential downpours in his draconian guise with his wonderful bulk and scaly hide, but shudders when confronted with the frigid blasts of Ice-types and the powerful blows of his fellow Dragons. Despite these flaws, dare not confront Dragon Arceus unless you are fully prepared for it, or all you hold dear will be obliterated in an instant.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: ExtremeSpeed
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Dragon Arceus may not look like much when compared to more threatening Arceus formes such as the Extreme Killer, its STAB Outrage poses a major threat, and its own ExtremeSpeed still deals respectable amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. With its fantastic offensive stats, Dragon Arceus has no difficulty pulling off a Swords Dance set, hitting a mind-boggling 678 Attack stat after just one turn of setup. What sets it apart from other Arceus formes utilizing Swords Dance (Normal Arceus in particular) is the incredible power of its STAB Outrage, which blasts common Dragon-types - as well as anything that doesn't resist it - into oblivion. Earthquake pairs wonderfully with Outrage, smashing the Steel-types that resist Outrage. Finally, ExtremeSpeed finishes off weakened threats in addition to severely hurting healthy Choice Scarf users who wish to revenge kill Dragon Arceus. However, it must be noted that Steel-types immune to Earthquake, such as Bronzong and Skarmory, will completely wall Dragon Arceus, the latter phazing Arceus with ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is straightforward; it allows Dragon Arceus to hit as hard as possible while still outspeeding positive-natured Thundurus, Latios, and Choice Band Terrakion, as well as potentially winning the Speed tie with opposing Steel Arceus to KO with Earthquake. Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp and Zekrom can survive a +2 ExtremeSpeed and give Dragon Arceus a taste of its own medicine by revenge killing it with Outrage. Thus, walls such as Lugia and Groudon are great teammates for Dragon Arceus, as they can check these threats with ease. Ferrothorn does a fantastic job as well, KOing or severely hurting Garchomp and Zekrom with Gyro Ball and Iron Barbs, even though the latter has a Steel-type resistance. Specially-based Choice Scarf users such as Dialga and Palkia are also a headache for Dragon Arceus, so special walls such as Chansey and Blissey make good teammates for Dragon Arceus. Chansey and Blissey, in addition to sponging special attacks, can support Dragon Arceus very well with Wish and Heal Bell, and cripple the opponent with Thunder Wave. Skarmory will also wall this set, making Magnezone a great partner for Dragon Arceus, as it can trap and eliminate Steel-types with ease. As usual, Encore support from Wobbuffet is extremely valuable, as it all but guarantees Dragon Arceus a Swords Dance boost.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As only Steel-types resist Dragon-type attacks, Dragon Arceus can run a very effective Calm Mind set. While not providing a large offensive boost, Calm Mind also raises Dragon Arceus's already-immense special bulk to massive levels, letting it set up fearlessly on special attackers. This is made easier by the fact that Dragon Arceus packs useful resistances to Fire- and Grass-type attacks, allowing it to set up on Choice-locked Pokemon such as Kyogre. After a Calm Mind, STAB Judgment will dish out a massive amount of damage to anything that doesn't resist it, OHKOing or 2HKOing every neutral target in Ubers. Fire Blast complements Judgment well by finishing off Steel-types that hope to switch in, allowing Dragon Arceus to roast both Ferrothorn and Skarmory, which is very useful considering the fact that the latter completely walls Dragon Arceus otherwise. However, Substitute can be used to protect Dragon Arceus from status, allowing it to survive powerful attacks from the likes of Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp and KO with super effective Judgment.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs are fairly straightforward, maximizing Dragon Arceus's Speed while boosting its overall bulk considerably. An alternate spread of 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe can be used with Substitute to bolster its offenses, while allowing it to create 101 HP substitutes in order to set up on Blissey and Chansey, who cannot hope to break them with one Seismic Toss. Alternatively, Dragon Arceus can run a fully offensive spread of 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe, allowing it to hit much harder with less set-up. Refresh is used to eliminate status if Substitute is not an option. Finally, Flamethrower can be used instead of Fire Blast if you are worried about accuracy, but it is significantly weaker.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dragon Arceus has a few alternative options it can use. Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple physical Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp and Zekrom, but Dragon Arceus has trouble finding a moveslot on all of its sets. Overheat can provide coverage on the Swords Dance set to hit Steel-types immune to Earthquake, but it can't even 2HKO Careful Skarmory and Sassy Bronzong, nor can it OHKO Sassy Ferrothorn without sun support; in rain, it does pathetic damage even to Ferrothorn, and is definitely not worth the moveslot.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Physical Choice Scarf users such as Zekrom and Garchomp are the best checks to Dragon Arceus, as they will outspeed and OHKO it with Outrage while surviving a boosted ExtremeSpeed. Special attacking Choice Scarf users such as Palkia revenge kill the Swords Dance set, but will fall to the Calm Mind sets. None of them can switch into Dragon Arceus, though, as Judgment or Outrage will lay the smack down upon them. Steel-types neutral or immune to Earthquake, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, can take Dragon Arceus's boosted attacks with ease, and phaze it or smack it hard with Gyro Ball, respectively; however, they do need to watch out for Fire Blast, which will smash them to bits. Chansey and Blissey wall the Calm Mind set and can stall out Dragon Arceus with Toxic and Wish. Lugia survives a boosted Outrage or Judgment and can phaze Dragon Arceus with Whirlwind or Dragon Tail.</p>

I personally think this is okay now, most of the changes were minor prose-based things.
If you want to ask for another, by all means.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
Okay implemented. I left His capitalized because Arceus is God. I don't think this needs another one. Put her up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)