CAP 13 CAP 2 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

I hope my design its not breaking any rules( if it is please tell me so i can correct it)
Its based on a coocon and a psychopath in a straitjacket
If you want your eyes to suffer, your mind to laugh and your time to lose here is the description
This coocon like pokemon lurks at nights in the depths of the forest leaving a colorful mark everywhere it steps.
This creature feeds itself from every organic compund to its sorroundigs. It usually is seen hanging from a tree upside down disguising himself as part of the tree.This serves it as a camouflage to its enemies and preys.

Altough it should be called a vegetarian, sometimes when the lack of organic compounds is present at its enviroment, it attract prey by using a colorful liquid released from its vines so the prey can come close enough to trap it between its vines, suffocating it and then bury it descomposing it in the soil making it more fertile and feeding this pokemon with the organic energy its unfortunate victime drops. Sometimes they just play with its victim spraying them with the liquid and releasing them, making them more likely to be killed by other pokemons.
Its vines altough big and sturdy are not very strong.

When it has drained all the organical essence the tree and its sorrounding had, it take its vines out of the ground and moves slowly to another space. Very few times they can successfully get to another place since they cant move fast enough to avoid being eaten, and the stored liquid (that its stored in the torns of the vine) its dropped every step making their travel even harder and leaving a distinctive and mostly beautiful colorful image in their way.
This doesnt mean they are slow as a spiky melon, they are kinda fast when moving just the dorsal part of their body.

It uses its wings-like (that are actually claws) to climb trees and as intimidating means. Inside its body theres a large vine that connects its vines with its body. The plasma-like hair its actually a digestive apparatus and a mouth he uses to eat and digest leaves.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Final Submission

A Pokemon based off of tiki statues. They may look scary, but rest assured, they are not malicious or evil in any way. They act more like guardians if anything. They have quite an interesting history behind them, so please read the Backstory for more information.

Supporting Material

Backstory

These Pokemon are very rare and only found on one remote jungle island. Centuries ago, a tribe of native people lived on this island. In order to defend themselves from dangerous wild Pokemon, they carved statues out of wood to guard their village and scare away intruders.

It was discovered that painting certain patterns on the masks of these statues would give them special properties that allowed them to fend off certain Pokemon. For instance, one variation of design would give a statue the element of Water and made it more effective at warding off Fire Pokemon. The natives eventually created hundreds of different painted designs, each with a different intended effect. The statues were placed all around the village to keep watch.

Hundreds of years later, the natives eventually died out. But because of their funeral rituals, their spirits were preserved inside the bodies of the statues, which remained untouched even if the wood had decayed and their leaf decorations had wilted. And the markings on their heads never faded away, always looking like they had just been freshly painted.

Although they appear to be normal statues, they instantly come alive and attack whenever an intruder wanders into the area. Even to this day, they still continue to protect their little village just as they did all those centuries ago...

A concise and interesting backstory, aragornbird. The "sketch" explanation is original, although it feels closer to Color Change or Multitype in many ways but it still works. The visual design is simple, classic, and classy. Really liking that entry.

Hundreds of years later, the natives eventually died out. But because of their funeral rituals, their spirits were preserved inside the bodies of the statues, which remained untouched even if the wood had decayed and their leaf decorations had wilted. And the markings on their heads never faded away, always looking like they had just been freshly painted.
I think that the tiki statue is one of the most interesting and appealing of the final submissions. But I'm wondering if we could see this wilted/decayed tiki that was referenced in the backstory. As it is now, it seems very alive and green. Maybe the ghost typing will be enhanced if it IS wilted/decayed.

@noobiess - Definitely the left, I agree with Mox-Quitoxe for the same reason as stated.

@aragornbird - Actually, zyrefredric makes a really interesting point there that hadn't occurred to me, and I have to agree. Take exactly the current design, make the wood washed out (near grey and aged), add borer holes, splinters, and make the leaves more skeletal and brown, and you've gone from a design that looks mostly pure Grass or Grass/Fighting to a design that is most definitely Grass/Ghost and aligns perfectly with your backstory. It would be awesome, but I doubt there is time. :(

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submission

Main Design:

Supporting Artwork:
CAP2 Heals a Ho-oh: Part 1
Shadow Sneak
Spatial Rend
Close Combat
Sneaky Pose
Early Concepts

Supporting Text:
  • Corn and Husk: As you could probably tell, my design has some corn-like features that support its Grass-typing. Its kernel-laden body and cloak-like husk demonstrate that this Pokemon may have been alive and growing at one point. Its tentacles, though spooky, are made of plant material and can be manipulated easily. Even though they are tipped with tiny blades, this Pokemon has extreme appendage dexterity that can be useful for many situations. While CAP2 can't perform synthesis anymore since it is dead, it feeds simply for enjoyment, with its favorite food being the sticky delight that is Honey.

• A True Ghost: Another key concept that I wanted to incorporate that of a spooky appearance. The skull mask, wobbly tentacles, and wispy cloak are good indicators of this. Furthermore, CAP2 has the ability to disappear, as shown in the image with Shadow Sneak. It stalks overgrown forests and fields in search of meaning and purpose. Perhaps it seeks to extract revenge on plants that are living for absorbing the nutrients it once needed. Or perhaps it is simply lonely and looking for company.

• Scythes: Another important theme of my concept is that of scythes and pruning the earth. CAP2 is a deadened plant and finds joy in maintaining the ground. When an area becomes too cultivated with plants, CAP2 is often seen harvesting plants like wheat, saplings, and vines. Despite its corn-like appearance, this Pokemon has been found in savanna and tropical settings as well. It uses the two thin blades on the ends of its tentacles to cut down plants. It's rumored that CAP2 even sharpens its blades in the gap located at the base of its skull! The scythe is a wonderful element that combines CAP2's ghostly looks with its synthesizing past.

• Glowing: The eye holes is CAP2's mask and the scythe symbol on its back (as visible in the Spacial Rend picture) are actually capable of glowing. This is especially visible during the night; it gives CAP2 a very spooky appearance. It has the ability to turn on and off the glowing in order to surprise its victims or make its presence known. This Pokemon has even been known to sit in complete silence and darkness in an overgrown area for hours on end until something comes along for it to spook. Its favorite method is to wave its tentacles and activate the lights in its eye sockets.

As you can see from some of the above images, CAP2 utilizes both its corn kernels and scythes to perform Sketch. When this Pokemon is going to use Sketch, its eyes and scythe symbol glow a bright purple. At this stage, CAP2 stares into the very soul of its target and memorizes every aspect of the move. It can then control its supernatural kernels and scythes to replicate the attack with incredible detail. Although CAP2 is incredibly intelligent, the massive amount of mental space that Sketch takes allows for only one usage. CAP2 doesn't use Sketch lightly, even when unsupervised in the wild and without a trainer. As a result, very few of these Pokemon are seen with a lackluster Sketched move like Tail Whip. In fact, although CAP2 lives in isolation, confrontations with its own type can be legendary; hierarchy is determined by the more powerful and rare Sketch move. Thus, it is highly important for CAP2 to Sketch a move of value. Maybe CAP2 uses Sketch in order to find meaning to its lonely existence in the wild.

• Stats: Although many have stressed that stats don't have to matter in terms of design, I would argue that a Pokemon should resemble its stats (to some degree). Since that was one of my main goals, I attempted to make a CAP2 design that oozes bulky offense. Ghost-types naturally have a low HP stat, so that fits well with the design. CAP2's 120 Attack stat meshes with the powerful vines, sharp blades, and imposing stance. 100 Defense and 120 Special Defense also make sense with the concept; CAP2 is bulky-looking by nature. Its modest 85 Special Attack symbolizes the kernels; not overly powerful but with the ability to become threatening. And finally, CAP2's base 81 Speed is slow, but not molasses-slow. While my design has plenty of bulk to carry around, its ghostly lightness allow it to glide across the ground effortlessly.

• Gender Differences: So many designs seem to be based off of gender differences this round! I'd rather keep things classy with a lack of gender difference in my design, so that's what I went with. Kept to the beat of my own drum. However, if you're a spriter who's adamant about gender differences and have a good supporting reason, I could probably be convinced to see your point.

• Shiny Coloration: While I personally don't have any hard-set color for CAP2's shiny variation, I'll provide a suggestion here for future spriters to take a gander at. I also love the idea of purple heirloom corn being incorporated to that design. Play around with it and see what you like!

Final Submission

Main Design

Here it is, the final version of my dead flower!
Once again, the concept is a flower that has uprooted itself and uses the sap dripping from it's roots to sketch.
The mon itself is modeled after the combination of an angel and a dead lily.

Supporting Artwork
A lily (for reference)
Some old versions using sketch

More current supporting artwork will be added tomorrow. Finals do so get in the way of real work!

Final submission

Final submission:

The flower power pokemon (sertainly check the suporting material for the female version)

Supporting material:
female and male version:

Random sketches
Some more random sketches

The concept and the making of the design:
I started thinking of the concept since the typing was known. Strangely enough, I never thought about scarescows, possessed wooden logs,… . I couldn’t find a good idea until hippies popped in my head. When I think of hippies, I see a chubby old man with long hear, a headband and an unwashed beard. Maybe I just was thinking too much about Leo from that 70’s show but I liked to make a design similar to that. Somehow I think that hippies are always artistic, so sketch would fit right in.

I doodled a bit and when the stat spread was known, I started making the design. Since I didn’t want a too humanoid design, I could choose any body structure I wanted. I first started with just a sphere but I didn’t like because it was too similar too dusknoir. I made a pearish-body then. I quit liked it but it didn’t really look really Pokémonish then. It also looked like it’s only attack could be body slam :p Finally I came up with the radish-body structure, which I liked. I think it gives the design a lot more of a dynamic look.

The design itself:
It has a lot of aspect of a hippie. Of course flowers, the headband, the beard and the long heard need to be in there.
But I also tried to add the pattern on a tie dye T-shirt and the peacesign (the shape of the flower on the headband).

Comments on other designs:
Aragornbird: The choice of a tikimask looked so obvious and unoriginal. But your design looks so good I didn’t bothered me of that. I think from all the designs, this one come the closest to the stat spread.
Dougjustdoug: I love the design. The only thing that bothers me is that it looks more of a dark/grass typed pokemon.
Wyverii: I love the design. It’s very original and cute. But I think it also looks too much of a dark/grass type.I also think it doesn’t really fit the stat spread.
SoIheardyoulikesentret: I love the design. It fits the stat spread really nice and it looks awesome. But I think the design of the gravedigger looked a bit better.
Puking rainbows: I think this design looks awesome but the paint of the body really bothers me.
Tin: I think the first design looked much better and could be easily adapted to the stat spread. But this design looks really awesome too.
Rotational basis: I really love your design. Somehow, the face looks really cute. I also feel like the most eager to design a prevo for this design.
LouisCyphre: I love the design. The for-legged version looks way better. I would love to see the designs with colors, even though I think it might get to monotone then.
Koa: I think you’re my favorite so far. The design is simple but beautifull. I love the concept. It’s brilliant and it doesn’t look so farfetched.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
Final Submission

Main Design

Supporting Materials

This Pokemon is based on a koala with features of Leonardo Da Vinci, most notably, its beard of eucalyptus leaves. They live high in trees and carve any creature that crosses their path in the bark. They have an outstanding memory; if nothing crosses their path they can recall creatures that have not been seen for hundreds of years. Their coat is very durable and it can negate even the strongest attacks. They use their powerful arms and razor sharp claws to land devastating physical blows. The shiny version has a color scheme for a colder season to further display its lack of life.

Shiny Version

Thanks Wyv! Just a heads up, but I won't be able to put the poll up until about 6 PM tomorrow, GMT-5 (~16 hours from this post). If Wyv puts it up before that, no sweat, but I wanted to make sure that you were all aware of where I stand in my schedule! If the poll isn't up by the time I get back from work tomorrow evening, I'll make it myself with my usual spunk. See you all then.

edit by tennisace: quack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)