Exeggutor (Analysis) [GP 2/2]

Responses in bold, what I am responding to is underlined.

Alright will do qc dudes. I think now would be a good time to take some other sets into thought. Anyone up for a trolly harvest exeggutor (as if mixed eggy wasn't trolly enough >_> )?
The last underlined part (Not to mention, with Chlorophyll and sun, Exeggutor doesn't have a weak SpA) was my reasoning behind assuming that Exeggutor would get the OHKO and would be strong under sun. Although, I see why you were confused, that was probably a typo that led to weird wording.

Fair enough. You did catch me on the nature power/wood hammer, should have done more research than some basic stat look ups and quick movepool. Nonetheless, like I said, I am LIKING what I see here, so I hope I didn't offend you.

Also, did the calcs and for CB Scizor:
Scizor@Choice Band (252 EVs, +Nature) Bullet Punch vs Exeggutor (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 56.1 ~ 66.1% (186 ~ 219 HP)

Seems like its a losing fight for Exeggutor, switching in can risk an OHKO from U-Turn, or a follow up KO with the second bullet punch. Although, I guess if you're already in, you have the ability to KO (Not sure how many people would stay in though.) Nonetheless, after seeing the calcs I don't think the defense EVs are really needed. (I would recommend you confirm my calcs though, I'm in a rush at the moment.)

Also, good point with the fighting resist, but CB Terrakion is barely a 2HKO without rocks (barely, but a 2HKO nonetheless).

Terrakion@Choice Band (252 EVs, Neutral Nature) Close Combat vs Exeggutor (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 50.4 ~ 59.5% (167 ~ 197 HP)

Although, if its not CB, definitely going to have trouble. Good catch with the psychic, HOWEVER, I still think its not entirely good. You have to agree that weaknesses to U-Turn (and so, with it, volt-turn) and pursuit are definitely hurtful traits. Won't deny the fighting resist though.

Also may I suggest Leech Seed for some potential LO recovery (Perhaps on the switch after you threaten something out, like some bulky water), and also Synthesis to work with the sun for that 66% (I believe) recovery?

Again, I did make sure to say that I liked your idea, so I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way.

Alright so I tried out the Sunny Day set and it was pretty decent. However, having to tip-toe around using your most powerful attack was very annoying. As for a Sub-Seed set, I am actually up in the air about it.

I feel that Chlorophyll is decent and a Sub-Seed set can use Eggy's pretty good bulk. I have been using this spread to get pretty much the same defenses on both sides: EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 120 SDef / 92 Spd Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk). I don't think a fast seeder is the way to go since there are other Pokemon (imo) who can do it much better (Breloom and Saur).

However, I've been trying out Harvest with Sitrius Berry and it has the interesting niche of being one of the only SubSeeders who can continuously Sub without the need of Leech Seed. With Leech Seed+Sitrius Berry it is easy to get above 50% recovery after two turns. However, my only impediment so far has been understanding Harvest's mechanics, it has been a bit confusing in some battles.

Lastly, SD has been on my mind since Eggy is one of the few mon's to get Wood Hammer, but I am not so sure about the coverage. All you get is Wood Hammer, Nature Power, and Low Kick. Of course, I have been using HP Fire in the last slot even with SD.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you can flesh any of these sets out so that they are viable and competitive, then add set descriptions of them in the OP. Otherwise, just mention these in OO.

So I took AccidentalGreed's suggestion and wrote up the OU analysis in this post. I didn't want to remove all the information in the OP so here it is.

[Overview]

<p>Arguably one of the strongest Pokemon and popular Pokemon of the RBY generation, Exeggutor role in the fifth generation couldn't be further from his Gen 1 counterpart. With the introduction of Drought into the OU metagame, Exeggutor can employ Chlorophyll to great effect by becoming a mean Wallbreaker. However, Exeggutor's new role in BW does have its drawbacks. Unlike its Generation 1 counterpart, Exeggutor has atrocious special defense, meaning even resisted special hits can dent it. Furthermore Chlorophyll can only do so much to improve his speed as his base 55 speed still makes sure many Scarfers can still outspeed. But with the right teammates, Exeggutor will surely prove that two, possibly three, heads are better than one.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Nature Power / Low Kick
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Explosion / Sleep Powder / Psychic
item: Life Orb
trait: Chlorophyll
nature: Rash
evs: 12 Atk / 244 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Immediately what pops out in stat spread is his high base 125 special attack stat, certainly something not to be trifled with. However, of lesser prominence is his decent base 95 attack stat. While seemingly barren, Exeggutor possess just the right movepool to break through a Sun teams most common nemesis: Heatran and Tyranitar. Leaf Storm is the crux of Exeggutor's power being able to sheer even 50% off of Latios. Next, the choice of physical move chooses which one would rather OHKO vs 2HKO, Tyranitar with Low Kick or Heatran with Nature Power (Earthquake over Wifi). It should be noted that Nature Power if the prefered option due to Tyranitar being hit supereffectively hit by Leaf Storm and then being promptly KO'ed by Nature Power. Hidden Power Fire is used to break past Scizor and Ferrothorn as well as take advantage of the sunlight boosted Fire-moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The last moveslot depends on the players preference on how Exeggutor can contribute to ones team. Explosion can be used as a powerful way to exit the field if a free switch-in is necessary. It also can be used to KO Dragonite after SR and do a good chunk to Latias who is problematic for many sun teams. Sleep Powder can be used to nullify any opposing Pokemon from the match and be used if other Chlorophyll sweepers are pressed for moveslots. Lastly, Psychic can be used as a powerful secondary STAB and be used to hit Dragons. If one chooses to use Explosion, an alternative EV spread of 76 Atk / 180 SAtk / 252 Spd can be used to get the OHKO on Dragonite after one switchin to Stealth Rock.</p>

</p>Exeggutor great movepool allows him to wallbreak for Sun teams and in doing so makes a great partner with other Chlorophyll Sweepers. As a must for Exeggutor to function, Ninetales is needed to provide sunlight. Exeggutor's best partner is perhaps Venausaur. Exeggutor removes Heatran and Tyranitar who would otherwise be an impediment to Venasaurs sweep. Exeggutor can also provide sleep support for Venasaur, a job that often takes up a crucial slot on Venasaur's limited moveset. A good Stealth Rock setter is also needed to provide Exeggutor the ability to KO certain opponents. Donphan is a great choice, as his useful Rapid Spin will extend Exeggutor's and Ninetales longevity.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Exeggutor has the ability to run a classic Sunnybeam set if one needs extra Sun support on a team. However, against teams with opposing weather inducers, Exeggutor will have to be precise on when to use Solarbeam and Sunny Day. This creates a situation where Exeggutor must skirt away using its powerful, STAB move which is less than optimal. Like many other Grass-types, Exeggutor can choose to elect to run a SubSeed set in the sunlight. However with Chlorophyll he is ussually outclassed by his faster, more specially bulky brethen. However, Exeggutor can use Harvest to the fullest extent in the sunlight with a Sitrius Berry. A Sitrius Berry allows Exeggutor to be one of the only SubSeeders around to completely restore 25% health when using Leech Seed, meaning there is no net loss of health when SubSeeding.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Exeggutor's execellent movepool makes it quite difficult to counter, but when having certain moves it is utterly countered by some Pokemon. Without Explosion or with Sleep-Clause already activated, Latias is perhaps the best counter to Exeggtuor, resisting all of its moves and being able to recover off any damage. In a similar manner, Hydreigon posses the resists to come in Exeggutor, but most be more wary with Low Kick. Scarf in hand, Hydreigon can outspeed Exeggutor and can elect to smack it with a sun-boosted Fire move to prey on his low special defense or use U-turn to gain momentum while still hitting Exeggutor hard. Lum Berry Dragonite can also come in and wreck havoc, but most be weary of Explosion with Stealth Rock damage. In terms of checks, any fast Scarfer who can prey on Exeggutor's low special defense or hit him with a Bug type move can threaten him. This includes Landorus, Terrakion, and Latios. Interestingly Scarf Tyranitar has the ability to trap Exeggutor, since it removes the sunlight Exeggutor is reliant upon and proceeds to outspeed him in the sand.</p>

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay. This needs quite a big address, I think.

Firstly, on your set itself. One move I think you have forgotten completely about Wood Hammer. You know, generally when I see a "mixed" set, I tend to think two mixed STABs, not one STAB, and a mixed coverage move. Anyway, if Low Kick is only there to OHKO Tyranitar, then I reckon you could probably drop it, put Wood Hammer in the final slot and OHKO TTar with that instead (or alternatively you can just nuke it with Leaf Storm). While yes, Low Kick is cool and all, I do like the look of a 120 BP STAB attack more. On the topic of that, can we get rid of Explosion? Eggy's boom is weak-sauce this gen with the Explosion nerf, especially with no investment. So, with that in mind, I reckon we should have:

[SET]
move 1: Leaf Storm / Psychic
move 2: Wood Hammer
move 3: Nature Power
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Sleep Powder
evs: 164 Atk / 176 SpA / 168 Spe (May get something more efficient later)

With the current spread, you have enough attack to OHKO 252/0 Tyranitar with Wood Hammer after Stealth Rock, and enough Speed to outspeed base 120s. The rest go into SpA to pump up your other attacks. As for that first slot, Leaf Storm is obviously preferred for the power, but Psychic is usable for consistency, as well as letting you hit dragons (not Hydreigon or Latis) for neutral damage.

Okay, with that out of the way, let's look at the whole thing. Since it appears you're now writing the entire analysis, there should be other sets that I think deserve to be written up as well, or at least be tested (which I'd test a bit later): pure special attacker, Trick Room and Swords Dance. Let's get started on this:

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 2: Psyshock / Psychic
move 4: Giga Drain / Nature Power / Sleep Powder
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
nature: Modest / Rash
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

While it may seem like Venusaur outclasses this, Exeggutor is much more powerful off the bat. It can also 2HKO Blissey after Stealth Rock damage with Psyshock, something Venusaur will really struggle to do. As for the last slot, Giga Drain is preferred because consistent and lets you recover health, but Nature Power can be used if you really hate Heatran. Why does Exeggutor not have Growth o_0.

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 3: Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
move 4: Sleep Powder / Hidden Power Fire
trait: Harvest
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
ivs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 2 Spe

I'm not too sure about this at the moment since I'm only theorymoning, but as for competition with Reuniclus is concerned, you do have Sleep Powder and Leaf Storm on your side, so I don't know.
Nah fuck it, this set sucks. Put it in OO.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
move 3: Low Kick / Nature Power
move 4: Zen Headbutt / Hidden Power Fire
nature: Adamant / Naughty
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Exeggutor actually has pretty good coverage on this set. Sure, you're walled by Skarm (if you don't run HP Fire), but does that really matter? Zen Headbutt is surprisingly good coverage since it hits all Dragonite and co for neutral damage. As for Nature Power and Low Kick, I prefer Low Kick since you can at least hit Hydreigon now, while you can destroy Ferrothorn with it. Heatran is pretty much taken care of by Low Kick anyway. However, Nature Power IS good for Jirachi (probably the biggest attraction of Nature Power), as well as stuff like Metagross. Up to you, really.

So yes, I think this should probably be changed to "Exeggutor (OU Analysis - *whatever*)", since you're doing just that now. I think this would actually have some good value too, since Exeggutor is another one of those Pokemon that can actually take on Keldeo when it comes out!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Please add what Shrang posted to your OP. QC all agreed that everything in that post bar TR is pretty good so add it and ill give it a stamp. Cheers

Please add what Shrang posted to your OP. QC all agreed that everything in that post bar TR is pretty good so add it and ill give it a stamp. Cheers
Did it and done it cheers.

Shrang mentioned that the Mixed Eggy's EV's might be looked over. Wouldn't now be the time?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, the spread we have right now yields us 267 Atk / 363 SpA / 374 Spe. Now that I think about it, we may want more speed to outspeed base 130s. That would leave us with 164 Atk / 136 SpA / 208 Spe with a Rash nature, and that yields us 267 Atk / 352 SpA / 396 Spe (with Chlorophyll, obviously). I'll let the rest of QC have a look at this, but it's either the one in the OP at the moment, or this new one, IMO.

Also, on the SD set:

Latios and Latias can put a stop to your sweep by resisting all of your moves.
You do OHKO Latios with +2 Wood Hammer after SR, so probably just Latias.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quite frankly, with Adamant Max Speed DD Dragonite being so common (Judging from the usage stats) you might as well aim to get the jump on 130 base. Unless there is a significant drop in power I would rather we stick with Shrangs spread.

shrang

General Kenobi
Yeah, outspeeding 130s and +1 Dragonite is probably more important, so 164 Atk / 136 SpA / 208 Spe it is. Even though we're not taking analyses for B/W2 before July the 8th, if you're going to start writing this up, I'd suggest you gear towards B/W2 (which means mention how Exeggutor can check Keldeo and all that shenanigans).

I trust you'll be able to implement these, so

QC APPROVED 1/3

....aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA

will try to get done tonight

edit: On Shrang's spread if you do run HP Fire you need 212 EV's to outspeed base 130's. In that case it should be 164 Atk / 132 SAtk / 212 Spd because you lose the bonus point from Sp. Atk because of the IV drop even when running 136. Make sure to run 31 atk IV instead of 31 def ;0

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Interesting set there. Well, in the first one, having 2 grass moves sucks, you should use something like Sleep Power over Power Whip. Also, considering Sunny Day would be a good idea on Exeggutor cause it can help for the weather war and you can keep the momentum with chlorophyl.
Why not considering another set for Exegg ? I mean, the special sweeper like venusaur. Something like that paired with Dugtrio to trap Heatran :

Modest 4 HP / 252 Satk / 252 Spd
- Sleep Powder
- Energy Ball / Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Psychic / Sunny Day

A short comment on Sunny Day cause you didnt talk about it in every set. This move is really important on chlorophyl sweepers like venusaur / tangrowth / exeggutor because you can keep the momentum and the pressure on your opponent.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, the formatting of the set analysis is correct for the first one, but incorrect for the sets below (it's [Set Comments] and [Additional Comments], not [set] and [set comments]. Teammates goes into AC, not in the Counter section at the end. Checks and Counters section at the end should also beef up more.

I also agree with Ojama that having 2 grass moves, despite being physical and special, is sort of sucky and drastically reduces the versatility of that set. Unlike Ojama's suggestion, I'd rather have Psychic + Grass STAB than 2 Grass STABs definitely. With the prevalence of Tornadus-T and Salamence, not being able to touch these Flying-types is undesirable in this new metagame, imo. If you end up removing Wood Hammer, investing in more SpA may be better.

This is contradictory to what shrang and others have supported in the past, though, so more input on this would be welcomed here.

I do agree with shrang that Exeggutor wants to at least outrun base Spe 130. I think an even faster spread with +ve Speed nature may deserve at least an OO mention, so Eggy can revenge-kill neutral +Spe ScarfMence, too, and stop it from pummeling through the rest of the team (although, if Eggy is coupled with another Chlorophyll Sweeper, this may be less necessary).

Alright the bolded stuff if what Pocket mentioned about having two Grass STAB's, the EV's since HP Fire is slashed so you would only tie 130's, and Psychic vs Psyshock (what does Psychic hit harder that already isn't one-shotted?)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so I assume by the lack of skeleton that this is ready for GP, but let me fix some things. Go C+P this:

[Overview]

<p>Arguably one of the strongest Pokemon and popular Pokemon of the RBY generation, Exeggutor role in the fifth generation couldn't be further from his Gen 1 counterpart. With the introduction of Drought into the OU metagame, Exeggutor can employ Chlorophyll to great effect by becoming a mean wallbreaker. Exeggutor's excellent movepool allows it to hit a variety of targets that might otherwise be problematic for sun teams. However, Exeggutor's new role in BW does have its drawbacks. Unlike its Generation 1 counterpart, Exeggutor has atrocious special defense, meaning even resisted special hits can dent it. Furthermore Chlorophyll can only do so much to improve his speed since its base 55 speed still makes sure many Scarfers can still outrun it. But with the right teammates, Exeggutor will surely prove that two, possibly three, heads are better than one.</p>

[SET]
evs: 164 Atk / 136 SpA / 208 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Immediately what pops out of Exeggutor's stat spread is his massive base 125 attack stat, however Exeggutor has a good enough attack stat to go mixed. For many Sun teams and Chlorophyll sweepers, Heatran and Tyranitar often are problematic. Exeggutor has the ability to bring in both them and OHKO them, allowing for other offensive team mates to sweep. Exeggutor isn't limited to hurting just Heatran and Tyranitar as it has the coverage and the speed (in the sun) to dent just about any target.</p>

<p> In the first slot a special STAB of choice is used to hammer targets from Exeggutor's massive special attack stat. Leaf Storm is Exeggutor's most powerful move and the resulting special attack drop does not affect the power of his physical moves. However, Psychic is an equally good option, being able to hit Dragonite and the omnipresent Tornadus and Thunderus hard. Psychic also comes with the benefit of having a consistent special attack to work off of and not conflicting with Wood Hammer in terms of coverage. Speaking of Wood Hammer, it is Exeggutor's primary physical STAB attack with huge amount of power. Even though it causes recoil that could stack up with Life Orb, its power is appreciated for the ability to OHKO 252 HP/0 Tyranitar with the given EV's. Exeggutor's second target, Heatran, is handily KO'ed by Nature Power which becomes Earthquake in WiFi battles.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In the last slot, Exeggutor can between Hidden Power Fire and Sleep Powder. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit the large amount of Steels in that could wall Exeggutor and have a pseudo-STAB in the Sun. However Sleep Powder can be used to take an opponents Pokemon right out of the match, which is very helpful for the offensive teams that Exeggutor might find himself on. When using Nature Power it is important to note that it counts as a non-attacking move, so it is stopped by Taunt, but it also means Exeggutor can work around Sucker Punch users it might fall prey to. It is possible to run a Naive nature outspeed +Speed-natured Scarf Salamence, but it does compromise Exeggutor's power.</p>

</p>For obvious reasons, Exeggutor should always be paired up with Ninetales. However on a sun team, Exeggutor is best paired with only Chlorophyll sweepers. While being paired with other Chlorophyll Sweepers, Exeggutor can break down the Pokemon that would impair their sweep. Faster Chlorophyll Sweepers, like Venausaur and Victreebell, can reciprocate help to Exeggutor by outspeeding the Scarfers who would threaten it such as Scarf Landorus. Pokemon that enjoy Heatran and Tyranitar removed to not be impediments in their sweep also make good partners with Exeggutor. Volcarona is one of the best, since it can sweep teams that rely on Heatran to check it and it can set up on Scizor, a Pokemon who may give Exeggutor trouble. Since Exeggutor runs Life Orb and most likely will be using Wood Hammer, minimizing hazard damage will help with its already short longevity. Forretress and Donphan make great choices for spinners on Sun teams and they both offer Stealth Rock to assist Exeggutor to get KO's.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Having the highest special attack stat out of all Chlorophyll users an all-out special attacking set is a natural choice for Exeggutor. Under the sun Exeggutor can outspeed all of the unscarfed OU metagame, meaning it can release its power to its full potential. Given the opportunities to do damage the opponent's team will find themselves worn down after repeated hits. Leaf Storm is the crux of this set as it can cause huge amount of damage to those who even resist it such as doing over half to Latios. While Leaf Storm's power is immense, it should be used with caution due to the special attack drop which is quite limiting an all special set. For a secondary STAB Psyshock or Psychic can be used. Psyshock is preferred STAB move as it can break through both Blissey and Chansey, a great asset for a special attacker. In the third slot, Hidden Power Fire is used for valuable coverage against Steel-types and a third "STAB" option in the sun. Overall, an all-out attacking special set will keep the opponent guessing on a tight-rope on what is going to take big damage next.

<p>The choice between Life Orb and Choice Specs makes all-the-difference on how Exeggutor will be played throughout the match, so one should choose wisely. Life Orb means Exeggutor has much more staying power to hit available targets and lightens up on prediction. Both of these factors make Exeggutor have a better capacity to sweep opposing teams. Meanwhile, Choice Specs offers better longevity and power, but is heavier on prediction. If one opts to go with Choice Specs, Exeggutor becomes a powerful wall breaker for sun teams and it can check threats better in sunlight, including Keldeo. Both are equally good options, but the item selection should be done on what role Exeggutor fits best on your team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In the last slot, a variety of options can be chosen with each bringing various benefits. Giga Drain is the primary slash since it gives you a Grass STAB that is consistent and for the ability to heal Life Orb recoil, however it is out of place on the Choice Specs variant. If one finds Heatran too much of an impediment to ones sweep, Nature Power can be used to remove a weakened Heatran from the field. Lastly, Sleep Powder can be used to cripple an opponent's Pokemon, an invaluable asset to use on something as power as Exeggutor. Low Kick is not suggested to be used due to Leaf Storm already doing a hefty chunk to Tyranitar and being too weak to do any real damage to Heatran.

<p>Of course to get Exeggutor to function at its best, Drought Ninetales is a must to pair with Exeggutor. As for offensive teammates to pair with, ones that can remove the pesky special dragons and Heatran from the field are appreciated. Snorlax is execellent for this purpose on a Sun team, as it can sponge special attacks from Dragons with relative ease and can smack them with a powerful Normal-STAB move or trap them with Pursuit. Meanwhile, it can come in onto Heatran with a resistance thanks to Thick Fat and hit it with an Earthquake. Dugtrio is also useful, since it can trap Heatran and proceed to kill it with a STAB Earthquake. As with Mixed Exeggutor, an accompanying Chlorophyll sweeper can be used as a dynamic offensive duo to weakened eachother counters. Venausaur is one of the best, since it still has the potential to weaken counters of Chlorophyll sweepers or lure them in with a physical set using either Return or Earthquake to target Latias or Heatran respectively.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Exeggutor's stat spread indicates otherwise, Exeggutor can in fact make great use of Swords Dance to become a frightening sweeper. Normally Chlorophyll sweepers draw their power from the physical side of the spectrum, however Exeggutor with Swords Dance provides an unexpected, yet effective option. Swords Dance is Exeggutor's best boosting move and it takes advantage of Exeggutor's limited but precise physical movepool. Exeggutor is one of the few Pokemon to get Wood Hammer, the strongest physical grass move, in its movepool. Stacked on top of STAB, a Swords Dance boost, and speed from sunlight teams without a strong Grass resist will crumble. For example, after a Swords Dance even Latios will find himself always OHKOed with Stealth Rock, and sometimes without it. Although Seed Bomb could be used to prevent recoil damage from accumulating, the power drop from Wood Hammer is quite significant.</p>

<p>Where Swords Dance Exeggutor really shine is its ability to seamlessly pass through Heatran and Tyranitar, Pokemon who are otherwise problematic for Sun teams. Both Nature Power and Low Kick take care of Heatran and Tyranitar (without Wood Hammer recoil) handily. The choice is dependent on which Steel-types you would like to target and take out. With Low Kick, you will be able to take care of Ferrothorn easily as well as having the capability hit Hydreigon hard. However, Low Kick can do nothing to Jirachi and does not obtain the OHKO on Metagross as Nature Power would be able to do. Nature Power can also be used to bypass Sucker Punch users. Nevertheless, Low Kick is the preferred option due to being able to hit a larger variety of targets.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In the last slot Zen Headbutt can be used as a secondary STAB move. Zen Headbutt with Low Kick offers great coverage and since Zen Headbutt is STAB, it is the best option to hit targets that resist Wood Hammer that are not Steel-type. Dragonite, Salamence, and the popular Tonadus-T all take a large amount of damage from Zen Headbutt. Zen Headbutt also is great for having the ability to use a STAB move outside of the recoil causing Wood Hammer. However, if you find Steel types problematic, especially Skarmory and Scizor, Hidden Power Fire can be used instead. Because of sunlight, Life Orb, and Exeggutor's naturally high special attack stat, it still retains the ability to OHKO both of these threats after Stealth Rock with ease. Take note that Hidden Power Fire is an inferior option because the Fire moves to take care of Steel types are in ample supply and power already on Sun teams.</p>

<p>Unlike other Exeggutor sets, Swords Dance Exeggutor is almost entirely physical, and thus will need very different team mates. Latias has the ability to resist your entire moveset, threaten heavy damage with Dragon Pulse, and recover. Meanwhile Scarf Latios has the ability to outspeed and possibly KO you with Draco Metoer or Hidden Power Fire. Thus, Snorlax makes an excellent partner for Exeggutor, handily sponging the special moves Latios and Latias can dish out and being able to remove them with Crunch or Pursuit. Magnezone can be used to destroy and trap the steel types that give Exeggutor trouble, and it enjoys the boost that Sun gives Hidden Power Fire. Exeggutor will probably elect to use Wood Hammer so a Rapid Spin user, such as Donphan or Forretress, should be used to extend its life span from recoil damage. Lastly, Exeggutor should be used with an offensive partner that can soften up or outright kill steels. Salamence and Dragonite are excellent in this regard due to being able to lure out Steel-types and receiving a boost to their Fire moves in sunlight.

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p> Like many other Grass-types Exeggutor can employ a SubSeed set and depending on its ability of choice, it can play in two different styles. With Chlorophyll Exeggutor acts as a fast SubSeeder and a decent check to fighting types with its good physical bulk. Interestinly with Harvest and Sitrius Berry, Exeggutor is one of the only SubSeeders that can completely recover the health lost from a substitute. But when running Harvest you will be very slow, so caution should be taken against faster special attackers. Generally, Exeggutor's SubSeeding sets are medicore and are better done by other Pokemon who could do it similarly but are either faster and more reliable, such as Vensasaur and Breloom respectively.</p>

<p>Oftentimes Sun teams use a Pokemon with Sunny Day to reintroduce their weather effect onto the field and Exeggutor is one of those Pokemon who could fulfill this job. With a SunnyBeam set Exeggutor can use Solarbeam which does not drop its special attack life Leaf Storm. However, Exeggutor will find himself in a pickle when it has to skirt around using it main STAB move and will be liable to being pursuit trapped if Tyranitar switches in as a check. Lastly, Exeggutor can support a team and use Trick Room on its own with its low speed. As one of the only Pokemon with Trick Room and a more reliable sleeping move than Hypnosis in Sleep Powder, it can find a free turn to set up Trick Room easily. Note if you do use a Trick Room set that it is necessary to put Harvest as the ability to make sure you don't get a speed boost in sunlight!</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Exeggutor is powerful, it falls to Pokemon who can prey on its pitiful special defense. Latios and Latias resists most of its moveset and can damage it with their Dragon moves with their high special attack. Volcarona can resist it Grass moves and proceed to setup Quiver Dance or outright KO Exeggutor with a Bug or Fire move. Without Psychic STAB or Hidden Power Ice, Dragonite can take a hit behind Multiscale and hit back with a Sun boosted Fire move. While Exeggutor has some decent physical bulk, Scizor is a threat because it can come in on a predicted Grass move and can kill a weakened Exeggutor with a Bullet Punch or Pursuit trap it. While Exeggutor can remove most Tyranitar, Choice Scarf Tyranitar makes an excellent check because it can remove sunlight which allows it to outspeed to kill with either Pursuit or Crunch. Lastly, if Exeggutor lacks either Low Kick or Nature Power, Heatran can wall it like many other Chlorophyll users. Generally what counters Exeggutor is fully dependent on its moveset.</p>
I basically fixed the formatting so it looks nicer, so go have fun with it. The EV spread looks fine. I also fixed some facts, like Latios sometimes getting OHKO'd by +2 Wood Hammer, and sometimes without.

EDIT: also wtf +2 Wood Hammer doesn't OHKO Hydreigon. Disappointing, but that doesn't make the Swords Dance set look less fun than it already does.

Pocket

Since HP Fire is the primary slash, the EV spread should account for the IV drop. 156 Atk / 140 SpA / 212 Spe should be the spread to keep the special attack jump and be faster than base 130. Exeggutor still has 87.5% chance to OHKO TTar after SR (originally 93.7% after SR), so the slight attack drop is inconsequential.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
The problem I see with Mixed is that Wood Hammer just isn't strong enough. Special Attacker's Psyshock is nearly as strong as mixed Wood Hammer (effective attack stat of 400.2 when using Wood Hammer vs. 383 Special Attack using Psyshock). Its major appeal is in killing Tyranitar--which Low Kick on Special Attacker can do too--but you sacrifice a lot of Special Attack and Speed EVs, as well as suffering recoil after each use. Basically, mixed should be removed while Special Attacker be made the primary set, with a choice of Nature Power or Low Kick in the last slot instead of Giga Drain.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If this is written and good for GP checks, you might as well change the tag to (Copyediting)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
An amateur check

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Arguably one of the strongest Pokemon and popular Pokemon of the RBY Generation, Exeggutor's role in the fifth generation couldn't be further from its Gen 1 counterpart. With the introduction of Drought into the OU metagame, Exeggutor can employ Chlorophyll to great effect as by becoming a mean wallbreaker. Exeggutor's excellent movepool allows it to hit a variety of targets that might otherwise be problematic for sun teams. However, Exeggutor's new role in BW does have its drawbacks. Unlike its Generation 1 counterpart, Exeggutor has atrocious special defense, meaning even resisted special hits can dent it. Furthermore, (add comma) Chlorophyll can only do so much to improve his speed, (add comma) since its base 55 speed still allows makes sure many Choice Scarf Pokemon Scarfers to can still outrun it. But with the right teammates, Exeggutor will surely prove that two, possibly three, heads are better than one.</p>

[SET]
evs: 156 Atk / 140 SpA / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Immediately what pops out of Exeggutor's stat spread is its massive base 125 Special Attack stat, however but Exeggutor also has a good enough Attack stat to go mixed. For many Sun teams and Chlorophyll sweepers, Heatran and Tyranitar are often problematic. Exeggutor has the ability to bring in both them and OHKO them, allowing for other offensive teammates to sweep. Exeggutor isn't limited to hurting just Heatran and Tyranitar, (add comma) as it has the coverage and the speed (in the sun) to dent just about any target.</p>

<p> In the first slot a special STAB of choice is used to hammer targets from Exeggutor's massive Special Attack stat. Leaf Storm is Exeggutor's most powerful move and the resulting Special Attack drop does not affect the power of its physical moves. However, Psychic is an equally good option, being able to hit Dragonite and the omnipresent Tornadus and Thundurus hard. Psychic also comes with the benefit of having a consistent Special Attack to work off of and not conflicting with Wood Hammer in terms of coverage. Speaking of Wood Hammer, it is Exeggutor's primary physical STAB attack with huge amount of power. Even though it causes recoil that could stack up with Life Orb, its power is appreciated for the ability to OHKO 252 HP/0 Tyranitar with the given EVs. Exeggutor's second target, Heatran, is handily KOed by Nature Power, (add comma) which becomes Earthquake in WiFi battles.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In the last slot, Exeggutor can choose between Hidden Power Fire and Sleep Powder. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit the large amount of Steels in that could wall Exeggutor and has a pseudo-STAB in the Sun. However, (add comma) Sleep Powder can be used to take an opponents Pokemon right out of the match, which is very helpful for the offensive teams that Exeggutor might find himself on. When using Nature Power it is important to note that it counts as a non-attacking move, so it is stopped by Taunt, but it also means Exeggutor can work around Sucker Punch users it might fall prey to. It is possible to run a Naive nature outspeed +Speed-natured (I'm really not sure on how this should work. Not at ALL) Scarfed Salamence, but it does compromise Exeggutor's power.</p>

</p>For obvious reasons, Exeggutor should always be paired up with Ninetales. However, (add comma) on a sun team, Exeggutor is best paired with only Chlorophyll sweepers, (add comma) as While being paired with other Chlorophyll Sweepers, Exeggutor can break down the Pokemon that would impair their sweep. Faster Chlorophyll Sweepers, like Venausaur and Victreebell, can reciprocate help to Exeggutor by outspeeding the Choice Scarf users who would threaten it, (add comma) such as Scarf Landorus. Pokemon that enjoy Heatran and Tyranitar removed to not be impediments in their sweep also make good partners with Exeggutor. Volcarona is one of the best, since it can sweep teams that rely on Heatran to check it and it can set up on Scizor, a Pokemon who may give Exeggutor trouble. Since Exeggutor runs Life Orb and most likely will be using Wood Hammer, minimizing hazard damage will help with its already short longevity. Forretress and Donphan make great choices for spinners on Sun teams and they both offer Stealth Rock to assist Exeggutor to get KOs.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Having the highest Special Attack stat out of all Chlorophyll users, (add comma) an all-out special attacking set is a natural choice for Exeggutor. Under the sun Exeggutor can outspeed all of the unscarfed OU metagame, meaning it can release its power to its full potential. Given the many opportunities Exeggutor has to do damage, (add comma) the opponent's team will find themselves worn down after repeated hits. Leaf Storm is the crux of this set, (add comma) as it can cause huge amount of damage to even those who resist it, (add comma) such as doing over half to Latios. While Leaf Storm's power is immense, it should be used with caution due to the Special Attack drop which is quite limiting an all special set. For a secondary STAB, (add comma) Psyshock or Psychic can be used. Psyshock is the preferred option,STAB move as it can break through both Blissey and Chansey, a great asset for a special attacker. In the third slot, Hidden Power Fire is used for valuable coverage against Steel-types and a third "STAB" option in the sun. Overall, an all-out attacking special set will keep the opponent guessing on a tightrope on what is going to take big damage next.

<p>The choice between Life Orb and Choice Specs makes all the difference on how Exeggutor will be played throughout the match, so one should choose wisely. Life Orb means Exeggutor has much more staying power to hit available targets (But it's constantly taking recoil damage?)and lightens up on prediction. Life orb wears Exeggutor down over time, but allows it the to switch moves. (I hope this captures what you were trying to say) Both of these factors make This gives Exeggutor have a better chance capacity to sweep opposing teams. Meanwhile, Choice Specs offers better longevity and power, but is heavier on prediction. If one opts to go with Choice Specs, Exeggutor becomes a powerful wall breaker for sun teams but loses the option to take on multiple foes at once. and it can check threats better in sunlight, including Keldeo. Both are equally good options, but the item selection should be based on what role Exeggutor fits best on your team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In the last slot, a variety of options can be chosen, (add comma) with each bringing various benefits. Giga Drain is the primary slash since it gives Exeggutor a consistent Grass STAB that is and for the ability to heal Life Orb recoil, but is out of place on the Choice Specs variant. If one finds Heatran too much of an impediment to ones sweep, Nature Power can be used to remove a weakened Heatran from the field. Lastly, Sleep Powder can be used to cripple an opponent's Pokemon, an invaluable asset to use on something as power as Exeggutor. Low Kick is not suggested to be used due to Leaf Storm already doing a hefty chunk to Tyranitar and being too weak to do any real damage to Heatran.

<p>Of course To get Exeggutor to function at its best, Drought Ninetales is a must to pair with Exeggutor. As for offensive teammates to pair with, ones that can remove the pesky special dragons and Heatran from the field are appreciated. Snorlax is execellent for this purpose on a Sun team, as it can sponge special attaks from Dragons with relative ease and can smack them with a powerful Normal-STAB move or trap them with Pursuit. Meanwhile, it can come in onto Heatran with a resistance thanks to Thick Fat and hit it with an Earthquake. Dugtrio is also useful, since it can trap Heatran and proceed to kill it with a STAB Earthquake. As with Mixed Exeggutor, an accompanying Chlorophyll sweeper can be used as a dynamic offensive duo to weakened eachother counters. Venausaur is one of the best, since it still has the potential to weaken counters of Chlorophyll sweepers or lure them in with a physical set using either Return or Earthquake to target Latias or Heatran, (add comma) respectively.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Exeggutor's stat spread indicates otherwise, Exeggutor can in fact make great use of Swords Dance to become a frightening sweeper. Normally Chlorophyll sweepers draw their power from the physical side of the spectrum,(I don't understand what this means) however Exeggutor with Swords Dance provides an unexpected, yet effective option. Swords Dance is Exeggutor's best boosting move and it takes advantage of Exeggutor's limited but precise physical movepool. Exeggutor is one of the few Pokemon to get Wood Hammer, the strongest physical grass move, in its movepool. Stacked on top of STAB, a Swords Dance boost, and speed from sunlight, (add comma) teams without a strong Grass resist will quickly crumble. For example, after a Swords Dance even Latios will find himself always OHKOed with Stealth Rock, and sometimes without it. Although Seed Bomb could be used to prevent recoil damage from accumulating, the power drop from Wood Hammer is quite significant.</p>

<p>Where Swords Dance Exeggutor really shines is its ability to seamlessly pass through Heatran and Tyranitar, Pokemon who are otherwise problematic for Sun teams. Both Nature Power and Low Kick take care of Heatran and Tyranitar them handily, without Wood Hammer recoil. The choice is dependent on which Steel-types you would like to target and take out. With Low Kick, you will be able to take care of Ferrothorn easily, (add comma) as well as having the capability hit Hydreigon hard. However, Low Kick can do nothing to Jirachi and does not obtain the OHKO on Metagross that Nature Power would be able to do. Nature Power can also be used to bypass Sucker Punch users. Nevertheless, Low Kick is the preferred option, (add comma) due to being able to hit a larger variety of targets.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In the last slot Zen Headbutt can be used as a secondary STAB move. Zen Headbutt with Low Kick offers great coverage, (add comma) and since Zen Headbutt is STAB, it is the best option to hit targets that resist Wood Hammer that are not Steel-type. Dragonite, Salamence, and the popular Tonadus-T all take a large amount of damage from Zen Headbutt. Zen Headbutt also is great for having the ability to use a STAB move outside of the recoil causing Wood Hammer. However, if you find Steel types problematic, especially Skarmory and Scizor, Hidden Power Fire can be used instead. Because of sunlight, Life Orb, and Exeggutor's naturally high Special Attack stat, it still retains the ability to OHKO both of these threats after Stealth Rock with ease. Take note that Hidden Power Fire is an inferior option because the Fire moves to take care of Steel types are in ample supply and power already on Sun teams.</p>

<p>Unlike other Exeggutor sets, Swords Dance Exeggutor is almost entirely physical, and thus will need very different team mates. Latias has the ability to resist its entire moveset, threaten heavy damage with Dragon Pulse, and recover off the damage. Meanwhile, (add comma) Scarf Latios has the ability to outspeed and possibly KO Exeggutor with Draco Metoer or Hidden Power Fire. Thus, Snorlax makes an excellent partner for Exeggutor, handily sponging the special moves Latios and Latias can dish out and is being able to remove them with Crunch or Pursuit. Magnezone can be used to destroy and trap the Steel-types that give Exeggutor trouble, and it enjoys the boost that Sun gives to Hidden Power Fire. Exeggutor will probably elect to use Wood Hammer, (add comma) so a Rapid Spin user, such as Donphan or Forretress, should be used to extend its life span from recoil damage. Lastly, Exeggutor should be used with an offensive partner that can soften up or outright kill Steel-types. Salamence and Dragonite are excellent in this regard due to being able to lure out Steel-types and receive a boost to their Fire-type moves in sunlight.

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p> Like many other Grass-types, (add comma) Exeggutor can employ a SubSeed set and depending on its ability of choice, it can play in two different styles. With Chlorophyll, (add comma) Exeggutor acts as a fast SubSeeder and a decent check to fighting types with its good physical bulk. However, with Harvest and Sitrius Berry, Exeggutor is one of the only SubSeeders that can completely recover the health lost from a substitute. But when running Harvest Exeggutor will be very slow, so caution should be taken against faster special attackers. Generally, Exeggutor's SubSeeding sets are medicore and are better done by other Pokemon who could do it similarly but are either faster and more reliable, such as Vensasaur and Breloom respectively.</p>

<p>Oftentimes Sun teams use a Pokemon with Sunny Day to reintroduce their weather effect onto the field, (add comma) and Exeggutor is one of those Pokemon who could fulfill this job. With a SunnyBeam set Exeggutor can use Solarbeam without worrying about a Special Attack dropwhich does not drop its special attack life Leaf Storm. However, Exeggutor will find himself in a pickle when it has to skirt around using it main STAB move and will likely bebe liable to being pursuit trapped if Tyranitar switches in as a check. Lastly, Exeggutor can support a team and use Trick Room on its own with its low speed. As one of the only Pokemon with Trick Room and a more reliable sleeping move than Hypnosis in Sleep Powder, it can find a free turn to set up Trick Room easily. Note if you do use a Trick Room set that it is necessary to use Harvest as the ability to make sure you don't get a speed boost in sunlight!</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Exeggutor is powerful, it falls to Pokemon who can prey on its pitiful Special Defense. Latios and Latias resist most of its moveset and can damage it with their Dragon-type moves and highS pecial Attack. Volcarona can resist its Grass moves and proceed to set up Quiver Dance or outright KO Exeggutor with a Bug- or Fire-type move. Without Psychic STAB or Hidden Power Ice, Dragonite can take a hit behind Multiscale and hit back with a Sun boosted Fire-type move. While Exeggutor has some decent physical bulk, Scizor is a threat because it can come in on a predicted Grass move and can kill a weakened Exeggutor with a Bullet Punch or Pursuit trap it. While Exeggutor can remove most Tyranitar variants, Choice Scarf Tyranitar makes an excellent check because it can remove sunlight which allows it to outspeed to and kill Exeggutor with either Pursuit or Crunch. Choice Scarf Terrakion and Choice Scarf Landorus can outspeed and hit with a 4x super effective Bug-type move to possibly (I don't think it's going to survive one) KO Exeggutor. Lastly, if Exeggutor lacks either Low Kick or Nature Power, Heatran can wall it like many other Chlorophyll users. Generally, (add comma) what counters for Exeggutor is depend fully on its moveset.</p>
'

A couple things:
Pokemon are its, not hims or yous.
Stats, like Special Attack, Attack, or Special Defense, should be capitalized.

I know they are its I guess I missed quite a few

It should say "normally hit from the special side" not physical

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)