Slowking (Choice Specs) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Surf
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Trick
move 4: Psyshock / Ice Beam
item: Choice Specs
ability: Regenerator
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Slowking usually fulfils a more defensive role, this set uses the element of surprise as well as Slowking's great Special Attack to nab KOes against unsuspecting teams. Slowking boasts considerable bulk, as well as an excellent offensive movepool, both of which ensure it is not outclassed by other offensive Water-types, such as Starmie and Rotom-W. Slowking hits extremely hard under rain, and still retains its good bulk even when running an offensive EV spread. These two assets enable Slowking to counter rain teams, as well as Keldeo, effectively. Checking Keldeo and other Water-type attackers is the main advantage Slowking has over its physically bulky brother, Slowbro, as Slowbro has very similar stats and movepool to Slowking aside from a lower Special Defense stat. This set is meant for more balanced teams that appreciate Pokemon such as Slowking that hit hard and yet are bulky at the same time.</p>

<p>Although Slowking does not have access to Hydro Pump, Surf does more than enough damage, especially in rain. Nothing is going to like taking a Surf, as it can OHKO pretty much anything not named Blissey or Chansey that does not resist it under rain. Fire Blast is reserved pretty much just for Ferrothorn, as Surf does more to other Steel-types, but it does more than Ice Beam to Celebi and other Grass-types under neutral weather. Psyshock is Slowking's other STAB and is mainly for Keldeo, which Slowking checks extremely well. It also hits the pink blobs, which otherwise wall Slowking, for a sizeable chunk of damage. Ice Beam is an option if hitting Keldeo is not of utmost concern, as Slowking will otherwise struggle against Dragon-types. Latios in particular gives Slowking a lot of trouble, as Slowking cannot survive more than one Draco Meteor unless it invests heavily in Special Defense. Trick is the crux of the set, as it allows Slowking to rid itself of its Choice Specs and cripple bulky opponents such as Blissey and Chansey that can otherwise wall Slowking, rendering them incapable of walling much for the remainder of the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EVs, Slowking has the best possible balance between bulk and power. There is no use investing in Speed, as Slowking's Speed stat is painfully low and even with investment, Slowking remains incapable of outspeeding anything worthwhile. On top of this, Slowking enjoys the bulk that max HP provides, as this investment enables it to check Keldeo and other rain sweepers with greater ease. Slowking's offensive movepool includes a few other options to hit more specific targets. Signal Beam or Shadow Ball are great for super effective coverage against Latias, Latios, Celebi, and Starmie. The choice lies in whether you want to hit Celebi harder, in which case use Signal Beam, or give Jellicent trouble, in which case you should use Shadow Ball. Grass Knot can be used to hit other Water-types for super effective damage, but Starmie is hit hard enough by Surf and Jellicent by Shadow Ball if you chose to run it, as Shadow Ball grants better coverage than Grass Knot. Slack Off can be run to give Slowking greater longevity once it has Tricked away its Choice Specs. This also gives Slowking the chance to wall more threats once it has lost its Choice Specs, although it does lack the bulk to wall the strongest of special attackers.</p>

<p>Although this set can function without rain support, Politoed's Drizzle gives Surf a much needed boost in power, and is therefore appreciated. Slowking forces a lot of switches, so using a hazard-setter such as Forretress or Ferrothorn is an excellent option to capitalize on these switches. Ferrothorn also resists all of Slowking's weaknesses, which gives it great synergy defensively as well. Teammates such as Choice Scarf Salamence, Choice Specs Tornadus-T, and Choice Scarf Thundurus-T are excellent partners, as they can all weaken or break past walls. For example, Slowking can weaken most of the opponent's walls, followed up by one of those Pokemon to finish off the rest of the opposing team, or vice versa. Swords Dance Breloom is also an excellent partner, as Swords Dance-boosted Mach Punch is a great way to finish off weakened teams that Slowking can leave in its wake. Other Pokemon you might want to consider include Life Orb Latios and Rock Polish Genesect due their late-game cleaning capabilities.</p>

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, at this point I've spent approximately 3 1/2 - 4 hours testing sets, and here's what I've got:

Tank
- The best EV spread is 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD Calm. This allows Slowking to always survive two Hydro Pumps from Choice Specs Keldeo.

- Ice Beam is useless, Scald and Flamethrower/Psyshock hit what they need to hit, and Ice Beam just doesn't bring a whole lot to the table.

- A Regenerator core with Amoonguss is pretty neat, I'll make a mention of it.

Defensive Nasty Plot
- It's not good. It doesn't hit hard enough (even tried offensive EVs), it has trouble taking hits without Slack Off, and it struggles to find opportunity to setup, as well as automatically losing to any strong physical attacker. I'm going to take it out and leave it at the bottom in hide tags.

Trick Room
- This set was a huge surprise for me. I tried the offensive spread, which wasn't great, but with the defensive spread I found it did a decent job at picking apart weakened teams and still taking hits once Trick Room is off the field.

- Focus Blast is horrible, Tyranitar doesn't make a difference when you have Surf.

- Nasty Plot seemed to be too much to setup with Trick Room, so that will be in AC.

Choice Specs
- I really liked this set. 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA Modest was great, though I found Psyshock better than Ice Beam. It hit really hard with rain (essentially required support). Trick + Slack Off was neat, but I preferred having 3 attacks for the coverage, so that will be the last slash in the third slot.

I'm going to start drafting up a skeleton now.

EDIT: Finished the skeleton.

EDIT2: made the overview less overstated with the defenses

In my opinion, you should stress exactly why one would use Specs Slowking instead of Specs Slowbro, that is being able to counter special attackers like Keldeo. Really, if the sets are completely identical (except that Slowbro's doesn't mention the now available Trick), people will question why they'd want to use the King. Maybe it could run an even bulkier spread so that it counters more stuff? I don't know, it's just what I think, since we want Slowking to be viable in OU, it should be stressed what its perks are, I'm not sure the current set has anything over Slowbro besides being the best counter to Keldeo in existance...
Maybe I'm wrong, if so please say it, I just want to help

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I believe Psyshock should be non-negotiable. Slowking can live any hit from Keldeo, including +1 Life Orb HP Ghost and take a crap on it with Psyshock, so I just don't see why you'd pass it up. Maybe slash Ice Beam / Slack Off with Fire Blast? I can see why both moves would be useful (Ice Beam hitting D-nite/Salamence on the switch), but Fire Blast nails Ferrothorn who otherwise walls you so that may be pushing it.

Jukain

!_!
In my opinion, you should stress exactly why one would use Specs Slowking instead of Specs Slowbro, that is being able to counter special attackers like Keldeo. Really, if the sets are completely identical (except that Slowbro's doesn't mention the now available Trick), people will question why they'd want to use the King. Maybe it could run an even bulkier spread so that it counters more stuff? I don't know, it's just what I think, since we want Slowking to be viable in OU, it should be stressed what its perks are, I'm not sure the current set has anything over Slowbro besides being the best counter to Keldeo in existance...
Maybe I'm wrong, if so please say it, I just want to help
I can mention that it is different than Slowbro because of its ability to counter special attackers, sure.
I believe Psyshock should be non-negotiable. Slowking can live any hit from Keldeo, including +1 Life Orb HP Ghost and take a crap on it with Psyshock, so I just don't see why you'd pass it up. Maybe slash Ice Beam / Slack Off with Fire Blast? I can see why both moves would be useful (Ice Beam hitting D-nite/Salamence on the switch), but Fire Blast nails Ferrothorn who otherwise walls you so that may be pushing it.
Fire Blast is non-negotiable, hitting Steel-types is extremely important. So is Trick, and so is Surf. I am not giving Psyshock its own slot just for a Pokemon that is #28 in usage. Unless I am specifically told by QC to do so, I don't really think that Fire Blast is negotiable.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fire Blast hits Ferro, who you can cripple with Trick anyways, Psyshock hits a Pokemon that can easily tear a team apart in seconds. I would rather keep Psyshock as the main slash, as Keldeo is much harder to deal with than Ferrothorn, who again, you cripple with Trick anyways(plus, Ferro will be in rain most of the time, so its not like you're OHKOing it)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, Fire Blast only really hits Ferrothorn. Physically defensive Forretress is OHKOed by Surf after SR in rain anyway, Scizor is OHKOed by Surf in rain regardless of whether or not SR is up, as is Genesect. Since AC even recommends it for use in rain, Surf hits all Steel-types that are not 4x weak to Fire harder than Fire Blast in rain.

edit: Damn it TrollFreak, ninja'ing me

Jukain

!_!
Fire Blast hits Ferro, who you can cripple with Trick anyways, Psyshock hits a Pokemon that can easily tear a team apart in seconds. I would rather keep Psyshock as the main slash, as Keldeo is much harder to deal with than Ferrothorn, who again, you cripple with Trick anyways(plus, Ferro will be in rain most of the time, so its not like you're OHKOing it)
Alright, I've been convinced. I'm slashing Ice Beam and Slack Off with Fire Blast.

EDIT: after a little more input

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
AC mention Signal Beam and Shadow Ball for super-effective coverage against Latias, Latios, Celebi, and Starmie. Signal Beam is especially handy against Celebi, but Shadow Ball makes Jellicent's life a lot harder.

I would remove Slack Off and drop it to AC - it already has Regenerator for healing and it really appreciates the coverage moves.

Please note that Psyshock is not only useful for Keldeo, but also for special sponges, such as Gastrodon (although physically defensive are also on the rise) and Blissey.

Jukain

!_!
AC mention Signal Beam and Shadow Ball for super-effective coverage against Latias, Latios, Celebi, and Starmie. Signal Beam is especially handy against Celebi, but Shadow Ball makes Jellicent's life a lot harder.

I would remove Slack Off and drop it to AC - it already has Regenerator for healing and it really appreciates the coverage moves.

Please note that Psyshock is not only useful for Keldeo, but also for special sponges, such as Gastrodon (although physically defensive are also on the rise) and Blissey.
Made all of these changes.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amateur check
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[SET]
name: Slowking (Choice Specs)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While most Slowking are relegated to a defensive role, this set aims to surprise those expecting a more defensive set and hit them hard. For such a bulky Pokemon, Slowking has a great Special Attack stat to work with. Speaking of its bulk, it is the major advantage Slowking has over other Choice Specs users such as Starmie and Rotom-W, the other being its great offensive movepool. Especially under rain, Slowking hits really hard, and can even take most of the hits more defensive variants can take, working excellently against opposing rain teams. If your team is in need of something that hits hard and can take hits from the likes of Keldeo, look no further than this Slowking, as it is excellent at filling both roles. Checking Keldeo and other Water-type attackers is its main advantage over its physically bulky brother, Slowbro, as Slowbro has basically all of the same traits as Slowking aside from its Special Defense other than that. This set is meant for more balanced teams that appreciate Pokemon like Slowking that hit hard and yet are bulky at the same time.</p>

<p>Although Slowking does not have access to the coveted Hydro Pump, Surf hits more than hard enough, especially in rain. Nothing is going to like taking a Surf, as it can OHKO pretty much anything not named Blissey or Chansey that does not resist it under rain. While it is no Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump, it is more than adequate for taking out pretty much any adversary. Fire Blast is reserved pretty much just for Ferrothorn, as Surf does more to other Steel-types, but it does do more to Celebi and other Grass-types under neutral weather than Ice Beam. Psyshock is its other STAB and is mainly for Keldeo, which Slowking checks extremely well. It also hits the pink blobs, which otherwise wall Slowking. Ice Beam is an option if hitting Keldeo is not of utmost concern, as Slowking will otherwise struggle against Dragon-types, especially against Latios, (AC) which Slowking can comfortably take a Draco Meteor from if required, though it cannot take more than two without investment in Special Defense that is simply not an option with this set. Trick is the crux of the set, as it allows Slowking to rid itself of its Choice Specs and cripple bulky opponents such as Blissey and Chansey that can otherwise wall this Slowking, rendering them incapable of walling basically anything for the remainder of the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EVs, Slowking has the best possible mixture of bulk and power. There is no use investing in Speed, as Slowking's Speed stat is painfully low and there is nothing near Slowking's speed tier that is worth investing EVs to outspeed, and Slowking does enjoy the bulk that max HP provides, as it makes it so it can still fulfill its role of checking Keldeo and other rain sweepers. Slowking's offensive movepool includes a few other options to hit more specific targets. Signal Beam or Shadow Ball is great for super effective coverage against Latias, Latios, Celebi, and Starmie. The choice lies in whether you want to hit Celebi harder, which Signal Beam is best for, or give Jellicent trouble, in which case you use Shadow Ball which Shadow Ball is best for. Grass Knot can be used to hit other Water-types for super effective damage, but Starmie is hard enough by Surf and Jellicent by Shadow Ball if you chose to run it, as Shadow Ball gains better coverage hits more things than Grass Knot. Slack Off can even be used, as once Slowking's item is tricked away, it may enjoy having recovery so it can wall more effectively, and in combination with it and the Leftovers it may receive from a defensive Pokemon can essentially turn Slowking into its usual walling set, albeit a notable amount less bulky.</p>

<p>When running this Slowking, Politoed is essentially required for the maximum damage output possible with Surf, and although this set can function without rain, it is much less threatening outside of it. It loves entry hazards, so using something like Forretress or Ferrothorn is excellent with it. Ferrothorn also resists all of Slowking's weaknesses, which gives it great synergy defensively as well. Teammates such as Choice Scarf Salamence, Choice Specs Tornadus-T, and Choice Scarf Thundurus-T are excellent partners, as they all share one thing in common in that they can punch holes in teams. For example, Slowking can weaken most of the opponent's walls punch some holes in a team, followed up by one of those Pokemon to finish off the rest of the opposing team, and occasionally vice versa. Swords Dance Breloom is also an excellent partner, as Swords Dance-boosted Mach Punch is a great way to finish off weakened teams that Slowking can leave in its wake. Those are all just a few examples, as pretty much anything that can clean out weakened teams will appreciate Slowking's offensive and defensive support.</p>

Such as > like in almost every case

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus

[SET]
name: Slowking (Choice Specs)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While most Slowking are relegated to aAlthough Slowking usually fulfils a more defensive role, this set aims to surpriuses those expecting a more defensive lement of surpriset and hit them hard. For such a bulky Pokemon, Slowking has a great Special Attack to work with. Speaking of its bulk, it is the major advantage Slowking has over other Choice Specs users such as Starmie and Rotom-W, the other being its great offensive movepool. Especially under rain, Slowking hits really hard, and can take most of the hits more defensive variants can take, working excellently against opposing rain teams. If your team is in need of something that hits hard and can take hits from the likes of Keldeo, look no further than this Slowking, as it is excellent at filling both roless well as Slowking's great Special Attack to nab KOes against unsuspecting teams. Slowking boasts considerable bulk, as well as an excellent offensive movepool, both of which ensure it is not outclassed by other offensive Water-types, such as Starmie and Rotom-W. Slowking hits extremely hard under rain, and still retains its good bulk even when running an offensive EV spread. These two assets enable Slowking to counter rain teams, as well as Keldeo, effectively. Checking Keldeo and other Water-type attackers is itsthe main advantage Slowking has over its physically bulky brother, Slowbro, as Slowbro has basically all of the same traits asvery similar stats and movepool to Slowking aside from itsa lower Special Defense stat. This set is meant for more balanced teams that appreciate Pokemon like Slowking that hit hard and yet are bulky at the same time.</p>

<p>Although Slowking does not have access to the coveted Hydro Pump, Surf hitdoes more than hard enough damage, especially in rain. Nothing is going to like taking a Surf, as it can OHKO pretty much anything not named Blissey or Chansey that does not resist it under rain. While it is no Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump, it is more than adequate for taking out pretty much any adversary. Fire Blast is reserved pretty much just for Ferrothorn, as Surf does more to other Steel-types, but it does do more to Celebi and other Grass-types under neutral weather than Ice Beam. Psyshock is itSlowking's other STAB and is mainly for Keldeo, which Slowking checks extremely well. It also hits the pink blobs, which otherwise wall Slowking, for a sizeable chunk of damage. Ice Beam is an option if hitting Keldeo is not of utmost concern, as Slowking will otherwise struggle against Dragon-types, especially against Latios, (AC) which Slowking can comfortably take a Draco Meteor from if required, though it cannot take more than two without investment. Latios in particular gives Slowking a lot of trouble, as Slowking cannot survive more than one Draco Meteor unless it invests heavily in Special Defense. Trick is the crux of the set, as it allows Slowking to rid itself of its Choice Specs and cripple bulky opponents such as Blissey and Chansey that can otherwise wall this Slowking, rendering them incapable of walling anythingmuch for the remainder of the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EVs, Slowking has the best possible balance betweenmixture of bulk and power. There is no use investing in Speed, as Slowking's Speed stat is painfully low and even withere is noth investment, Slowking remains incapable of outspeeding anything worthwhile. Ong near Slowking's speed tier that is worth investing EVs top of this,utspeed, and Slowking does enjoys the bulk that max HP provides, as this investment enables it toit makes it so it can still fulfill its role of checking Keldeo and other rain sweepers with greater ease. Slowking's offensive movepool includes a few other options to hit more specific targets. Signal Beam or Shadow Ball areis great for super effective coverage against Latias, Latios, Celebi, and Starmie. The choice lies in whether you want to hit Celebi harder, in which case use Signal Beam is best for, or give Jellicent trouble, in which case you should use Shadow Ball. Grass Knot can be used to hit other Water-types for super effective damage, but Starmie is hit hard enough by Surf and Jellicent by Shadow Ball if you chose to run it, as Shadow Ball grantains better coverage than Grass Knot. Slack Off can be run to give Slowking greater longevity once it has Teven be used, as once Slowking's item is tricked away, its Choice Specs. This also gives Slowking the may enjoy having recovery so it chance to wall more threats once it has lost its Specs, although it does lack the bulk to wall the strongest of special attackerseffectively, and in combination with it and the Leftovers it may receive from a defensive Pokemon can essentially turn Slowking into its usual walling set, albeit a notable amount less bulky.</p>

<p>Although this set can function without rain support, Politoed's Drizzle gives Surf a much needed boost in power, and is therefore appreciated. Slowking forces a lot of switches, so using a hazard-setter such asWhen running this Slowking, Politoed is essentially required for the maximum damage output possible with Surf, and although this set can function without rain, it is much less threatening outside of it. It loves entry hazards, so using Forretress or Ferrothorn is an excellent option to capitalize on these switches. Ferrothorn also resists all of Slowking's weaknesses, which gives it great synergy defensively as well. Teammates such as Choice Scarf Salamence, Choice Specs Tornadus-T, and Choice Scarf Thundurus-T are excellent partners, as they can all weaken or break past wallcan punch holes in teams. For example, Slowking can weaken most of the opponent's walls, followed up by one of those Pokemon to finish off the rest of the opposing team, orand vice versa. Swords Dance Breloom is also an excellent partner, as Swords Dance-boosted Mach Punch is a great way to finish off weakened teams that Slowking can leave in its wake. Those are all just a few examples, as pretty much anything that can clean out weakened teams will appreciate Slowking's offensive and defensive support.</p>
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Slowking usually fulfils a more defensive role, this set uses the element of surprise as well as Slowking's great Special Attack to nab KOes against unsuspecting teams. Slowking boasts considerable bulk, as well as an excellent offensive movepool, both of which ensure it is not outclassed by other offensive Water-types, such as Starmie and Rotom-W. Slowking hits extremely hard under rain, and still retains its good bulk even when running an offensive EV spread. These two assets enable Slowking to counter rain teams, as well as Keldeo, effectively. Checking Keldeo and other Water-type attackers is the main advantage Slowking has over its physically bulky brother, Slowbro, as Slowbro has very similar stats and movepool to Slowking aside from a lower Special Defense stat. This set is meant for more balanced teams that appreciate Pokemon like Slowking that hit hard and yet are bulky at the same time.</p>

<p>Although Slowking does not have access to Hydro Pump, Surf does more than enough damage, especially in rain. Nothing is going to like taking a Surf, as it can OHKO pretty much anything not named Blissey or Chansey that does not resist it under rain. Fire Blast is reserved pretty much just for Ferrothorn, as Surf does more to other Steel-types, but it does do more to Celebi and other Grass-types under neutral weather than Ice Beam. Psyshock is Slowking's other STAB and is mainly for Keldeo, which Slowking checks extremely well. It also hits the pink blobs, which otherwise wall Slowking, for a sizeable chunk of damage. Ice Beam is an option if hitting Keldeo is not of utmost concern, as Slowking will otherwise struggle against Dragon-types. Latios in particular gives Slowking a lot of trouble, as Slowking cannot survive more than one Draco Meteor unless it invests heavily in Special Defense. Trick is the crux of the set, as it allows Slowking to rid itself of its Choice Specs and cripple bulky opponents such as Blissey and Chansey that can otherwise wall Slowking, rendering them incapable of walling much for the remainder of the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EVs, Slowking has the best possible balance between bulk and power. There is no use investing in Speed, as Slowking's Speed stat is painfully low and even with investment, Slowking remains incapable of outspeeding anything worthwhile. On top of this, Slowking enjoys the bulk that max HP provides, as this investment enables it to check Keldeo and other rain sweepers with greater ease. Slowking's offensive movepool includes a few other options to hit more specific targets. Signal Beam or Shadow Ball are great for super effective coverage against Latias, Latios, Celebi, and Starmie. The choice lies in whether you want to hit Celebi harder, in which case use Signal Beam, or give Jellicent trouble, in which case you should use Shadow Ball. Grass Knot can be used to hit other Water-types for super effective damage, but Starmie is hit hard enough by Surf and Jellicent by Shadow Ball if you chose to run it, as Shadow Ball grants better coverage than Grass Knot. Slack Off can be run to give Slowking greater longevity once it has Tricked away its Choice Specs. This also gives Slowking the chance to wall more threats once it has lost its Specs, although it does lack the bulk to wall the strongest of special attackers.</p>

<p>Although this set can function without rain support, Politoed's Drizzle gives Surf a much needed boost in power, and is therefore appreciated. Slowking forces a lot of switches, so using a hazard-setter such as Forretress or Ferrothorn is an excellent option to capitalize on these switches. Ferrothorn also resists all of Slowking's weaknesses, which gives it great synergy defensively as well. Teammates such as Choice Scarf Salamence, Choice Specs Tornadus-T, and Choice Scarf Thundurus-T are excellent partners, as they can all weaken or break past walls. For example, Slowking can weaken most of the opponent's walls, followed up by one of those Pokemon to finish off the rest of the opposing team, or vice versa. Swords Dance Breloom is also an excellent partner, as Swords Dance-boosted Mach Punch is a great way to finish off weakened teams that Slowking can leave in its wake. Those are all just a few examples, as pretty much anything that can clean out weakened teams will appreciate Slowking's offensive and defensive support.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

OK, that was way too much red ink!!

There weren't really any Pokegrammar problems, it's just that your prose was really confusing and misleading in places. Try to read over your work and see if you can phrase anything in a more elegant fashion before posting it; would be a great help. Finally, the second paragraph in the AC needs expanding; you can't just say "Slowking is basically good with anything" and call it a day. Give some more specific examples.

Jukain

!_!
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Slowking usually fulfils a more defensive role, this set uses the element of surprise as well as Slowking's great Special Attack to nab KOes against unsuspecting teams. Slowking boasts considerable bulk, as well as an excellent offensive movepool, both of which ensure it is not outclassed by other offensive Water-types, such as Starmie and Rotom-W. Slowking hits extremely hard under rain, and still retains its good bulk even when running an offensive EV spread. These two assets enable Slowking to counter rain teams, as well as Keldeo, effectively. Checking Keldeo and other Water-type attackers is the main advantage Slowking has over its physically bulky brother, Slowbro, as Slowbro has very similar stats and movepool to Slowking aside from a lower Special Defense stat. This set is meant for more balanced teams that appreciate Pokemon like Slowking that hit hard and yet are bulky at the same time.</p>

<p>Although Slowking does not have access to Hydro Pump, Surf does more than enough damage, especially in rain. Nothing is going to like taking a Surf, as it can OHKO pretty much anything not named Blissey or Chansey that does not resist it under rain. Fire Blast is reserved pretty much just for Ferrothorn, as Surf does more to other Steel-types, but it does do more to Celebi and other Grass-types under neutral weather than Ice Beam. Psyshock is Slowking's other STAB and is mainly for Keldeo, which Slowking checks extremely well. It also hits the pink blobs, which otherwise wall Slowking, for a sizeable chunk of damage. Ice Beam is an option if hitting Keldeo is not of utmost concern, as Slowking will otherwise struggle against Dragon-types. Latios in particular gives Slowking a lot of trouble, as Slowking cannot survive more than one Draco Meteor unless it invests heavily in Special Defense. Trick is the crux of the set, as it allows Slowking to rid itself of its Choice Specs and cripple bulky opponents such as Blissey and Chansey that can otherwise wall Slowking, rendering them incapable of walling much for the remainder of the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EVs, Slowking has the best possible balance between bulk and power. There is no use investing in Speed, as Slowking's Speed stat is painfully low and even with investment, Slowking remains incapable of outspeeding anything worthwhile. On top of this, Slowking enjoys the bulk that max HP provides, as this investment enables it to check Keldeo and other rain sweepers with greater ease. Slowking's offensive movepool includes a few other options to hit more specific targets. Signal Beam or Shadow Ball are great for super effective coverage against Latias, Latios, Celebi, and Starmie. The choice lies in whether you want to hit Celebi harder, in which case use Signal Beam, or give Jellicent trouble, in which case you should use Shadow Ball. Grass Knot can be used to hit other Water-types for super effective damage, but Starmie is hit hard enough by Surf and Jellicent by Shadow Ball if you chose to run it, as Shadow Ball grants better coverage than Grass Knot. Slack Off can be run to give Slowking greater longevity once it has Tricked away its Choice Specs. This also gives Slowking the chance to wall more threats once it has lost its Specs, although it does lack the bulk to wall the strongest of special attackers.</p>

<p>Although this set can function without rain support, Politoed's Drizzle gives Surf a much needed boost in power, and is therefore appreciated. Slowking forces a lot of switches, so using a hazard-setter such as Forretress or Ferrothorn is an excellent option to capitalize on these switches. Ferrothorn also resists all of Slowking's weaknesses, which gives it great synergy defensively as well. Teammates such as Choice Scarf Salamence, Choice Specs Tornadus-T, and Choice Scarf Thundurus-T are excellent partners, as they can all weaken or break past walls. For example, Slowking can weaken most of the opponent's walls, followed up by one of those Pokemon to finish off the rest of the opposing team, or vice versa. Swords Dance Breloom is also an excellent partner, as Swords Dance-boosted Mach Punch is a great way to finish off weakened teams that Slowking can leave in its wake. Those are all just a few examples, as pretty much anything that can clean out weakened teams will appreciate Slowking's offensive and defensive support.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

OK, that was way too much red ink!!

There weren't really any Pokegrammar problems, it's just that your prose was really confusing and misleading in places. Try to read over your work and see if you can phrase anything in a more elegant fashion before posting it; would be a great help. Finally, the second paragraph in the AC needs expanding; you can't just say "Slowking is basically good with anything" and call it a day. Give some more specific examples.
Alright, thanks for the check, I will expand.the AC.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Slowking usually fulfils a more defensive role, this set uses the element of surprise, as well as Slowking's great Special Attack to nab KOes against unsuspecting teams. Slowking boasts considerable special bulk, as well as an excellent offensive movepool, both of which ensure it is not outclassed by other offensive Water-types, such as Starmie and Rotom-W. Slowking hits extremely hard under rain, and still retains its good bulk even when running an offensive EV spread. These two assets enable Slowking to counter rain teams, as well as check Keldeo, effectively. Checking Keldeo and other Water-type attackers is the main advantage Slowking has over its physically bulky brother, Slowbro, as Slowbro has very similar stats and movepool to Slowking aside from a lower Special Defense stat. This set is meant for more balanced teams that appreciate Pokemon like Slowking that hit hard and yet are bulky at the same time.</p>

<p>Although Slowking does not have access to Hydro Pump, Surf does more than enough damage, especially in rain. Nothing is going to like taking a Surf, as it can OHKO pretty much anything not named Blissey or Chansey that does not resist it under rain. Fire Blast is reserved pretty much just for Ferrothorn, as Surf does more to other Steel-types, but it does do more than Ice Beam to Celebi and other Grass-types under neutral weather than Ice Beam. Psyshock is Slowking's other STAB and is mainly for Keldeo, which Slowking checks extremely well. It also hits the pink blobs, which otherwise wall Slowking, for a sizeable chunk of damage. Ice Beam is an option if hitting Keldeo is not of utmost concern, as Slowking will otherwise struggle against Dragon-types. Latios in particular gives Slowking a lot of trouble, as Slowking cannot survive more than one Draco Meteor unless it invests heavily in Special Defense. Trick is the crux of the set, as it allows Slowking to rid itself of its Choice Specs and cripple bulky opponents such as Blissey and Chansey that can otherwise wall Slowking, rendering them incapable of walling much for the remainder of the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Although this set can function without rain support, Politoed's Drizzle gives Surf a much needed boost in power, and is therefore appreciated. Slowking forces a lot of switches, so using a hazard-setter such as Forretress or Ferrothorn is an excellent option to capitalize on these switches. Ferrothorn also resists all of Slowking's weaknesses, which gives it great synergy defensively as well. Teammates such as Choice Scarf Salamence, Choice Specs Tornadus-T, and Choice Scarf Thundurus-T are excellent partners, as they can all weaken or break past walls. For example, Slowking can weaken most of the opponent's walls, followed up by one of those Pokemon to finish off the rest of the opposing team, or vice versa. Swords Dance Breloom is also an excellent partner, as Swords Dance-boosted Mach Punch is a great way to finish off weakened teams that Slowking can leave in its wake. Other Pokemon you might want to consider include Life Orb Latios and Rock Polish Genesect due their late-game cleaning capabilities.</p>
amcheck

Jukain

!_!
Thanks for the check Poppy, I implemented your change at that sentence sounds so much better. Thanks! Can I have an official GP check or just some stamp Poppy's (I can't find much else to be changed) and then this can go on-site?

Stamping Poppy's check, with 2 additions:

First paragraph, last sentence: This set is meant for more balanced teams that appreciate Pokemon like such as Slowking that hit hard and yet are bulky at the same time.

Third paragraph, last sentence: This also gives Slowking the chance to wall more threats once it has lost its Choice Specs, although it does lack the bulk to wall the strongest of special attackers.

Good check, Poppy ^.^
[gp]2/2[/gp]

Jukain

!_!
Stamping Poppy's check, with 2 additions:

First paragraph, last sentence: This set is meant for more balanced teams that appreciate Pokemon like such as Slowking that hit hard and yet are bulky at the same time.

Third paragraph, last sentence: This also gives Slowking the chance to wall more threats once it has lost its Choice Specs, although it does lack the bulk to wall the strongest of special attackers.

Good check, Poppy ^.^
[gp]2/2[/gp]
Upload this please! :DDDDDDDDD made your additions Jellicent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)