Sandslash (OU Analysis) [QC: 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

[Overview]

<p>Sandslash is a Pokemon riddled with very exploitable weaknesses. With pitiful Speed and Special Defense stats, as well as a rather small offensive movepool, it's completely natural to reject the idea of using Sandslash in OU initially. However, with its Dream World ability&mdash;Sand Rush&mdash;Sandslash becomes a notable threat in the OU metagame. Being a Ground-type, Sandslash has access to a good physical movepool, passable bulk, and impeccable coverage in the celebrated EdgeQuake combination. Moreover, Sandslash can use Rapid Spin to great success&mdash;a feat which gives Sandslash even more of a reason to be used over its Sand Rush rival, Stoutland.</p>

<p>Despite all of its mentioned perks, Sandslash is by no means invincible. There are many, many Pokemon that can place Sandslash in a tight situation, usually through means of harping on its average offenses, feeble Special Defense stat, and / or inability to outpace a few notable threats after a Sand Rush boost. Proper team support and, more importantly, patience, are necessary when using Sandslash.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Rapid Spin / X-Scissor
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
nature: Jolly / Adamant
ability: Sand Rush
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sandslash can pull off a Swords Dance set similar in playstyle to Excadrill's to great success. After the activation of Sand Rush, Sandslash can reach a Speed stat as high as 502, giving it the ability to easily outpace and subsequently KO many of the more offensively oriented Pokemon in OU. The above choice of moves is ideal for Sandslash if it's to be used in OU. Swords Dance is the crux of this set, quickly boosting Sandslash's Attack stat to threatening levels. When backed by a Swords Dance boost, Sandslash is even capable of powering through some of OU's premier walls, which is something that Stoutland occasionally struggles with. Earthquake, being Sandslash's strongest STAB option, is capable of blasting through many of OU's grounded inhabitants while Stone Edge nails most of what resists or is immune to Earthquake. The use of Rock Slide in the place of Stone Edge will give Sandslash more reliable KOs on Volcarona, Salamence, and Thundurus-T, but the drop in power is clearly noticeable. However, the lack of power can be made up for in Rock Slide's flinch rate; very resilient Pokemon, namely Skarmory, will have a tough time getting past the potential flinch hax. Rapid Spin helps Sandslash maintain pressure on more defensive teams and gives it the ability to greatly support its own team; however, X-Scissor lets Sandslash power through bulky Psychic-types that take little or no damage from Earthquake, such as Celebi and Latias. It's important to note that even without Rapid Spin, Sandslash brings a lot of utility to its team due to being a potent revenge killer. Make the moveset choices which best accommodate your team.</p>

<p>The recommended EV spread is one that aims to simply give Sandslash as much speed and power as possible. With a Jolly nature, Sandslash can outpace many threatening Choice Scarf users, such as Genesect and Thundurus-T, and KO them with the appropriate attack. A Jolly nature also ensures that Sandslash will be able to revenge kill all variants of Salamence, Haxorus, and Volcarona if they manage to net a single Speed boost from Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance, respectively. An Adamant nature is still a possibility on this Sandslash set as the power may come to be of use.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is recommended as the item of choice here as the power it gives to Sandslash is needed to muscle through some of OU's premier defensive Pokemon. Jellicent and 4/0 Breloom, for example, can be OHKOed by a Life Orb-boosted +2 Earthquake (though, keep in mind that said KOs are much easier to attain with an Adamant nature; if Sandslash is using a Jolly nature instead, it will very often fall short). If Sandslash's longevity is of more importance than its damage output, then running a Lum Berry instead of Life Orb could be greatly beneficial. With a Lum Berry, Sandslash can afford to stay in on many defensive Pokemon, such as Jellicent and Jirachi, without much worry of being crippled by status. On a similar note, try to stay away from using Leftovers. Leftovers, while tempting to use alongside Sandslash's fine physical bulk, is nowhere close to being as useful as a Lum Berry or Life Orb. If Sandslash's lifespan is truly that much of a concern, then use Wish support. Teammates exist for a reason; make use of the other five slots that Sandslash will be accompanied by.</p>

<p>Due to Sandslash's reliance on sandstorm being up and difficulty getting around physical walls, Tyranitar makes a superb partner for it. Tyranitar, with either a mixed or Choice Band set, can take out most of the Pokemon that give Sandslash problems while setting up a permanent sandstorm. If Sandslash is not using Rapid Spin, then it will attract many common users of Spikes and Stealth Rock, such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Hippowdon. This makes packing a user of Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce, particularly Xatu for its greater longevity, a very beneficial move. Gothitelle can trap and KO pretty much everything that Sandslash normally has trouble with, making it a fine choice as well if there's room for it on Sandslash's team. Sandslash functions very well on offensive sand-based teams for obvious reasons; however, do keep in mind that a non-Choice item using revenge killer with Rapid Spin is also very valuable for stall and bulky offense teams. Generally though, Sandslash should be played rather conservatively in the earlier stages of a match, not going for risky moves until its threats have been snuffed out and planned against. Simply keep up the pressure until a path has been paved for Sandslash to ram through the opposing team. Patience is key to using this Sandslash.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Unfortunately for Sandslash, its movepool is pretty dry, leaving it very few options to use. Like Excadrill, Sandslash can use Return for very good neutral coverage; Return also hits Flying-types and Levitating targets much more reliably than Stone Edge. With access to Stealth Rock, potent revenge killing capability granted by Sand Rush, and Super Fang, Sandslash can run a defensive set. However, running such a set will only waste Sandslash's potential, not to mention that other bulky Pokemon, such as Landorus-T and Forretress, greatly outclass defensive Sandslash. Night Slash can be used for a similar reason against Gengar, but Stone Edge already does more than enough damage to quickly dispose of it. Sandslash can also make use of the move Sandstorm as a clutch method of maintaining weather control while also setting up a sweep for itself. Don't take this option too seriously though, as Sandslash will have a lot of trouble fitting Sandstorm onto the recommended set. As far as other items go, Sandslash can use Soft Sand for the purpose of powering up its already strong STAB Earthquake without the recoil of Life Orb.</p>

<p>It's possible to adjust the given spread to your liking as Sandslash could potentially benefit from the added bulk. For example, removing 44 EVs from Sandslash's Speed to outpace everything up to and including Naive Choice Scarf Genesect and moving them to Sandslash's Special Defense allows Sandslash to always survive defensive Celebi's Giga Drain. Feel free to experiment with Sandslash's EV spread, but keep note that Sandslash will more often than not be better off with maxed out Speed and Attack.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Foremost, changing the weather will effectively neuter Sandslash, quickly changing it into a slow, minor threat. Physical walls and sponges obviously work very well against Sandslash. Gliscor, Skarmory, bulky Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Tangrowth are just some examples of Pokemon that can place Sandslash in a sticky situation. It's also worth noting that Sandslash, while extremely fast in a sandstorm, can still be outpaced by a good portion of OU, namely Choice Scarf Latios and Starmie, and OHKOed by the appropriate move. Though, physically based Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Mienshao, must be careful because Sandslash, if left healthy, can survive a hit and OHKO them in return. Priority attacks are also useful against stopping a Sandslash sweep, but Sandslash has to have been weakened a bit beforehand before it can be revenge KOed by then. In the end, checking Sandslash will boil down to exploiting its mediocre offensive stats. Don't be intimidated by Sandslash's Speed stat as, with the appropriate Pokemon, it can be swiftly brought down through calm and intelligent play.</p>

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've actually tested Sandslash and it is really, really decent. Obviously not top-tier OU or anywhere as good as Excadrill was, but it definitely hold it's own very well. You're right in saying that defensive Sandslash sucks. There is no point in running that, since he needs all the strength he needs. Unlike Excadrill, Sandslash cannot use 0 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature and still hit like a truck. However, I personally don't think Rapid Spin should be the most important thing about the set. I think Sandslash should just be an offensive Swords Dancer, who can use Rapid Spin if you wanted to. So, I think it should just be:

[SET]

X-Scissor is generally more useful than all of his other moves, since it hits Latias and stuff hitter. Rapid Spin is still the best option in the last slot because he's the pretty much the only Pokemon that can do this in OU (apart from my lol Cloyster set), but he is perfectly viable as a sweeper.

Another thing I want to note is that Jolly becomes the preferred nature. Yes, you do now miss the OHKO on 252/252+ Jellicent, which is a pity, but the sheer number of things you can now outspeed and revenge-kill is phenomenal. With a Jolly nature, you outspeed +1 Thundurus-T, Landorus, Salamence, Volcarona, Haxorus and Kyurem. This is just too good to miss, IMO.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Chillarmy you could also mention the use of Earth Plate in AC. With an Adamant nature, and after a boost, Sandslash is doing 82.87 - 97.76% to 248/216+ Jellicent, which is a 68.75% chance to OHKO after SR (lefties are ignored due to sandstorm). This is pretty awesome because it means that Sandslash can get past any OU spinnner, as Excadril did, without jeopardizing his bulk with LO (losing 10% of your life to spin sucks, Starmie can get away with it because he has Recover and can 2hko any spin-blocker without boosting).

I like going 20 hp / 252 atk / 236 speed with adamant to get by scarf rotom since, from experience, jolly makes you lose a lot of power wanted to get by jellicent. I like what shrang put except I'd mention return in ac since stone edge is a piece of shit and it gives an okay alternative though you can't hit gar. Using it over sd works too

I like the look of this, looking forward to testing it later
I'd like to point out though that while super fang would be an awesome implementation, it can only be used at the sacrifice of sand rush, which would ruin the effectiveness of the set (correct me if I'm wrong?)
Other than that, I think the best set is lum + sd/rock slide/earthquake/rs, only because a simple miss from stone edge can pretty much cost him his life against any bulky water switch (if jolly)
I'll edit once I fool around with him a bit :)

Edit
@what princess bri said, I agree that return could be much more beneficial than stone edge, though I think I'd still opt for rock slide for further coverage. both are fine though :P

Chillarmy you could also mention the use of Earth Plate in AC. With an Adamant nature, and after a boost, Sandslash is doing 82.87 - 97.76% to 248/216+ Jellicent, which is a 68.75% chance to OHKO after SR (lefties are ignored due to sandstorm). This is pretty awesome because it means that Sandslash can get past any OU spinnner, as Excadril did, without jeopardizing his bulk with LO (losing 10% of your life to spin sucks, Starmie can get away with it because it has Recover and can 2hko any spin-blocker without boosting).
Starmie has no gender last time I checked. Yeah, I'm a nerd that way. Actually if you replace that Ground Plate or Soft Sand with a Muscle Band, Sandslash's Earthquake does 81.4% to 96% to 248/216+ Jellicent which is just barely a OHKO with Sandstorm and Stealth Rock in play. I personally haven't played enough to see how much of a treat Jellicent is a threat to Sandslash but I think the Muscle Band deserves a mention in other options despite it's lacklustre boost compared to other items.

Sorry for the late reply, everyone!

Starmie has no gender last time I checked. Yeah, I'm a nerd that way. Actually if you replace that Ground Plate or Soft Sand with a Muscle Band, Sandslash's Earthquake does 81.4% to 96% to 248/216+ Jellicent which is just barely a OHKO with Sandstorm and Stealth Rock in play. I personally haven't played enough to see how much of a treat Jellicent is a threat to Sandslash but I think the Muscle Band deserves a mention in other options despite it's lacklustre boost compared to other items.
Muscle Band will go in OO.

I like the look of this, looking forward to testing it later
I'd like to point out though that while super fang would be an awesome implementation, it can only be used at the sacrifice of sand rush, which would ruin the effectiveness of the set (correct me if I'm wrong?)
Other than that, I think the best set is lum + sd/rock slide/earthquake/rs, only because a simple miss from stone edge can pretty much cost him his life against any bulky water switch (if jolly)
I'll edit once I fool around with him a bit :)

Edit
@what princess bri said, I agree that return could be much more beneficial than stone edge, though I think I'd still opt for rock slide for further coverage. both are fine though :P
Super Fang is a BW2 tutor move. In addition to that, DW Sandshrew comes with Super Fang.

I like going 20 hp / 252 atk / 236 speed with adamant to get by scarf rotom since, from experience, jolly makes you lose a lot of power wanted to get by jellicent. I like what shrang put except I'd mention return in ac since stone edge is a piece of shit and it gives an okay alternative though you can't hit gar. Using it over sd works too
Already ahead of you on that spread =3

and wtfffffffffffffffffffffff I was positive that Frustation was already in AC. (Re)Adding it.

Chillarmy you could also mention the use of Earth Plate in AC. With an Adamant nature, and after a boost, Sandslash is doing 82.87 - 97.76% to 248/216+ Jellicent, which is a 68.75% chance to OHKO after SR (lefties are ignored due to sandstorm). This is pretty awesome because it means that Sandslash can get past any OU spinnner, as Excadril did, without jeopardizing his bulk with LO (losing 10% of your life to spin sucks, Starmie can get away with it because he has Recover and can 2hko any spin-blocker without boosting).
Done.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lol don't mention muscle band - the 10% power boost is not worth the item slot.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, just a few suggestions:

REMOVE MUSCLE BAND - not even an OO D:<

Make sure to specify that you need Adamant Nature to OHKO Bold Jellicent with +2 Soft Sand EQ, and only on average (so it's not even guaranteed). With SR support of course. This is important to clarify, since the primary nature is Jolly.

Jolly Sandslash needs 20 EVs to reach 188 Speed, not 8.

Remove 182 speed tier, since outrunning Tornadus-T is essential.

Specify that Ice Shard calc is coming from an Adamant Mamoswine, since Jolly Mamoswine exists and does much less.

Also Landorus-T and Tangrowth as other reliable Sandslash counters.

Mention how hanging the weather with Politoed / Ninetales / Abomasnow makes it easy to revenge kill Sandslash.

EDIT: Also mention that there are Scarfers that can revenge-kill Sandslash, namely Scarf Latios and Scarf Gengar. Adamant Sandslash are checked by even more Scarf mons.

The skeleton has been updated with various specifications and small fixes, as well as several forgotten checks.

Thanks for the approval, Pocket!

Finished writing this up. Feel free to rip it apart, GPers.

edit: After reflecting upon the current state of this analysis, I've come to the conclusion that rewriting it is the best option atm. I'll have the refined version of this up ASAP

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
You asked me to check this for you, but I just couldn't get past that overview. It just reads horribly. It sounds like you are trying to be clever, but in the end is just confusing and occasionally wrong. It's almost like you wrote it using a thesaurus. Please rewrite.

I hope the rest of the analysis is better.

Am check Placeholder :)
Deletions
Additions
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Sandslash is a Pokemon riddledpossessing with very exploitable weaknesses. With pitiful Speed and Special Defense stats, as well as a rather small offensive movepool, it's completely natural to reject the idealaugh at the idea of using Sandslash in OU initially. However, with its HiddenDream World Ability --&mdash; Sand Rush --&mdash; Sandslash becomes a notable threat in the OU metagame. Being a Ground-type, Sandslash has access to a good physical movepool, passable bulk, and impeccable coverage in the celebrated "QuakeEdge" combination. Moreover, Sandslash can use Rapid Spin to great success -- a feat which gives Sandslash even more of a reasons to be used over its Sand Rush rival, Stoutland.</p>

<p>Though despite all of its mentioned perks, Sandslash is by no means invincible. There are many, many Pokemon whichthatcan place Sandslash in a tighttough It sounded better in my opinion situation, usually through means of harping on its average offenses, feeble Special Defense stat, and / or inability to outpace a few notable threats after a Sand Rush boost. Proper team support and, more importantly, patience, are necessary when using Sandslash.</p>

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SDefSpd / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sandslash can pull off a Swords Dance set, similar in playstyle and format to Excadrill's to great success. With a maximum Speed stat of 502, Sandslash can outpace and subsequently KO many of the more offensively oriented Pokemon in OU. The above choice of moves is ideal for Sandslash if it's to be used in OU. Swords Dance is the crux of this set, quickly boosting Sandslash's Attack stat to threatening levels. When backed by a Swords Dance boost, Sandslash is even capable of powering through some of OU's premier walls, which is something that Stoutland occasionally struggles with. Earthquake, being Sandslash's strongest STAB option, is capable of blasting through many of OU's grounded inhabitants while Stone Edge nails most of what resists or is immune to Earthquake. Rapid Spin helps Sandslash maintain pressure on more defensive teams and gives it the ability to greatly support its own team; however, X-Scissor lets Sandslash power through bulky Psychic-types that take little or no damage from Earthquake, such as Celebi and Latias. It's important to note that even without Rapid Spin, Sandslash is a very good utility to its team due to being a potent revenge killer. Don't feel uncomfortable about using either Rapid Spin or X-Scissor Make the choice that best accommodates your team.</p>

<p>The recommended stat spread is one that aims to simply give Sandslash as much speed and power as possible. With a Jolly nature, Sandslash can outpace many threatening Choice Scarf users, such as Genesect and Thundurus-T, and KO them with the appropriate attack. A Jolly nature also ensures that Sandslash will be able to revenge KO all variants of Salamence, Haxorus, and Volcarona if they manage to net a single Speed boost from Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance, respectively. Don't reject the idea of usingHowever, an Adamant nature is still a possibilityforon this Sandslash set, though, as the power may come to be of use. For instance, Adamant Sandslash will always 2HKO physically defensive Jellicent with Earthquake before a boost and OHKO after, whereas Sandslash utilizing a Jolly nature will fall short of said KOs very often, even with Stealth Rock support.</p>
I think you should move this paragraph to AC

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is recommended as the item of choice here as the power which Sandslash gains from itit gives to Sandslash is needed to muscle through some of OU's premier defensive Pokemonwalls. Jellicent and 4/0 Breloom, for example, can be OHKOed by a Life Orb boosted +2 Earthquake that is backed by the power boost from Life Orb (though, keep in mind that said KOs are much easier to attain with an Adamant nature; if Sandslash is using a Jolly nature instead, it will very often fall short). If Sandslash's longevity is of more importance than its damage output, then running a Lum Berry instead of Life Orb could be greatly beneficial. With a Lum Berry, Sandslash can afford to stay in on many defensive Pokemon, such as Jellicent and Jirachi without much worry of being crippled by status. Try to steerstay away from using Leftovers as much as possible. Leftovers, while tempting to use alongside Sandslash's fine physical bulk, is not anywherenowhere close to being as useful as a Lum Berry or a Life Orb. If Sandslash's life span is truly that much of a concern, then use Wish support. Teammates exist for a reason; make use of the other five slots which Sandslash will be accompanied by.</p>

<p>Due to Sandslash's reliance on sandstorm being up and difficulty getting around physical walls, Tyranitar makes a superb partner for it. Tyranitar, with either a mixed or Choice Band set, can smashtake out most of the Pokemon which give Sandslash problems while setting up a permanent sandstorm. If Sandslash is not using Rapid Spin, then it will attract many common users of Spikes and Stealth Rock, such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Hippowdon. This makes packing a user of Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce, particularly Xatu, a very beneficial move. Gothitelle can trap and KO pretty much everything that Sandslash normally has trouble with, making it a fine choice as well if there's room for it on Sandslash's team. Sandslash functions very well on offensive sand-based teams for obvious reasons; however, do keep in mind that a non-Choiced revenge killer with Rapid Spin is also very valuable for stall and bulky offense teams. Generally though, Sandslash should be played rather conservatively in the earlier stages of a match, not going for risky moves until its threats have been snuffed out and planned against. Simply keep up the pressure until a path has been paved for Sandslash to ram through the opposing team. Patience is key to using this Sandslash.-- don't forget that!</p>

[Other Options]

<p>With Stealth Rock, potent revenge killing capability in Sand Rush, and Super Fang, a defensive set sounds great in theory. However, running such a set will only waste Sandslash's potential, not to mention that other bulky Pokemon outclass defensive Sandslash. The use of Rock Slide in the place of Stone Edge will net more reliable KOs on Volcarona, Salamence, Thunderus-T and the likeetc, but the drop in power usually will notwon't be worth it. Night Slash can be used for a similar reason against Gengar but Stone Edge already does more than enough damage to quickly dispose of it.</p>

<p>It's possible to adjust the given spread to your liking as Sandslash could potentially benefit from the added bulk. For example, removing 44 EVs from Sandslash's Speed (to just outpace Naive Choice Scarf Genesect)remove brackets and moving them to Sandslash's Special Defense allows Sandslash to always survive defensive Celebi's Giga Drain. Feel free to experiment with Sandslash's statsEV spread, but keep note that Sandslash will more than often be better off with maxed out Speed and Attack stats.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Foremost, changing the weather will effectively neuter Sandslash, quickly changing it into a slow, minor threat. Physical walls and sponges work obviously work very well against Sandslash. Gliscor, Skarmory, bulky Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Tangrowth are just some examples of Pokemon which can place Sandslash in a sticky situation. It's also worth noting that Sandslash, while extremely fast while in a sandstorm, can still be outpaced by a good portion of OU, namely Choice Scarf Latios and Starmie, and is OHKOed by the appropriate move. Though, physically based Choice Scarfers such as Terrakion and Mienshao usually must be careful as Sandslash, if left healthy, can survive a hit and OHKO them in return. Priority attacks are also useful against stopping a Sandslash sweep, but Sandslash has to have been weakened a bit beforehand before it can be revenge KOed by then. In the end, checking Sandslash will boil down to harping onexploiting its mediocre offensive stats. Don't be intimidated by Sandslash's Speed stat as, with the appropriate Pokemon, it can be swiftly brought down through calm and intelligent plays.</p>
Ok this is all done since this is an am check you only have to implement what you like

Thanks, for the check. I implemented most of your changes to the OP, moved a few sentences around, and added a few minor details to the analysis.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Sandslash is a Pokemon riddled with very exploitable weaknesses. With pitiful Speed and Special Defense stats, as well as a rather small offensive movepool, it's completely natural to reject the idea of using Sandslash in OU initially. However, with its Dream World ability&mdash;Sand Rush&mdash;Sandslash becomes a notable threat in the OU metagame. Being a Ground-type, Sandslash has access to a good physical movepool, passable bulk, and impeccable coverage in the celebrated EdgeQuake combination. Moreover, Sandslash can use Rapid Spin to great success—a feat which gives Sandslash even more of a reason to be used over its Sand Rush rival, Stoutland.</p>

<p>Though Despite all of its mentioned perks, Sandslash is by no means invincible. There are many, many Pokemon that can place Sandslash in a tight situation, usually through means of harping on its average offenses, feeble Special Defense stat, and / or inability to outpace a few notable threats after a Sand Rush boost. Proper team support and, more importantly, patience, are necessary when using Sandslash.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sandslash can pull off a Swords Dance set similar in playstyle to Excadrill's to great success. After the activation of Sand Rush, Sandslash can reach a Speed stat as high as 502, giving it the ability to easily outpace and subsequently KO many of the more offensively oriented Pokemon in OU. The above choice of moves is ideal for Sandslash if it's to be used in OU. Swords Dance is the crux of this set, quickly boosting Sandslash's Attack stat to threatening levels. When backed by a Swords Dance boost, Sandslash is even capable of powering through some of OU's premier walls, which is something that Stoutland occasionally struggles with. Earthquake, being Sandslash's strongest STAB option, is capable of blasting through many of OU's grounded inhabitants while Stone Edge nails most of what resists or is immune to Earthquake. The use of Rock Slide in the place of Stone Edge will give Sandslash more reliable KOs on Volcarona, Salamence, and Thundurus-T, but the drop in power is clearly noticeable. Though, the lack of power can be made up for in Rock Slide's flinch rate; very resilient Pokemon, namely Skarmory, will have a tough time getting past the potential flinch hax. Rapid Spin helps Sandslash maintain pressure on more defensive teams and gives it the ability to greatly support its own team; however, X-Scissor lets Sandslash power through bulky Psychic-types that take little or no damage from Earthquake, such as Celebi and Latias. It's important to note that even without Rapid Spin, Sandslash is a very good brings a lot of utility to its team due to being a potent revenge killer. Make the moveset choices which best accommodate your team.</p>

<p>The recommended stat spread is one that aims to simply give Sandslash as much speed and power as possible. With a Jolly nature, Sandslash can outpace many threatening Choice Scarf users, such as Genesect and Thundurus-T, and KO them with the appropriate attack. A Jolly nature also ensures that Sandslash will be able to revenge kill all variants of Salamence, Haxorus, and Volcarona if they manage to net a single Speed boost from Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance, respectively. An Adamant nature however, is still a possibility on this Sandslash set, though, as the power may come to be of use.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is recommended as the item of choice here as the power which it gives to Sandslash is needed to muscle through some of OU's premier defensive Pokemon. Jellicent and 4/0 Breloom, for example, can be OHKOed by a Life Orb-boosted +2 Earthquake (though, keep in mind that said KOs are much easier to attain with an Adamant nature; if Sandslash is using a Jolly nature instead, it will very often fall short). If Sandslash's longevity is of more importance than its damage output, then running a Lum Berry instead of Life Orb could be greatly beneficial. With a Lum Berry, Sandslash can afford to stay in on many defensive Pokemon, such as Jellicent and Jirachi, without much worry of being crippled by status. On a similar note, try to stay away from using Leftovers. Leftovers, while tempting to use alongside Sandslash's fine physical bulk, is nowhere close to being as useful as a Lum Berry or Life Orb. If Sandslash's lifespan is truly that much of a concern, then use Wish support. Teammates exist for a reason; make use of the other five slots that Sandslash will be accompanied by.</p>

<p>Due to Sandslash's reliance on sandstorm being up and difficulty getting around physical walls, Tyranitar makes a superb partner for it. Tyranitar, with either a mixed or Choice Band set, can take out most of the Pokemon that give Sandslash problems while setting up a permanent sandstorm. If Sandslash is not using Rapid Spin, then it will attract many common users of Spikes and Stealth Rock, such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Hippowdon. This makes packing a user of Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce, particularly Xatu, a very beneficial move. Gothitelle can trap and KO pretty much everything that Sandslash normally has trouble with, making it a fine choice as well if there's room for it on Sandslash's team. Sandslash functions very well on offensive sand-based teams for obvious reasons; however, do keep in mind that a non-Choice item using revenge killer with Rapid Spin is also very valuable for stall and bulky offense teams. Generally though, Sandslash should be played rather conservatively in the earlier stages of a match, not going for risky moves until its threats have been snuffed out and planned against. Simply keep up the pressure until a path has been paved for Sandslash to ram through the opposing team. Patience is key to using this Sandslash.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Unfortunately for Sandslash, its movepool is pretty dry, leaving it very few options to use. Like Excadrill, Sandslash can use Return for very good neutral coverage; Return also hits Flying-types and Levitating targets much more reliably than Stone Edge. With access Stealth Rock, potent revenge killing capability granted by Sand Rush, and Super Fang, Sandslash can run a defensive set. However, running such a set will only waste Sandslash's potential, not to mention that other bulky Pokemon, such as Landorus-T and Forretress, greatly outclass defensive Sandslash. Night Slash can be used for a similar reason against Gengar, but Stone Edge already does more than enough damage to quickly dispose of it. Sandslash can also make use of the move Sandstorm as a clutch method of maintaining weather control while also setting up a sweep for itself. Don't take this option too seriously though, as Sandslash will have a lot of trouble fitting Sandstorm onto the recommended set. As far as other items go, Sandslash can use Soft Sand for the purpose of powering up its already strong STAB Earthquake without the recoil of Life Orb.</p>

<p>It's possible to adjust the given spread to your liking as Sandslash could potentially benefit from the added bulk. For example, removing 44 EVs from Sandslash's Speed to outpace everything up to and including Naive Choice Scarf Genesect and moving them to Sandslash's Special Defense allows Sandslash to always survive defensive Celebi's Giga Drain. Feel free to experiment with Sandslash's EV spread, but keep note that Sandslash will more often than not be better off with maxed out Speed and Attack.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Foremost, changing the weather will effectively neuter Sandslash, quickly changing it into a slow, minor threat. Physical walls and sponges work obviously work very well against Sandslash. Gliscor, Skarmory, bulky Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Tangrowth are just some examples of Pokemon that can place Sandslash in a sticky situation. It's also worth noting that Sandslash, while extremely fast while in a sandstorm, can still be outpaced by a good portion of OU, namely Choice Scarf Latios and Starmie, and OHKOed by the appropriate move. Though, physically based Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Mienshao, usually must be careful because Sandslash, if left healthy, can survive a hit and OHKO them in return. Priority attacks are also useful against stopping a Sandslash sweep, but Sandslash has to have been weakened a bit beforehand before it can be revenge KOed by then. In the end, checking Sandslash will boil down to exploiting its mediocre offensive stats. Don't be intimidated by Sandslash's Speed stat as, with the appropriate Pokemon, it can be swiftly brought down through calm and intelligent play.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
placeholder for amcheck

[Overview] (don't forget to add this again)

<p>Sandslash is a Pokemon riddled with very exploitable weaknesses. With pitiful Speed and Special Defense stats, as well as a rather small offensive movepool, it's completely natural to reject the idea of using Sandslash in OU initially. However, with its Dream World ability&mdash;Sand Rush&mdash;Sandslash becomes a notable threat in the OU metagame. Being a Ground-type, Sandslash has access to a good physical movepool, passable bulk, and impeccable coverage in the celebrated EdgeQuake combination. Moreover, Sandslash can use Rapid Spin to great success&mdash;a feat which gives Sandslash even more of a reason to be used over its Sand Rush rival, Stoutland.</p>

<p>Despite all of its mentioned perks, Sandslash is by no means invincible. There are many, many Pokemon that can place Sandslash in a tight situation, usually through means of harping on its average offenses, feeble Special Defense stat, and / or inability to outpace a few notable threats after a Sand Rush boost. Proper team support and, more importantly, patience, are necessary when using Sandslash.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sandslash can pull off a Swords Dance set similar in playstyle to Excadrill's to great success. After the activation of Sand Rush, Sandslash can reach a Speed stat as high as 502, giving it the ability to easily outpace and subsequently KO many of the more offensively oriented Pokemon in OU. The above choice of moves is ideal for Sandslash if it's to be used in OU. Swords Dance is the crux of this set, quickly boosting Sandslash's Attack stat to threatening levels. When backed by a Swords Dance boost, Sandslash is even capable of powering through some of OU's premier walls, which is something that Stoutland occasionally struggles with. Earthquake, being Sandslash's strongest STAB option, is capable of blasting through many of OU's grounded inhabitants while Stone Edge nails most of what resists or is immune to Earthquake. The use of Rock Slide in the place of Stone Edge will give Sandslash more reliable KOs on Volcarona, Salamence, and Thundurus-T, but the drop in power is clearly noticeable. Though, the lack of power can be made up for in Rock Slide's flinch rate; very resilient Pokemon, namely Skarmory, will have a tough time getting past the potential flinch hax. Rapid Spin helps Sandslash maintain pressure on more defensive teams and gives it the ability to greatly support its own team; however, X-Scissor lets Sandslash power through bulky Psychic-types that take little or no damage from Earthquake, such as Celebi and Latias. It's important to note that even without Rapid Spin, Sandslash brings a lot of utility to its team due to being a potent revenge killer. Make the moveset choices which best accommodate your team.</p>

<p>The recommended stat EV spread is one that aims to simply give Sandslash as much speed and power as possible. With a Jolly nature, Sandslash can outpace many threatening Choice Scarf users, such as Genesect and Thundurus-T, and KO them with the appropriate attack. A Jolly nature also ensures that Sandslash will be able to revenge kill all variants of Salamence, Haxorus, and Volcarona if they manage to net a single Speed boost from Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance, respectively. An Adamant nature is still a possibility on this Sandslash set as the power may come to be of use.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is recommended as the item of choice here as the power it gives to Sandslash is needed to muscle through some of OU's premier defensive Pokemon. Jellicent and 4/0 Breloom, for example, can be OHKOed by a Life Orb-boosted +2 Earthquake (though, keep in mind that said KOs are much easier to attain with an Adamant nature; if Sandslash is using a Jolly nature instead, it will very often fall short). If Sandslash's longevity is of more importance than its damage output, then running a Lum Berry instead of Life Orb could be greatly beneficial. With a Lum Berry, Sandslash can afford to stay in on many defensive Pokemon, such as Jellicent and Jirachi, without much worry of being crippled by status. On a similar note, try to stay away from using Leftovers. Leftovers, while tempting to use alongside Sandslash's fine physical bulk, is nowhere close to being as useful as a Lum Berry or Life Orb. If Sandslash's lifespan is truly that much of a concern, then use Wish support. Teammates exist for a reason; make use of the other five slots that Sandslash will be accompanied by.</p>

<p>Due to Sandslash's reliance on sandstorm being up and difficulty getting around physical walls, Tyranitar makes a superb partner for it. Tyranitar, with either a mixed or Choice Band set, can take out most of the Pokemon that give Sandslash problems while setting up a permanent sandstorm. If Sandslash is not using Rapid Spin, then it will attract many common users of Spikes and Stealth Rock, such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Hippowdon. This makes packing a user of Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce, particularly Xatu, a very beneficial move. Gothitelle can trap and KO pretty much everything that Sandslash normally has trouble with, making it a fine choice as well if there's room for it on Sandslash's team. Sandslash functions very well on offensive sand-based teams for obvious reasons; however, do keep in mind that a non-Choice item using revenge killer with Rapid Spin is also very valuable for stall and bulky offense teams. Generally though, Sandslash should be played rather conservatively in the earlier stages of a match, not going for risky moves until its threats have been snuffed out and planned against. Simply keep up the pressure until a path has been paved for Sandslash to ram through the opposing team. Patience is key to using this Sandslash.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Unfortunately for Sandslash, its movepool is pretty dry, leaving it very few options to use. Like Excadrill, Sandslash can use Return for very good neutral coverage; Return also hits Flying-types and Levitating targets much more reliably than Stone Edge. With access to Stealth Rock, potent revenge killing capability granted by Sand Rush, and Super Fang, Sandslash can run a defensive set. However, running such a set will only waste Sandslash's potential, not to mention that other bulky Pokemon, such as Landorus-T and Forretress, greatly outclass defensive Sandslash. Night Slash can be used for a similar reason against Gengar, but Stone Edge already does more than enough damage to quickly dispose of it. Sandslash can also make use of the move Sandstorm as a clutch method of maintaining weather control while also setting up a sweep for itself. Don't take this option too seriously though, as Sandslash will have a lot of trouble fitting Sandstorm onto the recommended set. As far as other items go, Sandslash can use Soft Sand for the purpose of powering up its already strong STAB Earthquake without the recoil of Life Orb.</p>

<p>It's possible to adjust the given spread to your liking as Sandslash could potentially benefit from the added bulk. For example, removing 44 EVs from Sandslash's Speed to outpace everything up to and including Naive Choice Scarf Genesect and moving them to Sandslash's Special Defense allows Sandslash to always survive defensive Celebi's Giga Drain. (remove) ; (semi) however, the 44 Speed EVs allow you to outpace everything up to and including Naive Choice Scarf Genesect. Feel free to experiment with Sandslash's EV spread, but keep note that Sandslash will more often than not be better off with maxed out Speed and Attack.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Foremost, changing the weather will effectively neuter Sandslash, quickly changing it into a slow, minor threat. Physical walls and sponges obviously work very well against Sandslash. Gliscor, Skarmory, bulky Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Tangrowth are just some examples of Pokemon that can place Sandslash in a sticky situation. It's also worth noting that Sandslash, while extremely fast while in a sandstorm, can still be outpaced by a good portion of OU, namely Choice Scarf Latios and Starmie, and OHKOed by the appropriate move. Though, physically based Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Mienshao, must be careful because Sandslash, if left healthy, can survive a hit and OHKO them in return. Priority attacks are also useful against stopping a Sandslash sweep, but Sandslash has to have been weakened a bit beforehand before it can be revenge KOed by then. In the end, checking Sandslash will boil down to exploiting its mediocre offensive stats. Don't be intimidated by Sandslash's Speed stat as, with the appropriate Pokemon, it can be swiftly brought down through calm and intelligent play.</p>

Ok stamping redews check with one additional change
HoweverThough, the lack of power can be made up for in Rock Slide's flinch rate;
and ignore his change about the 44 Speed EVs and Naive Choice Scarf Genesect

[gp]GP Check the Second[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)