Kingdra (Choice Specs - GP 2/2)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Back in round 1 OU, this thing was more broken than Deoxys-A, Deoxys-N (lol), Darkrai, Excadrill, Blaziken, Garchomp and Thundurus put together.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/kingdra/uber

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Dragon Pulse / Ice Beam
move 4: Surf / Ice Beam
item: Choice Specs
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Simple and effective, this set is nothing short of devastating in the right hands. While Kingdra may seem outclassed by Kyogre and Palkia as a pure Special Attacking Water-type, Kingdra carves its own niche thanks to its ridiculous 538 Speed in the rain. While a base 95 Special Attack may seem low by Ubers standards, with the Choice Specs boost, Kingdra reaches 475 Special Attack, usable enough to break down many defensive Pokemon and clean up weakened teams. While the Life Orb set may seem like a better late-game cleaner, Choice Specs powers up Kingdra enough for it to actually be threatening in the early- and mid-game too, allowing it to be a revenge killer, semi-wall breaker, and sweeper all in one. While the Life Orb set eases prediction through freedom of moves, this set eases prediction through sheer power. In such an entry hazard-rich metagame as Ubers, any attempt to minimize residual damage is welcome. The moveset is as simple as it can get. When you have a Pokemon with Kingdra's Speed and two STAB coverage, the simplest set is generally the best. While it may seem redundant to carry two moves of both STAB types, the moves themselves serve different roles. Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump are used to break apart bulkier Pokemon in the early- and mid-game, while Dragon Pulse and Surf allow Kingdra to clean up in the late-game. Kingdra hardly needs anything else, although Ice Beam can go over one of Dragon Pulse or Surf to 2HKO Grass Arceus, which is usually very problematic for rain teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are extremely self-explanatory. Max Special Attack and a Modest nature are used for maximum power, while max Speed allows Kingdra to outspeed as many things as possible. Kingdra, unlike other weather dependent speed demons such as Kabutops and Venusaur, actually outspeeds Choice Scarf Terrakion without having to use a +Speed nature. However, if you are really paranoid, a Timid nature is always an option to outspeed Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S, as well as Jolly Kabutops and +2 Blaziken. However, be aware that, without a Modest nature, there is a significant power drop. In terms of other move options, Hidden Power Fire is generally not a very good idea, since Hydro Pump in the rain does pretty much the same amount of damage to Ferrothorn anyway, although it does have some merit for being able to hit Ferrothorn a lot harder if it's sunny. Toxic can be used over one of Dragon Pulse or Surf to cripple potential Lugia and Grass Arceus switch-ins.</p>

<p>Kyogre is easily Kingdra's most important teammate. Without its eternal rain, Kingdra would just be an inferior Palkia in every way. Conversely, Kingdra's number one enemy is definitely Ferrothorn. For Kingdra to function effectively, you should be prudent to at least land around 40% damage onto the steel plant before trying to take it down with Kingdra. Fortunately, Ferrothorn is relatively easy to whittle away at, since it lacks reliable recovery outside of Leech Seed and is a common switch-in to many Uber threats. Pokemon such as Hone Claws mixed Kyurem-B, Choice Band Zekrom, Choice Specs Kyogre, and Palkia are all good teammates to lure in Ferrothorn and do enough to it that Kingdra can push through later in the game. Luring out other weather inducers is also extremely beneficial. Bulk Up mixed Dialga is an excellent lure for all weather inducers that threaten to take rain away. It can smash Groudon and Hippowdon with Draco Meteor, and break through Tyranitar and the rare Abomasnow with Aura Sphere, a boosted Brick Break, or Outrage. Mixed Zekrom is also relatively good at wiping Groudon and Hippowdon off the map, as is Hone Claws mixed Kyurem-B.</p>

<p>Other Pokemon that give Kingdra trouble are Grass Arceus, specially defensive Water Arceus, Blissey and Chansey, specially defensive Kyogre, and Rayquaza. The first five Pokemon can take hits from Kingdra all day and reply with status; Rayquaza outspeeds Kingdra due to Air Lock and KOes it with its STAB Dragon-type attacks. Defensive Dialga is a good check to the first five defensive Pokemon, as it does not mind paralysis and can easily set up Stealth Rock and force switches with Roar. Bulk Up RestTalk Dialga can also use them as set up fodder. As for Rayquaza, Lugia and defensive Arceus are excellent all-round switch-ins. Otherwise, Choice Scarf Terrakion and Jirachi can revenge kill all variants of Rayquaza, while Choice Scarf Garchomp, Salamence, and Palkia can take out Dragon Dance variants.</p>

<p>Apart from Rayquaza, even with Kingdra's fantastic Speed, it can still be revenge killed. Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S, as well as Jolly Kabutops and Kingdra, can outspeed Modest Kingdra, while Choice Scarf Mewtwo can outspeed even Timid variants. A Grass Arceus of your own can easily deal with Kabutops and Kingdra, as well as bulky Dialga and Lugia. As for the Choice Scarf users, Choice Band Scizor or Choice Scarf Jirachi are decent options to deal with all three, especially since Darkrai and Mewtwo can potentially cripple walls with Trick. Apart from Rayquaza, other users of ExtremeSpeed can also revenge kill Kingdra after prior damage. These include ExtremeKiller Arceus and Deoxys-A. A bulky Steel-type such as Skarmory can easily take on Arceus, while Deoxys-A can be easily revenge killed by Giratina-O, Scizor, Choice Scarf Dialga, Jirachi, Terrakion, and Genesect, all of which can take an ExtremeSpeed without much trouble.</p>

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[20:22] <@Fraud> mention xatu btw
[20:23] <@Fraud> as a good partner
[20:23] <@Fraud> cos it switches into ferro
[20:23] <shrang> oh yea
[20:24] <@Fraud> mention extremekiller as a check if kingdra is slightly weakened
[20:24] <@Fraud> it takes like 65%~ i think?
[20:25] <@Fraud> jolly kabutops does exist because it gets the jump on scarf terrak
[20:25] <@Fraud> and mention that modest kingdra conveniently outspeeds scarf terrak by a few points
[20:25] <@Fraud> that's really big
[20:25] <@Fraud> since kabutops hates using jolly
[20:25] <shrang> hm ok
[20:26] <@Fraud> forretress is also a good partner as well obviously
[20:26] <@Fraud> and instead of scarf scizor say scarf jirachi
[20:26] <@Fraud> because that's actually better
[20:26] <@Fraud> or you can say both
[20:26] <@Fraud> but scizor is pretty extinct
[20:27] <@Fraud> can't even take on kyurem-w that well smh
[20:27] <@Fraud> forretress is good because it's > grass arceus and doesn't care THAT much even if it has will o wisp
[20:27] <@Fraud> and with toxic counters CM as well
[20:28] <@Fraud> toxic p split walks all over grass arc and ferrothorn
[20:29] <@Fraud> also shrang have you done calcs of this kingdra vs bulky kyogre?
[20:29] <@Fraud> resttalk might be an ok check
[20:30] <@Fraud> it's probably not 2hko'd by draco and i have a feeling it survives 3 hydros too
[20:30] <@Fraud> the 252 hp 240 def 16 sdef calm one
[20:30] <@Fraud> since that's the best spread
[20:32] <@Fraud> shrang are you here buddy

irc logs

QC approved 2/3

edit: got some battle logs, pretty impressed. it has really stiff competition from kabutops who resists extremespeed though (that's huge)

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Sewa-vs-Poppy--2012-08-13-private1226443103

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Richard-and-Blaziken-vs-Poppy--2012-08-13-private748662544

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Poppy-vs-Worst-Player-Ever--2012-08-13

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm actually pretty skeptical of this. FYI last gen, Specs was actually other options because Kingdra really hates getting locked into stuff... what has changed this gen for Specs to be workable? I guess Ferrothorn can change stuff... but still, you better focus on the reasons to use this over other Kingdra sets!

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's more like the fact that I think Specs Kingdra is viable on its own to warrant a set. Unlike the other sets in which you have to set up (which Kingdra, even with its great resistances is not having the easiest time doing), Specs allows Kingdra to hit hard and fast pretty much immediately. If DPP Ubers is still a metagame a lot of people play, I'd actually consider adding it to its DPP Ubers analysis too o_0. Basically, think of it as a fusion between Specs and Scarf Palkia with a truckload more speed.

I really don't think that dracometeor has a place on this set ALONG with dragon pulse. Hydro pump should be your default spamable attack because it has MUCH more power and draco meteor and it doesn't reduce in power after attack, only for a "small" 10 accuracy. There is a lot of things that don't really mind getting hit by draco meteor and then all of your momentum is shifted on you. it's not really a good situation to put yourself in.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's more like the fact that I think Specs Kingdra is viable on its own to warrant a set. Unlike the other sets in which you have to set up (which Kingdra, even with its great resistances is not having the easiest time doing), Specs allows Kingdra to hit hard and fast pretty much immediately. If DPP Ubers is still a metagame a lot of people play, I'd actually consider adding it to its DPP Ubers analysis too o_0. Basically, think of it as a fusion between Specs and Scarf Palkia with a truckload more speed.
I was actually referring to mixed Kingdra, which was the reason I put Specs in other options last time. What I want is reasons like damage calcs to use Specs Kingdra over Mixed, especially since one of the excellent things about that set is that you won't be stuck on a water move vs a Dragon!

syrim

1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1
Specs Kingdra has the ability to actually pressure Ferrothorn and even Chansey, while not being as weak to residual damage, as well as beat threats like Mewtwo after a Calm Mind, and nearly remove the need for prediction because of Hydro Pump's power. This also makes Surf a viable move in many more scenarios, which has obvious benefits.

Kingdra@Choice Specs (252 EVs, +Nature) Hydro Pump vs Ferrothorn (252/252 EVs, +Nature): 35.7 ~ 42% (126 ~ 148 HP) (Rain)

Kingdra@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Hydro Pump vs Ferrothorn (252/252 EVs, +Nature): 30.6 ~ 36.3% (108 ~ 128 HP) (Rain)

With a little team support, it's actually possible for Specs Kingdra to push through Ferrothorn.

Kingdra@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Hydro Pump vs Mewtwo (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 103.6 ~ 122.3% (366 ~ 432 HP) (Rain)

Before a boost.

Kingdra@Choice Specs (252 EVs, +Nature) Hydro Pump vs Mewtwo (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 120.1 ~ 141.3% (424 ~ 499 HP) (Rain)

The power difference is noticeable in many scenarios, and because almost all of your dedicated checks or counters do not care if you switch moves, I think it is a more viable set.

E.g. Ferrothorn and Grass Arceus. Specs Kingdra poses a far greater threat to most of its checks such as Grass Arceus, even if it does not choose to run Ice Beam as shrang mentioned, which can remove it as a counter altogether .The specs variant handles certain threats more effectively, such as bulky Kyogre, Lugia, and most support Arceus forms.

Because of it's ability to push through high defenses, (Kingdra@Choice Specs (252 EVs, +Nature) Hydro Pump vs Arceus-Ghost@Spooky Plate (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 86.8 ~ 102.6% (331 ~ 391 HP) (Rain)) OHKO with rocks.

Kingdra@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Hydro Pump vs Arceus-Ghost@Spooky Plate (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 75.5 ~ 88.9% (288 ~ 339 HP) (Rain)

The way prediction is eased through power, but mostly because of the largely reduced residual damage, I believe this set is superior to mixed. The only real switch in that functions in today's metagame that mixed has any sort of advantage for is Chansey, who can feasibly recover stall because it is not even 2HKOed by the on site spread's Waterfall.

Kingdra@Life Orb (4 EVs, Neutral Nature) Waterfall vs Chansey@Evolution Stone (0/252 EVs, Neutral Nature): 36.1 ~ 42.7% (232 ~ 274 HP) (Rain)

The argument could be made that Mixdra is a better cleaner because of it's ability to switch moves, but not only is that flawed because of the important power increase, and the decreased prediction and ease of wall breaking that brings, but that also lends another niche to this set, a Pokemon capable of beating down boosted or nearly full health threats, more like a traditional scarfer, and one that is much more effective at removing its own counters. That is if one chooses to ignore the lack of use Mixdra has against nearly everything that commonly switches into Kingdra compared to Specs Dra.

Theorymon

While I disagree on the fact that Specs Kingdra is a better cleaner than mixed Kingdra (mostly because of all the dragons resisting your water moves), I'll approve it as LONG as the reasons to use it over mixed Kingdra are a part of the set.

QC approved 3 / 3

One advantage specs kingdra has it that groudon can not waltz in and take your rain for free (or little health cost) like it can with physically leaning or mixed sets unless you already gave up a DM. Also, specs kingdra doesn't take iron barbs damage when trying to break Ferro, and doesn't need to trap itself in outrage to beat latias, kyogre, and other shit you are normally forced to outrage through. So while you are locking kingdra into a move with specs, you aren't locking it in for multiple turns, so you are much tougher to revenge kill in that respect

shrang

General Kenobi
I'm starting on this right now, along with my OU Latias + Meloetta analyses at the moment (which would probably slow it down). I just finished my interviews, so I've got a lot more time now!

Amateur GP check. Take whatever you think is useful from it.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Simple and effective, this set is nothing short of simple, effective, and devastating in the right hands. While Kingdra may seem outclassed by Kyogre and Palkia as a pure Special Attacking Water-type, Kingdra carves its own niche due to its ridiculous 538 Speed in the rain due to its ability, Swift Swim. While a base 95 Special Attack may seem low by Ubers standards, with the Choice Specs boost, Kingdra reaches 475 Special Attack, usable enough to break down many defensive Pokemon while being able to and clean up weakened teams. While the Life Orb set may seem like a better endgame cleaner, Choice Specs powers up Kingdra enough for it to actually be threatening in the early (add dash after early) and midgame mid-game too, allowing it to be a revenge killer, semi-wall breaker (remove space between wall and breaker), and sweeper all in one. While the Life Orb set eases prediction through freedom of moves, this set eases prediction through sheer power. In such a entry hazard-rich metagame as Ubers, any attempt to minimize residual damage is welcome. The moveset is as simple as it can get. When you have a Pokemon with Kingdra's Speed and two STAB coverage, the simplest set would generally be the best. While it may seem redundant to carry two moves of both STAB types, the moves themselves serve different roles. Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump are used to break apart bulkier Pokemon in the early (add dash) and mid-game, while Dragon Pulse and Surf allows allow Kingdra to clean up in the endgame (I'm actually not sure what the rule is here; this is in all likelihood fine, but I know you're supposed to have dashes in early-game, mid-game, and late-game so I thought I'd point it out just in case). Kingdra hardly needs anything else, although Ice Beam can go over one of Dragon Pulse or Surf to 2HKO Grass Arceus, which is usually very problematic for rain teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are extremely self-explanatory. Max Special Attack and a Modest nature is are used for maximum power, while max Speed allows Kingdra to outspeed as many things as possible. One excellent trait about Kingdra is that (add comma) unlike other weather dependent speed demons such as Kabutops and Venusaur, Kingdra outspeeds Choice Scarf Terrakion without having to use a +Speed nature. However, if you are really paranoid, a Timid nature is always an option to outspeed Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S, as well as Jolly Kabutops and +2 Blaziken. However, be Be aware that (add comma) without a Modest nature, the there is a significant power drop is significant. In terms of other move options, Hidden Power Fire is generally not a very good option idea, since Hydro Pump in the rain does pretty much the same amount of damage to Ferrothorn anyway, although it does have some merit for being able to hit Ferrothorn a lot harder if it's sunny. Toxic can be used over one of Dragon Pulse or Surf to cripple potential Lugia and Grass Arceus switch-ins.</p>

<p>Kyogre is easily Kingdra's most important teammate. Without its eternal rain, Kingdra would just be an inferior Palkia in every way. Otherwise, Conversely, Kingdra's number one enemy is definitely Ferrothorn. For Kingdra to function most effectively, it would be prudent to at least load around 40% of damage onto the steel plant before trying to take it down with Kingdra. Fortunately, Ferrothorn is relatively easy to overload damage onto, since it lacks reliable recovery outside of Leech Seed while being and is a common switch-in to many Uber threats. Pokemon such as Hone Claws mixed Kyurem-W, Choice Band Zekrom, and Choice Specs Kyogre and Palkia are all good teammates to lure in Ferrothorn to and do enough to it so that Kingdra can push through later in the game. Luring out other weather inducers would also be extremely beneficial. Bulk Up mixed Dialga is an excellent lure for all weather inducers that threaten to take rain away. It can smash Groudon and Hippowdon with Draco Meteor, (remove comma) and break through Tyranitar and the rare Abomasnow with Aura Sphere, boosted Brick Break (add comma) or remove the comma after Aura Sphere and say "Aura Sphere or boosted Brick Break or Outrage") or Outrage, while Abomasnow is not very viable in Ubers anyway. Mixed Zekrom is also relatively good at wiping Groudon and Hippowdon off the map, as is Hone Claws Mixed Kyurem-B.</p>

<p>Other Pokemon that give Kingdra trouble are Grass Arceus, specially defensive Water Arceus, Blissey and Chansey, specially defensive Kyogre, and Rayquaza. The first five Pokemon can take hits from Kingdra all day and reply with status. The latter outspeeds Kingdra due to Air Lock and KOs KOes it with its STAB Dragon-type attacks. Defensive Dialga is a good check to the first five defensive Pokemon, as it does not mind paralysis and can easily set up Stealth Rock and force switches with Roar. Bulk Up RestTalk Dialga can also use them as set up fodder. As for Rayquaza, Lugia and defensive Arceus is an are excellent all-round switch-in switch-ins. Otherwise, Choice Scarf Terrakion and Jirachi can revenge kill all variants of Rayquaza, while Choice Scarf Garchomp, Salamence, and Palkia can take out Dragon Dancing Dance variants.</p>

<p>Apart from the aforementioned Rayquaza, even with Kingdra's fantastic Speed, it can still be revenge killed. Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S, as well as Jolly Kabutops and Kingdra can outspeed Modest Kingdra, while Choice Scarf Mewtwo can outspeed even Timid variants. A Grass Arceus of your own can easily deal with Kabutops and Kingdra, as well as bulky Dialga and Lugia. As for the Choice Scarf users, Choice Band Scizor or Choice Scarf Jirachi is a are decent option options to deal with all three, especially since Darkrai and Mewtwo can potentially cripple walls with Trick. Apart from Rayquaza, other users of ExtremeSpeed can also revenge kill Kingdra after prior damage. These include ExtremeKiller Arceus and Deoxys-A. A bulky Steel-type such as Skarmory can easily take on Arceus, while Deoxys-A can be easily revenge killed by Giratina-O, Scizor, Choice Scarf Dialga, Jirachi, Terrakion, and Genesect, which can all take an ExtremeSpeed without much trouble.</p>

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Stamping melvni's check with a few changes

Additions in green and removals in purple.

In such an entry hazard-rich metagame as Ubers, any attempt to minimize residual damage is welcome.
While the Life Orb set may seem like a better endgame late-game cleaner, Choice Specs powers up Kingdra enough for it to actually be threatening in the early (add dash after early) and midgame mid-game too, allowing it to be a revenge killer, semi-wall breaker (remove space between wall and breaker), and sweeper all in one.
Fortunately, Ferrothorn is relatively easy to overload damage onto, since as it lacks reliable recovery outside of Leech Seed while being and is a common switch-in to many Uber threats.
Pokemon such as Hone Claws mixed Kyurem-W, Choice Band Zekrom, and nah Choice Specs Kyogre, <comma> and Palkia are all good teammates to lure in Ferrothorn to and do enough to it so that Kingdra can push through later in the game.
The first five Pokemon can take hits from Kingdra all day and reply with status. The latter ; Rayquaza outspeeds Kingdra due to Air Lock and KOs KOes it with its STAB Dragon-type attacks.
Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S, as well as Jolly Kabutops and Kingdra, <comma> can outspeed Modest Kingdra, while Choice Scarf Mewtwo can outspeed even Timid variants.

GP Approved 1/2

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Simple and effective, this set is nothing short of devastating in the right hands. While Kingdra may seem outclassed by Kyogre and Palkia as a pure Special Attacking Water-type, Kingdra carves its own niche duethanks to its ridiculous 538 Speed in the rain due to its ability, Swift Swim. While a base 95 Special Attack may seem low by Ubers standards, with the Choice Specs boost, Kingdra reaches 475 Special Attack, usable enough to break down many defensive Pokemon and clean up weakened teams. While the Life Orb set may seem like a better late-game cleaner, Choice Specs powers up Kingdra enough for it to actually be threatening in the early- and mid-game too, allowing it to be a revenge killer, semi-wall breaker, and sweeper all in one. While the Life Orb set eases prediction through freedom of moves, this set eases prediction through sheer power. In such an entry hazard-rich metagame as Ubers, any attempt to minimize residual damage is welcome. The moveset is as simple as it can get. When you have a Pokemon with Kingdra's Speed and two STAB coverage, the simplest set wouldis generally be the best. While it may seem redundant to carry two moves of both STAB types, the moves themselves serve different roles. Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump are used to break apart bulkier Pokemon in the early- and mid-game, while Dragon Pulse and Surf allow Kingdra to clean up in the late-game. Kingdra hardly needs anything else, although Ice Beam can go over one of Dragon Pulse or Surf to 2HKO Grass Arceus, which is usually very problematic for rain teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are extremely self-explanatory. Max Special Attack and a Modest nature are used for maximum power, while max Speed allows Kingdra to outspeed as many things as possible. One excellent trait about Kingdra is thatKingdra, unlike other weather dependent speed demons such as Kabutops and Venusaur, Kingdraactually outspeeds Choice Scarf Terrakion without having to use a +Speed nature. However, if you are really paranoid, a Timid nature is always an option to outspeed Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S, as well as Jolly Kabutops and +2 Blaziken. However, be aware that, without a Modest nature, there is a significant power drop. In terms of other move options, Hidden Power Fire is generally not a very good idea, since Hydro Pump in the rain does pretty much the same amount of damage to Ferrothorn anyway, although it does have some merit for being able to hit Ferrothorn a lot harder if it's sunny. Toxic can be used over one of Dragon Pulse or Surf to cripple potential Lugia and Grass Arceus switch-ins.</p>

<p>Kyogre is easily Kingdra's most important teammate. Without its eternal rain, Kingdra would just be an inferior Palkia in every way. Conversely, Kingdra's number one enemy is definitely Ferrothorn. For Kingdra to function most effectively, it wyou should be prudent to at least loaand around 40% damage onto the steel plant before trying to take it down with Kingdra. Fortunately, Ferrothorn is relatively easy to overload damage ontowhittle away at, since it lacks reliable recovery outside of Leech Seed and is a common switch-in to many Uber threats. Pokemon such as Hone Claws mixed Kyurem-B, Choice Band Zekrom, Choice Specs Kyogre, and Palkia are all good teammates to lure in Ferrothorn and do enough to it that Kingdra can push through later in the game. Luring out other weather inducers wouldis also be extremely beneficial. Bulk Up mixed Dialga is an excellent lure for all weather inducers that threaten to take rain away. It can smash Groudon and Hippowdon with Draco Meteor, and break through Tyranitar and the rare Abomasnow with Aura Sphere, a boosted Brick Break, or Outrage. Mixed Zekrom is also relatively good at wiping Groudon and Hippowdon off the map, as is Hone Claws Mmixed Kyurem-B.</p>

<p>Other Pokemon that give Kingdra trouble are Grass Arceus, specially defensive Water Arceus, Blissey and Chansey, specially defensive Kyogre, and Rayquaza. The first five Pokemon can take hits from Kingdra all day and reply with status; Rayquaza outspeeds Kingdra due to Air Lock and KOes it with its STAB Dragon-type attacks. Defensive Dialga is a good check to the first five defensive Pokemon, as it does not mind paralysis and can easily set up Stealth Rock and force switches with Roar. Bulk Up RestTalk Dialga can also use them as set up fodder. As for Rayquaza, Lugia and defensive Arceus are excellent all-round switch-ins. Otherwise, Choice Scarf Terrakion and Jirachi can revenge kill all variants of Rayquaza, while Choice Scarf Garchomp, Salamence, and Palkia can take out Dragon Dance variants.</p>

<p>Apart from the aforementioned Rayquaza, even with Kingdra's fantastic Speed, it can still be revenge killed. Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S, as well as Jolly Kabutops and Kingdra, can outspeed Modest Kingdra, while Choice Scarf Mewtwo can outspeed even Timid variants. A Grass Arceus of your own can easily deal with Kabutops and Kingdra, as well as bulky Dialga and Lugia. As for the Choice Scarf users, Choice Band Scizor or Choice Scarf Jirachi are decent options to deal with all three, especially since Darkrai and Mewtwo can potentially cripple walls with Trick. Apart from Rayquaza, other users of ExtremeSpeed can also revenge kill Kingdra after prior damage. These include ExtremeKiller Arceus and Deoxys-A. A bulky Steel-type such as Skarmory can easily take on Arceus, while Deoxys-A can be easily revenge killed by Giratina-O, Scizor, Choice Scarf Dialga, Jirachi, Terrakion, and Genesect, all of which can all take an ExtremeSpeed without much trouble.</p>
[HIDEc/p]
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Simple and effective, this set is nothing short of devastating in the right hands. While Kingdra may seem outclassed by Kyogre and Palkia as a pure Special Attacking Water-type, Kingdra carves its own niche thanks to its ridiculous 538 Speed in the rain. While a base 95 Special Attack may seem low by Ubers standards, with the Choice Specs boost, Kingdra reaches 475 Special Attack, usable enough to break down many defensive Pokemon and clean up weakened teams. While the Life Orb set may seem like a better late-game cleaner, Choice Specs powers up Kingdra enough for it to actually be threatening in the early- and mid-game too, allowing it to be a revenge killer, semi-wall breaker, and sweeper all in one. While the Life Orb set eases prediction through freedom of moves, this set eases prediction through sheer power. In such an entry hazard-rich metagame as Ubers, any attempt to minimize residual damage is welcome. The moveset is as simple as it can get. When you have a Pokemon with Kingdra's Speed and two STAB coverage, the simplest set is generally the best. While it may seem redundant to carry two moves of both STAB types, the moves themselves serve different roles. Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump are used to break apart bulkier Pokemon in the early- and mid-game, while Dragon Pulse and Surf allow Kingdra to clean up in the late-game. Kingdra hardly needs anything else, although Ice Beam can go over one of Dragon Pulse or Surf to 2HKO Grass Arceus, which is usually very problematic for rain teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are extremely self-explanatory. Max Special Attack and a Modest nature are used for maximum power, while max Speed allows Kingdra to outspeed as many things as possible. Kingdra, unlike other weather dependent speed demons such as Kabutops and Venusaur, actually outspeeds Choice Scarf Terrakion without having to use a +Speed nature. However, if you are really paranoid, a Timid nature is always an option to outspeed Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S, as well as Jolly Kabutops and +2 Blaziken. However, be aware that, without a Modest nature, there is a significant power drop. In terms of other move options, Hidden Power Fire is generally not a very good idea, since Hydro Pump in the rain does pretty much the same amount of damage to Ferrothorn anyway, although it does have some merit for being able to hit Ferrothorn a lot harder if it's sunny. Toxic can be used over one of Dragon Pulse or Surf to cripple potential Lugia and Grass Arceus switch-ins.</p>

<p>Kyogre is easily Kingdra's most important teammate. Without its eternal rain, Kingdra would just be an inferior Palkia in every way. Conversely, Kingdra's number one enemy is definitely Ferrothorn. For Kingdra to function effectively, you should be prudent to at least land around 40% damage onto the steel plant before trying to take it down with Kingdra. Fortunately, Ferrothorn is relatively easy to whittle away at, since it lacks reliable recovery outside of Leech Seed and is a common switch-in to many Uber threats. Pokemon such as Hone Claws mixed Kyurem-B, Choice Band Zekrom, Choice Specs Kyogre, and Palkia are all good teammates to lure in Ferrothorn and do enough to it that Kingdra can push through later in the game. Luring out other weather inducers is also extremely beneficial. Bulk Up mixed Dialga is an excellent lure for all weather inducers that threaten to take rain away. It can smash Groudon and Hippowdon with Draco Meteor, and break through Tyranitar and the rare Abomasnow with Aura Sphere, a boosted Brick Break, or Outrage. Mixed Zekrom is also relatively good at wiping Groudon and Hippowdon off the map, as is Hone Claws mixed Kyurem-B.</p>

<p>Apart from Rayquaza, even with Kingdra's fantastic Speed, it can still be revenge killed. Choice Scarf Darkrai and Shaymin-S, as well as Jolly Kabutops and Kingdra, can outspeed Modest Kingdra, while Choice Scarf Mewtwo can outspeed even Timid variants. A Grass Arceus of your own can easily deal with Kabutops and Kingdra, as well as bulky Dialga and Lugia. As for the Choice Scarf users, Choice Band Scizor or Choice Scarf Jirachi are decent options to deal with all three, especially since Darkrai and Mewtwo can potentially cripple walls with Trick. Apart from Rayquaza, other users of ExtremeSpeed can also revenge kill Kingdra after prior damage. These include ExtremeKiller Arceus and Deoxys-A. A bulky Steel-type such as Skarmory can easily take on Arceus, while Deoxys-A can be easily revenge killed by Giratina-O, Scizor, Choice Scarf Dialga, Jirachi, Terrakion, and Genesect, all of which can take an ExtremeSpeed without much trouble.</p>
[/HIDE]

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)