[*]Determine set order [✓]
[*]Re-test Sunny Day set (I really question it's viability :/ ) [✓]
[*]QC fun [✓]
[*]Learn how to write [✓]
[*]GP me [✓]
[/LIST]

Hate-mongering Mices

[Overview]

<p>In a tier occupied by powerful Fire-types such as Entei and Moltres, Typhlosion naturally has a bit of trouble finding a place on a team. Sporting the same well-rounded statistics as its brethren, Typhlosion is by no means frail, although a weakness to Stealth Rock and several common attacking types detract from this. However, Typhlosion has a few aces up its sleeve that allow it to distinguish itself from its fellow Fire-types. Its movepool holds some hidden gems, including the potent Eruption, which offers Typhlosion a much-needed powerful STAB attack. Of course, that's not to say that Typhlosion is weak by any means. A high base 109 Special Attack supported by a respectable base 100 Speed allows Typhlosion to hit hard and fast and lends it to serving as a powerful Choice item user, among other options. While certainly no one-man army, a properly supported Typhlosion is capable of laying all manner of destruction in its wake.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Eruption
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Rock
item: Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Whilst wielding Choice Specs, Typhlosion becomes one of the most dangerous immediate special attackers in the tier. A maximum power Eruption being fired off 475 Special Attack is nothing to scoff at; it's even capable of beating bulky Pokemon such as Druddigon and Poliwrath with Stealth Rock in play. Of course, while ideal, Typhlosion can't always remain at full HP, so Fire Blast ensures that it retains a usable STAB move outside of such a scenario. Additionally, when Typhlosion is worn down enough, Blaze can supplement Fire Blast's power to the point where the drop in Base Power is almost unnoticeable. Focus Blast offers respectable neutral coverage alongside Typhlosion's Fire-type attacks, hitting Rock-types and dedicated special walls such as Clefable and Munchlax for super effective damage. Lastly, Hidden Power allows Typhlosion to round off its coverage or even reinforce it. Hidden Power Grass hits bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn hard, while offering a more accurate method to hit Rock-types. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types for super effective damage, allowing it to hit Pokemon such as Entei hard as it tries to switch in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Considering the fact that Choice Specs Typhlosion excels against slower, bulkier teams, a Modest nature is not out of the question, allowing it to push through more defensive Pokemon more efficiently. However, when doing so, Typhlosion is outsped by Pokemon, such as Moltres, Rotom, and Lilligant, and risks a Speed tie with Adamant Entei, and this should be taken into account when doing so. Even so, a Timid nature is usually more than enough, as can be observed in it’s damage:
<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Eruption vs. 4/0 Kabutops 41.6 - 48.85%</li>
<li>Eruption vs. 4/0 Entei 55.25 - 65.22%</li>
<li>Eruption vs. 4/0 Moltres 57.94 - 68.22%</li>
<li>Eruption vs. 252/4 Poliwrath 45.83 - 53.9%</li>
<li>Eruption vs. 252/0 Druddigon 49.44 - 58.37%</li>
</ul>
Flamethrower is an available option over Fire Blast, the choice boiling down to the long-standing power versus accuracy debate.</p>

<p>More so than most of its Fire-type brethren, Typhlosion needs Rapid Spin support to function, ensuring the most powerful Eruption possible. Kabutops stands out as a natural partner, maintaining a solid offensive presence while reliably spinning, with each appreciating the other's ability to lure in bulky-Water-types and wear them down. Moreover, Kabutops lures in bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth, which Typhlosion can in turn threaten with its STAB attacks. As Typhlosion is hard-pressed to outpace faster teams, paralysis support can help Typhlosion burn through teams. Rotom-C and Ferroseed both make solid partners in this right, covering up Typhlosion's weaknesses well, with the former being able to maintain offensive momentum with Volt Switch and the latter being able to set up hazards on an assortment of Pokemon Typhlosion lures in.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Hidden Power Rock
item: Choice Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to a powerful STAB Eruption and strong offensive stats, Choice Scarf Typhlosion makes for a useful revenge killer and late-game sweeper. Eruption is naturally the crux of the set, allowing Typhlosion to hit everything that doesn't resist it for respectable damage. Of course, Fire Blast's consistent damage remains important to Typhlosion's success, allowing it to perform even at sub-optimal HP. Focus Blast offers respectable neutral coverage alongside Typhlosion's STAB moves, punishing Rock-types such as Kabutops and Omastar should they try to switch in on a predicted Fire-type attack. Hidden Power Rock rounds off Typhlosion's coverage, allowing it to hit Fire-type Pokemon hard, as well as allowing Typhlosion to consistently knock out incoming Aerodactyl.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Modest nature can be utilized to hit harder, although losing the ability to outpace Timid Lilligant after a Quiver Dance is pretty detrimental to Typhlosion's ability as a revenge killer. In terms of alternative moves, Flamethrower offers a more accurate alternative to Fire Blast, although without an item boosting its Special Attack Typhlosion really appreciates the extra power. Hidden Power Grass can be utilized over Hidden Power Rock to hit bulky Water-types hard, but it should be noted that targets such as Slowking and Lanturn need to be worn down quite significantly before being threatened by this move.</p>

<p>In order to retain Typhlosion's HP and Eruption's power, a Rapid Spin user is necessary to Typhlosion's success. Kabutops and Sandslash are both apt partners for the task. Because it lacks the immediate power to break through bulky resistances, Typhlosion thoroughly appreciates dedicated hazard support to wear down bulky Water- and Dragon-types that switch into it. Ferroseed, Druddigon, and Qwilfish all make solid examples of such partners, setting up Stealth Rock or Spikes on common Typhlosion checks. However, certain dedicated special walls such as Slowking and Munchlax are capable of walling Typhlosion even with hazard support, making powerful Pursuit users such as Escavalier and Spiritomb good partners for trapping such threats.</p>

[SET]
name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day
move 3: SolarBeam
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While often seen utilizing a Choice item, by utilizing Sunny Day, Typhlosion can put holes in some of its more conventional checks and counters, while also supporting Sunny Day teams. Fire Blast offers Typhlosion a powerful STAB attack that gets further boosted by the presence of sun, even dealing respectable damage to Pokemon such as Druddigon. Common switch-ins to Typhlosion, such as Slowking and Lanturn, find the tables turned as their Water-type STAB moves are reduced in power, and Typhlosion can respond with a powerful SolarBeam. Hidden Power Rock ties everything together, allowing Typhlosion to hit opposing Fire-types hard, preventing Pokemon such as Moltres from burning turns of Sunny Day (pun intended).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flamethrower can be utilized in the place of Fire Blast for a STAB move, should accuracy be more important than extra power. Heat Rock is an option over Life Orb and allows Typhlosion to prolong the Sunny Day for an additional 3 turns, although the drop in power is very noticeable when met with Pokemon such as Slowking and Druddigon. Due to the nature of the set, Chlorophyll sweepers such as Victreebel and Sawsbuck are excellent partners for Typhlosion, taking advantage of the Sunny Day by setting up and wearing down each other's prospective checks and counters. Sunny Day supporters such as Uxie and Regirock both present solid support for Typhlosion, offering not only respectable checks to opposing Fire-types but also Stealth Rock and Sunny Day, allowing Typhlosion to more effectively sweep. Rapid Spin support is obviously thoroughly appreciated for keeping Typhlosion alive and kicking, making Cryogonal an excellent partner, being immune to Ground-type attacks aimed at Typhlosion and capable of threatening Dragon-types with it's STAB Ice Beam, while providing the obvious Rapid Spin support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>With most of its attacking options restricted to what's already been stated, Typhlosion's remaining possibilities are quite sparse. Substitute can be utilized to minimize prediction and get down to Blaze range more safely, although aside from this it accomplishes very little in terms of surmounting Typhlosion's standard set of checks and counters. Will-O-Wisp is a neat option capable of safely crippling a handful of Typhlosion's common switch-ins, although there is rarely a time where Typhlosion wouldn't rather be attacking outright. With access to a couple physical moves such as Earthquake and Wild Charge, Typhlosion can overcome select counters such as Slowking and Lanturn with proper prediction, although in the end the same can be accomplished with Choice Specs and the same prediction abilities without starkly reducing Typhlosion's overall usefulness.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As one would imagine, entry hazards, notably Stealth Rock, are Typhlosion's undisputed bane, ruining its Eruption and generally wearing it down before it can accomplish much. Moreover, bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn take very little from all but Choice Specs Hidden Power Grass and Solarbeam and can cripple it with paralysis in return. Additionally, regardless of variant, priority, such as Kabutops's Aqua Jet and Entei's Extremespeed keeps Typhlosion in check throughout the match. In more specific cases, the Choice Scarf set can be managed by defensively oriented Pokemon such as Druddigon and Clefable, which take very little damage from all but the inaccurate Focus Blast. In a similar vein, naturally bulky Pokemon such as Gallade can take any given hit and hit back hard in return. While Choice Specs has a few less conventional counters, it is much more vulnerable to being revenge killed, with Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Galvantula, and Scolipede being capable of outpacing and knocking it out.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Typhlosion receives Flash Fire as a Dream World ability. This will be an excellent addition to Typhlosion's arsenal, as an immunity to Fire-type attacks would grant Typhlosion a method of preserving its HP for Eruption, while further enhancing its Fire-type attacks in the process.</p>

I don't think Choice Scarf should get a set. It's decent at best, but Choice Specs and Sunny Day are far superior.

While I am prone to agree with you on this point, I feel that Choice Scarf does deserve a set (albeit probably the last one). Having tested both Specs and Scarf, I can certainly say that I definitely prefer Specs, as it requires less prior damage to effectively net KO's and doesn't become immediately sub-par upon switching in on SR, but Scarf has a place imo. With proper hazard support and removal of priority users, Scarfphlosion had a pretty clean sweep through a bunch of offensive teams, and while it isn't something I would necessarily rely on as a revenge-killer, it could effectively serve as such should the situation arise. Does it require some serious support to function and not become outclassed? Definitely. Does it still have a niche? Yes. I'd support moving it down to the last set and outlining it's shortcoming's in detail, but it still is usable enough to validate a set imo.

edit: Moved Specs up to 1st set, and dropped Scarf to last set for reasons explained above. Also, I dropped HP Grass from the Scarf set, and will likely be placing it in AC. With Slowking and Lanturn not even being 3HKOed by it most of the time, the only notable targets of HP Grass seem to be Poliwrath and SpDef Quagsire, the former being a poor switch-in to Typhlosion overall and the latter being extensively uncommon. Feel free to bring up any objections to these changes :]

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sunny Day is definitely a viable set, if not one of Typhlosion's best. A powerful SolarBeam is just what Typhlosion needs to get past Water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn. A sun boosted Fire Blast isn't something to scoff at, with Typhlosion's natural speed and decent bulk meaning it should be able to set up Sunny Day and hit hard. With Sun, Typhlosion has both the power of a Choice Specs boost and a Life Orb when using Fire-type attacks. The sun also severely reduces water-type attack damage so Slowking and Lanturn will do little back before they are KOed. With Hidden Power Rock to hit Fire-types, Typhlosion has perfect coverage ( I think), which makes a Sunny Day set extremely useful.

Calcs

252 SpAtk Life Orb Typhlosion SolarBeam vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Slowking (+SpDef) : 51.78% - 60.91%
252 SpAtk Life Orb Typhlosion SolarBeam vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Lanturn (+SpDef) : 56.83% - 66.96%
252 SpAtk Life Orb Typhlosion Fire Blast vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Druddigon: 51.12% - 60.34%

Alrighty, so I probably should justify my putting Sunny Day in OO, sorry :P While I do realize the potency of the Sunny Day set on paper, it really failed to act as well in practice in playing with it. While it is indeed true that Typhlosion can barrel through the Pokemon you list, to do so it needs three moves, being Sunny Day+2 Attacks. Assuming you successfully switch in and force the opponent out, you set up Sunny Day as the given check/counter comes in. Cool, looks good from there. However, what happens then? Slowking and Lanturn can both take 1 Solarbeam (albeit not very well) and cripple Typhlosion with Thunder Wave, with the former being able to Slack Off until fetching a full para and the latter being able to Volt Switch out and sent in an appropriate response. Druddigon is a similar case, with defensive variants crippling it with Glare and offensive ones straight OHKOing it with Outrage or EQ. That being said, it's not as if Sunny Day acts as some instant fix-all for Typhlosion. Plus, have you ever tried finding free turns with Typhlosion? They're few and far between, trust me :P

However, I won't deny the set is useful enough, and I would probably be much more lenient with were it a well-defined niche. However, after testing the set, for sake of comparison I used a similar set with Entei...and Charizard...and Simisage .-. Point being, the idea of the Sunny Day set functions similarly on all Fire-types, and there are even a handful in the same Speed tier with similar offensive capabilities. At least in the case of Entei he naturally lures Pokemon that get outright smashed by Solarbeam (such as Kabutops and Poliwrath), unlike the still relatively effectual checks Typhlosion lures. Plus, Entei retains Calm Mind and better bulk for staying power, which came in handy much more often than Typhlosion's better immediate offensive presence. I'll gladly add in the set if you have used it to good effect before, but as is I really don't see the need to use it over similar 'mons :/

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Having used Typhlosion very successfully on my Sun team in recent weeks/months Sunny Day/FB/Solarbeam/HP Rock should definitely be a set. It gives Typhlosoin great power it wouldn't otherwise have and has ways to differentiate itself from other Sun set up+attackers in that it doesnt have better things to be doing (entei), it doesnt die from self inflicted recoil super fast as well as being less weak to rocks (charizard), it doesnt suck (simi).

I'll approve if/when you put in the set

Ok, so I was using him as a standalone sweeper in testing it, which obviously wasn't the way to go :x So I re-tested it in dedicated Sun team, and it's definitely more viable than I had initially imagined. Beating bulky Water-types isn't really anything special for Sun teams obviously, but Typhlosion could easily wear down common Sun "checks" (bulky Dragon- and Fire-types mostly) for Chlorophyll sweepers to clean up. I put it up between Specs and Scarf, thanks Texas :]

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • The set order should be Specs / Scarf / Sunny Day
  • Mentions of Rapid Spin support should be on literally every set
  • Stress more that Moltres / Charizard are honestly better at Sunny Day, but usually require more support

QC APPROVED 1/3

Have I mentioned I'm a slow writer? On a related note, this is written up and ready for GP if that's ok =)

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>In a tier occupied by powerful Fire-types such as Entei and Moltres, Typhlosion naturally has a bit of trouble finding a place on a team. Sporting the same well-rounded statistics as its brethren, Typhlosion is by no means frail, although a weakness to Stealth Rock and several common attacking types belittle this. However, the volcanic badgerTyphlosion has a few aces up its sleeve that allows it to distinguish itself from its fellow Fire-types. Its movepool holds some hidden gems, including the potent Eruption, which offers himTyphlosion a much-needed powerful STAB attack. Of course, that's not to say that Typhlosion is weak by any means. A high baser 109 base Special Attack, supported by a respectable 100 base Speed allows Typhlosion to hit hard and fast, and lends him to serving as a powerful Choice user, among other options. While Typhlosion is certainly no one- ‘moman army, a properly supported Typhlosion is capable of laying all manner of destruction in its wake.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Whilst wielding Choice Specs, Typhlosion becomes one of the most dangerous immediate special attackers in the tier. A maximum power Eruption being fired off 475 Special Attack is nothing to scoff at, it's even being capable of beating bulky Pokemon such as Druddigon and Poliwrath with Stealth Rock in play. Of course, while ideal, Typhlosion can't always remain at full HP, and Fire Blast ensures that it retains a usable STAB move in such a scenario. Focus Blast offers respectable neutral coverage alongside Typhlosion's Fire-type attacks, as well as hitting Rock-types and dedicated special walls such as Clefable and Munchlax for super effective damage. Lastly, Hidden Power allows Typhlosion to round off his coverage, or even reinforce it. Hidden Power Grass allows Typhlosion to hithits bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn hard, while offering a more accurate method tof hitting Rock-types. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types for super effective damage, allowing it to hit Pokemon such as Entei hard as it tries to switch in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Considering the fact that Choice Specs Typhlosion excels against slower, bulkier teams, a Modest nature is not out of the question, allowing it to push through more defensive Pokemon more efficiently. However, in doing so it in tur, Typhlosion is outsped by Pokemon such as Moltres, Rotom, and Liligant, and risks a speed tie with Adamant Entei, and should be taken into account iwhen doing so. Even so, a Timid nature is usually more than enough, as can be observed in it’s damage:
</ul>
Flamethrower is an available option over Fire Blast, all boiling down to the long-standing power versus accuracy debate.</p>

<p>More so than most of hits Fire-type brethren, Typhlosion needs Rapid Spin support to function, ensuring the most powerful Eruption possible. Kabutops stands out as a natural partner, maintaining a solid offensive presence while reliably spinning, with oneach another appreciating their abilities to lure in bulky Water-types and wearing them down. Moreover, Kabutops lures in bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth, whoich Typhlosion can in turn threaten with its STAB attacks. As Typhlosion is hard-pressed to outpace faster teams, paralysis support can help Typhlosion burn through teams. Rotom-C and Ferroseed both make solid partners in this right, covering up Typhlosion's weaknesses well, with the former being able to maintain offensive momentum with Volt Switch, and the latter being able to set up hazards on an assortment of Pokemon Typhlosion lures in.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to a powerful STAB Eruption and strong offensive stats, Choice Scarf Typhlosion makes for a useful revenge-killer and late-game sweeper. Eruption is naturally the crux of the set, allowing Typhlosion to hit everything that doesn't resist it for respectable damage. Of course, Fire Blast's consistent damage remains important to Typhlosion's success, allowing him to perform even at sub-optimal HP. Focus Blast offers respectable neutral coverage alongside Typhlosion's STAB moves, as well as punishing Rock-types such as Kabutops and Omastar should they try to switch in on a predicted Fire-type attack. Hidden Power Rock rounds off Typhlosion's coverage, allowing it to hit Fire-type Pokemon hard, as well as allowing Typhlosion to consistently knock out incoming Aerodactyl.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Modest nature can be utilized to hit harder, although losing the ability to outpace Timid Liligant after a Quiver Dance is pretty detrimental to its ability as a revenge-killer. In terms of alternative moves, Flamethrower offers a more accurate alternative to Fire Blast, although without an item boosting its Special Attack Typhlosion really appreciates the extra power. Hidden Power Grass can be utilized over Hidden Power Rock to hit bulky Water-types hard, but it should be noted that targets such as Slowking and Lanturn need to be warn down quite significantly before being threatened by this move.</p>

<p>In order to retain Typhlosion's HP, and thusly it’s Eruption's power, a Rapid Spin user is necessary to Typhlosion's success. Kabutops and Sandslash are both apt partners for the task. AsBecause it lacks the immediate power to break through bulky resistances, Typhlosion thoroughly appreciates dedicated hazard support to wear down bulky Water- and Dragon-types that switch into it. Ferroseed, Druddigon, and Qwilfish all make solid examples of such partners, setting up Stealth Rock or Spikes overn common Typhlosion checks. However, certain dedicated special walls such as Slowking and Munchlax are capable of walling Typhlosion even with hazard support, making powerful Pursuit users such as Escavalier and Spiritomb good partners for trapping such threats.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Solarbeam

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While often seen utilizing a Choice item, by utilizing Sunny Day, Typhlosion can put holes in some of it's more conventional checks and counters, while also supporting Sunny Day teams well. Fire Blast offers Typhlosion a powerful STAB moveattack that gets further boosted by the presence of sun, even dealing respectable to damage to Pokemon such as Druddigons. Common switch-ins to Typhlosion, such as Slowking and Lanturn, find the tables turned as their Water-type STAB are reduced in power, asnd Typhlosion can respond with a powerful Solarbeam. Hidden Power Rock ties everything together, allowing Typhlosion to hit opposing Fire-types hard, preventing Pokemon such as Moltres from burning turns of Sunny Day (pun intended).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flamethrower can be utilized in the place of Fire Blast for a STAB move, should accuracy be more important than extra power. Heat Rock is an option over Life Orb, and allows Typhlosion to prolong the Sunny Day for an additional 3 turns, although the drop in power is very noticeable when met with Pokemon such as Slowking and Druddigon. Provided the nature of the set, Chlorophyll sweepers such as Victreebel and Sawsbuck makare excellent partners for Typhlosion, taking advantage of the Sunny Day it canby setting up and wearing down one aneach other's prospective checks and counters. Sunny Day supporters such as Uxie and Regirock both present solid support for Typhlosion, offering not only respectable checks to opposing Fire-types, but also Stealth Rock and Sunny Day, allowing Typhlosion to more effectively sweep. Rapid Spin support is obviously thoroughly appreciated for keeping Typhlosion alive and kicking, making Cryogonal an excellent partner, being immune to Ground-type attacks aimed at Typhlosion and capable of threatening Dragon-types with it’s STAB Ice Beam, while providing the obvious Rapid Spin support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>With most of its attacking options restricted to what's already been stated, Typhlosion's remaining possibilities are quite sparse. Substitute can be utilized to minimize prediction and get down to Blaze range more safely, although aside from this it accomplishes very little in terms of surmounting its standard set of checks and counters. Will-O-Wisp is a neat option in that it is capable of safely crippling a handful of Typhlosion’s common switch-ins, although there is rarely a time where Typhlosion wouldn't rather be attacking outright. With access to a couple physical moves such as Earthquake and Wild Charge, Typhlosion can overcome select counters such as Slowking and Lanturn with proper prediction, although in the end the same can be accomplished with Choice Specs and the same prediction abilities without starkly reducing Typhlosion's overall usefulness.</p>

[Checks &and Counters]

<p>As one would imagine, entry hazards, most noticeably Stealth Rock, are Typhlosion's undisputed bane, ruining its Eruption and generally wearing it down before it can accomplish much. Moreover, bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn all take very little from all but Choice Specs Hidden Power Grass and Solarbeam, and can cripple it with paralysis in return. Additionally, regardless of variant, priority such as Kabutops's Aqua Jet and Entei's Extremespeed keeps Typhlosion in check throughout the match. In more specific cases, the Choice Scarf set can be managed by defensively oriented Pokemon such as Druddigon and Clefable, whoich take very little damage from all but the inaccurate Focus Blast. In a similar vein, naturally bulky Pokemon such as Gallade can take any given hit and hit back hard in return. While Choice Specs has a few less conventional counters, it is much more vulnerable to being revenge-killed, with Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Galvantula, and Scolipede being capable of outpacing and knocking it out.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Typhlosion receives Flash Fire as a Dream World ability. This will be an excellent addition to Typhlosion's arsenal, as offering an immunity to Fire-type attacks would grant Typhlosion a method of preserving it's HP for Eruption, while further enhancing it's Fire-type attacks in the process.</p>

[Overview]

<p>In a tier occupied by powerful Fire-types such as Entei and Moltres, Typhlosion naturally has a bit of trouble finding a place on a team. Sporting the same well-rounded statistics as its brethren, Typhlosion is by no means frail, although a weakness to Stealth Rock and several common attacking types belittle this. However, the Typhlosion has a few aces up its sleeve that allows it to distinguish itself from its fellow Fire-types. Its movepool holds some hidden gems, including the potent Eruption, which offers Typhlosion a much-needed powerful STAB attack. Of course, that's not to say that Typhlosion is weak by any means. A high base 109 Special Attack, supported by a respectable 100 base Speed allows Typhlosion to hit hard and fast, and lends him to serving as a powerful Choice user, among other options. While Typhlosion is certainly no one-man army, a properly supported Typhlosion is capable of laying all manner of destruction in its wake.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Whilst wielding Choice Specs, Typhlosion becomes one of the most dangerous immediate special attackers in the tier. A maximum power Eruption being fired off 475 Special Attack is nothing to scoff at, it's even capable of beating bulky Pokemon such as Druddigon and Poliwrath with Stealth Rock in play. Of course, while ideal, Typhlosion can't always remain at full HP, and Fire Blast ensures that it retains a usable STAB move in such a scenario. Focus Blast offers respectable neutral coverage alongside Typhlosion's Fire-type attacks, as well as hitting Rock-types and dedicated special walls such as Clefable and Munchlax for super effective damage. Lastly, Hidden Power allows Typhlosion to round off his coverage or even reinforce it. Hidden Power Grass hits bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn hard, while offering a more accurate method to hit Rock-types. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types for super effective damage, allowing it to hit Pokemon such as Entei hard as it tries to switch in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Considering the fact that Choice Specs Typhlosion excels against slower, bulkier teams, a Modest nature is not out of the question, allowing it to push through more defensive Pokemon more efficiently. However, doing so, Typhlosion is outsped by Pokemon such as Moltres, Rotom, and Liligant, and risks a speed tie with Adamant Entei and should be taken into account when doing so. Even so, a Timid nature is usually more than enough, as can be observed in it’s damage:
</ul>
Flamethrower is an available option over Fire Blast, all boiling down to the long-standing power versus accuracy debate.</p>

<p>More so than most of its Fire-type brethren, Typhlosion needs Rapid Spin support to function, ensuring the most powerful Eruption possible. Kabutops stands out as a natural partner, maintaining a solid offensive presence while reliably spinning, with each other appreciating their abilities to lure in bulky Water-types and wearing them down. Moreover, Kabutops lures in bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth, which Typhlosion can in turn threaten with its STAB attacks. As Typhlosion is hard-pressed to outpace faster teams, paralysis support can help Typhlosion burn through teams. Rotom-C and Ferroseed both make solid partners in this right, covering up Typhlosion's weaknesses well, with the former being able to maintain offensive momentum with Volt Switch, and the latter being able to set up hazards on an assortment of Pokemon Typhlosion lures in.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to a powerful STAB Eruption and strong offensive stats, Choice Scarf Typhlosion makes for a useful revenge-killer and late-game sweeper. Eruption is naturally the crux of the set, allowing Typhlosion to hit everything that doesn't resist it for respectable damage. Of course, Fire Blast's consistent damage remains important to Typhlosion's success, allowing him to perform even at sub-optimal HP. Focus Blast offers respectable neutral coverage alongside Typhlosion's STAB moves, as well as punishing Rock-types such as Kabutops and Omastar should they try to switch in on a predicted Fire-type attack. Hidden Power Rock rounds off Typhlosion's coverage, allowing it to hit Fire-type Pokemon hard, as well as allowing Typhlosion to consistently knock out incoming Aerodactyl.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Modest nature can be utilized to hit harder, although losing the ability to outpace Timid Liligant after a Quiver Dance is pretty detrimental to its ability as a revenge-killer. In terms of alternative moves, Flamethrower offers a more accurate alternative to Fire Blast, although without an item boosting its Special Attack Typhlosion really appreciates the extra power. Hidden Power Grass can be utilized over Hidden Power Rock to hit bulky Water-types hard, but it should be noted that targets such as Slowking and Lanturn need to be warn down quite significantly before being threatened by this move.</p>

<p>In order to retain Typhlosion's HP and Eruption's power, a Rapid Spin user is necessary to Typhlosion's success. Kabutops and Sandslash are both apt partners for the task. Because it lacks the immediate power to break through bulky resistances, Typhlosion thoroughly appreciates dedicated hazard support to wear down bulky Water- and Dragon-types that switch into it. Ferroseed, Druddigon, and Qwilfish all make solid examples of such partners, setting up Stealth Rock or Spikes on common Typhlosion checks. However, certain dedicated special walls such as Slowking and Munchlax are capable of walling Typhlosion even with hazard support, making powerful Pursuit users such as Escavalier and Spiritomb good partners for trapping such threats.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Solarbeam

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While often seen utilizing a Choice item, by utilizing Sunny Day, Typhlosion can put holes in some of its more conventional checks and counters, while also supporting Sunny Day teams. Fire Blast offers Typhlosion a powerful STAB attack that gets further boosted by the presence of sun, even dealing respectable to damage to Pokemon such as Druddigon. Common switch-ins to Typhlosion, such as Slowking and Lanturn, find the tables turned as their Water-type STAB are reduced in power, and Typhlosion can respond with a powerful Solarbeam. Hidden Power Rock ties everything together, allowing Typhlosion to hit opposing Fire-types hard, preventing Pokemon such as Moltres from burning turns of Sunny Day (pun intended).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flamethrower can be utilized in the place of Fire Blast for a STAB move, should accuracy be more important than extra power. Heat Rock is an option over Life Orb and allows Typhlosion to prolong the Sunny Day for an additional 3 turns, although the drop in power is very noticeable when met with Pokemon such as Slowking and Druddigon. Provided the nature of the set, Chlorophyll sweepers such as Victreebel and Sawsbuck are excellent partners for Typhlosion, taking advantage of the Sunny Day by setting up and wearing down each other's prospective checks and counters. Sunny Day supporters such as Uxie and Regirock both present solid support for Typhlosion, offering not only respectable checks to opposing Fire-types, but also Stealth Rock and Sunny Day, allowing Typhlosion to more effectively sweep. Rapid Spin support is obviously thoroughly appreciated for keeping Typhlosion alive and kicking, making Cryogonal an excellent partner, being immune to Ground-type attacks aimed at Typhlosion and capable of threatening Dragon-types with it’s STAB Ice Beam, while providing the obvious Rapid Spin support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>With most of its attacking options restricted to what's already been stated, Typhlosion's remaining possibilities are quite sparse. Substitute can be utilized to minimize prediction and get down to Blaze range more safely, although aside from this it accomplishes very little in terms of surmounting its standard set of checks and counters. Will-O-Wisp is a neat option in that it is capable of safely crippling a handful of Typhlosion’s common switch-ins, although there is rarely a time where Typhlosion wouldn't rather be attacking outright. With access to a couple physical moves such as Earthquake and Wild Charge, Typhlosion can overcome select counters such as Slowking and Lanturn with proper prediction, although in the end the same can be accomplished with Choice Specs and the same prediction abilities without starkly reducing Typhlosion's overall usefulness.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As one would imagine, entry hazards, notably Stealth Rock, are Typhlosion's undisputed bane, ruining its Eruption and generally wearing it down before it can accomplish much. Moreover, bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn take very little from all but Choice Specs Hidden Power Grass and Solarbeam, and can cripple it with paralysis in return. Additionally, regardless of variant, priority such as Kabutops's Aqua Jet and Entei's Extremespeed keeps Typhlosion in check throughout the match. In more specific cases, the Choice Scarf set can be managed by defensively oriented Pokemon such as Druddigon and Clefable, which take very little damage from all but the inaccurate Focus Blast. In a similar vein, naturally bulky Pokemon such as Gallade can take any given hit and hit back hard in return. While Choice Specs has a few less conventional counters, it is much more vulnerable to being revenge-killed, with Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Galvantula, and Scolipede being capable of outpacing and knocking it out.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Typhlosion receives Flash Fire as a Dream World ability. This will be an excellent addition to Typhlosion's arsenal, as offering an immunity to Fire-type attacks would grant Typhlosion a method of preserving its HP for Eruption, while further enhancing its Fire-type attacks in the process.</p>

- Use the straight aphostrophe please, there is a way to change it on Word, but it escapes me right now.
- Include Blaze, and how it can power up Fire Blast to about Eruption's power
- Its is the possessive; it's is the contraction
- Pokemon are plural as well, for example Pikachu is also the plural version

Good job writing this!

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Now that you implemented Yonko's check, here's a second so we can get this done. Good job on the analysis. Other than a few small things (there's no hyphen in revenge kill or any variant on it, Lilligant>Liligant, and SolarBeam>Solarbeam (same for ExtremeSpeed)) this is pretty much free of anything repeated.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>In a tier occupied by powerful Fire-types such as Entei and Moltres, Typhlosion naturally has a bit of trouble finding a place on a team. Sporting the same well-rounded statistics as its brethren, Typhlosion is by no means frail, although a weakness to Stealth Rock and several common attacking types belittle detract from this. However, the Typhlosion has a few aces up its sleeve that allows allow it to distinguish itself from its fellow Fire-types. Its movepool holds some hidden gems, including the potent Eruption, which offers Typhlosion a much-needed powerful STAB attack. Of course, that's not to say that Typhlosion is weak by any means. A high base 109 Special Attack, (remove comma) supported by a respectable 100 base 100 Speed allows Typhlosion to hit hard and fast, (remove comma) and lends him it to serving as a powerful Choice item user, among other options. While Typhlosion is certainly no one-man army, a properly supported Typhlosion is capable of laying all manner of destruction in its wake.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Whilst wielding Choice Specs, Typhlosion becomes one of the most dangerous immediate special attackers in the tier. A maximum power Eruption being fired off 475 Special Attack is nothing to scoff at, (change to semicolon) it's even capable of beating bulky Pokemon such as Druddigon and Poliwrath with Stealth Rock in play. Of course, while ideal, Typhlosion can't always remain at full HP, and so Fire Blast ensures that it retains a usable STAB move in outside of such a scenario. Additionally, while being worn down over time when Typhlosion is worn down enough, Blaze can supplement Fire Blast's power to the point where the drop in Base Power is almost unnoticeable. Focus Blast offers respectable neutral coverage alongside Typhlosion's Fire-type attacks, as well as hitting Rock-types and dedicated special walls such as Clefable and Munchlax for super effective damage. Lastly, Hidden Power allows Typhlosion to round off his its coverage or even reinforce it. Hidden Power Grass hits bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn hard, while offering a more accurate method to hit Rock-types. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types for super effective damage, allowing it to hit Pokemon such as Entei hard as it tries to switch in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Considering the fact that Choice Specs Typhlosion excels against slower, bulkier teams, a Modest nature is not out of the question, allowing it to push through more defensive Pokemon more efficiently. However, when doing so, Typhlosion is outsped by Pokemon (add comma) such as Moltres, Rotom, and Liligant Lilligant, and risks a speed Speed tie with Adamant Entei (add comma) and this should be taken into account when doing so. Even so, a Timid nature is usually more than enough, as can be observed in it’s (change to apostrophe) damage:
</ul>
Flamethrower is an available option over Fire Blast, all the choice boiling down to the long-standing power versus accuracy debate.</p>

<p>More so than most of its Fire-type brethren, Typhlosion needs Rapid Spin support to function, ensuring the most powerful Eruption possible. Kabutops stands out as a natural partner, maintaining a solid offensive presence while reliably spinning, with each other appreciating their abilities to lure in bulky Water-types and wearing them down (this bit I put in bold seemed a little confusingly phrased to me; are you trying to say something like "with each appreciating the other's ability to lure in bulky-Water-types and wear them down" or "with Typhlosion appreciating its ability to lure in bulky Water-types and wear them down" or something else that I'm missing?). Moreover, Kabutops lures in bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth, which Typhlosion can in turn threaten with its STAB attacks. As Typhlosion is hard-pressed to outpace faster teams, paralysis support can help Typhlosion burn through teams. Rotom-C and Ferroseed both make solid partners in this right, covering up Typhlosion's weaknesses well, with the former being able to maintain offensive momentum with Volt Switch, (remove comma) and the latter being able to set up hazards on an assortment of Pokemon Typhlosion lures in.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to a powerful STAB Eruption and strong offensive stats, Choice Scarf Typhlosion makes for a useful revenge-killer (remove hyphen) and late-game sweeper. Eruption is naturally the crux of the set, allowing Typhlosion to hit everything that doesn't resist it for respectable damage. Of course, Fire Blast's consistent damage remains important to Typhlosion's success, allowing him it to perform even at sub-optimal HP. Focus Blast offers respectable neutral coverage alongside Typhlosion's STAB moves, as well as punishing Rock-types such as Kabutops and Omastar should they try to switch in on a predicted Fire-type attack. Hidden Power Rock rounds off Typhlosion's coverage, allowing it to hit Fire-type Pokemon hard, as well as allowing Typhlosion to consistently knock out incoming Aerodactyl.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Modest nature can be utilized to hit harder, although losing the ability to outpace Timid Liligant Lilligant after a Quiver Dance is pretty detrimental to its Typhlosion's ability as a revenge-killer (remove hyphen). In terms of alternative moves, Flamethrower offers a more accurate alternative to Fire Blast, although without an item boosting its Special Attack Typhlosion really appreciates the extra power. Hidden Power Grass can be utilized over Hidden Power Rock to hit bulky Water-types hard, but it should be noted that targets such as Slowking and Lanturn need to be warn worn down quite significantly before being threatened by this move.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Solarbeam SolarBeam

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While often seen utilizing a Choice item, by utilizing Sunny Day, Typhlosion can put holes in some of its more conventional checks and counters, while also supporting Sunny Day teams. Fire Blast offers Typhlosion a powerful STAB attack that gets further boosted by the presence of sun, even dealing respectable to damage to Pokemon such as Druddigon. Common switch-ins to Typhlosion, such as Slowking and Lanturn, find the tables turned as their Water-type STAB moves are reduced in power, and Typhlosion can respond with a powerful Solarbeam SolarBeam. Hidden Power Rock ties everything together, allowing Typhlosion to hit opposing Fire-types hard, preventing Pokemon such as Moltres from burning turns of Sunny Day (pun intended).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Flamethrower can be utilized in the place of Fire Blast for a STAB move, should accuracy be more important than extra power. Heat Rock is an option over Life Orb and allows Typhlosion to prolong the Sunny Day for an additional 3 turns, although the drop in power is very noticeable when met with Pokemon such as Slowking and Druddigon. Provided Due to the nature of the set, Chlorophyll sweepers such as Victreebel and Sawsbuck are excellent partners for Typhlosion, taking advantage of the Sunny Day by setting up and wearing down each other's prospective checks and counters. Sunny Day supporters such as Uxie and Regirock both present solid support for Typhlosion, offering not only respectable checks to opposing Fire-types, (remove comma) but also Stealth Rock and Sunny Day, allowing Typhlosion to more effectively sweep. Rapid Spin support is obviously thoroughly appreciated for keeping Typhlosion alive and kicking, making Cryogonal an excellent partner, being immune to Ground-type attacks aimed at Typhlosion and capable of threatening Dragon-types with it’s (change to straight apostrophe) STAB Ice Beam, while providing the obvious Rapid Spin support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>With most of its attacking options restricted to what's already been stated, Typhlosion's remaining possibilities are quite sparse. Substitute can be utilized to minimize prediction and get down to Blaze range more safely, although aside from this it accomplishes very little in terms of surmounting its Typhlosion's standard set of checks and counters. Will-O-Wisp is a neat option in that it is capable of safely crippling a handful of Typhlosion’s (change to straight apostrophe) common switch-ins, although there is rarely a time where Typhlosion wouldn't rather be attacking outright. With access to a couple physical moves such as Earthquake and Wild Charge, Typhlosion can overcome select counters such as Slowking and Lanturn with proper prediction, although in the end the same can be accomplished with Choice Specs and the same prediction abilities without starkly reducing Typhlosion's overall usefulness.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As one would imagine, entry hazards, notably Stealth Rock, are Typhlosion's undisputed bane, ruining its Eruption and generally wearing it down before it can accomplish much. Moreover, bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Lanturn take very little from all but Choice Specs Hidden Power Grass and Solarbeam SolarBeam, (remove comma) and can cripple it with paralysis in return. Additionally, regardless of variant, priority (add comma) such as Kabutops's Aqua Jet and Entei's Extremespeed ExtremeSpeed (add comma) keeps Typhlosion in check throughout the match. In more specific cases, the Choice Scarf set can be managed by defensively oriented Pokemon such as Druddigon and Clefable, which take very little damage from all but the inaccurate Focus Blast. In a similar vein, naturally bulky Pokemon such as Gallade can take any given hit and hit back hard in return. While Choice Specs has a few less conventional counters, it is much more vulnerable to being revenge-killed (remove hyphen), with Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Galvantula, and Scolipede being capable of outpacing and knocking it out.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Typhlosion receives Flash Fire as a Dream World ability. This will be an excellent addition to Typhlosion's arsenal, as offering an immunity to Fire-type attacks would grant Typhlosion a method of preserving its HP for Eruption, while further enhancing its Fire-type attacks in the process.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)