The Characteristics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this is courtesy of my friend Denin and his Nintendo Power guide for Pokemon D/P.

It seems that in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl there's a thing called a Characteristic. This characteristic is independant of natures and governs how fast a stat grows in the game. Perhaps this is the game telling us what IV is the Pokemon's highest, but this is not certain currently. It could even be a second nature-like thing, but there's NO drawback to characteristics.

Here's a listing of all of the stats and what the game will say provided the stat will grow quickly.

Stats Quickly Rise

HP...
:Loves to eat
:Often dozes off
:Often naps
:Scatters things often
:Likes to relax

Attack...
:P:Proud of its power
:Likes to thrash about
:A little quick-tempered
:Likes to fight
:Hot tempered

Defense...
:Sturdy body
:Capable of taking hits
:Highly persistent
:Good endurance
:Good perseverence

Special Attack...
:Highly curious
:Mischeavious
:Thoroughly cunning
:Often lost in thought
:Very finicky

Special Defense...
:Strong willed
:Somewhat vain
:Strongly defiant
:Hates to lose
:Somewhat stubborn

Speed...
:Likes to run
:Alert to sounds
:Impetuous and silly
:Somewhat of a clown
:Quick to flee

Discuss, and any new information would be greatly appreciated.

If its an IV thing then its most welcome, because I for one can never be arsed with all this IV calculation malarkey.

If its an IV thing then its most welcome, because I for one can never be arsed with all this IV calculation malarkey.
Yeah, its kinda rough, but i love that emerald guy who tells you if you have a 31 =P
I use him a ton...

Kinda cool that they added something new, hopefully it'll be figured out soon... (or before i get a DS and D/P)

ADH was that list in any specific order because it's odd that Tochukaso has a max HP and the Characteristic at the top of the list for HP is the same one as his Turtwig.

Unless each characteristic within a stat has an IV range I don't think there's anything going on about the different names. It does seem to be IVs, I got a Jolly Cranidos first try that had an excellent speed IV and it said that it likes to run.

Thanks to Aeolus for formatting the posting.

ADH was that list in any specific order because it's odd that Tochukaso has a max HP and the Characteristic at the top of the list for HP is the same one as his Turtwig.
Possibly not, my 31 Speed IV Salamence is "Alert to sounds."

The annoying thing is that you only get one characteristic (IV), whereas the IV guy gave multiple IVs.

I asked a friend who knows japanese and he told me that it depends on the module. IV mod 5 can give 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4. Depending on what you obtain, you'll get a different phrase. We don't know more, but here's the link to the japanese info:

http://www18.atwiki.jp/pokemondp/pages/23.html
Oh gosh, modulus.

So its just some random (well not random) thing then?
It takes the IV mod 5 then gives you the characteristic based on the mod?

Kinda wierd... Is it the Highest IV then? Or a random IV to take the mod of?

(For those that don't know, modulus is like the IV divided by 5, then the remainder. 30 mod 5 =- (three bar equal sign goes there...) 0, so when you have an IV of 30 (or anything evenly divisible by 5) it gives you the one for 0.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's DV mod 5, seeing as how there are five possibilities for each DV. Not mod 6.

By all the evidence given so far, it's become pretty clear that it's entirely based off of the highest DV.

Whoops, i read 5 as one of the possibilties making it mod 5. I'll change that then.

Glad its nothing something else I'd have to bread for... ugh.

I can't wait for the D/P breeding info though

Great, my Relaxed Twiggy ( Grotle ) hates to lose. Meh, I guess SDef is better than SAtk or Spd.... Although I would have preferred it be HP / Atk / Def. :x

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
X-Act said:
Well, that would mean that if the IV is 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30, then it gets message #1, if it is 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, or 31, it gets message #2, etc, for suitably ordered messages. This doesn't seem intuitively correct, or, if anything, it doesn't really help people with how high is the IV.

Could it be just integer division instead of mod? If you do 1+floor(IV/7) for the message number, for instance, it would give message #1 if the IV is between 0 and 6, message #2 if the IV is between 7 and 13, message #3 if the IV is between 14 and 20, message #4 if the IV is between 21 and 27, and message #5 if the IV is between 28 and 31.
I considered that, but that actually seems less intuitive than modulus to me. You will rarely (never) see the lower messages if it's simple integer division because the class of messages displayed seems to be based on your highest DV; the likelihood of getting one of the lower messages then is very rare.

You can use it to help figure out the highest DV if you have a general idea of what your other DVs are, but even then you're using a calculator and you might as well just go the whole way.

Then my faith in that this is an IV thing is restored seeing as how My Grotle has a Sturdy Body and a perfect defense IV

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, I actually deleted that post, since in hindsight it didn't make sense at all.

So it seems like it takes the highest IV stat mod 5 to determine which message is chosen for that Pokemon.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah, but if you have all 31 IVs then it would be random
(apparently some people gave me some of these).

"chikara ga Jiman"

Interesting

At first I thought the "characteristic" description on the individual pokemon's summary page was an elaboration of the nature (Adamant, Modest, Jolly, etc.), but it seems it is indeed IV related.

I look forward to further clarification/confirmation...

Yeah, I actually deleted that post, since in hindsight it didn't make sense at all.

So it seems like it takes the highest IV stat mod 5 to determine which message is chosen for that Pokemon.
So it would show a 29 IV over a 31 IV? Of course, this is the first thread I have seen discussing modules outside of Hidden Power calcs, which I get helplessly lost in.

So it would show a 29 IV over a 31 IV? Of course, this is the first thread I have seen discussing modules outside of Hidden Power calcs, which I get helplessly lost in.
No, it would take the 31 IV because its higher, then take the mod.

Okay, so it takes the highest IV and divides by 5. If the remainder is 0, it shows the Mod 1 description for that stat. Remainder 1, Mod 2 and so on. Am I right?

So that's means that the second description for each stat indicates a perfect IV. What happens if you have multiple perfect IVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)