Smogon Wi-Fi Tournament #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
That's right! Smogon is hosting a Wi-Fi Tournament! Other sites have been hosting them, but we all know ours will be better? Well, we think so anyway. Please be sure to read all the rules, because this differs from your usual NetBattle tournament we're all fond of.

There will be a set time for this tournament. That time will be 2 PM EST June 23rd. Hopefully the tournament should only take 5-6 hours if that. If you cannot put in for that much, I guess you aren't joining. Tournaments dragged out over weeks and weeks kinda suck. People lose interest in them.

This format worked fairly well for a tournament myself and some other Smogoneers competed in on the 5th of May. While there were some troubles with that, with strict hosting to avoid delays it will run smoothly.

Do not sign up in this topic. A seperate topic will be made to sign up on the 22nd of June. You will have until 11:59 PM EST on the 22nd of June to sign up. You may use this topic, however, to discuss the tournament and how much you're going to "pwn" every other "n00b". (ie Roy)

Rules:
  • Single Battle format. Use Wi-Fi to set levels to 100.
  • The following Pokemon are banned: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latios, Latias, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys (all forms), Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus (all types). Yes, that means Celebi and Jirachi are allowed, but please refer to the rule below.
  • Please do not use sharked Pokemon. I know this is probably pointless to state but some of us have spent a lot of time on our teams for D/P.
  • Sleep clause, item clause, and species clause. OHKO ban. No. I did not forget evasion ban. I don't think it matters in D/P so lets try it out.
  • Any disconnections will be judged on a case by case basis by a "Council". Please see below.

The one thing Nintendo dropped the ball on with Wi-Fi is disconnections. It does not tell you which party disconnected. As such, 5 people will be given a "council" spot to debate on disconnections. Player character, past record, other disconnections, and battle status will be taken into account. Such as if player A has a 6x DD Gyarados and player B has only 1 Pokemon left, and its a 2 HP Staraptor, player A will win. We realize this may be unfair with some decisions, but that is what you get by signing up. There has to be some way of mediating disputes. If you sign up for the tournament you are automatically in acceptance of whatever the tournament director(s) decide.

There will be an IRC channel created expressly for the tournament. You must use this IRC channel since it will be very easy to contact your opponent among other things. You don't know how to use IRC? Well, you have over a month to find out then, don't you. www.mirc.com There are enough tutorials on this site to assist you.

Also, please don't do anything dumb like sharing DSes. That bogs down the tournament and any delays such as this will result in swift disqualifications from the tournament.

Thank you, and good luck. If you have any questions please feel free to ask here.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
This looks like it will be amazing. I definitely plan on signing up for this when I get the chance.

*gets team ready*

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Like the Nintendo tournaments, I'm not sure I like the idea of allowing "event" legendaries (Celebi, Jirachi, and Manaphy)... even if they're not great, they confer a special advantage to someone who either was at the right place at the right time, or was willing to fork over some extra dough. This probably applies more to Manaphy since Celebi and Jirachi can be cloned, but still, I don't like it for any of them. I'm even more against NYPC moves on the same grounds.

I'm gonna have to agree with Lucky about the lack of an Evasion Clause, or at least the lack of a evasion + BP ban. But hey, you're the boss, and I can kinda see your reasoning with all the new, hard-hitting moves out there.

Anyway, can't wait for this to go down. If we do push it back, I hope it's not too far back as I'm heading out of the country for 2-2 1/2 weeks on May 16th, and I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to be able to get a wireless connection down there, so the month and 1/2 wait kinda works out for me.

Three cheers for an item clause <_<

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
why would that be pushing it? i just beat the elite 4 last night so i still need a lot of time to get a competitive team.

If you really want to discourage sharking banning Celebi and Jirachi would probably be a good idea. It's kinda sketchy to ban Sheimi and allow these two anyway. Though for the record, Manaphy can be probably cloned with the GTS glitch.

I won't be joining since DP isn't even out here yet, just expressing some thoughts. Also just because it's a sort of loophole, maybe prohibite the use of the Ditto glitch for illegal moves as well, for those who have a glitched Japanese version.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm gonna have to agree with Misty and Lucky about the lack of an Evasion Clause, or at least the lack of a evasion + BP ban. But hey, you're the boss, and I can kinda see your reasoning with all the new, hard-hitting moves out there.
fyi i said nothing about evasion, i won't argue the evasion point because people seem to want to try it.

Cool... yeah I have nothing to say other than I'm in whenever signups are made. Assuming my team is ready by then. Although the fact that it takes place over the summer might be a problem for me.

can i use gardevoir ??????

im going to use someone elses ds and then dc about 87 times ok dont dq me and if you do let me back in the tournament later ok

can i use gardevoir ?????

Skarm is running this?

The Skarm? The Skarm who I copy all my movesets from?

can i use gardevoir PLEASE it is my favorite pokemon!?!?!?

Synre, the Pokemon Marksman, will be joining the tournament.

Our hideout might be discovered! I better tell boss!

(I think I ran out of references :()

EDIT: But seriously on a more important note the 23rd is the only Saturday in June I can't make it I think, gl guys ;/

EDIT2: not sure if you care but the finals thing of the wobba wobba triweekly thing is that day too

I'll be in. I think it's important to have the tournament that long away because D/P literally just came out; it might be a little early, even. But I get Pearl this weekend so I'll probably be ready.

I almost for sure can make this so I am excited about this! However I bet a lot of people will think I sharked my 2 shinies even though I didn't :/ ( I edited this post because originally I had posted which pokemon were shiny and realized that was giving away 1/3rd of my team!)

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Could we get some serious discussion of rules before announcing tournaments? I am really not looking forward to firstly obtaining and secondly training a DT Pass Celebi only to find that after this tournament it gets banned and never brought back.

Honestly, the first Smogon DP tournament is a huge deal afaic.. I think we should really try to get this right.

Also I am gonna win!

Have a nice day.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
You should be shot for even thinking about using a DT/BP uber anyway!

Reserving post to remind myself later I want to get in on this.

im glad this will be a while from now... it might be enough time to train up a team to use for it. not necessarily the best team, but a team nonetheless.

suggesting banning celebi/jirachi to discourage sharking for things like that altogether.

I think this tournament will serve a good purpose to give everyone a glimpse as to what the competitive scene will be all about.

I thought I would get that in a small gamefaqs tournament(16 people) but no, I won easily because only 1 other person wasn't using their in game team and even that guy wasn't that good.

Heh, this is about a week before a huge Super Smash tournament I'm going to, so that's gonna be a fun week. =D

how often will wifi tournaments be? will they be every few months, weeks? btw about IRC, will you give out the channel name closer to when the tournament starts (a.k.a. when you make the channel) or what? just curious, since i don't know too much about IRC.

Hill

ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day
is a Past WCoP Champion
I don't really see the point of allowing evasion and still banning ohko. I also agree with everyone else that claimed for Celebi/Jirachi ban because they are event pokemon.

Anyway, I'm in. But please revise these 2 things skarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)