The Expert Belt Dojo (Q&A) (CHALLENGES CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The Expert Belt Dojo

Hello traveling trainers, and welcome to the Expert Belt Dojo! My name is DarkSlay, and I am the sensei of this sacred place. Here, trainers both new and experienced may seek the answers to the questions that they have and hone their skills in order to better understand their roles as a trainer in the ASB world. My apprentices and I will gladly guide you on your journey to become a Pokemon master. So come on in and let’s begin your adventure!

The Path to Knowledge

The path to becoming a Pokemon master is both dangerous and unknown. Thankfully, you are not alone! This is the place to ask questions about the entire ASB game. Do not be shy: we will answer any question that you may have! Whether it’s about how to actually play the game, which Pokemon is better than another, or what is the result of combining certain moves for combos, the Dojo is here to help new and veteran players understand the structure of ASB and to help trainers become more experienced at this game.
Here are a few example questions as to what may be asked in the Expert Belt Dojo:

• To understand the game and mechanics of Pokemon. (EX: What is STAB? Is Water weak to Grass? What typing is my _____? What are abilities?)
  • To understand the game and mechanics of ASB. (EX: How do I write out a round for a match? What does “INSERT MOVE” do here in ASB? Why does ______ have these stats, and what do these stars mean? How much damage does “INSERT MOVE” do with _________? What is a “chill”?)
  • To ask preferential questions. (EX: Which Pokemon is better for my team, Gastly or Litwick? What Fire move should I teach my Charmander? What nature should I make my Totodile?)
  • To ask about how to use advanced strategies of ASB. (EX: What would happen if I combine ExtremeSpeed and Twister for a combo move? What are the chances that my Scyther will dodge this attack from Slowpoke? Does “INSERT MOVE” hit this Pokemon if it has “INSERT ABILITY”?)
  • Other miscellaneous questions concerning ASB. (EX: What is a melee battle? What is a tag team battle? What is a street brawl? How do I make a good arena, and what is/isn’t allowed to be in it?)
Here are a few examples as to what NOT to ask:

Questions about how to referee games. (There is another thread for those questions.)
Questions about changing the ASB game itself. (EX: “Why can’t we make Flamethrower have less accuracy because it’s a straight line attack?”)
Off-topic questions or topics. (EX: “How should I EV my Dunsparce for my in-game team?” or “Why are you a secretary and can I be one too?”)

Knowledge Through Experience

The Expert Belt Dojo isn’t just a place for questions: it is an arena to test your skills in combat! Join us as we host a Dojo exclusive style of battle called a Two Turn Brawl. In these battles, we will match you up with a trainer (or if there is none, with an apprentice or myself) and allow you to participate in a short battle. These battles play out a bit differently than normal battles, since we are trying to see if you’re understanding the game of ASB rather than seeing if you can win a match. Here is how the game works:

TWO TURN BRAWL RULES
1 V 1 Singles Match
No Items
One Ability
No Chills or Recoveries
Arena: Dojo Grounds

The dojo consists of three small battlefields for trainers to practice in. They are flat with a grass floor and have no obstacles. There is a constant supply of water from the fountains around the dojo, the ground is soft which allows for digging and seismic activity, and the fields are located outside. This means that all moves and abilities are allowed.

Dojo Staff

Here is a list of who works here at the dojo. Feel free to ask for one of these individuals if you ever need assistance!

Sensei: DarkSlay
Dojo Referees:
Goldenknight
SevenDeadlySins
Athenodoros
Engineer Pikachu
Convenience Store Keepers:
Kaxtar
iiMKUltra

APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED

TO APPLY: Please PM me with a short description as to why you want the job, as well as the following things:

1. Three links to non-referee posts you have made that show me you know the mechanics of ASB well (they should be creative and intuitive).
2. Three moves that are your favorite, and explain how you use them.
3. One example of a possible combo move. Impress me, but be realistic!

Happy battling, trainers! - DarkSlay

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dojo Convenience Store

The Dojo Convenience Store

At the Expert Belt Dojo, we believe that the best way to train trainers is to put them in the right direction. In order to do that, we have a few prizes you can buy for yourselves to give you a small edge! You can buy these prizes in any order you wish.

Prize #1- One Trainer Counter: 1 Dojo Counter
Prize #2- One Lum Berry: 2 Dojo Counters
Prize #3- One Expert Counter (a universal counter): 3 Dojo Counters

Note, however, that you can only receive these gifts once. Once you buy a gift, you cannot buy a second of the same gift again. Don’t worry: we’ll be keeping track of who buys what so that no one gets confused! When you buy all three gifts, there is a second reward: you will graduate from this dojo and be placed on our “Black Belt Trainer” list as an honor to your improvement!

Darkamber8828- 1 Dojo Counter, Prize #1 Bought, Prize #3 Bought
Its A Random- 1 Dojo Counter, Prize #1 Bought
Venser- 0 Dojo Counters, Prize #1 Bought, Prize #3 Bought, Prize #2 Bought - BLACK BELT
Flora- 1 Dojo Counter, Prize #1 Bought
Dummy007- 0 Dojo Counters, Prize #1 Bought
Leethoof- 0 Dojo Counters, Prize #1 Bought
Son Of Shadoo- 0 Dojo Counters, Prize #2 Bought
Smashlloyd20- 0 Dojo Counters, Prize #1 Bought
Blue-Tornado- 0 Dojo Counters, Prize #1 Bought
Destiny_Warrior- 0 Dojo Counters, Prize #1 Bought, Prize #3 Bought
elDino- 0 Dojo Counters, Prize #1 Bought
dogfish44 - 0 Dojo Counters, Prize #1 Bought

Counters redeemed (so far) in the week of 4-25-11- 23 (Kaxtar: 8, iiMKUltra: 15)

If you believe your total to be wrong, please inform either Kaxypoo or myself.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Enters Dojo, with Shovrill the Drilbur in tow

Hi there, I have a few questions I want to ask.

Firstly, This Drilbur I have here is looking to become a better battler & is looking to address his shortcomings. What would happen if I combine the following for this Drilbur:

• Rapid Spin & Dig
  • Rapid Spin & Aerial Ace
  • Rapid Spin & Earthquake
  • Rapid Spin & Mud Slap
  • Mud Sport & Metal/Crush Claw
Also, I want to enter this Drilbur in one of these two turn brawls. What do I do to participate in one? I don't think the OP says clearly what to do, so yeah.

This is how it's supposed to work, isn't it?

I'll take you on...if I can. With Buff the Poliwag

I'd like to ask, what would happen if I used...

• Whirlpool (self, avec Water Absorb)
  • Whirlpool (WA self)+Ice Beam (whirlpool)
  • Whirlpool (WA self)+Blizzard (whirlpool)
  • Surf+Ice Beam (wave)
  • Surf+Blizzard (wave)
  • Surf+Toxic
  • Surf+Spore/Stun Spore
  • Splash+Physical Move
  • Whirlpool+Hypnosis
  • Flamethrower+Sludge Bomb
  • Earthquake+Surf

So yeah.

Also, water-typed Shell Breaker: Omanyte or Shellder? Hazards and Swift Swim (I've got a Drizzler) or Skill Link'd Icicle Spear?

Ok, question time. Can I increase Inferno's accuracy by using it in combo with Bite/Crunch? The idea is that Houndoom bites, latches on and spits out the fireball without letting go or immediately after letting go.
And in a doubles battle, can something like a Tyranitar use Fling to add some power and/or reach to the (momentum based) moves of an appropriately sized teammate?

DarkSlay

Enters Dojo, with Shovrill the Drilbur in tow

Hi there, I have a few questions I want to ask.

Firstly, This Drilbur I have here is looking to become a better battler & is looking to address his shortcomings. What would happen if I combine the following for this Drilbur:

• Rapid Spin & Dig
  • Rapid Spin & Aerial Ace
  • Rapid Spin & Earthquake
  • Rapid Spin & Mud Slap
  • Mud Sport & Metal/Crush Claw
Also, I want to enter this Drilbur in one of these two turn brawls. What do I do to participate in one? I don't think the OP says clearly what to do, so yeah.

This is how it's supposed to work, isn't it?
First, I'll deal with the combo moves. Keep in mind: you cannot combine all moves together. They need to make sense! Now, let's see which of these can be used:

• Rapid Spin & Dig: The Rapid Spin should increase the drilling speed and allow Drilbur to dig deeper. What does this do? It increases the velocity of the Dig, which means both that damage may be increased AND Drilbur will be able to hit almost all Levitate Pokemon. This is a Ground based attack.
  • Rapid Spin & Aerial Ace: Doesn't make much sense.
  • Rapid Spin & Earthquake: Spinning doesn't affect the Earthquake's impact, so no effect.
  • Rapid Spin & Mud Slap: Spinning in mud probably increases both the amount of mud thrown for the slap AND the velocity of the mud. I'd say that it does a slightly larger amount of damage plus decreases accuracy by two stages rather than one. This is a Ground based attack.
  • Mud Sport & Metal/Crush Claw: Most likely, this covers your claws with mud. That means that the attack changes to a Ground-type move, which gets STAB and the energy bonus from STAB. Most likely, you will want to use this with Crush Claw as an alternative to Earthquake, which is handy for matches where seismic activity is not allowed. It retains the Defense drop as well.
For the Two Turn Brawl, you did the right thing. Since there are already set rules, you just need to post that you are interested! You will be paired with Darkamber. PM me your Pokemon and we can begin!

I'll take you on...if I can. With Buff the Poliwag

I'd like to ask, what would happen if I used...

• Whirlpool (self, avec Water Absorb)
  • Whirlpool (WA self)+Ice Beam (whirlpool)
  • Whirlpool (WA self)+Blizzard (whirlpool)
  • Surf+Ice Beam (wave)
  • Surf+Blizzard (wave)
  • Surf+Toxic
  • Surf+Spore/Stun Spore
  • Splash+Physical Move
  • Whirlpool+Hypnosis
  • Flamethrower+Sludge Bomb
  • Earthquake+Surf

So yeah.

Also, water-typed Shell Breaker: Omanyte or Shellder? Hazards and Swift Swim (I've got a Drizzler) or Skill Link'd Icicle Spear?
Okay, like before, we'll start with the combos. One thing before I start: it is near impossible to combine a pure status move with an attacking move. If you do, it will most likely either not cause the status automatically or not work at all. With that out of the way, here we go:

• Whirlpool (self, avec Water Absorb): This is considered a healing move that goes against the "recovery move" count established before the match. The 2-5 turns of Whirlpool do not happen, since Water Absorb stops the entire attack to heal.
  • Whirlpool (WA self)+Ice Beam (whirlpool): See above, so this combo doesn't work.
  • Whirlpool (WA self)+Blizzard (whirlpool): See above, so this combo does not work.
  • Surf+Ice Beam (wave): Impossible, since the ice would simply freeze the wave still or not work at all (the wave is huge and moving fast, so freezing seems impossible).
  • Surf+Blizzard (wave): See above.
  • Surf+Toxic: Pretty much changes the typing of Surf to Poison. May have a 30% chance to normally poison the target. Hits all targets.
  • Surf+Spore/Stun Spore: This doesn't make sense. Better off just using the two moves individually.
  • Splash+Physical Move: Increases the velocity of moves, so that means increased damage from moves like Take Down, Bounce, etc.
  • Whirlpool+Hypnosis: Doesn't make much sense. Better off just using the two moves individually.
  • Flamethrower+Sludge Bomb: A slightly more powerful version of Sludge Bomb. Fire-based attack. May have a 10% chance to Poison AND a 10% chance to Burn.
  • Earthquake+Surf: As a combo attack, it doesn't make much sense. I don't think this would work as an attack against the opposing Pokemon. However, this combo could potentially alter the stage greatly. As to what extent, that is up to the referee.
Between Omanyte and Shellder, it really depends on what kind of attacker you are looking for. Omanyte is Specially oriented, while Shellder is more mixed. Swift Swim is indeed handy on a team with Drizzle, but Skill Link is an overall great ability in ASB. Don't forget: both Pokemon benefit from Rain thanks to the Water attack boost. Cloyster also has Overcoat, which helps against opposing weather teams while still having a useful ability in Skill Link to use outside of rain. Cloyster also gets the Spikes, don't forget! So, obviously, I would pick Shellder.

You will be fighting Random in the Two Turn Brawl. Please PM me your Pokemon selection!

Ok, question time. Can I increase Inferno's accuracy by using it in combo with Bite/Crunch? The idea is that Houndoom bites, latches on and spits out the fireball without letting go or immediately after letting go.

And in a doubles battle, can something like a Tyranitar use Fling to add some power and/or reach to the (momentum based) moves of an appropriately sized teammate?
I could see something like that happening, sure. I do not think that it will be 100% accurate (I think 75% accurate is more likely) and I see it costing a lot of energy. Its base power should be the equivalent of Inferno.

No, it cannot. Per the definition of Fling, the object thrown must be an Item. This is backed up by the fact that if an item is used, Fling cannot be used. Using something like Seismic Toss with Tyranitar (it gets it via tutor) might have this effect, however! That is a good alternative.

This has been three posts answered, which nets me one (1) WC. My count is now at 0. Contestants in the Two Turn Brawl, please PM me with your Pokemon so we can get started.

I'd like to take someone on in a two-turn brawl, if that's alright.

Also:

What is a Street Brawl? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I haven't seen any real definitions...

I'll take Son of Shadoo on in a two-turn brawl.

Also, I was wondering about a combination of Drain Punch and any of the elemental punches, and Spark/Wild Charge + Pursuit.

Fire Blast walked into the room, followed by an Embirch. He looks around and sees Sensei Dark Slay helping so many battlers around him. He turns around towards Embirch and Embirch nods. Walking towards Sensei Dark Slay he requested a battle. Slowly, Sensei Dark Slay turned around and told Fire Blast that he could battle as soon as someone else was ready. Embirch let out a roar that echoed through out the dojo and soon everybody was staring at the mighty Embirch.

Anybody want to 2 turn battle?

*stares at Embirch*

I like these two turn thingies.

Accept'd

To clarify DarkSlay

Whirlpool+Hypnosis: Doesn't make much sense. Better off just using the two moves individually.
The idea is to trap them in a Whirlpool and fire off 100% accuracy Hypnoses.

Surf+Spore/Stun Spore: This doesn't make sense. Better off just using the two moves individually.
For Stun Spore, the idea is to pollute the wave to make a 100% accurate paralyzing wave.

Surf+Ice Beam (wave): Impossible, since the ice would simply freeze the wave still or not work at all (the wave is huge and moving fast, so freezing seems impossible).
Eh, what I wanted was a humongous frozen wall, so...I guess it sort of worked.

DarkSlay

Before I post the results of who got jobs, as a result of being the first Two Turn Brawl, the match between Its_A_Random and Darkamber8828 will be put on display as an example for all new trainers! Congrats you two!

Now, after a few hours at looking over applications, I have decided that I will be giving away four jobs.

Two will work with myself and Goldenknight as workers who help answer questions and ref battles. The other two workers will be in charge of the convenience store, while also keeping track of who buys what and who earns what. Convenience store clerks, your job is designed to be fun: be witty with the customers and whatnot, and have a good time! With that being said, here are the results:

Apprentices:
SevenDeadlySins
Athenodoros

Convenience Store Keepers:
iiMKUltra
Kaxtar

Congrats to everyone for having such awesome resumes, and congrats to the four newest members of the Dojo squad! Please see me on iRC (or PM me if you can't) and I will discuss your pay wages and duties specifically.

Venser appears outside the door of the dojo and walks in, bowing his head respectfully as he does so. Trailing besides him is his Bolderdash, Rube, floating over the ground.

I'd like to try a 2-round brawl. Any takers?

Also, what nature should I change my Deino to?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Venser, I'm up for a two turn brawl with you. To the person who takes this battle, I'm taking the same Pokemon that I used in the first two-turn brawl.

DarkSlay

I will be reffing Darkamber8828 and Fire Blast. SDS will be reffing Son_Of_Shadoo and Objection.

Please PM us your Pokemon.

EDIT: Sit tight, Venser and Random. Trying to get a ref for you.

EDIT EDIT: Time to answer some questions!

What is a Street Brawl? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I haven't seen any real definitions...
A Street Brawl is relatively new. This is when both Trainers send out all of their Pokemon, regardless of if one has more or less than their opponent. In return, each Pokemon only has two actions per round.

Also, I was wondering about a combination of Drain Punch and any of the elemental punches, and Spark/Wild Charge + Pursuit.
Many combinations of moves that end in "Punch" can be combined in some form. Most likely in a case like that, it will deal increased damage (12 is a good number) plus combine a similar draining ability with the 10% secondary effect. By default, the move should be changed to the type of the elemental punch. It's possible, however, that the punch may not drain 50% health if used this way. It may drain less, like 33% health. As for Spark + Pursuit, it will probably be a simple retyping of Pursuit, which may be handy in certain situations.

...and to clarify, we don't get standard counters, amirite.
Yes, you do not receive standard counters for Two Turn Brawls. Just Dojo Counters.

Also, what nature should I change my Deino to?
I have a Deino myself, and I ended up choosing Quiet. It is common knowledge that a **** / *****(+) Pokemon actually does better than a ***** / *****, especially with Hydreigon. So Go with +SpA whatever you do. If you don't want to lower your Speed, there are other options. I'd definitely keep from lowering that attack, and if I had to choose a defense to lower, I'd most likely choose Rash (+SpA, -SpD). Special Ice and Dragon attacks hurt, but there's a ton of physical Dragon, Fighting, and Bug attacks in ASB.

I answered three (legit) posts, which nets me another Worker Counter. That puts my count back to 0.

Lenneth and Laharl enter the dojo, upon seeing the Sensei, Laharl bows.

"... What are you doing?" Lenneth asks with an annoyed look on her face.
"We just entered a sacred training ground, show some respect!" Laharl whispered back furiously.
"Pssh, I didn't even want to come here, but you said we could always get better, blah, blah, blah." Lenneth complains in a raised, mocking voice.
"If you just be quiet, I promise I'll enter us in a battle. Ok?" Laharl continues whispering.
"Battle, why didn't you mention that earlier?! Let's go challenge someone!"

Lenneth leads Laharl by the hand over to the center of the dojo much like a kid in a toy store.

"Listen up all you neophytes! Who's got the mettle it takes to accept our Two Turn Brawl Challenge?"
"Oh maker, you're creating such a scene." Laharl sulks off into a corner...

Darkamber8828, enjoy your trainer counter! Approved!

Random, spend your dojo counter soon. I don't get paid for nothing!

I walk quickly up to the dojo entrance, barely able to keep Harry under control.

"Hey, Harry, slow down!" I yell, earning a disapproving look from Sensei DarkSlay. Harry continues attempting to bolt forward into the main area of the gym. I'm finally able to calm him down, when I notice Laharl and Lenneth over in one corner.

"Hey, hey, can we battle 'em? Can we? Can we?" Harry asks, with eager anticipation. "I've been waiting for this my entire life! I'm so excited!"

I sigh in desperation. "Okay, fine. But just this once."

I accept the Two-Turn Challenge given by Temperantia (when there's a ref available, of course).

I walk up to the Dojo doors, my Eevee "Follow the Win" chilling beside me. He's ready to become stronger, I knew that the second I caught him, running from a Poochyena in the suburbs. I still have scars on my leg from that day, and it was worth it. Time to get a few more, I push the door open and stamp my foot down. I'm ready for training, and so is this little "Fellow"!

What would happen if my Eevee used

Growl+Yawn
Tail Whip+Quick Attack
Sand Attack+Hidden Power Fire
Detect+Substitute

Also anyone up for a 2 turn BATTLE?!?!?!

PM sent to SDS, can't wait to try this, especially versus Objection... I already have a pun in mind.

However, I'm currently very unsure of myself on my choices of Natures for the majority of my Pokémon. I suddenly realise how different the stats and mechanics of ASB are to the real game. So I guess what I have to ask is, am I using optimal ones? I believe they all have one free Nature change, with the exception of Nidoran F, who I already changed.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3308446&postcount=9

I walk into the Dojo calmly, though my Swablu, Wooly, is anything but. She seems intimidated by all of the other pokemon, so I reassure her that it will be okay. I approach Master Darkslay with a few questions.

A few combo questions I have are:
Growl+Hyper Voice: would it amplify the growl somehow?
Sing+Hyper Voice: Again, would it amplify the Sing somehow, making it more accurate?

Is there any way (other than the moves that specifically do so like Foresight/Odor Sleuth) to hit Ghost types with fighting-type moves?

I also sign up for a two-turn brawl!

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Flora enters the Dojo for the kicks.

*sees Leethoof looking around* (It's better to do than ask!)

Let's go two-turn brawl! I'll be using a Grass-type (Deerling) against your Swablu if that's alright (gotta see if I can get more creative or something).

Let me see if I've still got this,or if I should just shut up about creativity. I will be using my Ninetales if anyone wishes to accept.

EDIT: If I wasn't clear, this means two turn brawl. Dogfish44, let's go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)