Celebi [QC 4/3] [GP 0/2]

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
STATUS: Skeleton is complete. QC checks done. Starting to write this, look for something GP-able soon.

[Overview]
- Best Grass-type, and arguably the best Psychic-type in UU
- 100/100/100 defenses, Recover and Natural Cure
- 7 weaknesses is the most of any pokemon besides Abomasnow and Exeggutor, but its made up for with key resistances to Water/Ground/Fighting/Electric/Grass/Psychic, all common attacking types in UU
- Awesome movepool makes it tough to counter
- Useful support options: Stealth Rock, TWave, Perish Song, U-turn
- Almost every meaningful boosting move: NP, SD, CM, combined with Baton Pass
- A special attacker that laughs at Chansey? I'll take it!

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Earth Power / Baton Pass
move 4: Recover
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- Celebi can get a lot of chances to set up Nasty Plots because not a lot of UU pokemon threaten it enough to force a switch
- Examples: Donphan, Milotic, Hitmontop, Slowbro, Deoxys-D, most Chansey
- You can 2HKO Chansey with Psychic at +4 with Modest and Life Orb, clearing up a lot of room for other special sweepers
- Psychic + Earth Power combine to OHKO almost every threat to +2 Modest LO Celebi as long as it outspeeds. Escavalier is OHKOd by a +2 LO Modest Earth Power after Stealth Rock damage
- Some key things outspeed Modest Celebi, like +Speed Victini, Staraptor, Flygon and Roserade. Plan accordingly

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- HP Fire if you don't think you can get a Nasty Plot before Escavalier comes in
- Timid could help if you're terrified of Staraptor and Victini, but you miss out on a LOT of OHKOs and 2HKOs
- Maybe Giga Drain, but you don't really need a Grass attack since Nasty Plot boosted moves hit so hard
- Baton Pass is an option but that's covered by another set. Use a Timid nature if you want to go that route because the Speed is way more useful

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Zen Headbutt
move 3: Sucker Punch
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- Celebi has never been thought of as a Physical threat before, but that perception can change now that it's UU where physical Psychic moves are actually good
- This set beats almost everything in UU by itself
- Set up Swords Dances on things like Donphan, Chansey and Milotic that can't hurt you
- +2 LO Sucker Punch OHKOs Victini and Staraptor, as well as doing a surprising amount of damage. Celebi's Sucker Punch is actually one of the strongest priority moves in UU.
- 24 Speed EVs to outpace max Speed Abomasnow while giving you 399 HP instead of the even 400

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- Baton Pass is a nice option here but it's covered by another set. This set is designed for longevity and sweeping, so use more speed if you want to BP your Swords Dance.
- Bisharp. It's not common but it walls this set to hell and back
- For some reason Flygon isn't a guaranteed OHKO so you'll have to trick your opponent into bringing it in at 90% instead of 100%. Either that or just Recover off the U-turn since it can't OHKO you without the rare Choice Band
- Fast Substitute users can play mindgames with you, like Staraptor and Mismagius
- Seed Bomb is an option but its only real advantage is hitting Wobbuffet and Empoleon. Water-types can't hurt you even if they have Ice Beam, and +2 LO STAB Zen Headbutt is more than enough to 2hko every water-type.
- Use maximum Speed if you're using Seed Bomb over Sucker Punch

[SET]
name: Tinkerbell
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Psychic / Hidden Power Fire / Earth Power
move 3: Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock
move 4: Recover / Rest
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest
evs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- Support your team at first and hit things hard later
- Leaf Storm is resisted by a lot of things in OU but in UU that problem doesn't exist.
- Second attack is based on whatever your team needs. Psychic is generally the best but this spot is very flexible
- Rest is great with Natural Cure, since Leaf Storm usually makes you switch out anyways

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- Most people don't expect Celebi to hit this hard, especially when they see your support move thrown out there at first
- You can use U-turn to escape Wobbuffet, and put your support move to immediate use by scouting your opponent's team. U-turn has great synergy with Thunder Wave and Stealth Rock

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Recover
move 3: Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Psychic / Giga Drain
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- BW version of Celebi's bread and butter set it's used for 4 generations now
- Incredibly durable, capable of walling for entire matches and whittling opponent's HP away
- Combine this with entry hazards to disrupt your opponent's team on the switch
- Thunder Wave is an underrated move and destroys Celebi's main checks, but if you have Toxic Spikes on your team you might want to opt for Stealth Rock for added chip damage (and to prevent status overlapping)
- EV spread is to outpace all non-Scarf Abomasnow, although you can pick and choose what you want to outpace. That's the great thing about 100 base Speed
- EVs let you serve as a great special wall, letting you wall every water-type in the tier (barring Specs Ice Beams) as well as doing very well against Electric-types with Super Effective HP Ices, Zapdos' Heat Wave, and Jolteon and Raikou using Shadow Balls
- Grass Knot and Energy Ball are viable options as the last attack instead of Giga Drain, depending on what you're trying to hit

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- Another solid EV option is switching SpDef for Def, and using Bold over Calm.
- The reason why the Specially Defensive version is the "main option" is because the physical attacks Celebi will face are much more powerful than the special attacks. No amount of defense EVs will let you take on Victini V-Creates, Staraptor Brave Birds and Heracross Megahorns, but you CAN beat things like Zapdos, Ice Beam Water-types, Roserade and Jolteon 1-on-1 with the SpDef EVs.
- Heal Bell is another great support option on this set and it's a pretty rare move in general so Celebi doesn't face much competition in that regard
- You can opt for Reflect on this too if you feel like it will help your team, but there are probably better users of the move
- Perish Song may be an option on this set as it's Celebi's only pHazing move, and it lets Celebi beat things like Calm Mind Suicune that can set up on you otherwise

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Swords Dance / Nasty Plot / Calm Mind
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Psychic / Magic Coat
nature: Jolly / Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- Third move is dependent on what stat you want to pass. Go with a STAB move or use Magic Coat to prevent things like Taunt Mew from stopping you.
- Pick a boost and pass it to a compatible pokemon. You'll want something that resists Fire, Bug or Ice since those are the most common types people attack Celebi with.
- Celebi is surprisingly durable for a Baton Pass user

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- This is pretty straightforward
- Change the nature based on what attack you use. Jolly if you're boosting Atk and Timid if you're boosting SpAtk.
- Watch out for Dark-types, since they're immune to your only attack and Celebi doesn't have any "catch all" move to ward them off
- Snorlax would love Swords Dances and resists Ice + Fire
- Victini would be excellent (resists Ice + Fire, and Celebi scares away Water and Ground types that Victini can't switch into)
- You can even continue the chain with Shell Smash passing Gorebyss.
- Cobalion loves SDs and NPs, 4x resists Bug and Dark (gets an Atk boost from Dark too), also resists Ice.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire / Giga Drain
nature: Bold
evs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- This set has been standard Celebi fare since it first learned Calm Mind
- After a Calm Mind, basically nothing can counter you except physical Bug or Fire moves. +1 Celebi can laugh off things like Zapdos' Heat Wave and Suicune/Empoleon Ice Beams.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- Baton Pass is an option but that's covered by another set. You may want to use a lot of Speed if you do that though, and drop your second attack.
- Watch out for Heracross and Durant, as well as Escavalier if it's near full health
- Random special attackers might hurt you a bit while you try to set up, like Sheer Force LO Nidoking or an attacking Sludge Bomb Roserade
- If you're feeling really gutsy, drop an attack for Heal Bell so that Toxic Chansey can't force you to switch

[Other Options]
Stealth Rock, Perish Song, Healing Wish, Dual Screens, Safeguard, Trick Room, SubSeed, Choice items, Future Sight, Shadow Ball, Trick, U-turn, Rain Dance or Sunny Day, Magic Coat, lol Heal Block

[Checks and Counters]
- Celebi's counters are moveset dependent, and it has something for all of its potential counters.
- Wobbuffet can get something on your opponent's team in for free, but it can't really do anything to you. Watch out for boosting sets, Thunder Wave and Leech Seed though.
- Chansey with Toxic is probably the best counter to the special sweeping sets. Celebi doesn't care about any Chansey set thanks to Natural Cure, but Toxic can prevent you from sweeping since you need two Nasty Plots to 2hko Chansey
- Victini has great defenses and resists both of your STABs, and can wreak havoc with V-Creates or U-turn
- Staraptor can check you pretty well but it can't really switch into Psychic or Thunder Wave.
- Escavalier is a solid counter to any Celebi that lacks HP Fire or Baton Pass.
- Durant outspeeds you and has STAB X-Scissor
- Scarf Heracross is a threat
- Arcanine can be a pest but it's easily worn down. It's slower than you and can't deal with boosted Earth Power
- Bisharp sets up on you unless you use Earth Power

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Celebi does get Magic Coat which could be of use on the Baton Pass set. Then again, I'm not sure why you'd use BP Celebi over Mew who doesn't have as many weaknesses and gets Taunt and Rock Polish (although Mew is probably going to get banned...), but its a thought.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll mention Magic Coat. Celebi may have a few more weaknesses than Mew but it also has a lot more resistances and Natural Cure.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mkay.

Also U-turn and Trick are probably good to mention in Other Options alongside Choice items. Trick is pretty nasty since it can screw over Chansey and U-turn is U-turn, always useful.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Big update. Skeleton is almost complete.

Added in all suggestions to this post, thanks Fireburn!

I'm taking suggestions on the Support set, as well as the filler moves for the Baton Pass set. Those are the only two I haven't gotten a chance to explore in UU yet.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Did you have any success with Seed Bomb over Sucker Punch on the SD set? Grass + Psychic gets surprisingly good coverage in this meta (really only missing out on Registeel, Durant, and Escavalier). I realize Sucker Punch is good, but it really doesn't accomplish much against the frailer Psychic and Ghost-types its meant to hit since a good majority run Substitute (granted most won't be expecting a Sucker Punch anyway), and if you don't get a Swords Dance in, Sucker Punch is actually hilariously weak.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tried Swords Dance Celebi today, and it was surprisingly usable in a tier with Victini and Staraptor. Oglemi's right: Seed Bomb should get a mention somewhere for being a generally reliable STAB move that screws over Dark- and Water-type Pokemon.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Did you have any success with Seed Bomb over Sucker Punch on the SD set? Grass + Psychic gets surprisingly good coverage in this meta (really only missing out on Registeel, Durant, and Escavalier). I realize Sucker Punch is good, but it really doesn't accomplish much against the frailer Psychic and Ghost-types its meant to hit since a good majority run Substitute (granted most won't be expecting a Sucker Punch anyway), and if you don't get a Swords Dance in, Sucker Punch is actually hilariously weak.
I never got into a situation where I thought "wow, I wish I had Seed Bomb right now". Even in papermon it's essentially useless, with only Wobbuffet and Empoleon being hit noticeably harder (although notice that neither of those mons can hurt you). Seed Bomb may hit water-types harder on paper, but in an actual battle it doesn't matter in my experiences. They can't do enough damage to you, and you set up on them all day long. If I was using Seed Bomb I'd also use maximum Speed since the loss of Sucker Punch would make me paranoid about random things outspeeding me.

Registeel can't do anything to you, Escavalier is beating you anyways unless Megahorn misses (+2 LO ZH 2hkos it), Durant outspeeds you and OHKOs.

Seed Bomb is only there because I knew it would get brought up. I'll leave it in the comments. I don't think Seed Bomb is more valuable than any of the moves currently on the set.

- 7 weaknesses is the most of any pokemon besides Abomasnow, but its made up for with key resistances to Water/Ground/Fighting/Electric/Grass/Psychic, all common attacking types in UU

- Chansey with Toxic is probably the best counter unless it has Heal Bell, although any Celebi owns any other Chansey set.
Exeggutor also has 7 weaknesses as he has the same typing.

Toxic doesn't really threat Celebi at all even without Heal Bell as Natural Cure removes Toxic upon switching out.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Beefed up the skeleton a bit more and added in all suggestions up to and including this post (#10). This will be QCable by the end of the weekend

Exeggutor also has 7 weaknesses as he has the same typing.
Heh. Good catch.

Toxic doesn't really threat Celebi at all even without Heal Bell as Natural Cure removes Toxic upon switching out.
Celebi can shrug off the Toxic, but if Chansey has Toxic then it can put off a sweep and/or actually beat it in a last mon situation. +4 Modest LO Celebi Psychic 2HKOs Chansey...but:

chansey comes in on Nasty Plot
second Nasty Plot, Toxic
now it can either Softboiled stall, or Wish + Protect stall you outright.

That's the best case situation for special sweeper Celebi barring a Toxic miss. Although you're right in saying that Celebi doesn't care about Chansey at all otherwise. I clarified it a bit.

AccidentalGreed

Would Baton Pass warrant a slash besides Recover on the Swords Dance set in case Celebi comes into contact with a Steel-type Pokemon or a counter? Celebi's duty is to, after all, kill off Victini and Staraptor then leave the field, so Celebi shouldn't be expected to stay. It would be a shame to waste that Swords Dance boost when you can't even OHKO things like Defensive Mew.

breh

強いだね
Leech seed is certainly a good idea with Chansey being so idiotically common. In addition, it also helps against most walls. Even better is the fact that Celebi can hit Roserade (the most common Grass-type you'll see) super-effectively with Psychic.

AccidentalGreed

SubSeed? Or do other grass types do it better?
It has the ability to Baton Pass the Substitute to another counter, which can prove to be a good strategy when using bulky stat booster (Lum Berry Dragon Dance Tyranitar last generation). Celebi also can produce 252 HP Substitutes in front of Seismic Toss users (especially Chansey).

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have you tried SubSeedCM Celebi? Like:

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Psychic

This set gets really annoying with stuff like Toxic Spikes and Spikes on the opposing side. Opposing Celebi can wall you, put it will have trouble if you have Toxic Spikes. Basically, the idea is that you set up a Sub on something that can't hurt you. Start Calm Minding up. If the opposing Pokemon is something you can set up CM on and kill, do just that, if not, use Leech Seed and force it out of stall it. Again, Toxic Spikes makes this a lot more effective.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Leech Seed will be on the Support set but I think Whimsicott does SubSeed better. If it gets enough support I'll throw it in but its OO IMO

Would Baton Pass warrant a slash besides Recover on the Swords Dance set in case Celebi comes into contact with a Steel-type Pokemon or a counter? Celebi's duty is to, after all, kill off Victini and Staraptor then leave the field, so Celebi shouldn't be expected to stay. It would be a shame to waste that Swords Dance boost when you can't even OHKO things like Defensive Mew.
The short answer is yes but I'm trying to keep slashitis down. I'll mention BP in the comments of all of the boosting sets but for the purposes of this analysis I wanted to make Baton Pass one dedicated set

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Leech Seed will be on the Support set but I think Whimsicott does SubSeed better. If it gets enough support I'll throw it in but its OO IMO
This doesn't matter in the slightest since Whimsicott is OU, and if you mean Cottonnee, well I would have to disagree. Either way, if Celebi performs SubSeed sufficiently, then it could probably get its own set. We'll figure that out though in a bit.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Oh you're right about Whimsicott. I've hated it for so long that I just assumed it was UU by now. I was close, it's only #52 in usage out of 53 OU mons!

I'll test a SubSeed set and get back to yall.

Updated the skeleton, this phase is almost done. If I could get a preliminary QC check that would be great to push this along

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It looks pretty good so far jrrrr. Just sort out the details for the support set, and take out the DW section (only Pokemon with unreleased DW abilities need a DW section), and I think it should be ready to go. I'll stamp it then

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
I saw some other UU analyses that listed DW abilities for mons without them, so I just copied it over. I just took it out.

Fixed the support set, finished the skeleton, this is ready for QC approval

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)