Victini

QC [3/3]: Snunch, PK Gaming, Chou Toshio
GP [2/2]: Flora, RitterCat

[Overview]

<p>Don't let its cute looks fool you: Victini stands as one of the deadliest and most threatening Pokemon in the UU metagame. This is all thanks to Victini's signature move, V-create, an insanely powerful attack that annihilates almost any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. Although there are plenty of Pokemon that can take V-creates with ease, Victini has a massive offensive movepool that makes up for it, making it very hard to wall. Combined with an excellent stat spread that provides natural bulk and adequate speed and power, Victini seems almost unstoppable. However, there's one weakness that Victini can't fix: its typing. Since Victini is Fire- and Psychic-type, it has plenty of weaknesses to common offensive types, and is prone to Pursuit trapping. Despite this, Victini is still a massive offensive threat that can take apart teams if given a chance.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: V-create
move 2: Fusion Bolt
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Brick Break / Zen Headbutt
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A physically based Victini is built to be a hit-and-run Pokemon, making a Choice set ideal for it, doing a great deal of damage to the opposing team or revenge killing threatening Pokemon. Victini's main attack is V-create, a 180 Base Power STAB move, packing enough strength to KO nearly anything that does not resist it. In terms of type coverage, Victini has access to Fusion Bolt to cover the various bulky Water-types in UU, such as Slowbro and Milotic. U-turn is a very useful move for gaining momentum in a battle, as well as scouting for the opponent's main answer to Victini. The last slot is a general filler move, so there are many options available that you can use. Brick Break can be used to KO any Houndoom who might switch in, hurt Rock-types, and break Reflect and Light Screen. Zen Headbutt acts as a good secondary STAB move, and can handle Hitmontop without the downsides of V-create.</p>

<p>The Choice item Victini should hold depends on how you want to use your Victini. With a Choice Band, V-create reaches new heights in power, making for an excellent wallbreaker. Choice Scarf grants Victini the ability to revenge kill a large number of offensive Pokemon. It also has the additional bonus of effectively cancelling out the Speed drop from V-create, so Victini can use it twice in a row without many risks. Adamant is generally the better nature for Victini to give V-create extra power, but Jolly is also viable so Victini can speed tie with Shaymin and Zapdos.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are more viable options for the last slot if Brick Break or Zen Headbutt aren't useful for you. Flare Blitz is an alternate Fire-type move that can be used if you don't want Victini's stats to be lowered by V-create. However, the recoil can shorten Victini's lifespan, and it also limits its type coverage. If you are using Choice Band Victini, Quick Attack is an option for revenge killing weakened Pokemon. Grass Knot can be used in the last slot to nab a surprise OHKO or 2HKO on common Victini counters, namely Rhyperior, Quagsire, and Donphan. Finally, Toxic can punish many of Victini's counters and wear them down even faster.</p>

<p>Victini appreciates various kinds of support for it to work at its best. Rapid Spin from the likes of Hitmontop or Donphan is very useful for Victini, due to its weakness to Stealth Rock. With Stealth Rock off the field, Victini can survive longer and cause more damage. Entry hazard support is also very handy for Victini to have, since it weakens its counters into KO range. Many of Victini's checks happen to be vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, so support from Pokemon such as Deoxys-D and Roserade will help Victini out immensely. Victini can function well within a Fire-, Water-, and Grass-type core. Grass-types such as Roserade help to counter Water- and Rock-types while Water-types such as Slowbro and Milotic cover other Fire-types. In return, Victini can take care of the Grass-types that stop Water-types.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Based
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Grass Knot
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: V-create / Fire Blast
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
nature: Naive / Timid
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If the opponent is expecting a physical Victini, a special Victini can take them by surprise and eliminate their Victini counter. Victini's main STAB is Psychic, which can do a solid amount of damage to most Pokemon. In particular, Arcanine is 2HKOed by Psychic when carrying a Life Orb, while it can't do much back to Victini. Grass Knot assists with type coverage, taking care of bulky Water- and Rock-types. The third slot is mostly filler. Focus Blast is the best move for this slot for coverage against Empoleon and Houndoom. As an added bonus, Victory Star gives Focus Blast an accuracy boost. The last slot is dedicated to Fire STAB. Even with little EV investment in Attack, V-create still packs quite a punch. With a Life Orb and Naive nature, Victini can 2HKO 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Chansey with Eviolite. Fire Blast can be used as well for an all special set. The benefits of this are that Victini is harder to revenge kill and can sweep for a longer period of time. However, this leaves Victini walled by Chansey.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is the preferred item for Victini, giving extra power to all of its attacks. Expert Belt is another good option for bluffing a Choice Scarf. There are other moves available for the third slot as well. Thunderbolt is mostly redundant with Grass Knot, but it hits Empoleon if you don't want to risk Focus Blast missing, and it hits Azumarill harder than any other special move in Victini's arsenal. U-turn can also be handy for scouting capabilities. Substitute can ease prediction of what Victini check the opponent will use. Finally, with Work Up in the third slot, a Rash nature and an EV spread of 160 Atk / 252 SpA / 96 Spe, Victini can become a stallbreaking machine. After a Work Up, Victini can OHKO Chansey and Slowbro with V-create and Grass Knot, respectively. The main downside to this option is that Victini will perform poorly against offensive teams, barely outspeeding Pokemon with base 80 Speed, 252 Speed EVs, and a neutral nature.</p>

<p>By taking out the counters to its physical set, Victini can often create the right conditions for other Pokemon to sweep. For instance, taking down bulky Water-types can help out Victini's fellow Fire-types, such as Chandelure and Darmanitan. By luring and taking out Rock-types, Victini can also help out Flying-types such as Crobat.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Victini can turn one of the downsides of V-create into an attribute with Trick Room. By setting up Trick Room, Victini will become faster every time it uses V-create, potentially leading to a sweep. This is a somewhat shaky strategy for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Victini's base 100 Speed makes it initially too fast to abuse Trick Room. Secondly, most of Victini's counters are slower than it, so becoming faster than them won't help Victini defeat them more easily.</p>

<p>Victini has some useful support moves up its sleeve, such as Taunt and the most accurate Will-O-Wisp in the game, but a supporting Victini with these moves is outclassed by Mew, who has less weaknesses and access to a reliable recovery move. Final Gambit is an interesting move that can OHKO just about anything that switches into Victini, at the cost of Victini fainting. It does require a lot of support to use it to its full potential, so it's generally a less than favourable move to use.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Like most Fire-types, Victini will have some difficulty getting past Water-types, being able to tank Victini's main STAB and threatening it out with their own STAB moves. Slowbro is one of the best Victini switch-ins in the metagame. Its excellent Defense means that it can take V-create easily and heal off the damage with Slack Off. Even if it switches into a Fusion Bolt or Grass Knot, Regenerator makes mispredictions less punishing. Milotic is also an excellent switch-in to Victini, though it lacks Slowbro's endurance. Rock-types such as Rhyperior also threaten Victini, comfortably taking V-create and threatening it out with Stone Edge or Earthquake. They can also set up Stealth Rock, causing more problems for Victini.</p>

<p>Arcanine and Houndoom have a convenient immunity to V-create thanks to Flash Fire, making them fairly safe Victini switch-ins. Houndoom also happens to have Pursuit, meaning Victini can't easily switch out. On a similar note, Dugtrio and Weavile are also capable of trapping and killing Victini, despite not being able to switch in easily.</p>

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If possible, I think a pure attacking set with Sunny Day should be implemented (or in OO) because of the Drought ban, and Victini is reasonably bulky and powerful enough to set up sunlight and make use of it immediately. Basically:

name: Sun Abuser
Move 1: V-Create
Move 2: Fusion Bolt
Move 3: Brick Break / Zen Headbutt / Hidden Power Grass
Move 4: Sunny Day
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Jolly / Naive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 atk / 252 Spe

A reminder of Entei, Arcanine, and Charizard last generation, all Bictini has to do is attack after sunlight has been set up. Hidden Power Ice / Grass and the Naive nature is to prevent Victini from being walled by certain Pokemon.

Also, it will really suck if Victini is banned after this.

Special Attacker

Victini @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Thunder/bolt
Fire Blast
Focus Blast
Grass Knot/Psychic/U-Turn

Just want to say that TR Victini is amazing and should probably get a set.

Also on the above T-bolt should be slashed before Thunder, because even when factoring in Victory Star the accuracy is a pretty unappealing 77%.

I don't really think Mixed Victini is viable... But I think a Choice Scarf set with Final Gambit is worth a mention, something like this:

[SET]
name: Scarfed Gambit
move 1: Final Gambit
move 2: V-create
move 3: Fusion Bolt
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Speed

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
By my personal experience, the last slot on the choice set is really just filler, and I've had a lot of success with Quick Attack. I'd say it deserves an AC mention on the Band set.

Great job! The only suggestion I have is to remove Shadow Ball as a slash from the Mixed set. Slowbro is already hit hard by Grass Knot, and Mew and Celebi will just get destroyed by V-Create. Focus Blast is actually a pretty good option for Houndoom who will try to pursuit you, whereas Shadow Ball really doesn't help for anything. Just make that one small change and you'll get my stamp.

EDIT: QC Approved 1/3

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Flare Blitz can be a decent move in the Choice set. Victini has good speed, and if you're in the position to sweep, Flare Blitz can do quite a lot of damage to clean up. Zen Headbutt is kind of useless, IMO.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why isnt houndoom mentioned as the premier victini counter? im pretty sure the only reason people used that ovoer arcanine was because of victini

Great job! The only suggestion I have is to remove Shadow Ball as a slash from the Mixed set. Slowbro is already hit hard by Grass Knot, and Mew and Celebi will just get destroyed by V-Create. Focus Blast is actually a pretty good option for Houndoom who will try to pursuit you, whereas Shadow Ball really doesn't help for anything. Just make that one small change and you'll get my stamp.
Done

Flare Blitz can be a decent move in the Choice set. Victini has good speed, and if you're in the position to sweep, Flare Blitz can do quite a lot of damage to clean up. Zen Headbutt is kind of useless, IMO.
I suggest you look harder, I've listed Flare Blitz in AC.

why isnt houndoom mentioned as the premier victini counter? im pretty sure the only reason people used that ovoer arcanine was because of victini
Houndoom is in the counters section, lrn2read.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've had success with Substitute + 3 attacks. Victini forces tons of switches, and Sub ruins all those teams that rely on Sucker Punch to stop it. Plus the stat drops from V-create are less noticeable behind a Sub. Maybe give it a mention in AC of the mixed set?

With the Scarf set I almost always use Toxic in the last slot just to make sure his counters get worn down quickly. I'd slash it at least.

After that's done consider this approved 3/3.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can mixed victini get an Expert Belt mention? Victini bluffs scarf really well.

Also, Victini can run a very solid full special set, especially with a more accurate fire blast. Just because it has V-create doesn't mean every viable set has to use it. Maybe just slash in Fire Blast with V-Create on the mixed set, since it's running max sp. attack anyway. V-create makes you easier to revenge which means it's not always the best option. Victini is at a solid speed tier in UU, there should be at least one set that takes full advantage of that by trying to make it a prolonged sweep rather than one and done.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hi i know that this is already approved and i'm not on the QC team (but i used to be!!), but on mix victini, searing shot is generally better than focus blast. obviously houndoom now walls you but a) houndoom isn't common and b) you can use thuderbolt / thunder. i think it should be

[SET]
name: Specially Based Victini
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Thunderbolt / Grass Knot
move 3: Searing Shot
move 4: V-create
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

searing shot is an excellent stab for when you don't want to v create, but it still has a good deal of power. like i said with focus blast, it's not very useful.

if i'm not allowed to make qc stuff since im not on the team anymore, alright, but this really seems to be the optimal victini set.

breh

強いだね
Fire Blast is arguably better than Searing Shot; Searing Shot has a nicer burn chance but Fire Blast is so much more powerful and 93.5 accuracy is far from terrible.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The current mixed set is inefficient. Here's mine:

Victini @ Life Orb
Rash
160 Atk/252 SpA/96 Spe
- V-Create
- Psychic/Fire Blast
- Grass Knot/Thunderbolt
- Work Up

This takes a stall-breaking approach to the mixed set, which is probably its best way to go. Max special attack helps ohko Slowbro and a 40% chance of ohko against Milotic with Grass Knot after 1 Work Up. It also powers up Psychic/Fire Blast, which will be your main sweeping move.
The given Atk guarantees that V-Create gets an ohko on 0/252+ Chansey; it also has a 60% chance of ohko against 252/252+ Chansey. V-Create also ohkos pretty much every psychic resist in the tier besides Slowbro (taken care of by your coverage option) and Houndoom (who walls you without Tbolt).
The speed lets you outrun neutral max speed base 80s like Mamoswine, and also lets you outrun 8 speed base 50s after a speed drop from V-Create. Higher speed is an option, but dropping either Atk or SpA means you lose to either Chansey or bulky waters, and beating both is the point of a mixed set...
Grass Knot versus Thunderbolt is basically whether you're more worried about quaggy/gastrodon or empoleon/azumarill. Psychic versus Fire Blast is a choice between whether you want a fire attack that doesn't drop your stats or additional coverage. If using Fire Blast you're going to want to go with Grass Knot, and vice versa.
This set is massively threatening to stall teams, but it is mediocre at best against offense, so make sure you mention that.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sorry, I forgot I wasn't a member of UU QC anymore, so I can't pull my usual post-approval shenanigans. Will post in that thread, thanks!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
OK FlareBlitz's set/ev spread should get a nice AC mention in the Mixed set. Be sure to use the reasons FB gave for using it over the main spread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)