Zweilous (GP 2/2)

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Zweilous

QC 3/3 (PK Gaming, Chou Toshio, Oglemi)

GP 2/2 (Zdrup15, NixHex)

Before any of you say, yes I did recycle one of my posts a bit for the overview.

[Overview]

<p>When asked which Pokemon has the most powerful Outrage in the game, very few people would answer correctly. No, it's not Haxorus, and neither is it Zekrom or Rayquaza. As you may by now have guessed, the answer is indeed Zweilous; thanks to a decent base 85 Attack and Hustle, it has the equivalent of over 150 base Attack with full investment. With few viable Steel-types in the metagame, it is clear what sort of damage this Outrage can do. Let's not forget that Zweilous also has the game's most powerful Crunch, letting it destroy many of UU's Ghost- and Psychic-type behemoths. Unfortunately, the good news pretty much ends there. Zweilous is quite slow, with base 58 Speed, and is not especially bulky naturally. This means that it will die very fast by locking itself into Outrage. Even worse is Zweilous's movepool. Oh come on, surely it gets Dragon Claw? How about Dragon Dance? Hone Claws, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Earthquake, or Fire Punch? The extent of Zweilous's useful movepool outside of Outrage and Crunch is Fire Fang, Dragon Tail, and Thunder Wave. This is not to mention Hustle's nasty side-effect either: all of its physical moves are reduced to 80% of their normal accuracy, which is truly infuriating; at best, its attacks are as reliable as the infamous Stone Edge. Bearing all of this in mind, it is very difficult to use Zweilous in a truly offensive role. Much more effective is an Eviolite tank set, as Zweilous's defensive stats become more than passable; Zweilous can then afford the occasional miss, and can afford not to outrun the opponent. This combination of power and bulk, along with a unique and useful typing, makes Zweilous a truly viable Pokemon in UU.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Thunder Wave / Dragon Tail
item: Eviolite
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though it may seem tempting to take advantage of Zweilous's monstrous attacking power through a more offensive set, it is best to use Zweilous as a tank; Zweilous's 72 / 70 / 70 defensive stats are excellent for an NFE Pokemon, giving it defensive abilities comparable to Mew and Celebi with an Eviolite equipped. Let's not forget that Zweilous also hits like a truck thanks to Hustle, its Outrage 2HKOing all but Steel-types and dedicated physical walls. Crunch is also very powerful, but is much less risky, slamming many of UU's Ghost- and Psychic-types, including Slowbro, Deoxys-D, and Dusclops, which are normally problematic when attacking physically. Fire Fang completes Zweilous's coverage, hitting Steel-types that resist Crunch and Outrage, especially Escavalier and Ferroseed, albeit with a disappointing 76% accuracy. Thunder Wave is generally the best option in the last slot, as it lets Zweilous cripple an opponent and allows Zweilous to bypass its low Speed. Notably, this also has 100% accuracy, meaning that Zweilous can guarantee at least to cripple an opponent before potentially missing with its attack. However, Dragon Tail is also a very good option; since Zweilous does not learn Dragon Claw, this is its best alternative to Outrage. This allows Zweilous to check threats, albeit unreliably due to its 72% accuracy, and to force its counters in and out of entry hazards with a heavy hit.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread on this set is very simple, offering maximum power and overall bulk. You may choose to add a little Speed at the expense of HP, for example 20 EVs to outrun 0 Speed base 60s. Alternative moves are also very few, due to Zweilous's barren movepool; Toxic may be viable to cripple walls such as Hitmontop, but Zweilous is generally more troubled by Steel-types, which are immune. The only truly notable change that can be made is Zweilous's item; the best options are Choice Band and Life Orb. More offensive use of Zweilous is entirely possible, though to be effective, Trick Room or paralysis support is mandatory. With Trick Room, you will want to use a 0 Speed IV and a Brave nature. It is also worth noting that Zweilous is one of very few Choice item users to be viable on Trick Room teams, due to the sheer power and coverage of Outrage. Wide Lens is worth mentioning in that you should not use it; Wide Lens Zweilous is outclassed by non-Hustle Pokemon such as Druddigon.<p>

<p>As far as team support is concerned, Spikes are crucial for Zweilous, especially if running Dragon Tail. This is because the majority of Zweilous's checks, including every Steel-type, is grounded, and will be worn down by repeated switches. Though Roserade and Deoxys-D each share a weakness with Zweilous, they can easily provide the Spikes Zweilous needs; Froslass and Qwilfish are perhaps even better, as they have truly excellent defensive synergy with Zweilous. Wish support, such as from Chansey, is also helpful, since Zweilous lacks any form of recovery. For offensive partners, you should consider anything that benefits from the denting of physical walls; a "double dragon" strategy can be effective, since Zweilous will considerably dent or cripple most Steel-types. Magneton and Dugtrio are also notable, since they can trap the Steel-types that plague Zweilous and remove them from the game.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Since Zweilous's movepool is terrible, other options are few. Thunder Fang, Head Smash, Ice Fang, Return, and Body Slam offer Zweilous little in terms of coverage. Work Up can be used to boost Zweilous's Attack, but the increase is small and therefore not worth the turn of setup. Zweilous can also use special attacks to some effect, getting great coverage from Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor + Earth Power, but its Special Attack stat is too low to make much of an impression. The only other set that may actually be worth using is Choice Scarf Zweilous; this faces competition from Choice Band Flygon, but can outrun base 110s with a Jolly nature, giving it something of a niche.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Steel-types are the most obvious switch-ins to Zweilous due to their resistance to Outrage, but many, such as Escavalier, must watch out for Fire Fang. Most notably, Cobalion has great Defense, positively benefits from Crunch, and has STAB Close Combat with which to hit Zweilous. It is a little vulnerable to Thunder Wave, however. Otherwise, you should be looking towards physical walls, such as Hitmontop, Arcanine, Rhyperior, and Donphan. Be warned, though, that Hitmontop can be 2HKOed after a Defense drop from Close Combat, which will not OHKO Zweilous. Additionally, all of the checks mentioned are vulnerable to Spikes, and as such will hate Dragon Tail if it hits. Hitmontop and Donphan, therefore, get special mention for their ability to use Rapid Spin.</p>

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Are you sure it has the most powerful Outrage in the whole game? Shouldn't Zekrom's be more powerful? If so, maybe change to "in the tier" instead.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I know. I did the calcs.

Zweilous
+1 Outrage vs. 252/252+ Chansey 45.5% - 53.6%

Zekrom
Outrage vs. 252/252+ Chansey 45.0% - 53.0%

But only slightly.

Infuriating accuracy. At best it is like Stone Edge.
You should mention that the reason for this is its ability Hustle.

In the set comments, you should mention the accuracies of Dragon Tail and Fire Fang with Hustle. Dragon Tail's accuracy being 72% and Fire Fang's accuracy being 76%. And that the rest of its moves are of 80% accuracy.

Just so readers are aware of its flaws.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I tried using spreads that let you outspeed defensive Milotic, but Zwei is too slow and the drop in bulk is huge making the the endeavor pointless.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

this thing is stronger than Haxorus what the fu-

jc104

Humblest person ever
Choice Band is already mentioned (read the skeleton before you post). I've tried it outside of TR and it tended to do fairly little due to its frailty. As a general rule, TR sets do not get analyses, so I just put it in AC.

And thanks PK. I'm afraid I tried that too...

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You mention using Toxic, but it has 72% accuracy. iirc, Hustle only affects physical moves, so it would still be 90%. The veekun description doesn't explicitly mention Hustle lowering the accuracy of non-damaging moves, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

From Bulbapedia:

Hustle increases the user's Attack stat by 50%, but lowers the Accuracy of the user's Physical moves by 20%. Special and Status moves are unaffected by Hustle.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, Zweilous' CB Outrage seems to do 68.2% - 80.3% to 252/252+ Bold Eviolite Chansey.

Rivalry Haxorus is crap and not worth giving up Mold Breaker that can hit Gengar and Bronzong. Of course, that's only relevant to OU. Without Rivalry, Haxorus can't outdamage Zweilous.

jc104

Humblest person ever
In the actual games, where the male/female ratio is roughly even, rivalry Haxorus will be on average weaker than Zweilous. I will mention somewhere in the analysis that Haxorus is sometimes stronger.

It seems like Toxic just hates me lol. Thunder wave looks like a good option now that I know it has 100% accuracy.

edit: well I agree Chou, but some people are very picky lol.

Goddammit I wanted Zweilous. Oh well.

I always found that Zweilous worked best with a CB under Trick Room. With Eviolite he is still disappointingly frail and has unwanted weaknesses, so if I do play him outside of TR I prefer to play him as a CB wallbreaker, smashing through even the toughest of physical walls to open up the path for another sweeper. Perfect for a Double Dragon or even a '2Drag1Mag' team.

This is my best log of a CB Zweilous smashing through a standard UU team, earlier in the metagame when Espeon was still around.

Battle between Lii93 and SafetyBean started!

Tier: Wifi UU
Variation: +33, -27
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

SafetyBean sent out Rhyperior!
Lii93 sent out Slowbro!

Start of turn 1
SafetyBean called Rhyperior back!
SafetyBean sent out Sawsbuck! (Sawsbuck-Autumn)

Slowbro used Trick Room!
Slowbro twisted the dimensions!

Start of turn 2
Lii93 called Slowbro back!
Lii93 sent out Zweilous!

The foe's Sawsbuck used Horn Leech!
It's not very effective...
Zweilous lost 84 HP! (24% of its health)
Zweilous had its energy drained!

Start of turn 3
SafetyBean called Sawsbuck back!
SafetyBean sent out Rhyperior!

Zweilous used Outrage!
The foe's Rhyperior lost 79% of its health!

The foe's Rhyperior restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 4
Zweilous used Outrage!
The foe's Rhyperior lost 26% of its health!
The foe's Rhyperior fainted!

SafetyBean sent out Accelgor!

Start of turn 5
Zweilous used Outrage!
The foe's Accelgor lost 99% of its health!
The foe's Accelgor hung on using its Focus Sash!

The foe's Accelgor used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Lii93's team!

Zweilous calmed down!
Zweilous became confused!
The twisted dimensions returned to normal!

Start of turn 6
Lii93 called Zweilous back!
Lii93 sent out Cofagrigus!
Cofagrigus is hurt by spikes!

The foe's Accelgor used U-turn!
Cofagrigus lost 28 HP! (8% of its health)
The foe's Accelgor's ability became Mummy!
SafetyBean called Accelgor back!
SafetyBean sent out Mismagius!

Cofagrigus restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 7
The foe's Mismagius used Nasty Plot!
The foe's Mismagius's Sp. Att. sharply rose!

Cofagrigus used Trick Room!
Cofagrigus twisted the dimensions!

Cofagrigus restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 8
Cofagrigus used Shadow Ball!
It's super effective!
The foe's Mismagius lost 85% of its health!
The foe's Mismagius's Sp. Def. fell!

The foe's Mismagius used Shadow Ball!
It's super effective!
Cofagrigus lost 292 HP! (91% of its health)
Cofagrigus fainted!

Lii93 sent out Zweilous!
Zweilous is hurt by spikes!

Start of turn 9
Zweilous used Outrage!
The foe's Mismagius lost 14% of its health!
The foe's Mismagius fainted!

SafetyBean sent out Blastoise!

Start of turn 10
Zweilous used Outrage!
The foe's Blastoise lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Blastoise fainted!

SafetyBean sent out Sawsbuck! (Sawsbuck-Autumn)

Start of turn 11
Zweilous used Outrage!
The foe's Sawsbuck lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Sawsbuck fainted!

Zweilous calmed down!
Zweilous became confused!
The twisted dimensions returned to normal!

Start of turn 12
Lii93 called Zweilous back!
Lii93 sent out Escavalier!
Escavalier is hurt by spikes!

The foe's Accelgor used Bug Buzz!
Escavalier lost 66 HP! (19% of its health)

Escavalier restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 13
SafetyBean called Accelgor back!
SafetyBean sent out Espeon!

Escavalier used Iron Head!
The foe's Espeon lost 96% of its health!

Escavalier restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 14
The foe's Espeon used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Escavalier lost 277 HP! (80% of its health)
Escavalier fainted!

Lii93 sent out Duosion!

Start of turn 15
The foe's Espeon used Light Screen!
Light Screen raised SafetyBean's team special defense!

Duosion used Trick Room!
Duosion twisted the dimensions!

Start of turn 16
Duosion used Shadow Ball!
It's super effective!
The foe's Espeon lost 3% of its health!
The foe's Espeon fainted!

Start of turn 17
Duosion used Psyshock!
The foe's Accelgor lost 0% of its health!
The foe's Accelgor fainted!

Lii93 won the battle!

jc104

Humblest person ever
I intend to give a detailed mention to CB/LO Zweilous under Trick Room in the analysis. However, as mentioned earlier, Trick Room sweepers generally do not recieve analyses, as Trick Room is a highly uncommon (and generally ineffective) strategy.

With Eviolite Zweilous is not frail at all. That is like calling Mew and Celebi frail (this is what Zweilous is most comparable to). Zweilous has an excellent resistance set, including Water, Fire, Electric, Grass, Ghost, Dark, and Psychic. Yes, the Bug and Fighting weaknesses are annoying, but I think the resistances make up for it.

Anyway if QC agrees I might be persuaded to give CB a slash.

SuperJocke: the other calc (68-80%) is right, and yours is wrong. Two 1.5x boosts is not equivalent to +2.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So I tested this last night.

I found myself using Thunder Wave far, far more often than either Dragon Tail or Fire Fang. Thunder Wave is actually really awesome on this thing, because you can mess with Cobalion (who is your biggest enemy) and other fast-but-bulky Pokemon (like Arcanine). It also gives you a bit of wiggle room in case Hustle makes you whiff, and fits into Zwe's role as a bulky tank. Might be worth a slash.

jc104

Humblest person ever
I haven't had a chance to test, but now I know it has 100% accuracy I am inclined to agree. I'll stick it in there ahead of Dragon Tail. I'll get to writing this when I get home.

edit: done writing.

Blue = Add
Red = Delete
Bold = Comments

[Overview]

<p>When asked which Pokemon has the most powerful Outrage in the game, very few people would answer correctly. No, it's not Haxorus, and neither is it Zekrom or Rayquaza. As you may by now have guessed, the answer is indeed Zweilous; thanks to a decent base 85 Attack and Hustle, it has the equivalent of over 150 base Attack with full investment. With few viable Steel-types in the metagame, it is clear what sort of damage this Outrage can do. Let's not forget that Zweilous also has the game's most powerful Crunch, letting it destroy many of UU's Ghost- and Psychic-type behemoths. Unfortunately, the good news pretty much ends end there. Zweilous is quite slow, with base 58 Speed, and is not especially bulky naturally. This means that it will die very fast by locking itself into Outrage. Even worse is Zweilous's movepool. Oh come on, surely it gets Dragon Claw? How about Dragon Dance? Hone Claws, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Earthquake, or Fire Punch? The extent of Zweilous's useful movepool outside of Outrage and Crunch is Fire Fang, Dragon Tail, and Thunder Wave. This is not to mention Hustle's nasty side-effect either: all of its physical moves are reduced to 80% of their normal accuracy, which is truly infuriating; at best, its attacks are as reliable as the infamous Stone Edge. Bearing all of this in mind, it is very difficult to use Zweilous in a truly offensive role. Much more effective is an Eviolite tank set, as Zweilous's defensive stats become more than passable; Zweilous can then afford the occasional miss, and can afford not to outrun the opponent. This combination of power and bulk, along with a unique and useful typing, makes Zweilous a truly viable Pokemon in UU.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Thunder Wave / Dragon Tail
item: Eviolite
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though it may seem tempting to take advantage of Zweilous's monstrous attacking power through a more offensive set, it is best to use Zweilous as a tank; Zweilous's 72 / 70 / 70 defensive stats are excellent for an a NFE Pokemon, giving it defensive abilities comparable to Mew and Celebi with an Eviolite equipped. Let's not forget that Zweilous also hits like a truck thanks to Hustle, its Outrage 2HKOing all but Steel-types and dedicated physical walls. Crunch is also very powerful, but is much less risky, slamming many of UU's Ghost- and Psychic-types, including Slowbro, Deoxys-D, and Dusclops, which are normally problematic when attacking on the physical side. Fire Fang completes Zweilous's coverage, hitting Steel-types that resist Crunch and Outrage, especially Escavalier and Ferroseed, albeit with a disappointing 76% accuracy. Thunder Wave is generally the best option in the last slot, as it lets Zweilous cripple an opponent and allows Zweilous to bypass its low Speed. Notably, this also has 100% accuracy, meaning that Zweilous can guarantee at least to cripple an opponent before potentially missing with its attack. However, Dragon Tail is also a very good option; as Zweilous does not learn Dragon Claw, this is its best alternative to Outrage. This allows Zweilous to check threats, albeit unreliably due to its 72% accuracy, and to force its counters in and out of entry hazards with a heavy hit.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread on this set is very simple, offering maximum power and overall bulk. You may choose to add a little Speed at the expense of HP, for example 20 EVs to outrun 0 Spe Speed base 60s. Alternative moves are also very few, due to Zweilous's barren movepool; Toxic may be viable to cripple walls such as Hitmontop, but Zweilous is generally more troubled by Steel-types, which are immune. The only truly notable change that can be made is Zweilous's item; the best options are Choice Band and Life Orb. More A more offensive use of Zweilous is entirely possible, though to be effective, (comma) Trick Room or paralysis support is mandatory. With Trick Room, you will want to use a 0 Speed IV and a Brave nature. It is also worth noting that Zweilous is one of very few Choice choice item users to be viable on Trick Room teams, due to the sheer power and coverage of Outrage. Wide Lens is worth mentioning in that you should not use it; Wide Lens Zweilous is outclassed by non-Hustle Pokemon such as Druddigon.<p>

<p>As far as team support is concerned, Spikes are crucial for Zweilous, especially if running Dragon Tail. This is because the majority of Zweilous's checks, including every Steel-type, is grounded, and will be worn down by repeated switches. Though Roserade and Deoxys-D each share a weakness with Zweilous, they can easily provide the Spikes Zweilous needs; Froslass and Qwilfish are perhaps even better, as they have truly excellent defensive synergy with Zweilous. Wish support, such as from Chansey, is also helpful since Zweilous lacks any form of recovery. For offensive partners, you should consider anything that benefits from the denting of physical walls; a "double dragon" strategy can be effective, since Zweilous will considerably dent or cripple most Steel-types. Magneton and Dugtrio are also notable, since they can trap the Steel-types that plague Zweilous and remove them from the game.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As Zweilous's movepool is terrible, other options are few. Thunder Fang, Head Smash, Ice Fang, Return, and Body Slam offer Zweilous little in terms of coverage. Work Up can be used to boost Zweilous's Attack, but the increase is small and therefore not worth the turn of setup. Zweilous can also use special attacks to some effect, getting great coverage from Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor + Earth Power, but its Special Attack stat is too low to make much impression. The only othert other set that may actually be worth using is Choice Scarf Zweilous; this faces competition from Choice Band Flygon, but can outrun base 110s with a Jolly nature, giving it something of a niche.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Steel-types are the most obvious switch-is switch-ins to Zweilous due to their resistance to Outrage, but many, like such as Escavalier, must watch out for Fire Fang. Most notably, Cobalion has great Defense, positively benefits from Crunch, and has STAB Close Combat with which to hit Zweilous. It is a little vulnerable to Thunder Wave, however. Otherwise, you should be looking towards physical walls, such as Hitmontop, Arcanine, Rhyperior, and Donphan. Be warned though that Hitmontop can be 2HKOed after a Defense drop from Close Combat, which will not OHKO Zweilous. Additionally, all of the checks mentioned are vulnerable to Spikes, and as such will hate Dragon Tail if it hits. Hitmontop and Donphan therefore get special mention for their ability to use Rapid Spin.</p>

GP APPROVED 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)