Weavile

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Weavile

Notable Aspects: Very fast, great coverage with just a few moves, stops set-up Pokemon very easily. Ice is great on offense, murdering Dragon-types, but it's a terrible defensive typing, leaving it weak to common spread moves Heat Wave and Rock Slide. Dark allows Weavile to dent most Trick Room users, though it can Taunt them and stop them outright. Access to Fake Out and Ice Shard make it a great priority user, and a great Pokemon to lead with overall. Its frailness usually necessitates a Focus Sash, though.

GBU Doubles Sets

Lead Weavile
Focus Sash / Life Orb / Normal Gem / Expert Belt
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant
Pressure
-Fake Out
-Ice Shard
-Low Kick / Brick Break
-Taunt / Night Slash / Ice Punch

• Fake Out allows Weavile's partner time to set up / team up on and defeat a threat the first turn
  • Ice Shard provides a reliable, priority STAB move
  • Low Kick deals huge damage to heavy Pokemon such as Snorlax and Tyranitar, but Brick Break hits lighter Pokemon such as Scrafty for more damage
  • Taunt stops Pokemon trying to set up Trick Room or boost its stats, but Night Slash gives Weavile a second STAB move and hits Pokemon that would otherwise wall Weavile such as Jellicent and Chandelure. Ice Punch gives Weavile a stronger second Ice move for the likes of Latios and Tornadus
  • Focus Sash let's Weavile live beyond the first or second turn, but if it's being used by another Pokemon on the team; Life Orb turns Fake Out + Ice Shard into a KO on the genies, Normal Gem gives Weavile a really strong Fake Out, Expert Belt gives SE moves a boost and doesn't hit you with recoil like Life Orb

I may post more sets later, but now let's discuss Weavile!​

A very useful move on Weavile too is Fling when holding a King's Rock; it acts as a second Fake Out and allows it to flinch Ghost-type Pokemon. It's tough to find a spot for it sometimes, I've found, especially when one of the moves is Protect, because then you might have only one reliable attack move (Fake Out/Fling/Ice Punch/Protect, for instance). It's possible to get around not having Protect since it will be switching to renew Fake Out a lot, of course.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A very useful move on Weavile too is Fling when holding a King's Rock; it acts as a second Fake Out and allows it to flinch Ghost-type Pokemon. It's tough to find a spot for it sometimes, I've found, especially when one of the moves is Protect, because then you might have only one reliable attack move (Fake Out/Fling/Ice Punch/Protect, for instance). It's possible to get around not having Protect since it will be switching to renew Fake Out a lot, of course.
In my experience, Weavile doesn't really need Protect. It'd be great to have, but I feel like it limits what Weavile can do. Between Fake Out / Ice Shard / Low Kick / Taunt / Night Slash / Ice Punch (my general rule with Weavile is pick four of those and you're good), Weavile would rather be using any of those than Protect. I guess if you want Weavile to stick around for a while, but even with just a Focus Sash it can stay in the game for several turns, provided you don't leave it in on a super effective move, especially if you have a resistance in the back.

On the subject of Fling, I can definitely see situations where it'd be useful, but I much prefer to just hit the Pokemon hard and if I can't kill it let my teammate (using Weavile with a teammate like Terrakion to Rock Slide stuff) Fake Out / Fling / Ice Shard / Protect maybe? Ice Shard > Ice Punch because Fake Out + Fling would generally (hopefully) leave anything faster than Weavile at the point where it dies to Ice Shard.

EDIT:
I would like to point out weaville gets beat up, and unlike whismicott weaville has a unique typing which allows him to beat out common counters to terrakion. Heres an example a few examples:

-genie leads which outspeed terrakion gets ohko'd by ice punch.
-Ammonguss(lol) gets ice punched into oblivion.
-lati twins: srsly weaville jus happened to be ice AND dark
I was planning on mentioning a set just like that, as I've heard from others about its usefulness.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I would like to point out weaville gets beat up, and unlike whismicott weaville has a unique typing which allows him to beat out common counters to terrakion. Heres an example a few examples:

-genie leads which outspeed terrakion gets ohko'd by ice punch.
-Ammonguss(lol) gets ice punched into oblivion.
-lati twins: srsly weaville jus happened to be ice AND dark

You lose 30 power on Brick Break over Low Kick on Scrafty. Odds are, you're going to get fucked over by it regardless so I'd cut the loss and keep Low Kick to hit others for massive damage.

Yes, BeatUp Weavile Terrakion rips an unprepared team apart. however, running BeatUp means loses out one of many Weavile's moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)