Crobat

Crobat entered Gen V with an already generous reputation for setting up weather. Unfortunately for Crobat, the forces of non-uber-exclusive Drizzle and Drought pushed it aside. However, Crobat found a new spot in stopping weather, specifically the prominent Rain.

Crobat still has the advantages it had in Gen IV: immunity to flinch, superb Spe, and consequently the super-speedy Taunt. Retaining those has allowed it to remain useful in a very, very different Doubles environment.

Crobat -> Double Battles

->Sunny Day Setup<-

Crobat @ Flying Gem / Heat Rock
JOLLY
+Inner Focus+
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Sunny Day
-Acrobatics / Brave Bird
-Taunt / Super Fang / Swagger
-Protect

I'm convinced that Crobat was given Acrobatics just because of its name, but it wears it well. Acrobatics hurts common Grass-types associated with Drought teams, the dangerous Drizzletoed-partner Ludicolo, and Fighting-types frequently included in both teams for coverage. You can use Acrobatics on Whimsicott if you suspect it of trying to Taunt your Crobat, or Taunt it if you suspect that it suspects that. Super Fang halves wall-Pokemon like Cresselia who might not be KO'd normally even with two attacks. If you absolutely can't stop a certain Pokemon with the other options, Swagger can reduce their chance of success down to 50% and ignore Mental Herb (but not the occasional Lum Berry), but dont bank on it.

Most importantly, Crobat carries Sunny Day to frustrate Drizzle teams. Whether Politoed is in the fray first turn or switches in during the first turn, Crobat will still use Sunny Day after Rain has started, and do so before the foe can use a Water-type attack.

Brave Bird is overall inferior to Acrobatics and is only included because you can use Heat Rock with it. However, in the situations where Crobat will be using Sunny Day to mess up Politoed's rain, the weather will be going back and forth, and the weather will seldom last for more than four turns anyway.

--------------------------------------

If someone can convince me that Crobat can still be potent on the Special side of the spectrum, I'll write one up. It has a colorful movepool and all, but I don't see it doing much since Nasty Plot isn't very useful in Doubles.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If this is a double battles set, and the opponent is using rain, Crobat will be dead long before it has time to use sunny day (or sand for that matter). For example: Ludicolo can easily Surf or Ice Beam in the rain, and Politoed will finish off Crobat is it survives. The only situation that sunny day would be useful is in hail, in which case a STAB move would be better.

Flying Gem Acrobatics can OHKO Hitmontop, Weavile, Infernape, Toxicroak, and Scrafty. A 100% chance to beat super common Fake Out users is really too good to pass up. Taunt is Crobat's best weapon against Trick Room users and Smeargle, and Super Fang can be used over Sunny Day.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you should make a separate set and include muffinhead's suggestions, i've seen him use crobat to great success! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)