Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
nature: Quiet
ability: Snow Warning
-Blizzard
-Ice Shard
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power Fire / Earthquake

• With a Sash, Abomasnow makes a great lead, able to underspeed and set up weather before every other common weather inducer, and works especially well against opposing Sash users with Hail breaking Sashes and Ice Shard finishing them off. Blizzard and Grass Knot have excellent coverage together, while Hidden Power Fire hits the Steel-types that resist both attacks.

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Hasty
-Blizzard
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power Fire
-Earthquake
  • With this set, Abomasnow aims to do as much damage as possible while retaining the ability to change the weather, stopping opposing weather teams in their tracks.
  • Blizzard and Grass Knot are Abomasnow's powerful dual STAB, while Hidden Power Fire hits Scizor and Ferrothorn for super effective damage. Earthquake hits Heatran and Magnezone for an OHKO.

Doubles Sets
Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
nature: Timid
-Blizzard
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power Fire
-Ice Shard
  • Blizzard and Grass Knot have excellent coverage together, and a fast Blizzard off of a normally slow Pokemon can be unexpected and quite powerful. Hidden Power Fire OHKOes Scizor and does good damage to Metagross.
  • Ice Shard may seem an unorthodox choice, but priority is always useful, and Ice Shard can take out Yanmega no matter how many Speed Boosts it has.

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash / Iron Ball / Ice Gem
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
nature: Quiet
ivs: 0 Spe
-Blizzard
-Grass Knot
-Ice Shard / HP Fire
-Protect
  • Blizzard and Grass Knot have excellent coverage together. Ice Shard hits the multitude of faster Pokemon, while HP Fire allows Abomasnow to do reasonable damage to Steel-types such as Scizor and Metagross.
  • Focus Sash guarantees Abomasnow stays alive for at least one turn despite its many weaknesses, but Iron Ball virtually guarantees that Hail will stay up, with Abomasnow being the slowest weather starter outside of Hippowdon. However, Iron Ball means Abomasnow speed ties with Iron Ball Tyranitar, which makes Iron Ball slightly less useful. Ice gem makes Blizzard ridiculously powerful and allows Abomasnow to take out Dragon-types with Ice Shard more easily.
  • Steel-types such as Metagross can easily take Abomasnow down with their STAB attacks while taking little damage in return, so Pokemon such as Chandelure which can set up Trick Room and hit Steel-types hard, or Garchomp, which can use its STAB Earthquake, make excellent partners.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Focus Sash Abomasnow also appears to be one of its most common sets in singles; I have encountered it more than the Scarfer. Abomasnow is perhaps one of the best Sashers out there due to its ability to break apart opposing Sashes thanks to Hail (I also use Sashtar for a similar reason) and access to Ice Shard.

breh

強いだね
I've been using LO on the second set; it works well. it makes the normally weak ice shard pack a bit more of a punch.

also, sorry for pseudo necrobumping.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The reason I don't like Life Orb on Abomasnow is because its not that bulky as it is, and using Life Orb makes it difficult for it to take advantage of the few resistances it does have. While it makes its moves more potent, it doesn't attain any new KOs outside of Garchomp with Ice Shard (iirc). So while it makes Abomasnow more powerful, it doesn't really have too much of a positive effect.

I've been successfully running a different variation of the last set in doubles...

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Quiet
0 Speed IV
252 Atk/252 SpAtk/4 HP
Blizzard/Ice Shard/Wood Hammer/Protect

breh

強いだね
mention 0 speed aboma ties with 0 speed ttar at lv. 50
you are incorrect, I think.

aboma reaches 58, tar gets 59.

I'm not even sure this is the case with iron ball (does it round down?)

edit: no, they do not have the same base speeds (61 is 60?). if it rounds down, then they do have the same speed at level 50.

Ice Gem should really only be considered if Abomasnow can't run anything else, and I think on any hail team Focus Sash should probably get priority, closely tailed by things like Life Orb. I understand Choice Scarf's usefulness, but I think it's better used on a hail abuser like Glaceon, who has a less diverse movepool. Abomasnow really needs to survive the other members to win weather wars, and being able to use Protect is a big bonus in that direction, not to mention being able to endure one more attack or switch out for later on.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
All numbers in Pokemon round down, so even though Abomasnow is one point slower than Tyranitar, they both reach 29 Speed with an Iron Ball. I've added Ice Gem.

While Choice Scarf may be outclassed on a dedicated hail team, it allows Abomasnow to fit in much more easily to a goodstuffs team, with the ability to get an easy double KO against unsuspecting opponents. While it utterly loses in weather wars (although Wood Hammer does huge damage to both Poli and Tar and Earthquake mains Ninetales), it becomes far more immediately useful, and can still work well as cleanup in the back of a team, changing the weather and doing huge damage with Blizzard.

I would mention max speed on the Scarf set, as that's the only way it can outspeed max speed Thundurus and Tornadus. That's come in handy multiple times for me.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Hasty
-Blizzard
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power Fire
-Earthquake

Doubles Sets
Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
nature: Timid
-Blizzard
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power Fire
-Ice Shard
It's worth noting that with HP Fire, you should not run 252 SpA or 252 Spe, because your IVs for those stats are forced to be 30 and not 31, and at level 50 this causes you to waste 4 EVs. Instead the EVs should be distributed like so to prevent waste:

Singles Choice Scarf
IVs: 31 HP / 31 Atk
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Atk / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 248 Spe

Doubles Choice Scarf
IVs: 31 HP / 31 Atk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 248 SpA / 4 SpD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)