Ambipom

Ambipom

HP: 75
Attack: 100
Defense: 66
Special Attack: 60

Special Defense: 66
Speed: 115

Technician: Moves with a base power of 60 or less raise to 1.5 times.
Pickup: Has a 10% chance of finding and holding an item after battle. Will not work if this Pokémon is already holding an item. In Black & White, it allows for the user to pick up the item of its opponent or ally if they used up the item in battle.
Hidden Ability:

Skill Link: Moves that attack 2-5 times always hit 5 times.

(Doubles) Fake Out

Ambipom @ Focus Sash/Normal Gem
Jolly
Technician
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Fake Out
Double Hit
Payback/Low Sweep
Taunt/Protect

Ambipom niche in this metagame is in the second fastest, and the most powerful Fake Out in the game. It is only out sped in Fake Outs by Weavile. Ambipom's ability, Technician, fits its move pool very well, with Double Hit and Fake Out doubling it power, if you factor in STAB also. Double Hit's ability to break Substitutes is valuable. Shadow Claw allows Ambipom to hit the Ghost types that Double Hit and Fake Out do not hit. The choice between Protect and Taunt is simply a choice of prediction, and the ability to shut supporters down.

Focus Sash is a good item to have, as Ambipom is extremely frail. However, Normal Gem pumps up Double Hit and Fake Out one notch further, and gives Ambipom an extreme boost in hitting power. The EVs are simple, maximizing Speed and Attack. Some other options for Ambipom are Fire Punch and Aerial Ace, as Fire Punch hits Grass types and Steel types like Abomasnow and Metagross, while Aerial Ace gets Technician boost and hits Bug, Fighting, and Grass types. Last Resort gets a mention for its pure power and the surprise factor. It should be run with Fake Out and possibly Protect, as it needs very few moves to use Last Resort.

It doesn't :/ By the way, Fake Out goes to 90 power after Technician and STAB I believe, rather than just being doubled (which you seemed to imply, but maybe I misinterpreted).

Well thank you then. I won't mention Acrobat Flight Gem. However, I will add Aerial Ace to the fray, as it gets similar power. Also, I will add 90 power.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Acrobatics actually does get a Technician boost even at 110 power due to a PO glitch, so that's probably what caused the confusion.

So, just to clarify for understanding, the order of operations goes like this?:

Flight Gem activates --> Acrobatics doubles from no item --> Technician fails to boost the already double-powered Acrobatics

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
The exact same set, only with U-turn or Low Kick in the final slot, is usable in singles thanks to Ambipom's high Speed and excellent coverage. By the way, Payback is a better move than Shadow Claw thanks to the Technician boost. It'll be ~75 BP if moving before the opponent, and 100 BP if moving after, making it always more powerful than Shadow Claw or Night Slash.

I've tried that in 09'

Ambipom @LO/Sash
Jolly/Adamant
[Technician]
EV's: 252 atk, 252 speed, 6 hp
-Fake Out
-Protect/Agility
-Last Resort

Sash was used with Adamant and Agility, and LO with Jolly and Protect. Both were really fun sets, but they only had the surprise value once (needless to say it was completely walled by Dusknoir, Gengar and Rhyperior ._. )

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Ambipom is so fast, and Adamant gives such a small benefit, that I see no reason to use Adamant or Agility, but the set itself is annoying and somewhat useful, even in singles.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Hey bros no need to start a fight. The set is certainly gimmicky, as it's walled by anything that resists Normal-type attacks, but it's absolutely usable thanks to Ambipom's Speed and power when abusing Last Resort. Don't engage in fisticuffs over this lol.

An Aerial Ace without Flight Gem does not KO any significant Fighting-type except for Virizion or Breloom, making it rather useless, and if you're going to use Flight Gem anyway, you might as well use Acrobatics for the extra power. Aerial Ace doesn't really have any use over Acrobatics unless you really want Sash/Normal Gem and you really hate Virizion and Breloom.

I've tried that in 09'

Ambipom @LO/Sash/King's Rock
Jolly/Adamant
[Technician]
EV's: 252 atk, 252 speed, 6 hp
-Fake Out
-Protect/Agility
-Last Resort
-Fling

Sash was used with Adamant and Agility, and LO with Jolly and Protect. Both were really fun sets, but they only had the surprise value once (needless to say it was completely walled by Dusknoir, Gengar and Rhyperior ._. )
Fixed :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)