Whimsicott (GP 2/2)

Easily one of the most annoying subseeders.

Whimsicott

[Overview]

<p>Say hello to what is arguably the best annoyer and disruptor in the game. With its plethora of non-attacking moves, and a devious ability in Prankster that provides said moves with priority, Whimsicott takes the infamous SubSeed strategy to a whole new level. As Whimsicott learns Encore, it can be used as a last-resort check to many sweepers by locking them into a move. Whimsicott also receives Taunt, allowing it to hamper many defensive Pokemon. In addition, Whimsicott has great synergy with defensive rain cores, as it prevents set-up sweepers from running straight through the team, while defensive teams can cover Whimsicott’s weaknesses quite well. Despite these excellent perks, not all is sunshine for Whimsicott. Not only is Whimsicott neutralized by Grass-types, Rapid Spinners, and Pokemon with the Magic Bounce ability
, it faces fierce competition from Shaymin-S and Jumpluff. The former boasts a much more formidable offensive presence, while the latter has access to Sleep Powder. Nevertheless, priority on all of its main moves, lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, and ability to function outside of sun are a few of many reasons to choose Whimsicott. With adequate support and good prediction, it will drain its victims dry of their HP.</p>

[SET]
name: SubSeed
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Encore
move 4: Taunt
item: Leftovers
ability: Prankster
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Prankster, Whimsicott is possibly the best SubSeeder in the game. The combination of Leech Seed and Substitute is completely self-explanatory, and is what makes Whimsicott so fearsome. Whimsicott's priority Encore allows it to switch into a sweeper's setup move, lock them into said Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, or Calm Mind, and commence the SubSeed strategy. Taunt allows Whimsicott to set up on defensive Pokemon such as Blissey and Chansey with little fear, unless the former is packing Ice Beam or Flamethrower. It also prevents Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, and Forretress setting up layers and layers of entry hazards every time Whimsicott comes in. Should you misplay and allow a dangerous sweeper to set up, Whimsicott can act as an emergency stop by locking the opposing Pokemon into a single move with Encore. Just keep in mind that ExtremeSpeed has +2 priority this generation, meaning Whimsicott cannot stop Swords Dance Rayquaza or Extreme K
iller Arceus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs provide maximum Special Defense to help Whimsicott tank an occasional hit, and prevents defensive variants of Kyogre from breaking Whimisicott's Substitute with Scald. An alternate EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD can be used as well, as it provides better
Defense, and restores a larger percentage of HP with Leech Seed. Taunt is important to prevent Spikers such as Ferrothorn and Forretress from freely littering your field with Spikes; however, Hidden Power Fire can be used instead to incinerate them. Sun support is required though, as Hidden Power Fire does laughable damage in the rain.</p>

<p>Whimsicott generally functions best when backed by passive damage from stall teams. Tentacruel synergizes very well with Whimsicott, as it can set up and absorb Toxic Spikes, both of which help Whimsicott substantially. Forretress also helps Whimsicott, as it can set up all forms
of entry hazards and provides Rapid Spin support. However, this isn't the best way to remove Toxic Spikes. Poison Arceus is another helpful teammate as it can also reliably absorb Toxic Spikes, which render Whimsicott quite useless otherwise, while also being able to hammer Ferrothorn with Fire Blast. As Whimsicott is quite dependent on entry hazards support to reach its full potential, having a spinblocker can be very beneficial. Giratina, Giratina-O, and Ghost Arceus are all capable spinblockers, while the former can patch any weakness to Extreme Killer Arceus that Whimsicott may create. Blissey and Chansey are also helpful teammates as they can pass large Wishes to Whimsicott, while being able to take powerful special attacks aimed at Whimsicott. Grass-types, Pokemon with Magic Bounce, and Rapid Spinners all wall Whimsicott quite easily, so having a way to deal with them is recommended. Ho-Oh can destroy Grass-types with its powerful STAB attacks, while also being able to set up on Forretress and Tentacruel in the sun. A Pursuit user, such as Tyranitar, can make quick work of Xatu, thus allowing Whimsicott to SubSeed freely.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Whimsicott has plenty of other options it can play with and attempt to abuse. The combination of Light Screen, Tailwind, and Memento can provide some interesting team support for Pokemon such as Swords Dance Groudon; however, Tailwind's short three-turn span means it can easily be outstalled, and Latios is generally better at utilizing dual screens + Memento. Whimsicott has lots of status moves in its arsenal as well, such as Toxic, Stun Spore, and GrassWhistle, but there are many better Pokemon to use these moves
, and the latter two are inaccurate. Cotton Guard also makes Whimsicott quite challenging to take down with physical attacks, but there isn't a shortage of special attacks in Ubers. Finally, U-turn can allow Whimsicott to do some scouting, but as Whimsicott's offenses are almost nonexistent, it will do laughable damage to the target.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Shaymin-S is probably the best counter to Whimsicott, as it fears nothing except for a possible sun-boosted Hidden Power Fire on the switch, and can easily dispatch Whimsicott with its STAB Air Slash. Ferrothorn is in the same boat, but it cannot take Whimsicott down as efficiently, and doesn't enjoy being Taunted. Grass Arceus also walls it, but cannot counter it effectively if Toxic Spikes are on the field. Xatu walls Whimsicott to kingdom come, and can freely set up screens. Scizor and Hydreigon can break the SubSeed cycle with U-turn. Forretress and Tentacruel can use Rapid Spin repeatedly to deplete Leech Seed's PP, but this attack is just begging to get Encored.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Don't even consider any ability other than Prankster. If you want a Chlorophyll SubSeeder, just use Jumpluff, who also boasts Sleep Powder.</p>

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Normally I wouldn't do this, but

Approved 1 /2

I've used Subseed Whimsicott, and its pretty much a jumpluff on steroids! Just make sure you have taunt, because Ferrothorn is a bitch.

Mention another EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD. It helps Whimsicott recover a lot more from Leech Seed damage, you lose the ability to take more attacks but you will recover more each turn. Many Ubers have large HP stat but against things like Scarf Palkia, max HP Whimsicott is recovering a rather average amount.

Whimsicott generally doesn't need to take much attacks anyway and those that are powerful will still kill it. It comes in on non damaging moves such as Dragon Dance, Recover and Wish and start the SubSeed cycle. As a Grass-type annoyer, it faces stiff competition from Ferrothorn who is bulkier and has Spikes + better resistances.

Scizor is a good counter despite its rarity, thanks to U-turn and poison immunity. Hydreigon has U-Turn to foil SubSeed, and it has Fire Blast to KO Whimsicott. Mention Hidden Power Fire in AC as it's Whimsicott's best way of eliminating Forretress and Ferrothorn, both counter you otherwise.

QC APPROVED (2/2)

Alright thanks Trickroom for your approval, I'll include your changes when I write it up which I'll do asap.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
-You should also give Shaymin-S a special mention as a counter since its immune to Tspikes.

-Mention ghost types such as Giratina, Giratina-O, and Ghost Arceus as teammates because Whimsicott really needs entry hazards to be effective, it can't afford for them to be spinned away.

-Mention Forretress since it can Rapid Spin and set up hazards for Whimsicott

-Its strange, but mention Poison Arceus since if you can't fit Tentecruel, its your best bet for absorbing Tspikes.

-Very very minor nitpick, but make the nature Calm so you don't take as much damage from getting Confused.

All right theorymon I'll add your changes as well as I write it. The reason I had Careful was so struggle could do more damage since it's possible for Whimsicott to get Taunted and it's moves have fairly low pp but I'll change it to Calm if you want.

I should really change my name to 'broken record' with that amount of times i've been through this lol.

Subseeding sucks. Admittedly, it doesn't suck in ubers as much as it does in OU, but ferrothorn is still #4 in usage, forretress and tentacruel laugh at you, and arceus says 'i just won' should he ever get in. Not even kidding; if extreme speed arceus shows up, you almost certainly just lost the game.

Its OU analysis was changed to remove the emphasis on substitute and put more of an emphasis on encore/u-turn. Because Ubers does not contain as large of a percentage of hard counters to subseeding as OU does, perhaps just adding a second subless set is necessary. Whimsicott with max hp/spdef can really mess up the special sweepers with encore, then u-turning into a counter to whatever they switch to. It's also a great counter to Kyogre, as ice beam does surprisingly little damage.

Unfortunately, Whimsicott can't solve the arceus problem. If your opponent is stupid enough to let you encore a swords dance, you better hope you have something that can kill it or burn it before encore wears off. Defensive giratina really has to be a teammate. The only whimsicott that can stand cotton-to-tentaclethings with arceus is a max def/hp cotton guard one, and it still has to win a 50/50 prediction war.

Honestly, my experience with whimsicott in ubers (which is quite extensive; it's my favorite pokemon, so i spent a great deal of time trying to make it work) leads me to say that it doesn't really warrant an uber analysis at all. It's still great utility and a pretty good kyogre counter, but there is better utility and better kyogre counters available. Also, as usual, grass types can lead to redundant defensive coverage; multiple dragons on a team is quite common.

Theorymon

Thing is, Ive used Whimsicott a lot myself, and Ive come to quite a different conclusion than you. I think Subseeding is fine for one main reason: Toxic Spikes. I don't know about OU, but in Ubers, most of the prominent Pokemon HATE Toxic Spikes, and Whimsicott is great at abusing this fact. Sure you could say "Ferrothorn exists", but Ferrothorn is nowhere near as effective as a subseeder as Whismicott, plus Ferrothorn isn't exactly fond of Taunt.

Its got some annoying weaknesses, but like I said, its a jumpluff on roids, which means that with proper support its a real bastard. The overview should focus on the fact that Whimsicott must be only used on stall teams, that's where it's at home. This also solves the whole SD Arceus problem since most stall teams will have an answer for that, plus most Arceus loathe Toxic Spikes!

I don't think Whismicott should use any other set in Ubers than Subseed too, because from my experience, the other support sets never really did much, while the Subseed set can work very well on stall teams because Toxic Spikes support makes it so nasty.

Yeah I know Whim on offense is idiotic. Btw Green Mage I really don't know how you couldnt use this thing well in Ubers. It's a beast actually with Toxic Spikes support and Xatu can easily cover the Ferrothorn weakness and give you free screens. Tbh I'd use Whimsicott on a serious team any day because it's really effective.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Unofficial GP check.

Add
Remove
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Say hello to what is arguably the best annoyer and disruptor in the game. With its plethora of non-attacking moves, and a devious ability in Prankster that provides the said moves with priority, Whimsicott takes the infamous SubSeed strategy to a whole new level. Since As Whimsicott also receives Encore, it can be used as a last resort check to many sweepers by locking them into a move. Whimsicott also receives Taunt, allowing it to hamper many defensive pokemon. Pokemon. Despite these excellent perks, not all is sunshine for Whimsicott (which is quite literal, (Comma) since as it always functions best on stall teams, particularly along side alongside rain cores). Not only is Whimsicott neutralized by Grass-types, Rapid Spinners, and pokemon Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce, it also has fierce competition from Shaymin-S and Jumpluff. The former boasts a much more formidable threat offensively, (This sentence could be changed. Sounds iffy.) while the ladder latter has access to Sleep Powder. Nevertheless, priority on all of its main moves, lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, and no dependance on the Sun sun all provide much reason to choose Whimsicott. Predict well, support Whimsicott properly, and it will drain its victims dry of their HP.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Prankster, Whimsicott is quite possibly the best SubSeeder in the game. Leech Seed and Substitute are completely self explanatory, and is are what makes Whimsicott so fearsome to face. Its priority Encore allows it to switch into a sweeper's set up move such as Swords Dance, lock them into it, and commence the SubSeed strategy. Taunt also allows Whimsicott to set up on defensive pokemon Pokemon such as Blissey or Chansey with little fear, unless the former is packing Ice Beam or Flamethrower. It also prevents Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, and Forretress from setting up layers and layers of entry hazards every time Whimsicott comes in. Should you make a misplay and allow a dangerous sweeper to set up, Whimsicott can act as an emergency stop by locking the opposing pokemon Pokemon into a single move with Encore. Just keep in mind that ExtremeSpeed has +2 priority this generation, meaning it Whimsicott cannot stop Swords Dance Rayquaza or Extremekiller Arceus.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The given evs EVs provide maximum Special Defense to help it Whimsicott tank the occasional hit it may sustain, and prevents defensive variants of Kyogre from breaking Whimisicott's Substitute with Scald. An alternate ev EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD can be used as well, as it provides more physical defense, Defense, and restores a larger percentage of HP with Leech Seed. Taunt is important to prevent Spikers like such as Ferrothorn or Forretress from freely littering your field with Spikes, however, Hidden Power Fire can be used instead to incinerate them. Sun support is required though, as it does laughable damage in the rain.</p>

<p>Whimsicott generally functions best alongside the passive damage of stall teams. Tentacruel synergies synergizes very well with Whimsicott, (Comma) since as it can both set up and absorb Toxic Spikes, both of which help Whimsicott substantially. Forretress also meshes well with it, Whimsicott, since as it can set up all types of entry hazards and provide Rapid Spin support, . however, However, this isn't a reliable way to remove Toxic Spikes. Poison Arceus is a helpful teammate if Tentacruel is undesirable since as it can also reliably absorb Toxic Spikes, which make render Whimsicott quite useless otherwise, while also being able to hammer Ferrothorn with Fire Blast. Since As Whimsicott is quite dependent on entry hazards, having a spinblocker can be very beneficial. Giratina, Giratina-O, and Ghost Arceus are all quite capable spinblockers, while the former can patch any weakness to Extremekiller Arceus that Whimsicott may create. Blissey and Chansey are also helpful teammates since as they can pass large Wishes to Whimsicott, while being able to take powerful special attacks aimed at Whimsicott. Grass-types, pokemon Pokemon with Magic Bounce, and Rapid Spinners all stop Whimsicott quite easily, so having a way to deal with them is recommended. Ho-Oh can destroy Grass-types with its powerful STAB attacks, while also being able to set up on Forretress and Tentacruel in the sun.A strong pokemon Pokemon with Pursuit such as Tyranitar can make quick work of Xatu, thus allowing Whimsicott to SubSeed freely.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Whimsicott has plenty of other options it can play with and attempt to abuse. The combination of Light Screen, Tailwind, and Memento can provide some interesting team support for something like Swords Dance Groudon, however, Tailwind's short three turn span means it can easily be outstalled, and Latios is generally better at utilizing dual screens*+*Memento. (Spaces here) Whimsicott has lots of status moves in its arsenal also as well, such as: (< Remove) Toxic, Stun Spore, and GrassWhistle, however there are many better pokemon Pokemon for these roles, and the latter two are inaccurate. Cotton Guard also makes it Whimsicott quite challenging to take down on the physical side, but there isn't a shortage of special attacks in Ubers. Finally U-turn can allow Whimsicott to do some scouting, although, (< Comma) Whimsicott's offenses are almost non-existent nonexistent, meaning it will be doing laughable damage to whatever comes in.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Shaymin-S is probably the best counter to Whimsicott, (< Comma) since as it fears nothing except for a possible sun boosted Hidden Power Fire in the sun on the switch, and can easily dispatch of Whimsicott with its STAB Air Slash. Ferrothorn is in the same boat, except it cannot take it Whimsicott down as efficiently and doesn't enjoy being Taunted. Grass Arceus also walls it, although it but cannot counter it effectively if Toxic Spikes are on the field. Xatu walls it to kingdom come, and can freely set up screens. Scizor and Hydreigon can also break the SubSeed cycle with U-turn. Forretress and Tentacruel can use Rapid Spin repeatedly to deplete Leech Seed, however but this attack is just begging to get Encored.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Don't even consider any other ability then other than Prankster, . (< Edit comma) if If you want a Chlorophyll SubSeeder just use Jumpluff, (< Comma) who also boasts Sleep Powder.</p>
EDIT: Proofread and finalized.

remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Say hello to what is arguably the best annoyer and disruptor in the game. With its plethora of non-attacking moves, and a devious ability in Prankster that provides said moves with priority, Whimsicott takes the infamous SubSeed strategy to a whole new level. As Whimsicott also receives learns Encore, it can be used as a last-resort check to many sweepers by locking them into a move. Whimsicott also receives Taunt, allowing it to hamper many defensive Pokemon. Despite these excellent perks, not all is sunshine for Whimsicott (which is quite literal, as it always functions best on stall teams, particularly alongside rain cores) if this is important info, put it in a separate sentence somewhere. Not only is Whimsicott neutralized by Grass-types, Rapid Spinners, and Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce, it also has faces fierce competition from Shaymin-S and Jumpluff. The former boasts poses a much more formidable offensive threat offensively or boasts + presence, while the latter has access to Sleep Powder. Nevertheless, priority on all of its main moves, lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, and no dependance on the ability to function outside of sun all provide much reason are a few of many reasons to choose Whimsicott. Predict well, support Whimsicott properly, and it will drain its victims dry of their HP.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Prankster, Whimsicott is quite possibly the best SubSeeder in the game. The combination of Leech Seed and Substitute are is completely self-explanatory, and are is what makes Whimsicott so fearsome to face. Its Whimsicott's priority Encore allows it to switch into a sweeper's set<no space>up move, lock them into it said Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, or Calm Mind, and commence the SubSeed strategy. Taunt also allows Whimsicott to set up on defensive Pokemon such as Blissey or and Chansey with little fear, unless the former is packing Ice Beam or Flamethrower. It also prevents Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, and Forretress setting up layers and layers of entry hazards every time Whimsicott comes in. Should you make a misplay and allow a dangerous sweeper to set up, Whimsicott can act as an emergency stop by locking the opposing Pokemon into a single move with Encore. Just keep in mind that ExtremeSpeed has +2 priority this generation, meaning Whimsicott cannot stop Swords Dance Rayquaza or Extremekiller Arceus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs provide maximum Special Defense to help Whimsicott tank the an occasional hit it may sustain, and prevents defensive variants of Kyogre from breaking Whimisicott's Substitute with Scald. An alternate EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD can be used as well, as it provides more physical Defense, and restores a larger percentage of HP with Leech Seed. Taunt is important to prevent Spikers such as Ferrothorn or and Forretress from freely littering your field with Spikes; however, Hidden Power Fire can be used instead to incinerate them. Sun support is required though, as it Hidden Power Fire does laughable damage in the rain.</p>

<p>Whimsicott generally functions best alongside the when backed by passive damage of from stall teams. Tentacruel synergizes very well with Whimsicott, as it can both set up and absorb Toxic Spikes, both of which help Whimsicott substantially. Forretress also meshes well with Whimsicott, as it can set up all types of entry hazards and provide Rapid Spin support. However, this isn't a reliable the best preferential way to remove Toxic Spikes. Poison Arceus is another helpful teammate if Tentacruel is undesirable as it can also reliably absorb Toxic Spikes, which render Whimsicott quite useless, while also being able to hammer Ferrothorn with Fire Blast. As Whimsicott is quite dependent on entry hazards, having a spinblocker can be very beneficial. Giratina, Giratina-O, and Ghost Arceus are all capable spinblockers, while the former can patch any weakness to Extremekiller Arceus that Whimsicott may create. Blissey and Chansey are also helpful teammates as they can pass large Wishes to Whimsicott, while being able to take powerful special attacks aimed at Whimsicott. Grass-types, Pokemon with Magic Bounce, and Rapid Spinners all stop Whimsicott quite easily, so having a way to deal with them is recommended. Ho-Oh can destroy Grass-types with its powerful STAB attacks, while also being able to set up on Forretress and Tentacruel in the sun. A strong Pokemon with Pursuit, such as Tyranitar, can make quick work of Xatu, thus allowing Whimsicott to SubSeed freely.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Whimsicott has plenty of other options it can play with and attempt to abuse. The combination of Light Screen, Tailwind, and Memento can provide some interesting team support for something like Pokemon such as Swords Dance Groudon; however, Tailwind's short three-turn span means it can easily be outstalled, and Latios is generally better at utilizing dual screens + Memento. Whimsicott has lots of status moves in its arsenal as well, such as Toxic, Stun Spore, and GrassWhistle, however but there are many better Pokemon for these roles, and the latter two are inaccurate. Cotton Guard also makes Whimsicott quite challenging to take down on the physical side, but there isn't a shortage of special attacks in Ubers. Finally, U-turn can allow Whimsicott to do some scouting, although Whimsicott's offenses are almost nonexistent, meaning it will be doing do laughable damage to whatever comes in.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Shaymin-S is probably the best counter to Whimsicott, as it fears nothing except for a possible sun-boosted Hidden Power Fire on the switch, and can easily dispatch Whimsicott with its STAB Air Slash. Ferrothorn is in the same boat, except but it cannot take Whimsicott down as efficiently, and doesn't enjoy being Taunted. Grass Arceus also walls it, but cannot counter it effectively if Toxic Spikes are on the field. Xatu walls it Whimsicott to kingdom come, and can freely set up screens. Scizor and Hydreigon can break the SubSeed cycle with U-turn. Forretress and Tentacruel can use Rapid Spin repeatedly to deplete Leech Seed's PP, but this attack is just begging to get Encored.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Don't even consider any ability other than Prankster. If you want a Chlorophyll SubSeeder, just use Jumpluff, who also boasts Sleep Powder.</p>

GP 1/2

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
remove add comments

[Overview] <--- uncap

<p>Say hello to what is arguably the best annoyer and disruptor in the game. With its plethora of non-attacking moves, and a devious ability in Prankster that provides said moves with priority, Whimsicott takes the infamous SubSeed strategy to a whole new level. As Whimsicott learns Encore, it can be used as a last-resort check to many sweepers by locking them into a move. Whimsicott also receives Taunt, allowing it to hamper many defensive Pokemon. In addition, Whimsicott has great synergy with defensive rain cores, as it prevents set-up sweepers from running straight through the team, while defensive teams can cover Whimsicott’s weaknesses quite well. Despite these excellent perks, not all is sunshine for Whimsicott. Not only is Whimsicott neutralized by Grass-types, Rapid Spinners, and Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce ability, it faces fierce competition from Shaymin-S and Jumpluff. The former boasts a much more formidable offensive presence, while the latter has access to Sleep Powder. Nevertheless, priority on all of its main moves, lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, and ability to function outside of sun are a few of many reasons to choose Whimsicott. Predict well, support Whimsicott properly, With adequate support and good prediction, and it will drain its victims dry of their HP.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Prankster, Whimsicott is quite possibly the best SubSeeder in the game.
The combination of Leech Seed and Substitute is completely self-explanatory, and is what makes Whimsicott so fearsome to face. Whimsicott's priority Encore allows it to switch into a sweeper's setup move, lock them into said Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, or Calm Mind, and commence the SubSeed strategy. Taunt allows Whimsicott to set up on defensive Pokemon such as Blissey and Chansey with little fear, unless the former is packing Ice Beam or Flamethrower. It also prevents Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, and Forretress setting up layers and layers of entry hazards every time Whimsicott comes in. Should you make a misplay and allow a dangerous sweeper to set up, Whimsicott can act as an emergency stop by locking the opposing Pokemon into a single move with Encore. Just keep in mind that ExtremeSpeed has +2 priority this generation, meaning Whimsicott cannot stop Swords Dance Rayquaza or Extreme Killer Arceus.</p>

[
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] <----- remove space

<p>The given EVs provide maximum Special Defense to help Whimsicott tank
an occasional hit, and prevents defensive variants of Kyogre from breaking Whimisicott's Substitute with Scald. An alternate EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD can be used as well, as it provides more physical better Defense, and restores a larger percentage of HP with Leech Seed. Taunt is important to prevent Spikers such as Ferrothorn and Forretress from freely littering your field with Spikes; however, Hidden Power Fire can be used instead to incinerate them. Sun support is required though, as Hidden Power Fire does laughable damage in the rain.</p>

<p>Whimsicott generally functions best
when backed by passive damage from stall teams. Tentacruel synergizes very well with Whimsicott, as it can set up and absorb Toxic Spikes, both of which help Whimsicott substantially. Forretress also meshes well with Whimsicott, as it can set up all types forms of entry hazards and provides Rapid Spin support. However, this isn't the best way to remove Toxic Spikes. Poison Arceus is another helpful teammate as it can also reliably absorb Toxic Spikes, which render Whimsicott quite useless otherwise, while also being able to hammer Ferrothorn with Fire Blast. As Whimsicott is quite dependent on entry hazards support to reach its full potential, having a spinblocker can be very beneficial. Giratina, Giratina-O, and Ghost Arceus are all capable ideal optional spinblockers, while the former can patch any weakness to Extreme Killer Arceus that Whimsicott may create. Blissey and Chansey are also helpful teammates as they can pass large Wishes to Whimsicott, while being able to take powerful special attacks aimed at Whimsicott. Grass-types, Pokemon with Magic Bounce, and Rapid Spinners all stop walls Whimsicott quite easily, so having a way to deal with them is recommended. Ho-Oh can destroy Grass-types with its powerful STAB attacks, while also being able to set up on Forretress and Tentacruel in the sun. A strong Pokemon with A Pursuit user, such as Tyranitar, can make quick work of Xatu, thus allowing Whimsicott to SubSeed freely.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Whimsicott has plenty of other options it can play with and attempt to abuse. The combination of Light Screen, Tailwind, and Memento can provide some interesting team support for
Pokemon such as Swords Dance Groudon; however, Tailwind's short three-turn span means it can easily be outstalled, and Latios is generally better at utilizing dual screens + Memento. Whimsicott has lots of status moves in its arsenal as well, such as Toxic, Stun Spore, and GrassWhistle, but there are many better Pokemon for these roles to use these moves, and the latter two are inaccurate. Cotton Guard also makes Whimsicott quite challenging to take down on the physical side with physical attacks, but there isn't a shortage of special attacks in Ubers. Finally, U-turn can allow Whimsicott to do some scouting, although but as Whimsicott's offenses are almost nonexistent, meaning it will do laughable damage to the target. to whatever comes in.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Shaymin-S is probably the best counter to Whimsicott, as it fears nothing except for a possible sun
-boosted Hidden Power Fire on the switch, and can easily dispatch Whimsicott with its STAB Air Slash. Ferrothorn is in the same boat, but it cannot take Whimsicott down as efficiently, and doesn't enjoy being Taunted. Grass Arceus also walls it, but cannot counter it effectively if Toxic Spikes are on the field. Xatu walls Whimsicott to kingdom come, and can freely set up screens. Scizor and Hydreigon can break the SubSeed cycle with U-turn. Forretress and Tentacruel can use Rapid Spin repeatedly to deplete Leech Seed's PP, but this attack is just begging to get Encored.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Don't even consider any ability other than Prankster. If you want a Chlorophyll SubSeeder
, just use Jumpluff, who also boasts Sleep Powder.</p>

sirndpt's check is way too good. I hope I caught everything else :)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Forretress also meshes well with Whimsicott,
AC paragraph 2, change that meshes to "helps Whimsicott"

Also, iirc Extreme Killer should be Extremekiller

Other than that, sandshrewz check is 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)