Rhyperior (Mixed) (QC 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I am being completely serious.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/464.shtml

Rhyperior is in an unfortunate position in OU, since although it possesses immense attacking power and good coverage, the metagame is crawling with physical walls thanks to the success of Excadrill, Terrakion and Landorus on the seething multitude of Sand-Offense teams. How is Rhyperior supposed to deal with a metagame where Gliscor, who's not even 2HKO'd by a Life Orb'd Stone Edge, is one of the most common threats? Oh wait, Rhyperior gets Ice Beam? SHIT JUST GOT REAL.

name: Mixed Tank
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Ice Beam / Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Naughty
evs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe

This Rhyperior works exactly the same as the other Substitute set, with no difference at all to its offenses or speed. As Gliscor invariably comes in on it to set up a free Swords Dance, you can get a reliable 2HKO with Ice Beam that can potentially be a OHKO with SR support or any residual damage (79.1% - 93.8%), proceeding to wallop the opponent's team with a pokemon they're now much less prepared for. If you really want to OHKO Gliscor with Ice Beam 100% of the time, just move the HP EVs into Special Attack. Alternatively, you can use Fire Blast to get a 2HKO on physically defensive Skarmory (read, the only Skarmory set that's used in a metagame with Excadrill and Conkeldurr being top threats) (55.7% - 65.9%) With this set, Rhyperior can act as a lure to physical walls that, without being weakened, could otherwise check an Excadrill or Terrakion of your own. Alternatively...

name: Mixed Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Ice Beam / Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

...with this set, Rhyperior can threaten a sweep against unprepared teams all on its own. Because let's face it, the opponent's first response to Rhyperior would either be Gliscor or Skarmory, and a Rhyperior with 392 speed and the ability to destroy either of the two is a scary prospect. Again, this set can also pave the way for an Excadrill sweep since it can lure and cripple its checks with ease.

So why on earth should you tolerate Mixed Rhyperior being on the site?

• Megahorn doesn't see a whole lot of use on either of these sets in OU. Slowbro and Shaymin are missing in action, whilst Celebi can outspeed and OHKO Rhyperior anyways (unless Rhyperior has a Rock Polish). By removing Megahorn and replacing it with a mixed option, you lose almost none of the original set's effectiveness and gain the ability to remove one of Rhyperior's (and Excadrill's) greatest obstacles.
  • These sets aren't impaired in any other way than the loss of Megahorn and some special defense (but it's shit anyways) For all intents and purposes, it functions as a regular Rhyperior.
  • I can't see any reason not to run it, frankly.
Looking at this, it might make more sense for Ice Beam and Fire Blast to simply be mentioned in the AC or OO for the other sets, since not much else changes other than the required use of Life Orb and a Special Defense reducing nature. But then again, a well played Rhyperior could easily cost an opponent otherwise prepared against it or Excadrill the match. Sure, it can check only one of Gliscor or Skarmory at once, but surely that's better than neither of them?! I think Ice Beam in particular deserves some emphasis considering how relevant it is to the current metagame. Thoughts?

EDIT: Just realised that Rhyperior's analysis is not in fact geared towards OU at all. But what the hell, I'll leave this up here anyways. :P

I am not buying into this set. Why use Ice Beam or Fire Blast to kill Gliscor and Skarmory when you could use the slot to set up a Swords Dance and kill them just as quickly? Bulky Gliscor can't 2HKO you anyway, with Leftovers and a Swords Dance boost it needs Stone Edge to miss or to Sub Protect stall it. Skarmory has no chance.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You know what else Rhyperior gets? Ice Punch. Adamant LO 252 Atk Ice Punch does 89.3% - 106.2% to 252/184+ Gliscor.

I'm just gonna give this an official no and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)