Cidade do Sol

Cidade do Sol

Introduction
Hello everyone! I think I'm kinda known by now. I came here to present you one of my most successful teams. It's a sun team, and it's kinda unique too. Most teams are Ninetales / Dugtrio / Venusaur / Volcarona / Spinner (or Espeon) / Filler, while mine isn't exactly like that. Those teams are too frail in my opinion, and I hate using frail teams, because they lose too fast. I always play either Stall or Bulky Offense. This one can be classified as the latter, since most pokemon here are bulky and hit hard. Sunshine is, in my opinion, the most powerful weather, but it's badly hindered by the significant presence of Tyranitar, Politoed and Hippowdon on the metagame, and by the fact that its inducer is probably the worst pokémon on the entire OU (Ninetales). So, the goal of the team is to setup Drought, manage other weather inducers in order to win the weather war, and overwhelm the opponent with powerful Drought abusers. Well, this team used to be more effective, but I think people are already used to its tricks, so it’s not working anymore, and this is why I decided to post it.

Achievements
~Reaching the finals of the Smogon Tour Week 3 #1 (and lost because my mother was forcing me to sleep x_x)
~Peaking at #6 with 1512 points as Cesc Fabregas. on the Standard OU ladder
~Won some matches on important brazilian tourneys (but no one cares)
~Some other stuff.

In-depth

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SDef / 160 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Roar
- Safeguard

Ninetales starts off the Sun party. Well I really wish it didn't suck so much x_x. But since Drought is an insanely powerful trait, it makes sense to give it to a total gutter trash such as Ninetales. Seriously, this thing is almost even worse than Politoed lol, but at least it doesn't look so derpy. Basically, this set is the best Ninetales can use, because it can actually wall some stuff and it makes winning weather wars so much easier. Will-O-Wisp hinders Tyranitar, because that badass dude would simply enter for free and OHKO Ninetales any day. But it also severely cripples certain pokémon that try to setup on Ninetales, such as Gyarados or Dragonite, because they're slower (unless if they're Scarfed). Flamethrower is there to kill some pokemon that are fire weak, mainly steels (that aren't Heatran). Energy Ball hits Politoed and Tyranitar for "Super Effective!", despite not doing even 20% to Tyranitar and doing aproximately 25% to Politoed. Yeah, it's a filler. Roar is an interesting option on Ninetales. A lot of Pokémon that don’t care about Will-O-Wisp try to setup in it (such as Dragon Dancers with Lum Berry, Latias, Volcarona, etc), and Roar punishes them.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Donphan is a vital component of the team. That is because it’s the only Pokémon with a Rock resistance, which means that he’s the only member of the team who can take on Tyranitar, one of the most dangerous pokemon against Sun teams. However, its usefulness doesn’t end there. It also carries Rapid Spin, which cleans my field from Entry Hazards, mainly Stealth Rock, which is extremely annoying to this team, because it makes it harder for Ninetales to come in, nullifies Dragonite’s Multiscale and basically 2HKOes Volcarona. And spinning nowadays is much easier, since few people still use Gengar or Jellicent, but if they use, this team will have a hard time. Donphan also sets Stealth Rock for me, limiting the amount of times Tyranitar and Politoed can enter the field. Ice Shard is useful priority against Landorus, Dragons, Gliscor and others, while Earthquake hits hard coming from 120 Base Attack Attack and having STAB applied. Donphan’s trait, Sturdy, is also more helpful than you think. Surviving with 1 HP has saved me from being swept by Dragonites and Haxorus and Excadrills a lot of times. I originally had max attack, but I decided adding more defense to have extra protection against Terrakions and Excadrills.

Roserade (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 136 SDef / 132 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Toxic Spikes
- Sleep Powder
- Weather Ball

This is my favourite team member. Roserade looks so neat. Oh, and she’s also very useful. Rain teams that spam Water attacks normally would 6-0 Sun teams, and this is where Roserade comes in. With her base 105 Special Defense, movepool, resistance to Water type moves, Roserade can be possibly the best Water Pokémon killer on the entire game, being an essential pivot to Politoed and other Water Pokémon. This set is apparently really crazy, but I swear it works. STAB Leaf Storm coming from 125 Special Attack is surely going to hurt, and even more on Water Pokémon. Sleep Powder is an interesting Status move, since Sleep in BW is overpowered. If you sleep a Pokémon, you can switch to a pokemon that OHKOes it, so it will either die (allowing Sleep Powder to be used again) or switch out, meaning that their Sleep counter will be reseted and you can repeat this process forever. Toxic Spikes are actually very useful on this meta, because neither Poison Pokémon nor Rapid Spin are very common, ant Toxic Spikes hinder Tyranitar / Politoed a lot (if one of them switches on a field with Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, they’ll lose 25% of their HP). Weather Ball is an unexpected move, but, in Sun, it’s more powerful than a Moltres’ Flamethrower, so you can use it on the obvious Steel Pokémon switch-in. The EVs are tailored so that Roserade outspeeds most Scizor, Rotom-W, Mew, Jirachi, Celebi, Gliscor and other Pokémon on that area, with 240 HP EVs being used to give Roserade maximum overall bulk while still taking minimum damage from Entry Hazards, and the rest is sent into the Special Defense to take special hits better.​

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Roar

Heatran is an important member of this team, both defensively and offensively. Defensively, it acts as a shield against opposing Fire attacks, as well as being the only Steel-type member, giving the team unique resistances such as Dragon. Offensively, it totally blasts through stuff with an insanely powerful Sun Boosted STAB Fire Blast coming from 394 Special Attack, which can be further improved by switching on Fire Type attacks. Earth Power is there to maim Heatran and Tyranitar, common Fire resistors, while Dragon Pulse hits Dragons, mainly Lati@s, for hard damage. Roar is basically a filler, but it has saved me a lot of times. Like, if I’m facing a +1 Gyarados, my only hope is to phaze it with Heatran and try to kill it on a sweep with Dragonite / Volcarona. Roar also phazes opposing Volcarona, who would, otherwise, be a dangerous threat for this team. Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock only make bulky Waters’ and Blissey’s life harder, because, they take 40%~ from a Fire Blast in the Sun, and if both are in field, neither will be able to take Heatran’s attack. I originally had Choice Specs, because a Specs Overheat is so brutal that it OHKOes max special defense Chansey. Then I was feeling that Choice Specs was being overkill, and tried Life Orb. It was still more than powerful enough, so I tried Balloon. It still gets most Kos, but doesn’t lock me into one attack nor takes 10% of my health away per attack, and in addition, it makes Heatran a perfect counter for opposing Heatran, as well as being able to wall most Dragons (walling Outrage + Fire Attack + Earthquake).​

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

Multiscale Dragonite is, in my opinion, the most broken Pokémon on the meta; yes, even considering Thundurus and Excadrill. Dragonite sets up on 51 of the 53 pokémon on the OU metagame to achieve 388 Speed and 604 Attack, forcing them to sacrifice a lot of pokémons, and, sometimes, their weather inducer, winning the weather war. In return, Ninetales’ Drought makes its Fire Punch more powerful and it allows Dragonite to get past Bronzong and Skarmory more easily. Earthquake hits Heatran and Jirachi (if it’s not in Sun), and STAB Outrage from 604 Attack decimates everything else. Lum Berry ensures that Dragonite can setup against foes like Blissey and Ferrothorn, as well as preventing Confusion hax after the Outrage spam if Dragonite doesn’t setup on a status move. Max speed/attack is a no brainer. Extremespeed could be useful, but a quick kill against Heatran is always cool.​

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Morning Sun / Substitute

Volcarona is the grand finale of the team and also an excellent weapon against Sandstorm teams, because their common pokes (Tyranitar, Jirachi, Rotom-W, Gliscor, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, etc) are totally destroyed by her. Volcarona is also an insanely powerful, with a special attack that is superior to that of Latios and speed similar to that of Salamence. This spread is really crazy, but it’s oh-so effective. I basically pumped defense to the last stat jump available, 242, then added 52 speed EVs to outrun most Rotom-W, Gliscor and other pokemon I already mentioned on the Roserade part; and put the rest into HP. This beast is so bulky; she takes like 35% from Gliscor’s Earthquake, and Scizor can’t touch it and neither can Lucario. The Defense EVs also help in surviving certain attacks such as random Outrages, which is really helpful. The moveset is rather bread and butter. Quiver Dance is the broken setup move, Fiery Dance is primary STAB and hits like hell in Sun (pun intended) and Bug Buzz is a secondary STAB which is also brutal, doing 80%~ to most Rotom-W after a boost. I originally had Morning Sun because 66% recovery is great on a bulky setuper like this, but I’ve been testing Substitute, because it works so great with Toxic Spikes and also eases prediction, for when, say, you’re facing a Tyranitar after a Quiver Dance, and you don’t know if they’re going to stay or send Excadrill.​

Conclusion
Alright, this was my team. I think it’s pretty good, but it can probably be improved even more, so, feel free to rate it!​

Importable
Code:
Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SDef / 160 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Roar
- Safeguard

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Morning Sun
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

Roserade (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 136 SDef / 132 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Toxic Spikes
- Sleep Powder
- Weather Ball

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Roar

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey Blue Star,

First of all, this is an excellent team. Every sun team MUST have a Donphan, because it's so cool and so good. I also love your Roserade. Even then, your team might have some little troubles against opposing Sand teams, like a lot of Sun teams. Well first of all, your Donphan will probably work better with a fully defensive spread. I think that 252 / 252 Impish might be better for your team, since it handles Excadrill a lot better, and will take less damage from stuff like CBTar's Crunch, and your team might have some troubles with Excadrill late game if Sand is up, and since Donphan can take up to 96% from +2 Earthquake, you might lose matches from it actually setting up on Donphan, while a fully defensive spread takes a lot less damage. Anyway, nice team, and good luck!

Congrats for the badge!

Yeah this is an excellent team, as I stole this team from him in order to get reqs ;]. Yeah when I touched the team I did make Donphan more defensive in order to take hits from Terrakion, Landorus, TTar better etc, as you REALLY want Donphan to stay alive, hes your most important member after Ninetails. I also added more speed EVs on roserade (152 EVs) in order to outspeed Heatran, you dont know when this can came on handy. Also I like HP Ice better on Heatran to really full counter DD nite (and score a KO on it, that bitch survived a dpulse once >_>).

Great team bro.

hey bs, nice team youve got here! its interesting to see a solid sun team without dugtrio since i usually think those dont work haha.

anyway, most of my suggestions ended up being already implemented in your team as is, but one thing im worried about is excadrill. even in the sun, only one member of your team (ninetales) outspeeds it and exca can ohko everything but dragonite at full health and donphan at high health. basically its gonna be tough to consistently switch into that (BAN ME PLEASE) pokemon, so the easiest solution i can think of is boosting volcarona up to 160 spe evs with a timid nature. that way volcarona can also revenge excadrill in the sun or outspeed if you can pull out 2 qd's.

just a suggestion that i think might be worth considering, but good team man. good job!

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello blue_star excellent sun team! It's nice people are starting to realize that you don't need a Chlorophyll sweeper to have a successful sun team. It's also rare to see a sun team that can beat up Tyranitar so badly, so good job with that! I think double dancing Terrakion will give you a bit of trouble, once it gets a Rock Polish in Volcarona's face, you don't have much to stop it. You could try Hitmontop over Donphan. | Hitmontop @ Leftover | Intimidate | Impish | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd | Close Combat | Rapid Spin | Sunny Day | Foresight | . Hitmontop can take Terrakion's Rock STAB like Donphan, but he has the luxury of taking them at -1. Hitmontop fixes up your spin block issue with Foresight. You lose your Stealth Rocks, but you can just stick them on Heatran. I listed Sunny Day because Hitmontop can switch into Tyranitar with such ease so why not get rid of the sandstorm. This will take a lot of pressure of your Ninetales.

Speaking of Ninetales I hve some suggestions for your set. First off, you should bump it's speed up to 164. 160 results in a speed tie with Jolly Excadrill if I'm not mistaken. I also recommend using Overheat on Ninetales over Flamethrower. Ninetales rarely gets the chance to attack more then once and the extra power is nice sometimes. Overheat also bluffs the Power Swap so shit like Volcarona and Latias won't want to stay in and set up on you. Once Ninetales hits that -2 from Overheat, your opponent will be really tempted to get a free switch in where you can hit something with Will-O-Wisp. You say Energy Ball is just filler, so I recommend using Safeguard instead. Safeguard really pulls it's weight on Ninetales. With Safeguard, you can safely run Morning sun on Volcarona since you won't be fearing Toxic and you won't be losing Dragonite's Lum Berry to a random Scald burn or something. Ninetales and Donphan also hate being statused thats a couple less things to worry about.

great team and congrats on your success with it!

Its really a solid team but:

If your oponent has set up SR and u don´t remove it yet,Terrakion can be very problematic: This is an Air Balloon Terrakion withouth boosts.
-Close Combat OHKO Heatran
-Stone Edge OHKO Volcarona
-The same to Dragonite
-The same to Ninetales
-Adamant OHKO Roserade, Jolly does it 60% of the time.
-Adamant CC 2HKO Donphan like 80% of the time, and thanks to air balloon, u can only use Ice Shard in the first turn, and die in the second. (Assuming the Leftovers recovering and SR damage)

And unfortunately, u haven´t got anything to Revenge Kill Terrakion. And he can easily set up SD on Volcarona and Heatran, if he set up SD, Good Game.

Its really hard to change your team, As Brizznetz says, u can replace Donphan by Hitmontop, but it isn´t a good idea cause u loose Stealth Rock, so, i only see 2 reliables options:

-Change Roserade for a Venusaur, Venu can still use Sleep Powder, but can´t use Toxic Spikes, however, is a perfect RK for Terrakion.

-Change Donphan evs to 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def.

In my opinion, i will change Roserade, cause there are a lot of big threaths in OU for play without a Revenge Killer, and ur faster pokemon has only 259 of Speed (Ninetales got over 300, but he cannot RK nothing). For example, Physically based MixApe (Close Combat, Stone Edge, U-Turn and Overheat) can be problematic too, as he can OHKO all your team if Dragonite and Donphan aren´t at 100% (Dragonite survive thanks to MultiScale and Donphan thanks to Sturdy)

So, i think put Venusaur in your team will be benificient.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Great team, Blue Star - I am currently test driving Volcarona, so this RMT was very informative!

I also noticed your weakness to Sandstorm sweepers. I suggest Superpower over Stealth Rock on Donphan, so it can even check Terrakion and Balloon Excadrill. Keep the offensive EVs, as it would need those Atk to improve its odd at OHKOing these mons. Donphan is actually a decent check to sandstorm sweepers, so it's a waste to not put this potential to use.

Although it sucks, you would have to stick Stealth Rock on Heatran.

Even though Donphan provides you a good check, it's not a solid one. A revenge killer would definitely be suited for your team. I also recommend Chlorophyll Venusaur over Roserade. It can't lay Toxic Spikes and doesn't have that impressive 125 SpA, but it does absorb Toxic Spikes and has similar special bulk.

Energy Ball | Sleep Powder | Hidden Power [Fire] | Growth / Synthesis / Leech Seed | Leftovers
248 HP | 88 SpA | 56 SDef | 116 Spe | Calm Nature

This spread provides you slightly better bulk than Roserade, and now you have the speed to outrun everything up to Scarfed Timid Rotom-W. You can dump most of those Speed EVs into SpA if you want more power, though. In fact, if you leave 12 EVs in Spe to outrun Jolteon and divert the rest of the Speed EVs into Special Attack, it would actually reach 285 SpA, essentially the same SpA as your Roserade. So although you lose Natural Cure and Toxic Spikes, you do get a Pokemon with better bulk than Roserade and comparable firepower but with amazing speed as well.

If you want to keep Roserade, however, the only other option I see is to Scarf Heatran.

Thanks for the rates everyone =]

I tested and approved using a more defensive Donphan, so I'm going to list that change. Hitmontop and Venusaur will be tested later.

Hey this looks like a good sun team but i noticed that you haven't got a really good switch to Dragon attacks. It's why I'm suggering you to use a more defensive Heatran like that :
Heatran@Leftovers
Flash Fire
Calm
252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Def
Lava Plume
Roar
Taunt
Toxik / Will-O-Wisp

Then you could be able to take all the assaults from a Choice Specs Latios or an other ChoiceDragon pokemon (except Earthquake) in the sun and prevent the opponents Stealth Rock or Spikes with Taunt.

Hey there. This is a really nice team.

First off, I suggest that you run Stealth Rock over Dragon Pulse on Heatran. Donphan would benefit greatly from having that extra moveslot. Roar can just phaze away dragon types regardless; Fire Blast can hit them hard as well in sun.

Now that you have SR on Heatran, run Odor Sleuth over SR on Donphan. This will let you spin on Jellicent and Gengar if necessary, as rapid spin is extremely crucial to your team. Donphan can live a hit from both Gengar and Jellicent, so using it on the switch would guarantee a rapid spin; it can live Scald / Surf from Jellicent due to sun.

On Volcarona, take 96 EVs out of defense and put them into speed and definitely run Substitute over Morning Sun. The EV change will let you outspeed Adamant DD Dragonite (and obviously everything slower than that) and easily defeat it by abusing Substitute to get Flame Body activated.

Again, excellent team. Hope I helped, and good luck!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Awesome team Blue_Star!

I really, really don't like Air Balloon on Tran. Yes it helps you checkmate a few Dragon Types but your going to want to switch Heatran into so many different types of Pokemon, you'll end up losing that balloon pretty quickly, and get stuck with an itemless Heatran. Try using Leftovers for that neat reliability or even a Flame Plate for a power boost that can also bluff a choice set.

Rather than Leftovers, why not try a Choice Scarf on Heatran. Heatran is much too slow in today's metagame to do any real sweeping on his own, and your team lacks paralysis support for him.

Choice Scarf allows him to outspeed all un-Scarfed Pokemon bar Deoxys-S and function effectively as a revenge killer.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Chlorophyll Venusaur can't use leaf storm. I'd just go with a venusaur of the same moveset, with a coverage move over toxic spikes and giga drain energy ball over leaf storm and hp fire over weatherball.

I agree with brizznets in that you should use safegaurd on Ninetales. Chansey and ferrothorn will be forced to switch out of dragonite as you secure multiple boosts as opposed to one with lum berry. And it allows you to use leftovers instead.

That heatran of yours really wants to run flame charge, but I'm not so sure that you want to remove roar.

I would just like to get my 2 cents in and suggest Extremespeed over Earthquake on Dragonite. Earthquake is really only hitting Heatran who is 2HKOd by a +1 Outrage anyway. Extremespeed helps you against scarf pokemon that would outspeed and stop your sweep cold. Im looking at you Haxorus. (it also gives this team some sort of priority to use as a panic button)

And I agree with ShakeItUp with SR on Heatran and Odor Sleuth on Donphan since getting SR off the field is so vital to this team.

Magma

Great team! Nice to see a Sun team at the top of the ladder that doesn't rely on gimmicks or Dugtrio.

However, no team is perfect and there are some weaknesses:
  1. Excadrill
    - Oh how I hate this bitch. Like most Sun teams, you don't have anything that can safely switch-in to it. You're going to end up sacrificing a Pokemon in order to revenge kill it with Ninetales. However, your opponent will just switch back to Tyranitar, force out Ninetales, and the start the cycle all over again.
  2. Haxorus
    - Choice Band + Adamant versions outspeed your whole team and OHKO all of your Pokes except for Heatran and Donphan, who are 2HKOd.
  3. Cloyster
    - After a Shell Smash, it tears your team apart with Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, and Razor Shell. Icicle Spear even bypasses Donphan's Sturdy and Dragonite's Multiscale.
  4. Gyarados
    - Gyarados has plenty of oppurtunies to set up on your team. Once it does, it can wreak havoc with Bounce and Waterfall.
  5. Terrakion
    - It naturally outspeeds your whole team and OHKOs everything after a Swords Dance.

This is an incredibly small threat list for a sun team and theres not much you can do to counter these threats without opening the door to others. But hey, you had a lot of success with the team and if it aint broke, don't fix it. With that said, I have a couple of nitpicks that shouldn't change the foundation of your team.

1. Safeguard over Energy Ball on Ninetales
    - See Brizz's post
  2. Give Donphan about 50 more speed EVs
    - Allows Donphan to outspeed Quiet Tyrantiars who carry Ice Beam. This way, Donphan can 2HKO with Earthquake before T-tar can 2HKO with Ice Beam.
  3. Rest over Sleep Powder on Roserade
    - Rest pairs nicely with Natural Cure and allows Roserade to switch-in to Politoed multiple times.
  4. Stealth Rock over Roar on Heatran
    - Simply to free up a moveslot on Donphan.
  5. Stone Edge over Stealth Rock on Donphan
    - With Stone Edge in it's arsenal, Donphan can now switch-in to and beat all forms of Gyarados in the Sun.
  6. More Speed for Volcarona
    - For all the reasons Undisputed mentioned and so Volcarona can naturally outspeed Jolly + Life Orb Mamoswine, a potential problem for your team.

If you start getting sick of your Terrakion, Haxorus, and Cloyster problem, then you're going to have to shake things up. Without changing your team too much, I came up with this idea.
>

Some might argue that Donphan, the team's Spinner, is your most valuable Pokemon, but I think hes expendable. Your team is built well enough that it can hold its own during most weather wars and as long as you keep the Sun up, Stealth Rock won't be a huge problem. Volcarona can just heal off the damage with Morning Sun. If you decide to go without a Rapid Spinner, then I also recommend changing Offensive Dragonite to Bulky Dragonite and replacing Earthquake with Roost. Hopefully this change doesn't leave you open to opposing Heatran.

Metagross still fills Donphan's role as being your reliable Tyranitar switch-in, but the Swiss Army Knife adds some flexibility to your team. With another Steel on the roster, you wont have to rush Heatran in to battle to fend of Dragon attacks. Now Heatran won't be forced to give up it's Air Balloon so early in the match. Speaking of Heatran, you should also consider giving it Hidden Power [Rock] - it still hit's Dragonite and Salamence hard (while they are taking a turn to break your Air Balloon) but it also covers opposing Volcaronas.

As far as Metagross's moveset goes, you can try the Choice Band set:
Metagross @ Choice Band
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit / Trick​

or you can get creative and play around with a Mixed Set:
Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 76 HP / 128 Atk / 252 SAtk / 52 Spd
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Magnet Rise
- Psychic / Grass Knot​

Both sets have their strengths and weaknesses. The Choice Band set gives your team some much need priority, since you don't have any naturally fast Pokemon. While the Mixed set can also force out most Tyranitars, set up a Magnet Rise, and make most Sand Pokes shit their pants.

Lastly, I'm just theorymoning here. If you find that this switch completely messes up the synergy of your team, then by all means, scrap it.

More rates o/

Alright, I tested Hitmontop > Donphan and used Stealth Rock on Heatran, but I disliked it; I feel that Hitmontop is too frail and Donphan's Ice Shard has saved me a lot of times. I've also tried using Venusaur > Roserade, and I didn't like it tbh. Toxic Spikes are too useful and I felt that Venusaur dies too quickly =|

also yay post 300

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Have you tried the EV spread I posted for Venusaur? It actually has better bulk than Roserade, so I find it hard to believe that it dies too quickly... If you invest only enough Speed to outrun Jolteon, it has the special attack similar to Roserade (285), making Venusaur a more bulky and faster Roserade, sans Natural Cure and Toxic Spikes.

Growth would be a decent option if you invest in Special Atk instead of Speed, but otherwise Leech Seed may be a great supporting move to not only keep Venusaur healthy but to aid your other mons, too. It can pair up nicely with SR to rack up entry hazard damage, and may be useful for setting up Dragonite and Volcarona. Alternatively, Sunny Day will provide you a secondary emergency reserve just in case your Ninetales bites the dust prematurely. With Sunny Day, Venusaur may opt to pack a more powerful Solar Beam over Energy Ball.

But if you need Toxic Spikes, then Roserade is the way to go.

alphatron

and I felt that Venusaur dies too quickly =|
?
Choice specs poli hydro pump vs. max/max calm venusuar: 52.7% - 62.1%
The same attack vs. max/max roserade: 57.4% - 67.9%

Venusaur has better overall bulk than roserade does and can run the fast defensive role if you need him to. He only needs a bit of speed to outpace threats roserade would have some issues with and he isn't exactly a pushover. Of course, he doesn't have toxic spikes so if you really need them, I can see where you're coming from.

Nice team. I think you should have roost on dragonite. I see landorus and TTar causing a lot of problems because when heatran ballon pops consider the game over, Spdef tyranitar is also the main problem.
Ice shard can't ohko or 2hko at full health TTar if it isn't stab or boosted. Also Nape and SDape can also cause problems because of the itnroduction to Iron fist. Can I suggest CM latias or Paraflinch jirachi to the team because they have incredible bulk and can outspeed many nonscarfed threats.

Pocket

alphatron probably got the point across way clearer than I have. Basically Venusaur is superior than Roserade in every way other than Toxic Spikes. It only needs moderate investment in HP / SDef to reach the same special defensive level as your current Roserade. Thus it can invest heavily in Special Attack. More importantly, it only requires 8 EVs in Speed to outrun all non-scarfed OU mon except Deoxys-S.

It can also provide you with another nifty lure to Heatran with the following set:

Energy Ball | HP Ice | Growth | Earthquake | Leftovers.
248 HP | 196 SpA | 56 SDef | 8 Spe | Calm

The same spread as I suggested above, except Speed EVs are diverted to Special Attack. Venusaur doesn't have to be full-out offensive @ Life Orb to be threatening, since it has Growth and a rich movepool. Even with Calm and Lefties, +2 EQ has no problem dispatching 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran. If SR is up, this Venusaur doesn't even need Growth boosts to OHKO the common offensive DDNite like yours.

I also second Brizznetz's recommended changes to your Ninetales' moveset. Safeguard can really help Volcarona and Dragonite set up, as well as protecting Venusaur from Scald Burns.

I really love seeing effective sun teams, because I have always felt that sun is the "coolest" of weathers.

The only real change I would advocate is a more specially defensive heatran, because it looks like your team has some trouble with powerful special hits, as roserade can only do so much. This difficulty is particularly pronounced in specs-tornadus, because it does ridiculous damage to no investment heatran, and your only real switch in to hurricane is ninetales and hope for a miss, which is never all that reliable. Other then that i dont really see any problems, very cool team.

Ah, I was using a LO max speed/spatk spread, that's why Venusaur was dying quickly, but I'm going to try Pocket's spread =P

Btw, Safeguard and Overheat worked like a charm on Ninetales (Flamethrower couldn't kill some Celebis, while Overheat could), so I'm updating it.

alphatron

After actually watching this team in action, I must say that the toxic spikes work like a charm when it comes to winning the weather war.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)