np: RU Stage 1 - Welcome to the Jungle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well, RU is finally off the ground! The tier has shaken up a bit with the bans of Yanmega and Venomoth, and due to usage stats a significant amount of pokemon are jumping between tiers. Charizard, Sawsbuck, Tangrowth, and Victreebel are now part of RU, while Cresselia, Blastoise, Rhyperior, Golurk, Umbreon, and Stoutland moved up and out of the tier to UU and Gastrodon skipped right up to OU.

The issue of what to do with the suspects is going to be put to the side for now, while you guys adjust to this new metagame. There will not be a suspect test this round, but suspects will still be dealt with in some (yet to be determined fashion), so feel free to point out what you believe to be too good for the metagame.

You might notice that this is now being referred to as a "Stage." In order to keep the metagame sorted out, every post-banning or tier shift due to usage stats will result in RU moving to a new Stage.

I'll try to keep you updated on what will be happening with the suspects, but as of right now, we don't fully know what's going on either. With that said, please keep the focus on metagame discussion. And by discussion, I mean backing up your ideas with sound evidence. If you want to post about how Snover counters every Entei set in existence or how Medicham is an underrated switch into Sableye then that's fine, just make sure you back it up with calcs.

In case it wasn't clear, don't make one sentence posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh cool. Anyways, with the tiers updating, I've been playing with sun recently. Charizard is WAY too strong. For example, Charizard is able to OHKO Entei after rocks with FIRE BLAST so long as the sun is up. Charizard has just enough of a movepool to hit every pokemon he needs to hit.

Munchlax->Focus Blast
Altaria->Dragon Pulse
Bulky Waters->SolarBeam / HP Grass

This is a log from the VERY FIRST BATTLE I had, it's a great representation of what he always does and why he's just too strong for the tier

Battle between yerMOM and Testing Grandpa started!

Tier: Standard RU
Mode: Singles
Variation: +15, -17
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle
Rule: Self-KO Clause

Your team: Uxie / Vileplume / Sawsbuck / Charizard / Honchkrow / Staryu
Opponent's team: Sableye / Sceptile / Porygon-Z / Moltres / Venomoth / Dusknoir

Testing Grandpa sent out Charizard!
yerMOM sent out Sableye!

Start of turn 1
The foe's Sableye used Will-O-Wisp!

Charizard used Overheat!
A critical hit!
The foe's Sableye lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Sableye fainted!
Charizard's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

yerMOM sent out Porygon-Z!

The foe's Porygon-Z's Download activates!
The foe's Porygon-Z's Attack rose!

Start of turn 2
Testing Grandpa called Charizard back!
Testing Grandpa sent out Uxie!

The foe's Porygon-Z used Zap Cannon!
Uxie lost 132 HP! (37% of its health)
Uxie is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Start of turn 3
The foe's Porygon-Z used Zap Cannon!
Uxie lost 125 HP! (35% of its health)

Uxie used Sunny Day!
The sunlight turned harsh!

The sunlight is strong!

Start of turn 4
yerMOM called Porygon-Z back!
yerMOM sent out Dusknoir!

The foe's Dusknoir is exerting its Pressure!
Uxie used U-turn!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Dusknoir lost 6% of its health!
Testing Grandpa called Uxie back!
Testing Grandpa sent out Charizard!

The sunlight is strong!
Charizard lost some HP because of Solar Power!
The foe's Dusknoir restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 5
Charizard used Fire Blast!
The foe's Dusknoir lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Dusknoir fainted!

The sunlight is strong!
yerMOM sent out Porygon-Z!

The foe's Porygon-Z's Download activates!
The foe's Porygon-Z's Attack rose!

Start of turn 6
The foe's Porygon-Z lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Porygon-Z fainted!

The sunlight is strong!
yerMOM sent out Moltres!

The foe's Moltres is exerting its Pressure!

Start of turn 7
The foe's Moltres lost 77% of its health!

The foe's Moltres used Substitute!
The foe's Moltres hasn't enough energy left!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Moltres restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 8
The foe's Moltres lost 28% of its health!
The foe's Moltres fainted!

The sunlight is strong!
yerMOM: charizard is ru?
Testing Grandpa: si
yerMOM sent out Venomoth!

yerMOM: damn
Testing Grandpa: when the tiers updated

Start of turn 9
It's super effective!
The foe's Venomoth lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Venomoth fainted!

The sunlight is strong!
yerMOM sent out Sceptile!

Testing Grandpa: hes so stronth
yerMOM: yeah i noticed

Start of turn 10
Testing Grandpa called Charizard back!
Testing Grandpa sent out Uxie!

The foe's Sceptile used Acrobatics!
The foe's Sceptile's Flight Gem raised Acrobatics's power!
Uxie lost 76 HP! (21% of its health)

The sunlight faded!
Testing Grandpa: lol

Start of turn 11
Uxie lost 21 HP! (5% of its health)
Uxie fainted!

Testing Grandpa sent out Honchkrow!

Start of turn 12
The foe's Sceptile used Leaf Blade!
Honchkrow lost 92 HP! (26% of its health)

Honchkrow used Substitute!
Honchkrow made a substitute!

Start of turn 13
Honchkrow's substitute faded!

Honchkrow used Brave Bird!
It's super effective!

That log is just one example of his raw power and how he shouldn't be in this tier.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lol that's funny. It seems like Charizard wasn't even packing Life Orb to be devastating. Unless Druddigon and NFE Dragons are common, you may prefer HP Rock > Dragon Pulse so you can hit the more common Fire Types without worrying about misses. It's also SE against Mantine, if it ever increases in usage.

The bugs are banned, a lot of good Pokemon have left to UU. Ru is about to be shaken up. I'm looking forward to this, sun teams should be pretty powerful this stage with all the new abusers and priority sunny days. I'll have to try a team at some point.
The next Pokemon I imagine will need to have a watchful eye over them will be Honch, Porygon-Z and Gallade. But that's just my opinion.

Your opponent tried to Will-O-Wisp a Charizard. Your argument is invalid.

Anyways, this looks to be an amazing tier, and with The Bug Types gone, the tier is far more balanced. I did a little dance (after a double take) when I saw "np:..." in the RU subforum.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dragon Pulse is illegal with Solar Power, for the record.

Losing Yanmega and Venomoth hurts my hyper offense team a bit, but I can replace one of them with Magic Guard Alakazam, and a lot of the strongest walls are gone as well. I'll have to watch out for Sun teams though.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm even more excited for Trick Room now since that stupid Cresselia can't wall Marowak anymore. Basically, the number of annoying stuff has risen into UU while nothing annoying except Tangrowth has dropped. Rhyperior gone means you don't have to worry it about "outspeeding" the faster stuff!! And the sheer power of Yanmega is gone, so the trick room users can invest a little more in offensive capability. Woo. also, music?

Just a thought, but wouldn't making a list of pokemon currently in RU in the OP be handy to see what can be discussed and what can't?

On topic: Ah! No more worrying about a dragonfly raping teams with ease anymore.
With many changes in the tier, I can't wait to see what people come up with to ladder.
That said, I should probably dive into the team builder and find things out for myself.
Also at that log, what tomtom said. Really? Attempting to burn a Fire-type with WoW?
No lack of inexperienced players it seems...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Damn it! All of these drop downs troll my favorite pokemon... Charizard and Typhlosion in the same tier? Its going to be hard to justify using Typhlosion over Charizard and his Solar power goodness. Seriously the set that dominated UU still dominates RU too. (even moreso since there aren't any dedicated special walls that can take him on!) Sawsbucks is flat out better than Leafeon in most cases (i though I'll still end up using Leafeon more because its cooler) Tangrowth dropping into RU is pretty neat, he'll be a top tier physical wall.

Super glad to see Yanmega and Venomoth get banned, but what tier will they end up in? BL2?

Edit: Thanks Oglemi.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Well there's goes my universal wall. R.I.P. Cresselia. In better news goodbye Yanmega and Venomoth! Definitely balances out the tier a little bit. And we'll probably see an increase in Tangrowth to compensate for Cress's departure.

I forsee a spike in useage of the various Fire and Grass-types who dropped down, and thus, FWG cores.

Victreebel is pretty awesome even without the Sun, as is Sawsbuck, and Typholosion and Charizard can both demolish things, with Eruption and a brilliant movepool, respectivly.

Seriously, Sun or no Sun, Charizard is a beast. On one hand, you have a Charizard that can set up, and be a potent physical attacker, and use Roost, and on the other hand, you have Charizards with insane Special attacking power.

Hmm, it'll be fun to see how this stage plays out. I think that because of all the hype about the various sun abusers (I'm looking at Charizard, Sawsbuck, Victreebell mainly. Hell, even Tangrowth) dropping down to RU it'll be a round plagued with sun teams. Also can't forget about how potent both rain and hail teams can be in RU already. Another weather dominated tier perhaps? Heh.

In agreement with everyone else about Yanmega and Venomoth, it's definitely good news to see those two gone. Fucking monsters.

Also with arguably the tier's best user of rapid spin moving up to UU and plenty of mons with access to setting up entry hazards, as well as Prankster Sableye being out now, it will be interesting to see what people come up with counteract spike-based teams.

@ Foxy Grandpa

It's not overpowered for RU.. Sure base 100 is great in RU, but it still gets outsped by pokes like archeops, Sharpedo and alakazam, killed by strong priority users like hitmonlee, druddigon and Honchcrow and walled by Mantine and Munchlax. Especially with Alakazam and Honchcrow being as common as they are now, I would say it's not broken.

Alright as some of you might know I started playing RU when it was first released but I really just fucking hated the metagame... with all these mix-ups I think I can give it another shot! Alakazam in this tier is just insanity, I was getting ready to use him in OU so this is really awesome. Also <3 at Omastar staying and all my other favorite sweepers (Tauros, Krookodile etc.) Hopefully it will be less of a shitfest this round!

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have to say I'm disappointed with the two bans, they weren't that difficult to accomodate in teambuilding or anything else in my opnion. On another topic, shitmotherfucking UU players stealing my Golurk 9.9 Damn it, that completely destroys my team.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On another topic, shitmotherfucking UU players stealing my Golurk 9.9 Damn it, that completely destroys my team.
Yeah, same thing with Umbreon and Blastoise (though mostly Umbreon). Between that an the Moth ban half my team is gone, any there are no replacements that make 2 of the others worth carrying still.

At least I still have my Braivary. Speaking of which, people need to use more Braviary. Scarf Braviary is like my star. He might not have the power to break walls like Steelix, but it can outspeed most unboosted threats, and some boosted ones (it beats out +2 Spe Modest Omastar, for example) and has enough power and coverage to wreck most offensive Pokemon. Come on people, give Braviary some love.

Have the tiers officially been updated on the PO server? If so, RU has lost its biggest nuisance to the Almighty Entei - but they nicked Yanmega, how dare they. Gastrodon isn't even good in RU, it's OU now? Mad.

So anyway, is this enforced?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Have to say I'm disappointed with the two bans, they weren't that difficult to accomodate in teambuilding or anything else in my opnion. On another topic, shitmotherfucking UU players stealing my Golurk 9.9 Damn it, that completely destroys my team.
>Someone else pretending they liked Golurk more than I did

>RageFace.jpg

Anyway, on first impressions Sunny Day appears to be a fucknugget of too much power, Sableye can be a pain, and yeah, sun is broken

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Already have to say, sun is pretty not cool. Yanmega and Venomoth have just been replaced by more fucking insanely speedy boosters and mindless sleep powder spamming. So essentially we're back to where we started, possibly even worse.

I just started messing with RU. I have to say I like it better than OU. Articuno is a very nice staller, given the right conditions. I uses Drapion to start, setting up a toxic spikes, then usually Sableye, to mess with the opponent even, especially when i use taunt. Will o Wisp is on it too, for the steel, poison and flying/levitating pokemon uneffected by the spikes. Both Drapion and Articuno can make them switch with whirlwind/roar, so I can keep blowing them away and poison their whole team. I have Samurott for extra coverage, a Trick Gardevior if its needed, and an Absol, cuz its just plain cool. Plus its sword dance/sucker punch is nice, though absol is very fragile...

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Will the ladder end up being reset or will we just go with what we have now? From the discussions I've had with people, most find Sun to be disgustingly powerful and broken, so a shorter testing period may be addvantageous.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Did anyone give Rain Dance teams a try? Volt Switch Lanturn with Damp Rock allows people to easily gain momentum. Probopass can both trap Ferroseed (if you use Taunt on the Leech Seed, Gyro Ball won't be enough to kill you, as you see it running out of PP), lay Stealth Rock down (and has acess to Volt Switch like Lanturn as well!), as well as checking threatning stuff like Porygon-Z. Then the scary part comes: You have Seismitoad, Ludicolo, Poliwrath, Floatzel, Kabutops, Qwilfish and Omastar to abuse Swift Swim, and even stuff like Raichu, Manectric and Rotom-C to come and spam Thunder until they die. The only immediate threat I see is Munchlax, with its mammoth SpD and Rest + Sleep Talk. It seems scary in theory...

With the removal of the most common fighting resists (Cress, Veno, Mega, Golurk) ScarfCham has hit a new level altogether. I don't even need a dedicated Pursuiter and it's kind of difficult for anyone to fend him off for too long.

EDIT: PS Sun is unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)