Haunter [GP 2/2]

dedicated to the beloved Italian dictator of the RMT forum

[Overview]

<p>Haunter is a Pokemon of extremes. Not only is he the fastest Ghost-type available in the RU tier, he's also the most powerful, sporting a very impressive base 115 Special Attack. Unfortunately, the grinning ghoul is also the frailest Pokemon in the tier, and will fold to just about any attack that he isn't immune to. However, Haunter's frailty is somewhat mitigated by his excellent typing, which gives him three immunities, to Normal-, Fighting-, and Ground-type moves, as well as quadruple resistances to both Bug- and Poison-type attacks. Haunter also sports a diverse movepool, from a wide variety of special attacks to all the nasty support moves you'd expect from such a malevolent-looking Ghost-type. Underestimate Haunter at your own peril, for he has many tricks up his non-existent sleeves.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Pain Split
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Haunter is the very definition of a "gas cannon" (excuse the pun). Despite his total lack of bulk, due to the lack of heavy-duty special walls in the RU metagame, Haunter is able to find ample opportunities to cause some mischief. Because Haunter forces many switches, especially against physical walls such as Tangrowth, Substitute is an excellent move to scout for the opponent's check to Haunter. Not only does it protect Haunter from crippling status moves such as Thunder Wave, it allows Haunter to fire off his powerful STAB attacks from behind a safety net, and it allows Haunter to flee unscathed if your opponent decides to bring out a Pursuit user. Shadow Ball is a consistent and powerful STAB move that can nab 2HKOs on some of the RU tier's bulkiest walls, including Pokemon such as Slowking and Claydol; Dusknoir too is very likely OHKOed with Stealth Rock support. Sludge Bomb is Haunter's most powerful attack, and hits the vast number of Grass-types in the tier for super effective damage. Finally, Hidden Power Ground lets Haunter hit the Pokemon that resist his STAB combination, notably Steel-types and Drapion, for super effective damage. Alternatively, Pain Split can be used to allow Haunter to drain HP from opponents while at the same time recovering the health he will inevitably lose to Life Orb recoil and Substitute.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As with any special sweeper, especially one that can't boost his stats, Haunter appreciates entry hazard support. Moreover, courtesy of his Ghost typing, Haunter has the rare ability to prevent these vital hazards from being spun away. If you choose to forgo Hidden Power Ground in favor of Pain Split, Haunter will be walled by the aforementioned Steel-types and Drapion. Therefore, Dugtrio is an excellent teammate for Haunter because of his ability to strike down these Pokemon with his STAB Earthquake. Magneton can also be used to trap Steel-types, and fares better than Dugtrio against Pokemon such as Ferroseed. Because of Haunter's vulnerability to Pursuit, he should only be brought out once you're certain that any opposing Pokemon that might be running Pursuit has fainted. Team Preview goes a long way in aiding Haunter in this regard.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Haunter has an excellent special movepool. He can effectively strike down Water-types with either Thunderbolt or Giga Drain; both have their advantages: Thunderbolt hits considerably harder, but Giga Drain allows Haunter to replenish health. Icy Wind can slow down incoming revenge killers on the switch, allowing Haunter to outspeed and KO on the following turn, but its low Base Power is off-putting. Haunter can also run many different types of Hidden Power. Hidden Power Fighting provides perfect coverage with his STAB Ghost-type moves, but forces Haunter to lower his Speed IV, meaning that Haunter will lose Speed ties against other positive base 95 Pokemon such as Uxie. Hidden Power Fire hits Ferroseed harder than any of Haunter's other moves, but it's only really useful for Ferroseed. Haunter also possesses an excellent support movepool which includes many nasty status moves such as Hypnosis, Will-O-Wisp, and Thunder Wave. Disable can also be used in conjunction with Substitute to wall Pokemon that only have one attack capable of hitting Haunter. Haunter can also use Choice Specs and Choice Scarf to decent effect, especially when coupled with Trick. However, he generally prefers the ability to switch moves, since the HP loss from Life Orb is almost irrelevant on a Pokemon as frail as Haunter.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Haunter is mortally afraid of Krookodile. The cruel croc not only resists Haunter's STAB moves, but can switch in and proceed to KO Haunter with Pursuit, regardless of whether or not Haunter decides to stay in. Steel-types that take neutral damage from Hidden Power Ground, such as Ferroseed, can set up on Haunter or deal heavy damage with Gyro Ball. Drapion has the defenses to survive Hidden Power Ground and can OHKO Haunter with its STAB Dark-type moves. Above all, Haunter is prone to being revenge killed by anything faster, since his defenses are so frail that any neutral attack will usually suffice to take him out.</p>

Why is the painsplit set bulkie? IMO it should be a simple 252spa / 4spd / 252spe with life orb as the main item(you can keep leftovers if you want).

edit:sorry if i'm not to post here yet.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is the painsplit set bulkie? IMO it should be a simple 252spa / 4spd / 252spe with life orb as the main item(you can keep leftovers if you want).

edit:sorry if i'm not to post here yet.
I agree with this, why would the frailest ghost in ru have a bulky spread? Btw have you thought of a subdisable set? It works well for big brother gengar in ou, and electric/ghost gets pretty good coverage if you dont want to run hp fighting.

lol i'm sorry, i copied this from my moltres thread, guess i forgot to change the evs :p. Yeah, you're absolutely right, it's meant to have a normal offensive spread. I'll change it when i come back from school

Why is Thunderbolt there? Things that resist Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb: Steelix, Magneton, Aggron, Ferroseed etc

Why are you using an attack that doesn't even phaze 3 of them. Should be either Hidden Power Ground (doesn't deal with Ferroseed) or Hidden Power Fighting/Fire (losing a Speed IV sucks). Either way Thunderbolt sucks the big one.

Idk why you don't just slash Pain Split onto that last moveslot and make it look like this:

Substitute
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Hidden Power Ground / Pain Split

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You could make a mention of Sludge Wave, which Gastly gets through the dream world as a slightly stronger alternative to Sludge Bomb, however it's illegal with Pain Split.

If you seriously go with bulky spread on SubSplit set, I think Will-O-Wisp instead of others options is necessity. For first Haunter is great bait to Pursuit users like Munchlax, Drapion, Honchkrow and few others and with Substitute you can afford to miss once, as you normally outspeed all of them unless [except Drapion, it's tie at best] they go with Scarf sets (and with Substitute up you will easily know when they attack you, while outspeeding you) and I think with Max HP you should be able to survive one Pursuit without switching out if you mispredict. I think I would go with:

[SET]
name: SubSplit
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
item: Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / Rest in Spe

Unlike other ghosts in this tier, you still hit for solid damage even without investment. Also 248 HP + 112 Def allows you to survive 100% of time Positive Natured Scarf Pursuit from Honchkrow with SR up and without WoW in case you can't put Substitute up (Althought I don't think Honchkrow can afford neutral speed nature on Scarf set, but just to be safe). I think you can slash Taunt somewhere, but Haunter here have serious moveslot syndrome, so I think you can't do it anyway. If you go with 2 attacks + SubSplit, then Max SpA/Max Spe is superior IMO. That's all.

OK, i updated the OP. I'm completely against any kind of bulky set, since it's 100% outclassed by stuff like Cofagrigus, Dusknoir and Rotom. SubDisable is fine in OU, but Haunter doesn't get Focus Blast, which Gengar relies on. HP Fighting and lack of Life Orb (i believe SubDisable has Leftovers) is simply too weak.

OK, i updated the OP. I'm completely against any kind of bulky set, since it's 100% outclassed by stuff like Cofagrigus, Dusknoir and Rotom. SubDisable is fine in OU, but Haunter doesn't get Focus Blast, which Gengar relies on. HP Fighting and lack of Life Orb (i believe SubDisable has Leftovers) is simply too weak.
Well... previously you used BULKY EVs spread on SubSplit set and you didn't even explain why you picked those EVs instead of others, as honestly I was surprised with your previous EVs choice. I only gave the idea how would I put EVs on bulky Haunter (as you cosidered those as an option before), but I still think that going 2 attacks + Subsplit with Max SpA/Max Spe is better thing to do. Also IMO that WoW is something more then Other Options, as Haunter is incredible bait to Pursuit users, and with Substitute up if they are slower he gets one more chance to use it, so accuracy is not a serious issue. But that's me.

EDIT: Ahhh... that explain all. Don't mind this post then. Sry for this.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
yeah the main set should look like this:

[SET]
name: Substitute + 3 Attacks
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

What's wrong with Subnosis? Decent speed and Substitute give you two chances to land the move most of the time, and it's basically an 84% chance of a free Haunter counter down and a free sub for the next switch in.

dedicated to the beloved Italian dictator of the RMT forum

HAUNTER

[Overview]

<p>Haunter is a Pokemon of extremes. Not only is he the fastest Ghost-type available in the RU tier; he's also the most powerful, sporting a very impressive base 115 Special Attack. Unfortunately, the grinning ghoul is also the frailest Pokemon in the tier, and will fold to any attack that isn't resisted. However, Haunter's frailty is somewhat compromised by the fact that he has three excellent immunities to Normal-, Fighting- and Ground-type moves, as well as quadruple resistances to Bug- and Poison- type moves. Haunter also sports a diverse movepool, from interesting special attacks to all the nasty [delete moves] status moves you'd expect from a Ghost-type. Underestimate Haunter at your own peril, for he has many tricks up his non-existent sleeves.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Haunter is the very definition of a "gas cannon" (excuse the pun). Due to the lack of heavy-duty special walls in the RU metagame, Haunter is able to find ample opportunities to shine. Because Haunter forces many switches, especially against physical walls like Tangrowth, Substitute is an excellent move to scout for the opponent's check to Haunter. Not only does it [delete prevent] [add protect] Haunter from crippling status moves such as Thunder Wave, it allows Haunter to fire off his powerful STAB attacks from behind a safety net, and it allows Haunter to flee unscathed if your opponent decides to bring out a Pursuit user. Shadow Ball is a consistent and powerful STAB move that can hit some of RU's bulkiest special walls for 2HKOs, including Pokemon such as Slowking and Claydol. Dusknoir has a very high chance of being OHKOd with Stealth Rock support. Sludge Bomb is Haunter's most powerful attack, and hits the vast amount of Grass-types in the tier for super effective damage. Finally, Hidden Power Ground lets Haunter hit the Pokemon that resist his STAB combination, notably Steel-types and Drapion, for super effective damage. Alternatively, Pain Split can be used to allow Haunter to drain HP from opponents while at the same time recovering the health he will inevitably lose to Life Orb and Substitute recoil.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As with any special sweeper, especially one that can't boost his stats, Haunter appreciates entry hazard support. However, Haunter is unique due to the fact that he can prevent those vital hazards from being spun away, courtesy of his Ghost-typing. If you choose to forgo Hidden Power Ground in favor of Pain Split, Haunter will be walled by the afore[delete hyphen]-mentioned Steel-types and Drapion. Therefore, Dugtrio can be an excellent teammate for Haunter because of his ability to strike down these Pokemon with his STAB Earthquake. Magneton can also be used to trap Steel-types, and fares better than Dugtrio against Pokemon like Ferroseed. Because of Haunters vulnerability to Pursuit, he should only be brought out once you're certain that any Pokemon your opponent may have equipped with Pursuit has fainted. Team Preview goes a long way in aiding Haunter in this respect.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Haunter has an excellent special movepool. He can effectively strike down Water-types with either Thunderbolt or Giga Drain. Both have their advantages: Thunderbolt hits considerably harder, but Giga Drain allows Haunter to replenish health. Icy Wind can slow down incoming revenge killers on the switch, allowing Haunter to outspeed and KO on the following turn, but its low base power is off-putting. Haunter can also run many different types of Hidden Power. Hidden Power Fighting provides perfect coverage with his STAB Ghost-type moves, but forces Haunter to lower his Speed IV, meaning that Haunter will lose out on Speed ties with other positive base 95s. Hidden Power Fire hits Ferroseed harder than any of Haunters other moves, but it's only really useful for Ferroseed. Haunter also has an excellent support movepool, having access to many nasty status moves, including Hypnosis, Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave. Disable can also be used with Substitute to wall Pokemon that only have one attack that's capable of hitting Haunter. Haunter can also use Choice Specs and Choice Scarf to decent effect, especially when coupled with Trick. However, he generally prefers the ability to switch moves, since the HP loss from Life Orb is almost irrelevant on a Pokemon as frail as Haunter. Lastly, Haunter can use Eviolite to buffer his defenses a little, but it doesn't make much of a difference and Haunter loses out on some much needed power.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>Haunter is mortally afraid of Krookodile. The cruel croc not only resists Haunters STAB moves, but can come in and proceed to KO Haunter with Pursuit, regardless of whether or not Haunter decides to stay in. Steel-types that are neutral to Hidden Power Ground, such as Ferroseed, can set up on Haunter or deal heavy damage with Gyro Ball. Drapion has the defenses to survive Hidden Power Ground can can KO Haunter with its STAB Dark-type moves. Above all, Haunter is prone to being revenge killed by anything faster than him[delete colon :] [add as] his defenses are so frail that any non-resisted move will usually suffice to take him out.</p>
changes in bold

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)