Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1v1 Training Battle
1 Day DQ (2 for Ref)
2 Recoveries/5 chills
Only send 1 pokemon to ref (If more than one is sent, the first on the list is automatically sent out)
Arena:

Arena: Opaline City Gym
Field Type: Flying
Complexity: Moderate
Format: All
Restriction: Sun and Rain only
Welcome to Opaline City, the capital of technology and luxury in the ASB region! Known as the city of luxury, Opaline is an extremely popular tourist destination and houses a plethora of recreational activities. The most of famous of these are wind-surfing and skydiving, whose popularity spurred the construction of several vertical wind tunnels throughout the metropolis. Thus, it makes sense that the city's gym utilize this technology.
Combatants battle in a large, upright steel tunnel. The uppermost end of the tunnel is open, allowing a generous amount of sunlight to brighten the construct's interior. All around the tunnel's sides, are large fans and A/C units; the largest of the fans is actually underneath the heavy-duty grating that serves as the floor. All except the large underground fan are constantly blowing, keeping the air at at a warm temperature and blowing around smaller Pokemon. At a designated point in time, the underground fan will begin to blow, forcing the battlers into a state of free-fall. Needless to say, this change severely hinders Pokemon not used to moving in the air.

Arena Effects:

-The constantly blowing winds and warm air make Sandstorms and Hail impossible to maintain or summon. Sun and Rain can still be called, though.

-The multitude of A/C and fan units make lowering the temperature of the arena difficult, Ice attacks' BAP are lowered by 2. Fire attacks are unaffected.

-The wind from the side fans affects the coordination of light, grounded Pokemon. Terrestrial Pokemon WC <2 have Accuracy and Evasion lowered by a flat 10%.

-Every 3 rounds, the the large underground fan will begin to blow, forcing all Pokemon into the air. During this time, any terrestrial Pokemon will suffer a flat 10% loss of Accuracy and Evasion and their Evasive Actions will all fail.
In addition, all Pokemon are treated as if they are under the effects of Levitate. These effects lasts for 2 rounds. Afterwards, the arena will return to normal for another 3 rounds.

-Aquatic/Amphibeous Pokemon only have a 5% decrease to Accuracy and Evasion and their Evasive Actions will be half as successful. This is due to the similarity between moving in air in water.

Terrestrial= Non-Flying Pokemon without the Levitate trait, Levitate command that cannot use Fly.
Evasive Actions= Dodges, Agility used evasively, Bodyblock and Detect
Aquatic/Amphibeous= Water Pokemon, Pokemon with Swift Swim,Pokemon that can use Surf and anything that has flavor text that indicates its proficiency swimming. The Toxicroak line and Eelektross line are also included for obvious reasons.

Switch=lawl
Items=off
Abilities=one
It looks like two ASB members are at it again -- one pair seeming more at home in this warm place, and bringing with them the appropriate Pokémon. The two siblings throw out their Pokéball to release a lovely Wingull!

Wingull- Taikai (M)
Nature: Modest (SpA increased by 1, Atk decreased by 1)
Type: Water/Flying
Water: Water STAB; Can breathe and have excellent mobility when underwater, are less capable on land unless they are entirely amphibious.
Flying: Flying STAB; immunity to Ground attacks except under the effects of Smack Down and Gravity, even for ground-based flying Pokemon. Will always hit foes with Dig (except other Flying types) and Dive. Cannot be hit by Dive unless the attacking Pokemon has a size class greater than four (4). Immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Enhanced aerial mobility. Superior senses in open air arenas.

Abilities:
Keen Eye: (Innate) This Pokemon has extremely good vision and cannot have its accuracy lowered by an opponent through any means (including accuracy lowering attacks, Smogs, Hazes, Fog, etc.). Its attacks are still affected by an opponent’s evasion and the Pokemon's own accuracy.
Rain Dish (DW): (Innate) This Pokemon collects water in the rain and absorbs it into its body, healing two (2) HP/action.

Stats:

Hp: 90
Atk(-): 1
Def: 2
SpA(+): 3
SpD: 2
Spe: 85
SC: 1
WC: 1
BRT: 13

EC: 0/6
MC: 0
DC: 0/5

Attacks:
Growl
Water Gun
Supersonic
Wing Attack
Mist
Water Pulse
Quick Attack

Agility
Brine
Aqua Ring

Ice Beam
Scald
Toxic

Total Moves: 13

Maxim seems equally ready, however, and from his own Pokéball rolls out a Happiny!

Happiny [Protea] (F)
Nature: Modest (Special Attack increased by *, Attack decreased by *)

Type:
Normal:
Normal STAB; adapt comfortably to any surrounding after 3 actions. Able to use Outrage without losing focus.

Abilities:
Natural Cure:
(Innate) This Pokemon’s body has the ability to heal itself of status afflictions over time, it goes into effect six (6) actions after being inflicted with a status. In switch battles, this Pokemon heals all status effects when switched out.
Serene Grace: (Innate) This Pokemon has a blessing which doubles the success chance of its attack’s secondary effects. (eg paralysis from Thunderbolt)
Friend Guard (DW): (Innate) The Pokemon's body emits an aura of joy that reduces the Base Attack Power of all opponents' attacks in multiple battles by two (2).

Stats:

HP: 110
Atk: Rank 0 (-)
Def: Rank 1
SpA: Rank 2 (+)
SpD: Rank 3
Spe: 30
Size Class: 1
Weight Class: 2
Base Rank Total: 11

EC:0/9
MC:0
DC: 0/5

Attacks (11):
Pound
Charm
Copycat
Refresh
Sweet Kiss

Aromatherapy
Counter
Endure

Protect
Toxic
Flamethrower

Surely this will be an incredible battle!

Temp specifies ability [You only have Keen Eye anyway so you don't really need to bother.]
Maxim specifies ability and orders
Temp orders
I procrastinate
I ref.

I made my way through the hall into the gym arena. Opaline City was a glamorus place, and the twins had made this place equally fancy. I knew what I came for though, and sent out one of my newest additions, Happiny.

Let's go with Serene Grace

Let's start with a nice Toxic, then move on to Sweet Kiss, then Pound... -_-

Toxic~Sweet Kiss~Pound
If Toxic is unsuccessful, use it until it works and push actions back

Being Taikai's trainer, Laharl decides to face his opponent alone, leaving Lenneth to observe the battle from the fan control booth.

"You seem accustomed to stalling tactics, so I see no reason to oblige you in that. Scald your opponent, Taikai! Then, while that egg tries to waddle itself to your Position and kiss you, Agility away. Finish by spraying more Scalding water at your foe. If we're lucky, we will put our foe on a timer, too!"

Alchemator

Welcome to Opaline Gym, a fictitious city with a fictitious Flying-themed gym and a fictitious battle -- however, its intensity sure isn't fictitious! Let's take a look at the combatants.

Temperantia's Taikai [Wingull]

HP: 90
Energy: 100
Other: N/A
Actions: Scald ~ Evasive Agility ~ Scald

Maxim's Protea [Happiny]

HP: 110
Energy: 100
Actions: Toxic ~ Sweet Kiss ~ Pound

And so the battle begins! Being the much speedier of the two, Taikai begins the fighting, loosing Scalding water at his opponent [11 DMG, -5 EN]. He certainly doesn't seem to be disadvantaged by having only one trainer, as that boiling water burns Protea straight away! Could this have swung the battle by only the first action? Protea shakes off the pain, however, and fires a glob of Toxic material at her foe, which strikes true, badly poisoning poor Taikai [-7 EN]! [Taikai: -1 HP / Protea: -2 HP]

Breaking into a bit of Shakespeare, Juliet Protea cries out "
O churl! drunk all, and left no friendly drop to help me after?" and proceeds to try and Sweet Kiss Romeo Taikai [-4 EN]. The Wingull, however, doesn't want these lovers to be star-crossed at all, as he dodges niftily with Agility [-7 EN]. [Taikai: -1 HP / Protea: -2 HP]

To conclude this magnificent scene, Taikai once again Scalds his opponent
[11 DMG, -5 EN]. Protea feels that she has been rejected long enough, and finally gets on the offensive with a decisive Pound across Taikai's cheek. The burn has neutered most of that damage, however... [1 DMG, -1 EN] [Taikai: -1 HP / Protea: -2 HP]

So at the end of that round in fair Verona Opaline, where we lay our scene, what are the scores?

HP: 86
Energy: 83
Other: Toxic [2 DPA next round]

Maxim's Protea [Happiny]

HP: 82
Energy: 88
Other: Burned

It appears that Taikai has overcome the initial HP disadvantage and nudged into the lead. Can Laharl [Temperantia] keep it up?

"Oh please, cease the dramatics. This player tires of such over-used allusions. Allow me to write my own story.
Taikai, summon a Water Pulse to rattle around that putrid egg's head. Then, Scald our foe again. Let us finish with another Water Pulse.
Ahh, the best part about this assault is the myriad of secondary effects. Let's see if fortune's favor can keep our foe on his toes as he tries to heal off his status!"

Well, what you don't seem to realize is that I have a few status healing tricks.

Flamethrower (hope for a burn)~Refresh~Pound
If Refresh is unsuccessful, use Refresh again A3

Alchemator

The battle continues!

HP: 86
Energy: 83
Other: Toxic [2 DPA next round]
Actions: Water Pulse ~ Scald ~ Water Pulse

Maxim's Protea [Happiny]

HP: 82
Energy: 88
Other: Burned
Actions: Flamethrower ~ Refresh ~ Pound

Using the momentum from the previous round, Taikai wheels around in an arc and fires off a ringed Water Pulse at poor Protea, who is knocked over backwards by the attack. Fortunately, however, she is left without confusion [9 DMG, -3 EN]. The Happiny gets up just in time to hope for some secondary effects of her own, letting loose a Flamethrower. It seems that Protea's wish has come true, in fact, as Taikai is inflicted with a burn [7 DMG, -7 EN].
[Taikai: -2 HP, -2 HP / Protea: -2 HP]

Angered by the burn (and by a damage score greater than 1), Taikai swoops in and drops Scalding water on his opponent again, causing Protea to shriek in pain [11 DMG, -5 EN]. She manages to compose and Refresh herself, however, ridding herself of that nasty burn [-7 EN]. [Taikai: -2 HP, -2 HP]

Taikai does not feel the same relief, and continues to enact his revenge with another Water Pulse [9 DMG, -3 EN]. Protea decides to get back on the offense with a Pound, which -- notably without the burn -- actually scores some half-decent damage [4 DMG, -1 EN]! [Taikai: -2 HP, -2 HP]

After a round of tantrums and mid-battle yoga routines, how are both combatants looking?

HP: 63
Energy: 72
Other: Toxic [3 DPA next round], Burned.

Maxim's Protea [Happiny]

HP: 51

Taikai is gaining a greater lead over his opponent, but that residual damage is certainly beginning to add up! Laharl nods solemnly to her brother, who begins to flick switches and turn dials -- it looks like the fans will be going into operation soon!

Maxim, can you save your pink blob?

"And now... the fun really begins! Spray some Brine at our foe, that salt won't be too pleasant for our rotund foe. Then, fire off another Scalding blast at Happiny and finish with more Brine."

Alchemator

The fans begin to blow, and now the gimmick of Opaline gym is wide-open for everyone to see! Protea bobs up into the air, somewhat out of her comfort zone. Will this change the tide of the battle? Let's see how our contestants are doing before the round.

HP: 63
Other: Toxic [3 DPA next round], Burned.
Actions: Brine ~ Scald ~ Brine

Maxim's Protea [Happiny]

HP: 51
Actions: Pound ~ Flamethrower ~ Pound

Taikai speeds into action again, greeting her now-airborne opponent with some nasty, salty water -- that could only have been a Brine attack, now with extra power due to Protea's health [16 DMG, -7 EN]. Protea is in for a penny, in for a Pound with her attack [roll d10: 3 (hit)], but it doesn't do much [4 DMG, -1 EN]...
[Taikai: -3 HP, -2 HP]

After letting loose some salty water, Taikai now decides to up the temperature of her attacks, in accordance with the rising temperatures of the battlefield -- it's another Scalding display [11 DMG, -5 EN]! Protea replies furiously with her best attempt at damage: a Flamethrower. She simply can't keep up with the barrage of damage, however [7 DMG, -7 EN]. [Taikai: -3 HP, -2 HP]

Finally comes a repeat of the first action, with both combatants releasing their original attacks. Taikai seems intent on wrapping this battle up quickly, as his Brine attack even scores a critical hit on his opponent [19 DMG, -7 EN]. Protea is not so lucky, however, as her Pound lands but minor damage again [4 DMG, -1 EN].

The gap is beginning to widen as the fans continue to rotate!

HP: 35
Energy: 53
Other: Toxic [4 DPA next round], Burned.

Maxim's Protea [Happiny]

HP: 7
Energy: 63

Is there anything Maxim can do, or will Laharl [Temperantia] seal the deal?

"Let us congratulate our foe for playing, Taikai! Scald her, then spray her with more Brine and finish with another Scalding jet."

Alchemator

It's a nail-biting finish!

HP: 35
Energy: 53
Actions: Scald ~ Brine ~ Scald

Maxim's Protea [Happiny]

HP: 7

Actions: Copycat ~ Pound + Pound combo ~ Cool / Pound

Taikai finishes Protea off with a Scald [11 DMG, -5 EN].

HP: 29
Energy: 48

Maxim's Protea [Happiny]

HP: KO

To the victor, the spoils! Oh, and the loser too.

Temp: 2 TC
Taikai: 1 EC, 2 MC, 1 DC, 1 KOC

Maxim: 2 TC
Protea: 1 EC, 2 MC, 1 DC

Oh and for some other guy...

Alchemator: 2 RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)