BW OU Volt Turning My Way To The Top! [Infamous Team Peaked at #1]

Before I start I hated the fact that this team was copied ridiculously on the ladder by "0teambuildingskill_ladderscrub<random numbers>" and im only just posting it now as its retired with the banning of Excadrill. People also wanted to see it apparently (PK Gaming told me to post it aswell as a few other people) so here you go. This team is my infamous Volt Turn team and was at its height throughout the very last suspect test round that was to be voted on by the masses. Its probably one of if not the best team ive ever built as shown by it being #1 for like 3 weeks until i stopped caring. Its basically perfectly abusive of two of the most broken moves in the metagame; Volt Switch and U-Turn. Alone they suck but when these moves are chained together repeatedly when you keep getting switch advantages on your opponent they wear down counters and open up massive holes into teams (especially with SR up) whilst keeping momentum at the same time which destroys stall, balance, offence etc alike. Alot of you will probably remember this for the unorthodox way i play it. Either way no matter how many copies you've seen of this team i was the person who took the ball and ran with it farther than anyone else because i can/could play it better than anyone else as im its creator.

Team Building Process

Step 1.

I started with Rotom-W and Scizor as they beat each others counters with U-Turn and Volt Switch which wear them down respectively. They also have good synergy together and resist each others main weaks.

Step 2.

I then added Hydreigon as it amazing. Its better than Latios as it isnt Pursuit bait and also gets Fire Blast and U-Turn to beat Blissey and wear it down in conjunction with Scizor. Once Blissey is at 50% health Specs Hydreigon can absolutely clean house on stall. It was at this point i decided id abuse scouting moves to open up holes in teams.

Step 3.

Next i added Landorus to the mix as it is an awesome U-Turner, its sheer power FORCES switches, which benefits my team this far for obvious reasons. However it needs something to function correctly and that something is....

Step 4.

The sand of course! Landorus needs it to function to its fullest potential. Tyranitar was added as it also changes the weather for me protecting me from other weather. He also sets up Stealth Rock.

Step 5.

Last but no means least i added Excadrill because i thought. "If they get hazards up im just wearing myself down with spamming scouting moves". Plus he also benefits from the sand Tyranitar sets up. The team above was good but kept losing to bulk up Conkeldurr and i needed a check to it that could U-Turn preferably.

Step 6.

Much to my dismay Hydreigon was the most replaceable mon so Celebi came in here to check Conkeldurr whilst maintaining checking Rotom-W and other things that Hydreigon did. Celebi can U-Turn nicely though and performs much the same role as Hydreigon. However i do miss Hydreigon cos it was awesome. =/

Team Overview

Team in Depth

@

Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SAtk / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

This is basically standard Sp.Def Tyranitar but with a difference. Stone Edge is way better than Crunch and Pursuit especially (CM Lati@s sets up on Pursuit lol..)imo. Firstly it makes Tyranitar an excellent check for the very broken Volcarona. Stone Edge also actually hits Heatran. Stone Edge also throws alot of people off my tail and dont expect me to be Mixed once i show it so often get free kills. Ice Beam and Fire Blast are a standard fare next, Ice Beam hopefully lures in things like Gliscor and Hippowdon which obviously makes sweeping with Excadrill at the end of games alot easier, it also makes Tyranitar a 100% counter for Roost DD Nite (no one uses EQ anymore plus I can live those anyway). Fire Blast snags annoying steel types like Skarmory which is important to eliminate for the same reason as above. I usually lead with this as Excadrill and Landorus are rather important to the team so having an early advantage is awesome, that and an early Stealth Rock never hurts. Stealth Rock is kind of important to the team but not vital, it helps wear down checks and counters monstrously fast when U-Turn and Volt Switch are spammed.

@

Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Ah Scizor, whilst you were insanely overated last gen, this gen i feel its actually the opposite, well when people dont kill your awesome potential with that horrific Sp.Def Roost set which is so inferior to CB Scizor its unreal. STAB U-Turn coming from 591 Attack hurts like hell and Scizor really is amazing at using it. With SR up and U-Turn, bear in mind Scizor will beat or wear down Skarmory (by going to Rotom-W to force it out or die) so badly throughout the course of a game that Excadrill or Landorus is likely to sweep if you're using Skarm to "stop" Scizor's U-Turns and Skarmory 4x resists the move! So you may have to find something else to take U-Turns from this monster over the course of the game which will wear you down for something else if i chain U-Turns and Volt Switches together. =) Anyway onto the rest of the moveset, Bullet Punch is arguably the next most important move and is obviously great if im in a pinch or have played stupid vs something. SuperPower takes out steels but i really dont use it too much truth be told and i mean why would you (well apart from on Ferrothorn) ? U-Turn is the best move on the set with no resistances lol. Lastly filler Pursuit, yeah! Well its not that bad, it opens up stall when they rely on Blissey and i can U-Turn/V-Switch from Celebi/Rotom-W to Scizor and Pursuit it which then makes them struggle with my two aforementioned Pokemon and this especially worked wonders when Hydreigon was on the team too.

@

Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This in my opinion is the best Scarfer in the game in the sand, really. It has everything the ideal Scarfer needs; its faster than darn near everything, troll speed ftw! It also keeps your momentum, its extremely powerful and can actually take out most of its counters with relative ease. U-Turn once again is probably the best move on this set as it messes with counters such as Rotom-W and Skarmory (when i U-Turn directly to counters) with SR up which open both of them up for an Excadrill kill. Earthquake and Stone Edge rip through near everything that doesn't resist them thanks to its amazing ability Sand Force. Hidden Power Ice is a filler but it does help secure kills on 4x weak Dragons without relying on Stone miss. HP Ice also lures in Gliscor for Exca sometimes. =P This genie is one badass pokemon and is seriously one of the best mons in the entire game. I chose Landorus as a scarfer as faster Pokemon were really annoying such as Latios to earlier versions of this team and ive yet to regret my decision.

@

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-W is really such an amazing Pokemon and the entire reason this team works so well. Honestly, Volt Switch and U-Turn chains win so many games alone its unreal and breaks near on every walling combo. Hydro Pump is pretty useful too helping put those punks Gliscor, Excadrill etc in their place its accuracy has been horrible for me though. Will-o-Wisp is chosen to beat the same things HP Fire would beat but also cripples Gastrodon at the same time which can stop Volt Turning chains it also actually wears down Lati@s and all other checks and counters bar Celebi. Pain Split lets Rotom-W heal which is very important as he is rather important to the team. Pain Split also wrecks many of Rotom-W switch ins as they tend to have high HP, im looking at you Gastrodon and Blissey etc. Overall though id say Rotom-W is the lynch pin of this team. If he is around its alot easier to win nearly all the time to be honest.

@
/
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Leaf Storm
- Recover / Psychic*
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Celebi is amazing in this metagame as im sure everyone can attest to after seeing how annoying NP Celebi is. At first i was using Choice Specs Hydreigon in this slot but he got replaced as explained above much to my dismay. Choice Specs Celebi was put into this team at first as it checks Conkeldurr whom i was struggling with before. To show Specs Celebi's power it even does like 55% to resists such as Lati@s with Leaf Storm and Psychic possibly 2hko's Max HP Scizor with sr up and OHKOing Dragonite (iirc) with SR up. Hidden Power Fire rounds off the coverage crushing Scizor, Forry, Skarm and the like. I have since replaced Psychic for Recover and used a Life Orb to conserve Celebi a little more but im not sure if i prefer it, i mean it does live longer but i miss Psychic's general spamability (new word lol) against checks like Dragonite. U-Turn is a cute move on Celebi and lets me gain momentum on obvious switch outs such as Jellicent and Rotom-W (both of which Celebi counters) and sticks with the theme of Volt Turning. Overall im happy with Celebi's spot despite it not being godly like Specs Hydreigon.

@

Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Oh god im going to miss this thing. It was so damn good and was/is arguably the best spinner offensive OU has ever seen (and in the game). It sucks that its banned now and even i voted it uber, but it needed to go really. It forced you to use Zong, Scarf weather changer, Gliscor, fighting/water priority or get swept essentially. Ironically im using the set that wasnt broken, the Adamant LO set was what got it banned imo because that set is insane. Air Balloon Adamant Excadrill on the other hand is a fantastic Pokemon and is THE best revenge killer and end game swepers in the game and combined with awesome utility its just amazing to be honest. Rapid Spin lets me get rid of hazards which would otherwise cripple my teams as it is constantly switching and really what is going to block this things spins with that massively powerful STAB EQ and Rock Slide coming from like 810 attack ? Exca is also here to revenge kill things along with Landorus if anything goes wrong and really holds this team together. To be honest I think OU has also suffered from him being put in ubers as OU lacks viable spinners and the rest of them lose to Ferrothorn. Plus he checked broken things like D-S and Volcarona etc even if he was broken himself. =/ Not a lot else to say really apart from this thing is essentially irreplaceable on this team and in OU in general, nothing can do what he does. =[

----
Go Crazy lol! To be honest though id kind of like to use this team in the current meta (post Excadrill and with it replaced) and maintain everything here (two steels, spinning etc). So that would be a bonus. =P Either way, rate away, comment etc. Thanks for reading.

Hello sir azelf,

This looks like a pretty solid example of old standard voltturn so congratz on that. Since you include exca I assume this team is more for show because it would be impossible to reciprocate the offensive and support presence he brought to your team.

The only flaw I see is the scarf lando, whose choice item will effectively neuter him against common defensive cores with protect rachi and gliscor making them very hard to break through for this team. If you want to keep the voltturn theme I suggest changing him to an ebelt set to be able to change attacks and lure key defensive threats by bluffing a choice item. Also I think you could test the sub smack down set to help you put pressure on team with skarmory, but you would have to sacrifice uturn. You're team won't miss scarf too much because excadrill will still get a lot of his revenge kills.

Next your team is a bit weak to cm Virizion who can 2hko scizor on the switch with focus and get free set up on ttar and rotomw. Also you have no way to ko cm reuniclus because he can just recover off scizor uturn. OTR too can probably pick off a weakened scizor lategame. A simple change to sd roost scizor with uturn would be a quick fix with a spread of 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef adamant nature, but if you don't like him and wanna keep cb you could give Ttar crunch over stone edge and invest enough attack to 2hko cm reun (88 +nature iirc) that way you can put reun in range of cbzor uturn and you trap with pursuit. Right now reun just set up on ttar... Trick on Celebi is another option to cripple cm reun and help against stall but I think giving Ttar crunch would be easier so you can keep psychic on cele to hit dnite. Hm and I think OTR rank and viriz can be played around to some extent just don't give the former set up opportunities with bad choice lock moves and play scizor carefully against the latter. Ok sorry if I start to ramble...good luck!

Ps Ttar crunch would help against cm latias too who can handle cbzor with HP fire / sub and recover up on your other mons.

Hi!

Like this team a lot, Volt Switch and U Turn are my favorite moves.

Anyways, if you want to keep using this team, Sand Rush Sandslash makes for an okay replacement. (That is if it's released, if its not, disregard this paragraph.)

Isn't ths franky's team?
No ? :/

Hi!

Like this team a lot, Volt Switch and U Turn are my favorite moves.

Anyways, if you want to keep using this team, Sand Rush Sandslash makes for an okay replacement. (That is if it's released, if its not, disregard this paragraph.)
Slash isnt released yet, but ill probably look into him when he is.

Hello sir azelf,

This looks like a pretty solid example of old standard voltturn so congratz on that. Since you include exca I assume this team is more for show because it would be impossible to reciprocate the offensive and support presence he brought to your team.

The only flaw I see is the scarf lando, whose choice item will effectively neuter him against common defensive cores with protect rachi and gliscor making them very hard to break through for this team. If you want to keep the voltturn theme I suggest changing him to an ebelt set to be able to change attacks and lure key defensive threats by bluffing a choice item. Also I think you could test the sub smack down set to help you put pressure on team with skarmory, but you would have to sacrifice uturn. You're team won't miss scarf too much because excadrill will still get a lot of his revenge kills.

Next your team is a bit weak to cm Virizion who can 2hko scizor on the switch with focus and get free set up on ttar and rotomw. Also you have no way to ko cm reuniclus because he can just recover off scizor uturn. OTR too can probably pick off a weakened scizor lategame. A simple change to sd roost scizor with uturn would be a quick fix with a spread of 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef adamant nature, but if you don't like him and wanna keep cb you could give Ttar crunch over stone edge and invest enough attack to 2hko cm reun (88 +nature iirc) that way you can put reun in range of cbzor uturn and you trap with pursuit. Right now reun just set up on ttar... Trick on Celebi is another option to cripple cm reun and help against stall but I think giving Ttar crunch would be easier so you can keep psychic on cele to hit dnite. Hm and I think OTR rank and viriz can be played around to some extent just don't give the former set up opportunities with bad choice lock moves and play scizor carefully against the latter. Ok sorry if I start to ramble...good luck!

Ps Ttar crunch would help against cm latias too who can handle cbzor with HP fire / sub and recover up on your other mons.
Virizion has never been an issue truth be told. Scarf Land, Scizor and Celebi (well when i had Specs Psychic) always seem to thwart it.

Ill look into the sp.def Scizor set, but its really weak and part of the reason i hate it. However TR Reuniclus is a an absolute ass late game, so i really like the suggestion. I may just switch to the sp.def CBer and see how that functions. CM Reuniclus isnt a threat tbh, pretty much everything destroys it through sheer force, the TR set is the one that worries me most of all.

As for EB Landorus, ill try that too. I had Scarf as it helps dealing with things like Lati@s and the like with fast U-Turns which are sometimes a god send.

Thanks for the suggestions. ^^

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
I have never seen this team in my life except on one occasion, and how can it be infamous if it didn't do anything to be "bad"? If it got number 1, wouldn't it just be, famous.

Anyways, Franky used this team in frontier, so it's definitely his team. And, it's very Reflections weak.

I think I saw franky use this. Stole it from you, no doubt.

You should join st8! Use chople berry on ttar for hydra.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
this team is completely wrecked by sub/fire move/shadow ball/hp fighting chandelure, who sets up a sub on celebi and proceeds to kill everything. to fix this i suggest adding chople berry to your tyranitar, so that it can break chandy's sub without dying (nothing on your team can avoid the 2hko, and it gives you another check).

congrats on the ladder success. i should've beaten franky in frontier when he used this team but my thundurus missed a focus blast on his excadrill. whatever. it's still a damn good team.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sup Elf.

Having played against this team, I know how hard it is to beat, and the fact that you're able to play it so skillfully is just icing on the cake. Firstly, after doing some calcs, I saw that +1/+1/+1 offensive Volcarona will do 82.43% - 97.28% to your Tyranitar, so if it has already taken a hit from something, then Tyranitar will fall, so maybe testing out a Tanga Berry could help Tar truly counter Volc? Chople would be a good replacement as well, for the reaosns stated by the other raters. Exca is nearly irreplacable in what it does, as nothing else can spin, outspeed the majority of the metagame and sweep a team with ease. CB Terrakion might be a decent replacement if you're looking for power, but you lose spin support.

this team is completely wrecked by sub/fire move/shadow ball/hp fighting chandelure, who sets up a sub on celebi and proceeds to kill everything. to fix this i suggest adding chople berry to your tyranitar, so that it can break chandy's sub without dying (nothing on your team can avoid the 2hko, and it gives you another check).

congrats on the ladder success. i should've beaten franky in frontier when he used this team but my thundurus missed a focus blast on his excadrill. whatever. it's still a damn good team.
Ill consider using chopple berry, this also helps with Reuniclus too who as mentioned previously is an ass sometimes, thanks. ^^

I think I saw franky use this. Stole it from you, no doubt.

You should join st8! Use chople berry on ttar for hydra.
People have told me to join before, never did though so i may do one of these days. =P Yeah i think im gonna use Chople as mentioned above, thanks.

I have never seen this team in my life except on one occasion, and how can it be infamous if it didn't do anything to be "bad"? If it got number 1, wouldn't it just be, famous.

Anyways, Franky used this team in frontier, so it's definitely his team. And, it's very Reflections weak.
Its done many bad things. ;D Also Its not his team, its mine. Seems he was using it like alot of other people who somehow got their hands on it according to Snunch lol. :/

Karpman said:
Sup Elf.

Having played against this team, I know how hard it is to beat, and the fact that you're able to play it so skillfully is just icing on the cake. Firstly, after doing some calcs, I saw that +1/+1/+1 offensive Volcarona will do 82.43% - 97.28% to your Tyranitar, so if it has already taken a hit from something, then Tyranitar will fall, so maybe testing out a Tanga Berry could help Tar truly counter Volc? Chople would be a good replacement as well, for the reaosns stated by the other raters. Exca is nearly irreplacable in what it does, as nothing else can spin, outspeed the majority of the metagame and sweep a team with ease. CB Terrakion might be a decent replacement if you're looking for power, but you lose spin support.
Well im not really Volc weak. Exca and Landorus both outspeed it at +1, also Tyranitar takes less damage than that, are you using a Life Orb or something ? I calced Modest Leftovers +1 Bug Buzz and it does 82% max. :s Lastly, i wasnt looking for something to mimic Exca as that is impossible, just to have a functioning team whilst maintaining the spinning, two steels and the like.

Thanks alot guys.

I think the idea of the teams creator is a bit uncertain seeing as the team was literally what the standard offensive sand team looked like in the previous metagame.

Nonetheless it is an incredible team to play offensively beating almost any playstyle.
However walls like tangrowth with regenerator look quite tough to beat being able to recover off hits with ease and not caring much for hazards.

Having watched a user, by the name of Jamy on PO, use this exact team (but with an expert belt landorus) and peak No1 for many weeks at the end of the round i think that an expert belt landorus with smack down would be an excellent wallbreaker for the team, taking care of skarmoury, bronzong and gliscor which wall excadrill and being able to afford not to predict.

Landorus makes an excellent check to an unboosted volcarona even with expert belt and with the fast paced momentum of the uturn strategy it shouldnt find too many opportunities to set up. If all goes wrong excadrill could always have revenged in the sand.

On tyranitar if cm latias can set up on pursuit it will definitely find it a lot easier to set up on stone edge, so i recommend the use of crunch over stone edge, i would also run some attack evs to compliment this and give tyranitar a chople berry to better take on OTR reuniclus.

As for updating the team for the new meta, i think a choice banded terrakion over excadrill would be best for its wallbreaking power which many teams have no answer to, hazards shouldnt be too much of a problem vs stall as with good prediction terrakion will put a timer on your average stall team anyway. If you are using cb terrakion keeping landorus scarfed would probably be best, as would giving tyranitar crunch and chople berry to take on the ever common deoxys-s lead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)