VGC 2012 Threatlist

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
VGC 2012 Threatlist

Welcome to the VGC 2012 Threatlist! There are a few rules I'd like to run through before we begin. Please read them, as they will make this whole process run smoothly, not to mention make my life much easier.

• I ask that you reserve as many pokemon as you can handle. For example, if you reserve five pokemon and I see that you have been rather slow to finish up your own analyses in the VGC 2012 forums, I'll probably have to put my foot down.
  • Knowledge of the VGC 2012 metagame is crucial in writing this threatlist. Therefore, if you do not have adequate playing experience in this metagame, I ask that you not reserve any pokemon here.
  • Please PM or VM me when you have finished your submission.
  • If you wish to make any suggestions, please PM or VM me, and please do not post suggestions in this thread. While suggestions are valuable and welcome, they serve only to clutter up the thread, and create more confusion. Therefore, please follow the instructions above.
  • Please do not attempt any form of GP in this thread. I will personally go through each and every submission and add my own checks, and when I see fit, I will ask members of the GP team to make their checks.
  • The list here is not final. Please contact me if you have any suggestions, as mentioned above.
The Threatlist:

The name of the person reserving the pokemon will be written in bold; when finished, a " [DONE] " will be written beside it.

Abomasnow
Amoonguss
Chandelure
Conkeldurr
Cresselia
Garchomp
Gastrodon - R Inanimate [DONE]
Hariyama
Hitmontop - Jrank
Infernape - Trollfreak
Jellicent
Kingdra
Krookodile
Latios
Ludicolo
Machamp
Metagross - R Inanimate [DONE]
Ninetales
Politoed - Cybertron
Rotom-W
Scizor
Scrafty
Suicune
Terrakion
Thundurus
Togekiss - lucariojr
Tornadus
Toxicroak - Cybertron
Tyranitar
Volcarona
Weavile - Jrank [DONE]
Yanmega
Zapdos - Trollfreak [DONE]

Here’s the Format you guys should use when writing up your submissions:

[Pokemon’s Sprite (B/W Sprite)]
[Pokemon’s Name (with a link to the analysis page)(Bold)]
[Typing (EX. Type: Fire / Fighting)]
[Base Stats (EX: Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 100 Spe)]
[Pokemon’s Ability/Abilities (if it has an unreleased DW ability, put “ (Unreleased) “ next to it) (EX: Ability: Blaze)]
-space-
[Description / Entry]

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Okay this is legit, we have a compendium going on now.

Gastrodon
Type: Water / Ground
Base Stats: 111 / 83 / 68 / 92 / 82 / 39
Pokemon Abilities: Storm Drain / Sticky Hold / Sand Force

With Storm Drain now granting immunity to Water-type attacks while increasing Special Attack, Gastrodon's primary roles in VGC are that of a Rain counter, a Rain attacker. In addition to its ability to stop Rain team sweeps in their tracks, Gastrodon's typing and immunities allow it to stand up to common Pokemon, such as Metagross, Tyranitar, Rotom-W, and Zapdos. As a Rain counter, Gastrodon plays a defensive role, remaining in play as long as it can in order to redirect Water-type attacks away from its partner. On the flip side, Gastrodon's Storm Drain can be used by Rain teams to go on the offense. By getting powered up from ally Surfs in addition to the boost to Water-type attacks from the Rain, Gastrodon quickly becomes a highly destructive force with a vast OHKO list. Things are not always so good for Gastrodon, however, as its low speed often means that it will be the last to make a move. By taking advantage of Gastrodon's low speed, Gastrodon can be worn out by being battered by strong neutral STAB attacks, or by the use Grass-type attacks that hit on its 4x weakness. Though Gastrodon can be pretty resiliant, without any boosting from Storm Drain, it normally isn't too threatening offensively.

Metagross
Type: Steel / Psychic
Base Stats: 80 / 135 / 130 / 95 / 90 / 70
Pokemon Abilities: Clear Body / Light Metal

A Pokemon with a strong presence in VGC '09 and '10, Metagross returns in VGC 2012 showing that it still has what it takes to be a top contender. With an impressive defensive typing and bulk, coupled with its outstanding 135 base Attack unhindered by the effects of Intimidate, Metagross is a Pokemon that can show up on just about any team. It normally strikes with powerful physical Steel-, Psychic-, and Ground-type moves, but one much watch for other moves, such as Ice Punch, Explosion, or Trick. It's access to Bullet Punch provides Metagross with a priority move, making it a poor choice to try to attack it with crippled Pokemon. One shouldn't expect to OHKO Metagross very often, as even though its weak to Fire-type attacks, many of them hold Occa Berries. Even so, Fire-type Pokemon are still best for dealing with Metagross. Alternatively, Electric- and Water-type Pokemon tend to fare decently well against opposing Metagross.

Weavile
Type: Dark / Ice
Base Stats: 70 / 120 / 65 / 45 / 85 / 125
Pokemon Abilities: Pressure / Pickpocket

After a stellar showing in VGC '10, Weavile is back as the fastest Fake Out user and threat to many of the most used Pokemon. Dark- and Ice-typing allow it to net a super effective hit on many common Pokemon, including Zapdos, Latios, Cresselia, Chandelure, and Garchomp. It also provides great first-turn support with the fastest Fake Out in the game, allowing Weavile's partner to eliminate threats or use a move such as Tailwind. Furthermore, it has access to Low Kick, which grants it additional coverage on other common Pokemon like Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Abomasnow. Unfortunately, being a fast and speedy attacker that can take on Top-10 threats comes with some downsides, namely on the defensive side. Its typing, while a blessing offensively, makes it weak to many common attacks; its low 70 / 65 / 85 defenses don't help, either. If one wishes to counter Weavile, all that is needed is a strong Rock-, Fire-, or Fighting-type move and Weavile will often be OHKOed. If those moves are not available, even a few strong neutral STAB attacks, such as a Ludicolo Hydro Pump, will often be enough to finish it off quickly.

Zapdos
Type: Electric / Flying
Base Stats: 90 HP / 90 Atk / 85 Def / 125 SpA / 90 SpD / 100 Spe
Pokemon Abilities: Pressure / Lightingrod (Unreleased)

With a great Electric / Flying typing, Zapdos shows why it is a top threat in the metagame. Sporting 5 resistances and an immunity, along with 90 / 85 /90 Defenses, Zapdos has great bulk to survive the many powerful attacks in the metagame. Along with great defensive typing, great offensive typing, with moves such as Heat Wave in it's arsenal as well to take on Abomasnow and Metagross, and a gigantic 125 Special Attack, Zapdos can take a hit and dish them back. Also, with an immunity to Ground, it can form a deadly "Disquake" combo, which is resisted by very few Pokemon. It also makes a great supporter, with Tailwind and Thunder Wave in it's movepool as well, meaning that Zapdos is very unpredictable, and underestimating it will be your downfall.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'll reserve Hitmontop and Weavile

(Note: The italics on Weavile's Pickpocket ability means that it isn't released yet)

Weavile
Type: Dark / Ice
Base Stats: 70 / 120 / 65 / 45 / 85 / 125
Pokemon Abilities: Pressure / Pickpocket

After a stellar showing in VGC '10, Weavile is back as the fastest Fake Out user and threat to many of the most used Pokemon. Dark- and Ice-typing allow it to net a super effective hit on many common Pokemon, including Zapdos, Latios, Cresselia, Chandelure, and Garchomp. It also provides great first-turn support with the fastest Fake Out in the game, allowing Weavile's partner to eliminate threats or use a move such as Tailwind. Furthermore, it has access to Low Kick, which grants it additional coverage on other common Pokemon like Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Abomasnow. Unfortunately, being a fast and speedy attacker that can take on Top-10 threats comes with some downsides, namely on the defensive side. Its typing, while a blessing offensively, makes it weak to many common attacks; its low 70 / 65 / 85 defenses don't help, either. If one wishes to counter Weavile, all that is needed is a strong Rock-, Fire-, or Fighting-type move and Weavile will often be OHKOed. If those moves are not available, even a few strong neutral STAB attacks, such as a Ludicolo Hydro Pump, will often be enough to finish it off quickly.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I'll reserve Gastrodon, and Metagross.

EDIT: Finished writing these two up, hopefully I've got the formatting right. Tell me if there's anything I should be adding/removing to the writeups.

Gastrodon
Type: Water / Ground
Base Stats: 111 / 83 / 68 / 92 / 82 / 39
Pokemon Abilities: Storm Drain / Sticky Hold / Sand Force

With Storm Drain now granting immunity to Water-type attacks while increasing Special Attack, Gastrodon's primary roles in VGC are that of a Rain counter, a Rain attacker. In addition to its ability to stop Rain team sweeps in their tracks, Gastrodon's typing and immunities allow it to stand up to common Pokemon, such as Metagross, Tyranitar, Rotom-W, and Zapdos. As a Rain counter, Gastrodon plays a defensive role, remaining in play as long as it can in order to redirect Water-type attacks away from its partner. On the flip side, Gastrodon's Storm Drain can be used by Rain teams to go on the offense. By getting powered up from ally Surfs in addition to the boost to Water-type attacks from the Rain, Gastrodon quickly becomes a highly destructive force with a vast OHKO list. Things are not always so good for Gastrodon, however, as its low speed often means that it will be the last to make a move. By taking advantage of Gastrodon's low speed, Gastrodon can be worn out by being battered by strong neutral STAB attacks, or by the use Grass-type attacks that hit on its 4x weakness. Though Gastrodon can be pretty resiliant, without any boosting from Storm Drain, it normally isn't too threatening offensively.

Metagross
Type: Steel / Psychic
Base Stats: 80 / 135 / 130 / 95 / 90 / 70
Pokemon Abilities: Clear Body / Light Metal

A Pokemon with a strong presence in VGC '09 and '10, Metagross returns in VGC 2012 showing that it still has what it takes to be a top contender. With an impressive defensive typing and bulk, coupled with its outstanding 135 base Attack unhindered by the effects of Intimidate, Metagross is a Pokemon that can show up on just about any team. It normally strikes with powerful physical Steel-, Psychic-, and Ground-type moves, but one much watch for other moves, such as Ice Punch, Explosion, or Trick. It's access to Bullet Punch provides Metagross with a priority move, making it a poor choice to try to attack it with crippled Pokemon. One shouldn't expect to OHKO Metagross very often, as even though its weak to Fire-type attacks, many of them hold Occa Berries. Even so, Fire-type Pokemon are still best for dealing with Metagross. Alternatively, Electric- and Water-type Pokemon tend to fare decently well against opposing Metagross.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus

Zapdos
Type: Electric / Flying
Base Stats: 90 HP / 90 Atk / 85 Def / 125 SpA / 90 SpD / 100 Spe
Pokemon Abilities: Pressure / Lightingrod (Unreleased)

With a great Electric / Flying typing, Zapdos shows why it is a top threat in the metagame. Sporting 5 resistances and an immunity, along with 90 / 85 /90 Defenses, Zapdos has great bulk to survive the many powerful attacks in the metagame. Along with great defensive typing, great offensive typing, with moves such as Heat Wave in it's arsenal as well to take on Abomasnow and Metagross, and a gigantic 125 Special Attack, Zapdos can take a hit and dish them back. Also, with an immunity to Ground, it can form a deadly "Disquake" combo, which is resisted by very few Pokemon. It also makes a great supporter, with Tailwind and Thunder Wave in it's movepool as well, meaning that Zapdos is very unpredictable, and underestimating it will be your downfall.

Infernape
Type: Fire / Fighting
Base Stats: 76 HP / 104 Atk / 71 Def / 104 SpA / 71 SpD / 108 Spe
Pokemon Abilities: Blaze / Iron Fist

Not done w/ Infernape yet

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
I said on IRC I'll write Hariyama and Jellicent up for this, so I'll edit this post with the need format for both.

Not done yet

Jellicent
Type: Water / Ghost
Base Stats: 100 HP / 60 Atk / 70 Def / 85 SpA / 105 SpD / 60 Spe
Pokemon Abilities: Water Absorb / Cursed Body / Damp (Unreleased)

A huge threat from VGC 2011 returns for more action in this new VGC metagame. Back then it was feared due to its sweeping potential with Water Spout spam and a few other things. However, with many old time favorites added back in this year Jellicent serves as a great supporter to many Pokemon in this metagame. With this year, Jellicent can definitely be seen potently for Trick Room set up. With a Speed stat of 60 along with decent 100 / 60 / 105 Defenses Jellicent makes a great Trick Room setter with being able to take a few hits and be able to get Trick Room up and wreck havoc against the opponent to use moves like Will-O-Wisp or Confuse Ray and get easy recovery with Recover or Water Absorb ability.

Hariyama
Type: Fighting
Base Stats: 144 HP / 120 Atk / 60 Def / 40 SpA / 60 SpD / 50 Spe
Pokemon Abilities: Thick Fat / Guts / Sheer Force

Hariyama is no doubt one of the best Fake Outers for Trick Room use......

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I'll reserve Kingdra.

EDIT:

Kingdra
Type: Water / Dragon
Base Stats: 75 / 95 / 95 / 95 / 95 / 85
Pokemon Abilities: Swift Swim / Sniper / Damp

A Pokemon commonly seen on rain teams, and for a good reason. In the Rain, Kingdra gains a boost to its Water-type attacks along with a doubling in Speed due to Swift Swim. This turns a Pokemon with extremely balanced stats into a high-speed offensive powerhouse. Kingdra is mainly seen using Water- and Dragon-type attacks, taking full advantage of its typing, though it can run a number of different moves on its moveset in addition to these attacks. The easiest way to handle Kingdra is to remove its Speed advantage. By using Trick Room, paralyzing Kingdra, or removing the rain, Kingdra becomes a lot more managable. Once its Speed is down, faster Dragon-type Pokemon such as Latios and Garchomp can make quick work of Kingdra. Alternatively, using a Ferrothorn or Empoleon can easily deal with Kingdra's attacks even with the rain.

I'll reserve Scrafty.

EDIT: Done

Scrafty
Type: Dark / Fighting
Base Stats: 65 / 90 / 115 / 45 / 115 / 58
Pokemon Abilities: Moxie / Shed Skin / Intimidate

Back from the VGC 2011 metagame, Scrafty is a Pokemon of many facets, and can be successfully run on almost any team, either as support, attacker, or a mix of the two. Boasting a great Dark/Fighting type that can wall out the common Psychic-type, good defenses, excellent abilities, and receiving tons of great STABs and moves such as Drain Punch, Crunch, Ice Punch, Fake-Out, Fire Punch, Rock Slide, and more, it can conform to almost any situations. Because of this, countering Scrafty is fairly difficult because you have to figure out the set first, but once you do, he can be managed. Poweful Fighting and Flying-types such as Hariyama and Zapdos can easily counter Scrafty with STAB Close Combats and Flying Gem Acrobatics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)