Stantler (QC 3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Original Deer!

Once again updating in fragments so blah :P

[Overview]

<p>The first ever digital deer makes a silent return in BW, flying under the radar in terms of usage in NU. Stantler boasts an average Attack stat and slightly less spectactular Special Attack and Speed. Sadly, its Defenses are not as great leaving Stantler unable to take many neutral hits, emulating that of a "glass cannon." Stantler has a very diverse movepool to tap into, allowing it to run a pure physical, special or even a mix set. Stantler's Abilities, Intimidate and Sap Sipper, also assist Stantler by either weakening an opponent's physical attacks via Intimidate or getting a free boost upon switching in to common Grass-type attacks like Tangela's Leech Seed and Magmortar's HP Grass via Sap Sipper. With all things considered, Stantler has an incredible movepool and good offensive presence that enables it to use an effective late game cleanup role.</p>

[SET]
Name: Full Offense
Move 1: Return
Move 2: Megahorn
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Bite / Jump Kick
Item: Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper / Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Stantler has a decent Base 95 Attack stat to abuse with a very diverse physical movepool. Return is standard STAB and is Stantler's most powerful attack

• Return is basic STAB
  • Mega Horn for Psychics and Tangela
  • Earthquake to nail Rocks and Steels
  • Jump Kick for Miltank and Lickilicky
  • Wild Charge to hit Ghosts
  • Life Orb for an extra boost
  • Even though Sap Sipper turns this thing into a actual physical threat
  • Lacks the bulk even with investment, so it's not going to last long

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Could run Retaliate over Return to revenge kill
  • Probably best as a revenge killer and late game cleaner
  • Quaggy pairs well with Stantler if he has sap sipper, due to Quaggy basically being a grass magnet
[Other Options]

<p> Stantler has a very diverse movepool to use over the moves stated in the set. Thunder Wave can be used to provide paralysis for its teammates but this cuts down on Stantler's primary function, to attack things. Hypnosis can also be used on slower opponents like Skuntank, Altaria, and Mesprit, but cuts into Stantler's offensive coverage and also has a high chance of missing. Double-Edge can be used over Return for more power but it is incompatible with Sap Sipper and the added recoil will shorten Stantler's time in battle considerably. Sucker Punch can be used to hit faster attackers like Kadabra, Jynx and Haunter, but it can easily be played around and is only slightly more powerful than Bite, which always hits. Stantler also can use Energy Ball for Pokemon like Quagsire and Golem but investment is needed in order to safely OHKO Quagsire, cutting into Stantler's Attack stat. Stantler has the movepool to run a mix set, but the split investment will severely hamper Stantler's ability to KO certain opponents, like Probopass after Stealth Rock damage and the aforementioned Quagsire. A full special set can also be used but it cannot play off the Attack boost provided by Sap Sipper and Stantler's higher Attack Stat.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Stantler can be dispatched by a multitude of opponents, primarily ones that outspeed it like Scarf Sawk, Scarf Braviary, Jynx, Rotom-A and Zangoose to name a few. Ghost-types like Haunter and Misdreavus, and opponents using protect on Stantler's Jump Kick can also dispatch it easily, as 50% recoil is going to dent Stantler badly. Priority in the forms of Mach Punch and Sucker Punch are common ways in order to kill Stantler, as prominent threats such as Golem, Absol and Gurrdurr can easily come in after a kill and revenge Stantler with their respective priority.</p>

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Sap Sipper is released so you don't need a dream world section.

Sap Sipper is released so you don't need a dream world section.
All I needed to know, thanks!

Removed DW section.

EDIT: Also slashed Sap Sipper ahead of Intimidate due to me being wrong on the amount of actual grasses in the tier. My bad!

breh

強いだね
double edge (via Em move tutor) needs OO mention.

CB slash IMO.

Bite needs OO mention (hell, maybe AC) because it solidly 2HKOes 252/0 Misdreavus with a CB.

Sucker Punch needs OO mention.

Disable in OO.

[00:27:07] <+steamroll> TENNIS
[00:27:12] <+steamroll> ZEBRAIKEN!
[00:27:15] <~tennisace> WHAT.
[00:27:22] <+steamroll> http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460071
[00:27:23] <+steamroll> check
[00:27:36] <+steamroll> should I implement Breludi's suggestions?
[00:27:44] <~tennisace> yes
[00:27:47] <+steamroll> kk
[00:27:57] <~tennisace> you need to mention the emerald tutors aren't compatible with sap sipper
[00:28:03] <+steamroll> yeah
[00:28:05] <+steamroll> I will
[00:28:12] <~tennisace> not bite
[00:28:14] <~tennisace> and not disable
[00:28:15] <+steamroll> kk

breh

強いだね
sucker punch is also sadly incompatible with sap sipper.

I feel like I'm missing something, but what exactly does wild charge do? Flying-types in NU are either hit more than hard enough by Return (Braviary is KOed with Rocks by LO) and Alomamola laughs at your pitiful attempts at damage (and gives you shittons of recoil in return). It's useful for pelipper and mantine, I guess, but they kind of suck.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wild Charge is basically your only move to hit Ghosts with neutrally but if thats all its used for then maybe Bite does have utility? In that case I'd slash Jump Kick / Bite, mentioning Bite does something to Misdreavus etc etc.

alright I did a Quick calc:

neu max attack stantler wild charge vs. Physical Wall 252/232 missy: 21.6% - 25.6%
neu max attack stantler bite vs. Physical Wall 252/232 missy: 28.4% - 34%
+1 max attack stantler wild charge vs. Physical Wall 252/232 missy: 31.8% - 37.7%
+1 max attack stantler bite vs. Physical Wall 252/232 missy: 42% - 50%

bite over Wild Charge. Also OOing Sucker Punch if it isn't already there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)