Abomasnow (Mixed Attacker) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

merry late christmas~

credits to xtrashine (or was it Stunt ?_?) for coming up with this set!

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Wood Hammer
move 2: Blizzard
move 3: Ice Shard
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: Expert Belt
ability: Snow Warning
nature: Lonely
evs: 252 Atk / 144 SpA / 112 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to good coverage moves, decent attacking stats, and a pretty good offensive typing, Abomasnow is certainly an interesting option for a mixed attacker, especially considering it can cause trouble to common rain stall and Volt-Turn teams. Wood Hammer is Abomasnow's strongest attack, and while Grass isn't an impressive attacking type, it does hit important Pokemon, such as Rotom-W, Quagsire, Politoed, and Tyranitar. Furthermore, STAB Blizzard complements it very nicely by hitting Dragon-, Grass-, and Flying-types super effectively, as well as denting physical walls, such as Skarmory and Gliscor. Hidden Power Fire rounds off the set by hitting Steel-types, such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, who can absorb Grass- and Ice-moves and retaliate, although you should watch out for the former's Bullet Punch. Ice Shard is used in the last slot in order to hit Dragonite, Landorus, Salamence, and other faster threats that can OHKO Abomasnow.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While the EV spread seems unorthodox, it gives Abomasnow the ability to outspeed standard Skarmory and other threats such as defensive Tyranitar, defensive Politoed, Choice Band Scizor, and Blissey. It then maximizes Abomasnow's Attack in order to do more damage with Wood Hammer and Ice Shard, and the leftover EVs boost Abomasnow's Special Attack for a stronger Blizzard. If you wish, Earthquake can be used over Hidden Power Fire to hit Specially Defensive Jirachi much harder than Hidden Power Fire; it also OHKOes Heatran and deals over 80% damage to Ninetales, but it should be noted that you cannot OHKO Scizor anymore, and Ferrothorn might be annoying. Protect is also a viable option over Blizzard, as it avoids U-turn / Bullet Punch mindgames against Scizor and wastes a turn, which means your opponent takes hail damage, but if you use it, the Choice item bluff will not work. You can also use Babiri Berry as an item in order to survive Scizor's Bullet Punch, although it's not recommended because it will still do a lot of damage and, without Expert Belt, you lose out on important KOs.</p>

<p>Since Fire-type Pokemon are troublesome for Abomasnow, Heatran and Chandelure are nice teammates, as they can take advantage of opposing Fire-moves with Flash Fire. Additionally, they beat Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Jirachi much more reliably and are excellent Pokemon to use against sun teams. Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Lucario, and other Fighting-type Pokemon are interesting options as well, as they can beat Blissey, Chansey, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar more reliably, and also resist the Rock-type moves that KO Abomasnow. The christmas tree hates opposing Fighting-types, though. Therefore, Mew, Reuniclus, and Gliscor are good teammates.</p>

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If this Abomasnow for more effective luring of Pokemon from Volt Turn teams, I suggest mentioning or slashing in Babiri Berry, ala BaitTar, who also runs Babiri Berry and can roast Scizor while outrunning it, like this Abomasnow can. This comes, however, comes short of KOes against Tyranitar without an Expert Belt (although a bit of damage from hail or hazards will help quite a bit, according to a few quick calculations). I am also wondering if a specially offensive Abomasnow with modified EVs is possible.

Missing the KO's are fairly dismiss-able considering this set carries Ice Shard.

How much would an EQ do on this set to Ninetails/Ttar?

EQ on this set OHKO's ninetales and does 52-72% damage to Tyranitar, allowing either of them to be KO'd if you predict a switch in. I'd say it could be used over HP Fire, as earthquake would still hit Jirachi pretty hard, although it would mean loosing coverage against Ferrothorn and Scizor.

This should be the set
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard / Protect
- Wood Hammer
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earthquake
I don't know what to do about EV, but for IV i guess it's great 30 Attack, 30 Special Attack, 2 Speed and a Brave / Quiet nature. It will be slower than Hippowdon and Quiet Tyranitar, in order to get the hail setted. A fast EV spread would be useless, as 60 Speed sucks, and anyway Ninetales is too fast and Politoed has often Choice Scarf

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@bruno speed allows it to outrun skarm, min speed scizor, some slow breloom and the like.

I'd put magnezone as a partner since it really discourages scizor from using anything else apart from u-turn (watch out for scarf / jolly scizor), letting you roast it with HP Fire, and even if it does kill you magnezone will KO it next turn.

Maybe a slash for earthquake to ohko magnezone / heatran (it'd probably be slashed over blizzard of all things though...)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Babiri probably deserves an AC mention. Without expert belt, you a fair amount of KOs. (which goes against the point of this set imo) I'd accept an EQ slash (alongside Blizzard) but Protect seems out of place on a set like this.

This set ruined my day the last time I saw it haha, kudos for coming up with the set xtra.

I don't want a lot for Christmas
There's just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is...
You

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Protect suits more in a set of Leech Seed/Ice Shard/Wood Hammer/Protect ive used. Its actually very useful against volturn chain alongside SR to get some free hail damages on choiced mons, scout and get free Leech Seed recovery. But yeah, Blizzard is the only thing that Abomasnow doesnt really need (EB Ice Shard stil punish Dragonite after SR. Only thing you really miss is Celebi, but he isnt a problem for hail mons anyway.

Protects main purpose (over blizzard usually) is to scout for cb scizors attempting to u-turn on you, allowing you to OHKO with hidden power fire. This is, however, possibly risky as some scizors run more speed or could even sword dance. Still, I think it deserves at least an AC mention just for helping against most scizor

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think that you should also mention Focus Blast in AC. Although unreliable it is a nice move to use in many sitautions. It is able to hit Heatran through Balloon, murder Tyranitar without causing huge recoil and offers great all around coverage.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
add/replace with
remove
comments

[SET]
move 4: Hidden Power [Fire]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to good coverage, decent attacking stats, and a pretty good offensive typing, Abomasnow is certainly an interesting option for a mixed attacker, especially considering it can cause troubles to common Rain Stall and Volt-Turn teams. Wood Hammer is Abomasnow's strongest attack, and while Grass isn't an impressive attacking type, it does hit important Pokemon, such as Rotom-W, Quagsire, Politoed, and Tyranitar. and others. Furthermore, STAB Blizzard complements it very nicely, by hitting Dragon-, Grass-, and Flying-types super effectively, as well as denting physical walls like Skarmory and Gliscor. for hard damage. Hidden Power Fire rounds off the coverage by hitting Steel-types such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, who can absorb Grass- and Ice-moves and retaliate, although you should watch out for the former's Bullet Punch. in the latter's case.(iirc Ferro doesn't get BP.) Ice Shard is used in the last slot in order to hit Dragonite, Landorus, Salamence, and others, since they're faster and other faster threats that can OHKO Abomasnow.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While the EV spread seems unorthodox, it gives Abomasnow the ability to outspeed Standard Skarmory, and, therefore, outspeeding other threats such as defensive Tyranitar, defensive Politoed, Choice Band Scizor, Blissey, and other bulky Pokemon. It then maximizes Abomasnow's Attack stat in order to do more damage with Wood Hammer and Ice Shard, while the leftover EVs boost Abomasnow's Special Attack for a stronger Blizzard. If you wish, Earthquake can be used over Hidden Power Fire to hit Specially Defensive Jirachi much harder than Hidden Power Fire, while still while OHKOing Heatran and dealing over 80% damage to Ninetales, but it should be noted that you cannot OHKO Scizor anymore, and Ferrothorn might be annoying. Protect is also a viable option over Blizzard, since you can use it to as it avoids U-turn / Bullet Punch mindgames against Scizor and wastes a turn, which means your opponent takes free Hail damage, but if you use it, the Choice item bluff will not work. You can also use Babiri Berry as an item in order to survive Scizor's Bullet Punch, although it's not recommended because it will still do a lot of damage and, without Expert Belt, you lose important KOs.</p>

<p>Since Fire-type Pokemon are troublesome for Abomasnow, Heatran and Chandelure are nice teammates, since they can take advantage of opposing Fire-moves with its Flash Fire. ability. Additionally, they beat Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Jirachi much more reliably and are excellent Pokemon to use against Drought teams. Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Lucario, and other Fighting-type Pokemon are interesting options as well, because they can beat Blissey, Chansey, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar more reliably, and resist Rock-type moves that will KO Abomasnow. The christmas tree hates opposing Fighting-types, though. Therefore, Mew, Reuniclus, and Gliscor are good teammates.</p>

GP Approved (1/2

[SET]
move 4: Hidden Power Fire

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With access to good coverage moves, decent attacking stats, and a pretty good offensive typing, Abomasnow is certainly an interesting option for a mixed attacker, especially considering it can cause trouble to common Rrain Sstall and Volt-Turn teams. Wood Hammer is Abomasnow's strongest attack, and while Grass isn't an impressive attacking type, it does hit important Pokemon, such as Rotom-W, Quagsire, Politoed, and Tyranitar. Furthermore, STAB Blizzard complements it very nicely by hitting Dragon-, Grass-, and Flying-types super effectively, (comma) as well as denting physical walls like, (comma) such as Skarmory and Gliscor. Hidden Power Fire rounds off the coverageset by hitting Steel-types, (comma) such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, who can absorb Grass- and Ice-moves and retaliate, although you should watch out for the former's Bullet Punch. Ice Shard is used in the last slot in order to hit Dragonite, Landorus, Salamence, and other faster threats that can OHKO Abomasnow.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While the EV spread seems unorthodox, it gives Abomasnow the ability to outspeed Sstandard Skarmory, and other threats such as defensive Tyranitar, defensive Politoed, Choice Band Scizor, Blissey, and other bulky Pokemonand Blissey. It then maximizes Abomasnow's Attack in order to do more damage with Wood Hammer and Ice Shard, whileand the leftover EVs boost Abomasnow's Special Attack for a stronger Blizzard. If you wish, Earthquake can be used over Hidden Power Fire to hit Specially Defensive Jirachi much harder than Hidden Power Fire, while OHKOing; it also OHKOes Heatran and dealings over 80% damage to Ninetales, but it should be noted that you cannot OHKO Scizor anymore, and Ferrothorn might be annoying. Protect is also a viable option over Blizzard, as it avoids U-turn / Bullet Punch mindgames against Scizor and wastes a turn, which means your opponent takes Hhail damage, but if you use it, the Choice item bluff will not work. You can also use Babiri Berry as an item in order to survive Scizor's Bullet Punch, although it's not recommended because it will still do a lot of damage and, without Expert Belt, you lose out on important KOs.</p>

<p>Since Fire-type Pokemon are troublesome for Abomasnow, Heatran and Chandelure are nice teammates, sinceas they can take advantage of opposing Fire-moves with Flash Fire. Additionally, they beat Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Jirachi much more reliably and are excellent Pokemon to use against Droughtsun teams. Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Lucario, and other Fighting-type Pokemon are interesting options as well, becauseas they can beat Blissey, Chansey, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar more reliably, and also resist the Rock-type moves that KO Abomasnow. The christmas tree hates opposing Fighting-types, though. Therefore, Mew, Reuniclus, and Gliscor are good teammates.</p>

GP Approved 2/2

Nitpick:

Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Lucario, and other Fighting-type Pokemon are interesting options as well, as they can beat Blissey, Chansey, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar more reliably, and also resist the Rock-type moves that KO Abomasnow.
Good job Blue_Star!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)