move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Blizzard / Ice Beam
item: Leftovers
ability: Pressure
nature: Modest
evs: 56 HP / 236 SpA / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rather than focusing solely on Kyurem's massive Special Attack stat, this set abuses its above average bulk, a nice set of resistances and its Pressure ability. Substitute is the crux of this set, as it eases prediction and prevents Kyurem from being crippled by status or revenge killed easily. Kyurem can make 101 HP Substitutes which means that moves such as Seismic Toss and Night Shade need 2 hits to break them. Weaker moves, such as Scald and Volt Switch, usually won't break the Substitute either thanks to said resistances and Kyurem's above average defenses. Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast, and Ice Beam or Blizzard give Kyurem as much coverage as possible, being able to hit everything for at least neutral damage. There aren't a lot of Pokemon that can take repeated hits from Kyurem, and the ones that can won't be able to do much in return while it's behind a Substitute.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs give Kyurem 405 HP, which allows it to switch into Stealth Rock 4 times without fainting as well as making bulky 101 HP Substitutes. Enough Speed investment to outspeed the likes of Dragonite and Adamant Lucario is used, while the remaining EVs are dumped into Special Attack to let Kyurem hit as hard as possible. Of course, Blizzard is to be used when Kyurem is utilized on a hail team, otherwise Ice Beam is the preferred option. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Steel-types that are neutral to Fighting-type attacks much harder, but leaves Kyurem walled against the likes of Heatran. Hidden Power Electric and Psychic are options as well but their usefulness is limited, and Kyurem's STAB moves hit as hard neutrally as these moves do super effectively. Life Orb is an option if you prefer a boost in power, but comes at the cost of Kyurem's longevity.</p>

<p>Abomasnow is probably the most appreciated teammate, as its ability, Snow Warning, allows Kyurem to spam the most powerful Blizzard in the game. Special walls such as Chansey and Blissey counter this set, but with Toxic Spikes support, Kyurem can beat them; the bulky Substitutes really come in handy against them. Tentacruel is a good Pokemon to set up Toxic Spikes, and it also has access to Rapid Spin and resists Kyurem's weaknesses. Scizor and Jirachi can take at least one of Kyurem's moves and KO it with their respective Steel-type STAB moves. Heatran or Skarmory can take on both of these Pokemon while also being able to set up entry hazards, making them solid teammates as well. Without a Substitute up, Kyurem is forced out by faster Pokemon with strong Fighting-type moves, such as Terrakion and Virizion. The aforementioned Skarmory can take these hits reasonably well, but bulky Psychic-types such as Reuniclus and Mew can work too.</p>

Oh, thanks for posting this set, I've used it before and it's really good on hail lol

Maybe HP Electric in AC? it gives you a solid attack for water=types who *might* be able to tank Draco Meteor otherwise, i.e. Jellicent can tank a Draco Meteor and basically leave you at half special attack for the rest of your time on the field. Just a thought, honestly, since this set is really good.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Ice Beam should be the main option, Blizzard is to unreliable, as it forces you to run Abomasnow

Hey, I remember this from Christmas. I think that the set should receive credit and a spot on-site since it was so effective on your team. Ice Beam is the secondary option because Kyurem is usually run with Hail, I believe. Anyhow, great set. I think it deserves a spot.

Most Water-types are hit harder by STAB Dragon Pulse and HP Electric doesn't do much to Jellicent anyway :/ Toxic Spikes support is a good fix for this.
And Blizzard is indeed to main option, as I never seen someone use a Kyurem outside a Hail team (it's possible though).

Yeah this set is awesome. Really catches a ton of people off guard since almost everyone expects Kyurem to be choiced. Really eases up the prediction game that most Kyurems have to play.

My main suggestion for this set would be to swap the positions of Ice Beam and Blizzard. Yes, most people who run Kyurem are running Abomasnow anyway, but for a neutral game, Ice Beam is definitely the superior option.

Mention that this Kyurem out speeds Adamant Lucario, it loses to Jolly unfortunately.

Other than that, it's definitely a sick set

I used this set a lot and this definitely works amazing. Starmie is a good teammate to mention because it's a good offensive spinner, as opposed to Tentacruel who mostly sits there.

@NatGeo: Dragon Pulse hits Jellicent harder than HP Electric.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The damage is negligible, and Dragon Pulse will always remain a reliable STAB move. The only thing I can see HP Electric being useful against is Gyarados, who can be killed by something else anyways.

Yeah, Dragon Pulse is the superior option most of the time. But I shall add Hidden Power [Electric] to AC for now.

HP Electric (reason said above) and Psychic (OU Fighting types ? Terrakion Lucario Virizion Conkeldurr SCRAGGY) arent even worth a mention..

Yeah, I will not mention Psychic and HP [Electric] in the analysis AC because they are hardly worth using.
Thanks for the approval Iconic, 2 more!

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think you may need to elaborate on why one would use Kyurem over similar special attacking Dragons, especially Hydreigon, who runs a similar Substitute set with (arguably) better coverage and immunity to hazards to boot.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^ I think Kyurem's neutrality to Ice combined with its natural bulk provides it some upper hand against Hydreigon. It makes Kyurem a much better Celebi, Starmie, Jolteon, Zapdos counter, thus providing easy switch-in opportunities. And again, this set can abuse Hail's Blizzard.

Well Harsha, there's always Lati@s of course ;)

Anyway, Pocket sums it up nicely. Kyurem has better bulk, neutrality to Ice and don't forget to ability Pressure which allows it to outstall lower PP moves as Gyro Ball and Fire Blast.
Kyurem even has a higher SAtk stat then Hydreigon!

This set is beastly in hail with Toxic Spike support. It is able to add some pressure stall and major sp attack power that can not be walled by any Pokemon, other than Jirachi, for long without risk being frozen. As long as hail + TS is up then you are guaranteed to do some major damage with this set. Although Jirachi and Scizor have been named as counters, Kyurem 2hkos scizor and doesn't die to CB BP, which means that Jirachi is pretty much the only counter. What good would a Scizor in hail getting hit by a Focus Blast doing 60% or more do.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
checkin

[SET]
name: Substitute + 3 Attacks
move 1: Substitute

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rather then focussing solely on Kyurem's massive Special Attack stat, this set also abuses its more than average bulk and nice set of resistances. Substitute is the crux of this set as it eases predictions and it prevents Kyurem from being crippled by status'ed or revenge killed easily. Kyurem can make 101 HP Substitutes which means moves such as Seismic Toss and Night Shade take 2 hits to break it. Weaker moves such as Scald and Volt Switch usually won't break the Sub either thanks to said resistances and Kyurem's above average defenses. Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast and Ice Beam or Blizzard give Kyurem as much coverage as possible, being able to hit everything for at least neutral damage. There aren't a lot of pokes Pokemon that can take repeated hits from Kyurem, and the ones that can, won't be able to do much in return thanks to Substitute.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV's give Kyurem 405 HP, meaning it can switch in Stealth Rock 4 times without dying as well as making bulky 101 HP Substitutes. Enough Speed investment to outspeed the likes of Dragonite and Adamant Lucario are used, while the remaing EV's are dumped into Special Attack to hit as hard as possible. Of course, Blizzard is to be used when Kyurem is utilized on a Hail team, otherwise Ice Beam should is the preferred option. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Steel-types neutral to Fighting-type attacks much harder, but leaves Kyurem walled against the likes of Heatran. Hidden Power Electric and Psychic are options as well but their use is very restricted, and Kyurem's STAB moves hit as hard neutral as these moves do super effectively. Life Orb is an option if you prefer a boost in power, but comes at the cost of Kyurem's longevity. </p>

<p>Abomasnow is probably the most appreciated teammate, as its ability, Snow Warning, autoweather Hail allows Kyurem to spam the most powerful Blizzard in the game. Special walls such as Chansey and Blissey counter this set, pretty good but with Toxic Spikes support, Kyurem can still beat them; the bulky Substitute really come in handy against them here. Tentacruel is a good Pokemon to set up these Toxic Spikes, and it also has access to Rapid Spin and it resists Kyurem's weaknesses. Scizor and Jirachi can take at least one of Kyurem's moves and kill it with their respective Steel-type STABs. Heatran or Skarmory can take on both of these pokes Pokemon while also being able to set up hazards, making them a solid teammates as well. Without a Substitute up, Kyurem is also forced out by faster pokes Pokemon with strong Fighting-type moves, like Terrakion and Virizion. The aforementioned Skarmory can take these hits reasonably, well but bulky Psychic-types such as Reuniclus and Mew can work too.</p>

Cool set; reading it really made me want to use Kyurem, although it needed some TLC grammar-wise :p

GP APPROVED 1/2

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
checkin

[SET]
name: Substitute + 3 Attacks
move 1: Substitute

[SET]

<p>Rather then focussing solely on Kyurem's massive Special Attack stat, this set also abuses its more than average bulk and nice set of resistances. Substitute is the crux of this set as it eases predictions and it prevents Kyurem from being crippled by status'ed or revenge killed easily. Kyurem can make 101 HP Substitutes which means moves such as Seismic Toss and Night Shade take 2 hits to break it. Weaker moves such as Scald and Volt Switch usually won't break the Sub either thanks to said resistances and Kyurem's above average defenses. Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast and Ice Beam or Blizzard give Kyurem as much coverage as possible, being able to hit everything for at least neutral damage. There aren't a lot of pokes Pokemon thaNt can take repeated hits from Kyurem, and the ones that can, won't be able to do much in return thanks to Substitute.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV's give Kyurem 405 HP, meaning it can switch into Stealth Rock 4 times without dying as well as making bulky 101 HP Substitutes. Enough Speed investment to outspeed the likes of Dragonite and Adamant Lucario are used, while the remaining EV's are dumped into Special Attack to hit as hard as possible. Of course, Blizzard is to be used when Kyurem is utilized on a Hail team, otherwise Ice Beam should is the preferred option. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Steel-types neutral to Fighting-type attacks much harder, but leaves Kyurem walled against the likes of Heatran. Hidden Power Electric and Psychic are options as well but their use is very restricted, and Kyurem's STAB moves hit as hard neutral as these moves do super effectively. Life Orb is an option if you prefer a boost in power, but comes at the cost of Kyurem's longevity. </p>

<p>Abomasnow is probably the most appreciated teammate, as its ability, Snow Warning, autoweather Hail allows Kyurem to spam the most powerful Blizzard in the game. Special walls such as Chansey and Blissey counter this set, pretty good but with Toxic Spikes support, Kyurem can still beat them; the bulky Substitutes really come in handy against them here. Tentacruel is a good Pokemon to set up these Toxic Spikes, and it also has access to Rapid Spin and it resists Kyurem's weaknesses. Scizor and Jirachi can take at least one of Kyurem's moves and kill it with their respective Steel-type STABs. Heatran or Skarmory can take on both of these pokes Pokemon while also being able to set up hazards, making them a solid teammates as well. Without a Substitute up, Kyurem is also forced out by faster pokes Pokemon with strong Fighting-type moves, like Terrakion and Virizion. The aforementioned Skarmory can take these hits reasonably, well but bulky Psychic-types such as Reuniclus and Mew can work too.</p>

Cool set; reading it really made me want to use Kyurem, although it needed some TLC grammar-wise :p

GP APPROVED 1/2
Just some small things I noticed. Also I think in the first line "higher than average" or "above average" sounds better than "more than average", but that's maybe just me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)