Volt-Turn? What Volt-Turn? (Anti-meta team)

Introduction:

Hello everyone, and welcome to my 3rd OU RMT! Hopefully this one will get a little more attention than my last few.

So anyway, as you can probably tell from the title I am among the people who have a bit of a beef with Volt-Turn. But unlike a lot of those people, rather than declare the current meta “garbage” or suggest banning random things, I decided to try and change the meta the old fashioned way; anti-metagaming. Basically I designed this team to counter the omnipresent Volt-Turn strategy while still being able to take on other teams, which we must remember still make up around 60% of the game. In the end I came up with this, which is what has to be my most successful team to go straight from theorymonning to laddering so far. You see usually, I do trial and error, with emphasis on the “error”. I’ll throw a team together, play with it and switch out team members frequently until I find a fit. To my stark surprise, I haven’t really had to do that with this one yet, though I suspect it can still be improved.

EDIT: I've made a couple changes based on the posts of people in the thread now, and the team seems to be a little better off for it. There's still room for improvement though... just look at that threat list!

Team Overview:

The team is primarily defensive, though you might not be able to tell that from first glance. It’s goal is to counter and wear down opponents, usually in anticipation of a Conkledurr sweep. Ultimately though, this team is intended to show that Volt-Turn is beatable while still remaining relevant to the rest of the metagame. Tangrowth is my main stop to the core of Volt-Turn teams, taking physical hits like a boss while resisting Volt-Switch and the rest of Rotom’s attacks. It also functions as my primary physical wall, able to take even Terrakion’s punishing attacks without consequence. It and Jirachi spread paralysis, using Stun Spore and Body Slam respectively, a key function for my generally slow team. Jirachi also provides healing with Wish, sponges special attacks and sets up Stealth Rock. Those rocks are obviously important for defeating Volt-Turn, meaning that the opponent can’t volt-turn without consequence. Gyarados is my shuffler and status absorber, running a Rest-Talk set with Dragon Tail, allowing it to screw over the ever present dragons and fuck up Volt-Turn more by screwing with their switches. Intimidate is also vital for lessening the blows of powerful physical attackers. Tentacruel's almost sole roll is as a reliable spinner, something vital not just for Volt-Turn, which loves utilizing hazards, but for the metagame in general. It also has a couple moves which provide useful coverage should I need it. Latias is my secondary Special Wall and phazer, providing extra defense against a number of threats the others have trouble with. Conkledurr, as mentioned, is my Physical attacker and sweeper, and his priority is also exceptionally useful for weakened threats. Together this team covers a lot of roles and has good synergy, which is what has really led to its success so far.

In-Depth Anaylsis:

Tangrowth (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stun Spore

Yeah, you won’t be seeing this set and spread on any analysis, seeing as it’s custom built to dismantle the oh-so-common offensive core of Rotom-W and Scizor. Despite the fact it’s not fully invested in Defense, it still takes even super-effective physical blows like a total boss thanks to its insane physical bulk, able to handle even Scizor’s Banded U-Turn and live. But rather than resign myself to simply withstanding a heavy blow from the king of OU, I gave Tangrowth the tools with which to hit back. The EVs in speed are specifically to outrun standard CB Scizor, so I can nail it with HP Fire before it gets off its U-turn. This isn’t going OHKO unless it crits, but the damage is enough to put Scizor in easy KO range of most of my team. It also gives Tangrowth a surprise edge against the ever-present Ferrothorn and occasional Forretress, who often mistake Tangrowth for set-up fodder. The real beauty of this set is the ways it can cripple the opponent though, using Knock Off and Stun Spore. Knock Off is a very potent move against choiced opponents like the ones that tend to make up Volt-Turn teams, as it deprives them of their power or speed, making them much easier to handle. And really, nothing likes losing its item, and some things like Chansey and Gliscor (on the switch) LOATHE losing it. The true awesomeness of it though is that revealing the item often reveals the set of the opponent too, making it a pseudo scouting move as well. Stun Spore is used over Sleep Powder because it’s just as good as Sleep for me, and can be used more than once. A paralyzed Pokemon is easy prey for pretty much anyone on the team. Giga Drain is the STAB move of choice, keeping Tangrowth alive even longer. Regenerator is what makes Tangrowth so useful overall though, since it’s the very anathema of Volt-Switch. Even if an opponent switches to a counter using Volt-Switch or U-Turn, I can just switch myself the next turn and recover all the damage they did to me. Tangrowth almost always sticks around to the end of the match because of it, making it extremely reliable as a wall since I know I’ll have it when I need it.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

Jirachi is one of the most important members of my team simply because it covers so many vital rolls at once. It’s my hazard layer, special wall, healer and paralysis spreader all in one. The rocks she lays are key to defeating Volt-Turn for obvious reasons, as is her ability to use Wish. Volt and U-turns are often very predictable, so she can use Wish as they are used then heal a counter of my choice on the switch. It also lessens the pressure of being worn down by Volt-Switching greatly. The paralysis isn’t so much for Volt-Turn (though it does help with that too) as it is for everything else. As mentioned, this team isn’t particularly fast, so paralyzing foes is something everyone on the team appreciates. She works well with Tangrowth generally, absorbing the special hits Tangrowth loathes, while Tangrowth takes the ground hits aimed at Jirachi. They do share a fire weakness though, which is where my third member comes in.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Roar

Latias is in here primarily for her bevy of resistances to common special attacking types, chief among them her resistance to Fire. Her immunity to ground type moves also comes in handy, as you might might expect it would. She's a potent special wall, and a vital phazer as well, preventing special boosters and substitute users from walking all over my team. Offensively though, she leaves much to be desired, rarely able to hit switch-ins for anything significant and only rarely able to sweep. She's also extremely vulnerable to Tyranitar and Scizor, so I have to be careful about putting her in battle lest she get pursuited to death.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Dragon Tail

Gyarados was chosen both for his bulk and ground immunity, making any attempt to Earthquake Jirachi or Tentacruel into a risky move. As a standard Rest-Talk set, Gyarados is a secondary wall and primary shuffler for my team with the added bonus of status absorption should I need it. Dragon Tail is especially fun to use against Volt-Turn teams, which rely on reliable switches to pull off their strategy. There’s nothing more satisfying that wearing down and forcing out Rotom-W as it attempts to switch in for an easy kill. Intimidate also gives him a terrific utility option, allowing him to easily neuter the opponent’s physical attackers temporarily. Rest gives him great longevity and allows him to sponge status for the team when I need him too. Mostly what he has to look out for are random electric coverage moves, which can end his trolling in a heartbeat. Barring that though, he can stick around all day, preventing any momentum from building on the opponent’s end of the field.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Conkledurr is the main offensive presence on my team, with few of the others being able to punch through walls like he can, and none able to sweep teams like him. He’s a standard Bulk-Up set, with Payback functioning as his coverage move. Gengar is everywhere in this meta so the choice is an easy one for me, as Payback allows Conkledurr to instantly remove the annoyance from the match. It also allows him to deal with some Psychic types that think him an easy kill. Conkledurr actually doesn’t do much defensively for my team, but what he does offensively is astounding. Mach Punch allows him to clean up weakened teams with ease, and he’s got the bulk and power to muscle his way through multiple checks before going down. The fighting coverage is invaluable, and without it I’d have no reliable way to deal with innumerable top teir threats such as Tyranitar. Many of my games end with Conkledurr sweeps, and it’s not hard to see why.

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect
- Ice Beam

Much like Starmie before her, Tentacruel is here for almost the exclusive purpose of spinning. It can also strike back should I need to, but usually it's in here for the singular purpose of removing hazards, which it does quite well indeed. The lack of a recovery move is a problem though, as I can't really use Rain Dish without any rain (hence the choice of Liquid Ooze for an ability). Still, better synergy and added survivability does make her an upgrade over Starmie, and hazard control is vital to this team's success. The choice to not run Toxic Spikes might seem odd at first, but they tend to conflict with the paralysis spreading my team relies on and affect precious few Pokemon in OU anyway. I decided the extra coverage from Ice Beam and scouting uses of Protect benefited my team more.

Previous members: This section is shamelessly stolen from Pokemazter's thread, seeing as I find it fits the process I used with this team better than a team building process section.

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
Replaced in favour of Latios

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
Replaced in favour of Tentacruel

Theats: I've got a bit of idea of which Pokemon threaten my team most now, so I'm compiling a list of the threats I've identified so far. Expect this list to be updated as I encounter more threats and change my team to compensate.

Latios: Jirachi can usually handle it as long as she's in good health, but once she's weakened or eliminated my team has a very hard time stopping it. Special mention goes to rain variants, who can power through Jirachi with Rain boosted Surfs.
Celebi: The reason for this is that I simply lack any super-effective moves powerful enough to eliminate it, except on Conkledurr who gets wasted by Psychic. Offensively it doesn't do a lot, but between its recovery moves and Natural cure I just can't break it down.
Hydreigon: It's coverage just covers my team too well, with nothing being able to take his whole set. My only saving grace is that Conkledurr can OHKO it with Drain Punch, but getting that punch off is very hard thanks to Conkledurr's fairly low special defence.
Venusaur: I can pretty much kiss my ass goodbye if this guy shows up in the sun, as nothing I have can KO it quickly and nothing I have can take a combination of Sludge Bomb and either HP Fire or Earthquake. Thankfully, it's not very common.
Jirachi: It doesn't do much damage but good lord can it ever hang around forever. Conkledurr can manage usually if he's around, but there are circumstances that can lead to his failure as well. I just don't have anything strong enough to quickly eliminate it, and it's usually paralyzed half my team by the time I do get rid of it.
Jellicent: The same deal as Jirachi. Doesn't do much harm usually, but I'll be damned if I can break through it easily. Again, Conk is my main answer but again, there are many scenarios where he can't and I'm in a for a long haul if he's been removed from the picture.

Reuniclus: Paticularly the Clam Mind variety, which is very hard for my team to break through. The Trick Room variety can also deal heavy damage, but isn't as annoying.
Conkledurr: Conkledurr can be a threat due to the lack of powerful special attacks on my team, though it finds it hard to break through Gyarados even if it has Stone Edge.
Gyarados: This is pure theorymonning as I haven't encountered one since losing Starmie, but the lack of electric moves will likely make it hard for me to take down. At least my phazers can prevent it from boosting.
Landorus: Generally easy enough to handle, but if it has the right moves it can be annoying. HP Ice prevents Tangrowth from completely walling it, and Gyarados is potentially vulnerable to Stone edge. U-Turn wrecks Latias. It can beat Conk if he hasn't boosted yet and the other two are weak to Earthquake. The good news is that it rarely uses all these moves at once so I usually have a way to deal with it.
Toxicroak: Similarly to Landorus, I can handle it pretty much no matter what moveset it has but it can beat each of my Pokemon if it has the right moves, making defeating it a bit of a crapshoot. Ice Punch can prevent Latios from phazing it, and Substitute can do the same for Gyarados. I can usually beat it one way or another though... it's just a little difficult at times.

Conclusion:

I’d like to point out that I have started testing this team, and though I haven’t encountered any real resistance yet I’m still relatively low on the ladder, so I haven’t faced the worst the metagame can offer yet. I’d like to hear suggestions on how I can improve this more, so please feel free to throw your ideas out there. Just be aware that if I have doubts about your ideas that I WILL challenge them. This isn’t in an attempt to make you look stupid or anything; it’s intended to stimulate discussion so we can pinpoint what would really work best.

So without further ado, commence rating my friends!

Right off the bat I can see that you are going to have trouble taking strong rain attacks, especially Starmie. Jirachi, your best chance against a rain Starmie, can't really hold his own against him; natural cure and a resistance to steel makes him just a little nuisance. Your Starmie can take an opposing one on, but do you really want to leave it up to a flip of a coin?

First, move the some Defense EV's from Gyrados to Special Defense. IMO the one on-site will suffice, with 252 HP/ 80 Def / 176 Sp De. It helps with Volcarona a bit too.

Now don't laugh at me for suggesting this, but I'm going to reccomend ahem Lanturn over Heatran. Yes that's right.
[pimg]171[/pimg]
Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Heal Bell

Lanturn sticks with the theme of screwing Volt Turn by taking on Rotom-W like a champ. Of course, he is also a great Starmie counter too. Lanturn has very good synergy with Gyarados, since he covers Gyarados' electric weakness, while Gyarados covers Lanturn's ground weakness. Lanturn's Heal Bell will make Gyarados' Rest a much more reliable recovery move. Scald fishes for the burn on potential Scizors. On the less gimmicky side there is Celebi, but you seem to have a disdain for a Fire weakness, but I will post what I think would be the best Celebi set for your team. Celebi would accomplish the same thing as Lanturn.
[pimg]251[/pimg]
Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Heal Bell
- Recover

Good luck with your team.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, interesting team that you've got here, man

Ironically, your team has a bit of trouble with standard Volt Turn offense, specifically due to the damage that Scizor + Rotom-W is capable of doing to your team, as well as the ease at which they can switch in (Scizor has a free switch against Jirachi, while Rotom-W, especially Scarf variants, can switch in against everything except Tangrowth and Conkeldurr without too much trouble). It's not really that the two damage your core much, thanks to Tangrowth, but they easily gain a lot of momentum, which can allow the opponent to set up things like Terrakion and Volcarona, both of which can hurt your team, easily. A number of these problems can be handled simply by using Gliscor over Tangrowth. While Tangrowth can take repeated U-Turns without too much trouble, it doesn't do anything to stop the general momentum behind Volt Turn offense. On the other hand, thanks to Protect and its nifty immunities, Gliscor is capable of forcing an opponent using Volt Turn offense into situations where they lose all the momentum that the team has.

Continuing, you have a bit of trouble against Life Orb Starmie if the opponent has Rain up (and in general suffer against a lot of teams with strong special attackers that are capable of breaking through Jirachi). Because of this, I highly suggest using Calm Mind Roar Latias over Heatran. You get a bunch of nifty added resistances, as well as the ground immunity, have the option for another end game win condition, while also having the ability to mess with Rain teams pretty badly. The added special bulk Latias offers is also really helpful for your team in better handling Sun sweepers, such as Venusaur (especially the ones that go mixed to handle Heatran).

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Impish | Poison Heal
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SPe
Earthquake / Protect / Substitute / Ice Fang

Latias@Leftovers
Timid | Levitate
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Calm Mind / Dragon Pulse / Roost / Roar

anyways, cool team, good luck!

Right off the bat I can see that you are going to have trouble taking strong rain attacks, especially Starmie. Jirachi, your best chance against a rain Starmie, can't really hold his own against him; natural cure and a resistance to steel makes him just a little nuisance. Your Starmie can take an opposing one on, but do you really want to leave it up to a flip of a coin?

First, move the some Defense EV's from Gyrados to Special Defense. IMO the one on-site will suffice, with 252 HP/ 80 Def / 176 Sp De. It helps with Volcarona a bit too.

Now don't laugh at me for suggesting this, but I'm going to reccomend ahem Lanturn over Heatran. Yes that's right.
[pimg]171[/pimg]
Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Heal Bell

Lanturn sticks with the theme of screwing Volt Turn by taking on Rotom-W like a champ. Of course, he is also a great Starmie counter too. Lanturn has very good synergy with Gyarados, since he covers Gyarados' electric weakness, while Gyarados covers Lanturn's ground weakness. Lanturn's Heal Bell will make Gyarados' Rest a much more reliable recovery move. Scald fishes for the burn on potential Scizors. On the less gimmicky side there is Celebi, but you seem to have a disdain for a Fire weakness, but I will post what I think would be the best Celebi set for your team. Celebi would accomplish the same thing as Lanturn.
[pimg]251[/pimg]
Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Heal Bell
- Recover

Good luck with your team.
Lanturn, now there's a novel idea! It does seem to fit the niche I have though. I do worry a bit about the loss of a strong fire type move as it has lots of uses, but I think I might just give it a shot. I actually haven't encountered much rain in my testing, and looking at my team it does seem I'd have some issues. Starmie by itself is no real threat though, since Jirachi easily handles it and Tangrowth can take it out depending on the set. Celebi is a good option I know from experience, but I'll be damned if I don't like the idea of using another low tier Pokemon.

Hey there, interesting team that you've got here, man

Ironically, your team has a bit of trouble with standard Volt Turn offense, specifically due to the damage that Scizor + Rotom-W is capable of doing to your team, as well as the ease at which they can switch in (Scizor has a free switch against Jirachi, while Rotom-W, especially Scarf variants, can switch in against everything except Tangrowth and Conkeldurr without too much trouble). It's not really that the two damage your core much, thanks to Tangrowth, but they easily gain a lot of momentum, which can allow the opponent to set up things like Terrakion and Volcarona, both of which can hurt your team, easily. A number of these problems can be handled simply by using Gliscor over Tangrowth. While Tangrowth can take repeated U-Turns without too much trouble, it doesn't do anything to stop the general momentum behind Volt Turn offense. On the other hand, thanks to Protect and its nifty immunities, Gliscor is capable of forcing an opponent using Volt Turn offense into situations where they lose all the momentum that the team has.

Continuing, you have a bit of trouble against Life Orb Starmie if the opponent has Rain up (and in general suffer against a lot of teams with strong special attackers that are capable of breaking through Jirachi). Because of this, I highly suggest using Calm Mind Roar Latias over Heatran. You get a bunch of nifty added resistances, as well as the ground immunity, have the option for another end game win condition, while also having the ability to mess with Rain teams pretty badly. The added special bulk Latias offers is also really helpful for your team in better handling Sun sweepers, such as Venusaur (especially the ones that go mixed to handle Heatran).

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Impish | Poison Heal
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SPe
Earthquake / Protect / Substitute / Ice Fang

Latias@Leftovers
Timid | Levitate
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Calm Mind / Dragon Pulse / Roost / Roar

anyways, cool team, good luck!
Trust me, I don't have trouble with standard volt-turn. That's one strategy I've encountered PLENTY of during testing (unsurprisingly) and I know from experience it performs well against it. Momentum is not an issue so long as I play appropriately, since I have ways of ensuring it doesn't get away from me. Gliscor doesn't jell with the team the same way Tangrowth does (partially because it was built around Tangrowth to begin with), and his weakness to Hydro Pump from Rotom-W is killer. Tangrowth is great because it eases prediction; it doesn't matter if Rotom-W uses Hydro-Pump (or more likely) Volt-Switch; my move choice doesn't change. However I really do think I should put Protect on something, as it is a terrific move against Volt-Switch. I don't know how I ended up without Protect in the first place honestly.

Latias on the other hand sounds like a good substitute, seeing as it doesn't compound any of my weaknesses and gives me another option for forcing out boosters. It's good against both rain and Sun too, which helps with the anti-meta theme. Yes, in fact I think I'll give Latias a try... seems like a very good fit.

I've seen this team in another RMT before (who also said his is anti-VoltTurn), BUT again, how can you say this is anti-VoltTurn if you have 2 pokes weak to electric and 2 pokes weak to bug? Your team actually can dissolve Scizor, but you seem have problems with the 2 other voltturn pokes: Rotom-W and Landorus. Even the rare Mienshao can get away with team late game.

To fix this problem though, you might want to switch Starmie with Tentacruel (better fits you team and better spinner) and Tangrowth with Breloom. I view Tangrowth as a set-up fodder in OU for pokes such as Lum Berry DDnite. With Breloom, this won't be the case anymore. And Breloom has a chance againts the common VoltTurn pokes thru Spore and Offense.

I've seen this team in another RMT before (who also said his is anti-VoltTurn), BUT again, how can you say this is anti-VoltTurn if you have 2 pokes weak to electric and 2 pokes weak to bug? Your team actually can dissolve Scizor, but you seem have problems with the 2 other voltturn pokes: Rotom-W and Landorus. Even the rare Mienshao can get away with team late game.

To fix this problem though, you might want to switch Starmie with Tentacruel (better fits you team and better spinner) and Tangrowth with Breloom. I view Tangrowth as a set-up fodder in OU for pokes such as Lum Berry DDnite. With Breloom, this won't be the case anymore. And Breloom has a chance againts the common VoltTurn pokes thru Spore and Offense.
*sigh* have you actually tried to use this team or read through the post? Just because I have two weaknesses to each of the moves doesn't mean the team is wrecked by it. Look at U-Turn for example. Tangrowth may be technically "weak" to it, but thanks to its defenses it actually takes less damage from it than most pokemon that bug strikes neutrally. Starmie, on the other hand, just doesn't give a shit since it only comes in to spin anyway. However, I do think that Tentacruel probably does work better, as much as I'll regret losing the speed, Starmie really doesn't help as much as Tentacruel would. Starmie has been the weakest link on my team in many was so I think that particular change is a good one.

And on the volt turn side you're probably staring right at Gyarados, but I assure you Gyarados is almost as essential to dismantling it as Tangrowth it. Rotom-W and other electric types can't switch in because they just get Dragon-tailed out before they can do anything. In a way I'm turning their own strategy against them by wracking up damage on them gradually rather than vice-versa.

And I won't be switching Tangrowth for Breloom, as Tangrowth functions very well in its role. It threatens Rotom-W, Landorus, AND Scizor though Giga Drain, Stun Spore and hp fire respectively. What really sets it apart though is the ability for Knock-Off to cripple all three; none of them like losing their choice items. Finally, I'm not sure how you can call a Pokemon with knock off and Stun Spore "set up bait". Lum DDNite doesn't fare too well when paralyzed you'll find, and few Pokemon are capable of paralyzing him reliably as Tangrowth is.

@The others:
I hadn't even thought of Zapdos, but now that you mention it it does have a lot of potential against volt-turn. I might try and find somewhere to insert it onto the team, since it really seems like it might be able to do something helpful.

-------

Anyway, a little update, I've tested out Latias and found the results to be mixed. While it certainly functions better defensively than Heatran did, I find it extremely lacking on the offensive side, rarely finding an opportunity to set up since opponents tend to just switch on her to something she can't scratch, and she's not really capable of hurting anything on the switch, forcing her to switch as well. Still, I think part of this might be to the way I'm playing with her so I'm going to keep with her for a bit longer.

Thanks for the posts people, I've definitely gotten a few ideas from you and I expect the team to improve further as I continue trying out your suggestions. Keep at it!

EDIT: Also, I don't know how you think you've seen this team before in another RMT, because I didn't reference anyone else's team when putting this together. Mind showing me what team you're talking about? I'm curious now.

Don't worry, he gave me the same lecture in my anti-Volt-Turn team. It's the "OU Team" Tab in my signature.

The only big change I could see here, and it is entirely optional, is Parashuffler Dragonite over Gyarados, as it performs basically the same role on the team. Its bulk allows it to even take on Rotom-W without the fear of losing to Volt Switch. However, it does not pack Earthquake nor a pseudo immunity to status. 100% optional, but you'll probably find that it works.

I find Tangrowth to be iffy on this team. Sub Punch or Bulk Up Breloom would be much more beneficial to the team, as all I see Tangrowth's job on this team is to attempt to break down physical threats without KO-ing them back. After one Bulk-Up, CB Scizor's U-turn becomes a 2HKO without Poison Heal recovery on Breloom, and after two, not much will be stopping it. Scarf Rotom-W's Hidden Power Fire only does around 60%HP, and with a Seed Bomb or Drain Punch at its disposal, Breloom busts it up badly. I seriously recommend giving it a test at least.

Good luck on your anti-Volt-Turn quest. It's a fun anti-metagame.

Sets
Code:
Dragonite@Leftovers
Multiscale
Careful Nature
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
-Thunder Wave
-Roost
-Substitute
-Dragon Tail

Breloom@Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Careful Nature
236 HP / 212 SpD / 60 Spe
-Spore
-Bulk Up
-Seed Bomb
-Drain Punch

Seriously, I'm tired of people telling me that "this team looks weak to volt-turn". Do I have to post logs to show you people how this team dismantles it? I honest to goodness have 0 trouble with volt-turn, it's the rain users that tend to give me the most trouble, since one of my water resists has crap special defense and the other is weak to thunder, though since I added Latias that hasn't been as bad.

Seriously, I think I'm going to find a log of me absolutely demolishing a volt-turn team, there was one in particular that was really damn standard with Scizor, Landorus, Rotom-W, Celebi, Terrakion, the works. Absolutely wrecked its shit. It's not just about the weakness people.

Anyway, I'll probably edit the changes I've made in tomorrow (just don't feel up to it tonight) the quick summary is I added in windsong's Latias and Vein's Tentacruel. I've gotten my ranking up to around 1220 before losing really stupidly to this one guy using UU pokemon (I just plain failed that match, wasn't the team's fault) and getting haxed out of a second one. The team overall fuctions well against most teams but has trouble breaking through certain walls, especially once Conkledurr is gone. Sdef Jirachi is really annoying. While it doesn't do much to me it takes for freaking ever to take down. Alakazam is rough too if Jirachi is gone, seeing as nothing else I have can outspeed it or really take its attacks. There are others too but I can't really think of them at the moment.

I'll probably give Breloom a shot since two people now have recommended it. I'm still not certain it'll outperform Tangrowth though; seriously, Regenerator is freakin' awesome.

I'll probably give Breloom a shot since two people now have recommended it. I'm still not certain it'll outperform Tangrowth though; seriously, Regenerator is freakin' awesome.
Defensively, no. Tangrowth's natural bulk is one thing is has going for it. Offensively, you'll definitely notice the increase of power.

Alright, I've updated the post to reflect my current team as well as added a frighteningly substantial threat list. Looking at that list I'm surprised I do as well as I do with it. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions people could make with how to rectify it. One thing I'm noticing is that a strong fire type attack could rectify a lot of those weaknesses...

And @Pokemazter, that's the reason why I use Tangrowth over Breloom. That bulk and longevity is what I really have been needing. The offensive power gained seems mostly redundant beside Conkledurr though, since they tend to overlap a lot, and I'm relunctant to replace Conk and Tangrowth with Breloom and something else since Conk does such an amazing job, and you have to admit it runs Bulk Up better than Breloom does.

EDIT: For those of you doubting this team's capacity against Volt-Turn, here's a log of my team winning a very well played standard volt-turn team:

Tier: Standard OU

Mode: Singles

Rule: Unrated

Rule: Sleep Clause

Rule: Freeze Clause

Rule: Species Clause

Rule: Wifi Battle

Your team: Jirachi / Conkeldurr / Tangrowth / Latias / Gyarados / Tentacruel

Opponent's team: Rotom-W / Celebi / Tyranitar / Terrakion / Scizor / Landorus

Jimera0[test]: volt turn, figured

Uncharted: Im using a standard team

Uncharted: so that we can test your strategy

Uncharted: Im a pretty bad battler btw

Uncharted: lol

Jimera0[test]: well it'd work better if you didn't know tangrowth's tricks

Jimera0[test] sent out Jirachi!

Uncharted sent out Grim Reaper! (Landorus)

Start of turn 1

Jimera0[test] called Jirachi back!

Jimera0[test] sent out Gyarados!

Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's Grim Reaper!

Uncharted's Grim Reaper's Attack fell!

Uncharted's Grim Reaper used U-turn!

It's not very effective...

Gyarados lost 23 HP! (5% of its health)

Uncharted: lets pretend i dont

Uncharted called Grim Reaper back!

Uncharted sent out GetInMaHole! (Rotom-W)

Gyarados restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Uncharted: ;)

Jimera0[test]: ok make sure to sack your scizor then :P

Uncharted: ok

Uncharted: i know tangrowth outspeeds

Start of turn 2

Jimera0[test] called Gyarados back!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole used Trick!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole switched items with Jirachi!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole obtained one Leftovers!

Jirachi obtained one Choice Scarf!

Uncharted: ok

Start of turn 3

Jirachi used Stealth Rock!

Pointed stones float in the air around Uncharted's team!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole used Volt Switch!

A critical hit!

Jirachi lost 166 HP! (41% of its health)

Jimera0[test]: well that was annoying

Uncharted: no wishes

Uncharted: nice

Uncharted called GetInMaHole back!

Uncharted sent out Juggernaut! (Tyranitar)

Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's Juggernaut!

Uncharted's Juggernaut's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted's Juggernaut restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 4

Jimera0[test] called Jirachi back!

Jimera0[test] sent out Conkeldurr!

Uncharted's Juggernaut used Stealth Rock!

Pointed stones float in the air around Jimera0[test]'s team!

The sandstorm rages!

Conkeldurr is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Conkeldurr restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Uncharted: Celebi KO's with psychic?

Start of turn 5

Uncharted called Juggernaut back!

Uncharted sent out PENIS!! (Celebi)

Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's PENIS!!

Conkeldurr used Bulk Up!

Conkeldurr's Attack rose!

Conkeldurr's Defense rose!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted's PENIS! is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Uncharted's PENIS! restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Jimera0[test]: didn't know for sure it it had it or not

Jimera0[test]: a lot don't carry it

Jimera0[test]: now I do know though :P

Uncharted: lets test

Start of turn 6

Jimera0[test] called Conkeldurr back!

Jimera0[test] sent out Latias!

Pointed stones dug into Latias!

Uncharted's PENIS! used Giga Drain!

Latias lost 48 HP! (13% of its health)

Latias had its energy drained!

The sandstorm rages!

Latias is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Latias restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Uncharted: i thought youd run

Jimera0[test]: yeah

Jimera0[test]: I wasn't going to risk conk with tyranitar still around though

Uncharted: i guess

Start of turn 7

Jimera0[test] called Latias back!

Pointed stones dug into Gyarados!

Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's PENIS!!

Uncharted's PENIS!'s Attack fell!

Uncharted called PENIS! back!

Uncharted sent out ButterFinger! (Scizor)

Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's ButterFinger!

The sandstorm rages!

Gyarados is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Jimera0[test]: predictable switch was predictable

Uncharted: yup

Start of turn 8

Uncharted called ButterFinger back!

Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's GetInMaHole!

Gyarados used Dragon Tail!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole lost 20% of its health!

Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's Grim Reaper!

Uncharted's Grim Reaper was dragged out!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: but the switches are taking their toll

Jimera0[test]: not as much as you'd think lol

Uncharted: die

Start of turn 9

Uncharted's Grim Reaper used U-turn!

Gyarados lost 34 HP! (8% of its health)

Uncharted: oh

The attack of Gyarados missed!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Jimera0[test]: figured it

Uncharted: yahoo

Jimera0[test]: fucking miss

Start of turn 10

Jimera0[test] sent out Tangrowth!

Pointed stones dug into Tangrowth!

Tangrowth lost 107 HP! (26% of its health)

Uncharted: I swear

Uncharted: i would really have brought scizor in atm

Jimera0[test]: that's the idea

The sandstorm rages!

Tangrowth is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Tangrowth restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 11

Jimera0[test] called Tangrowth back!

Pointed stones dug into Jirachi!

Uncharted's PENIS! used U-turn!

Jirachi lost 47 HP! (11% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

Start of turn 12

Uncharted's Grim Reaper used Earthquake!

It's super effective!

Jirachi lost 166 HP! (41% of its health)

Jirachi fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: gotcha

Pointed stones dug into Tangrowth!

Start of turn 13

Tangrowth used Knock Off!

It's super effective!

Uncharted's PENIS! lost 8% of its health!

Tangrowth knocked off Uncharted's PENIS!'s Leftovers!

The sandstorm rages!

Start of turn 14

Uncharted's PENIS! used Hidden Power!

It's super effective!

Tangrowth lost 254 HP! (62% of its health)

Tangrowth used Stun Spore!

Uncharted's PENIS! is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: was afraid of that

Start of turn 15

Jimera0[test] sent out Tentacruel!

Pointed stones dug into Tentacruel!

Uncharted's PENIS! used U-turn!

Tentacruel lost 22 HP! (6% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Tentacruel is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Tentacruel restored a little HP using its Black Sludge!

Start of turn 16

It's super effective!

Tentacruel lost 204 HP! (56% of its health)

Uncharted: y u no like rocks

Jimera0[test]: lol

Uncharted sent out Taijutsu! (Terrakion)

Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's Taijutsu!

Jimera0[test]: notice you're getting worn down yourself

Tentacruel used Rapid Spin!

Uncharted's Taijutsu lost 1% of its health!

Tentacruel blew away Stealth Rock!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: lol ik

Uncharted: please no miss

Start of turn 17

Tentacruel used Protect!

Tentacruel protected itself!

Uncharted's Taijutsu used Stone Edge!

Tentacruel protected itself!

The sandstorm rages!

Start of turn 18

Jimera0[test] called Tentacruel back!

The attack of Uncharted's Taijutsu missed!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: bs

Start of turn 19

Uncharted called Taijutsu back!

Conkeldurr used Drain Punch!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole lost 29% of its health!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole fainted!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole had its energy drained!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: shit

Jimera0[test]: that's how I usually get rotom-W, simply wearing down tactics

Start of turn 20

Conkeldurr lost 220 HP! (57% of its health)

Conkeldurr used Bulk Up!

Conkeldurr's Attack rose!

Conkeldurr's Defense rose!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: that hit harder than expected

Start of turn 21

Jimera0[test] called Conkeldurr back!

It had no effect!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: sand

Jimera0[test]: yeah still didn't expect that much

Start of turn 22

Gyarados used Waterfall!

It's super effective!

Uncharted's Juggernaut lost 45% of its health!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: im going to lose

Start of turn 23

Uncharted's Juggernaut used Thunder Wave!

Conkeldurr is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: gut's boost ftw

Start of turn 24

Uncharted's Juggernaut used Fire Blast!

Conkeldurr lost 105 HP! (27% of its health)

Conkeldurr is paralyzed! It can't move!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: heh

Jimera0[test]: bullshit

Jimera0[test]: hax

Jimera0[test]: D:

Start of turn 25

Conkeldurr is paralyzed! It can't move!

Uncharted's Juggernaut used Fire Blast!

Conkeldurr lost 56 HP! (14% of its health)

Conkeldurr fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: booyah

Jimera0[test]: oh cmon

Jimera0[test]: that was bullshit

Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's Juggernaut!

Uncharted's Juggernaut's Attack fell!

Start of turn 26

Gyarados used Waterfall!

It's super effective!

Uncharted's Juggernaut lost 48% of its health!

Uncharted's Juggernaut flinched!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: ik you have rest

Uncharted: oshit

Start of turn 27

Gyarados used Waterfall!

Uncharted's PENIS! lost 14% of its health!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: retribution!

Start of turn 28

Jimera0[test] sent out Tentacruel!

Uncharted's PENIS! used Giga Drain!

Tentacruel lost 93 HP! (25% of its health)

Tentacruel fainted!

Tentacruel had its energy drained!

Uncharted's PENIS! is hurt by Tentacruel's Liquid Ooze!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted's PENIS! fainted!

Jimera0[test]: liquid ooze!

Jimera0[test]: *trollface*

Start of turn 29

Uncharted's Grim Reaper used Stone Edge!

It's super effective!

Gyarados lost 170 HP! (43% of its health)

Gyarados used Waterfall!

It's super effective!

Uncharted's Grim Reaper lost 50% of its health!

Uncharted's Grim Reaper fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: miss

Uncharted: observe

Start of turn 30

Jimera0[test] sent out Latias!

A critical hit!

Latias lost 271 HP! (74% of its health)

Latias fainted!

Uncharted's Taijutsu is hurt by its Life Orb!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: oh

Jimera0[test]: I call that opposite of a miss

Uncharted: not bad

Start of turn 31

Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's Juggernaut!

Uncharted's Juggernaut's Attack fell!

The sandstorm rages!

Start of turn 32

Gyarados used Rest!

Gyarados went to sleep and became healthy!

Uncharted's Juggernaut used Crunch!

Gyarados lost 67 HP! (17% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

Start of turn 33

Gyarados is fast asleep!

Gyarados used Sleep Talk!

Uncharted's Taijutsu lost 18% of its health!

Uncharted's ButterFinger was dragged out!

The sandstorm rages!

Start of turn 34

Gyarados is fast asleep!

Gyarados used Sleep Talk!

Gyarados used Waterfall!

Uncharted's ButterFinger lost 33% of its health!

Uncharted's ButterFinger used U-turn!

Gyarados lost 79 HP! (20% of its health)

Uncharted called ButterFinger back!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: miss

Uncharted: i will

Uncharted: promise

Start of turn 35

Tangrowth lost 144 HP! (35% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: and with regenerator you achieved nothing

Start of turn 36

Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's Taijutsu!

Uncharted's Taijutsu's Attack fell!

Uncharted's Taijutsu used Close Combat!

Gyarados lost 75 HP! (19% of its health)

Uncharted's Taijutsu's Defense fell!

Uncharted's Taijutsu's Sp. Def. fell!

The sandstorm rages!

Start of turn 37

It's super effective!

Gyarados lost 173 HP! (43% of its health)

Gyarados fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: yess

Start of turn 38

Tangrowth used Giga Drain!

It's super effective!

Uncharted's Juggernaut lost 13% of its health!

Uncharted's Juggernaut fainted!

Uncharted's Juggernaut had its energy drained!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: you think x-scizor will ko?

Start of turn 39

Uncharted's Taijutsu used Close Combat!

Tangrowth lost 184 HP! (45% of its health)

Uncharted: no

Uncharted's Taijutsu's Defense fell!

Uncharted's Taijutsu's Sp. Def. fell!

Uncharted's Taijutsu fainted!

Tangrowth used Giga Drain!

But there was no target...

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: fuck

Uncharted: i lost

Uncharted sent out ButterFinger! (Scizor)

Jimera0[test]: yup

Uncharted: but it was a good game

Jimera0[test]: yeah

Start of turn 40

Uncharted's ButterFinger used Bullet Punch!

Tangrowth lost 124 HP! (30% of its health)

Tangrowth used Hidden Power!

It's super effective!

Uncharted's ButterFinger lost 29% of its health!

Uncharted's ButterFinger fainted!

Jimera0[test] won the battle!

While this battle was quite close, it is worth pointing out that Uncharted here (A.K.A Ripamon) had read this thread and as such already knew my team and strategy. There was also some minor hax such as Dragon Tail missing and Conk getting FP'd twice in a row that caused some problems on my end, whereas I barely got any hax myself. Still managed to win. And Tangrowth was the reason why too!

I agree with using Lanturn entirely. However, I suggest you use volt switch instead of t-bolt. Ironic, isn't it? Well, it maybe, but it's still awesome.
May I also suggest restalk milotic instead of gyarados? You could run rain dance/rest/dragon tail/sleep talk. You already have a ground immunity, and your gyarados would die from volt switch (see i'm not the only ironic guy here :P). Seeing as you're a defensive team, you might as well use a bulky water type. The rain milotic provides heals your tenta and negates jira+tangro's fire weaknesses.
other than that, though, this teams is pretty solid. I can tell you put effort in this. Keep up the good work!

Just a bit of an update. It seems my team as it is posted in the thread is actually pretty good as is. I'm currently at 350th in OU with 1239 points on the test account I've been using it on, and I'd probably still be going up had I not decided to stop laddering due to how late it is. I also managed to take down a Volt-Turn team used by Dhalia (requrest the logs if you don't believe me) though only with some luck thanks to Dhalia's damn Latios which nearly shredded my entire team. Ended up being a hell of a comeback... though I made a lot of mistakes to get me to the point where I needed to have a comeback.

I'm considering trying Sleep Powder instead of Stun Spore on Tangrowth, though I suspect that'll be a fairly nuetral change. Perhaps more importantly I'm also considering trying Thunderwave on Jirachi as a much more reliable way of inducing paralysis. I've found that Jirachi rarely get's the opportunity to paralyze ground types on the switch anyway, so Thunderwave is probably preferrable.

I'm definitely not switching to Breloom though, as Tangrowth has time and time again proven insanely vital to my team. I am reluctant to try Lanturn as well, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a phazing move and I've found myself constantly thankful that I have two of them. Gyarados and Latias make a great phazing duo, with Gyarados being able to get rid of the physical boosters and Latias able to do the same with the special boosters. Still, Latias is one of the most replacable members of my team so I'm still open to suggestions. I'd just like to keep Roar on whatever the replacement is if possible.

Also up for a potential switch is Tentacruel, though I really don't know what I'd switch her with. She's a great spinner, don't get me wrong. I almost never fail in getting hazards off the field with her. She just doesn't add anything to my team beyond spinning, and I really wish I could find a way to fix that. Maybe I just need a change in moveset...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)