Arcanine

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[Overview]

<p>With well rounded stats and access to Intimidate, Arcanine can play both an offensive and a defensive role on a team. BW has been kind to Arcanine, providing it with Close Combat and Wild Charge, thus allowing it to have a respectable physical movepool. Although its typing provides Arcanine with a strong offense, its weaknesses to Rock- and Water-type moves can often leave it in a tight spot. Nevertheless, Arcanine is a Pokemon that can fit well on many teams, showing that this old dog still has a few tricks up its sleeve.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Close Combat / Wild Charge
move 3: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb / Fire Gem / Fighting Gem
nature: Adamant
ability: Intimidate
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flare Blitz is Arcanine's primary STAB move, dealing heavy damage to its foes. Close Combat provides good coverage in tandem with Flare Blitz, and allows Arcanine to strike hard against many Pokemon that resist Fire-type moves. Wild Charge can be used instead of Close Combat because it provides Arcanine with a better option against Water-type Pokemon. However, Wild Charge is weaker than Close Combat against most Pokemon. ExtremeSpeed provides Arcanine with a strong priority move. Since ExtremeSpeed has +2 Priority, it can allow Arcanine to pick off weakened Pokemon, even if they have Prankster as an ability. Protect rounds the moveset off, giving Arcanine a way to block incoming attacks for a turn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided for the set maximize Arcanine's Speed and Attack, while holding a Life Orb further powers up Arcanine's offense. As Life Orb is a commonly used item for many Pokemon, Fire Gem or Fighting Gem can be good alternatives. The former makes Flare Blitz an incredibly powerful attack, allowing Arcanine to OHKO Ferrothorn through an Occa Berry regardless of its defensive EVs; the latter strengthens Close Combat, giving Arcanine a chance to KO Tyranitar through a Chople Berry.</p>

<p>An alternate EV spread of 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe gives Arcanine some extra survivability. 60 Speed EVs give Arcanine 123 Speed, allowing it to outspeed Modest Ludicolo outside of the rain. Crunch can be used as an alternative move over Close Combat or Wild Charge, allowing Arcanine to deal damage to Ghost-type Pokemon such as Chandelure and Jellicent.</p>

<p>Arcanine's Intimidate support reduces the threat of physical attackers, allowing more fragile sweepers such as Latios, Thundurus, and Choice Scarf Abomasnow, to survive a wide variety of physical attacks. Aside from this, Arcanine pairs up well with other Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Hitmontop or Salamence, providing a double layer of attack drops to the opposing team. Gastrodon also makes a good partner for Arcanine. Intimidate allows Gastrodon to stay in play longer, as it prevents Arcanine from being targeted by Water-type moves. In turn, Arcanine can deal with Grass-type Pokemon that threaten Gastrodon with Flare Blitz.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Arcanine's other abilities, Flash Fire and Justified, can be used, though they aren't quite as useful as Intimidate. Flash Fire gives Arcanine immunity against Fire-type moves, thus allowing its team to better handle Fire-type Pokemon. Justifed can allow Arcanine to boost its Attack when hit by Dark-type attacks and works well with an ally with Beat Up for a +4 Attack Boost. Arcanine's stats make it possible for it to utilize a Choice Scarf moveset, but it will often find that being locked into one move is undesirable. A White Herb can be given to Arcanine to allow it to be unphazed by an opponent's Intimidate or be used to counteract Close Combat's defense drops. Arcanine has a number of supportive options at its disposal, including Safeguard, Will-O-Wisp, and Helping Hand, which can allow it to play a support role. Utilizing a defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD with a Careful nature allows Arcanine to withstand numerous attacks, including a Timid Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor, while supporting the team with Helping Hand. Finally, it is possible to run a mixed set for Arcanine by utilizing Heat Wave on a moveset. Due to Arcanine's shallow special movepool, it's not recommended to try a full special attack moveset.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Fire-type Pokemon, Arcanine's effectivity is dampened by the presence of rain and Water-type Pokemon. While Wild Charge can help its case, a lot of the common Water-type Pokemon, such as Ludicolo, Kingdra and Gastrodon, have a secondary typing that is resistant to Electric-type attacks. Aside from Water-type Pokemon, Dragon-type Pokemon, such as Latios and Garchomp can take Arcanine on with relative ease, though Latios will need to watch out for ExtremeSpeed and the potential Crunch. Chandelure is immune to Arcanine's main offensive moves and only has to watch out for vairants that run Crunch. Jellicent is in a similar position as Chandelure, though it isn't immune to Flare Blitz. It will also have to watch out for Wild Charge.</p>

JRank

Jonny
I'd slash Wild Charge over Close Combat, the only thing Close Combat can get are Dark-, Rock-, and Normal-types, only one of which poses a significant problem, and being able to scare Gyarados and the several other waters that try to rain on Arcanine's parade (puns hurrah) is much better. You also don't drop your defenses, though the recoil from Wild Charge isn't exactly amazing. Mention White Herb in OO, lets you go head-to-head with other Intimidate users and keep your Attack while dropping theirs, or getting off a risk-free CC.

EDIT: ok after talking with Scott keep CC as the first slot but put Wild Charge in behind it, and slash Fight Gem after Fire Gem, it has a chance to OHKO max HP ChopleTar with Fight Gem, mention this.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
252 speed main option for random krooks and smeargles and yanmegas before boost and things, add fighting gem to main set, 2nd move cc / wild charge, mention scarf abomasnow as a good partner (beat dragons and zapdos and things in general, but doesnt do much for defenses)

after changes qc 1 / 2

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Maybe a Special Set or Mixed set would work?
One problem is that fact that Arcanine's Special Attack movepool is pretty shallow. A mix set can kind of work, but it doesn't really help that Arcanine is mono-fire. Heat Wave is in OO, but I think that's about as far as I can recommend a Special / Mixed moveset.

I've implemented the changes, but it will probably be a bit before I can get this written up, the QC approval came in a lot faster than I was expecting.

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry / Enigma Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SAtk / 56 SDef / 28 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Heat Wave
- Close Combat
- Protect / Substitute

I don't remember all of the information about why I chose the EVs but this is the bulky mixed Arcanine set if you don't mind adding that to the analysis. Or ask for people to QC this then add it.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry / Enigma Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SAtk / 56 SDef / 28 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Heat Wave
- Close Combat
- Protect / Substitute

I don't remember all of the information about why I chose the EVs but this is the bulky mixed Arcanine set if you don't mind adding that to the analysis. Or ask for people to QC this then add it.
you need a reason why this set is good enough to be onsite, just posting a random ev spread and asking it be added isnt enough ._.

I do not remember what it survives, I should have said I'm going to re-Damage Calc that (I used this spread a while ago). And either way a bulky Intimidate user with great coverage is always good.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
It's certainly an interesting EV spread. I went and did a few calcs of my own for it, to try to understand the EVs a bit.

notable things I've found are:
-the speed EVs allow it to outrun Rotom-A if it does not run any speed on it
-it usually survives a Life Orb Draco Meteor from Latios (174-205 damage out of 197 HP), but I think these days they tend to run Dragon Gem which is guaranteed to OHKO
-survives 2 multi-target Earthquakes from -1 Garchomp without even needing a Sitrus Berry, (80-96 damage)
-survives 2 Thunderbolts from Modest Zapdos (97-115 damage, Sitrus Berry activates from the first attack unless it does 97)
-survives a Fighting Gem Close Combat, in addition to another Close Combat from Hitmontop (123-145 damage, followed by 82-97 damage after the gem is used, Sitrus Berry activates after the first attack)
-survives the combination of a -1 Earthquake from Garchomp along with a Electric Gem Discharge from Zapdos (195 damage max, barring crits or Adamant Garchomp)

I'll wait to see if there's anything else specific I'm missing here though, or what other people have to say about it.

EDIT: I've written up the analysis now, although I'm still not sure whether I'll be adding in / making a mention regarding the set Human provided. Although I know it can survive a number of things, I'm not entirely sure what it's going to be doing back to the opponents, since its offense isn't particularly high

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
remove
add
[Overview]

<p>With well rounded stats,(comma) and access to Intimidate, Arcanine can play both an offensive and a defensive role on a team. B/W has been kind to Arcanine, providing it with Close Combat and Wild Charge, thus allowing it to have a respectable physical movepool. Although its typing provides Arcanine with a strong offense, its weaknesses to Rock- and Water-type moves can often leave it in a tight spot. Nevertheless, Arcanine is a Pokemon that can fit well on many teams, showing that this old dog still has a few tricks up its sleeve.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flare Blitz is Arcanine's primary STAB move, dealing heavy damage to its foes. Close Combat provides good coverage in tandem with Flare Blitz, and allows Arcanine to strike hard against many Pokemon that are resistant to Fire-type moves. Wild Charge can be used instead of Close Combat, since it providinges Arcanine with a better option against Water-type Pokemon, although it i's weaker than Close Combat against most Pokemon. ExtremeSpeed provides Arcanine with a strong priority move. Due toSince ExtremeSpeed havings +2 Priority, it can allow Arcanine to pick off weakened Pokemon,(comma) even if they have Prankster as an ability. Protect rounds up the moveset, giving Arcanine a way to block incoming attacks for a turn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided for the set maximize Arcanine's Speed and Attack, while holding a Life Orb further powers up Arcanine's offense. As Life Orb is a commonly used item for many Pokemon, holding a Fire Gem or Fighting Gem can be a good alternative item. The former makes Flare Blitz and incredibly powerful attack, allowing Arcanine to OHKO Ferrothorn through an Occa Berry,(comma) regardless of its defensive EVs,(comma) while; the latter strengthens Close Combat, giving Arcanine a chance to KO Tyranitar through a Chople Berry.</p>

<p>An alternate EV spread of 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe,(comma) can be used forby Arcanine, providing it with some extra survivability. 60 Speed EVs give Arcanine 123 Speed, allowing it to be faster than Modest Ludicolo outside of the rain. Crunch can be used as an alternative move over Close Combat or Wild Charge, allowing Arcanine to deal damage to Ghost-type Pokemon, such as Chandelure and Jellicent.</p>

<p>Arcanine's Intimidate support reduces the threat of physical attackers, allowing more fragile sweepers, such as Latios, Thundurus, and Choice Scarf Abomasnow, to be able to survive a wide variety of physical attacks. Aside from this, Arcanine pairs up well with other Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Hitmontop,(comma) or Salamence, providing a double layer of attack drops to the opposing team. Gastrodon also makes a good partner for Arcanine. Intimidate allows Gastrodon to stay in play longer, as it prevents Arcanine from being targeted by Water-type moves. In turn, Arcanine can deal with Grass-type Pokemon that threaten Gastrodon,(comma) with Flare Blitz.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Arcanine's other abilities, Flash Fire and Justified, can be used,(comma) though they aren't quite as useful as Intimidate. Flash Fire gives Arcanine immunity toagainst Fire-type moves, thus allowing aits team to better handle Fire-type Pokemon. Justifed can allow Arcanine to gain a boost to its attack when hit by Dark-type attacks, and can be used in along with an ally with Beat Up for a +4 Attack Boost. Arcanine's stats make it possible for it to utilize a Choice Scarf moveset, but it will often find that being locked into one move is undesirable. A White Herb can be given to Arcanine in order to allow it to be unphazed by an opponent's Intimidate, or be used to counteract Close Combat's defense drops. Arcanine has a number of supportive options at its disposal, including Safeguard, Will-o-wO-Wisp, and Helping Hand, which can allow it to play a support role. Finally, it is possible to run a mixed set for Arcanine by utilizing Heat Wave on a moveset. Due to Arcanine's shallow movepool for special attacks, it's not recommended to try a full special attack moveset.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Fire-type Pokemon, Arcanine's effectivity is dampened by the presence of rain and Water-type Pokemon. While Wild Charge can help its case, a lot of the common Water-type Pokemon, such as Ludicolo, Kingdra and Gastrodon, have a secondary typing that are resistant to Electric-type attacks. Aside from Water-type Pokemon, Dragon-type Pokemon,(comma) such as Latios and Garchomp can take Arcanine on with relative ease, though Latios will need to watch out for ExtremeSpeed and the potential usage of Crunch. Chandelure is immune to Arcanine's main offensive moves and only has to watch out for onevariants that run Crunch. Jellicent is in a similar Pposition toas Chandelure, though it isn't immune to Flare Blitz and. It will also have to watch out for Wild Charge.</p>
[Overview]

<p>With well rounded stats, and access to Intimidate, Arcanine can play both an offensive and a defensive role on a team. B/W has been kind to Arcanine, providing it with Close Combat and Wild Charge, thus allowing it to have a respectable physical movepool. Although its typing provides Arcanine with a strong offense, its weaknesses to Rock- and Water-type moves can often leave it in a tight spot. Nevertheless, Arcanine is a Pokemon that can fit well on many teams, showing that this old dog still has a few tricks up its sleeve.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flare Blitz is Arcanine's primary STAB move, dealing heavy damage to its foes. Close Combat provides good coverage in tandem with Flare Blitz, and allows Arcanine to strike hard against many Pokemon that are resistant to Fire-type moves. Wild Charge can be used instead of Close Combat, since it provides Arcanine with a better option against Water-type Pokemon, although it's weaker than Close Combat against most Pokemon. ExtremeSpeed provides Arcanine with a strong priority move. Since ExtremeSpeed has +2 Priority, it can allow Arcanine to pick off weakened Pokemon, even if they have Prankster as an ability. Protect rounds up the moveset, giving Arcanine a way to block incoming attacks for a turn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided for the set maximize Arcanine's Speed and Attack, while holding a Life Orb further powers up Arcanine's offense. As Life Orb is a commonly used item for many Pokemon, holding a Fire Gem or Fighting Gem can be a good alternative item. The former makes Flare Blitz and incredibly powerful attack, allowing Arcanine to OHKO Ferrothorn through an Occa Berry, regardless of its defensive EVs; the latter strengthens Close Combat, giving Arcanine a chance to KO Tyranitar through a Chople Berry.</p>

<p>An alternate EV spread of 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe, can be used by Arcanine, providing it with some extra survivability. 60 Speed EVs give Arcanine 123 Speed, allowing it to be faster than Modest Ludicolo outside of the rain. Crunch can be used as an alternative move over Close Combat or Wild Charge, allowing Arcanine to deal damage to Ghost-type Pokemon, such as Chandelure and Jellicent.</p>

<p>Arcanine's Intimidate support reduces the threat of physical attackers, allowing more fragile sweepers, such as Latios, Thundurus, and Choice Scarf Abomasnow, to be able to survive a wide variety of physical attacks. Aside from this, Arcanine pairs up well with other Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Hitmontop, or Salamence, providing a double layer of attack drops to the opposing team. Gastrodon also makes a good partner for Arcanine. Intimidate allows Gastrodon to stay in play longer, as it prevents Arcanine from being targeted by Water-type moves. In turn, Arcanine can deal with Grass-type Pokemon that threaten Gastrodon, with Flare Blitz.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Arcanine's other abilities, Flash Fire and Justified, can be used, though they aren't quite as useful as Intimidate. Flash Fire gives Arcanine immunity against Fire-type moves, thus allowing its team to better handle Fire-type Pokemon. Justifed can allow Arcanine to boost its attack when hit by Dark-type attacks, and can be used along with an ally with Beat Up for a +4 Attack Boost. Arcanine's stats make it possible for it to utilize a Choice Scarf moveset, but it will often find that being locked into one move is undesirable. A White Herb can be given to Arcanine to allow it to be unphazed by an opponent's Intimidate, or be used to counteract Close Combat's defense drops. Arcanine has a number of supportive options at its disposal, including Safeguard, Will-O-Wisp, and Helping Hand, which can allow it to play a support role. Finally, it is possible to run a mixed set for Arcanine by utilizing Heat Wave on a moveset. Due to Arcanine's shallow movepool for special attacks, it's not recommended to try a full special attack moveset.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Fire-type Pokemon, Arcanine's effectivity is dampened by the presence of rain and Water-type Pokemon. While Wild Charge can help its case, a lot of the common Water-type Pokemon, such as Ludicolo, Kingdra and Gastrodon, have a secondary typing that are resistant to Electric-type attacks. Aside from Water-type Pokemon, Dragon-type Pokemon, such as Latios and Garchomp can take Arcanine on with relative ease, though Latios will need to watch out for ExtremeSpeed and the potential usage of Crunch. Chandelure is immune to Arcanine's main offensive moves and only has to watch out for variants that run Crunch. Jellicent is in a similar position as Chandelure, though it isn't immune to Flare Blitz. It will also have to watch out for Wild Charge.</p>

GP 1/2

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
add/replace with
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>With well rounded stats, and access to Intimidate, Arcanine can play both an offensive and a defensive role on a team. B/W has been kind to Arcanine, providing it with Close Combat and Wild Charge, thus allowing it to have a respectable physical movepool. Although its typing provides Arcanine with a strong offense, its weaknesses to Rock- and Water-type moves can often leave it in a tight spot. Nevertheless, Arcanine is a Pokemon that can fit well on many teams, showing that this old dog still has a few tricks up its sleeve.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Flare Blitz is Arcanine's primary STAB move, dealing heavy damage to its foes. Close Combat provides good coverage in tandem with Flare Blitz, and allows Arcanine to strike hard against many Pokemon that resist to Fire-type moves. Wild Charge can be used instead of Close Combat because it provides Arcanine with a better option against Water-type Pokemon. However, Wild Charge is weaker than Close Combat against most Pokemon. ExtremeSpeed provides Arcanine with a strong priority move. Since ExtremeSpeed has +2 Priority, it can allow Arcanine to pick off weakened Pokemon, even if they have Prankster as an ability. Protect rounds the moveset off, giving Arcanine a way to block incoming attacks for a turn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided for the set maximize Arcanine's Speed and Attack, while holding a Life Orb further powers up Arcanine's offense. As Life Orb is a commonly used item for many Pokemon, holding a Fire Gem or Fighting Gem can be a good alternatives. The former makes Flare Blitz and incredibly powerful attack, allowing Arcanine to OHKO Ferrothorn through an Occa Berry, regardless of its defensive EVs; the latter strengthens Close Combat, giving Arcanine a chance to KO Tyranitar through a Chople Berry.</p>

<p>An alternate EV spread of 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe, gives Arcanine some extra survivability. 60 Speed EVs give Arcanine 123 Speed, allowing it tooutspeed Modest Ludicolo outside of the rain. Crunch can be used as an alternative move over Close Combat or Wild Charge, allowing Arcanine to deal damage to Ghost-type Pokemon, such as Chandelure and Jellicent.</p>

<p>Arcanine's Intimidate support reduces the threat of physical attackers, allowing more fragile sweepers, such as Latios, Thundurus, and Choice Scarf Abomasnow, to be able to survive a wide variety of physical attacks. Aside from this, Arcanine pairs up well with other Pokemon with Intimidate, such as Hitmontop, or Salamence, providing a double layer of attack drops to the opposing team. Gastrodon also makes a good partner for Arcanine. Intimidate allows Gastrodon to stay in play longer, as it prevents Arcanine from being targeted by Water-type moves. In turn, Arcanine can deal with Grass-type Pokemon that threaten Gastrodon, with Flare Blitz.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Arcanine's other abilities, Flash Fire and Justified, can be used, though they aren't quite as useful as Intimidate. Flash Fire gives Arcanine immunity against Fire-type moves, thus allowing its team to better handle Fire-type Pokemon. Justifed can allow Arcanine to boost its Attack when hit by Dark-type attacks, andworks well with an ally with Beat Up for a +4 Attack Boost. Arcanine's stats make it possible for it to utilize a Choice Scarf moveset, but it will often find that being locked into one move is undesirable. A White Herb can be given to Arcanine to allow it to be unphazed by an opponent's Intimidate, or be used to counteract Close Combat's defense drops. Arcanine has a number of supportive options at its disposal, including Safeguard, Will-O-Wisp, and Helping Hand, which can allow it to play a support role. Finally, it is possible to run a mixed set for Arcanine by utilizing Heat Wave on a moveset. Due to Arcanine's shallow special movepool, it's not recommended to try a full special attack moveset.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Fire-type Pokemon, Arcanine's effectivity is dampened by the presence of rain and Water-type Pokemon. While Wild Charge can help its case, a lot of the common Water-type Pokemon, such as Ludicolo, Kingdra and Gastrodon, have a secondary typing that is resistant to Electric-type attacks. Aside from Water-type Pokemon, Dragon-type Pokemon, such as Latios and Garchomp can take Arcanine on with relative ease, though Latios will need to watch out for ExtremeSpeed and the potential usage of Crunch. Chandelure is immune to Arcanine's main offensive moves and only has to watch out for vairants that run Crunch. Jellicent is in a similar position as Chandelure, though it isn't immune to Flare Blitz. It will also have to watch out for Wild Charge.</p>

GP Approved (2/2)

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
changes made, it's now ready for upload after this one last thing:

In the end, I decided to add a comment in OO regarding using a bulky EV spread, which will need to be looked at.

"Utilizing a defensive EV spread, such as 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD with a Careful nature in order to survive a Latios's Dragon Gem Draco Meteor, can allow Arcanine to withstand numerous attacks while supporting the team with Helping Hand."

Sorry for the last minute add in.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Utilizing a defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD with a Careful nature in order to to survive a Latios's Dragon Gem Draco Meteor, can allows Arcanine to withstand numerous attacks, including a Timid Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor, while supporting the team with Helping Hand.

I'm assuming you're talking about +Speed nature Latios. If the calculation includes Modest, then take out "a Timid."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)