Medicham

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus

Medicham

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Medicham might look like a mediocre Pokemon. It only has base 60 attacking stats, as well as a rather average base 80 Speed. However, Medicham has an ability that makes it different from other Fighting-type Pokemon: Pure Power. Pure Power raises Medicham's attacking power to insane levels, and with a great offensive typing and coverage options, Medicham makes a great physical attacker. Another merit that separates Medicham from other Fighting-type Pokemon is that it is resistant to Fighting-type attacks due to its Psychic typing, making for a decent check to other Fighting-type Pokemon. Medicham is also the only Fighting-type Pokemon other than Gallade to receive Trick, and with such offensive capability, it can use Choice items to great effect. However, Pure Power isn't enough to make Medicham unbeatable; 65 / 75 / 75 defenses aren't helping Medicham take many hits. To add to Medicham's flaws, base 80 Speed is only average, making it slower than Pokemon such as Hydreigon and Latios, both of which can OHKO Medicham. The fact that its only STAB priority attack, Vacuum Wave, is specially based is another flaw in Medicham's resume. However, Medicham is a Pokemon that has all the tools it needs to succeed, so not preparing for it will cause grief for your team.</p>

[SET]
name: Pure Power!
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
move 3: Drain Punch / Low Kick / Hi Jump Kick
move 4: Detect
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
ability: Pure Power
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set showcases Medicham's Pure Power ability, and even though it has no coverage moves, its STAB moves alone are enough to cause problems for your opponent. Fake Out helps teammates by making a Pokemon useless for one turn, which can be crucial as the battle wears on. The choice of Psychic-type STAB move is one of power or accuracy; Psycho Cut is reliable, only slightly weaker than Zen Headbutt, and also has an increased critical hit rate. However, Zen Headbutt has a nice flinch rate, which Medicham can take advantage of thanks to its decent Speed. If you thought the choice of Psychic-type STAB was hard, picking a Fighting-type STAB move can be even harder. However, each attack plays a different role for Medicham. Drain Punch works great alongside Life Orb as it heals Medicham after use, which can help to cancel out Life Orb recoil. Low Kick is another great STAB option, hitting the heavier Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame, such as Tyranitar and Metagross, quite effectively. If one likes a high-risk, high-reward strategy, Hi Jump Kick is a perfect move to use. Even though it has a costly 50% recoil if it misses (or hits a Pokemon that has used Protect), a Base Power of 130 is hard to ignore, especially as it is considerably more powerful than both Low Kick and Drain Punch. Detect rounds off the set, allowing Medicham to stay in the fight for longer, as well as being effective even if the opponent uses Imprison.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided give Medicham as much Speed as possible. The Attack EVs give Medicham as much power as is possible, making it deadly alongside Pure Power. While most base 80 Speed Pokemon use a neutral Speed nature, Medicham uses Jolly to outspeed all neutral-natured base 92 Speed Pokemon and below, which includes key Pokemon such as Krookodile, Rotom-A, and Toxicroak. However, if one is looking for more power, an Adamant nature can still work, as Medicham will still Speed tie with other neutral-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon.</p>

<p>After reading about how powerful Medicham is with Pure Power, you probably need some evidence of how powerful Medicham really is. Therefore, the calcs below showcase Medicham against common VGC 2012 threats. All of the calcs below are with Medicham using a Jolly nature and a Life Orb:</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Low Kick vs. 252/0 Metagross 68.4% - 80.8%</li>
<li>Hi Jump Kick vs. 252/0 Metagross 73.6% - 86.8%</li>
<li>Drain Punch vs. 252/0 Togekiss 54.5% - 64.4%</li>
<li>Hi Jump Kick vs. 252/0 Togekiss 93.9% - 110.7%</li>
<li>Drain Punch vs. 252/0 Politoed 64.1% - 75.3%</li>
<li>Hi Jump Kick vs. 252/0 Politoed 110.4% - 130.5%</li>
<li>Low Kick vs. 4/0 Garchomp 60.6% - 71.5%</li>
<li>Hi Jump Kick vs. 4/0 Garchomp 98% - 115.6%</li>
<li>Drain Punch vs. 252/0 Rotom-W 60.5% - 71.4%</li>
<li>Hi Jump Kick vs. 252/0 Rotom-W 104.6% - 123.4%</li>
<li>Zen Headbutt vs. 140/0 Zapdos 66.6% - 78.7%</li>
</ul>

<p>While the moves provided give Medicham the ideal moveset, they are changeable due to the immense number of coverage moves Medicham has. Ice Punch hits Flying-type Pokemon that resist Medicham's Fighting-type STAB move, such as Zapdos and Togekiss. It also has the added bonus of hitting Dragon-type Pokemon, such as Garchomp and Haxorus, for super effective damage. ThunderPunch not only nails Flying-type Pokemon, but also hits Water-type Pokemon such as Politoed and Jellicent, the latter being especially important as it is immune to Medicham's Fighting-type STAB attacks. Finally, Rock Slide is an option as it, again, hits Flying-type Pokemon, while it also gives Medicham a spread attack to use; however, it hits weaker than the elemental punches when spread attack mechanics are factored in.</p>

<p>Medicham has problems against two types of Pokemon: Ghost and Flying. As such, Pokemon that can get rid of Ghost- and Flying-type Pokemon make great teammates. Dark-type Pokemon such as Hydreigon and Krookodile can get rid of Ghost-types, while Medicham clears Fighting-type Pokemon that give them trouble. Likewise, Electric-type Pokemon also make great partners, so Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Zapdos can all work out fine. Also, as Fake Out is prone to making the opponent double Protect, Pokemon with Substitute make great partners, as they can use Substitute while the opponent blocks the Fake Out.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Drain Punch / Low Kick
move 3: Ice Punch / Rock Slide
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Choice item users are few and far between, Medicham fills the role exceptionally. One of the reasons for this is the fact that Medicham gains Trick, which means it can potentially cripple another Pokemon for the rest of the match. Medicham hits 198 Speed with a Choice Scarf and an Adamant nature, and 218 with Jolly, which remedies its Speed problem. Likewise, a Choice Band can be used, as Pure Power in conjunction with a Choice Band means total devastation if played right. Drain Punch is the reliable STAB attack for this set, as it not only heals Medicham after every use, but it also hits light Pokemon, such as Rotom-W, for solid damage. However, Low Kick can be used as it hits heavier Pokemon such as Terrakion and Metagross harder than Drain Punch, though beware of lighter Pokemon if locked into Low Kick. Again, the choice of Psychic-type STAB attack is between reliability and power. Psycho Cut is more accurate than Zen Headbutt, but Zen Headbutt works great with a Choice Scarf as Medicham can make use of the flinch rate even more so due to an increase in Speed. The third moveslot is another personal preference. Ice Punch hits Dragon- and Flying-type Pokemon; however, Rock Slide gives Medicham a spread attack that keeps good coverage with its Fighting-type STAB. The crux of this set is Trick, which can screw over defensive Pokemon such as Cresselia and Musharna.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs given for this set are standard for a physical attacker. However, they are important, as they allow Medicham to hit as hard and as fast as possible. The choice of nature is dependent on the item; with a Choice Scarf, an Adamant nature is preferred as it allows Medicham to retain as much power as possible while still outspeeding common VGC Pokemon such as Latios and Weavile. However, if one decides to use a Choice Band, Jolly is the main nature, as Choice Band will provide more than enough power for Medicham to forgo an Attack-boosting nature.</p>

<p>Like the non-Choice set, Medicham can change its moveset to tailor to one's needs. Hi Jump Kick is usable for its sheer power, but be wary of Protect and Ghost-type Pokemon, as Medicham can't switch attacks while using a Choice item. To make matters worse, because most players double Protect expecting a Fake Out, using Hi Jump Kick on the first turn usually results in disastrous consequences. ThunderPunch can also work on this set, though Ice Punch and Rock Slide work better in most situations.</p>

<p>The first thing one should notice while observing this set is that it has no way of protecting itself. As such, this set needs more support than the non-Choice set. Follow Me from Togekiss and Lucario, Rage Powder from Jumpluff and Amoonguss, and Fake Out support all work, as they buy Medicham time to use its attacks or to Trick its Choice item onto another Pokemon. Aside from that, Pokemon that can clear the field of Flying- and Ghost-type Pokemon make great partners. Dark-type Pokemon, such as Honchcrow and Houndooom, make great teammates, as they can use their Dark-type STAB attacks to clear Ghost-types, as well as having priority in Sucker Punch to remove threats to Choice Scarf Medicham. Electric-type Pokemon, such as the Rotom formes and Zapdos, clear Flying-type Pokemon from the field, while Medicham's Fighting-type STAB clears Rock-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Medicham has an expansive movepool, but sadly, there are few other moves it can use that don't make it outclassed by other Pokemon. Support-wise, Helping Hand is an option to increase the power of an ally's attack by 50%, though Medicham has better things to be doing. A dual screens set might look usable due to Medicham's decent defensive typing, but there are other Pokemon that have much better bulk or Speed, such as Musharna and Latias, respectively, that can pull it off better. Gravity increases Hi Jump Kick's accuracy, making it a bit more usable. Telepathy is a good ability for doubles, but Medicham is outclassed in this regard by Musharna and even Gardevoir, making Telepathy useless on it. Its main merit is Pure Power anyways, and not using it limits Medicham's effectiveness.</p>

<p>Bullet Punch gives Medicham some kind of physical priority, but it doesn't receive STAB and is fairly weak, as well as providing little coverage against Pokemon that trouble Medicham. Feint can be used to break Protects and Detects, making it easier for its ally to attack, but it takes up a moveslot, which is risky for Medicham. Fire Punch deals more damage to Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Scizor, but that's about it. Medicham's other Fighting-type STAB options, Force Palm and Low Sweep, are usable to either lower the opponents' Speed or paralyze them, helping both Medicham and its partner. However, Medicham needs the power of either Drain Punch or Low Kick to really be effective. A set with Endure and Reversal might look decent, but because pinch Berries are not yet released, it isn't as good in practice as it is on paper. Finally, Medicham can use a Fighting Gem to increase the power of its Fighting-type STAB attack to insane levels. For example, Medicham can OHKO 252 / 0 Metagross with a Fighting Gem-boosted Hi Jump Kick!</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>One can look at Medicham's ability and think it must be impossible to beat; however, there are countless Pokemon that can give it problems. Spiritomb and Sableye are immune to both of Medicham's STABs, making them great counters. They also have Will-O-Wisp to cripple Medicham for the remainder of the game. Shedinja walls Medicham completely unless Medicham is running Rock Slide. Bulky Psychic-type Pokemon, such as Cresselia and Latias, make great checks, as they resist both STAB attacks and can cripple Medicham with Thunder Wave. A well-timed Trick can screw over all of the aforementioned Pokemon, however, so be wary of that when facing Medicham. Faster Pokemon such as Gengar, Latios, and Tornadus can just OHKO Medicham before it can attack, though a surprise attack from the Choice Scarf set will be a problem for those Pokemon as well. A nice measure to keep Medicham in check is Trick Room, as Medicham often tries to be as fast as possible.</p>

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For what it's worth, an Adamant Medicham's CB or Fight Gem HJK has a good chance at OHKOing 252 HP Metagross (a 75% chance or so). Which probably deserves some sort of mention, since it isn't every day that Metagross gets OHKO'd by a physical attack.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Low Kick should be slashed with Drain Punch before Hi Jump Kick, as it generally deals more damage than Drain Punch. If it doesn't, then you have your secondary STAB which will then outdamage Low Kick.

It's probably also worth noting on the Fake Out set that the threat of Fake Out commonly motivates people to double Protect first turn as you use Fake Out. As people usually don't use Protect two moves in a row, neither of those two Pokemon may use Protect, making Hi Jump Kick is more reliable on the 2nd turn than otherwise. Even if only one of the opponents' Pokemon uses Protect, you can probably assume that it won't use Protect the next turn.

[EDIT] On the topic of Fake Out, it might induce people to double Protect against Choice Medicham if they don't know its Choiced, making Choiced Hi Jump Kick in a metagame where Protect is everywhere even more risky. It might be wise to unslash Hi Jump Kick on that set, even though OHKOing Metagross is awesome.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
@ Darkmalice I haven't tested Low Kick, but you're right, most targets (Terrakion, Tyranitar, Metagross etc) are pretty heavy, so i'll add it in, though 3 slashes is a bit much

And i'll mention that as well, may as well mention a partner with Substitute, as I was able to get plenty of Substitutes with Hydregion when testing yesterday

HJK will be unslashed, but OHKOing Metagross is really cool

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
3 slashes is a bit much
I have a suspicion that QC will suggest to remove of Hi Jump Kick as a slash and move it to OO. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere other than OO in VGC analyses

I do actually think that it should be removed as a slash, but I feel as if I wasn't obliged to mention doing so, due to a combination of the Fake Out factor I've mentioned it before (making it a better HJK user than most other Pokemon) and the fact that I've never actually played with Medicham before.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Yeah I would actually move HJK down to AC. I mean if it can OHKO 252 HP Metagross I'm sure it can get some other serious damage if you predict correctly. But yeah misses/over-predicting can suck so I would definitely move it down, and AC would seem good for me with the power it has. Otherwise the set looks fine, good job TrollFreak

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
yea, the OHKO on Metagross is pretty cool, so i'll leave it in until QC weighs in, as the sheer power alone imo warants a slash

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd actually say remove drain punch, the healing won't help very often and it's so weak compared to lk and hjk

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, after testing it, I agree with you, though it does work on lighter Pokemon such as the Rotom formes (Which are hit harder by Zen Headbutt anyways) However, on the Choice Set it doesn't deserve a slash imo, as being locked into HJK can spell diaster, especially if the opponent has a Ghost-type Pokemon

fixing

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-a bit of a copy/paste issue when talking about Drain Punch in the Choice Set, as it still mentions about HJK and Life Orb, which were part of the first set

-Still didn't mention anything about CB or Fight Gem HJK being able to OHKO 252 HP Metagross, though I'm not sure if you still want to add that in somewhere

Aside from that, looks good.
QC 2/2

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd probably throw a few calcs in as r inanimate said, since it definitely strengthens why people would want to use Medicham over other Pokemon

other than that I think everything's been covered!

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
-a bit of a copy/paste issue when talking about Drain Punch in the Choice Set, as it still mentions about HJK and Life Orb, which were part of the first set
srry, I already have this typed up in Notepad (the important parts anyways) so I tend to do that alot
-Still didn't mention anything about CB or Fight Gem HJK being able to OHKO 252 HP Metagross, though I'm not sure if you still want to add that in somewhere
I still have that, I didn't forget :P

and yea, I'll go and grad some calcs when I write this up

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ready for GP!

EDIT- to the QC team, I will add the calcs after the 1st GP check, need to make sure these are right <.<

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
I do enjoy a good Medicham every so often

placeholderization

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Medicham may look like a mediocre Pokemon. It only has base 60 Attack and Special Attack (attacking stats), as well as only (a rather) average base 80 Speed. However, Medicham (has) an ability that makes it different from other Fighting-type Pokemon, (colon) Pure Power. Pure Power raises Medicham's (attacking) power to insane levels, and with a great offensive typing, as well as coverage attacks (and coverage options), Medicham makes a great physical attacker. Another merit that separates it (Medicham) from other Fighting-type Pokemon is that it is resistant to Fighting-type attacks due to its Psychic typing, making (for) a decent check to other Fighting-type Pokemon. Medicham is also one of the few (the only) Fighting-type Pokemon (other than Gallade) that (to) receives Trick, and with such offensive capabilitiesy, it can use Choice items to great effect, making it unpredictable as to what set it will carry. However, Pure Power isn't enough to make Medicham unbeatable; its defenses contribute to this. 65 / 75 / 75 defenses aren't helping Medicham take much (many) hits. To add to Medicham's flaws, base 80 Speed is only average, making it outsped my (slower than) Pokemon such as Hydregion and Latios, (both of) which can OHKO the Meditate Pokemon (Medicham). The fact that it's only STAB priority attack, Vacuum Wave, is a specially based attack, is another killer to (flaw in) Medicham's resume. However, Medicham is a Pokemon that has all the tools it needs to succeed, so not preparing for it will cause it to put holes in (grief for) your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set showcases Medicham's Pure Power (ability), and even though it only has no coverage moves, its STABs (moves) alone is (are) enough to cause your opponent problems (problems for your opponent). Fake Out helps teammates by making a Pokemon useless for one turn, which can be crucial as the battle wears on. The choice of Psychic STAB is one of power vs. (or) accuracy; Psycho Cut is reliable and is (comma) only 10 base points (slightly) weaker than Zen Headbutt, as well as having (and also has) an increased critical hit rate. However, Zen Headbutt has a nice flinch rate, which Medicham can abuse thanks to its decent Speed. If you thought the choice of Psychic STAB was hard, picking a Fighting-type STAB can be even harder. However, each attack plays a different role for Medicham. Drain Punch works great alongside Life Orb, as it heals off Medicham after use, which can help to cancel out Life Orb recoil. Low Kick is another great STAB option, hitting the heavier Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame, such as Tyranitar and Metagross (comma quite effectively). If one likes the high risk (comma) high reward strategy, Hi Jump Kick is a perfect move to use. Even though it has a costly 50% recoil if the move misses (or hits a Pokemon that has used Protect), a bBase pPower of 130 is hard to ignore, which (especially as it) is considerably more powerful than both Low Kick and Drain Punch. Detect rounds off the set, allowing Medicham to stay out (in the fight for) longer, as well as being effective even if the opponent uses Imprison.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided give Medicham as much Speed as possible. The Attack EVs are added to give Medicham as much power as is possible, making it easy to abuse (deadly) alongside Pure Power. While most base 80 Speed Pokemon use a neutral Speed nature, Medicham uses Jolly as it allows Medicham to outspeed all neutral(hyphen)natured base 92 Pokemon and below, which includes key Pokemon such as Krookodile, Rotom-A, and Toxicroak. If one is looking for more power however, an Adamant nature can still work, as it allows Medicham to still Speed tie with other neutral base 80 Pokemon.</p>

<p>While the moves provided give Medicham the ideal moveset, its moveset is interchangeable due to the immense (number of) coverage moves Medicham has. Ice Punch can be used to hit Flying-type Pokemon that resist Medicham's Psychic(Fighting)-type STAB, such as Zapdos and Togekiss. It also has the added bonus of hitting Dragon-type Pokemon(, such as Garchomp and Haxorus,) for super effective damage as well, such as Garchomp and Haxorus. ThunderPunch not only nails Flying-type Pokemon, but it also hits Water-type Pokemon such as Politoed and Jellicent, the latter is (being especially) important as it is immune to Medicham's Fighting-type STAB attacks. Finally, Rock Slide can be used as it(comma) again(comma) hits Flying-type Pokemon, (while) it also gives Medicham a spread attack to use, though it hits weaker than the elemental punches when double (spread attack) mechanics are factored in.</p>

<p>Medicham has problems against two types of Pokemon, Ghosts and Flying types (colon Ghost and Flying). As such, Pokemon thant can get rid of Ghost-type and Flying-type Pokemon make great teammates. Dark-type Pokemon, such as Hydreigon and Krookodile can get rid of Ghost-types, while Medicham clears Fighting-type Pokemon that give them trouble. Likewise, Electric-type Pokemon also make great partners, so Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Zapdos can all work out fine. Also, since (as) Fake Out is prone to make the opponent use double Protect, Pokemon with Substitute make great partners, as they can use Substitute while the opponent fears (blocks) the Fake Out.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Choice item users are far and (few and far) between, Medicham makes an exceptional user of a Choice item. One of the reasons for this is the fact Medicham gains Trick, which means it can Trick the Choice item to another Pokemon, (potentially) crippling it for the rest of the match. Medicham hits 198 Speed with a Choice Scarf and an Adamant (nature), (and) 218 with Jolly(comma) which fixes the (remedies its) Speed problem. Likewise, a Choice Band can be used, as Pure Power + (in conjunction with a) Choice Band means total devastation if played right. Drain Punch is the reliable STAB attack for this set, as it not only heals Medicham after every use, it also hits lighter Pokemon, such as Rotom-W, for solid damage. However, Low Kick can be used as it hits heavier Pokemon such as Terrakion and Metagross harder than Drain Punch, though beware of lighter Pokemon if locked into Low Kick. Again, the choice of Psychic STAB is between reliability vs. (and) power. Psycho Cut is more accurate than Zen Headbutt, though (but) Zen Headbutt works great with a Choice Scarf, as it can abuse the flinch rate even more so due to an increase in Speed. The third moveslot is another personal preference. Ice Punch is (can be) used to hit Dragon-type Pokemon as well as (and) Flying-type Pokemon. However, Rock Slide gives Medicham a spread attack that keeps good coverage with it's Fighting-type STAB. The crux of this set is Trick, as it (which) can screw over defensive Pokes such as Cresselia and Musharna.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs given for this set is (are) the same EVs given in the last set. However, they are important, as it (they) allows Medicham to hit as hard and as fast as possible. The choice of nature is up to the item of Choice, (semi-colon) with a Choice Scarf, an Adamant nature is perffered (preferred), as it allows (allowing) Medicham to retain as much power as possible, while still outspeeding common VGC Pokemon such as Latios and Weavile. However, if one decides to use a Choice Band, Jolly is the main nature, as Choice Band will provide more than enough power so that (for) Medicham can (to) forgo an Attack(hyphen)boosting nature.</p>

<p>Like the first set, Medicham can interchange its moveset to tailor one(')s needs. Hi Jump Kick can still be used for it's sheer power, but be wary of Protect and Ghost-type Pokemon, as Medicham can't switch attacks while using a Choice item. To make matters worse, since most players double Protect expecting a Fake Out, using Hi Jump Kick (on the) first turn usually results in devastating results (disastrous consequences). ThunderPunch can also work on this set, though Ice Punch and Rock Slide usually work better in most situations.</p>

<p>The first thing one should notice while observing this set is that it has no way of protecting itself. As such, this set needs more support than the Pure Power! (first) set. Follow Me by (from) Togekiss and Lucario, Rage Powder in the form of Jumpluff and Amonguss, and Fake Out support all work, as they buy Medicham time to use its attacks or to Trick the cChoice item onto another Pokemon. Aside from that, Pokemon that can clear the field of Flying- and Ghost-type Pokemon again make great partners. Dark-type Pokemon, such as Honchcrow and Houndooom(comma) make great partners, as they can use their Dark-type STABs to clear Ghosts, as well as having priority in Sucker Punch to clear (remove) threats to Choiced (Scarf) Medicham. Electric-type Pokemon, such as the Rotom formes and Zapdos(comma) clear Flying-type Pokemon (from the field), while Medicham's Fighting-type STAB clears Rock(hyphen)types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Medicham has an expansive movepool, (but) sadly, theyre are few other moves Medicham can use that isn't (don't make it) outclassed by other Pokemon. Support-wise, Helping Hand can be used to increase the power of an ally's attack by 50%, though Medicham has better things to be doing. A Ddual Sscreens set may look usable due to Medicham's decent defensive typing, but theyre are other Pokemon that have much more bulk or better Speed, such as Musharna and Latias, repetitively (respectively), that can pull it off better. Gravity can be used to increase Hi Jump Kick(')s accuracy, making it a bit more usable. Telepathy may seem like a good ability for doubles, which it is, but Medicham is outclassed in this regard by Musharna and even Gardevoir, making Telepathy useless on Medicham. Its main merit is Pure Power anyways, and not using it wastes (limits) Medicham's effectiveness.</p>

<p>Bullet Punch gives Medicham some kind of physical priority, but it is un-STABed (doesn't receive STAB) and (is fairly) weak, as well as providing little coverage against Pokemon that trouble Medicham. Feint can be used to break Protects and Detects, making it easier for its ally to attack, but it takes up a moveslot, which is risky for Medicham. Fire Punch deals more damage to Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Scizor, but that(')s about it. Medicham's other Fighting-type STAB options, Force Palm and Low Sweep, can be used to either lower the opponents Speed or paralyze them, helping both Medicham and it's partner. However, Medicham needs the power of either Drain Punch or Low Kick to really be effective. A set of Endure and Reversal may look decent, but due to pinch berries not being released yet, it isn't as good in practice as it is on paper. Finally, a Fighting Gem can be used to increase the power of Medicham's Fighting-type STAB attack to insane levels. As an example, it (Medicham) can OHKO 252 / 0 Metagross with a Fighting Gem boosted Hi Jump Kick!</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>One may look at Medicham's ability and think it must be impossible to beat it. However, theyre are countless Pokemon that can give it problems. Spiritomb and Sableye are immune to both STABs, making them great counters. They even have Will-O-Wisp to cripple Medicham for the remainder of the game. Shedinja walls it completely unless Medicham is running Rock Slide. Bulky Psychic-type Pokemon, such as Cresselia and Latias, make great checks, as they resist both STABs and both can cripple Medicham with Thunder Wave. A well timed Trick can screw over all of the above mentioned Pokemon, however, so be wary of that when facing Medicham. Faster Pokemon such as Gengar, Latios, and Tornadus can just OHKO Medicham before it can attack, though a surprise (attack from the) Choice Scarf (set) will be a problem for those Pokemon as well. A nice measure to keep Medicham is check is Trick Room, as it will be "slower" due to Trick Room making slower Pokemon "faster" (as Medicham often tries to be as fast as possible, which is neutralized by Trick Room).</p>

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Medicham may look like a mediocre Pokemon. It only has base 60 attacking stats, as well as a rather average base 80 Speed. However, Medicham has an ability that makes it different from other Fighting-type Pokemon: Pure Power. Pure Power raises Medicham's attacking power to insane levels, and with a great offensive typing and coverage options, Medicham makes a great physical attacker. Another merit that separates Medicham from other Fighting-type Pokemon is that it is resistant to Fighting-type attacks due to its Psychic typing, making for a decent check to other Fighting-type Pokemon. Medicham is also the only Fighting-type Pokemon other than Gallade to receive Trick, and with such offensive capability, it can use Choice items to great effect. However, Pure Power isn't enough to make Medicham unbeatable; 65 / 75 / 75 defenses aren't helping Medicham take many hits. To add to Medicham's flaws, base 80 Speed is only average, making it slower than Pokemon such as Hydregion and Latios, both of which can OHKO Medicham. The fact that its only STAB priority attack, Vacuum Wave, is specially based is another flaw in Medicham's resume. However, Medicham is a Pokemon that has all the tools it needs to succeed, so not preparing for it will cause grief for your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set showcases Medicham's Pure Power ability, and even though it has no coverage moves, its STAB moves alone are enough to cause problems for your opponent. Fake Out helps teammates by making a Pokemon useless for one turn, which can be crucial as the battle wears on. The choice of Psychic STAB is one of power or accuracy; Psycho Cut is reliable, only slightly weaker than Zen Headbutt, and also has an increased critical hit rate. However, Zen Headbutt has a nice flinch rate, which Medicham can abuse thanks to its decent Speed. If you thought the choice of Psychic STAB was hard, picking a Fighting-type STAB can be even harder. However, each attack plays a different role for Medicham. Drain Punch works great alongside Life Orb, as it heals Medicham after use, which can help to cancel out Life Orb recoil. Low Kick is another great STAB option, hitting the heavier Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame, such as Tyranitar and Metagross, quite effectively. If one likes the high risk, high reward strategy, Hi Jump Kick is a perfect move to use. Even though it has a costly 50% recoil if the move misses (or hits a Pokemon that has used Protect), a Base Power of 130 is hard to ignore, especially as it is considerably more powerful than both Low Kick and Drain Punch. Detect rounds off the set, allowing Medicham to stay in the fight for longer, as well as being effective even if the opponent uses Imprison.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided give Medicham as much Speed as possible. The Attack EVs are added to give Medicham as much power as is possible, making it deadly alongside Pure Power. While most base 80 Speed Pokemon use a neutral Speed nature, Medicham uses Jolly to outspeed all neutral-natured base 92 Pokemon and below, which includes key Pokemon such as Krookodile, Rotom-A, and Toxicroak. If one is looking for more power however, an Adamant nature can still work, as it allows Medicham to still Speed tie with other neutral base 80 Pokemon.</p>

<p>While the moves provided give Medicham the ideal moveset, its moveset is interchangeable due to the immense number of coverage moves Medicham has. Ice Punch can be used to hit Flying-type Pokemon that resist Medicham's Fighting-type STAB, such as Zapdos and Togekiss. It also has the added bonus of hitting Dragon-type Pokemon, such as Garchomp and Haxorus, for super effective damage. ThunderPunch not only nails Flying-type Pokemon, but it also hits Water-type Pokemon such as Politoed and Jellicent, the latter being especially important as it is immune to Medicham's Fighting-type STAB attacks. Finally, Rock Slide can be used as it, again, hits Flying-type Pokemon, while it also gives Medicham a spread attack to use, though it hits weaker than the elemental punches when spread attack mechanics are factored in.</p>

<p>Medicham has problems against two types of Pokemon: Ghost and Flying. As such, Pokemon that can get rid of Ghost- and Flying-type Pokemon make great teammates. Dark-type Pokemon, such as Hydreigon and Krookodile can get rid of Ghost-types, while Medicham clears Fighting-type Pokemon that give them trouble. Likewise, Electric-type Pokemon also make great partners, so Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Zapdos can all work out fine. Also, as Fake Out is prone to make the opponent double Protect, Pokemon with Substitute make great partners, as they can use Substitute while the opponent blocks the Fake Out.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Choice item users are few and far between, Medicham makes an exceptional user of a Choice item. One of the reasons for this is the fact Medicham gains Trick, which means it can Trick the Choice item to another Pokemon, potentially crippling it for the rest of the match. Medicham hits 198 Speed with a Choice Scarf and an Adamant nature, and 218 with Jolly, which remedies its Speed problem. Likewise, a Choice Band can be used, as Pure Power in conjunction with a Choice Band means total devastation if played right. Drain Punch is the reliable STAB attack for this set, as it not only heals Medicham after every use, it also hits light Pokemon, such as Rotom-W, for solid damage. However, Low Kick can be used as it hits heavier Pokemon such as Terrakion and Metagross harder than Drain Punch, though beware of lighter Pokemon if locked into Low Kick. Again, the choice of Psychic STAB is between reliability and power. Psycho Cut is more accurate than Zen Headbutt, but Zen Headbutt works great with a Choice Scarf as it can abuse the flinch rate even more so due to an increase in Speed. The third moveslot is another personal preference. Ice Punch can be used to hit Dragon- and Flying-type Pokemon. However, Rock Slide gives Medicham a spread attack that keeps good coverage with its Fighting-type STAB. The crux of this set is Trick, which can screw over defensive Pokes such as Cresselia and Musharna.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs given for this set are the same EVs given in the last set. However, they are important, as they allow Medicham to hit as hard and as fast as possible. The choice of nature is up to the item; with a Choice Scarf, an Adamant nature is preferred, allowing Medicham to retain as much power as possible while still outspeeding common VGC Pokemon such as Latios and Weavile. However, if one decides to use a Choice Band, Jolly is the main nature, as Choice Band will provide more than enough power for Medicham to forgo an Attack-boosting nature.</p>

<p>Like the first set, Medicham can interchange its moveset to tailor one's needs. Hi Jump Kick can still be used for its sheer power, but be wary of Protect and Ghost-type Pokemon, as Medicham can't switch attacks while using a Choice item. To make matters worse, since most players double Protect expecting a Fake Out, using Hi Jump Kick on the first turn usually results in disastrous consequences. ThunderPunch can also work on this set, though Ice Punch and Rock Slide usually work better in most situations.</p>

<p>The first thing one should notice while observing this set is that it has no way of protecting itself. As such, this set needs more support than the first set. Follow Me from Togekiss and Lucario, Rage Powder in the form of Jumpluff and Amonguss, and Fake Out support all work, as they buy Medicham time to use its attacks or to Trick the Choice item onto another Pokemon. Aside from that, Pokemon that can clear the field of Flying- and Ghost-type Pokemon make great partners. Dark-type Pokemon, such as Honchcrow and Houndooom, make great partners, as they can use their Dark-type STAB to clear Ghosts, as well as having priority in Sucker Punch to remove threats to Choice Scarf Medicham. Electric-type Pokemon, such as the Rotom formes and Zapdos, clear Flying-type Pokemon from the field, while Medicham's Fighting-type STAB clears Rock-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Medicham has an expansive movepool, but sadly, there are few other moves Medicham can use that don't make it outclassed by other Pokemon. Support-wise, Helping Hand can be used to increase the power of an ally's attack by 50%, though Medicham has better things to be doing. A dual screens set may look usable due to Medicham's decent defensive typing, but there are other Pokemon that have much more bulk or better Speed, such as Musharna and Latias respectively, that can pull it off better. Gravity can be used to increase Hi Jump Kick's accuracy, making it a bit more usable. Telepathy may seem like a good ability for doubles, which it is, but Medicham is outclassed in this regard by Musharna and even Gardevoir, making Telepathy useless on Medicham. Its main merit is Pure Power anyways, and not using it limits Medicham's effectiveness.</p>

<p>Bullet Punch gives Medicham some kind of physical priority, but it doesn't receive STAB and is fairly weak, as well as providing little coverage against Pokemon that trouble Medicham. Feint can be used to break Protects and Detects, making it easier for its ally to attack, but it takes up a moveslot, which is risky for Medicham. Fire Punch deals more damage to Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Scizor, but that's about it. Medicham's other Fighting-type STAB options, Force Palm and Low Sweep, can be used to either lower the opponents Speed or paralyze them, helping both Medicham and its partner. However, Medicham needs the power of either Drain Punch or Low Kick to really be effective. A set of Endure and Reversal may look decent, but due to pinch berries not being released yet, it isn't as good in practice as it is on paper. Finally, a Fighting Gem can be used to increase the power of Medicham's Fighting-type STAB attack to insane levels. As an example, Medicham can OHKO 252 / 0 Metagross with a Fighting Gem boosted Hi Jump Kick!</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>One may look at Medicham's ability and think it must be impossible to beat. However, there are countless Pokemon that can give it problems. Spiritomb and Sableye are immune to both STABs, making them great counters. They even have Will-O-Wisp to cripple Medicham for the remainder of the game. Shedinja walls it completely unless Medicham is running Rock Slide. Bulky Psychic-type Pokemon, such as Cresselia and Latias, make great checks, as they resist both STABs and can cripple Medicham with Thunder Wave. A well timed Trick can screw over all of the above mentioned Pokemon, however, so be wary of that when facing Medicham. Faster Pokemon such as Gengar, Latios, and Tornadus can just OHKO Medicham before it can attack, though a surprise attack from the Choice Scarf set will be a problem for those Pokemon as well. A nice measure to keep Medicham is check is Trick Room, as Medicham often tries to be as fast as possible, which is neutralized by Trick Room.</p>​

GP (1/2)

hi TF asked me to check this so uh yeah!

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Medicham mayight look like a mediocre Pokemon. It only has base 60 attacking stats, as well as a rather average base 80 Speed. However, Medicham has an ability that makes it different from other Fighting-type Pokemon: Pure Power. Pure Power raises Medicham's attacking power to insane levels, and with a great offensive typing and coverage options, Medicham makes a great physical attacker. Another merit that separates Medicham from other Fighting-type Pokemon is that it is resistant to Fighting-type attacks due to its Psychic typing, making for a decent check to other Fighting-type Pokemon. Medicham is also the only Fighting-type Pokemon other than Gallade to receive Trick, and with such offensive capability, it can use Choice items to great effect. However, Pure Power isn't enough to make Medicham unbeatable; 65 / 75 / 75 defenses aren't helping Medicham take many hits. To add to Medicham's flaws, base 80 Speed is only average, making it slower than Pokemon such as Hydregiigon and Latios, both of which can OHKO Medicham. The fact that its only STAB priority attack, Vacuum Wave, is specially based is another flaw in Medicham's resume. However, Medicham is a Pokemon that has all the tools it needs to succeed, so not preparing for it will cause grief for your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set showcases Medicham's Pure Power ability, and even though it has no coverage moves, its STAB moves alone are enough to cause problems for your opponent. Fake Out helps teammates by making a Pokemon useless for one turn, which can be crucial as the battle wears on. The choice of Psychic-type STAB move is one of power or accuracy; Psycho Cut is reliable, only slightly weaker than Zen Headbutt, and also has an increased critical hit rate. However, Zen Headbutt has a nice flinch rate, which Medicham can abusetake advantage of thanks to its decent Speed. If you thought the choice of Psychic-type STAB was hard, picking a Fighting-type STAB move can be even harder. However, each attack plays a different role for Medicham. Drain Punch works great alongside Life Orb, as it heals Medicham after use, which can help to cancel out Life Orb recoil. Low Kick is another great STAB option, hitting the heavier Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame, such as Tyranitar and Metagross, quite effectively. If one likes thea high-(hyphen)risk, high-(hyphen)reward strategy, Hi Jump Kick is a perfect move to use. Even though it has a costly 50% recoil if the moveit misses (or hits a Pokemon that has used Protect), a Base Power of 130 is hard to ignore, especially as it is considerably more powerful than both Low Kick and Drain Punch. Detect rounds off the set, allowing Medicham to stay in the fight for longer, as well as being effective even if the opponent uses Imprison.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided give Medicham as much Speed as possible. The Attack EVs are added to give Medicham as much power as is possible, making it deadly alongside Pure Power. While most base 80 Speed Pokemon use a neutral Speed nature, Medicham uses Jolly to outspeed all neutral-natured base 92 Speed Pokemon and below, which includes key Pokemon such as Krookodile, Rotom-A, and Toxicroak. IHowever, if one is looking for more power however, an Adamant nature can still work, as it allows Medicham toMedicham will still Speed tie with other neutral-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon.</p>

<p>While the moves provided give Medicham the ideal moveset, its moveset is interthey are changeable due to the immense number of coverage moves Medicham has. Ice Punch can be used to hits Flying-type Pokemon that resist Medicham's Fighting-type STAB move, such as Zapdos and Togekiss. It also has the added bonus of hitting Dragon-type Pokemon, such as Garchomp and Haxorus, for super effective damage. ThunderPunch not only nails Flying-type Pokemon, but it also hits Water-type Pokemon such as Politoed and Jellicent, the latter being especially important as it is immune to Medicham's Fighting-type STAB attacks. Finally, Rock Slide can be usedis an option as it, again, hits Flying-type Pokemon, while it also gives Medicham a spread attack to use, though; however, it hits weaker than the elemental punches when spread attack mechanics are factored in.</p>

<p>Medicham has problems against two types of Pokemon: Ghost and Flying. As such, Pokemon that can get rid of Ghost- and Flying-type Pokemon make great teammates. Dark-type Pokemon,(remove comma) such as Hydreigon and Krookodile can get rid of Ghost-types, while Medicham clears Fighting-type Pokemon that give them trouble. Likewise, Electric-type Pokemon also make great partners, so Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Zapdos can all work out fine. Also, as Fake Out is prone to makeing the opponent double Protect, Pokemon with Substitute make great partners, as they can use Substitute while the opponent blocks the Fake Out.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Choice item users are few and far between, Medicham makes an exceptional user of a Choice itemfills the role exceptionally. One of the reasons for this is the fact that Medicham gains Trick, which means it can Trick the Choice item to another Pokemon, potentially crippling itpotentially cripple another Pokemon for the rest of the match. Medicham hits 198 Speed with a Choice Scarf and an Adamant nature, and 218 with Jolly, which remedies its Speed problem. Likewise, a Choice Band can be used, as Pure Power in conjunction with a Choice Band means total devastation if played right. Drain Punch is the reliable STAB attack for this set, as it not only heals Medicham after every use, but it also hits light Pokemon, such as Rotom-W, for solid damage. However, Low Kick can be used as it hits heavier Pokemon such as Terrakion and Metagross harder than Drain Punch, though beware of lighter Pokemon if locked into Low Kick. Again, the choice of Psychic-type STAB attack is between reliability and power. Psycho Cut is more accurate than Zen Headbutt, but Zen Headbutt works great with a Choice Scarf as it can abMedicham can make use of the flinch rate even more so due to an increase in Speed. The third moveslot is another personal preference. Ice Punch can be used to hits Dragon- and Flying-type Pokemon. H; however, Rock Slide gives Medicham a spread attack that keeps good coverage with its Fighting-type STAB. The crux of this set is Trick, which can screw over defensive Pokesmon such as Cresselia and Musharna.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs given for this set are the same EVs given in the last setstandard for a physical attacker. However, they are important, as they allow Medicham to hit as hard and as fast as possible. The choice of nature is up todependent on the item; with a Choice Scarf, an Adamant nature is preferred, as it allowings Medicham to retain as much power as possible while still outspeeding common VGC Pokemon such as Latios and Weavile. However, if one decides to use a Choice Band, Jolly is the main nature, as Choice Band will provide more than enough power for Medicham to forgo an Attack-boosting nature.</p>

<p>Like the firstnon-Choice set, Medicham can interchange its moveset to tailor to one's needs. Hi Jump Kick can still be usedis usable for its sheer power, but be wary of Protect and Ghost-type Pokemon, as Medicham can't switch attacks while using a Choice item. To make matters worse, sincbecause most players double Protect expecting a Fake Out, using Hi Jump Kick on the first turn usually results in disastrous consequences. ThunderPunch can also work on this set, though Ice Punch and Rock Slide usually work better in most situations.</p>

<p>The first thing one should notice while observing this set is that it has no way of protecting itself. As such, this set needs more support than the firstnon-Choice set. Follow Me from Togekiss and Lucario, Rage Powder in the form offrom Jumpluff and Amoonguss, and Fake Out support all work, as they buy Medicham time to use its attacks or to Trick theits Choice item onto another Pokemon. Aside from that, Pokemon that can clear the field of Flying- and Ghost-type Pokemon make great partners. Dark-type Pokemon, such as Honchcrow and Houndooom, make great partnerteammates, as they can use their Dark-type STAB attacks to clear Ghost-types, as well as having priority in Sucker Punch to remove threats to Choice Scarf Medicham. Electric-type Pokemon, such as the Rotom formes and Zapdos, clear Flying-type Pokemon from the field, while Medicham's Fighting-type STAB clears Rock-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Medicham has an expansive movepool, but sadly, there are few other moves Medichamit can use that don't make it outclassed by other Pokemon. Support-wise, Helping Hand can be usedis an option to increase the power of an ally's attack by 50%, though Medicham has better things to be doing. A dual screens set mayight look usable due to Medicham's decent defensive typing, but there are other Pokemon that have much more bulk or bettebetter bulk or Speed, such as Musharna and Latias,(comma) respectively, that can pull it off better. Gravity can be used to increases Hi Jump Kick's accuracy, making it a bit more usable. Telepathy may seem likeis a good ability for doubles, which it is, but Medicham is outclassed in this regard by Musharna and even Gardevoir, making Telepathy useless on Medichamit. Its main merit is Pure Power anyways, and not using it limits Medicham's effectiveness.</p>

<p>Bullet Punch gives Medicham some kind of physical priority, but it doesn't receive STAB and is fairly weak, as well as providing little coverage against Pokemon that trouble Medicham. Feint can be used to break Protects and Detects, making it easier for its ally to attack, but it takes up a moveslot, which is risky for Medicham. Fire Punch deals more damage to Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Scizor, but that's about it. Medicham's other Fighting-type STAB options, Force Palm and Low Sweep, can be usedare usable to either lower the opponents'(apostrophe) Speed or paralyze them, helping both Medicham and its partner. However, Medicham needs the power of either Drain Punch or Low Kick to really be effective. A set ofwith Endure and Reversal mayight look decent, but due tobecause pinch bBerries are not beingyet released yet, it isn't as good in practice as it is on paper. Finally, Medicham can use a Fighting Gem can be used to increase the power of Medicham'its Fighting-type STAB attack to insane levels. As anFor example, Medicham can OHKO 252 / 0 Metagross with a Fighting Gem-(hyphen)boosted Hi Jump Kick!</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>One maycan look at Medicham's ability and think it must be impossible to beat. H; however, there are countless Pokemon that can give it problems. Spiritomb and Sableye are immune to both of Medicham's STABs, making them great counters. They evenalso have Will-O-Wisp to cripple Medicham for the remainder of the game. Shedinja walls itMedicham completely unless Medicham is running Rock Slide. Bulky Psychic-type Pokemon, such as Cresselia and Latias, make great checks, as they resist both STAB attacks and can cripple Medicham with Thunder Wave. A well-(hyphen)timed Trick can screw over all of the above forementioned Pokemon, however, so be wary of that when facing Medicham. Faster Pokemon such as Gengar, Latios, and Tornadus can just OHKO Medicham before it can attack, though a surprise attack from the Choice Scarf set will be a problem for those Pokemon as well. A nice measure to keep Medicham isn check is Trick Room, as Medicham often tries to be as fast as possible, which is neutralized by Trick Room.</p>

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Medicham might look like a mediocre Pokemon. It only has base 60 attacking stats, as well as a rather average base 80 Speed. However, Medicham has an ability that makes it different from other Fighting-type Pokemon: Pure Power. Pure Power raises Medicham's attacking power to insane levels, and with a great offensive typing and coverage options, Medicham makes a great physical attacker. Another merit that separates Medicham from other Fighting-type Pokemon is that it is resistant to Fighting-type attacks due to its Psychic typing, making for a decent check to other Fighting-type Pokemon. Medicham is also the only Fighting-type Pokemon other than Gallade to receive Trick, and with such offensive capability, it can use Choice items to great effect. However, Pure Power isn't enough to make Medicham unbeatable; 65 / 75 / 75 defenses aren't helping Medicham take many hits. To add to Medicham's flaws, base 80 Speed is only average, making it slower than Pokemon such as Hydreigon and Latios, both of which can OHKO Medicham. The fact that its only STAB priority attack, Vacuum Wave, is specially based is another flaw in Medicham's resume. However, Medicham is a Pokemon that has all the tools it needs to succeed, so not preparing for it will cause grief for your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set showcases Medicham's Pure Power ability, and even though it has no coverage moves, its STAB moves alone are enough to cause problems for your opponent. Fake Out helps teammates by making a Pokemon useless for one turn, which can be crucial as the battle wears on. The choice of Psychic-type STAB move is one of power or accuracy; Psycho Cut is reliable, only slightly weaker than Zen Headbutt, and also has an increased critical hit rate. However, Zen Headbutt has a nice flinch rate, which Medicham can take advantage of thanks to its decent Speed. If you thought the choice of Psychic-type STAB was hard, picking a Fighting-type STAB move can be even harder. However, each attack plays a different role for Medicham. Drain Punch works great alongside Life Orb as it heals Medicham after use, which can help to cancel out Life Orb recoil. Low Kick is another great STAB option, hitting the heavier Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame, such as Tyranitar and Metagross, quite effectively. If one likes a high-risk, high-reward strategy, Hi Jump Kick is a perfect move to use. Even though it has a costly 50% recoil if it misses (or hits a Pokemon that has used Protect), a Base Power of 130 is hard to ignore, especially as it is considerably more powerful than both Low Kick and Drain Punch. Detect rounds off the set, allowing Medicham to stay in the fight for longer, as well as being effective even if the opponent uses Imprison.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs provided give Medicham as much Speed as possible. The Attack EVs give Medicham as much power as is possible, making it deadly alongside Pure Power. While most base 80 Speed Pokemon use a neutral Speed nature, Medicham uses Jolly to outspeed all neutral-natured base 92 Speed Pokemon and below, which includes key Pokemon such as Krookodile, Rotom-A, and Toxicroak. However, if one is looking for more power, an Adamant nature can still work, as Medicham will still Speed tie with other neutral-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon.</p>

<p>While the moves provided give Medicham the ideal moveset, they are changeable due to the immense number of coverage moves Medicham has. Ice Punch hits Flying-type Pokemon that resist Medicham's Fighting-type STAB move, such as Zapdos and Togekiss. It also has the added bonus of hitting Dragon-type Pokemon, such as Garchomp and Haxorus, for super effective damage. ThunderPunch not only nails Flying-type Pokemon, but also hits Water-type Pokemon such as Politoed and Jellicent, the latter being especially important as it is immune to Medicham's Fighting-type STAB attacks. Finally, Rock Slide is an option as it, again, hits Flying-type Pokemon, while it also gives Medicham a spread attack to use; however, it hits weaker than the elemental punches when spread attack mechanics are factored in.</p>

<p>Medicham has problems against two types of Pokemon: Ghost and Flying. As such, Pokemon that can get rid of Ghost- and Flying-type Pokemon make great teammates. Dark-type Pokemon such as Hydreigon and Krookodile can get rid of Ghost-types, while Medicham clears Fighting-type Pokemon that give them trouble. Likewise, Electric-type Pokemon also make great partners, so Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Zapdos can all work out fine. Also, as Fake Out is prone to making the opponent double Protect, Pokemon with Substitute make great partners, as they can use Substitute while the opponent blocks the Fake Out.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Choice item users are few and far between, Medicham fills the role exceptionally. One of the reasons for this is the fact that Medicham gains Trick, which means it can potentially cripple another Pokemon for the rest of the match. Medicham hits 198 Speed with a Choice Scarf and an Adamant nature, and 218 with Jolly, which remedies its Speed problem. Likewise, a Choice Band can be used, as Pure Power in conjunction with a Choice Band means total devastation if played right. Drain Punch is the reliable STAB attack for this set, as it not only heals Medicham after every use, but it also hits light Pokemon, such as Rotom-W, for solid damage. However, Low Kick can be used as it hits heavier Pokemon such as Terrakion and Metagross harder than Drain Punch, though beware of lighter Pokemon if locked into Low Kick. Again, the choice of Psychic-type STAB attack is between reliability and power. Psycho Cut is more accurate than Zen Headbutt, but Zen Headbutt works great with a Choice Scarf as Medicham can make use of the flinch rate even more so due to an increase in Speed. The third moveslot is another personal preference. Ice Punch hits Dragon- and Flying-type Pokemon; however, Rock Slide gives Medicham a spread attack that keeps good coverage with its Fighting-type STAB. The crux of this set is Trick, which can screw over defensive Pokemon such as Cresselia and Musharna.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs given for this set are standard for a physical attacker. However, they are important, as they allow Medicham to hit as hard and as fast as possible. The choice of nature is dependent on the item; with a Choice Scarf, an Adamant nature is preferred as it allows Medicham to retain as much power as possible while still outspeeding common VGC Pokemon such as Latios and Weavile. However, if one decides to use a Choice Band, Jolly is the main nature, as Choice Band will provide more than enough power for Medicham to forgo an Attack-boosting nature.</p>

<p>Like the non-Choice set, Medicham can change its moveset to tailor to one's needs. Hi Jump Kick is usable for its sheer power, but be wary of Protect and Ghost-type Pokemon, as Medicham can't switch attacks while using a Choice item. To make matters worse, because most players double Protect expecting a Fake Out, using Hi Jump Kick on the first turn usually results in disastrous consequences. ThunderPunch can also work on this set, though Ice Punch and Rock Slide work better in most situations.</p>

<p>The first thing one should notice while observing this set is that it has no way of protecting itself. As such, this set needs more support than the non-Choice set. Follow Me from Togekiss and Lucario, Rage Powder from Jumpluff and Amoonguss, and Fake Out support all work, as they buy Medicham time to use its attacks or to Trick its Choice item onto another Pokemon. Aside from that, Pokemon that can clear the field of Flying- and Ghost-type Pokemon make great partners. Dark-type Pokemon, such as Honchcrow and Houndooom, make great teammates, as they can use their Dark-type STAB attacks to clear Ghost-types, as well as having priority in Sucker Punch to remove threats to Choice Scarf Medicham. Electric-type Pokemon, such as the Rotom formes and Zapdos, clear Flying-type Pokemon from the field, while Medicham's Fighting-type STAB clears Rock-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Medicham has an expansive movepool, but sadly, there are few other moves it can use that don't make it outclassed by other Pokemon. Support-wise, Helping Hand is an option to increase the power of an ally's attack by 50%, though Medicham has better things to be doing. A dual screens set might look usable due to Medicham's decent defensive typing, but there are other Pokemon that have much better bulk or Speed, such as Musharna and Latias, respectively, that can pull it off better. Gravity increases Hi Jump Kick's accuracy, making it a bit more usable. Telepathy is a good ability for doubles, but Medicham is outclassed in this regard by Musharna and even Gardevoir, making Telepathy useless on it. Its main merit is Pure Power anyways, and not using it limits Medicham's effectiveness.</p>

<p>Bullet Punch gives Medicham some kind of physical priority, but it doesn't receive STAB and is fairly weak, as well as providing little coverage against Pokemon that trouble Medicham. Feint can be used to break Protects and Detects, making it easier for its ally to attack, but it takes up a moveslot, which is risky for Medicham. Fire Punch deals more damage to Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Scizor, but that's about it. Medicham's other Fighting-type STAB options, Force Palm and Low Sweep, are usable to either lower the opponents' Speed or paralyze them, helping both Medicham and its partner. However, Medicham needs the power of either Drain Punch or Low Kick to really be effective. A set with Endure and Reversal might look decent, but because pinch Berries are not yet released, it isn't as good in practice as it is on paper. Finally, Medicham can use a Fighting Gem to increase the power of its Fighting-type STAB attack to insane levels. For example, Medicham can OHKO 252 / 0 Metagross with a Fighting Gem-boosted Hi Jump Kick!</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>One can look at Medicham's ability and think it must be impossible to beat; however, there are countless Pokemon that can give it problems. Spiritomb and Sableye are immune to both of Medicham's STABs, making them great counters. They also have Will-O-Wisp to cripple Medicham for the remainder of the game. Shedinja walls Medicham completely unless Medicham is running Rock Slide. Bulky Psychic-type Pokemon, such as Cresselia and Latias, make great checks, as they resist both STAB attacks and can cripple Medicham with Thunder Wave. A well-timed Trick can screw over all of the aforementioned Pokemon, however, so be wary of that when facing Medicham. Faster Pokemon such as Gengar, Latios, and Tornadus can just OHKO Medicham before it can attack, though a surprise attack from the Choice Scarf set will be a problem for those Pokemon as well. A nice measure to keep Medicham in check is Trick Room, as Medicham often tries to be as fast as possible.</p>

GP APPROVED 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)