Sony Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale Announced

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Cue SSB rip-off!!!

Sony announced recently that they are launching a multiplayer fighting game in the vein of Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Nintendo fanboys will be in outrage because of this "rip-off", while Sony fanboys will be itching to see their favorite characters fight one another.

[youtube]v1bQSw7FOUQ[/youtube]

Joystiq.com Article

Edge online Article

To make this topic worth discussing, here are a few questions/points:

So what characters do you think are going to be in this?

Do you hate/love Sony any more for this?

Would you buy a game like this?

Personally, I think that this game will be interesting to see on the market. Although it'll likely garner a lot of criticism, you really can't blame Sony for copying a successful model for a fighting game. I mean, take a look at Tekken/Street Fighter/Soul Calibur/etc... Those all use a similar set-up in terms of fighting games. Nintendo also has been lacking in their SSB games, due to some characters not being used on the roster, so having another company make a clone with their own characters allows for much wider variety and playstyles. I'm not necessarily excited for this game, more so looking forward to seeing where this game will end up.

Anyways...

/discuss

Personally I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the news yesterday. Now though, probably will get it if more characters I like get in (as I do have a PS3), as none of the revealed ones so far pique my interest. I mean, the PS3 first party creations definitely aren't as good as Nintendo ones to me, but we'll see.

I don't care if it's a SSB rip-off, it's a completely different set of characters which honestly is a large part of the appeal of Smash Bros.

I'm hoping to see Crash Bandicoot as a character, even though he's no longer exclusive to the console he still has his roots there...

Sly
Cooper.

Seriously, if this game has Sly Cooper in it, I will literally throw my money at it.

EDIT @ below: Well, now I need to obtain roughly $400. :D

P.S. Etna should be in it too. *cross fingers*

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is going to have the worst fighting game roster ever. A friend and I have been really scratching our brains for ideas in the past week and it really just fails in an era where very little is Playstation exclusive anymore.

Before arguing consider the fact that Fat Princess is a revealed character.

Sly
Cooper.

Seriously, if this game has Sly Cooper in it, I will literally throw my money at it.

EDIT @ below: Well, now I need to obtain roughly $400. :D

P.S. Etna should be in it too. *cross fingers*
Sly 4 nigga, I'm waiting for that shit. Been waiting for years. Since this game has Sly in it, though, I'll probably get it too xD.

Hoping for Elena and Sully from Uncharted as well as Ezio as a third party character. If they're all in, day one buy from me.

Although I'll probably get it anyway

As someone who loves both Nintendo and Sony, I'm an incredibly excited for this game, especially if shit like Final Fantasy characters start getting confirmed. Consider Drake pretty much guaranteed along with everyone that's already been confirmed. I think it will be a great game.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It would be hopeful to get Lara Croft from SquareEnix. Considering they have their own fighting game, getting one of the FF7-10 characters is pretty unlikely.

They should be trying to get a hold of Hideo Kojima considering how much he lobbied for Solid Snake to be in SSB.

Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are both owned by Activision, who would be pretty greedy when it comes to licensing.

And then there's just no chance for a Resident Evil character.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus

locorocoorbust

I dunno, I have bias opinions on this thing and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Spyro should be in it though. Maybe I'd try it at a friends house...unless he complains that's it's an SSB rip-off.

rofl it looks like exactly the same game, down to the art style.
Yeah that was the first thing that struck me, I was like if I saw a screenshot of a battle from a distance, I would think it was brawl. They even copied the colored player numbers over the characters, with the exact same colors :/

Eh might be cool though.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
this is starting to look kinda bad from first glance. at first its like, its smash bros, but with playstation characters, thats cool. now you got this weird battle system and its probably gonna turn out like the ninja turtles game, which is a shame.

heres hoping im wrong.

Honestly, I'll probably get this only because absolutely everything available on the PS3 currently bores me (Borderlands 2 better be good). I'm expecting to see Sonic in this, even though I'm pretty sure SEGA is owned by Nintendo currently. Also hoping to see one of the FFXIII(2) characters to be playable (Caius!!!).

Beats me, terrible line up so far (lol, Fat Princess)

Battle system is shit, should of stuck to percentages instead of their super only ko system.

Buying this if it has Crash and Spyro though, always wanted to make those two fight

I'm going to reserve judgment on this game. I don't think a game needs to be original to be good (although the current stagnation in "mainstream" video games is appalling), but if I were to watch the video in the OP with the sound off and my contacts out, I'd probably guess I was watching Brawl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)