Aerodactyl (Done)

Haven't done this in a while

[Overview]

<p>Aerodactyl is one of the most feared Choice Band users in OU. Its access to unresisted coverage moves in Rock Slide, Double-Edge, and Earthquake allow the prehistoric tyrant to ravage the OU metagame. Aerodactyl's secondary Flying typing blesses it with an immunity to Earthquake, and more importantly Spikes, allowing it to hit hard throughout the match. Finally, as if it could get any better for Aerodactyl, it's tied for the fastest Pokemon in ADV OU with Jolteon, who is OHKOed by Earthquake. Despite all of these strengths, Aerodactyl is not without some serious intrinsic weaknesses. Aerodactyl's weakness to Ice Beam, Surf, Rock Slide, and other common moves in the ADV OU metagame prevent it from switching in as often as one would hope. Additionally, Aerodactyl's defenses are far from stellar; even non-STAB super effective moves will do significant damage to Aerodactyl, if not knocking it out. Don't let these flaws deter you from using Aerodactyl, because, if played to its strengths, Aerodactyl will cut through teams like butter.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Rock Slide
move 2: Double-Edge
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Hidden Power Flying
item: Choice Band
ability: Rock Head
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
ivs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Behold, one of the most dangerous late-game sweepers in ADV OU. Rock Slide is Aerodactyl's main STAB move, and combined with a Choice Band, it gives Aerodactyl the ability to flinch even sturdy walls such as Suicune and Milotic to oblivion. Other than flinching opposing Pokemon to death, Rock Slide is also useful for defeating Zapdos, Gyarados, Salamence, and opposing Aerodactyl. Double-Edge is Aerodactyl's strongest move, and combined with Rock Head, Aerodactyl can spam Double-Edge throughout the match. Double-Edge is also Aerodactyl's best choice against bulky Water-types in the early-game, ensuring that Aerodactyl can deal a blow heavy enough to where Aerodactyl or a teammate can sweep later in the game. Earthquake is chosen as the third option, as it provides excellent coverage alongside Rock Slide, and the two Pokemon that resist the combination of the aforementioned attacks, Flygon and Claydol, are hit hard by Double-Edge. Additionally, Earthquake also slams Jirachi and Metagross, two common Aerodactyl switch-ins. Hidden Power Flying rounds off the set by giving Aerodactyl a strong secondary STAB move that is useful against Celebi, Breloom, and Machamp.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band is necessary to ensure that Aerodactyl can sweep late-game. The EV spread listed takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's excellent offensive stats; max Attack is necessary to ensure that Aerodactyl is hitting as hard as possible, and max Speed is needed to outspeed everything with the exception of Jolteon and other Aerodactyl; the IVs ensure that Aerodactyl can Speed tie with opposing Aerodactyl and Jolteon when using Hidden Power Flying. An EV spread of 32 HP / 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 220 Spe is another viable option; this spread allows Aerodactyl to take a Thunderbolt from Gengar while still being able to outspeed Timid Raikou and Starmie.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really appreciates Spikes support to turn 3HKOs into 2HKOs, like against Suicune and Milotic. A specially defensive Skarmory makes for a great partner, as it can switch into a lot of the Pokemon that switch into Aerodactyl, such as Metagross, Suicune, Milotic, Swampert, and opposing Skarmory. Pokemon that can lure out and weaken or take out Aerodactyl's checks are also fine partners. Tyranitar is one of the better offensive partners for Aerodactyl, as it can deal huge chunks of damage to many of Aerodactyl's checks and can also negate their Leftovers recovery with Sand Stream. Metagross shares good defensive synergy with Aerodactyl and can take out Skarmory and bulky Water-types with ThunderPunch and Explosion, respectively. Zapdos and Celebi are also great partners due to their ability to force out bulky Water-types, ensuring that Water-types have to step on Spikes one more time if they want a chance to beat Aerodactyl.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really shines on offensively based Explosion teams. Prominent offensive Explosion users such as Metagross and Snorlax can defeat or severely weaken most of Aerodactyl's checks, as most teams can't handle more than one Explosion. After Water-types are eliminated, Dugtrio can trap and defeat weakened Normal-type resists, such as Jirachi and Metagross, increasing Aerodactyl's chances to sweep later in the game. It's important to remember that Aerodactyl really doesn't need too much support, as it can cut through most teams with a lucky flinch; thus, Spikes are probably Aerodactyl's best partners as it supports both Aerodactyl and the entire team. Once again, specially defensive Skarmory is an excellent Spikes user alongside Aerodactyl. Speaking of Spikes, bulky Taunt + Will-O-Wisp Gengar with maximum Special Attack EVs not only blocks Rapid Spin, but also has the potential to defeat Suicune and Milotic, both of which are common Aerodactyl switch-ins.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aerodactyl has a pretty big movepool, but should really stick with the given set. The only other viable set would consist of Rock Slide, Earthquake, Double-Edge, and Substitute with a Liechi Berry and an EV spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD. This set takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's ability to force switches and hit hard behind a Substitute. Toxic can be used over Double-Edge to cripple incoming Water-types; if using Toxic, be sure to use Pressure as Aerodactyl's ability. Fire Blast might seem useful to roast Skarmory, but Aerodactyl can beat Skarmory with Rock Slide. Taunt might also seem viable, but that would mean forgoing the necessary Choice Band for the mediocre Leftovers. If using Aerodactyl, it's best to stick with a Choice Band or a Substitute set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Aerodactyl is hard to counter, as it can strip away a win from you with an untimely flinch. However, Aerodactyl does have a good amount of checks. Metagross and Jirachi can switch into Aerodactyl's STAB moves and retaliate with Meteor Mash or Thunderbolt and Ice Punch, respectively. Jirachi deserves a special mention, as it can set up Reflect and Wish, further aiding your team by lessening Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess. However, Wish + Reflect Jirachi is not a better check to Aerodactyl, as Jirachi will lose super effective coverage due to Reflect. Bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Milotic, and Swampert can take any one attack from Aerodactyl and return the favor with a STAB Surf or Hydro Pump. Physically defensive Celebi can switch into any of Aerodactyl's moves bar Hidden Power Flying and set up Calm Mind or Leech Seed.</p>

<p>On more offensive teams, Intimidate is a great way to lessen Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess while giving your own team a chance to sweep. Great examples of viable Intimidate users are Salamence and Gyarados. It's worth noting that Salamence and Gyarados share excellent defensive synergy with Jirachi and Metagross. Salamence and Gyarados can switch into Aerodactyl's Earthquake which was meant to hit Metagross or Jirachi, set up a Dragon Dance, and proceed to sweep. Claydol can take a couple of Aerodactyl's hits in the early-game and retaliate with Ice Beam; however, Claydol is sure to lose in the late-game due to its lack of reliable recovery. Although Flygon can't switch into Double-Edge, having a Rock-type resistance is necessary to prevent Aerodactyl from running through your team. Also, Flygon pairs well with Metagross and Jirachi, ensuring that you have an offensive core that will give Aerodactyl trouble due to Flygon's and the aforementioned Steel-type's excellent defensive synergy. Skarmory can switch into any of Aerodactly's moves, set up Spikes, and Rest off any damage taken. More uncommon checks to Aerodactyl include Donphan and Steelix. Steelix in particular can take on Aerodactyl throughout the game due to its resistance to most of Aerodactyl's moveset and its excellent Defense stat. Remember that an untimely flinch can spell doom for your Aerodactyl check, so it's a good idea to have two Aerodactyl checks, or at least two Pokemon that can take a hit and OHKO Aerodactyl before it runs through your team. A fine example of this is a bulky Gengar capable of taking Rock Slide and hitting back with Thunderbolt.</p>

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Additionally, Earthquake also slams Jirachi and Aerodactyl, to common Aerodactyl switch-ins.
i assume you meant meta/tar

i would remove all of the other options (they're never useful). instead, add in a sub set with liechi berry.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I agree with gene's suggestions.

Be sure to mention the proper IVs for HP Flying so you force speed ties with Jolteon and rival Aerodactyls. It's the one with 31 speed and 30s everywhere else, IIRC.

fixed a typo, added ivs, added something in the oo. kept fire blast and taunt there so users no NOT to use them.
ready for approval

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You still have to fix some typos - 4 Atk / 252 Atk / 252 Spe?!?!

Teammates - Include Gengar as a nice offensive teammate for Aerodactyl. It's a nice double-switch against Water-types and Ground-types, and can spinblock to keep up the spikes offense. Surprise Fire Punch or Will-O-Wisp is nice to cripple Metagross / Jirachi.

Other Options - Toxic may be a potentially good alternative move over Double-Edge on the SubLiechi set to cripple Water and Ground-types through passive damage. Should go with Pressure if it's not using Double-Edge.

Checks and Counters - Needs a lot more meat.

~ Add Milotic in the list of bulky Water-types
~ Jirachi is more known for Thunderbolt than Ice Punch imo. It's ability to set up Reflect + Wish is also note-worthy.
~ Physically-defensive Celebi needs a mention; it can shrug off all hits not named HP Flying.
~ Ground types are totally missing - Flygon, Claydol, Steelix, and Donphan
~ Intimidate is a great utility to nullify Aerodactyl's Attack, making its sweep less likely. Salamence / Gyarados pairs well with Jirachi / Metagross, also because it can take advantage of the Steel-types forcing Aerodactyl to EQ to set up DD.

Thanks Pocket, I added most of your suggestions.

I didn't include Gengar as a teammate because Aerodactyl much rather be weakening Water-types with Spikes and/or Sand Stream as opposed to double switching to Gengar who can't do much to the likes of Suicune and Milotic. Suicune sets up Calm Minds and Milotic has a great Special Defense stat + Recover. I didn't add Flygon because most Aerodactyl users just spam Double-Edge early in the game. I kept Ice Punch cause it's a little more popular than Thunderbolt at the moment(although both aren't that popular).

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You forgot to mention the following:

~ Jirachi is more known for Thunderbolt than Ice Punch imo. It's ability to set up Reflect + Wish is also note-worthy.
~ Salamence / Gyarados pairs well with Jirachi / Metagross, also because it can take advantage of the Steel-types forcing Aerodactyl to EQ to set up DD.

Flygon should be added due to its resistance to Rock Slide, preventing Aerodactyl from mindlessly spamming Rock Slide for the clutch flinches. It also pairs well with Steel, Rock, or Ghost-types to absorb Double-Edge / HP Flying. Remember, Aerodactyl is choice-locked, so having a resistance to its key moves help. You use a combination of Pokemon to resist Aerodactyl's moves.

Also mention Gengar. There will be no Spikes for Aerodactyl if it gets spunned. Gengar beats Milotic / Suicune 1-on-1, especially in Sand.

Oh yea, also mention Zapdos and Celebi for their ability to force out Water-types, forcing them to take more Spikes damage.

I'll add what I forgot but once again, Ice Punch seems to be more common than Thunderbolt so I'll add the Reflect + Wish part.
I'll add Flygon.
I still don't see why Gengar should be added. Gengar can only beat Milotic if there's sand. without sand, Milotic is 4hko'd while gengar is 3hkod. Suicune has Calm Mind so i really don't see it losing to gengar. I'll add bulky taunt + wow gengar since that has the best chance to beat the two.
adding celebi + zapdos.

I would like to mention too that Explosion teams really love this guy (being able to take out threats with Explosion then have Aero come in and sweep) and Dugtrio was the ultimate sidekick back in the day for Aero. Duggy took care of some of the threats Aero had in this Gen including Celebi (with so Sdef EVs in there). Both of those ought to to be added in here as insights how to use Aero effectively.

Pocket

WARTHOG WARTHOG WARTHOG >:D

Dugtrio is certainly nice for trap & either KO or cripple Steel-, Water-, and Grass-types. Gengar, Metagross, Snorlax are really good Bombers. Gengar can boom on Blissey, Metagross can boom on Water-types, and Snorlax can pretty much boom on anything not named Gengar / Dusclops to leave the opponent at least crippled.

I still don't see why Gengar should be added. Gengar can only beat Milotic if there's sand. without sand, Milotic is 4hko'd while gengar is 3hkod. Suicune has Calm Mind so i really don't see it losing to gengar. I'll add bulky taunt + wow gengar since that has the best chance to beat the two.
Umm...

Timid max SpA Gengar's TB:

Milotic (252 HP): 43-51% (2HKO with sand & Spikes)
Suicune (252 HP): 53-63% (2HKO even after CM with sand & Spikes)

Basically, Milotic is forced to Recover while Gengar fishes for a crit and Suicune is basically forced out or dies as it fails to set up CMs. Remember, that Gengar switches in at the same time as Milotic / Suicune, meaning that they don't have a free turn to Surf / Calm Mind. If Gengar goes Modest, they're both dead meat.

phew, added everything. more suggestions and/or approvals
oh and i didnt see Pocket's last post. Most Gengar's don't run anywhere near max SpA, at least in my experience. They usually stop @ around 315-320

Pocket

Yes, bulky Gengar exist, but so does maxed out Gengar, which are fierce. You can simply specify Gengar with max SpA, just like you specified bulky Taunt + Wisp.

I trust that you will make this minor addition...

Approved (1/2)

PS: It's frowned upon to approve your own analysis... but I guess you can?

this looks really good now. added your last suggestion.
this looks like a really strong now. thank's everybody

i approve 2/2
ready for gp

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
am check

Remove
Add
Comment

[Overview]

<p>Aerodactyl is one of the most feared Choice Band users in OU. Aerodactyl's access to unresisted coverage moves in Rock Slide, Double-Edge, and Earthquake allow the prehistoric tyrant to ravage the OU metagame. Aerodactyl's secondary Flying-typeing [hyphen] blesses it with the an immunity to Earthquake and more importantly Spikes, allowing it to hit hard throughout the match. Finally, as if it could get any better for Aerodactyl, it's tied for the fastest Pokemon in ADV OU with Jolteon, who is OHKOed with Earthquake. Despite all these strengths, Aerodactyl is not without some serious intrinsic weaknesses. Aerodactyl's weakness to Ice Beam, Surf, Rock Slide, and other common moves in the ADV OU metagame prevent it from switching as often as one would hope. Additionally, Aerodactyl's defenses are far from stellar; even non-STAB super effective moves will do significant damage to Aerodactyl, if not knocking it out. Don't let these flaws deter you from using Aerodactyl as if played to its strengths Aerodactyl will cut through teams like butter.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Behold, one of the most dangerous late-game sweepers in ADV OU. Rock Slide is Aerodactyl's main STAB move, and combined with a Choice Band, it gives Aerodactyl the ability to flinch your even sturdy walls like such as Suicune and Milotic to oblivion. Other than flinching opposing Pokemon to death, Rock Slide is also useful for defeating Zapdos, Gyarados, Salamence, and opposing Aerodactyl's. Double-Edge is Aerodactyl's strongest move, and combined with Rock Head, assures that Aerodactyl can spam Double-Edge throughout the match. Double-Edge is also Aerodactyl's best choice against bulky Water-types in the early-game [hyphen], ensuring that you Aerodactyl can deal a blow heavy enough to where , so then Aerodactyl or a teammate can sweep a later in the game. Earthquake is chosen as the third option as it provides excellent coverage alongside Rock Slide and the two Pokemon that resist the combination of the aforementioned attacks, Flygon and Claydol, are hit hard by Double-Edge. Additionally, Earthquake also slams Jirachi and Metagross, two common Aerodactyl switch-ins. Hidden Power Flying rounds off the set by giving Aerodactyl a strong secondary STAB move that is useful against Celebi, Breloom, and Machamp.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band is necessity to ensure that Aerodactyl can sweep late-game. The EV spread listed takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's excellent offensive stats; max Attack is necessary to ensure that Aerodactyl is hitting as hard as possible and max Speed is needed to outspeed all of ADV OU with the exceptions of Jolteon and other Aerodactyl; the IVs ensure that you Aerodactyl outspeed opposing Aerodactyl and Jolteon when using Hidden Power Flying. An EV spread of 32 HP / 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 220 Spe is another viable option; the aforementioned spread allows Aerodactyl to take a Thunderbolt from Gengar while still outspeeding Timid Raikou and Starmie.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really appreciates Spikes support to turn 3HKOs into 2HKOs. A specially defensive Skarmory makes for a great partner as it can switch into a lot of the things Pokemon that switch into Aerodactyl, such as Metagross, Suicune, Milotic, Swampert, and opposing Skarmorys. Pokemon that can lure out and weaken or take out Aerodactyl's checks are also fine partners. Tyranitar is one of the better offensive partners for Aerodactyl as it can deal huge chunks of damage to many of Aerodactyl's checks and can also negate the Leftovers recovery with Sand Stream. Metagross shares good defensive synergy with Aerodactyl and can take out Skarmory and bulky Water-types with ThunderPunch [no space] and Explosion, respectively. Zapdos and Celebi are also great Aerodactyl partners due to their ability to force out bulky Water-types, ensuring that Water-types have to step on Spikes one more time if they want a chance to beat Aerodactyl.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really shines on offensively based Explosions teams. Prominent offensive Explosion users like such as Metagross and Snorlax can defeat or severely weaken most of Aerodactyl's checks as most teams can't handle more than one Explosion. After Water-types are eliminated, Dugtrio can trap and defeat weakened Normal-type resists, like for example Jirachi and Metagross, increasing Aerodactyl's sweeping chances later in the game. It's important to remember that Aerodactyl really doesn't need too much support as it can cut through most teams with a lucky flinch; thus, Spikes are probably Aerodactyl best partners as it supports Aerodactyl and your the entire team. Once again, specially fdefensive Skarmory is an excellent Spikes user to be used alongside Aerodactyl. Speaking of Spikes, Bulky Taunt + Will-O-Wisp Gengar or Gengar with maximum Special Attack EVs not only blocks Rapid Spin, but also has the potential to defeat Suicune and Milotic, both of whom are common Aerodactyl switch-ins.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aerodactyl has a pretty big movepool but you should really stick with the given set. The only other viable set would consist of Rock Slide, Earthquake, Double-Edge, Substitute, Liechi Berry, and an EV spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD. The aforementioned set takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's ability to force switches and hit hard behind a Substitute. Toxic can be used over Double-Edge to cripple the incoming Water-type on a switch; if using Toxic be sure to use Pressure as Aerodactyl's ability. However, the Choice Band set is generally the superior option. Fire Blast may seem useful to roast Skarmory, but Aerodactyl can beat Skarmory with Rock Slide. Taunt may seem viable but that would mean forgoing the necessary Choice Band for the mediocre Leftovers. If you're using Aerodactyl, it's best to stick with a Choice Band or a Substitute set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Aerodactyl is hard to counter as it can strip away a win from you with an untimely flinch.; [semicolon] Hhowever, Aerodactyl does have a good amount of checks. Metagross and Jirachi can switch into Aerodactyl's STAB moves and retaliate with Meteor Mash or Ice Punch, respectively. Jirachi deserves a special mention as it can set up Reflect and Wish, further lessening Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess. Bulky Water-types like such as Suicune, Milotic and Swampert can take any one attack from Swampert Aerodactyl and return the favor with a STAB Surf or Hydro Pump. Physically defensive Celebi can switch into any of Aerodactyl's moves, bar Hidden Power Flying, and start setting up Calm Mind or Leech Seed. On more offensive teams, Intimidate is a great way to lessen Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess ability, while giving your own team a chance to sweep. Great examples of viable Intimidate users are Salamence and Gyarados. It's worth noting that Salamence and Gyarados share excellent defensive synergy with Jirachi and Metagross. Salamence or Gyarados can switch into an Aerodactyl's Earthquake meant to hit Metagross or Jirachi, set up a Dragon Dance, and proceed to sweep. Claydol can take a couple of Aerodactyl's hits in the earlygame [hyphen] and retaliate with Ice Beam; however, Claydol is sure to lose in the late-game due to its lack of reliable recovery. Although Flygon can't switch into Double-Edge, having a Rock-type resistance is necessary to prevent Aerodactyl from running through your team. Also, Flygon pairs well with Metagross and Jirachi, ensuring you have an offensive core that will give Aerodactyl trouble due to the Flygon's and the aforementioned Steel-type's excellent defensive synergy. Skarmory can switch into any of Aerodactly's moves, set up Spikes, and Rest off any damage taken. More uncommon checks to Aerodactyl include Donphan and Steelix. Steelix in particular can take on Aerodactyl throughout the game due to its resistance to most of Aerodactyl's moveset and its excellent Defense stat. Remember than an untimely flinch can spell doom for your Aerodactyl check so it's a good idea to have if not two Aerodactyl checks, then two Pokemon that can take a hit and OHKO Aerodactyl before it runs through your team. A fine example of this is a bulky Gengar capable of taking a Rock Slide and hitting back with a Thunderbolt.</p>

Nice job writing this!

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
adding celebi + zapdos.
You have to add gengar because Aerodactyl works best with Spikes, and without a spinblocker you aren't going anywhere. Thunderbolt hurts Suicune and Milotic a lot anyway, and gengar can giga drain swampert etc

Tamahome

startling sign
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Jirachi using Thunderbolt is still a thing, I'd love to see that being mentioned in Checks and Counters section. About the Reflect + Wish set, just something to think about: if you're the Jirachi user and you come in any other move besides Earthquake, you'll be safe with or without Reflect, cause once its effects wores off, you still won't have a reliable counter for Aerodactyl in Jirachi. What I mean: having Reflect there won't help you that much, cause if the opponents uses Earthquake you'll have to switch back anyway. Jirachi is just a check because it can use Thunderbolt and Ice Punch, the Reflect set is just a supporter for the rest of the team, but necessarily won't help more than if you were using one SE move.

Still on the aforementioned section, are you sure Claydol's Ice Beam retaliates Aerodactyl? 0 SAtk Claydol using Ice Beam vs 4 HP/ 0 SDef Aerodactyl: 44%~51%. So yeah, you can't even be sure you'll 2HKO it as will be 3HKO'd before by Double-Edge.

I really hope you can understand my point in the first paragraph, lol.

ill add your point about jirachi momentarily.
about claydol, people seem to be running a lot more than 0 SpA so that's why i listed it

On it ^.^

[Overview]

<p>Aerodactyl is one of the most feared Choice Band users in OU. Aerodactyl's Its access to unresisted coverage moves in Rock Slide, Double-Edge, and Earthquake allow the prehistoric tyrant to ravage the OU metagame. Aerodactyl's secondary Flying typing blesses it with an immunity to Earthquake and more importantly Spikes, allowing it to hit hard throughout the match. Finally, as if it could get any better for Aerodactyl, it's tied for the fastest Pokemon in ADV OU with Jolteon, who is OHKOed with Earthquake. Despite all these strengths, Aerodactyl is not without some serious intrinsic weaknesses. Aerodactyl's weakness to Ice Beam, Surf, Rock Slide, and other common moves in the ADV OU metagame prevent it from switching as often as one would hope. Additionally, Aerodactyl's defenses are far from stellar; even non-STAB super effective moves will do significant damage to Aerodactyl, if not knocking it out. Don't let these flaws deter you from using Aerodactyl,(comma) as if played to its strengths Aerodactyl will cut through teams like butter.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Behold, one of the most dangerous late-game sweepers in ADV OU. Rock Slide is Aerodactyl's main STAB move, and combined with a Choice Band, it gives Aerodactyl the ability to flinch even sturdy walls such as Suicune and Milotic to oblivion. Other than flinching opposing Pokemon to death, Rock Slide is also useful for defeating Zapdos, Gyarados, Salamence, and opposing Aerodactyl's. Double-Edge is Aerodactyl's strongest move, and combined with Rock Head, assures that Aerodactyl can spam Double-Edge throughout the match. Double-Edge is also Aerodactyl's best choice against bulky Water-types in the early-game, ensuring that Aerodactyl can deal a blow heavy enough to where Aerodactyl or a teammate can sweep a later in the game. Earthquake is chosen as the third option as it provides excellent coverage alongside Rock Slide,(comma) and the two Pokemon that resist the combination of the aforementioned attacks, Flygon and Claydol, are hit hard by Double-Edge. Additionally, Earthquake also slams Jirachi and Metagross, two common Aerodactyl switch-ins. Hidden Power Flying rounds off the set by giving Aerodactyl a strong secondary STAB move that is useful against Celebi, Breloom, and Machamp.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band is a necessity to ensure that Aerodactyl can sweep late-game. The EV spread listed takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's excellent offensive stats; max Attack is necessary to ensure that Aerodactyl is hitting as hard as possible and max Speed is needed to outspeed all of ADV OU with the exception of Jolteon and other Aerodactyl; the IVs ensure that Aerodactyl outspeed opposing Aerodactyl and Jolteon when using Hidden Power Flying. An EV spread of 32 HP / 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 220 Spe is another viable option; the aforementioned spread allows Aerodactyl to take a Thunderbolt from Gengar while still outspeeding Timid Raikou and Starmie.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really appreciates Spikes support to turn 3HKOs into 2HKOs. A specially defensive Skarmory makes for a great partner as it can switch into a lot of the Pokemon that switch into Aerodactyl, such as Metagross, Suicune, Milotic, Swampert, and opposing Skarmory. Pokemon that can lure out and weaken or take out Aerodactyl's checks are also fine partners. Tyranitar is one of the better offensive partners for Aerodactyl as it can deal huge chunks of damage to many of Aerodactyl's checks and can also negate their Leftovers recovery with Sand Stream. Metagross shares good defensive synergy with Aerodactyl and can take out Skarmory and bulky Water-types with Thunder Punch and Explosion, respectively. Zapdos and Celebi are also great Aerodactyl partners due to their ability to force out bulky Water-types, ensuring that Water-types have to step on Spikes one more time if they want a chance to beat Aerodactyl.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really shines on offensively based Explosions teams. Prominent offensive Explosion users such as Metagross and Snorlax can defeat or severely weaken most of Aerodactyl's checks as most teams can't handle more than one Explosion. After Water-types are eliminated, Dugtrio can trap and defeat weakened Normal-type resists, for example Jirachi and Metagross, increasing Aerodactyl's sweeping chances later in the game. It's important to remember that Aerodactyl really doesn't need too much support as it can cut through most teams with a lucky flinch; thus, Spikes are probably Aerodactyl best partners as it supports Aerodactyl and the entire team. Once again, specially defensive Skarmory is an excellent Spikes user alongside Aerodactyl. Speaking of Spikes, Bulky Taunt + Will-O-Wisp Gengar or Gengar with maximum Special Attack EVs not only blocks Rapid Spin, but also has the potential to defeat Suicune and Milotic, both of whom which are common Aerodactyl switch-ins.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aerodactyl has a pretty big movepool but should really stick with the given set. The only other viable set would consist of Rock Slide, Earthquake, Double-Edge, Substitute, Liechi Berry, and an EV spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD. The aforementioned set takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's ability to force switches and hit hard behind a Substitute. Toxic can be used over Double-Edge to cripple the incoming Water-type on a switch; if using Toxic,(comma) be sure to use Pressure as Aerodactyl's ability. However, the Choice Band set is generally the superior option. Fire Blast may might seem useful to roast Skarmory, but Aerodactyl can beat Skarmory with Rock Slide. Taunt may might also seem viable,(comma) but that would mean forgoing the necessary Choice Band for the mediocre Leftovers. If using Aerodactyl, it's best to stick with a Choice Band or a Substitute set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Aerodactyl is hard to counter as it can strip away a win from you with an untimely flinch. However, Aerodactyl does have a good amount of checks. Metagross and Jirachi can switch into Aerodactyl's STAB moves and retaliate with Meteor Mash or Thunderbolt (and/or Ice Punch), respectively. Jirachi deserves a special mention as it can set up Reflect and Wish, further aiding your team by lessening Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess. However, Wish + Reflect Jirachi is not a better check to Aerodactyl as Jirachi losses super effective coverage with due to Reflect. Bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Milotic,(comma) and Swampert can take any one attack from Aerodactyl and return the favor with a STAB Surf or Hydro Pump. Physically defensive Celebi can switch into any of Aerodactyl's moves, bar Hidden Power Flying, and start setting up Calm Mind or Leech Seed.</p>

<p>On more offensive teams, Intimidate is a great way to lessen Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess, while giving your own team a chance to sweep. Great examples of viable Intimidate users are Salamence and Gyarados. It's worth noting that Salamence and Gyarados share excellent defensive synergy with Jirachi and Metagross. Salamence or Gyarados can switch into an Aerodactyl's Earthquake meant to hit Metagross or Jirachi, set up a Dragon Dance, and proceed to sweep. Claydol can take a couple of Aerodactyl's hits in the early-game and retaliate with Ice Beam; however, Claydol is sure to lose in the late-game due to its lack of reliable recovery. Although Flygon can't switch into Double-Edge, having a Rock-type resistance is necessary to prevent Aerodactyl from running through your team. Also, Flygon pairs well with Metagross and Jirachi, ensuring you have an offensive core that will give Aerodactyl trouble due to the Flygon's and the aforementioned Steel-type's excellent defensive synergy. Skarmory can switch into any of Aerodactly's moves, set up Spikes, and Rest off any damage taken. More uncommon checks to Aerodactyl include Donphan and Steelix. Steelix in particular can take on Aerodactyl throughout the game due to its resistance to most of Aerodactyl's moveset and its excellent Defense stat. Remember than an untimely flinch can spell doom for your Aerodactyl check so it's a good idea to have if not two Aerodactyl checks, then or at least two Pokemon that can take a hit and OHKO Aerodactyl before it runs through your team. A fine example of this is a bulky Gengar capable of taking a Rock Slide and hitting back with a Thunderbolt.</p>

Nice work ^.^ I broke up the last paragraph into two because it was kinda long; if you'd rather break it somewhere else, feel free to :)
[gp]1/2[/gp]

[Overview]

<p>Aerodactyl is one of the most feared Choice Band users in OU. Its access to unresisted coverage moves in Rock Slide, Double-Edge, and Earthquake allow the prehistoric tyrant to ravage the OU metagame. Aerodactyl's secondary Flying typing blesses it with an immunity to Earthquake and more importantly Spikes, allowing it to hit hard throughout the match. Finally, as if it could get any better for Aerodactyl, it's tied for the fastest Pokemon in ADV OU with Jolteon, who is OHKOed withby Earthquake. Despite all of these strengths, Aerodactyl is not without some serious intrinsic weaknesses. Aerodactyl's weakness to Ice Beam, Surf, Rock Slide, and other common moves in the ADV OU metagame prevent it from switching in as often as one would hope. Additionally, Aerodactyl's defenses are far from stellar; even non-STAB super effective moves will do significant damage to Aerodactyl, if not knocking it out. Don't let these flaws deter you from using Aerodactyl, as, if played to its strengths, Aerodactyl will cut through teams like butter.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Behold, one of the most dangerous late-game sweepers in ADV OU. Rock Slide is Aerodactyl's main STAB move, and combined with a Choice Band, it gives Aerodactyl the ability to flinch even sturdy walls such as Suicune and Milotic to oblivion. Other than flinching opposing Pokemon to death, Rock Slide is also useful for defeating Zapdos, Gyarados, Salamence, and opposing Aerodactyl's. Double-Edge is Aerodactyl's strongest move, and combined with Rock Head, Aerodactyl can spam Double-Edge throughout the match. Double-Edge is also Aerodactyl's best choice against bulky Water-types in the early-game, ensuring that Aerodactyl can deal a blow heavy enough to where Aerodactyl or a teammate can sweep later in the game. Earthquake is chosen as the third option, as it provides excellent coverage alongside Rock Slide, and the two Pokemon that resist the combination of the aforementioned attacks, Flygon and Claydol, are hit hard by Double-Edge. Additionally, Earthquake also slams Jirachi and Metagross, two common Aerodactyl switch-ins. Hidden Power Flying rounds off the set by giving Aerodactyl a strong secondary STAB move that is useful against Celebi, Breloom, and Machamp.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band is a necessitary to ensure that Aerodactyl can sweep late-game. The EV spread listed takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's excellent offensive stats; max Attack is necessary to ensure that Aerodactyl is hitting as hard as possible, and max Speed is needed to outspeed all of ADV OUeverything with the exception of Jolteon and other Aerodactyl; the IVs ensure that Aerodactyl outspeedcan Speed tie with opposing Aerodactyl and Jolteon when using Hidden Power Flying. An EV spread of 32 HP / 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 220 Spe is another viable option; the aforementioned spread allows Aerodactyl to take a Thunderbolt from Gengar while still being able to outspeeding Timid Raikou and Starmie.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really appreciates Spikes support to turn 3HKOs into 2HKOs, most notably... examples. A specially defensive Skarmory makes for a great partner, as it can switch into a lot of the Pokemon that switch into Aerodactyl, such as Metagross, Suicune, Milotic, Swampert, and opposing Skarmory. Pokemon that can lure out and weaken or take out Aerodactyl's checks are also fine partners. Tyranitar is one of the better offensive partners for Aerodactyl, as it can deal huge chunks of damage to many of Aerodactyl's checks and can also negate their Leftovers recovery with Sand Stream. Metagross shares good defensive synergy with Aerodactyl and can take out Skarmory and bulky Water-types with Thunder Punch and Explosion, respectively. Zapdos and Celebi are also great Aerodactyl partners due to their ability to force out bulky Water-types, ensuring that Water-types have to step on Spikes one more time if they want a chance to beat Aerodactyl.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really shines on offensively based Explosions teams. Prominent offensive Explosion users such as Metagross and Snorlax can defeat or severely weaken most of Aerodactyl's checks, as most teams can't handle more than one Explosion. After Water-types are eliminated, Dugtrio can trap and defeat weakened Normal-type resists, for examplesuch as Jirachi and Metagross, increasing Aerodactyl's sweeping chanceschances to sweep later in the game. It's important to remember that Aerodactyl really doesn't need too much support, as it can cut through most teams with a lucky flinch; thus, Spikes are probably Aerodactyl's best partners as it supports both Aerodactyl and the entire team. Once again, specially defensive Skarmory is an excellent Spikes user alongside Aerodactyl. Speaking of Spikes, Bbulky Taunt + Will-O-Wisp Gengar or Gengar with maximum Special Attack EVs not only blocks Rapid Spin, but also has the potential to defeat Suicune and Milotic, both of which are common Aerodactyl switch-ins.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aerodactyl has a pretty big movepool, but should really stick with the given set. The only other viable set would consist of Rock Slide, Earthquake, Double-Edge, and Substitute, with a Liechi Berry, and an EV spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD. The aforementioned set takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's ability to force switches and hit hard behind a Substitute. Toxic can be used over Double-Edge to cripple the incoming Water-type on a switchs; if using Toxic, be sure to use Pressure as Aerodactyl's ability. However, the Choice Band set is generally the superior option. Fire Blast might seem useful to roast Skarmory, but Aerodactyl can beat Skarmory with Rock Slide. Taunt might also seem viable, but that would mean forgoing the necessary Choice Band for the mediocre Leftovers. If using Aerodactyl, it's best to stick with a Choice Band or a Substitute set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Aerodactyl is hard to counter, as it can strip away a win from you with an untimely flinch. However, Aerodactyl does have a good amount of checks. Metagross and Jirachi can switch into Aerodactyl's STAB moves and retaliate with Meteor Mash or Thunderbolt( and/or Ice Punch), respectively. Jirachi deserves a special mention, as it can set up Reflect and Wish, further aiding your team by lessening Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess. However, Wish + Reflect Jirachi is not a better check to Aerodactyl, as Jirachi will losses super effective coverage due to Reflect. Bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Milotic, and Swampert can take any one attack from Aerodactyl and return the favor with a STAB Surf or Hydro Pump. Physically defensive Celebi can switch into any of Aerodactyl's moves, bar Hidden Power Flying, and start settinget up Calm Mind or Leech Seed.</p>

<p>On more offensive teams, Intimidate is a great way to lessen Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess, while giving your own team a chance to sweep. Great examples of viable Intimidate users are Salamence and Gyarados. It's worth noting that Salamence and Gyarados share excellent defensive synergy with Jirachi and Metagross. Salamence or Gyarados can switch into an Aerodactyl's Earthquake which was meant to hit Metagross or Jirachi, set up a Dragon Dance, and proceed to sweep. Claydol can take a couple of Aerodactyl's hits in the early-game and retaliate with Ice Beam; however, Claydol is sure to lose in the late-game due to its lack of reliable recovery. Although Flygon can't switch into Double-Edge, having a Rock-type resistance is necessary to prevent Aerodactyl from running through your team. Also, Flygon pairs well with Metagross and Jirachi, ensuring that you have an offensive core that will give Aerodactyl trouble due to Flygon's and the aforementioned Steel-type's excellent defensive synergy. Skarmory can switch into any of Aerodactly's moves, set up Spikes, and Rest off any damage taken. More uncommon checks to Aerodactyl include Donphan and Steelix. Steelix in particular can take on Aerodactyl throughout the game due to its resistance to most of Aerodactyl's moveset and its excellent Defense stat. Remember thant an untimely flinch can spell doom for your Aerodactyl check, so it's a good idea to have two Aerodactyl checks, or at least two Pokemon that can take a hit and OHKO Aerodactyl before it runs through your team. A fine example of this is a bulky Gengar capable of taking a Rock Slide and hitting back with a Thunderbolt.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Aerodactyl is one of the most feared Choice Band users in OU. Its access to unresisted coverage moves in Rock Slide, Double-Edge, and Earthquake allow the prehistoric tyrant to ravage the OU metagame. Aerodactyl's secondary Flying typing blesses it with an immunity to Earthquake and more importantly Spikes, allowing it to hit hard throughout the match. Finally, as if it could get any better for Aerodactyl, it's tied for the fastest Pokemon in ADV OU with Jolteon, who is OHKOed by Earthquake. Despite all of these strengths, Aerodactyl is not without some serious intrinsic weaknesses. Aerodactyl's weakness to Ice Beam, Surf, Rock Slide, and other common moves in the ADV OU metagame prevent it from switching in as often as one would hope. Additionally, Aerodactyl's defenses are far from stellar; even non-STAB super effective moves will do significant damage to Aerodactyl, if not knocking it out. Don't let these flaws deter you from using Aerodactyl, as, if played to its strengths, Aerodactyl will cut through teams like butter.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Behold, one of the most dangerous late-game sweepers in ADV OU. Rock Slide is Aerodactyl's main STAB move, and combined with a Choice Band, it gives Aerodactyl the ability to flinch even sturdy walls such as Suicune and Milotic to oblivion. Other than flinching opposing Pokemon to death, Rock Slide is also useful for defeating Zapdos, Gyarados, Salamence, and opposing Aerodactyl. Double-Edge is Aerodactyl's strongest move, and combined with Rock Head, Aerodactyl can spam Double-Edge throughout the match. Double-Edge is also Aerodactyl's best choice against bulky Water-types in the early-game, ensuring that Aerodactyl can deal a blow heavy enough to where Aerodactyl or a teammate can sweep later in the game. Earthquake is chosen as the third option, as it provides excellent coverage alongside Rock Slide, and the two Pokemon that resist the combination of the aforementioned attacks, Flygon and Claydol, are hit hard by Double-Edge. Additionally, Earthquake also slams Jirachi and Metagross, two common Aerodactyl switch-ins. Hidden Power Flying rounds off the set by giving Aerodactyl a strong secondary STAB move that is useful against Celebi, Breloom, and Machamp.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band is necessary to ensure that Aerodactyl can sweep late-game. The EV spread listed takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's excellent offensive stats; max Attack is necessary to ensure that Aerodactyl is hitting as hard as possible, and max Speed is needed to outspeed everything with the exception of Jolteon and other Aerodactyl; the IVs ensure that Aerodactyl can Speed tie with opposing Aerodactyl and Jolteon when using Hidden Power Flying. An EV spread of 32 HP / 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 220 Spe is another viable option; the aforementioned spread allows Aerodactyl to take a Thunderbolt from Gengar while still being able to outspeed Timid Raikou and Starmie.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really appreciates Spikes support to turn 3HKOs into 2HKOs, most notably... examples. A specially defensive Skarmory makes for a great partner, as it can switch into a lot of the Pokemon that switch into Aerodactyl, such as Metagross, Suicune, Milotic, Swampert, and opposing Skarmory. Pokemon that can lure out and weaken or take out Aerodactyl's checks are also fine partners. Tyranitar is one of the better offensive partners for Aerodactyl, as it can deal huge chunks of damage to many of Aerodactyl's checks and can also negate their Leftovers recovery with Sand Stream. Metagross shares good defensive synergy with Aerodactyl and can take out Skarmory and bulky Water-types with Thunder Punch and Explosion, respectively. Zapdos and Celebi are also great partners due to their ability to force out bulky Water-types, ensuring that Water-types have to step on Spikes one more time if they want a chance to beat Aerodactyl.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl really shines on offensively based Explosions teams. Prominent offensive Explosion users such as Metagross and Snorlax can defeat or severely weaken most of Aerodactyl's checks, as most teams can't handle more than one Explosion. After Water-types are eliminated, Dugtrio can trap and defeat weakened Normal-type resists, such as Jirachi and Metagross, increasing Aerodactyl's chances to sweep later in the game. It's important to remember that Aerodactyl really doesn't need too much support, as it can cut through most teams with a lucky flinch; thus, Spikes are probably Aerodactyl's best partners as it supports both Aerodactyl and the entire team. Once again, specially defensive Skarmory is an excellent Spikes user alongside Aerodactyl. Speaking of Spikes, bulky Taunt + Will-O-Wisp Gengar with maximum Special Attack EVs not only blocks Rapid Spin, but also has the potential to defeat Suicune and Milotic, both of which are common Aerodactyl switch-ins.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Aerodactyl has a pretty big movepool, but should really stick with the given set. The only other viable set would consist of Rock Slide, Earthquake, Double-Edge, and Substitute with a Liechi Berry and an EV spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD. The aforementioned set takes full advantage of Aerodactyl's ability to force switches and hit hard behind a Substitute. Toxic can be used over Double-Edge to cripple incoming Water-types; if using Toxic, be sure to use Pressure as Aerodactyl's ability. Fire Blast might seem useful to roast Skarmory, but Aerodactyl can beat Skarmory with Rock Slide. Taunt might also seem viable, but that would mean forgoing the necessary Choice Band for the mediocre Leftovers. If using Aerodactyl, it's best to stick with a Choice Band or a Substitute set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Aerodactyl is hard to counter, as it can strip away a win from you with an untimely flinch. However, Aerodactyl does have a good amount of checks. Metagross and Jirachi can switch into Aerodactyl's STAB moves and retaliate with Meteor Mash or Thunderbolt and Ice Punch, respectively. Jirachi deserves a special mention, as it can set up Reflect and Wish, further aiding your team by lessening Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess. However, Wish + Reflect Jirachi is not a better check to Aerodactyl, as Jirachi will lose super effective coverage due to Reflect. Bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Milotic, and Swampert can take any one attack from Aerodactyl and return the favor with a STAB Surf or Hydro Pump. Physically defensive Celebi can switch into any of Aerodactyl's moves bar Hidden Power Flying and set up Calm Mind or Leech Seed.</p>

<p>On more offensive teams, Intimidate is a great way to lessen Aerodactyl's sweeping prowess while giving your own team a chance to sweep. Great examples of viable Intimidate users are Salamence and Gyarados. It's worth noting that Salamence and Gyarados share excellent defensive synergy with Jirachi and Metagross. Salamence or Gyarados can switch into Aerodactyl's Earthquake which was meant to hit Metagross or Jirachi, set up a Dragon Dance, and proceed to sweep. Claydol can take a couple of Aerodactyl's hits in the early-game and retaliate with Ice Beam; however, Claydol is sure to lose in the late-game due to its lack of reliable recovery. Although Flygon can't switch into Double-Edge, having a Rock-type resistance is necessary to prevent Aerodactyl from running through your team. Also, Flygon pairs well with Metagross and Jirachi, ensuring that you have an offensive core that will give Aerodactyl trouble due to Flygon's and the aforementioned Steel-type's excellent defensive synergy. Skarmory can switch into any of Aerodactly's moves, set up Spikes, and Rest off any damage taken. More uncommon checks to Aerodactyl include Donphan and Steelix. Steelix in particular can take on Aerodactyl throughout the game due to its resistance to most of Aerodactyl's moveset and its excellent Defense stat. Remember that an untimely flinch can spell doom for your Aerodactyl check, so it's a good idea to have two Aerodactyl checks, or at least two Pokemon that can take a hit and OHKO Aerodactyl before it runs through your team. A fine example of this is a bulky Gengar capable of taking Rock Slide and hitting back with Thunderbolt.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)