RU Research Week #10 - Regirock, Gabite, Seismitoad, Bouffalant

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Some rules and stuff stolen from Honko :toast:

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Like I said before, feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
The main point of this is to see how some lesser seen RU pokemon fare in the current metagame. Each research week will actually be 2 one week long stages. In the first stage, you are free to theorymon about the pokemon chosen for Research week and talk about what roles / niches they fill and how they fare in the metagame. The second week, feel free to post logs showcasing how the pokemon fared in standard play and talk about how they did in comparison to expectations etc. This extends to IRC, where you can talk about the pokemon / sets you used in either #rarelyused or #pokemon!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here or send me a PM with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
This Week's Research Pokemon:

|
|
|

Be Creative!
  • To go along with the point system being used for RU Awards, the best posters in this thread will receive points towards the awards.
  • Points will be awarded based on certain criteria. Below, there will be challenges listed for Research Week participants. Points will be given at the discretion of judges. Make sure to make your posts as detailed as possible!​
Challenges

• Create and test a set you would use as your "designated lead". If you are unfamiliar with the term designated lead, check out the RU Leads thread!​
  • Create and test a set that utilizes the move Curse. Explain what pokemon are good partners for this set​
  • Create and test a set that effectively utilizies Rain Dance. Explain what pokemon are good partners for this set​
  • Create and test a support Seismitoad set​
  • Create and test a set that effectively utilizes Hone Claws​
  • Create and test a set that effectively uses Gabite as a Weather setter. Explain what advantages Gabite has over other Weather setters.​
  • Create and test a set that effectively utilizes the move Taunt.​
Lastly, remember that these are not the only sets you can test during research week! Feel free to be even more creative than the challenges, and in general just discuss the pokemon!

~Points~
Posting a viable set that completes one of the challenges above - 1 point
Getting in the top 5 on the PS RU ladder with one of the above Pokemon - 2 points
Getting in the top 5 on the PS RU ladder with one of the above Pokemon that meets one of the challenges - 3 points
You can earn more points by getting in the top 5 on the ladder with different, fresh alts using a different research week Pokemon or by completing a different challenge.

Alt List
august - sceptile kid2
Molk - BITE
ShakeItUP - Rodeo Drive
TropiOUs - NU upset
The QWAZ - RockBlock
Detroit Lolcat - Sir Cattington II
Zebraiken - AFROBULL
Demist - raizer
Pocket - Colorado
BigBlue - RibbitRibbit

lol
havent used Seismitoad, so I'll use that (I've been meaning to test out a cool new weather too ;) )
alt: Dranzer

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
A legitimate reason to use Regirock, I like it.

alt: NU upset

I've been using Bouffalant on my alt bab00n, but there's probably been some games before I started using him. I'll probably share some of my experiences with him, but I won't be doing a challenge, methinks.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Gabite @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dual Chop

Okay so, ive used gabite in about 15 battles, won all of them, and i have to say im impressed! Ive been using CB gabite in my ladder run, and while 90 attack isnt up to par with some other common choice banders such as aggron, it is just enough to get the job done, especially with those two excellent STABs. Gabite also has the unique niche of being the fastest dragon in RU, sitting at a good base 82 speed, just beating out things like medicham, gallade, kabutops, Mesprit, Nidoqueen, the hitmons, and gatr. I personally like a jolly nature because i like to speed creep, but adamant is an option for sure. Gabite's ground typing helps it out when it comes to switching in by giving him a rock resist, along with an immunity to electric and paralysis. Gabite pairs well with all the fire-types in the tier such as Entei, Magmortar, Moltres, and Typhlosion. Gabite's 2 best counters, Tangrowth and Ferroseed, both hate these guys, and in magmortar's case, gives them a free switch in. Gabite can also get rid of lanturn and the other RW mon regirock rather easily, clearing the path the fires. Gabite also works well with entry hazard support from smeargle to secure some KOs.

Gabite's main flaw from what ive seen is that its very hard to switch in due to its fraility, unless its a resisted attack or thunder wave, gabite will be taking a lot as it comes in, gabite's fraility also makes it easily revenge killed when its locked into outrage, so watch out for that as well. Im not in the top 5 yet, but im well on my way there thanks to this little fellow!

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
OP said:
Create and test a set that effectively utilizes Hone Claws
DARGON RASH OM NOM NOM

(maybe i'll try that). Gonna start with Regirock, though. He should make a good partner for Hitmongod, as everything is a good partner with Hitmongod.

Alt: Sir Cattington II

I do not plan on making an alt, but someone told me to make an Amoongus team anyway for RU, so I shall try to use Regirock for the purposes of supporting this Research Week more extensively.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well I just started using Regirock + Bouffalant on a Trick Room team and they certainly don't disappoint!

Seismitoad seems like a poor Rain Inducer, since it can't safely bring in Swift Swimmers like say Uxie or Lanturn, and it doesn't exactly have big offense to abuse the rain itself (unless it forgoes Damp Rock for Life Orb). Stellar posted a support set, though, which warrants a test drive :d

Alt: Colorado

I don't understand Pocket.

Seimitoad isn't supposed to set up rain for teammates, it's supposed to use it itself, with a Life Orb. It should never run Damp Rock, as it needs all the power it can get. Seismitoad has all the tools it needs to succeed with this set:

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Swift Swim / Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Seismitoad should be played like RD Ludicolo, set up and then sweep like hell for 5 turns. Hydro Pump is scarily powerful, but Surf is an option if you have Spikes support. Eart Power mauls Electric-types, and is a powerful secondary STAB move in general. Then there's Sludge Wave that can dispose of Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Sawsbuck. Don't let Seismitoad's Special Attack fool you (85 is perfectly decent when backed by two strong STAB moves, Rain and LO).

I suppose a bulky set could set up RD for its teammates while also providing SR, but at that point you're better off with Uxie or Lanturn, as you said. No, Seismitoad is a Rain sweeper, not a supporter. (I'm not saying the defensive set is bad, I'm saying it shouldn't be used to set up RD for teammates).

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The thing is there's really no reason to use Seismitoad when there are superior Swift Swimmers available in Kabutops, Ludicolo, Gorebyss, Omastar, etc. It doesn't help that Seismitoad will be annihilated by the latter two Swift Swimmers if the opponent was happening to run a rain team.

Seismitoad just seems outclassed to me. I should probably give it a proper test if I finish playing with Regirock and Bouffalant.

august

is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Been using a dedicated lead Regirock on my research week alt and have done well so far, peaking 4th on my research week account and #1 on my main

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Specially Defensive Regirock is awesome right now. It still has the necessary bulk to take pretty much any physical attack there is, and can take on Flying-types like Braviary, Scyther, and Swellow. It will pretty much always get Stealth Rock up, and it cant be easily spun on by Kabutops, as Regirock 2HKOes it and Kabutops cannot 2HKO unboosted. I chose Rock Slide over Stone Edge because I really hate missing against Moltres.

Speaking of Moltres, this set is a pretty good switch in to Moltres! Protect allows you to scout against Choiced users like Escavalier and Rotom-c and also allows you to get Leftovers recovery!

Proof

This screenshot is before i got haxed a ridiculous amount vs Max Speed Max Special Defensive NP Cofagrigus btw ^

Pocket

I'm currently #6 on the ladder, and since the 5th place is so darn elusive I'm just going to post the TR sets for now:

EDIT: OK, #2 now, lol.

Regirock @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def | 0 Spe IV
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Fire Punch / Ice Punch

LO provides Regirock the destructive power that +ve base 100 Atk still lacks. Curse proved to be excellent for under-speeding slow shit like Escavalier and to provide even more Atk boost when I am unsure what the opponent will bring in. At times its power output may be disappointing - +1 LO Stone Edge only inflicts 75-89% to standard Slowking; Regirock can still 2HKO with +0 Stone Edge before Slowking can retaliate thanks to 0 Spe IVs, though. Offensive Slowking doesn't stand a chance!

You would think Rhydon would be a much better mon for TR teams, and you do have a point. Access to STAB EQ and Megahorn is amazing, and it has base 130 Atk so it doesn't really need to hold LO either. Regirock's pure Rock-typing does make it a much less exploitable mon, though, as opposed to Rhydon's quad weakness to Grass and Water (Regirock isn't afraid of switching into random HP Grass from the likes of LO Entei, etc). I'll probably swap Regirock for Rhydon after I reach top #5 and see how it works out.

I used to have Ice Punch for Ground-types like Sandslash, but after getting walled by Ferroseed, I'm like fuck it Fire Punch it is.

Since Regirock is still gonna get fucked up by Sceptile, Nidoqueen, etc a solid check to these threats are well-appreciated. Pokemon that can break through tough-to-break physical walls and set up Trick Rooms are also what allows Curse Regirock to shine. Exeggutor and Slowking are great choices, since both of them set up TR and check Sceptile and Nidoqueen, respectively. Druddigon can also check Sceptile while doubling up as an efficient wallbreaker so Regirock can clean late-game. Druddigon is also a decent check to physical Water-types like Crawdaunt. Cofagrigus is nice for setting up Trick Room, destroying physical walls, and checking Fighting-types, which beats Regirock.

Bouffalant @ Life Orb
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Return
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Megahorn

Bouffalant is baller - its overall bulk and its nice typing makes it take surprisingly strong hits :D. It's actually a nice check to stuff like Nidoqueen. Regirock and Bouffalant makes a decent bulky defensive core, which can be further augmented with Fighting-resists like Cofagrigus and Exeggutor. Sap Sipper's Grass immunity and free attack boost is a god-send for TR teams, allowing it to check Lilligant and absorb Spores / Sleep Powder / Leech Seed for the team. Taunt is actually quite darn useful to prevent slower mons like Steelix / Ferroseed from setting up hazards and statusing my mons. Bouffalant has just enough Speed to shut down these annoying defensive mons that would otherwise wear down my team. Sure Swords Dance may probably be awesome over Taunt for pure annihilation, but it'll be overkill / waste of TR turns most of the time, and Taunt can stall break as well as having more utility anyways.

Bouffalant's moveset went through quite a few changes. Head Charge and Wild Charge was scrapped immediately after the recoil damages caused Bouffalant to suffer a premature death. Return already packs enough power. The fourth slot used to be Head Charge in case I needed the power and then Outrage to hit Archeops and Cofagrigus for hard damage, but in the end I found more use in Megahorn for annihilating Uxie and Tangrowth.

Not much luck with Seismitoad unfortunately this week got to around rank 50 but nothing special I guess the Seimitoad/Motres/Uxie(In the rain) core I have been working with needs some tuning. On the otherhand I have had great success with pinsir actually, it would be interesting if he was to pop next week... "hint hint"(winks eye)

Hey guys. Just notifying you that I changed the "Posting a viable set that completes one of the challenges above" to equal 1 point instead of 3. It's kinda hard to judge if a set that completed a challenge is actually viable and would be used, and most people are posting lots of sets with ease. People who posted sets before this post, though, (and in research week 9) got three points and the Round 1 points post was updated to reflect that.

In other words, all 4 of these mons are really good and underrated, but I'll probably stick to Regirock, Gabite, and Bouffalant.

alt - Gabite

Seismitoad @ Damp Rock
Trait: Swift Swim
252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Stealth Rock
-Earth Power

This thing is meant only for rain teams. Due to Seismitoad's solid bulk, setting up a Rain Dance with this thing is not hard. It can then begin to destroy the opponent with a Rain-boosted Hydro Pump, or just set up Stealth Rock if one knows their opponent has something like a Focus Sasher or if they know you can't KO the Pokemon that is currently in. Earth Power is pretty much a filler that's used to hit stuff that resists Hydro Pump, although it is really not needed. Good partners for this set are common Rain Dance abusers, such as Gorebyss and Omastar. A Timid nature is used because this thing is not really supposed to sweep the opponent, so it does not need the extra bit of power. Timid allows it to outrun stuff like Scarf Manectric in rain that would otherwise outrun it. This thing is a solid lead against the majority of the metagame, and almost always gets up Rain Dance successfully.

Regirock @ Heat Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Sunny Day
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Fire Punch

Regirock is a solid lead in the metagame, and it is especially viable for setting up Sunny Day for sun teams. It also stops set-up attackers since it hits very hard with max investment in Attack. STAB Stone Edge destroys a lot of the metagame, and Fire Punch wrecks all Steel-types, especially in sun. Regirock is also extremely bulky defensively, Steelix's EQ only doing about 30% to it. Regirock can also set up Stealth Rock due to its great defensive capabilities. It beats almost every common lead in the metagame, bar Smeargle. Regirock is also a solid way for sun teams to take on Pokemon such as Moltres later in the game. It almost always does its job while destroying the opposition, making it a great lead.

Gabite @ Heat Rock
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 SAtk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Rush
- Earthquake

Gabite is an interesting and effective choice as a weather starter. It can force switches relatively easily with its amazing coverage, meaning that it is very easy to get a Sunny Day off. This is its main advantage over other weather starters. Gabite is also relatively fast; 240 Speed EVs let it outrun all +Speed nature base 80s, such as Mesprit, which is crucial since it lets it get off Sunny Day before going down. Dragon Rush and Earthquake provide amazing coverage together, and can make Gabite a threat despite its relatively low Attack stat. Fire Blast allows Gabite to destroy Pokemon like Escavalier, Steelix, and Ferroseed in the sun, and makes for a great surprise that can nab Gabite a kill.

august

OGC Leader
Awesome posts so far guys!

Shake - have you ever considered Drain Punch on your Regirock, possibly over Fire Punch? With Drain Punch you can sap HP from Aggron and others and atleast get a little bit of extra recovery, since you run no Leftovers. Since you are running a Sunny Day set, the rest of your team can likely still hit the pokemon that Fire Punch would, like Steelix or Escavalier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)