Boss and Boots! (Peak 27th PS)

Boss and Boots!!

A Dark Horse Project Hall of Fame team.

Howdy all, Looking for feedback and assistance on making this Anti-meta team Better to Climb PS ladder! Currently sitting at 1909 This is my first competitive RMT and I hope to take this team as high as possible. This team came together as a conglomeration of a few offensive cores and anti meta game pokemon. The idea is pretty simple hit them with big heavy things till they can't stand anymore. I didn't want to go full hyper offensive as my play style tends to waver when I can't check at least some things. I would like to ask that You keep Honchkrow, Virizion and Rotom-H in mind when you asses changes to the team, as they were the basis.

In depth

Changes Made in Red

Boots (Virizion) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat​

Boots, the man with the Tiniest boots! An old old gen 5 set that in my opinion should have never fell from use. With Keldo being added to the team I went back to a Full physical set with Stone Edge. Unboosted Close Combat 0hk0's Tyranitar while Unboosted leaf Blade drops all but physically defensive Politoed. Sadly he can't take physical hits very well and common scarfers are his bane for sweeping (genesect, salamence). With faster threats out of the way he can do some serious damage to teams. This guy does his job well and with the Help of Rotom-H makes my battles with weather teams less stressful.

Cookies (Rotom-Heat) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split​

Say hello to one of my favorite Special walls in BW2. Walls any genesect set short of a specs +1 hp Rock, or a Choice band +1 explosion. Works well with Virizion to stop common weather cores, as he can lead vs 99% of Genesects and WoW the switch in or if you know they are doing a heatran switch just switch out. His typing has been my both a blessing and a curse, as he helps we with threats most people hate like genesect, scizor, Mamoswine(few are taking Stone Edge for coverage),Tornadus-t, Thundurus-t, SF Landorus and to a small extent Jirachi. The other side of the coin is Its weak to Water and SR.

Continuing to save my bacon, as everyone and their mom is running genesect.

Boss (Honchkrow) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Drill Peck​

Lets talk about a pokemon that a meta game isn't ready for. This guy climbed himself to the UU ladder and in my opinion should make another jump up. All too often do I find people foddering a pokemon to Boss and proceeding to get swept. This guys main problem or mine I should say, is he is all about prediction. Sadly this leads to over predicting from time to time. There has been 0 games played with this team so far where he didn't net a kill. The second part of my Oh crap I don't have a scarfer so I need priority core. The beauty of this guy is most rain teams that give my team trouble, aren't ready for Honchkrow. Been thinking about trying Night Slash over Drill Peck. This lets me Drop Jellicent more reliably and makes it so I can hit Jirachi with something other than Superpower but it also limits his usage to just a few turns with BB being his biggest non priority attack. With that being said I almost feel like Superpower is hax with Moxie though with only a few exceptions where you need to coverage to hit subs U_U( I hate you Jirachi). I'm thinking about running Heat wave over Superpower, I lose the ability to hit T-tar and Heatran for more than nothing(Virizion/Infernape anyways), but I get a better answer to Most steels and can worry less about the stat recoil. I just find myself facing T-tar and Heatran more and have enjoyed the coverage.

As a side note, sucker punch KO scarfed Salamence, Latios, Haxorus and dragons locked into Outrage that don't have a multiscale intact.

Jimmies (Gastrodon) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Recover

Recent addition to the team, My offensive answer to rain teams. Removes my general scald weakness my team suffered from before, as well as helping sponge hits from threats I don't have answers for. This set can Take any hit from scarf Terrakion and KO back with Surf. Recover is the weak link slot that lets him tank hits better, but Could be dropped for Toxic /Hidden power: Grass so he doesn't get walled as bad. Opted for a More offensive threat as the two types of attacks I need this pokemon to take he is immune to, so I didn't want to lose momentum with a tank set. Adds another pokemon to cock block genesect.

Science (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball​

After fixing my Fire and rain weakness this guy has stepped his game up for my team. I went with a full defensive set to make him check threats I have Problems with a little better ie. Terrakion. I have been thinking of changing volt Switch to EQ or HP:ice to hit a few more threats, but I like the slow VS so I don't become setup bait. Almost want to add HP:ice for Gliscor, as this guy is my goto man to keep all the SD Gliscors not behind subs for Keldeo.

Dildos (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind
- Icy Wind

My Infernape replacement. Can setup next to Volcarona, Wipes out Pink Blob as a special sweeper. Gives me a second Mon to setup with that tends to Work better than Virizion late game. He can take a scald, and any attack from Terrakion and KO back with his Stabs. Icy Wind lets me sweep past Dragons and gives me a speed advantage on faster threats that switch into it. This might be one of my only special attackers that I like simply because of secret sword turning him into a strong pseudo mixed sweeper. All around I have been happy with the switch ! I went with leftovers instead of Life orb for longevity.

Ok so let's talk about what I have the most problems with

>No scarfer, so at times revenging isn't possible

>Gyarados

> Virizion is my only answer to bulky Waters, as Rotom-H can volt switch out on some but usually not worth the risk.

> Latias, While I have ways to play around Her, with proper prediction my team gets pooped on my Calm mind sets.

Hopefully the team doesn't need a complete overhaul to function at higher tiers of play, but thanks for any support or impute that can be offered!

Also as a note sorry about the barebones RMT I'll be adding more to it, just currently at work ;)

Importable
Boss (Honchkrow) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Drill Peck

Cookies (Rotom-Heat) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Boots (Virizion) @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Science (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Jimmies (Gastrodon) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover

Dildos (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind
- Icy Wind

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

Your team looks pretty solid, and although I don't know why, Honchkrow just makes me like this team a lot. I think a pretty big problem for your team is indeed Rock Types, as they can use their bulk to take hits while OHKO'ing Honchkrow, Dragonite, and Rotom-H in the process. Choice Scarf Terrakion is a pretty big threat; pummeling Virizion and Infernape with Close Combat, as well as falling your flyers with Stone Edge. Hazards also look problematic, as although you have a spinner, your team still has too many pokemon weak to SR and Spikes- and Forretress can only come in so many times, especially because it's not the bulky set. Water types look like a threat as well, not only because your resists can't take many boosted hits, but also because your resists are totally wrecked by Scald burns, making coming in on even Politoeds or Jellicents a huge gamble. Rotom-H looks like the base of your problems. Although it may seem very obvious to change it for Rotom-W, it is definitely to be considered, because it can do everything just as well, and even more.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Calm nature, 112 HP / 114 SpA / 252 SpD
Volt Switch / Hydro Pump / Wil-o-Wisp / Pain Split

Rotom patches up all of your team's problems. It takes away one stealth rock weakness and gives you an adequate pivot that doesn't mind switching and doing its job. Rotom can also tank Scalds for you- using its awesome special bulk and resistance. It can even utilize the burn to act as a status sponge later in matches, although instances where you'd have to do that are rare. Rotom's Hydro Pump quickly diminishes any EdgeQuake user- including, but not restricted to, Landorus, Terrakion, Tyranitar, Dugtrio, etc. Wil-o-Wisp cripples physical attackers, easing Virizion's set up and allowing you to play a bit riskier. Volt Switch again allows you to use Rotom as a pivot, dealing damage and switching to and fro, and annoying the heck out of your opponent.

Genesect becomes more of a problem with Rotom-W, however you have some other moderately stable ways to handle Gene. The best way to deal with Genesect when you don't actually have a counter is to use Nape to feign Scarf and then deal with Gene later. If worst comes to worst, you could even change Nape into a scarf set, but I don't see why that's really necessary, as you don't have room for U-Turn, nor is Genesect that big of a problem for you to totally underhaul your mixed sweeper. Be wary however, because your only set up sweeper will always be outsped by nearly any common scarfer, you will be relying in priority to clean up faster threats, which is not always reliable, because your priority moves do not have good coverage (Sucker Punch, ESpeed, and Mach Punch) Changing Nape to a scarf would help with this, but that decision is really up to you.

All in all, cool team. I hope I helped. Good luck!

Hi,

Your team looks pretty solid, and although I don't know why, Honchkrow just makes me like this team a lot. I think a pretty big problem for your team is indeed Rock Types, as they can use their bulk to take hits while OHKO'ing Honchkrow, Dragonite, and Rotom-H in the process. Choice Scarf Terrakion is a pretty big threat; pummeling Virizion and Infernape with Close Combat, as well as falling your flyers with Stone Edge. Hazards also look problematic, as although you have a spinner, your team still has too many pokemon weak to SR and Spikes- and Forretress can only come in so many times, especially because it's not the bulky set. Water types look like a threat as well, not only because your resists can't take many boosted hits, but also because your resists are totally wrecked by Scald burns, making coming in on even Politoeds or Jellicents a huge gamble. Rotom-H looks like the base of your problems. Although it may seem very obvious to change it for Rotom-W, it is definitely to be considered, because it can do everything just as well, and even more.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Calm nature, 112 HP / 114 SpA / 252 SpD
Volt Switch / Hydro Pump / Wil-o-Wisp / Pain Split

Rotom patches up all of your team's problems. It takes away one stealth rock weakness and gives you an adequate pivot that doesn't mind switching and doing its job. Rotom can also tank Scalds for you- using its awesome special bulk and resistance. It can even utilize the burn to act as a status sponge later in matches, although instances where you'd have to do that are rare. Rotom's Hydro Pump quickly diminishes any EdgeQuake user- including, but not restricted to, Landorus, Terrakion, Tyranitar, Dugtrio, etc. Wil-o-Wisp cripples physical attackers, easing Virizion's set up and allowing you to play a bit riskier. Volt Switch again allows you to use Rotom as a pivot, dealing damage and switching to and fro, and annoying the heck out of your opponent.

Genesect becomes more of a problem with Rotom-W, however you have some other moderately stable ways to handle Gene. The best way to deal with Genesect when you don't actually have a counter is to use Nape to feign Scarf and then deal with Gene later. If worst comes to worst, you could even change Nape into a scarf set, but I don't see why that's really necessary, as you don't have room for U-Turn, nor is Genesect that big of a problem for you to totally underhaul your mixed sweeper. Be wary however, because your only set up sweeper will always be outsped by nearly any common scarfer, you will be relying in priority to clean up faster threats, which is not always reliable, because your priority moves do not have good coverage (Sucker Punch, ESpeed, and Mach Punch) Changing Nape to a scarf would help with this, but that decision is really up to you.

All in all, cool team. I hope I helped. Good luck!
I actually never thought about switching to rotom-w, thanks for the tip man, Scarf Infernape would then help with genesect but kinda puts me in the same spot I am now with terrakion Mach punch does around 70% , with a scarf we would speed tie and it would be a toss up on who got the CC off first. I'm going to give the changes a go and let you know how it plays out ! Thanks again !

Well, something that could help against the terrakion weakness would be to add a physically defensive celebi somewhere in there--I'd probably suggest over dnite, as he seems the least integral to the team. This set can have stealth rock, which takes some pressure off of forretress, and provides you a solid water resist. In addition, it can even run heal bell, which will allow you to heal scald burns and other statuses. It does have a bit of 4MSS, but it should be able to fit your needs. Forretress could then have spikes > stealth rock, and could use a more SpD set since celebi will provide a physically defensive presence.

Just a note: on honchkrow, lower the HP IV to 29. This will reduce LO recoil by a point, which could hypothetically give you an extra attack.

Just looking through the team, Dnite really seems the weakest link here--yes, it's powerful, but it doesn't do much to check volcarona at +1 after SR, and it just adds to your rock and hazard weakness. This would either have to be instead of celebi or replacing something else, but you could try using something like scarfmie or scarfkeldeo, which outspeed volc at +1 and do a ton of damage. Starmie has the advantage of outspeeding scarf terrakion and of revenging +1 gyara with tbolt. Scarfkeldeo meanwhile is a more secure volc check as it can live a hit even at +1 if it can't OHKO. It can even run hp [electric] to beat gyarados, which allows you to keep your 31 speed IV. It speed ties with scarfterrakion though, so choose which is more threatening between scarf terra and volc. Starmie also has the added benefit of learning trick, which can be used against stall. If you wanted to use one of these and celebi, I would probably recommend replacing infernape, as they basically take over checking terrakion and volc, while breaking through physical walls much more easily.

Hope my comments helped, I really like the originality of the team. GL!

Hi there nice team and its nice to see pokes in UU given a chance to prove themselves in OU.

First of try running that physically defensive celebi.This gives a nice resistance to water and heal bell will come in handy and also try the bulky work up virizion.
These changes will bring a huge weakness to sun teams so try sp def heatran instead of rotom-H . rotom-W is a nice addition to deal with rain.
Tornadus-T is a threat just like terrakion but terrakion can be dealt with mach punch after few def drops or prior dmg but SUB SD terrakion can destroy you team.
For tornadus-T you might want to look at sp def jirachi over rotom-H.
A priority user like CB scizor or mamoswine will also help.

ss234

bop.
This team looks really good. Nice job.

I don't know much about OU, but 29HP ev's on Honchkrow lowers your attack. You could also run Pursuit in the last slot. This makes it easy for you to get the ball rolling with his Moxie boosts. Roost could also work there, as with SR, LO and Brave Bird recoil, Honchkrow will be going down quickly, although it is unlikely you will be able to use it what with all the weather abusers around. GL.

You have a solid team here, your biggest problem is rain teams, your team does not like any way to get in Hydro Pump which still makes more power because of the rain hitting on OHKO virtually its entire team, Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T will also cause a lot of work because you can not trade in Thunder or Hurricane,Terrakion and other big problem because you also can not swap in a Close Combat him,I suggest you test Jirachi and Amoonguss.

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
Careful | 252 Hp / 32 Def / 224 Spdef
Steath Rock | Iron Head | Body Slam | Wish

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge | Regenerator
Calm | 252 Hp / 112 Def / 144 Spdef
Spore | Clear Smog | Giga Dain | Hidden Power(Ice/Fire)

this will cause the team to be weak to sun teams
amoongus is not gona help reduce the weakness to thundurus-T Tornadus-T and gyarados jirachi can handle the therians but gyarados is gona be tough.

An update, tweaked the team a bit, going to try to keep the Rotom-H, Virizion, Honchkrow core alive for my Dark Horse Project Ladder climb.

Testing update, swapped Infernape for Keldeo. They both accomplished similar goals, but Keldeos typing made him way better for what I needed. Swapped Dragonite for LO Gastrodon, now have a reliable water check and can still keep up forward momentum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)