Ambipom [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Metric

is banned in America
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

AMBIPOM!

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Ambipom is no longer the Pokemon it was in DPP. Team Preview has diminished its usefulness as a scouting lead, and in the UU metagame, it finds itself struggling to compete with the stronger Pokemon that now inhabit the tier. Even Ambipom's niche as a fast offensive Normal-type is at stake, as it now faces competition from Cinccino for this title. As dire as things might be for Ambipom, its strong priority in Fake Out and better coverage still help to differentiate it from Cinccino, which is otherwise the superior Pokemon of the two. Fortunately for Ambipom, it also remains one of the faster Pokemon in UU, and the combination of Fake Out and Return can still dispose of frail or weakened Pokemon with ease, while its coverage moves together with the threat of Switcheroo have the potential to take would be counters by surprise. Be warned, though, that Ambipom is not the type of Pokemon you can just throw onto a team and expect instant improvements; in fact, doing so will usually have the opposite effect.</p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Return
move 3: Low Kick
move 4: Beat Up / Shadow Claw
item: Life Orb
ability: Technician
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Strong priority, coverage, and Speed are what Ambipom has going for it, and this set looks to utilize these elements to the fullest. Ambipom's Fake Out is a useful tool for revenging weakened faster Pokemon and maintaining offensive momentum. The combination of Technician-boosted Fake Out and STAB Return will do significant damage to Pokemon lacking bulk or a resistance to it. Low Kick looks to deals with Rock- and Steel-types that would shrug off Normal-type assaults, while Beat Up does away with Ghost-types that are immune to the rest of Ambipom's moves. Low Kick's variable Base Power works well with Technician, as Technician boosts it against foes it hits for low Base Power, while it still maintains high power against heavier Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Registeel. Beat Up is Ambipom's best shot at damaging defensive juggernauts such as Cofagrigus and Slowbro, cleanly 2HKOing Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus with a team of at least five remaining Pokemon and having a chance to 2HKO defensive Slowbro after Stealth Rock with a full team of six. Beat Up also possesses the useful ability to OHKO Focus Sash Froslass as its multiple hits break through her sash. While lacking the benefits of Beat Up, Shadow Claw is a more reliable alternative and still fares well against Ghost-types such as Chandelure and Mismagius.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is the item of choice here as it allows Ambipom to maintain coverage while striking as hard as possible. The given EVs maximize Ambipom's Attack and Speed, while the leftover EVs are placed in Special Defense to avoid giving Pokemon with the Download ability a Special Attack boost. Low Sweep is an option over Low Kick, providing a potentially useful Speed drop. However, be aware that Low Sweep strengthens the power of Gyro Ball, most notably from Bronzong, a common Ambipom switch-in. Seed Bomb is also an option over Low Kick, as it is able to 2HKO Rhyperior and OHKO Swampert, which usually take Ambipom's other moves with relative ease.</p>

<p>As with all offensive Pokemon, hazards enhance Ambipom's efficacy. Qwilfish makes a fine teammate for Ambipom, as it can switch in comfortably on the Fighting-types that Ambipom tends to draw and lay Spikes. Roserade can also support with Spikes and can set up with ease on bulky Water-types that love to switch into Ambipom as well as defensive Ghost-types such as Cofagrigus and Dusclops. Swampert is a good source of Stealth Rock and can sponge hits directed at Ambipom thanks to its great bulk and typing. Offensively, Ambipom works well with Heracross, which can deal with problematic Pokemon such as Rhyperior while Ambipom is able to lure and severely injure Cofagrigus, which Heracross has an incredibly hard time breaking through. Mienshao is in a similar boat to Heracross, but it can also help break through Gligar, which Ambipom struggles to beat, with a timely Hidden Power Ice.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 2: Low Kick
move 3: Beat Up / Pursuit
move 4: Switcheroo / U-turn
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works well due to the popularity of Ambipom's Life Orb set. Pokemon expecting to sponge a Fake Out will take a powerful Choice Band-boosted Return to the face. As this set has no priority to fall back on, it is very reliant on Ambipom's Speed in order to do work. Return is its main weapon, with Low Kick providing coverage against Rock- and Steel-types. The last two moves are where it gets interesting. Beat Up is just as good as it is on the Life Orb set and does the same job, namely keeping Ghost-types at bay. Pursuit, however, is an interesting choice, as it gives Ambipom the opportunity to trap Pokemon such as Chandelure Choice-locked into Shadow Ball. Outside of this, however, a weak Dark-type move is a dangerous thing to be locked into, so exercise caution when using it. Switcheroo is undoubtedly the ace up Ambipom's sleeve. It has the ability to cripple the many defensive Pokemon that commonly switch into Ambipom, such as Suicune, Dusclops, and Slowbro. Be careful about using Switcheroo against physically based Ambipom counters such as Rhyperior, however, as this strategy can end up backfiring. U-turn is a usable alternative, allowing Ambipom to take advantage of the switches that it causes to maintain offensive momentum by gaining a more favorable match-up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs bolster Ambipom's Attack and Speed as much as possible, while the remaining EVs are placed in Special Defense to deny Download Pokemon a Special Attack boost. As with the Life Orb set, hazards are very much appreciated. Qwilfish and Roserade make great partners for their ability to set up and sponge hits from Fighting-types and bulky Water- or Ghost-types respectively. Bronzong is a novel choice for Stealth Rock as it can weather hits in Ambipom's stead while throwing out Toxic to break down defensive Pokemon, making them easier to run through later on. Offensively, this Ambipom pairs well with Azumarill because of its ability to hamper bulky Water-types by leaving them stuck with a Choice Band. Azumarill, which usually struggles to get past bulky Water-types, will have a far easier time with them Choice-locked and unable to counter it properly. In return, Azumarill easily deals with Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Gligar, which tend to cause Ambipom problems. Rotom-H works well as an offensive partner too and, when Ambipom is using U-turn, can form a VoltTurn duo with it. Rotom-H zaps bulky Water-types and fries problematic Steel-types such as Bronzong and Registeel, while Ambipom breaks through Umbreon and Snorlax in return.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>The moves listed in the above sets are those which Ambipom will get the most use out of; however, its relatively wide movepool grants it quite a few alternative options. Fire Punch does a decent amount of damage to Bronzong and can combat the rare Escavalier. Aerial Ace hits Fighting-types such as Hitmontop hard and is boosted by Technician, but outside of this, its coverage is redundant. Thunder Wave, Knock Off, and Taunt are all good support moves, but Ambipom's poor bulk means that it will have difficulty using the moves effectively. Ambipom is also able to boost its stats via Hone Claws, Agility, and Nasty Plot; however once again, Ambipom's frailty means it is often hard-pressed to find an opportunity to use such moves without taking heavy damage. Ambipom can also Baton Pass the aforementioned boosts, but such a job is better left to more sturdy Pokemon, such as Mew and Togekiss. Lastly, while a moveset of nothing but Fake Out and Last Resort may look appealing, it requires far too much support to be worthwhile and is easily walled otherwise.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ambipom can hit hard, but it doesn't hit excessively hard. As such, Pokemon which have immunities and resistances to its STAB moves, as well as those which possess natural bulk, make good counters to it. Sableye stands out as a great counter, as it is immune to both Ambipom's Normal- and Fighting-type moves and can shrug off its Dark- and Ghost-type coverage moves. Sableye can burn Ambipom with Will-O-Wisp, Recover off any damage done, and seriously hurt it with Foul Play. Bulky Steel-types such as Bronzong, Registeel, and Cobalion can cause Ambipom problems, with Cobalion being able to OHKO with its Fighting-type move of choice. However, with the exception of Bronzong, these Pokemon should be wary of Low Kick as it will leave a mark, especially on Cobalion that do not invest in Defense. Rhyperior is in a similar category as the Steel-types, but doesn't have to fear Low Kick as much thanks to Solid Rock and its gargantuan defense. It does have to watch out for the odd Seed Bomb though, as it will 2HKO. Bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Milotic and Slowbro all make fine switch-ins and have the potential to burn Ambipom with Scald. Beat Up with a full team will hurt Slowbro, but Regenerator can offset the damage done. Switcheroo is a danger to all defensive Pokemon, and as such, proceed with extra caution against the Choice Band set.</p>

<p>If taking hits is not an option, faster Pokemon with strong or super effective moves are a good way to check Ambipom. Pokemon that fit this bill include Crobat, Weavile, and Choice Scarf Heracross. Strong priority from the likes of Azumarill, Arcanine, and Honchkrow can also put Ambipom away swiftly. Ambipom is winning no awards defensively, so most neutral hits send it to the grave soon enough.</p>

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why not slash Low Sweep with Low Kick? 90 BP is very good, and the Speed drop may come handy. Low Sweep allows you to beat any DD Kingdra that attempts to set-up on Ambipom, as the combo of Low Sweep + Return 2HKO it 100% of the time. If you brought Ambipom against a Steel/Rock type that Ambipom can scare out with Low Kick, the opponent may try to bring in Scarf Heracross or Crobat, who both get 2HKOed by Low Sweep + Return + SR (Crobat has a small chance to get 2HKOed if he is at max health, but with only 10% prior damage it dies). I can't think of any other scenarios, but lowring the Speed even of pokes that are already slower than you is still useful, as then a teammate of yours that would normally be unable to outspeed and revenge kill will now be able to do so.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Make sure you talk about how this differentiates itself from Cincinno in the analysis (dark and fighting coverage and priority).

Make sure you talk about how this differentiates itself from Cincinno in the analysis (dark and fighting coverage and priority).
Not an expert in UU or anything but is it really worth talking about a NU Pokemon that is slightly uncommon to a rather common UU Pokemon? Cincnno and Ambipom are also very different Pokemon now that Cincinno has Skill Link - they usually don't run any similar moves and the only real similarity is their typing and speed... just my POV but still.

I'm pretty sure the point flare is making is that if you aren't using Ambipom's Dark/Fighting Coverage and Priority, you'd be much better off using Cincinno. Hence, it should be mentioned in the analysis that Ambipom is outclassed if it's not making use of the things that differentiate it from the less common but in reality otherwise superior Cincinno. If i'm not mistaken, Cincinno is also *reasonably* popular with a few of the top players, so I definitely support the mention.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Yes, it's worth talking about because Cinccino is better than Ambipom, and as such, you have to explain the reasons for using Ambipom instead of Cinccino.

Metric

is banned in America
Thanks for the input and suggestions so far.

Full Skeleton now up with changes.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
This isn't something very important, but Shadow Claw is probably better than Payback because if you hit Cofagrigus, Mummy doesn't fuck you over.

Shadow Claw still activates Mummy, so that's not worth it.

EDIT: Hm, forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder there, Kokoloko.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yes but Technician would no longer boost Payback, making the second hit only 50 BP.

Anyway, I don't know shit about Ambipom because I'd rather use good Pokemon, so I'll let other QC people weigh in here. One thing I really want, though, is that you acknowledge that Ambipom is very rarely worth using and that 99% of the time there will be something better to use. As per the Update Overviews project, of course.

Also Seed Bomb is mostly for Rhyperior, not Swampert like the outline currently states.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Low Kick should be slashed over Low Sweep. I'm not even sure if Low Sweep should be a main option at this point instead of AC but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt. 9 times out of 10 your opponent is switching in their Bronzong, Rhyperior, Cofagrigus into Ambipom. Situations like Kingdra attempting to set up on Ambipom are extremely rare and not worth a consistent decrease in power. (120 BP & 100 against Rhyperior & Bronzong vs 90!!!)

Metric

is banned in America
This isn't something very important, but Shadow Claw is probably better than Payback because if you hit Cofagrigus, Mummy doesn't fuck you over.
Good point, implemented.

Anyway, I don't know shit about Ambipom because I'd rather use good Pokemon, so I'll let other QC people weigh in here. One thing I really want, though, is that you acknowledge that Ambipom is very rarely worth using and that 99% of the time there will be something better to use. As per the Update Overviews project, of course.

Also Seed Bomb is mostly for Rhyperior, not Swampert like the outline currently states.
Yeah, I read that update too. Don't let the enthusiasm of this skeleton fool you, I have no intention of hyping up Ambipom, and I will be completely honest about its limitations in the full write-up.

And thanks for the heads up on Seed Bomb, added.

Low Kick should be slashed over Low Sweep. I'm not even sure if Low Sweep should be a main option at this point instead of AC but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt. 9 times out of 10 your opponent is switching in their Bronzong, Rhyperior, Cofagrigus into Ambipom. Situations like Kingdra attempting to set up on Ambipom are extremely rare and not worth a consistent decrease in power. (120 BP & 100 against Rhyperior & Bronzong vs 90!!!)
I agree. I actually had it that way before, omitting Low Sweep. Low Sweep powers up the opponent's Gyro Ball too, which is not cool.

I didn't add it because of the Kingdra situation, Kingdra shouldn't set up on Ambipom anyway. I included it more for the ability to outspeed things like Scarf Heracross and Crobat on the switch trying to sponge a Low Kick, although the use is very specific. At any rate, I've moved Low Sweep to AC now!

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
err, am check placeholder :>

Additions in blue
Deletions in red
Comments in green

[Overview]

<p>Ambipom is no longer the Pokemon it was in DPP. The addition of team preview of the fifth generationbrought about by BW has diminished its usefulness as a scouting lead, and in the BW2 UU metagame, Ambipom finds itself struggling to compete with the stronger Pokemon that now inhabit the tier. Even Ambipom's niche as a fast attacking Normal-type is at stake as it now faces competition from Cinccino for this title. As dire as itthings may seem for Ambipom, its strong priority in Fake Out and better coverage, help differentiate it from Cinccino. However, Ambipom remains one of the faster Pokemon in UU, and the combination of Fake Out and Return can still dispose of frail or weakened Pokemon with ease. Its coverage moves, together with the omnipresent threat of Switcheroo, have the potential to take would-be-counters by surprise, and there is always the threat of Switcheroo. Be warned though, Ambipom is not the type of Pokemon that you can just throw onto a team and expect it towith the intent of instant improvement. In fact, doing so will usually have just the opposite effect.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Strong priority, coverage and speed are what Ambipom has going for it, and this set looks to utilize thoese elements to the fullest. Ambipom's Fake Out is a useful tool for revenging weakened faster Pokemon and maintaining offensive momentum. The combination of the strong Technician boosted Fake Out and powerful STAB Return will do significant damage to Pokemon lacking in bulk and without a resistance to it. Low Kick looks to deal with Rocks and Steels that would shrug off Normal-type assaults, while Beat Up does away with Ghost-types that are immune to the rest of the moves. Low Kick's variable base power works well with Technician, as base powers of 60 and below are boosted, while still taking advantage of the power against heavier Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Registeel. Beat Up is Ambipom's best shot at damaging defensive juggernauts such as Cofagrigus and Slowbro, being able to cleanly 2HKOing Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus with a team of at least five remaining Pokemon, and while hasving a chance to 2HKO Defensive Slowbro after rocks with a full team of six. Beat Up also possesses the useful ability to OHKO Focus Sash Froslass as its multiple hits breaks through her sash. While lacking the benefits of Beat Up, Shadow Claw is a more reliable alternative, and still fares well against Ghosts such as Chandelure and Mismagius.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is the item of choice here as it allows Ambipom to maintain coverage while striking as hard as possible. The given EVs maximize Ambipom's Attack and Speed, while the leftover EVs are placed in Special Defense to prevent Download-utilizing Pokemon from getting the Special Attack boost in Download Pokemon. Low Sweep is a possible option over Low Kick. The speed drop from Low Sweep can, providing a potentially prove useful, h speed drop. However, be aware that it strengthens the power of Gyro Ball, most noteably from Bronzong, a common Ambipom switch-in. Seed Bomb is also an option over Low Kick, able to dish out swift OHKOs on Rhyperior and Swampert, Pokemon that usually take Ambipom's other moves with relative ease.</p>

<p>As with all offensive Pokemon, hazards enhance Ambipom's efficacy. Qwilfish makes a fine teammate for Ambipom, as it can switch in comfortably on the Fighting-types that Ambipom tends to draw and lay Spikes. Roserade can also support with spikes, and can set up with ease on bulky Water-types that love to switch into Ambipom, as well as defensive Ghosts such as Cofagrigus and Dusclops. Swampert is a good source of Stealth Rock for Ambipom and can sponge hits directed at Ambipom thanks to its great bulk and typing. Offensively, Ambipom can work well with Heracross, who can deal with problem Pokemon such as Rhyperior while Ambipom is able to lure and severely injure Cofagrigus a Pokemon, who Heracross has a notoritremendously hard time breaking through. Mienshao is in a similar boat as Heracross, but it can also help break through Gligar, who Ambipom struggles to beat, with a timely Hidden Power Ice.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works well due to the popularity of the previous set. Pokemon expecting to sponge a Fake Out will take a hefty Choice Banded Return to the face. Unlike the firstprevious set, this set has no priority to fall back on, and as such is even more reliant on Ambipom's speed in order to do work. Return is your main weapon, with Low Kick to pick uprovide some slackmuch-needed coverage-wise against Rocks and Steels. The last two moves are where it gets interesting. Beat Up is just as good as it wais on the Life Orb set and does the same job, keeping Ghosts at bay. Pursuit however is an interesting choice, as it gives Ambipom the opportunity to trap Pokemon such as a Chandelure Choice locked into Shadow Ball. Outside of this, however, a weak Choice Dark move is a dangerous thing to be locked into, so exercise caution when using it. Switcheroo is undoubtedly the ace up Ambipom's sleeve. It has the ability to mess upcripple the many defensive Pokemon that commonly switch into Ambipom, such as Suicune, Dusclops and Slowbro. Be careful when using Switcheroo against physically based Ambipom counters such as Rhyperior, though, as this strategy may end up working against you. U-turn allows Ambipom to take advantage of the switches that it causes to maintain offensive momentum by gaining a more favorable match up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs bolster Ambipom's Attack and Speed as much as possible, while the remaining EVs are placed in Special Defense to deny theDownload-utilizing Pokemon a Special Attack boost in Download Pokemon. Just like the firstprevious set, hazards are very much appreciated. Once again, Qwilfish and Roserade make great partners fordue to their ability to set up and sponge hits from Fighting-typers and bulky Waters-/Ghost-types respectively. Bronzong is a novel choice for Stealth Rock as it can weather hits in Ambipom's stead while throwing out Toxic to break down defensive Pokemon, making them easier to run through later on. On the offensive, this Ambipom pairs well with Azumarill forbecause of its ability to cripple bulky Waters by leaving them stuck with a Choice Band. Azumarill, who usually struggles to break past bulky Waters, will have a far easier time with them Choice locked and unable to counter itlaunch a properly counterattack. In return, Azumarill puts away Pokemon like Rhyperior and Gligar that tend to cause Ambipom problems. Rotom-H works well as an offensive partner too. WhenU-turn can be using U-turn,ed to form a VoltTurn set up can arise. ombo with Rotom-H&mdash;Rotom zaps bulky Waters and fries problematic Steels such as Bronzong and Registeel, while Ambipom slaps Umbreon andbreaks through Snorlax, about in return.</p>(Ambipom isn't going to be doing much to Umbreon with Low Kick anyways)

[Other Options]

<p>The moves listed in the above sets are those thatwhich Ambipom will get the most use out of,; however, its relatively wide movepool grants it quite a few alternative options. Fire Punch does a decent amount of damage to Bronzong and can combat the rare Escavalier. Aerial Ace hits fFighting-typers such as Hitmontop hard, and is boosted by Technician, but outside of this its coverage is redundant. Thunder Wave, Knock Off, and Taunt are all good support moves, but Ambipom's non-existentlack of bulk means that it will have difficulty using the moves effectively. Ambipom is also able to boost its stats via Hone Claws, Agility and Nasty Plot, howeverbut once again, Ambipom's frailty means you'll beit is often hard pressed to find timean opportunity to use such moves without taking heavy damage first. Ambipom can also Baton Pass the aforementioned boosts, but such a job is better left to more sturdbulky Pokemon such as Mew or Togekiss. Lastly, while a moveset of nothing but Fake Out and Last Resort may look appealing, it requires far too much support to be worthwhile, and is easily walled otherwise.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ambipom can hit hard, but it doesn't hit excessively hard. As such, Pokemon withhich have immunities and resistances to its STAB or, as well as those which possessing natural bulk, make good counters to it. Sableye stands out as a great counter, immune to both its Normal- and Fighting-type moves, while shrugging off its Dark- or Ghost-type coverage moves. Sableye can burn Ambipom with Will-O-Wisp, Recover off any damage done, and seriously hurt it with Foul Play. Bulky Steels such as Bronzong, Registeel and Cobalion can cause Ambipom difficulty, with Cobalion being able to OHKO it with its Fighting-type move of choice. However, with the exception of Bronzong, these Pokemon should be wary of Low Kick as it will leave a mark, especially on Cobalion that do not invest in dDefenses. Rhyperior is in a similar category as the Steels, but doesn't have to fear Low Kick as much thanks to Solid Rock and its gargantuan defense. It does, however, have to watch out for the odd Seed Bomb though, as itthis will constitute a swiftly OHKO. Bulky Water-types like Suicune, Milotic and Slowbro all make fine switch-ins and have the potential to burn Ambipom with their Scald. Beat Up with a healthyfull team will hurt Slowbro, but Regenerator can offset the damage done. Switcheroo is a danger to all defensive Pokemon and as such, these Pokemon are forced to proceed with extra caution against the Choice Band set.</p>

<p>If taking hits is not an option, being faster and possessing strong or super effective moves is are good ways to check Ambipom. Pokemon that fit this bill include Crobat, Weavile, and Choice Scarf Heracross. Strong priority from the likes of Azumarill, Arcanine, or Honchkrow can alsohelp to put Ambipom away swiftly. Ambipom is winning no awards defensively, so most neutral hits help send it to the grave soon enough.</p>

Note that this is just an am check, so implementation of these changes is optional.

Metric

is banned in America
Thanks for the amcheck, added some of the changes, and tweaked a few.

Just wanted to highlight the inaccuracy of this point though:
(Ambipom isn't going to be doing much to Umbreon with Low Kick anyways)
Jolly Ambipom's CB Low Kick [60 BP] vs. Standard Umbreon (Careful 252 HP / 4 Def): 57.4% - 67.5%

merry christmas colors~

<p>Ambipom is no longer the Pokemon it was in DPP. Team preview of the fifth generation has diminished its usefulness as a scouting lead, and in the UU metagame, Ambipom finds itself struggling to compete with the stronger Pokemon that now inhabit the tier. Even Ambipom's niche as a fast attacking 'offensive'? Normal-type is at stake, as it now faces competition from Cinccino for this title. As dire as things may might be for Ambipom, its strong priority in Fake Out and better coverage help to differentiate it from Cinccino, who is otherwise the superior Pokemon of the two. Fortunately for Ambipom, it remains one of the faster Pokemon in UU, and the combination of Fake Out and Return can still dispose of frail or weakened Pokemon with ease, while its coverage moves together with the threat of Switcheroo have the potential to take would-be-counters by surprise. Be warned though, that Ambipom is not the type of Pokemon that you can just throw onto a team expecting instant improvements; in fact, doing so will usually have the opposite effect.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Strong priority, coverage, and speed are what Ambipom has going for it, and this set looks to utilize these elements to the fullest. Ambipom's Fake Out is a useful tool for revenging weakened faster Pokemon and maintaining offensive momentum. The combination of Technician-boosted Fake Out and STAB Return will do significant damage to Pokemon lacking in bulk and without or a resistance to it. Low Kick looks to deal with Rock- and Steel-types that would shrug off Normal-type assaults, while Beat Up does away with Ghost-types that are immune to the rest of the its moves. Low Kick's variable Base Power works well with Technician, as base powers of 60 and below are boosted Technician boosts it against foes it hits for low Base Power, while still taking advantage of the power it still maintains high power against heavier Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Registeel. Beat Up is Ambipom's best shot at damaging defensive juggernauts such as Cofagrigus and Slowbro, cleanly 2HKOing Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus with a team of at least five remaining Pokemon, and has a chance to 2HKO defensive Slowbro after Stealth Rock with a full team of six. Beat Up also possesses the useful ability to OHKO Focus Sash Froslass as its multiple hits break through her sash. While lacking the benefits of Beat Up, Shadow Claw is a more reliable alternative and still fares well against Ghosts such as Chandelure and Mismagius.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is the item of choice here as it allows Ambipom to maintain coverage while striking as hard as possible. The given EVs maximize Ambipom's Attack and Speed, while the leftover EVs are placed in Special Defense to prevent the Special Attack boost in Pokemon with the Download ability. Low Sweep is a possible option over Low Kick, providing a potentially prove useful Speed drop. However, be aware that Low Sweep strengthens the power of Gyro Ball, most notably from Bronzong, a common Ambipom switch-in. Seed Bomb is also an option over Low Kick, being as it is able to 2HKO Rhyperior and OHKO Swampert, Pokemon that who usually take Ambipom's other moves with relative ease.</p>

<p>As with all offensive Pokemon, hazards enhance Ambipom's efficacy. Qwilfish makes a fine teammate for Ambipom, as it can switch in comfortably on the Fighting-types that Ambipom tends to draw and lay Spikes. Roserade can also support with Spikes, and can set up with ease on bulky Water-types that love to switch into Ambipom, as well as defensive Ghosts such as Cofagrigus and Dusclops. Swampert is a good source of Stealth Rock for Ambipom and can sponge hits directed at Ambipom thanks to its great bulk and typing. Offensively, Ambipom can work well with Heracross, who can deal with problem Pokemon such as Rhyperior while Ambipom is able to lure and severely injure Cofagrigus, who Heracross has a notoriously hard time breaking through. Mienshao is in a similar boat as Heracross, but it can also help break through Gligar, who Ambipom struggles to beat, with a timely Hidden Power Ice.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works well due to the popularity of the previous set. Pokemon expecting to sponge a Fake Out will take a hefty Choice Band-boosted Return to the face. Unlike the previous set, this set has no priority to fall back on, and as such is even more reliant on Ambipom's Speed in order to do work. Return is your its main weapon, with Low Kick to provide coverage against Rock- and Steel-types. The last two moves are where it gets interesting. Beat Up is just as good as it is on the Life Orb set and does the same job, namely keeping Ghosts at bay. Pursuit however is an interesting choice, as it gives Ambipom the opportunity to trap Pokemon such as a Chandelure Choice-locked into Shadow Ball. Outside of this, however, a weak Choice Dark move is a dangerous thing to be locked into, so exercise caution when using it. Switcheroo is undoubtedly the ace up Ambipom's sleeve. It has the ability to cripple the many defensive Pokemon that commonly switch into Ambipom, such as Suicune, Dusclops, and Slowbro. Be careful when using Switcheroo against physically based Ambipom counters such as Rhyperior, however, as this strategy may might end up working against you backfiring. U-turn allows Ambipom to take advantage of the switches that it causes to maintain offensive momentum by gaining a more favorable match-up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs bolster Ambipom's Attack and Speed as much as possible, while the remaining EVs are placed in Special Defense to deny Download Pokemon the a Special Attack boost in Pokemon with the Download ability. Just like As with the first set, hazards are very much appreciated. Once again, Qwilfish and Roserade make great partners for their ability to set up and sponge hits from Fighting-types and bulky Water-/Ghost-typees Water- or Ghost-types respectively. Bronzong is a novel choice for Stealth Rock as it can weather hits in Ambipom's stead while throwing out Toxic to break down defensive Pokemon, making them easier to run through later on. On the offensive, this Ambipom pairs well with Azumarill because of its ability to hamper bulky Waters by leaving them stuck with a Choice Band. Azumarill, who usually struggles to break past bulky Waters, will have a far easier time with them Choice-locked and unable to counter it properly. In return, Azumarill puts away deals easily with Pokemon like such as Rhyperior and Gligar, that who tend to cause Ambipom problems. Rotom-H works well as an offensive partner too, and when using U-turn, can form a VoltTurn set up duo can arise. Rotom zaps bulky Waters and fries problematic Steels such as Bronzong and Registeel, while Ambipom breaks through Umbreon and Snorlax in return.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>The moves listed in the above sets are those which Ambipom will get the most use out of; however, its relatively wide movepool grants it quite a few alternative options. Fire Punch does a decent amount of damage to Bronzong and can combat the rare Escavalier. Aerial Ace hits Fighting-types such as Hitmontop hard, and is boosted by Technician, but outside of this its coverage is redundant. Thunder Wave, Knock Off, and Taunt are all good support moves, but Ambipom's poor bulk means that it will have difficulty using the moves effectively. Ambipom is also able to boost its stats via Hone Claws, Agility and Nasty Plot, however once again, Ambipom's frailty means it is often be hard-pressed to find an opportunity to use such moves without taking heavy damage first. Ambipom can also Baton Pass the aforementioned boosts, but such a job is better left to more sturdy Pokemon, such as Mew or Togekiss. Lastly, while a moveset of nothing but Fake Out and Last Resort may look appealing, it requires far too much support to be worthwhile, and is easily walled otherwise.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ambipom can hit hard, but it doesn't hit excessively hard. As such, Pokemon which have immunities and resistances to its STAB as well as those which possess natural bulk, make good counters to it. Sableye stands out as a great counter, as it is immune to both its Ambipom's Normal- and Fighting-type moves, while shrugging and can shrug off its Dark- or Ghost-type coverage moves. Sableye can burn Ambipom with Will-O-Wisp, Recover off any damage done, and seriously hurt it with Foul Play. Bulky Steel-types such as Bronzong, Registeel, and Cobalion can cause Ambipom difficulty problems 'have difficulty with something', with Cobalion being able to OHKO with its Fighting-type move of choice. However, with the exception of Bronzong, these Pokemon should be wary of Low Kick as it will leave a mark, especially on Cobalion that do not invest in Defense. Rhyperior is in a similar category as the Steel-types, but doesn't have to fear Low Kick as much thanks to Solid Rock and its gargantuan defense. It does have to watch out for the odd Seed Bomb though, as it will 2HKO. Bulky Water-types like such as Suicune, Milotic and Slowbro all make fine switch-ins and have the potential to burn Ambipom with their Scald. Beat Up with a full team will hurt Slowbro, but Regenerator can offset the damage done. Switcheroo is a danger to all defensive Pokemon and as such, proceed with extra caution against the Choice Band set.</p>

<p>If taking hits is not an option, being faster Pokemon and possessing with strong or super effective moves are a good way to check Ambipom. Pokemon that fit this bill include Crobat, Weavile, and Choice Scarf Heracross. Strong priority from the likes of Azumarill, Arcanine, or and Honchkrow can also put Ambipom away swiftly. Ambipom is winning no awards defensively, so most neutral hits send it to the grave soon enough.</p>
make sure to catch all the commas and hyphens I added! specifically, note that it's 'switch-ins' and 'match-ups', and that smogon uses the serial comma (ie. Bronzong, Registeel, and Cobalion)

1/2

Metric

is banned in America
Thank you for the GP check, all changes implemented.

Just awaiting that final GP check now!

GP check. Good job on writing this. I changed a bunch of who's to which's because it seemed like you were generally using gender neutral pronouns. However, unless you refer to any of these particular Pokemon as it during the analysis (like you do with Rhyperior, but not Cinccino), I don't think you need to make those changes if you don't want to. Regardless, once again good job.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Ambipom is no longer the Pokemon it was in DPP. Team preview Preview has diminished its usefulness as a scouting lead, and in the UU metagame, Ambipom it finds itself struggling to compete with the stronger Pokemon that now inhabit the tier. Even Ambipom's niche as a fast offensive Normal-type is at stake, as it now faces competition from Cinccino for this title role. As However, as dire as things might be for Ambipom, its strong priority in Fake Out and better coverage still help to differentiate it from Cinccino, who which is otherwise the superior Pokemon of the two. Fortunately for Ambipom, it also remains one of the faster Pokemon in UU, and the combination of Fake Out and Return can still dispose of frail or weakened Pokemon with ease, while its coverage moves together with the threat of Switcheroo have the potential to take would-be-counters (remove hyphen between would-be and couunters) by surprise. Be warned (add comma) though (add comma) that Ambipom is not the type of Pokemon you can just throw onto a team expecting and expect instant improvements; in fact (add comma) doing so will usually have the opposite effect.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Strong priority, coverage, and speed Speed are what Ambipom has going for it, and this set looks to utilize these elements to the fullest. Ambipom's Fake Out is a useful tool for revenging weakened faster Pokemon and maintaining offensive momentum. The combination of Technician-boosted Fake Out and STAB Return will do significant damage to Pokemon lacking in bulk or a resistance to it. Low Kick looks to deal deals with Rock- and Steel-types that would shrug off Normal-type assaults, while Beat Up does away with Ghost-types that are immune to the rest of its Ambipom's moves. Low Kick's variable Base Power works well with Technician, as Technician boosts it against foes it hits for low Base Power, while it still maintains high power against heavier Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Registeel. Beat Up is Ambipom's best shot at damaging defensive juggernauts such as Cofagrigus and Slowbro, cleanly 2HKOing Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus with a team of at least five remaining Pokemon, (remove comma) and has having a chance to 2HKO defensive Slowbro after Stealth Rock with a full team of six. Beat Up also possesses the useful ability to OHKO Focus Sash Froslass as its multiple hits break through her sash. While lacking the benefits of Beat Up, Shadow Claw is a more reliable alternative and still fares well against Ghosts Ghost-types such as Chandelure and Mismagius.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is the item of choice here as it allows Ambipom to maintain coverage while striking as hard as possible. The given EVs maximize Ambipom's Attack and Speed, while the leftover EVs are placed in Special Defense to prevent the Special Attack boost in avoid giving Pokemon with the Download ability a Special Attack boost. Low Sweep is a possible an option over Low Kick, providing a potentially prove useful Speed drop. However, be aware that Low Sweep strengthens the power of Gyro Ball, most notably from Bronzong, a common Ambipom switch-in. Seed Bomb is also an option over Low Kick, as it is able to 2HKO Rhyperior and OHKO Swampert, who which usually take Ambipom's other moves with relative ease.</p>

<p>As with all offensive Pokemon, hazards enhance Ambipom's efficacy. Qwilfish makes a fine teammate for Ambipom, as it can switch in comfortably on the Fighting-types that Ambipom tends to draw and lay Spikes. Roserade can also support with Spikes, (remove comma) and can set up with ease on bulky Water-types that love to switch into Ambipom, (remove comma) as well as defensive Ghosts Ghost-types such as Cofagrigus and Dusclops. Swampert is a good source of Stealth Rock for Ambipom and can sponge hits directed at Ambipom thanks to its great bulk and typing. Offensively, Ambipom can work works well with Heracross, who which can deal with problem problematic Pokemon such as Rhyperior while Ambipom is able to lure and severely injure Cofagrigus, who which Heracross has a notoriously an incredibly hard time breaking through. Mienshao is in a similar boat as to Heracross, but it can also help break through Gligar, who which Ambipom struggles to beat, with a timely Hidden Power Ice.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works well due to the popularity of the previous set Ambipom's all-out attacker / Life Orb set. Pokemon expecting to sponge a Fake Out will take a hefty powerful Choice Band-boosted Return to the face. Unlike the previous set, As this set has no priority to fall back on, and as such it is even more very reliant on Ambipom's Speed in order to do work. Return is its main weapon, with Low Kick to provide providing coverage against Rock- and Steel-types. The last two moves are where it gets interesting. Beat Up is just as good as it is on the Life Orb set and does the same job, namely keeping Ghosts Ghost-types at bay. Pursuit (add comma) however (add comma) is an interesting choice, as it gives Ambipom the opportunity to trap Pokemon such as Chandelure Choice-locked into Shadow Ball. Outside of this, however, a weak Choice Dark Dark-type move is a dangerous thing to be locked into, so exercise caution when using it. Switcheroo is undoubtedly the ace up Ambipom's sleeve. It has the ability to cripple the many defensive Pokemon that commonly switch into Ambipom, such as Suicune, Dusclops, and Slowbro. Be careful when about using Switcheroo against physically based Ambipom counters such as Rhyperior, however, as this strategy might can end up backfiring. U-turn allows is a usable alternative, allowing Ambipom to take advantage of the switches that it causes to maintain offensive momentum by gaining a more favorable match-up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs bolster Ambipom's Attack and Speed as much as possible, while the remaining EVs are placed in Special Defense to deny Download Pokemon a Special Attack boost. As with the first Life Orb set, hazards are very much appreciated. Once again, Qwilfish and Roserade make great partners for their ability to set up and sponge hits from Fighting-types and bulky Water- or Ghost-types respectively. Bronzong is a novel choice for Stealth Rock as it can weather hits in Ambipom's stead while throwing out Toxic to break down defensive Pokemon, making them easier to run through later on. On the offensive Offensively, this Ambipom pairs well with Azumarill because of its ability to hamper bulky Waters Water-types by leaving them stuck with a Choice Band. Azumarill, who which usually struggles to break get past bulky Waters Water-types, will have a far easier time with them Choice-locked and unable to counter it properly. In return, Azumarill easily deals easily with Pokemon such as Rhyperior and Gligar, who which tend to cause Ambipom problems. Rotom-H works well as an offensive partner too, (remove comma) and (add comma) when Ambipom is using U-turn, can form a VoltTurn duo with it. Rotom Rotom-H zaps bulky Waters Water-types and fries problematic Steels Steel-types such as Bronzong and Registeel, while Ambipom breaks through Umbreon and Snorlax in return.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>The moves listed in the above sets are those which Ambipom will get the most use out of; however, its relatively wide movepool grants it quite a few alternative options. Fire Punch does a decent amount of damage to Bronzong and can combat the rare Escavalier. Aerial Ace hits Fighting-types such as Hitmontop hard, (remove comma) and is boosted by Technician, but outside of this (add comma) its coverage is redundant. Thunder Wave, Knock Off, and Taunt are all good support moves, but Ambipom's poor bulk means that it will have difficulty using the moves effectively. Ambipom is also able to boost its stats via Hone Claws, Agility (add comma) and Nasty Plot, (change to semicolon) however once again, Ambipom's frailty means it is often hard-pressed to find an opportunity to use such moves without taking heavy damage first. Ambipom can also Baton Pass the aforementioned boosts, but such a job is better left to more sturdy Pokemon, such as Mew or and Togekiss. Lastly, while a moveset of nothing but Fake Out and Last Resort may look appealing, it requires far too much support to be worthwhile, (remove comma) and is easily walled otherwise.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ambipom can hit hard, but it doesn't hit excessively hard. As such, Pokemon which have immunities and resistances to its STAB moves (add comma) as well as those which possess natural bulk, make good counters to it. Sableye stands out as a great counter, as it is immune to both Ambipom's Normal- and Fighting-type moves, (remove comma) and can shrug off its Dark- or and Ghost-type coverage moves. Sableye can burn Ambipom with Will-O-Wisp, Recover off any damage done, and seriously hurt it with Foul Play. Bulky Steel-types such as Bronzong, Registeel, and Cobalion can cause Ambipom problems, with Cobalion being able to OHKO with its Fighting-type move of choice. However, with the exception of Bronzong, these Pokemon should be wary of Low Kick as it will leave a mark, especially on Cobalion that do not invest in Defense. Rhyperior is in a similar category as the Steel-types, but doesn't have to fear Low Kick as much thanks to Solid Rock and its gargantuan defense. It does have to watch out for the odd Seed Bomb though, as it will 2HKO. Bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Milotic and Slowbro all make fine switch-ins and have the potential to burn Ambipom with Scald. Beat Up with a full team will hurt Slowbro, but Regenerator can offset the damage done. Switcheroo is a danger to all defensive Pokemon (add comma) and as such, proceed with extra caution against the Choice Band set.</p>

<p>If taking hits is not an option, faster Pokemon with strong or super effective moves are a good way to check Ambipom. Pokemon that fit this bill include Crobat, Weavile, and Choice Scarf Heracross. Strong priority from the likes of Azumarill, Arcanine, and Honchkrow can also put Ambipom away swiftly. Ambipom is winning no awards defensively, so most neutral hits send it to the grave soon enough.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Metric

is banned in America
Thank you melvni. All changes implemented.

Ambipom is now ready for the major leagues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)