Warstory: UU Trainer Battle

I know I said I wouldn't but I found this, and was feeling inspired ... but after almost three hours working on this blasted thing I can say with completely certainty I am now definitely war-storied out until the spring.

The Rules: Evasion Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Timed Battle

What you need to know: My pokemon are always referenced in Green my opponent's Blue. Coloured stars after a pokemon's name refer to status conditions: Burn, Leech Seed or Poison.

*Edit*
The battle is divided into sections, clearly marked by the pretty pokemon pictures. However all the pictures indicate is what pokemon appear in that section, so where you see w & x vs. y & z, it just means that each of these pokemon were used at some point, rather than being a double battle.

The scenario: Two battlers competing in the opening rounds of the prestigious UU Shoddy Cup.

(Please note the Shoddy Cup is completely fictitious - please don't go bothering Colin or any other Shoddy Battle mods asking where you can sign up)

The Battlers: The Trainer(Shiny Oddish) & His Opponent (Fade Away)

The Battle

vs.

Announcer: Its the opening round of the UU Shoddy Cup as The Trainer and His Opponent square off in what is hoped to be a hotly contested battle. Both combatants appear ready, as here come their first pokemon.​

The two pokemon speedsters faced each other, the arena lights glistening off Scyther's blades, Jumpluff bobbing in the gentle breeze blowing through the stadium, both eagerly awaiting a command from their trainer. A slight nod was all it took for Scyther to launch a blinding Quick Attack, which slammed straight into the flating weed. It clearly caused little damage as the nimble Jumpluff quickly turned releasing a cloud of spores that sent the hissing mantis into a deep slumber.

Announcer: Oh no! It appears to have fallen asleep. How will this affect the battle?​

vs.
&

Announcer: What will The Trainer do?

Recalling Scyther The Trainer sends out his trusted Meganium, that emerged from its pokeball with a startling cry, His Opponent capitalised upon the switch by having Jumpluff disappear behind a hastily constructed Substitute. The Trainer was unfazed as his Meganium had Hidden Power,and within moments the decoy was crumbling, destroyed by the icey bolt. Alas a second blast was met only by the waiting form of Hypno, the cotton weed having already sought the sanctuary of its pokeball. The hypnosis pokemon attempted to taunt the grass type, but with little affect, Meganium having already realeased its fragrant aroma, awakening the sleeping Scyther.

vs.
&

Announcer: Oh, it's Noctowl!

Predicting some sort of status attack The Trainier recalled Meganium, sending Noctowl to battle its fellow Insomniac. The gamble was rewared as Hypno unleashed a deadly toxin, but its aim was off its effort wasted. Pressing the advantage The Trainer ordered his Noctowl to attack, black energy crackling as the Night Shade attack struck home. Hypno responded once more with Toxic, this time successfully poisoning the wse owl. His Opponent's growing smile quickly turned into a grimace as Noctowl's eyes flashed, the toxins that had coursed through its system were drawn out, forming a purple haze that drifted ominously back toward Hypno, poisoning it.

Noctowl launched into another Night Shade attack, only to find that Jumpluff had reappeared to take the blow, its health bolstered thanks to Hypno's parting Wish. Taking the offensive His Opponent ordered Jumpluff to seed its opponent, before once more retreating behind a subtitute. The decoy was no match for Noctowl's* ghostly onslaught, but no sooner had one sub been destroyed another took its place. Frustrated His Opponent commanded Jumpluff to release its Sleep Powder once more, forgetting that the owl was an Insomniac, although Noctowl* did take a rest of sorts, using this opportunity to Roost off the effects of Jumpluff's Leech Seed. Realising that the little plant had little chance of stopping the wise bird His Opponent recalled it, sending sending Hypno* back into the fray, to be immediately met by another Night Shade.

&
vs.
&

Announcer: This heated battle continues. Who will emerge victorious?

Realising that His Opponent would commence by commanding Hypno* to Wish, The Trainer used this opportunity to recall Noctowl*, and replace it with the recently awakened Scyther. It would seem that His Opponent had prepared for this eventually, having unleased Altaria to effortlessly bear the brunt of Scyther's immediate U-Turn. Within moments Hypno* was once more in play, ready to face the expected Ice Beam of Wailord, the scarfed behemoth that had replaced Scyther.

Knowing that there was little Wailord could do to Hypno*, The Trainer sent Scyther out once more, only to see it cruelly poisoned. Scyther's U-Turn was once again met by a waiting Altaria, who fled immediately at the sight of the returning Wailord. Expectingas much The Trainer asked the great whale to lauch an awesome Water Spout, which sent the rapidly weakening Hypno* staggering. Unable to withstand a second blast, the hypnosis pokemon was out for the count.

Announcer: It's out of here!
6-5 The Trainer

vs.
&

When His Opponent released his own Scyther onto the battlefield, The Trainer immediately recalled Wailord, replacing him with Magcargo. Using that time to increase its Agility, Scyther launched an effective Brick Break attack upon the fiery snail, only to be met by a display of Ancient Power. Battered and bruised by the devastating rock attack it was all Scyther could do to Baton Pass its speed boost to the waiting Poliwrath, Magcargo using this opportunity to Recover off some of the damage.

&
&
vs.

Announcer: The trainer has recalled that pokemon. That must not be the right pokemon.

Expecting that his snail would be hypnotised, The Trainer sent out his own Hypno. His Opponent proceeded to have Poliwrath work itself into a battling frenzy, furiously drumming its fists into its belly. A Psychic blast from Hypno failed to fell the now furious amphibian who promptly KO'd it, unleashing a vicious waterfall attack. 5-5

Scyther* sprang from its poke ball launching once more into a Quick Attack hoping to stop Poliwrath's rampage, unfortunately another deadly torrent saw it meet the same watery fate as Hypno. 4-5 His Opponent

His heart sinking The Trainer knew that all his hope rested on Meganium, he silently prayed that his opponent lacked any ice type attacks. The poke gods must have taken pity on the trainer, as the chargings tadpole's Return attack failed to fell the herbacious grass type, whilst Meganium's green globe of energy sent the fighting frog flying. 4-4

vs.
&

Announcer: It's all even, as this exciting match continues...

Although Meganium had survived Poliwrath's attack it was visibily weakened, its legs shaking unsteadily, and so The Trainer recalled it sending out Magcargo. This proved to be a prudent move as His Opponent's Scyther emerged hissing from its pokeball, unleashing what would have been a deadly Aerial Ace. Knowing Scyther would be recalled recalled, The Trainer had his lava pokemon scatter Stealth Rocks across the battlefield, just in time to Altaria return to battle. It immediately began a graceful but deadly Dragon Dance, apparently unconcerned by Magcargo bombarding it with its Ancient Power. The situation began looking hopeless as it effortlessly Roosted off the damage, only to then deliberately crash to the ground, triggering a massive Earthquake. This tremor would have surely felled the fiery slug had its mysterious rock attacks not previously boosted its abilities. Barely able to focus Magcargo launched its final assault, a Lave Plume, which despite doing little damage to the resistant dragon, succeeded in burning it. A second Earthquake made short work of the incredibly weakened snail, which sank back into its shell, unable to battle further.
3-4 His Opponent

vs.
&

Announcer: Oh it's Wailord! Will this pokemon avenge the honour of its fallen teammate?

The Trainer smiled bitterly for His Opponent had predicted Wailord's reappearance, and replaced his Altaria*, thus curing its burn, with Scyther. The smile broadened quickly broadened when the weakened bug collapsed immediately, its wings and body torn and bloody from Magcargo's Steal Rock. 3-3

Jagged stones and an icy blast greeted the oncoming Raichu, but alas neither could prevent its Volt Tackle hit Wailord solidly. Sparks flew and the exhauseted behemoth collapsed under the pressure of the mighty blow. Unfortunately Raichu's momentum was too great, the impact proving too much for the electric mouse pokemon who promptly fainted alongisde the dazed whale. 2-2

&
vs.
&

Announcer: This battle is drawing to a conclusion...

The spectator's strained their necks upward as Noctowl and Altaria circled each other warily. Gasps echoed throughout the stadium as hypnotised by Noctowl, the dragon plummeted toward the ground. Cheers rang out as it awakened mere moments before impact, although undamaged the shock of the incident was clearly etched upon its majestic features. Jumpluff was sent out once more, in an attempt to wear down the sagacious bird, only to be promptly put to sleep, leaving a stealth rock weakened Altaria to face a barrage of Night Shade blasts, that, alas, proved to much for her. 2-1 Shiny Oddish

The Trainer smiled knowing that all that stood between him and victory was a sleeping Jumpluff, who emerging from its poke ball was caught upon the stealth rocks, fainting, never emerging from its slumber.

Announcer: We have a winner ...

Announcers post battle analysis.

Well of course the stars of The Trainer's team were undoubtedly Noctowl, Magcargo and Meganium.

Noctowl having successfully walled Jumpluff and Hypno earlier in the battle, proved too resiliant for Altaria and that same Jumpluff at the end.

Of course, we should not underestimate the significance of Magcargo's contribution, stopping what could have essentially been an sweep by Altaria and setting up those Stealth Rocks that proved oh so valuable toward the end of the battle.

And of course Meganium who possibly saved the match for The Trainer by eliminating that fearsome Poliwrath.

Unfortunately both Scyther amd Hypno, failed to impress.

Of course I should also like to convey my thanks to His Opponent (Fade Away), who battled so valiantly and made the match such a closely run contest.

Whoa! Can't say I've ever read a war story with this format, before. I had to read some sections over to understand what was going on, but it's a refreshing change from the log-commentary style that virtually every other story employs.

Uh... nice battle? I'm not sure what else to say...

Maybe it's just me but I actually prefer the log style warstory because I'm used to seeing it in that format and it's a lot easier to just skim through.
With this you pretty much have to read everything to get what's happening in the battle.

Nevertheless, it was an interesting battle and UU warstories are always welcome.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
great job shinyoddish, a refresing change from many boring satndard battles and i like the format, its very createive but i can imagin it takes hours to write.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm very impressed with the format. I enjoy the standard log format too, but for different reasons. This was definitely a refreshing change and I hope you use it again for your next one.

As for the battle itself, I liked it. This is how Pokemon battles should be. UU remains the most interesting of the tiers because of the variety it allows.

Really nice warstory. Nice to see a UU battle, and the format was really nice too. Short, but entertaining read.

Entertaining, I found it somewhat dramatic how each poke was revealed seperately rather than revelaing them all at the beginning.

I like the format, but its a little confusing to figure out whats going on.

It definately got me into the battle though. I really wanted to see Scyther rip apart Jumpluff...

Thanks everyone ... but I'm not sure that this particular style has been all that successful. The fact that people are finding the format confusing is worrying. I think that next time I shall perhas return to the format of my first two war-stories, opening with something a little different but leaving the bulk of the battle in log form. :/

Just to respond to a few specific pointers ...

Astrohawke
With this you pretty much have to read everything to get what's happening in the battle.
Sorry guess I overestimated the extent people are willing to read in war stories ...

Jarizos
only critque is to put battle dmg/ overall % after each mini log
I considered it, but in practise it only made everything more confusing, because for example at the end of the second section Hypno would still be at full health despite being hit (Leftovers).

*edit*

Trader
kinda hard to follow without HP percents
While I'm tempted to point out that were you actually watching the battle you wouldn't have convenient HP percents (you don't for example know when a boxer is about to keel over), it would seem that this clearly hasn't worked or I'm expecting too much from the reader.

Mods feel free to lock this if you are so inclined.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks everyone ... but I'm not sure that this particular style has been all that successful.
I think you're being way too hard on yourself. You got more positive feedback than negative.

It would be wordy, but you could always write it up this way, then post the log afterward. I guess it depends on if the mods are OK with having the same warstory in two formats.

I was quite confused on what's going on, but it's still a creative way to write a story. nice warstory btw

Very nicely written, it was a good change of pace from most of the warstories here.
Noctowl did a great job, and it seems UU Kyogre is gaining popularity

Wow Shiney Oddish. Thats a cool new Warstory format. I almost felt like I was actually watching it. Perhaps to make it more realistic, you should use the back sprites for your pokemon.

If I ever write a coherent warstory in the future, I will most definitely go with your precedented format Shiny Oddish. Sometimes I could see the battle happening in my mind as I read, and that's always cool.

This was also kind of eye-opening for me. I had no idea UU battles could be so fun- lots of new stuff to me and now I want to learn it!

A+ from me bro.

A bit confusing to understand what's happening.
But forgot that, reading your UU Warstories makes me want to go play UU too, it's very fun.

TheMaskedNitpicker
I think you're being way too hard on yourself. You got more positive feedback than negative.
Perhaps but the fact the a number of people have posted that they found it confusing suggests that somethings not right ...

GengarCrysis92
Its a great battle and format, but I don't understand the point in posting a fake battle. Was it to test out the format?
The battle itself wasn't fake, it took place between me and Fade Away a while back. As TheMaskedNitpicker said it was the UU Shoddy Cup that was fake, I've edited that part to make it clearer.

seds
Wow Shiney Oddish. Thats a cool new Warstory format.
Thanks that was the idea ...

seds
Perhaps to make it more realistic, you should use the back sprites for your pokemon.
Done. Although Wailord has a really crappy back sprite.

To all those finding it confusing I can only apologise I will try editing bits when I' slightly more awake to see if I can't make things clearer.

To everyone else thanks for bearing with it ... even if you didn;t understand I hope that its at least encouraged more people to try UU.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Oh wow, very nice.

I may have to take this idea of yours for the next time I make a warstory. >=0

Anyway, great read and nice to see a change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)