CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 4

How much Base Stat Total should our new Pokemon have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, time for the Base Stat total thread. Options are above, they don't really need any explaining.

The winners from last poll were Balanced, Physical, and Medium. This means our Ghost/Fighting Pokemon will have relatively the same ability to take damage as it does to deal it, be mostly Physical based in its manner of attacks, yet have relatively even defenses, and have somewhere between 60 and 85 speed.

People who are special and get to submit Stat spreads to me:
Deck Knight
Cooper
FutureSuperStar
Lord Sunday
DougJustDoug
King of Anime
Sanjay numbers
Gothic Togekiss
Eric the Espeon
Fishin / Other people I am forgetting

If I forgot you or you feel left out, mention it and I'll consider you. These are just the people I remembered off the top of my head.

all right first post. woot.

since the poll isnt up yet, im just going to hope that it isnt anything higher than 540 BST.

EDIT: went with 500 - 525 because i believe that will keep it from being too good, and cuz id rather not make an uber pogey this time. if it was grass, maybe, but thats next poll.

voting 500-525 because if this poke deserves anything it is lucario base stat total's or lower...try to diverse this pokemon by not being garchomp base stat total godly. People vote high base total stat because they want the best of the created pokemon and that's always going to be common...

Come on no pokemon has 0 base total

CRAB BATTLE!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
After seeing suggested spreads at 525, I'm thinking this needs another 5-10 BST to get where I like it. So, I'm voting for 535 -- right next to Swampert, who is the oft-mentioned stat prototype for this thing.

As a balanced pokemon that should have a decent base stat spread, I voted 500-525, like Lucario or Heracross. This should be enough, as it gives enough for ~100 Attack (as we wanted it to be psysical), or we can have it with low special attack for more leeway for defenses and HP. I'd like to see 80-95 base HP here; really nice considering it's a ghost.

I know that I am not one of the spread submitters but here is what I would like it to be. Assuming 526-545 wins which is what I meant to vote for but accidentally voted for 580 BST. It has to be balanced, but at the same time not too weak. Lets take a look a Porygon-2, its defensive stats may look like nothing special, but has we have all discovered, it can take a hit. My idea is to give it similar defenses to Porygon-2/Swampert/Garchomp while still giving it enough power to wreak havoc. Being a fighting type and all, it could make a good SubPuncher. Being immune to Seismic Toss, it doesn't have to worry too much about 404 HP. A good number I think would be 95. Not monstrously high but better than that of say Dusknoir/Spiritomb. Total Stats so far: 95

Now Attack. I think that we should give it very reasonable attacking power because of the great coverage provided by the attacks. If I had a choice, I would put most of this emphasis on attack, and since I do, I will. Give it enough to easily OHKO Blissey with say... Cross Chop and not too much EV investment. I like the idea of 115. It is rather high, but every poke has their supreme stats. Total Stats so far: 210

Defense. This should be pretty good. Probably similar to Garchomp or Swamperts. Enough to let it be called Physically Bulky, but nothing like Metagross or anything. Since it has slightly low HP, I think a good idea would be to make it slightly higher than Swampert, but then again this has better attack and arguably better typing. 90 doesn't seem too broken, maybe make it a little more potent at walling special attacks. Total Stats so far: 300

Special Attack. Completely unnecessary I will figure it out judging by how much room there is left at the end.

Special Defense. I don't really have a reason for this, but I think 100 is the way to go. Although its typing is slightly better for walling Physical Hits, if it had all that physical defense, it would be broken. Total so far...: 400

Speed: I want it to be faster than Dusknoir, so it can counter more crap... I say just give it the fairly good speed stat of 80. Total so far: 480.

Coming back on the topic of special attack, it can have between 46 and 65. 60 is not too low to make it look like it is forced there.

Final total: 540
95/115/90/60/100/80

I love how when I post a clicky poll, responses disappear.

Honestly, the non-clicky polls reach two pages within thirty minutes; this has been up for an hour and has 10 posts not by me. That's some discussion we are having.

People who are special and get to submit Stat spreads to me:
Deck Knight
Cooper
FutureSuperStar
Lord Sunday
DougJustDoug
King of Anime
Sanjay numbers

If I forgot you or you feel left out, mention it and I'll consider you. These are just the people I remembered off the top of my head.
Erh...forgot me lol

Edit: Also voted for 526-540 though 500-525 is my second choice.

Erh...forgot me lol

Edit: Also voted for 526-540 though 500-525 is my second choice.
Especially weird since you were the last person to post in the last thread.

Anyways, for some real discussion. I like Rhykune's spread. I would sort of prefer to take 10 speed and add it to defense, but its a really nice spread all around.

Anyways, for some real discussion. I like Rhykune's spread. I would sort of prefer to take 10 speed and add it to defense, but its a really nice spread all around.
Yes...very weird.

By the way the poll is looking, I might have to revise me given stat spread again.

You would have to, because of the polls. We wanted it to excel in Def. and Atk, and wanted lower speed.

Damn, I'm not special >_>

I'm going for 500-525. Spiritomb, with it's stat total of 485 and very limited movepool, has managed to find a niche for itself in OU. This pokemon has significantly better typing (yes, it has weaknesses, but it also has many more useful resistances, is able to act as a counter to one of the biggest threats in the metagame, and has the best STAB combo in existence) and will probably have a better movepool, so 525 is probably a safe upper limit.

As for actual stat spreads...this can act as a Heracross counter as long as it's stats aren't a joke like 50/50, so no worries there. I think I calculated that for it to not be 2HKO'd by CB TTar Crunch (assuming lefties, max hp/def and +nature) it needs at least 90/90. Since we've already decided that it's going to be a balanced pokemon, I'd say that somewhere slightly above there is a good place to put hp/def (to make up for SS/SR and whatnot).

As far as attack goes, keeping in mind that this thing's already got the best STAB combo possible and again, is meant to be balanced, I'd say somewhere in the 90-110 area is a good spot. Too much attack and we're entering the overpowered realm (again, NOTHING resists both it's STAB's, and many of the things that would be bulky enough to take repeated hits, like Hippo, would be turned into setup bait by a Bulk Up set if they're lacking Roar). I mentioned the fact that it can OHKO or nearly OHKO several of the things that can really threaten it (Alakazam, Gengar, Medicham, Azelf, and Mismagius), which are rare enough already, with once Bulk-up'd Shadow Sneak if it has 100 base attack. I'm not sure if we should avoid giving it Shadow Sneak or see how it flies, so...eh.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been working out stat spreads for the two most popular options (525 and 540) and I think you'll like them.

For a preview of what I have worked out:

Basically I wanted to stay true to the polls we've had. A Mixed pokemon that leans physical. While I did give it a decent amount of special defense, it still has much more physical stats. I gave it decent HP so it could take hits. It's special attack is nothing to write home about, but it isn't impotent either. It will be able to use Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball enough to make the cut.

Now, what I love about Ghost/Fight is the great set of resistances. Immunity to Normal and Fighting, + a 4x Bug resist and a 2x Rock resist (and 2x poison resist, for those who care.)

Therefore, my mixed spread has a decent attack stat, but I focused more on defense.

For Speed I decided to make a funny since we're doing a ghost and all, and the last 3 numbers in its spread are *6/66. 66 is a good LOL beats base 65's speed and it's 5 base more than TTar. With 40 EV's it outspeeds Skarmory.

As far as overall durability, you will be pleasantly surprised to find its Substitutes can withstand a 0 SA Blissey's Ice Beam and Thunderbolt with no EV investment. If you max HP on the 525 BST pokemon you should be able to Sub on my favored Blissey set, which maxes defense, goes to the next Lefties HP, and dumps the remaining 232 EV's in SA. If Bliss hits max damage the 525 BST Sub will break but not the 540 (which has the same SD but more HP)

I don't really want to share because someone might upstage me, but you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are no 0's or 5's in my spread, bar one zero on the 100-109 stat I have :D

Fishin, you are actually someone I would consider for this job. It's just after including everyone who has been active throughout this poll and the last I am left with one slot (I forgot Eric the Espeon but am about to add him in). I really don't want any more than ten options. If no one else stands out, I'll give you the priviledge, but I might be forgetting a more active member.

I know that I am not one of the spread submitters but here is what I would like it to be. Assuming 526-545 wins which is what I meant to vote for but accidentally voted for 580 BST. It has to be balanced, but at the same time not too weak. Lets take a look a Porygon-2, its defensive stats may look like nothing special, but has we have all discovered, it can take a hit. My idea is to give it similar defenses to Porygon-2/Swampert/Garchomp while still giving it enough power to wreak havoc. Being a fighting type and all, it could make a good SubPuncher. Being immune to Seismic Toss, it doesn't have to worry too much about 404 HP. A good number I think would be 95. Not monstrously high but better than that of say Dusknoir/Spiritomb. Total Stats so far: 95

Now Attack. I think that we should give it very reasonable attacking power because of the great coverage provided by the attacks. If I had a choice, I would put most of this emphasis on attack, and since I do, I will. Give it enough to easily OHKO Blissey with say... Cross Chop and not too much EV investment. I like the idea of 115. It is rather high, but every poke has their supreme stats. Total Stats so far: 210

Defense. This should be pretty good. Probably similar to Garchomp or Swamperts. Enough to let it be called Physically Bulky, but nothing like Metagross or anything. Since it has slightly low HP, I think a good idea would be to make it slightly higher than Swampert, but then again this has better attack and arguably better typing. 90 doesn't seem too broken, maybe make it a little more potent at walling special attacks. Total Stats so far: 300

Special Attack. Completely unnecessary I will figure it out judging by how much room there is left at the end.

Special Defense. I don't really have a reason for this, but I think 100 is the way to go. Although its typing is slightly better for walling Physical Hits, if it had all that physical defense, it would be broken. Total so far...: 400

Speed: I want it to be faster than Dusknoir, so it can counter more crap... I say just give it the fairly good speed stat of 80. Total so far: 480.

Coming back on the topic of special attack, it can have between 46 and 65. 60 is not too low to make it look like it is forced there.

Final total: 540
95/115/90/60/100/80
I know I'm not special but...
Since it is looking like 500-525 is going to win. I am just going to take a little from attack and speed.

95/110/90/60/100/70
Final Total: 525

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eh, I might as well post what I have for my 525 BST option. People can only benefit from the work I put into it.

83/101/118/71/86/66.
BST = 525.

So as you can see, decent HP, balanced defenses with a lean towards physical, a good attack stat, and 66 speed as promised.

Essentially this should be sturdy enough to use Bulk Up, it's Subs can easily survive aforementioned standard Blissey special attacks, it's SA isn't super but is still usable with STABs.

You should be happy about the HP. With 0 EVs it results in 307. With 252 it results in 370. These are both just above the Leftovers mark and won't interfere with a Sub/Protect strategy.

I feel this will be an effective spread that has the natural "feel" of a Ghost or Fighter without being blatantly broken. It takes more inspiration spread-wise from Sableye and Banette, the only two ghosts which actually have more defense than special defense. They also happen to be the most "solid" ghosts. Funnily enough Breloom and Poliwrath are the only fighters with more defense than SD, but there's still precedent for this kind of spread. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Also on the defenses, I just checked vs. Gliscor and Donphan:

252/252 Impish Gliscor: 354 * 383 = 135,582

252/252 Impish Donphan: 384 * 372 = 144,000

252/252 Impish Ghost/Fite: 370 * 369 = 136,530.

So this is a little better than Gliscor but a bit worse than Donphan. It takes special hits better than either of them and even takes special hits better than Spiritomb. Dusknoir still beats it by a sizable margin.

252/252 Calm Spiritomb: 304 * 346 = 105,184

252/252 Calm Dusknoir: 294 * 405 = 119,070

252/252 Calm Ghost/Fite: 370 * 298 = 110,260.

So yeah, I think this will be able to take a hit, but not dish out overwhelmingly powerful ones, even after Bulk Up. It's too slow to really utilize Close Combat, Cross Chop has crap PP/shaky Acc, and Brick Break is weak.

Eh, I might as well post what I have for my 525 BST option. People can only benefit from the work I put into it.

83/101/118/71/86/66.
BST = 525.

So as you can see, decent HP, balanced defenses with a lean towards physical, a good attack stat, and 66 speed as promised.

Essentially this should be sturdy enough to use Bulk Up, it's Subs can easily survive aforementioned standard Blissey special attacks, it's SA isn't super but is still usable with STABs.

You should be happy about the HP. With 0 EVs it results in 307. With 252 it results in 370. These are both just above the Leftovers mark and won't interfere with a Sub/Protect strategy.

I feel this will be an effective spread that has the natural "feel" of a Ghost or Fighter without being blatantly broken. It takes more inspiration spread-wise from Sableye and Banette, the only two ghosts which actually have more defense than special defense. They also happen to be the most "solid" ghosts. Funnily enough Breloom and Poliwrath are the only fighters with more defense than SD, but there's still precedent for this kind of spread. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I think you hsould take some points out of defense and put them in sp.def and atk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)